• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Manbig

GGs in Virtua Fighter to AAK and Tera. My trolly polly gimmick Aoi can get me pretty far sometimes.

AAK, ya just gotta relax on that 2P. You follow it up every time. Even when it's blocked. I'm thinking I should play this game a little more now. I can't even fuzzy anymore. Too much Tekken!

Speaking of Tekken, no worries, Sayah. I've got links!

Part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/manny_biggz/b/407039208/?t=12m10s
Part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/manny_biggz/b/407428872/?t=19m40s
Part 3: http://www.twitch.tv/manny_biggz/b/409638166

And with that, I'm finished! Does anyone know a way I can download these videos off of twitch? I didn't set my stream to record to my PC, so I have to download them.

AAK

But 2P is SOOO GOOD in VF! I would only be scared of Vanessa or El Blaze since they have a hop Knee or low crush launcher and such. It kills momentum so proficiently!

/words from a VF noob

EDIT: I think devastator might know how to download from twitch.

Manbig

For whatever reason, that twitch video downloader is only giving me the first half hour of part 1. When I click on next page, it shows nothing. Is there another one I can try?

bum, bum, bum, BUM.... Another one bites the dust........

RunitBlack on Facebook:

"I'M Quitting after EVO... I can't wait for this last push coming up its been FUN meeting everyone and playing."

So we have KOR and RiB both retiring after EVO.

KOR, Kane and RiB? Dayum. It hasn't even been a year since the game released on consoles. A lot of people quitting or switching over to Injustice. :/

New blood needs to rise.

Also, sorry Manny. I was sleeping and missed your stream.

Well, that just means AAK, Terareflection, Sayah, Manbig and some other high level GAF TTT2 players should take their place in the tournament scene. You guys could be the new blood.

Are people really switching to Injustice? The demo seemed solid, but is it really that good for so many people dropping TTT2, UMVC3 and even DOA5 that I know? Like 60% of my friends list play it on a regular basis and want me to get it. I would imagine that it is probably easier to understand and play than TTT2, but I am a little surprised how many people are embracing it now. Then again, the DC comics license probably has something to do with it.

AAK

For whatever reason, that twitch video downloader is only giving me the first half hour of part 1. When I click on next page, it shows nothing. Is there another one I can try?

From the webpage it says:

Note: The maximum length of a video is 30 minute. If you want an archive segment larger than that you will need to download multiple videos and merge then together locally.

Maybe there is a way to selectively choose different 30 minute portions from the video?

Well, that just means AAK, Terareflection, Sayah, Manbig and some other high level GAF TTT2 players should take their place in the tournament scene. You guys could be the new blood.

I will go whenever I can. The next big major in Canada is in August and I plan to attend. I'd love to go to a lot of majors in the US but because of passport restrictions I can't. I will see what happens, but I am graduating hopefully this December and I'm probably going to have to move to a relatively remote location far from a central city to get work. Once that happens I feel my tournament venturing days will be over too. And besides, I played KOR and watched GM play. There is a millennium of difference between me and them. For me to compensate my lack of execution/reactions/knowledge/and overall talent it would take me an exorbitant amount of hours to gain such experience. And unfortunately I don't have the scene and people with as much drive to accomplish this. I'm sorry to make excuses but this is the reality of the competitive scene. How well you do in the majors is directly proportional to the level of competition you face in your local area.

Are people really switching to Injustice? The demo seemed solid, but is it really that good for so many people dropping TTT2, UMVC3 and even DOA5 that I know? Like 60% of my friends list play it on a regular basis and want me to get it. I would imagine that it is probably easier to understand and play than TTT2, but I am a little surprised how many people are embracing it now. Then again, the DC comics license probably has something to do with it.

I bought Injustice day one. But before even opening the wrap I returned it. I got to play it at a friend's place and it did seem interesting but the character designs were the main things that pushed me away. It's the same reason I don't play Arcana Heart (character design) but instead of it being disgusting, the DC characters are just so boring. Everyone in the cast is Caucasian/shaved/groomed haircut/wearing spandex. MK had some awesome designs which wasn't held back by any license. That's the main reason I decided to not play it. And if I was going to learn a new game, I'd much rather it be KOFXIII, Skullgirls, or even SFxT.

Manbig

Maybe there is a way to selectively choose different 30 minute portions from the video?

It allows me to do that for the other parts, but part 1 it only shows the first half hour.

As AAK has pointed out, it takes an unreasonable amount of time to get good enough to compete in Tekken. I've played people like GM and Fab on several occasions, so I know first hand how that goes.

Dereck

Does anyone know anything about Powerman_305? I think he was in Ghost Battle in Tekken 6, and he is also a ghost in TTT2. Apparently dude is top 4 Lei/Leo player on PSN.. Has anyone seen a match of his?

Does anyone know anything about Powerman_305? I think he was in Ghost Battle in Tekken 6, and he is also a ghost in TTT2. Apparently dude is top 4 Lei/Leo player on PSN.. Has anyone seen a match of his?

Powerman is WayGamble's alt account, he's from Florida. He has fun with it though by denying it's really him. There was an Arturo stream night as well as a Rip stream night he was in the chat as WayGamble but playing on stream as Powerman, and people were trying to get him to talk in the chat while matches were going on to prove it wasn't him playing. Fun stuff.

lol no, I am no where near those three.

Sayah

haha, I don't know if I'm that good but thanks. Unfortunately, attending a lot of tournaments isn't very feasible for me either. I would like to but I can't. I'm starting grad school in the fall. After finishing my bachelor's last year, I took a one year break to do an internship/take some online courses. And I'm going to school out of state so the tuition is going to be crazy and I'm already trying to work two jobs and save money so I don't have to worry about loans.

As AAK has pointed out, it takes an unreasonable amount of time to get good enough to compete in Tekken. I've played people like GM and Fab on several occasions, so I know first hand how that goes.

I will go whenever I can. The next big major in Canada is in August and I plan to attend. I'd love to go to a lot of majors in the US but because of passport restrictions I can't. I will see what happens, but I am graduating hopefully this December and I'm probably going to have to move to a relatively remote location far from a central city to get work. Once that happens I feel my tournament venturing days will be over too. And besides, I played KOR and watched GM play. There is a millennium of difference between me and them. For me to compensate my lack of execution/reactions/knowledge/and overall talent it would take me an exorbitant amount of hours to gain such experience. And unfortunately I don't have the scene and people with as much drive to accomplish this. I'm sorry to make excuses but this is the reality of the competitive scene. How well you do in the majors is directly proportional to the level of competition you face in your local area.
I think you are both underestimating your skills and overestimating the time required to get better. I don't know how much time JDCR and other top Koreans have put in the game since its arcade release but recently (per JDCR interview), they've been putting 5-6 hours per week recently which is like less than an hour per day.

It's almost impossible to have perfect matchup knowledge of every character unless Tekken is your life. And having a lot of great matchup knowledge doesn't always translate into the player playing really well and doing really well. I think top players just have great fundamentals.

I definitely agree with local competition being a big factor, though.

GGs in Virtua Fighter to AAK and Tera. My trolly polly gimmick Aoi can get me pretty far sometimes.

AAK, ya just gotta relax on that 2P. You follow it up every time. Even when it's blocked. I'm thinking I should play this game a little more now. I can't even fuzzy anymore. Too much Tekken!

Speaking of Tekken, no worries, Sayah. I've got links!

Part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/manny_biggz/b/407039208/?t=12m10s
Part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/manny_biggz/b/407428872/?t=19m40s
Part 3: http://www.twitch.tv/manny_biggz/b/409638166

And with that, I'm finished! Does anyone know a way I can download these videos off of twitch? I didn't set my stream to record to my PC, so I have to download them.

Niiiiiiiiice. Once again, thanks for all of this. I've actually improved against marduk players.

Manbig

haha, I don't know if I'm that good but thanks. Unfortunately, attending a lot of tournaments isn't very feasible for me either. I would like to but I can't. I'm starting grad school in the fall. After finishing my bachelor's last year, I took a one year break to do an internship/take some online courses. And I'm going to school out of state so the tuition is going to be crazy and I'm already trying to work two jobs and save money so I don't have to worry about loans.

I think you are both underestimating your skills and overestimating the time required to get better. I don't know how much time JDCR and other top Koreans have put in the game since its arcade release but recently (per JDCR interview), they've been putting 5-6 hours per week recently which is like less than an hour per day.

It's almost impossible to have perfect matchup knowledge of every character unless Tekken is your life. And having a lot of great matchup knowledge doesn't always translate into the player playing really well and doing really well. I think top players just have great fundamentals.

Niiiiiiiiice. Once again, thanks for all of this. I've actually improved against marduk players.

You have to remember that JDCR has been playing the series a ton before Tag 2's release. The fundamentals of Tekken mostly carry over. This is why Nin is quoted in saying that it takes 2 years to get good enough to compete at Tekken. While I don't know if I 100% agree with that, I do know that it takes a ludicrous amount of time to get there. GM and Fab spent all of Tekken DR to get good enough to travel and compete in Tekken 6. I think the highest Fab got in DR was a top 8 placement at EVO, but look at him now. GM spent the end of DR's lifespan dominating locally, but never traveling. After T6 came out, everyone got to see how much of a monster he really was. And I KNOW that he spent and INSANE amount of time to get as good as he got.

I highly respect those that have pulled it off. I just know that I'm not willing to go down that road myself. I like playing a lot of other games and I like having my personal life intact. I'm not willing to sacrifice either of those to compete at a game. Especially when the competitive scene for the game is kind of dying anyway.

DEATH™

You have to remember that JDCR has been playing the series a ton before Tag 2's release. The fundamentals of Tekken mostly carry over. This is why Nin is quoted in saying that it takes 2 years to get good enough to compete at Tekken. While I don't know if I 100% agree with that, I do know that it takes a ludicrous amount of time to get there. GM and Fab spent all of Tekken DR to get good enough to travel and compete in Tekken 6. I think the highest Fab got in DR was a top 8 placement at EVO, but look at him now. GM spent the end of DR's lifespan dominating locally, but never traveling. After T6 came out, everyone got to see how much of a monster he really was. And I KNOW that he spent and INSANE amount of time to get as good as he got.

I highly respect those that have pulled it off. I just know that I'm not willing to go down that road myself. I like playing a lot of other games and I like having my personal life intact. I'm not willing to sacrifice either of those to compete at a game. Especially when the competitive scene for the game is kind of dying anyway.

The problem is we don't have to sacrifice personal matters in a game if we have arcades around... Arcades are like a sports bar of some sorts, people come over there every week not to just watch a game and get some wings, there are also there to meet other people, have that sports-centered atmosphere, and definitely have fun. Arcades act like this but on games. You can have that competitive atmosphere, yet you meet people and learning in a non-tedious way because you are having fun. Even if you only go once a week will suffice. The problem now is the only way to get that experience is going to tournaments, and we all know how hard it is for us to commit on that. Kinda like not everyone can afford buying a game ticket let alone a season pass...

AAK

lol no, I am no where near those three.

IMHO when I play you you outsmart me the majority of the time. The only reason I ever prevail is just because of character knowledge and execution. You really play smart and safe, a MUCH better habit than my insanity of going ham. If you played as much as I did, you'd easily be the better player.

It allows me to do that for the other parts, but part 1 it only shows the first half hour.

I was fiddling around with DownThemAll! Addon for Mozilla and I was having the same trouble downloading long videos. However, when I play the video and I move the cursor past the 30 min mark, the download for the next 30 minutes get available. And then when I put the cursor on the 1 hour mark, the 3rd 30 minutes get available and so on. So try that, maybe that will solve your problem.

Powerman is WayGamble's alt account, he's from Florida. He has fun with it though by denying it's really him. There was an Arturo stream night as well as a Rip stream night he was in the chat as WayGamble but playing on stream as Powerman, and people were trying to get him to talk in the chat while matches were going on to prove it wasn't him playing. Fun stuff.

Oh wow, I never knew that Haha! That's too good.

I'll be honest, Tekken WAS my life for a big part since TTT2's release and even before. The amount of match videos I watched before the release (which helped me write the guide) was staggering and now I've hit almost 830 hours in my playcount post release. I played the game equally as much as GM or JDCR did.

The big difference is that I was playing and enjoying myself but not training smart. Those guys KNEW what the most efficient means to improve were and concentrated on them before any bad habits would corrupt their play style. Unfortunately for me, there is so many things stuck in my muscle memory that severely hinder myself as a player. Manny can vouch for this. I think I do have above average skills in fuzzy guarding in Tekken and blocking a lot of lows that come out. But my muscle memory prevents me from capitalizing form them and launching my opponents. Those 100's of hours have ingrained my neurons to always press those same buttons everytime and I'm finding it really hard to untrain myself. It's these little things along with my lack of practicing execution by itself (BDC, Consistency in Combo's, Crouch Cancelling, Sidestep punishing) that I know separates me from being intermediate to a good Tekken player.

But I'm not giving up, hopefully I'll conquer these demons and level up :)

Manbig

DEATH™;60024089 said:
The problem is we don't have to sacrifice personal matters in a game if we have arcades around... Arcades are like a sports bar of some sorts, people come over there every week not to just watch a game and get some wings, there are also there to meet other people, have that sports-centered atmosphere, and definitely have fun. Arcades act like this but on games. You can have that competitive atmosphere, yet you meet people and learning in a non-tedious way because you are having fun. Even if you only go once a week will suffice. The problem now is the only way to get that experience is going to tournaments, and we all know how hard it is for us to commit on that. Kinda like not everyone can afford buying a game ticket let alone a season pass...

I agree with you. I've mentioned it before, but when 5.0 - DR were around in Chinatown Fair, the scene was bumping. I believe Fab mentioned this in the recent ATPcast. You always knew that Friday night was Chinatown Fair night. You would easily find at least 10 different players to play with, but often even more than that. On top of that we had 2 cabinets, so the wait on line wasn't too bad.

While I fell off when Tekken 6 hit due to personal matters, it was still fairly popular early on, but not as popular due to Henry Cen setting the machine to $1 per game and most people feeling that the set up was laggy. Still, you could count on Friday nights being fairly packed for Tekken.

Eventually Tekken 6 console hit and everyone just kinda stopped going. The belief that the cabinet was laggy along with having online play just made everyone say "Why travel via train/car all the way to chinatown in Manhattan just to play on a overpriced and laggy set up when I can stay home and just play online?"

This led to an absolute halt in a lot of people leveling up their games and eventually led to the situation that my local scene has now. Most of the best players only really play each other and don't really invite anyone else to sessions to help level them up. Sometimes they'll ask publicly on the facebook, but that's less and less common. Back in the arcade days, any jobber could get a chance to level up off of the great players just by jumping on the machine and asking questions. We simply don't have that luxury anymore. Now we have this weird dichotomy in the scene where just about no new players are stepping up simply because they don't really have a good chance to. This makes some of the newer players feel like they're being left out on purpose also and that doesn't really help the situation.

So yeah, that's the NYC Tekken scene in a nutshell from my perspective...

On a random side note, I love your avatar, Death.

Sayah

^^^^^^^^
Yeah, online is part of the reason the local scenes have died down, I'd imagine. Why commute all the way to a local gathering when I can find a lot of diverse competition online? That's probably the thought that prevails. Tekken may be dying in local scenes but it is one of the most active online fighting games.
I'll be honest, Tekken WAS my life for a big part since TTT2's release and even before. The amount of match videos I watched before the release (which helped me write the guide) was staggering and now I've hit almost 830 hours in my playcount post release. I played the game equally as much as GM or JDCR did.

The big difference is that I was playing and enjoying myself but not training smart. Those guys KNEW what the most efficient means to improve were and concentrated on them before any bad habits would corrupt their play style. Unfortunately for me, there is so many things stuck in my muscle memory that severely hinder myself as a player. Manny can vouch for this. I think I do have above average skills in fuzzy guarding in Tekken and blocking a lot of lows that come out. But my muscle memory prevents me from capitalizing form them and launching my opponents. Those 100's of hours have ingrained my neurons to always press those same buttons everytime and I'm finding it really hard to untrain myself. It's these little things along with my lack of practicing execution by itself (BDC, Consistency in Combo's, Crouch Cancelling, Sidestep punishing) that I know separates me from being intermediate to a good Tekken player.

But I'm not giving up, hopefully I'll conquer these demons and level up :)

AAK, man, you've come so far in this series. You should really look back at your T6 self and compare that person to the TTT2 player now. There is a VAST difference. I know because I've been playing against you online for years now. You may not be super top tier player but I have no doubt that you would be able to get games off of the known top players.

All those hours didn't go to waste. You are waaaaaaay better than before.

I think it's feasible when Tekken is practically the only game you care about (which has been the case for me since the September release). Whatever free time I have left goes to Tekken. I haven't really put my life away for Tekken but I'm still able to consistently play and have fun. I'll make TTT2 my secondary game as soon as Smash Bros. 4 hits but until then, there's nothing that really intrigues me and compels me to drop TTT2.

If you have other games you want to play/get better at, then I can see how it can be hard to learn Tekken. I really want to get better at Marvel, for instance, but it's hard when my free time ends up going to Tekken anyway.

There is clearly a commitment required but I don't think it's anything crazy like two years. People just have to practice smart and not waste time.

What am I supposed to do about capital punishment? It's long range, safe, mid and seems to track well. I just get baited into that move repeatedly and the only thing I can do is try and make if whiff. :/

Most annoying moves to get hit by:

Capital Punishment
Lili's ff+4 and cartwheel
Heihachi's d/b+2
Chang's Bow and Arrow
Lars' u/f+3
King's hopkick (idk why, but this is 10 times more annoying than any other hopkick in the game)
Bryan's snake edge/orbital heel mixup ;_;
Hwoarang/Capos everything :p

Anything I'm missing?

What am I supposed to do about capital punishment? It's long range, safe, mid and seems to track well. I just get baited into that move repeatedly and the only thing I can do is try and make if whiff. :/

Most annoying moves to get hit by:

Capital Punishment
Lili's ff+4 and cartwheel
Heihachi's d/b+2
Chang's Bow and Arrow
Lars' u/f+3
King's hopkick (idk why, but this is 10 times more annoying than any other hopkick in the game)
Bryan's snake edge/orbital heel mixup ;_;
Hwoarang/Capos everything :p

Anything I'm missing?

Don't duck!!! Or duck??? I've just learned to deal with it, but I've been playing Tekken since Tag 1.

Bryan's snake edge is "see-able". You just gotta get use to reacting.
Against Hwoarang I BDC cancel and whiff punish when he starts dancing around in flamingo.
Against Capos I play Marduk. db+2 when in relaxed, takes care of a lot of mix-up BS.

My Mains are Paul/Marduk Bruce/Marduk BTW

Don't duck!!! Or duck??? I've just learned to deal with it, but I've been playing Tekken since Tag 1.

Bryan's snake edge is "see-able". You just gotta get use to reacting.
Against Hwoarang I BDC cancel and whiff punish when he starts dancing around in flamingo.
Against Capos I play Marduk. db+2 when in relaxed, takes care of a lot of mix-up BS.

My Mains are Paul/Marduk Bruce/Marduk BTW

I have the reaction speed of a wooden post. I've come to accept that I'll never be able to see lows. :p

Spacing in general is something I could probably improve a lot on.

Oh man I suck at this. I was decent in T6, getting destroyed on this one.

There are a perturbing amount of very solid to professional players online in this compared to Tekken 6 I think. Really makes me wonder about it's "difficulty to learn" sometimes. It can be intimidating, but keep at it and eventually you will see results. Jumping into fighting games a little later into their life can be difficult. I can relate to you with UMVC3.

I have the reaction speed of a wooden post. I've come to accept that I'll never be able to see lows. :p

Spacing in general is something I could probably improve a lot on.

The more you play Tekken, the more familiar you will become with the animation of attacks. That goes with out saying.

Movement is very important in this game. There are some basic tutorials out there on movement. Check out avoidingthepuddle.com. Good stuff on basic BDC.

Been watching a lot of TTT2 matches today. I don't see why so many people complain that Tekken is boring to watch. I've been finding it pretty enjoyable since the matches are usually fast paced and you don't see the same exact stuff happening every round.

DEATH™

Been watching a lot of TTT2 matches today. I don't see why so many people complain that Tekken is boring to watch. I've been finding it pretty enjoyable since the matches are usually fast paced and you don't see the same exact stuff happening every round.

The complaints are most in large coming from Capcom FG stream monsters hating that their game isn't on stream, mostly marvel monsters... The Final Round thread pretty much sums it up... I don't think its exclusive to Tekken though... other games are getting hit by this...

DEATH™;60283289 said:
The complaints are most in large coming from Capcom FG stream monsters hating that their game isn't on stream, mostly marvel monsters... The Final Round thread pretty much sums it up... I don't think its exclusive to Tekken though... other games are getting hit by this...

Yeah, pretty sure you are right about that. It's just that the complaints seem to be more prominent when Tekken is on, maybe due to how long it takes because of 3/5 rounds.

Yeah, pretty sure you are right about that. It's just that the complaints seem to be more prominent when Tekken is on, maybe due to how long it takes because of 3/5 rounds.

That's exactly what it is. While Tekken is hard to watch if you don't play the game/understand what's going on, the majority of the complaints are just that 3/5 tournament sets take forever. 2/3 seems fine to me, but I'm not a tournament player.

DEATH™

Yep thats about it... As much as the game is beautiful to watch, some won't care unless their game wasn't on... I can't really blame them, but at the same time, it sucks for Tekken.

DEATH™

Actually, you'd be surprised. While it's not many, there are certainly a few that don't support the 3/5 change.

3/5 rounds or 3/5 games?

If its 3/5 games, I'm split about it... TBH Kor's argument falls off about the game being a bit random since the game right now, despite being the same Tekken game, now focuses on different skills like rage/lifebar management, having minimalistic approaches, and faster downloading speeds, which some players don't adapt or hate that aspect (aris talk about how people can "afford" getting comboed in T6 and hates that it isn't the case inttt2 proves that point). Second, Kor's reasoning was for the better player to always win, which is baloney to me. I know they put time and resources to playing the game but for him to suggest that is saying he should always have a greater chance to win because he's the vet? No wonder we cant get more players because of that mentality... Sometimes we as the tekken community got too big egos at times. I know having great self confidence is important to excel at this game, but we have it a bit too much...

At the same time though... 3/5 games means more tekken to watch so yeah..

Top Bottom