• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

All that effort and Tekken is still going to come 2nd place in the poll. :/

All it took was two more Ed Boon tweets.

I got a message saying there was new downloadable content upon signing in. I checked the store and it's all old stuff though.

This game still manages to piss me off so much. I fought a Heihachi today that did nothing but backdash and mix up hellsweeps and ff+2 from across the screen. Like, how am I supposed to get in?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just logged into TTT2 online on Xbox Live, and it looks like with WTF gone you can't download replay data anymore (even directly from leaderboard entries). Ghost uploading and downloading is also gone.

That is pretty shitty; shutting down a website removing core online features in the game itself. On the other hand I am surprised the dev team hooked replay uploading and downloading through a website's servers rather than standard functions within XBL and PSN.

Dereck

Ghost uploading and downloading is also gone.
izdEtQRsUSpco.gif

AAK

I got a message saying there was new downloadable content upon signing in. I checked the store and it's all old stuff though.

This game still manages to piss me off so much. I fought a Heihachi today that did nothing but backdash and mix up hellsweeps and ff+2 from across the screen. Like, how am I supposed to get in?

That is an extremely one dimensional playstyle and in a game like Tekken there are MULTIPLE ways of dealing with him. First of all, personally speaking if I was going against someone like that I'd be fairly confident that this person doesn't know how to defend and will just rely on the 50/50 he's banked on thus far. I'm pretty sure I could backdash cancel my way out of anything he tries. But alas that takes practice and maybe you're not at that level yet.

The other way of thinking about it, is that he's overly relying on two moves: f,f+2 and hell sweeps. Now look at the properties of both moves: One his a brutally slow move, the other is a low. Now all you have to do is think of something that can kill that mixup. The answer is basically a low crush move faster than Hei's demon uppercut. For example, a hopkick. If he does the hell sweep you crush the low, if he does the demon uppercut you beat it out since hopkicks are universally faster. If your character doesn't have a hopkick like say Hwoarang, just do some other low crush move that will reach like say his d/f+3+4.

(EDIT - The above of coarse has the disadvantage where the hopkick is unsafe but again I put the above strategy assuming your opponent is going all in. An opponent that would block your hopkick in those situations most probably wouldn't be implementing a hell sweep / f,f+2 mixup in the first place.)

It's just a matter of figuring out your opponent and that is where the thrill of fighting games come from :)

Just logged into TTT2 online on Xbox Live, and it looks like with WTF gone you can't download replay data anymore (even directly from leaderboard entries). Ghost uploading and downloading is also gone.

That is pretty shitty; shutting down a website removing core online features in the game itself. On the other hand I am surprised the dev team hooked replay uploading and downloading through a website's servers rather than standard functions within XBL and PSN.

tumblr_inline_mrxy58ttGF1qz4rgp.gif

Sayah

tumblr_m9250gwgmQ1qcw656o1_500.gif

tumblr_m6kbc1rvFD1qcvn4vo1_500.gif

Goodbye WTF.

AAK

About to try Lee/Lars, any tips/BnB combos?

You monster.....

LOL, I suppose a bunch of the them might have Lee's b+2 mist step moves. Good luck with those! You can check out Help Me's videos. he is the penultimate Lee/Lars practitioner.

That is an extremely one dimensional playstyle and in a game like Tekken there are MULTIPLE ways of dealing with him. First of all, personally speaking if I was going against someone like that I'd be fairly confident that this person doesn't know how to defend and will just rely on the 50/50 he's banked on thus far. I'm pretty sure I could backdash cancel my way out of anything he tries. But alas that takes practice and maybe you're not at that level yet.

The other way of thinking about it, is that he's overly relying on two moves: f,f+2 and hell sweeps. Now look at the properties of both moves: One his a brutally slow move, the other is a low. Now all you have to do is think of something that can kill that mixup. The answer is basically a low crush move faster than Hei's demon uppercut. For example, a hopkick. If he does the hell sweep you crush the low, if he does the demon uppercut you beat it out since hopkicks are universally faster. If your character doesn't have a hopkick like say Hwoarang, just do some other low crush move that will reach like say his d/f+3+4.

(EDIT - The above of coarse has the disadvantage where the hopkick is unsafe but again I put the above strategy assuming your opponent is going all in. An opponent that would block your hopkick in those situations most probably wouldn't be implementing a hell sweep / f,f+2 mixup in the first place.)

It's just a matter of figuring out your opponent and that is where the thrill of fighting games come from :)

Well, I probably didn't give the guy enough credit. His electrics were on point as well. Those are faster and have more range than hopkicks, so I don't think the answer is that simple. Getting close enough to do the hopkick and then actually getting it to hit are easier said than done. Most likely, it would either be backdashed, blocked or interrupted.

I just hate dealing with turtles.

Dereck

You monster.....

LOL, I suppose a bunch of the them might have Lee's b+2 mist step moves. Good luck with those! You can check out Help Me's videos. he is the penultimate Lee/Lars practitioner.
How good can Lee be without the use of Mist Step?

AAK

Well, I probably didn't give the guy enough credit. His electrics were on point as well. Those are faster and have more range than hopkicks, so I don't think the answer is that simple. Getting close enough to do the hopkick and then actually getting it to hit are easier said than done. Most likely, it would either be backdashed, blocked or interrupted.

I just hate dealing with turtles.

Alas then that does mean he's not only putting you in a 50/50 each time and legitimately blocking. One thing, is that being a solid turtle or defensive turtle in TTT2 isn't easy. Your movement, knowledge, and reactions have to be on point. He's gotta know every string that needs to be ducked and be able to break every throw coming at them. Especially since you're not fighting a Korean or a Japanese you can bank on that potential weakness by throwing and testing his knowledge on frame data. So like I said earlier if they are aware of a hopkick you can still do quick mid jabs that beat out the hell sweep and demon uppercuts. And remember, always sidestep left against a Mishima. That's always they're weaker side. Always remember, there are so many variables at play and think of all the options Tekken provides to break your opponent and revel in that battle. Think of it as a learning experience, we all go through such losses. :)

How good can Lee be without the use of Mist Step?

It's analogous to not using Julia's wind rolls for combo's. You miss out on a lot of damage but you are still left with a super solid character. Except in Lee's case, even more so. BTW his new running knee's are craaaaazy good.

Alas then that does mean he's not only putting you in a 50/50 each time and legitimately blocking. One thing, is that being a solid turtle or defensive turtle in TTT2 isn't easy. Your movement, knowledge, and reactions have to be on point. He's gotta know every string that needs to be ducked and be able to break every throw coming at them. Especially since you're not fighting a Korean or a Japanese you can bank on that potential weakness by throwing and testing his knowledge on frame data. So like I said earlier if they are aware of a hopkick you can still do quick mid jabs that beat out the hell sweep and demon uppercuts. And remember, always sidestep left against a Mishima. That's always they're weaker side. Always remember, there are so many variables at play and think of all the options Tekken provides to break your opponent and revel in that battle. Think of it as a learning experience, we all go through such losses. :)

I fought him again today and managed to win more often than not. I was able to predict some of his hellsweeps and played more patiently instead of getting baited into whiffing constantly (I'll have to remember this next time I fight boutdown). The guy is pretty solid. I think he was just taking advantage of the 50/50 before because it was working.

AAK

^^ Good to know! Also sorry about my terrible grammar in that post :( I don't have internet at home right now and I'm using 3G with my phone.

AAK, how do you deal with Leo's b+1,4 KNK df, and how good is Leo without that?

Ahh yes, that string was a nightmare for me at the beginning. This is how I deal with it now:

- When my opponent first does b+1,4 I just keep blocking and see what he or she's going to follow up with.
- If they do any thing other than the 3 hopkick follow up all of Leo's options can be stopped with a simple d+1 crouch jab.
- If they do the 3 follow up it will low crush and launch you, hence because of that fear many people remain blocking.
- Never mash attacks after it since that move is +8 on block, and the 2 follow up will beat out that move since it is super fast and crumple stuns on CH for a juggle.
- The disadvantage of that move if a Leo player abuses it is that it's a high and if you know it's coming just duck and launch.
- Moral of the story is that if the Leo player never threatens you with the 3 follow up just d+1 every time. Even the d/f crouch dash will lose to the jab. If they abuse the 2 just duck and launch.
- However If they do know how to use the 3 follow up to best the crouch jab you are going to have to eat the mixup. The 3 launch is punishable at least. I think it's -13 or -14.

Dereck

^^ Good to know! Also sorry about my terrible grammar in that post :( I don't have internet at home right now and I'm using 3G with my phone.

Ahh yes, that string was a nightmare for me at the beginning. This is how I deal with it now:

- When my opponent first does b+1,4 I just keep blocking and see what he or she's going to follow up with.
- If they do any thing other than the 3 hopkick follow up all of Leo's options can be stopped with a simple d+1 crouch jab.
- If they do the 3 follow up it will low crush and launch you, hence because of that fear many people remain blocking.
- Never mash attacks after it since that move is +8 on block, and the 2 follow up will beat out that move since it is super fast and crumple stuns on CH for a juggle.
- The disadvantage of that move if a Leo player abuses it is that it's a high and if you know it's coming just duck and launch.
- Moral of the story is that if the Leo player never threatens you with the 3 follow up just d+1 every time. Even the d/f crouch dash will lose to the jab. If they abuse the 2 just duck and launch.
- However If they do know how to use the 3 follow up to best the crouch jab you are going to have to eat the mixup. The 3 launch is punishable at least. I think it's -13 or -14.
Sorry, what I'm asking is, a lot of Leo's combo's involve b+1, 4 KNK df, how good can I be with Leo without ever using this? Kind of like Lee's mist step, I find it difficult to do in combos and am wondering if the character can be good without me using it.

AAK

Right... I knew that!

haha, Well, they are definitely her bread and butter and without them her combo potential is greatly diminished... but their difficulty shouldn't be that hard. I think you're trying to cancel the d/f dash into a jab. Instead what you should be doing is, b+1,4 d/f~u/f+1. u/f+1 is a 13 frame left punch and from that you should easily be able to land b+2,1+2 for the bound. I've seen you do much more challenging combo's so you'll get there :)

I suppose a challenging juggle with KNK dashes is Waygamble's 6x knee low parry combo. But I never really tried it or practiced it so I'm not qualified to comment on it :p

Sorry, what I'm asking is, a lot of Leo's combo's involve b+1, 4 KNK df, how good can I be with Leo without ever using this? Kind of like Lee's mist step, I find it difficult to do in combos and am wondering if the character can be good without me using it.

Dude, all you have to do is hold df after b+1,4. No where near as hard as Lee's mist step combos. Although it is really prone to dropping if you're playing in lag.

Use the combo AAK suggested, but do f+2 after the launcher. It actually makes the combo easier, especially off df+2.

Just looking over my older WTF stats, Anakin was one of the first 20 people I ever fought online haha. He implanted the fear of Jacks in me at the earliest stage.

DEATH™

Does anyone truly dislike bound?

I love bound.

- It helps juggle variety, you can actually use more moves for your juggles
- It actually cuts off damage between launch combos and low parry combos
- It makes wall carries more interesting.
- It opens up alot of things juggle wise and oki wise for many characters.

I might beg to differ with Terra, but TRev reminded me how braindead/boring juggles can be as a player without B! And I realized too that even if you remove B! people will still find ways to wall carry you to the wall, or make you stay in the air, and many will still complain about the same thing...

AAK

I really enjoy bound. Opens up so many more options and gives so many other moves in the movelist some great utility. Taking it away would make me sad, but I know a lot of local players that hate it.... sucks being in a minority. Oh well.

Manbig

The one important thing that bound did is standardize basic oki amongst the cast. In DR, some characters pretty much had zero oki. The inclusion of bound gave just about every character at least 1 strong option for various oki situations. With it, oki is still diversified, but the scale between the different characters isn't as lopsided in terms of it.

Top Bottom