• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Doomshine

EVO has always been good to the Tekken scene. Tekken was given a lot of recognition back in EVO2K4, EVO2K5. Don't remember much from 2K6, but I know at EVO 2K7 (or I think EVO2k8) is when Wizard started calling out the Tekken community for poor attendance I believe. He was especially angry since it was the only game he had to invest a bunch of PS3's in.

Bloodhawk said on twitter that he felt that Evo never cared much for Tekken, even during the T5/DR days. No hard facts, yeah, but I feel it's worth mentioning at least.

Since like 2005 or something the best players in the world haven't even been coming to Evo for Tekken so it hasn't really felt like a proper world tournament like some of the other games.

Honestly, VF, Tekken and SC players should really try to get together and do more stuff like Filthy Cup.

RIP No Mercy Fridays.

AAK

Bloodhawk said on twitter that he felt that Evo never cared much for Tekken, even during the T5/DR days. No hard facts, yeah, but I feel it's worth mentioning at least.

Tekken does get special treatment in the East Coast majors. Namco gives pot bonuses for games like Final Round. SweetJohnnyCage paid for the winner of Final Round to travel to ECT, among others while no other game got special treatment. At EVO with the exception of Injustice there is no game getting special treatment. If not giving special treatment = not caring for it, then I feel that means there's too much of a sense of entitlement going on IMO.

Since like 2005 or something the best players in the world haven't even been coming to Evo for Tekken so it hasn't really felt like a proper world tournament like some of the other games.

If international competition won't come to EVO, then when will they ever come? EVO currently has more international competition for Tekken than Final Round did considering Nin/Venezuela/Pacific Asia guys are coming. EVO is the single major anyone outside of the US would ever bother saving up for travelling to. Even if Tekken will never get a legitimate world tournament again, it's still the one tournament where some of the best competition will congregate to.

Honestly, VF, Tekken and SC players should really try to get together and do more stuff like Filthy Cup.

RIP No Mercy Fridays.

No one is stopping them from doing so, but again. If people won't travel to EVO then I have my reservations whether they'd travel to something way smaller.

TheWriter

That last tweet reminded me to ask:

Have there ever been hints from them about shrinking the roster for Tekken 7?
On one hand it would align with Tekken Revolution and them trying to draw in new players, so that those don't have to learn how to beat 40+ characters. Also, erasing some characters who play very similar would lighten the roster up a bit.
On the other hand that would mean that I could lose Jun (again), Michelle (again), Angel and Kunimitsu (again).

I don't know, I'd rather have a bigger roster just to keep my mains, but it's very difficult to adjust to so many characters.

And it's Namco, they would probably do it like in SoulCalibur 5 and just exclude or replace all the characters that were cool while bringing in far inferior newer and 'edgier' versions.

No hints that I know of and I doubt Namco has even been talking and considering anything for Tekken 7, since they still have content for TR to go through as well as the TxSF project.

Still feels way too early to start talking about T7.

Doomshine

Tekken does get special treatment in the East Coast majors. Namco gives pot bonuses for games like Final Round. SweetJohnnyCage paid for the winner of Final Round to travel to ECT, among others while no other game got special treatment. At EVO with the exception of Injustice there is no game getting special treatment. If not giving special treatment = not caring for it, then I feel that means there's too much of a sense of entitlement going on IMO.

Not sure what you specifically mean with special treatment, but number of players and international competition aren't the only factors when it comes to things like stream allotment and schedules. Last years Evo is proof enough for that.

GrayFoxPL

No hints that I know of and I doubt Namco has even been talking and considering anything for Tekken 7, since they still have content for TR to go through as well as the TxSF project.

Still feels way too early to start talking about T7.

Harada already said next year is Tekken 20th aniversary and they are working on secret project for this. No doubt it's gonna be something big.

Fingers crossed for my dreamy Tekken Zero or Tekken in Alternative Universe where eg. Kazuya is a girl and Paul is evil old boss like Heihachi.

Bardiche

On the other hand that would mean that I could lose Jun (again), Michelle (again), Angel and Kunimitsu (again).

I don't know, I'd rather have a bigger roster just to keep my mains, but it's very difficult to adjust to so many characters.

And it's Namco, they would probably do it like in SoulCalibur 5 and just exclude or replace all the characters that were cool while bringing in far inferior newer and 'edgier' versions.

With the effort put into Jun and Kunimitsu, I can see these two returning. Kunimitsu and Jun have fresh new looks and their movesets have been revamped. I don't think all of that effort would be tossed aside.
Considered the effort put into these characters, I'm really concerned about Michelle. She was nothing more than a T6 Julia with a few of her TTT moves tacked on.
But i have a feeling that we'll continue to see Jun, Kunimitsu, and Angel in the future.

AAK

Not sure what you specifically mean with special treatment, but number of players and international competition aren't the only factors when it comes to things like stream allotment and schedules. Last years Evo is proof enough for that.

What I meant by special treatment I was talking about Pot bonuses, travel expenses pad for to future tournaments to the top placer, seeding points & free entry from other tournaments like IFL and such. Those are instances where Tekken got special treatment in their tournaments.

Expecting things like that from every major is what I mean by them feeling too self entitled.

On the topic of stream allotment and schedules... I don't want to act like an armchair tournament organizer but what exactly happened last year?

Doomshine

Nothing "happened" really, I'm just saying that if number of entrants was the only thing that mattered then Evo finals day would've looked different last year.

DEATH™

With the effort put into Jun and Kunimitsu, I can see these two returning. Kunimitsu and Jun have fresh new looks and their movesets have been revamped. I don't think all of that effort would be tossed aside.
Considered the effort put into these characters, I'm really concerned about Michelle. She was nothing more than a T6 Julia with a few of her TTT moves tacked on.
But i have a feeling that we'll continue to see Jun, Kunimitsu, and Angel in the future.

Based on Jaycee's success, don't worry...

Sayah

From the FGW thread:

Turns out the low Tekken numbers might be due to a boycott of Evo by the Tekken community over Wiz banning DS3's (Even without batteries) from EVO. I understand why it's being done, but I understand why the Tekken community is revolting.

Did they really ban DS3? That's just wow since a lot of Tekken people (including KOR) play on DS3.

I have zero experience with sticks myself. Wow.

Edit: Apparently this ban has been in place since 2010. Screw that noise.

DEATH™

From the FGW thread:

Did they really ban DS3? That's just wow since a lot of Tekken people (including KOR) play on DS3.

I have zero experience with sticks myself. Wow.

I didn't know that people actually went that far to boycott EVO. I knew KOR is making a petition about DS3 but EVO persisted due to logistics issue. I guess some decided it wasn't worth finding a DS2 + converter as a alternative to go to a tourney when TFC and Filthie Cup is just around the corner too... (though there can be a input lag with that).

Though take that with a grain of salt... Nobody in the academy is mentioned to formally boycott EVO.

Sayah

DEATH™;66317506 said:
I didn't know that people actually went that far to boycott EVO. I knew KOR is making a petition about DS3 but EVO persisted due to logistics issue. I guess some decided it wasn't worth finding a DS2 + converter as a alternative to go to a tourney when TFC and Filthie Cup is just around the corner too... (though there can be a input lag with that).

Though take that with a grain of salt... Nobody in the academy is mentioned to formally boycott EVO.

I think the whole thing is dumb. It's just as easy to press the pause button by accident as it is to press the playstation button. And there's no other tourney (as far as I know) banning DS3.

It would be no good to boycott since that only hurts the Tekken scene itself. But I know even if I had the funds and time to go to EVO, I still wouldn't go because I only use DS3's. And it takes a certain amount of time to get the d-pad to be consistent with qcf/qcb and other moves (as well as movement in general) so getting a new DS2 is too much of a hassle. I know at Apex, the vast majority of Tekken players were using DS3's and a few with sticks.

Why go and participate in a tourney when the control method is not even to my liking thus resulting in me not playing my best?

Degen

The only unofficial controller I'd use in a tourney would be the Hori FC3. If that was banned too, I wouldn't bother entering

Deps

I feel like the Tekken community in the states is too small for the current tournament season, and TTT2 is not going to bring in new players, especially at this point. If it goes on like this, the TTT2 scene will soon die until the next Tekken, and if the next Tekken isn't changed to bring in a lot of new players, it will die in a similar fashion until Tekken is dead in the states, unless the scene stops pretending to be what it isn't.

Imo the Tekken scene should separate and run 3-4 events through the year that everyone tries to support, or if they don't want to separate, then people need to designate a few majors throughout the year for everyone to attend (which is already what happens, people just don't want to say it), and stop expecting the other majors to be anything more than a local/regional. It shocked me how people called Tekken dead after NCR/Civil War got low entrants, and these events happened just after FR. The Tekken playerbase didn't just disappear off the planet, they just couldn't or didn't attend. FR15 had 100 players for T6, and this was when EVERYONE called the game dead.

Most of the people that I hear about, quit Tekken because they go to an event that isn't one of the main Tekken community supported majors, it gets low turnout, and that player switches to a different game. The Tekken scene is small, but acts like its just as big as the Capcom scene, then when they face reality and a major gets awful turnout, the game is declared dead until the next FR. If there were only 3-4 majors that everyone supported and knew would have good entrants/solid comp, the scene would be a lot better off. Thoughts?

I also hope Tekken goes back to being a Sony exclusive franchise on PS4. They already tried expanding the franchise in other territories (3DS/Wii U/360) and provided other people the opportunity to get a taste of the franchise. Even though I'm glad a lot of people got their hands on the franchise that otherwise wouldn't have, it was an unsuccessful attempt at large (imo)

I don't agree with this. I don't know how many people picked up Tekken because it went multi-platform, but it's definitely more than if it had stayed ps3 only. For next gen, I have no problem with Tekken going ps4 only, I like my 360 but I'm not touching any xbones. I think PS4 will be the tournament standard for all majors, but for this gen, I think it's good that Tekken went multi-platform.

If TTT2 never came out for the 360, I would still be an ignorant Capcom player hating on Tekken in stream chats.

Sayah

I'll have to apologize. Had to go out and it took longer than I expected. :/

I feel like the Tekken community in the states is too small for the current tournament season, and TTT2 is not going to bring in new players, especially at this point. If it goes on like this, the TTT2 scene will soon die until the next Tekken, and if the next Tekken isn't changed to bring in a lot of new players, it will die in a similar fashion until Tekken is dead in the states, unless the scene stops pretending to be what it isn't.

Imo the Tekken scene should separate and run 3-4 events through the year that everyone tries to support, or if they don't want to separate, then people need to designate a few majors throughout the year for everyone to attend (which is already what happens, people just don't want to say it), and stop expecting the other majors to be anything more than a local/regional. It shocked me how people called Tekken dead after NCR/Civil War got low entrants, and these events happened just after FR. The Tekken playerbase didn't just disappear off the planet, they just couldn't or didn't attend. FR15 had 100 players for T6, and this was when EVERYONE called the game dead.

Most of the people that I hear about, quit Tekken because they go to an event that isn't one of the main Tekken community supported majors, it gets low turnout, and that player switches to a different game. The Tekken scene is small, but acts like its just as big as the Capcom scene, then when they face reality and a major gets awful turnout, the game is declared dead until the next FR. If there were only 3-4 majors that everyone supported and knew would have good entrants/solid comp, the scene would be a lot better off. Thoughts?

That's how the Smash community works. They're not really integrated with FGC and they do their own thing. They have two big tournaments annually which are pretty much guaranteed good attendance. The same can happen with Tekken I suppose.

Tekken is big, just not in the U.S. tournament scene. In comparison, you won't see Marvel gaining as much popularity in Korea/Japan. That's where Tekken rules.

I don't agree with this. I don't know how many people picked up Tekken because it went multi-platform, but it's definitely more than if it had stayed ps3 only. For next gen, I have no problem with Tekken going ps4 only, I like my 360 but I'm not touching any xbones. I think PS4 will be the tournament standard for all majors, but for this gen, I think it's good that Tekken went multi-platform.

If TTT2 never came out for the 360, I would still be an ignorant Capcom player hating on Tekken in stream chats.

I guess I could be wrong. Always open to that being the case.

There were definitely benefits no doubt. But the sales still fell off after it went multiplat. Plus, as DEATH said, 360 allows for illegal downloads and TTT2 had 1 million + of them. Wii U sales were already pretty abysmal.

Again, I could be wrong. Maybe Tekken would have bombed hard on PS3 if it stayed exclusive this gen. Who knows.

I just popped in Tekken 6 on 360 and I was surprised to find people playing ranked matches still. I get destroyed in Tekken 6 though, even though I can hold my own in Tekken Tag 2. what gives?

AAK

^^ Could be the extremely pitiful netcode of Tekken 6.

The Tekken scene is small, but acts like its just as big as the Capcom scene, then when they face reality and a major gets awful turnout, the game is declared dead until the next FR.

This x1000

Times have changed. Back during TTT1 and Tekken 5 most of the FGC played Tekken. It is but a fraction of what it once was. The sooner we realize this people will stop having the exorbitant expectations.

I miss the old days of single-game tournies. None of this 12 game, 3 day BS.

I'm almost insulted that Tekken is thrown in with the lot of 2D fighters, almost. But it's sad that simpler games trump a deep 3D fighting games. I could say more about the 2D crowd, but that wouldn't help anything.

I hope the Filthy Cup is a success, because I really do think the Tekken crowd by and large is a different animal than the rest. It's hard to explain, but I think it boils down to Tekken = Chess, and the rest = Checkers. Sorry if that ruffles some feathers :D

The Filthy Cup throws back to the old days of Tekken, where a tourney was 100% dedicated to the game we love, so there were no distractions, just our passion.

Let's hope it gets revived.

MikeMyers

I'm really liking Asuka right now, especially f+2 cancel into ws1,4. Such a great tool. Not to mention her d/b+2 invincible in TR, which is great to play chicken against people with since it seems so buffed compared to TTT2. The only problem right now is I haven't put a new stick or buttons into my brawl stick, so hitting that diagonal is much tougher than I'm used to.

Hmm, I gotta try that. I play Asuka as well, but I'm no expert.

Guys.

Never laughed so hard in my life. WOW.

Highlights of Aris' stream yesterday:

Losing to a solo Lei player after winning once(BlazingPeanut):
www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/b/422291182?t=16m2s

Losing AGAIN(5 minute rage):
www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/b/422291182?t=30m46s

THEN losing to a Dr B in full shenanigan mode:
www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/b/422291182?t=48m50s

AAAAAAAND again(giving Dr B a promotion):
www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/b/422291182?t=65m36s

I'm wheezing over here...

Manbig

Guys.

Never laughed so hard in my life. WOW.

Highlights of Aris' stream yesterday:

Losing to a solo Lei player after winning once(BlazingPeanut):
www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/b/422291182?t=16m2s

Losing AGAIN(5 minute rage):
www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/b/422291182?t=30m46s

THEN losing to a Dr B in full shenanigan mode:
www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/b/422291182?t=48m50s

AAAAAAAND again(giving Dr B a promotion):
www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle/b/422291182?t=65m36s

I'm wheezing over here...

Yeah, I was watching that live. That Dr. B was the most obnoxious thing. I honestly thing he should've went straight to training mode and figured that character out. He might run into EVO. You never know.

DEATH™

Yeah, I was watching that live. That Dr. B was the most obnoxious thing. I honestly thing he should've went straight to training mode and figured that character out. He might run into EVO. You never know.

I still don't believe people that say Dr. B is low tier... PND 4 is too darn amazing for whiff punishing...

AAK

I fought that Dr. B player before. First time he destroyed me especially since Hwoarang can't do anything substantial to make him scared (same thing with the Capo matchup). Second time I played him I just held the tag button and let Julia in first and showed him why a tier list matters :D Party Crasher + grabs + insane okizeme = Dr. B torment =D

joeblow

DEATH™;66698031 said:
I still don't believe people that say Dr. B is low tier... PND 4 is too darn amazing for whiff punishing...

Nah, Dr. B. is rightfully bottom tier. His poking game is awful since his fastest mid is 14 frames. His best 15 frame mid is a lackluster d/f+2 uppercut with poor range (won't reach some blocked -15 stuff). He is easy to side step. His TA filler options aren't great in open ground compared to many other characters.

Some of his stance mixups can be avoided by simply dashing back (i.e. b+1,2~). He can be easy to float when you block certain attacks (like the butt slide), other moves that are decent often have poor recovery on block.

He relies way too much on parlor tricks and punishable 50/50s. His high crushing options are slow, and his low crushing options are nothing special since none of the quick ones will launch for a juggle. His launchable low sweep doesn't knock down on regular hit.

Sure, he can win some matches when a good player is patient with him, but that's true for all characters. However, Dr. B's main weapon is opponent ignorance because he doesn't have the tools to dictate the flow of a match in his favor against most (if not all) of the Tekken cast.

Dereck

Nah, Dr. B. is rightfully bottom tier. His poking game is awful since his fastest mid is 14 frames. His best 15 frame mid is a lackluster d/f+2 uppercut with poor range (won't reach some blocked -15 stuff). He is easy to side step. His TA filler options aren't great in open ground compared to many other characters.

Some of his stance mixups can be avoided by simply dashing back (i.e. b+1,2~). He can be easy to float when you block certain attacks (like the butt slide), other moves that are decent often have poor recovery on block.

He relies way too much on parlor tricks and punishable 50/50s. His high crushing options are slow, and his low crushing options are nothing special since none of the quick ones will launch for a juggle. His launchable low sweep doesn't knock down on regular hit.

Sure, he can win some matches when a good player is patient with him, but that's true for all characters. However, Dr. B's main weapon is opponent ignorance because he doesn't have the tools to dictate the flow of a match in his favor against most (if not all) of the Tekken cast.
Broke it down.

DEATH™

Fo some reason, it reminded me why hopkicks are the way they are right now... I think without hopkicks miguel would be bad...

PS for him to have a weak poking game is understandable, but I guess his 50/50s being punishable is the real problem with his... and it will stay that way until he gets more shenanigans the will turn him to a lei and capo fused into one...

I'll admit that Dr B player is pretty good with him. His flowchart was smooth and he never seemed unsure of what to do.

Aris not having a clue though, was the best part. He's one of those.

Dereck

Aris not having a clue though, was the best part. He's one of those.
Him getting angry is only funny to me when it's understandable. Like when he drops a combo, presses the wrong button, or if the guy he's fighting is Wunna Dose.

Otherwise he just gets mad because he loses.

Pachimari

Hi guys, I haven't been in here for a long while but make no mistake, I'm still playing Tekken. At the moment it's Revolution with Marshall but what else could I practice besides movement, side stepping, get ups and counters which I think I'm having a pretty alright grasp on?

TheWriter

Watching the Aris video was funny but there was way too much salt involved for such a high level player (I assume he is, only recently learned about him, his tutorials are good). Does Rip save his Streams as well? I saw him lose against a Kazuya laser spammer in Revolution, and the live reaction from him and the feed was amazing. He took it with dignity, though.

Watching the Aris video was funny but there was way too much salt involved for such a high level player (I assume he is, only recently learned about him, his tutorials are good). Does Rip save his Streams as well? I saw him lose against a Kazuya laser spammer in Revolution, and the live reaction from him and the feed was amazing. He took it with dignity, though.

All of their streams are archived on twitch. Here's Rip's archive.

Him getting angry is only funny to me when it's understandable. Like when he drops a combo, presses the wrong button, or if the guy he's fighting is Wunna Dose.

Otherwise he just gets mad because he loses.

I guarantee 90% of the anger Aris projects is all for the purposes of entertainment. He gets mad even when he wins. IMO the only fighter that brings out more salt than Tekken is Marvel, so any anger is understandable.

Hi guys, I haven't been in here for a long while but make no mistake, I'm still playing Tekken. At the moment it's Revolution with Marshall but what else could I practice besides movement, side stepping, get ups and counters which I think I'm having a pretty alright grasp on?

Poking, spacing, CH setups, wall combos, slide execution, throw breaks, oki setups, punishment, the learning never ends. I would just watch Law matches and pick up interesting things they do to add to my game.

Pachimari

Yeah, I like what boutdown is doing when he slides, it seems very effective.

I have a pretty good understanding of spacing between the characters and their moves now I think but I don't remember what CH set ups and oki set ups are? And poking, that is just those small punches to break the other players attacks?

Top Bottom