• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

I played T5 and T6 casually, but didn't find out about the more complex things like backdashing until ttt2. I can do electrics when I'm standing still, but I still need to practice doing it after sidestepping and backdashing. I'll keep your advice in mind Thanks.

Also I'm happy I started winning some matching lol. I think I lost like 5-6 straight before I finally won one. I was also getting discouraged because I lost every single match the other day against Terareflection.

Yeah, I played casually before as well and only really started to grasp the mechanics during T6.

And Tera is really good and has been playing longer. Don't be discouraged. :p

It was really impressive play especially since you just started playing seriously in TTT2. Also, if you need any help with doing any specific combos/moves, don't hesitate to ask.

Your placeholder combos are really great as well. They may not do max damage but it's better than dropping combos left and right like other players do.

Yeah, I played casually before as well and only really started to grasp the mechanics during T6.

And Tera is really good and has been playing longer. Don't be discouraged. :p

It was really impressive play especially since you just started playing seriously in TTT2. Also, if you need any help with doing any specific combos/moves, don't hesitate to ask.

Your placeholder combos are really great as well. They may not do max damage but it's better than dropping combos left and right like other players do.

Yeah I was considering dropping Kazuya for bit, but I think I'll stick with him.

I was dropping a TON of combos at the start. I was trying to do some of the newer combos I learned, but I was failing big time hah. Also I don't think I landed a single combo after a CH qcf 1 >.< I would either mess up the next qcf 1 or just forget what comes next and do a random move like f 3,2.

DEATH™

GGs to everyone except Degen... Even when I practice against ogre, it's still annoying grrr... (lol jk ggs degen)

teh_awesomeness you the Anna/Kaz player? You actually play good... just needs a couple of polishing on your game and you are good to go...

DEATH™;77861677 said:
GGs to everyone except Degen... Even when I practice against ogre, it's still annoying grrr... (lol jk ggs degen)

teh_awesomeness you the Anna/Kaz player? You actually play good... just needs a couple of polishing on your game and you are good to go...

Yeah that was me.

What team were you? Sorry I'm not familiar with gaffers psn names yet, but judging by your avatar, were you the king/armor king player?

Sayah

Somebody did a really nice mix of Heavenly garden and fallen garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGUaNBGAIoI
Yeah I was considering dropping Kazuya for bit, but I think I'll stick with him.

I was dropping a TON of combos at the start. I was trying to do some of the newer combos I learned, but I was failing big time hah. Also I don't think I landed a single combo after a CH qcf 1 >.< I would either mess up the next qcf 1 or just forget what comes next and do a random move like f 3,2.

If you're messing up the second qcf 1, then just do u/f+4.

uf/+3, then d+4,1 also works after qcf 1.

Dereck

Tekken 7 will take place 4 years after the events of Tekken 6.

In Tekken 7, coming September 2015 to the PS4/XB1

#BuffLars
Leo is made to look more feminine
Jin gets his hoodie back
Kazuya has a mustache
Has Tag mechanics
There will be a scenario campaign, that has local and online co-op, and same screen tag combos
Nina William's default costume is the footless costume from Tekken 1
Miguel Rojo looks like a Spanish Fabio
Tekken Bowl is back, but without Tekken Ball
Feng Wei is hospitalized
King has long hair
Bruce Irvin's default costume is his white trunks 2p costume from Tekken 2
Forest Law has a mustache, own's his own Chicken Wing restaurant
Medium Bob is introduced for the first time
Press start while selecting Jinpachi to play as Harada
In Practice Mode, whenever a button is pressed, the attack being done will be displayed on screen like in Tekken 4
Online Vs will be unchanged from Tag 2
Bryan Fury gets his coat back from Tekken 4
Jack-7
Miharu participates in Iron Fist Tournament 7 to help pay for Ling's college tuition
Lei's son, Long Wulong is introduced for the first time at 22 years old

I don't know what I'm talking about

Doomshine

Zombie Wang
Devil Ganryu
Sexy fish
Those fucking twins some people on twitter tried forever to get in the game
Tekken Cricket minigame (Steve is top tier in this mode)

Feng Wei is hospitalized

face-slap.gif

Degen

finally using Ogre's df,df2+4 throw outside of training

cheapest move in the game, cheaper than his Dhalsim punches and 1+2,1+2,1+2 spam combined

AAK

There is one thing boutdown is doing that Namco isn't... it's finally coming up with some fresh new designs to the cast. I mean look at this:

2004:

ninawilliams.png

2005:

167px-Nina_T5DR.jpg

2007:

NinaWilliams-176x300.png

2008:

Nina_williams.jpg

2011:

180px-Nina_Williams_TTT2_CG.png

.... Anyone notice a pattern??? I mean how HARD is it to change your design and be a little creative for a change! On the other hand look at how Tekken was handled from 1995 - 2002

180px-NinaT1.JPG
94px-Nina-williams-tekken-2-picture.jpg
nina_williams_tekken_3_by_ilovefallingcows25-d6fcb36.png
180px-NinaWilliams(1).jpg

Sometime I think Tekken 4 scared the Namco Tekken team TOOO much.

Doomshine

Well, while there might be some truth in there, this stagnation happened after they introduced customizations. So the way I see it is that they want them to have an "iconic" costume and let players change it up themselves.

I think there's a good chance we might see new costumes in Tekken 7 or even xSF though, they probably know they're going to have to change it up, hence Revolution.

DEATH™

AAK I think Harada mentioned it on many interviews that they want to achieve SF-esque kind of design approach. Kinda like they want people to have that costume drilled to people's minds when they think about that character.

Ono's a bad influence I guess...

DEATH™

What is a Just Frame and what is a Crush?

Just Frame = you only got 1 frame window to perfectly execute the move. Example, Paul's JF Demoman (d+4:2:1+2). When the 2nd strike hits the opponent, there is this one frame when you press 1+2 the last attack will have blue sparks. In layman's terms, it has a pretty strict pinpoint execution requirement.

Crush = A property where the attack of yours is invulnerable against a specific hit range. High crush would mean your attack got some frame window where any high attacks won't hit you, and the same for low crush affecting lows. This property is common to ducking and jumping attacks which works with the idea of dodging while attacking...

Sorry for technical terms... been back to school...

MikeMyers

There is one thing boutdown is doing that Namco isn't... it's finally coming up with some fresh new designs to the cast. I mean look at this:

Sometime I think Tekken 4 scared the Namco Tekken team TOOO much.

Well, you can customize your character to look different, I guess. Sometimes I see characters and I don't even recognize them due to the customization.

AAK

I wouldn't complain as much if only they put more effort on the customizations. Right now their just throw away nonsense. Those butterfly wings, neon shields, balloons, generic shirts/pants, etc all graphically look 100x worse than the default outfits.

Virtua Fighter 5 and Tekken 6 though did it right. TTT2, definitely not. I would have gladly accepted fewer options if only they made a select few customizations that were detailed.

Degen

What is a Just Frame and what is a Crush?
just play Ogre brah he can't crush worth a literal damn so it'll be irrelevant

the only terms you'll need to know are

hold
db
+

I really wanna see more of you guys try to use a dead-serious Ogre. I get hype seeing him played in a non-Degen way

Sayah

I wouldn't complain as much if only they put more effort on the customizations. Right now their just throw away nonsense. Those butterfly wings, neon shields, balloons, generic shirts/pants, etc all graphically look 100x worse than the default outfits.

Virtua Fighter 5 and Tekken 6 though did it right. TTT2, definitely not. I would have gladly accepted fewer options if only they made a select few customizations that were detailed.

I agree with this. I would have preferred there to be items that were more detailed. Quality > Quantity after all. The team instead opted for a large volume of items that mostly look......okay. But unlocking stuff is super easy in this game in comparison to T6 so there's up's and down's on both ends.

Still can't believe T6 required you to buy each color of a costume separately, lol. Tag 2 is still pretty good with customization in comparison to most other games so I can't even complain, though. Tekken fans should just be happy Namco isn't charging $5 for eye glasses. lol

oh man.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Dereck

But all they have to do is have a backlog of costumes for every character from Tekken 1-5, they should just "remaster" the old costumes, that's it.

Why I can I no longer be master chef Law? WTF

DEATH™

Again, the problem with having a more detailed customization is having too many "joints" in the models, hence a lot more data to process and compress... and if the goal was to have a good netcode, you need to simplify your objects/models, which is where customization takes a hit. I expect the quality of the costumes to dip a bit.

Though if I can wish for something, it would be more of not having more character specific costumes (base costumes). I am with you guys on not having more classic costumes around, but I can't really complain. I guess they focused their manpower making the DLC chars.

But then, at least they introduced the awesome decals... Decals in theory will make customizations waaaay better than what we have before, the only problem with it is it's so time consuming to use, and only few select people can take advantage of them...

Doomshine

DEATH™;78338961 said:
Again, the problem with having a more detailed customization is having too many "joints" in the models, hence a lot more data to process and compress... and if the goal was to have a good netcode, you need to simplify your objects/models, which is where customization takes a hit. I expect the quality of the costumes to dip a bit.

I think the fact that it's a tag game lessened the quality of the customizations, hopefully a new solo game will bring the quality back up.

Also VF5 has just as much ridiculous customization shit, if not worse, than Tekken.

Been playing a bit to be at least competent and not a road bump with my co-workers. Do you neutral block (do nothing) and look for lows? I think I am sticking with Bryan but haven't found other characters that I really like.

Sayah

Been playing a bit to be at least competent and not a road bump with my co-workers. Do you neutral block (do nothing) and look for lows? I think I am sticking with Bryan but haven't found other characters that I really like.

Good defense requires good movement/spacing/sidestepping. Work on that. A lot of people rely on lows for damage but mostly all of them are punishable on block. Neutral guard will take care of highs and mids but lows require you to duck or parry. Ducking on reaction will block lows and allow you to punish on reaction. You can also parry lows using d/f. Go to practice and do defensive training. Set the CPU's moves by recording or through command list, work on your parries and start figuring out what's the best punishment with Bryan that you can dish out.

I'm not a Bryan player but I believe WS 2 and WS 3 are most commonly used depending on what type of low you are blocking. WS is while rising from a ducking position if you don't already know.

Don't forget to punish highs and mids as well on block or on whiff. If it looks like a launcher. Punish, punish, punish. And if a person is using non-stop strings, then know that strings can be interrupted. If there's a high in the string, duck and punish. If there's a low in the string, use a low crush move. It takes some time to get used to all the different animations and reacting properly to them on a character by character basis. People make it seem like an extremely daunting task but I don't think it's that hard. Once an attack/animation is abused enough against you, you learn to defend against it.

For now, while you're still learning, you can rely on something like d+1 as a temporary measure to interrupt strings until you get a handle of things.

Bryan, I believe also has a backsway/backdash using QCB. Definitely use that to your advantage to create space and whiff punish. Only a select few characters have it (others include Paul and Nina).

Sayah

Yeah, a huge flaw in my game is how little I sidestep for reasons other than looking fancy or setting up King's ss3+4

My sidestepping game is also crap. I sidestep/walk heavily when there's distance. But it gets a lot more risky when you're up close. I wish I could sidewalk like a champ. Especially since I use Anna and she has top tier damage output against back-turned opponents. d/f+3,3,3,1. F,f+3 into a combo. Crazy damage.

Edit: Use the sidestepping tutorial.

Top Bottom