• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Dereck

This post brought the largest grin on my face all day :) Thank you for saying that. It warms my heart to see more local competition going on :)
:)))

He used to come over, saw me playing Tekken online a lot of then took a stab at it, he's gone from not knowing how to play to playing with Jun/Asuka, he knows how to do juggles, he just has trouble with TA, I'm trying to help him with that. I went from bullshitting around doing slides over and over with Law to actually playing seriously once he got better.

AAK

Speedkicks said in a stream a while back that he no longer likes competing in Tekken, he just plays for fun :( Kinda sad. He did say that he will continue going to Final Round since it's in his hometown but he's not going to travel anymore for Tekken. That's a huge blow to the scene... hope he changes his mind.

But anyways, Main Man remains putting solid content on his site. He just posted a FT10 against another player. This is easily the highlight, COUNT IT:

iZhTg1GPVZpa0.gif

DEATH™

Speedkicks said in a stream a while back that he no longer likes competing in Tekken, he just plays for fun :( Kinda sad. He did say that he will continue going to Final Round since it's in his hometown but he's not going to travel anymore for Tekken. That's a huge blow to the scene... hope he changes his mind.

But anyways, Main Man remains putting solid content on his site. He just posted a FT10 against another player. This is easily the highlight, COUNT IT:

iZhTg1GPVZpa0.gif

For a 16 year old planning to go to a university, we expect WAY TOO MUCH for him if we want him to travel.

And now I realize your point at TZ is so important now. We don't need tourney numbers, we need locals. It's sad that in America we have to travel just to meet and play with other people...

AAK

He has travelled before. He went to KiT2013 and got 3rd place there. And back in the Tag1-T5 days, plenty of players around that age group would travel to different cities and different states for competition. And looking at his maturity the age really isn't a factor in this. Regardless, that is just my opinion on the matter. I'll try and find the time stamp, but the point being he did explicitly say he no longer enjoys competitive Tekken and just plays the game to have fun with the system and such.

I've played that person in SFxT and TTT2. Same terrible player, no idea why really.
I think Im going to make a CapcomCeo account and just do unblockables and massive trolling. Sounds like a good idea, eh?
DEATH™;67801136 said:
Does that include most of us? Hey, we play games to have fun...

I fought him one time... I feel bad... :(
I feel bad for the 6 people that lost to him.

AAK

DEATH™;67801136 said:
Does that include most of us? Hey, we play games to have fun...

Of coarse it's for fun, but when you dissect the game at such a technical level as SpeedKicks, then it kinda sad to see such a talented and knowledgeable player not participating in the competitive circuit whom everyone knows can truly succeed. It's the same feeling I got when seeing guys like Tomhilfiger, QDogg, Slips, FilthieRich, etc. who all still play and love the game but no longer actively compete and liven up the scene.

Sayah

Holllllyyyy cow.

This is crazy.

How do you even do that?

Edit: I should buy the Wii U version and put EWGF to the touchscreen and amaze people. :lol

Of coarse it's for fun, but when you dissect the game at such a technical level as SpeedKicks, then it kinda sad to see such a talented and knowledgeable player not participating in the competitive circuit whom everyone knows can truly succeed. It's the same feeling I got when seeing guys like Tomhilfiger, QDogg, Slips, FilthieRich, etc. who all still play and love the game but no longer actively compete and liven up the scene.

Well, FilthieRich worked for Namco so he couldn't compete even if he wanted. But that's changed now so I hope he will be there in future tourneys.

Also, paying for college/studying/working jobs to pay off tuition/etc. is a major commitment and I can understand why SpeedKicks doesn't have time.

But if he's saying he just got tired of competitive Tekken, then I don't know why that it is. He just started playing Tekken. There's so much to explore in this game.

Also, paying for college/studying/working jobs to pay off tuition/etc. is a major commitment and I can understand why SpeedKicks doesn't have time.

But if he's saying he just got tired of competitive Tekken, then I don't know why that it is. He just started playing Tekken. There's so much to explore in this game.

Seeing him in chats often, he hasn't been entirely happy with the way he's been treated by some of the competitive community. Wasn't comfortable playing just to get hated on.

DEATH™

Seeing him in chats often, he hasn't been entirely happy with the way he's been treated by some of the competitive community. Wasn't comfortable playing just to get hated on.

So basically, we're jerks... Can see why... I could still remember us poking fun with speedkicks on a late night stream that it's past his bedtime... I guess I'm part of the problem.

But seriously, the trashtalk in American Tekken is insane.

Sayah

That's unfortunate.....too much foolishness in the fgc in general. I already dont like spectating too much but all the drama and nonsense surrounding these events just makes it even more unattractive. If someones good applaud them. Don't hate them. If someone is bad then provide constructive criticism. If it was me I would just ignore those people. Most of them are trolls anyway.

Hey guys, is there anything guaranteed I can get off of Bruce's CH FC d/f+4?
I dont think so. Maybe a dash d+4? I usually just go for a cd+3.

That's unfortunate.....too much foolishness in the fgc in general. I already dont like spectating too much but all the drama and nonsense surrounding these events just makes it even more unattractive. If someones good applaud them. Don't hate them. If someone is bad then provide constructive criticism. If it was me I would just ignore those people. Most of them are trolls anyway.

Its the testosterone.

I dont really talk shit to a person unless I know them. Thats why I always harass Aris on his streams. I haven't had time to go to super in a while to harass him in real life, so I have to make do when he's streaming. I dont talk shit to anyone I dont know unless they come at me wrong. Some cats are just mad shit talkers.

But yeah, I think its just that dudes wanna swing their dicks and all that Alpha shit.

Does anybody have any tips for doing backdash cancels? I've no problem learning strings or using punishers but my movement is absolutely awful and I've been losing significantly after a few months absence as a result (although, interestingly, only on Tag 2 [I've quite a significant amount of wins compared to losses, I strongly believe, in Revolution); I assume the majority of those on Revolution are those with a minor interest in the series and that's responsible for the large difference); my inability to create any space between the opponent and myself or cause attacks to whiff causing the greatest problem. I've been watching LevelUpYourGames' movement tutorials and the Korean Backdash tutorial, in addition to any videos I can find, but I'm having little success in learning how to do it successfully. I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for when I make attempts also.

What I've done for the EWGF (and I'm trying to do for this with little success) is to do the movement quite slowly and then gradually increase the pace. If I make a mistake I return to a slower input and then continue to increase the speed at which I perform the movement. For backdash cancelling though I just can't learn it through this method when I've no way of knowing if I've done it 'right' when I do it slowly. Trying to input it results in a really awkward movement wherein the characters steps back followed by a crouch (when the speed is increased the movement back turns into barely a step back so I presume I'm cancelling too early in such cases) and any sort of momentum/fluidity is completely removed.

So any tips or ways to spot indications that the correct movement is being inputted would be greatly appreciation (I'm using a fight stick since I presume that would be relevant).

Does anybody have any tips for doing backdash cancels? I've no problem learning strings or using punishers but my movement is absolutely awful and I've been losing significantly after a few months absence as a result (although, interestingly, only on Tag 2 [I've quite a significant amount of wins compared to losses, I strongly believe, in Revolution); I assume the majority of those on Revolution are those with a minor interest in the series and that's responsible for the large difference); my inability to create any space between the opponent and myself or cause attacks to whiff causing the greatest problem. I've been watching LevelUpYourGames' movement tutorials and the Korean Backdash tutorial, in addition to any videos I can find, but I'm having little success in learning how to do it successfully. I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for when I make attempts also.

What I've done for the EWGF (and I'm trying to do for this with little success) is to do the movement quite slowly and then gradually increase the pace. If I make a mistake I return to a slower input and then continue to increase the speed at which I perform the movement. For backdash cancelling though I just can't learn it through this method when I've no way of knowing if I've done it 'right' when I do it slowly. Trying to input it results in a really awkward movement wherein the characters steps back followed by a crouch (when the speed is increased the movement back turns into barely a step back so I presume I'm cancelling too early in such cases) and any sort of momentum/fluidity is completely removed.

So any tips or ways to spot indications that the correct movement is being inputted would be greatly appreciation (I'm using a fight stick since I presume that would be relevant).

A proper BDC would look like b, b, d/b, b, b, d/b, b, b, d/b, etc, minimizing the time spent hitting d/b (because you would be vulnerable to getting hit) and maximizing the length of your backdash (b, b) since backdash distance varies from character to character. Angel for example would need a very rapid BDC movement because her backdash covers very little distance. Of course you could just choose to do it rapidly with everyone but you would be wasting energy. Find a comfortable rhythm for yourself.

One of the things I learned from watching Mr. Naps stream was a slightly different method of b, b, d/b, n, b, d/b, n, b, d/b, n, etc. Apparently the game counts the neutral input as a back, and this would let you crank them out a lot faster and smoother.

Another thing to understand is that you don't need to BDC across the screen or anything. 2 to 3 solid reps is usually enough to generate a whiff. When I was getting started I practiced BDC a good 20 minutes a session. I still practice it now, but only when I feel I'm getting sloppy...which is all of the time on 2p side. :/

Manbig

Don't forget the part where accidentally letting the game register a back input 3 times in a row = you're not gonna be blocking anything. This is especially important because of the neutral part of backdash cancelling registering a extra back input, as Mr. Naps explained.

DEATH™

About your EWGF, TBH your philosophy screwed me up before. What I found out at least for a fast DU (I practice with DJ for my AK DU) is its about hitting the right rhythm. Changing pace can screw me up. You know the problem when you can do something at practice mode but can't do that on a match? That... That's why I recommend to practice immeadieately at a fast pace (game pace, like do you EWGF whiff punish already).

About your BDC, and your movement in general, You can try the wavedash input (cd~cd~cd... input on the other side), which also give you a smooth backdash cancel, given you can wavedash too. But if you want to stick with bB~db input, the goal was to make the backdash cover a lot of space and have the shortest time crouching. So yeah you're right, you're cancelling way early.

DEATH™;67952941 said:
About your EWGF, TBH your philosophy screwed me up before. What I found out at least for a fast DU (I practice with DJ for my AK DU) is its about hitting the right rhythm. Changing pace can screw me up. You know the problem when you can do something at practice mode but can't do that on a match? That... That's why I recommend to practice immeadieately at a fast pace (game pace, like do you EWGF whiff punish already).

About your BDC, and your movement in general, You can try the wavedash input (cd~cd~cd... input on the other side), which also give you a smooth backdash cancel, given you can wavedash too. But if you want to stick with bB~db input, the goal was to make the backdash cover a lot of space and have the shortest time crouching. So yeah you're right, you're cancelling way early.

Famicon said:
One of the things I learned from watching Mr. Naps stream was a slightly different method of b, b, d/b, n, b, d/b, n, b, d/b, n, etc. Apparently the game counts the neutral input as a back, and this would let you crank them out a lot faster and smoother.
I want to thank both of you (you and Famicon) for responding and I think the two bolded things are definitely a large help, particularly just inputting a reverse wave dash to start off (since I don't use sway characters; yet anyway). With regards to the underlined bit, how would you recommend practicing then? Going into "Practice Mode" and setting the mode select to "Vs Character", going into "Public Battle" or using the "Ghost Battle" seems like the three most obvious methods but I'm interested in which you feel is the most beneficial (using multiplayer seems like the most obvious choice since the pace of the game seems different online when comapred to matches against the computer with the downside that my win/lose rate on World Tekken Federation [not that it's particularly high as is after the last two/three weeks] will likely drop substantially [but, ultimately Iit doesn't really matter I suppose]).

EDIT: I realise some people don't enjoy editting in posts to respond to something below but I don't want to post excessively with the same comments so I just want to say thanks below; a good idea.

I want to thank both of you (you and Famicon) for responding and I think the two bolded things are definitely a large help, particularly just inputting a reverse wave dash to start off (since I don't use sway characters; yet anyway). With regards to the underlined bit, how would you recommend practicing then? Going into "Practice Mode" and setting the mode select to "Vs Character", going into "Public Battle" or using the "Ghost Battle" seems like the three most obvious methods but I'm interested in which you feel is the most beneficial (using multiplayer seems like the most obvious choice since the pace of the game seems different online when comapred to matches against the computer with the downside that my win/lose rate on World Tekken Federation [not that it's particularly high as is after the last two/three weeks] will likely drop substantially [but, ultimately Iit doesn't really matter I suppose]).

One of the first things I do is just go into practice mode and backdash...a lot. Try and get the speed up, the fluidity up. You'll know you're doing it well enough if you can't see your character crouching (admittedly some characters have misleading animations though). Another way to practice is to set the dummy to do a long string and try to outrun it. You can whiff punish practice like that too.

TheWriter

God, my salt level is incredibly high right now. This game is so hard to get into. I'm getting blasted by all kinds of different characters. Endless combos with bound effect and at the end a wall combo for good measure. It's just sucking out my patience match after match. One bad move and I'm toast. I'll probably have to get my scrubby ass back to Tekken Revolution just so I stand a chance with cheap Invincible moves so I can make myself feel good.
I just can't believe how I'm getting destroyed left and right without even getting off one decent launcher. The playerbase is in hard mode today. I'm fighting 3rd Dans only, as well. Unimaginable what awaits me further up.
Oh well, good to know this game is still active, at least. Any european GAFfers in this thread that could destroy me this weekend for an hour or so?

Sayah

God, my salt level is incredibly high right now. This game is so hard to get into. I'm getting blasted by all kinds of different characters. Endless combos with bound effect and at the end a wall combo for good measure. It's just sucking out my patience match after match. One bad move and I'm toast. I'll probably have to get my scrubby ass back to Tekken Revolution just so I stand a chance with cheap Invincible moves so I can make myself feel good.
I just can't believe how I'm getting destroyed left and right without even getting off one decent launcher. The playerbase is in hard mode today. I'm fighting 3rd Dans only, as well. Unimaginable what awaits me further up.
Oh well, good to know this game is still active, at least. Any european GAFfers in this thread that could destroy me this weekend for an hour or so?

ahhhh. Don't give up. Which characters are you using?

TheWriter

Alisa/Angel and trying to learn Xiaoyu, but the latter has an impossible setup game right now. Very fun to play with, though.

Alisa is my main girl, her movement abilites give me a bit more advantage but I need to defend better. Solo combos I can do just fine if I wouldn't screw up the launchers each time. Also, Tag Assault is out of the question, my mind has to switch inbetween two characters for that in a fraction of a second, impossible.

Eventually, I'm trying to main both Alisa and Xiao, Angel is just for kicks right now.

I can never do Law's slide... any tips on getting it to come out? I'm playing on a Mad Catz TE-S stick. I should also mention that I am usually able to do any other kind of move in most fighting games =/

DEATH™

You're using the Sanwa square gate stick? It should be easy with it. You just "wiggle" the stick forward while holding down, kinda like doing a ff dash, just while holding down too...

Hope that helps

I can never do Law's slide... any tips on getting it to come out? I'm playing on a Mad Catz TE-S stick. I should also mention that I am usually able to do any other kind of move in most fighting games =/

Crouch down and hold d/f. You'll see Law inching forward in crouch. That little bit of movement is what you want to look for when you press the button. So in crouch, d/f,d,D/F, watch the animation carefully, then hit the button. Make sure you're holding the last d/f as well. Also remember that the notation has to be correct. If you inputted d/f,d/b,d,D/F it won't come out (from my experience).

DEATH™

I would recommend you to play with some in a player match in long sets. The problem with jumping on rank immeadietely is you can't be able to train and figure out character since you're jumping with playing with one char to another. If you are confident with your movement and some characters, you can jump to ranked again...

AAK

We all go through this phase. It's just some of us were lucky to go through this phase in an offline environment :p Playing online and losing to someone who's not in front of you is just psychologically frustrating haha. Keep at it, There's lots of reward for those who persist ;)

On the topic of revolution, I pretty much agree with MainMan's sentiment. Broken right now because of the extra fluff but fundamentally a solid game.

Also, PSA to the Tekken community. When all of you guys do eventually play TLoU, play it on hard mode. The game just becomes Uncharted 4 on normal mode 1/2 way through the game with how OP you are and how many weapons/ammo/supplies there are at your disposal. And this goes without saying... but stay away from spoilers of any kind. It can really ruin some real intense moments... saying it from personal experience :(

Sayah, I'm using the Williams' again. How's that tutorial coming along? :p

Alisa/Angel and trying to learn Xiaoyu, but the latter has an impossible setup game right now. Very fun to play with, though.

Alisa is my main girl, her movement abilites give me a bit more advantage but I need to defend better. Solo combos I can do just fine if I wouldn't screw up the launchers each time. Also, Tag Assault is out of the question, my mind has to switch inbetween two characters for that in a fraction of a second, impossible.

Eventually, I'm trying to main both Alisa and Xiao, Angel is just for kicks right now.

Haha, tag assaults did my head in for the first week as well. It's not as hard as it seems. If you hold down the tag button after you do a bound with Alisa, Angel will jump in and do a move automatically, then you can finish off the combo with Alisa's running 2 or whatever.

Only a few moves are useful in tag assault, so there's not too much to remember. Most characters use the same bound, same tag assault filler and same ender in almost every combo. Just go into practice and experiment for a bit.

Sayah

Tag assaults aren't so bad once you start using them.

You can actually take your time doing the actions with the second character. You'll have a few seconds of time for hits to connect. It doesn't have to be immediate.

Here is some combo practice if you need it. Try out it practice and know each move individually. If you have troubles, don't hesitate to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUltdfMbFQI

Sayah, I'm using the Williams' again. How's that tutorial coming along? :p

Not very well. I thought I would have a capable laptop by now but nope.

My current equipment doesn't allow me to do HD video editing very effectively. It lags/freezes/etc.

I was hoping to do several different videos of different things and edit/combine it all into one, add notations, tips, do other things. But, I think now I'm just going to do one hour/two hour video straight explaining what I can because the other method will not work with the current equipment I have.

Also, PSA to the Tekken community. When all of you guys do eventually play TLoU, play it on hard mode. The game just becomes Uncharted 4 on normal mode 1/2 way through the game with how OP you are and how many weapons/ammo/supplies there are at your disposal. And this goes without saying... but stay away from spoilers of any kind. It can really ruin some real intense moments... saying it from personal experience :(

I cant agree more. This game is great, but it is incredibly easy on normal. I just started doing a survival play through to get the last of my trophies. It gets way harder... or should I say annoying on survival. The AI for some reason reacts very different from hard. Hit boxes for melee attacks are also really weird because the enemy AI runs towards you at different angles. Great game though!

gg AAK, you had me on that last session the other day. It was like... 70-30 your way. The lag fucken sucked, but thats no excuse. You reacted really well to my offernse. I couldn't bdc fast enough to get away from your Hwoarang. You found my fundamental weakness........

I dont block low...

wah wah wah....

AAK

Yo.....You all witnessed Ricko's dirty play huh? Part of my soul gets extinguished everytime I'm expecting a Bruce 50/50 only to be f,f+3+4'd to the wall!

Also, Filthycup has been moved from the bar to an actual Ball room. It's taking place now at:

Sheraton Four Points
4101 island ave
Philadelphia, PA 19153

Yeah they were.

U had me the last few matches. U adapted really well, fuck, u mixed me up pretty well. Ur poke game got so much better during the last few matches.

Practice the slide, but I think u have enough tools in ur arsenal to be a very good player, with or without the slide.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! AAK, u duck at the most inopportune times. U had me super frustrated. I think u knew that. That's why u hit me with JFLS soooooooo many fucken times!!! I got my throw, but damnit, u have the SSR JFLS!

TheWriter

God, was I melodramatic. Sorry, and thanks for the tips everyone!

Tag assaults aren't so bad once you start using them.

You can actually take your time doing the actions with the second character. You'll have a few seconds of time for hits to connect. It doesn't have to be immediate.

Here is some combo practice if you need it. Try out it practice and know each move individually. If you have troubles, don't hesitate to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUltdfMbFQI

And this is just awesome! This will be my daily routine for next week! Thank you very much!

Top Bottom