• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

I can't think of any top players who use double Jins. Most top players use Devil Jin with Heihachi or Kazuya... And the best Jin player (Hao) pairs him up with Feng.

What made you choose Devil Jin over Hwoarang?

EDIT:

Hwoarang + Jin would be a very good pressure and poking team, actually!

Jin and Hwoarang are good as you say.

I choose Devil Jin because his moveset is the closest to Tekken 3 Jin out of all the characters. He was my original Tekken main. TTT2 Jin has similar button inputs, but his animations are different from Tekken 3. I have had reservations against playing as Devil Jin because of the demonic theme. However, karate Jin is not as fun as Mishima-style Jin, so I decided to mix those two styles together.

sasuke_91

If you just need combo damage badly, consider adding a Bruce or a Lars to your team for easy mode damage.

Nah, I don't like Bruce and Lars that much.
I don't really "need" combo damage, just thought it was cool. People also keep telling me it's senseless to use 2 characters without using Tag combos.

Oh, and thank you for the video.

If you're on PS3, we can spar sometimes.

I am on PS3. Drop me a PM with your PSN-ID, I'll add you :)

GrayFoxPL

Nah, I don't like Bruce and Lars that much.
I don't really "need" combo damage, just thought it was cool. People also keep telling me it's senseless to use 2 characters without using Tag combos.

Oh, and thank you for the video.

I am on PS3. Drop me a PM with your PSN-ID, I'll add you :)

It's not that senseless, because tag combos after bound(assault?) give opponent's 2nd character rage. At first I was tag comboing after every bound then I realized I'm just screwing myself by giving opponent rage. Best combos are tag launcher ones, because they are taking red life and not giving rage. Though may be hard to pull of and get low damage depending on a character. Some players like tag launching into tag bound combo the best. Regular tag combos after bound are a tactical tool. Usually you want do them when opponent's health is close to half because he'll get rage anyway, or to finish him off. One of the most important is the "annoying juggle loop", where you tag combo opponent's first character, he raw tags his raged one, you launch him as he tags, do a tag combo and take away his rage. Opponent's at a point where he must decide to either raw tag again, tag crash and lose all red life or keep fighting with current character who already lost 40-50% of health. This causes most hate mails.

So doing solo combos is not stupid, but you lose quite few tactical options.

My psn is GrayFoxPL

DEATH™

Ggs to AAK and nailbox...

Sorry gotta leave... my internet gets sucky at night for some reason... gotta settle for offline tekken rev...

nailbox u pretty solid... just gotta watch out your offense as at times you throw punishable stuff...

and also... King uf3 is underrated... mwahahaha

Does anyone know any top players who use the same team I do?

There's a really good Japanese Jin/Devil Jin player named Amigo that might help you out. He plays at the Namco Sugamo arcade from time to time.

Vids:
Redbull 5G match AO vs Amigo: (Scroll down to halfway down the page for the video)

http://www.redbull.com/jp/ja/games/stories/1331620767808/red-bull-5g-east-tokyo

and I got a bunch of matches with him from what was streamed on niconico. (video quality is really crappy though)

Knee VS Amigo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO4a8xhyEjM

There's more between those two in the start of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MYmejiITs

Chanel VS Amigo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eHFRHg5W-U

BKC VS Amigo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-vaI1AP6ec

Kagemaru VS Amigo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGy_3mGsr1g

A whole lot more:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FlyingWonkey1/search?query=Amigo

If you're looking for a Korean player the only notable 'dedicated' Jin/Devil Jin player that I can recall is Cherry Berry Mango:

http://www.youtube.com/user/taktak1893/search?query=Cherry

DEATH™;95010577 said:

Sorry gotta leave... my internet gets sucky at night for some reason... gotta settle for offline tekken rev...

nailbox u pretty solid... just gotta watch out your offense as at times you throw punishable stuff...

I get impatient and flustered at times so i start to become sloppy and throw out stuff, let go of block and try to punish things that i can't. People can read that and catch me with a lot of things.

Its perhaps my biggest flaw.

There's a really good Japanese Jin/Devil Jin player named Amigo that might help you out. He plays at the Namco Sugamo arcade from time to time.

Vids:
Redbull 5G match AO vs Amigo: (Scroll down to halfway down the page for the video)

http://www.redbull.com/jp/ja/games/stories/1331620767808/red-bull-5g-east-tokyo

and I got a bunch of matches with him from what was streamed on niconico. (video quality is really crappy though)

Knee VS Amigo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO4a8xhyEjM

There's more between those two in the start of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MYmejiITs

Chanel VS Amigo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eHFRHg5W-U

BKC VS Amigo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-vaI1AP6ec

Kagemaru VS Amigo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGy_3mGsr1g

A whole lot more:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FlyingWonkey1/search?query=Amigo

If you're looking for a Korean player the only notable 'dedicated' Jin/Devil Jin player that I can recall is Cherry Berry Mango:

http://www.youtube.com/user/taktak1893/search?query=Cherry

Those will do nicely. At least one of those videos is over one hour long and despite the maximum quality being under 720p for more than a couple of them, I already learned something from watching one of them. One of them with Amigo does not start with Jin/Devil Jin, so I might skip from and to some parts. I appreciate you finding those.

so, how is this game for a total newby of figthing games as in I haven't played many figthing games besides sf2 and smash bros? because I might buy this game next month if amazon keeps offering for 16 or less

Well, IMO arguably the best fighter of the generation, if not of all time, but it can have a steep learning curve. Most players online range from legitimate and certified near-professionals to very solid players, especially in ranked matches. The game can be very rewarding and in-depth if you are willing to invest time into it and possess ALOT of patience. For newbies to be truthfully honest with you, it will probably be sadistically brutal at first because people online are generally merciless and the game can seem rather complicated at first, but if you stick with it I think you will still have fun because the fighting engine is amazing and so deep. Learning some basic fundamentals such as combos, pokes, punishers, launchers, etc off-line or playing casually in versus mode will definitely help before attempting to jump online. Also, it is probably recommended trying solo mode first before trying to learn the tagging-mechanics if you are not familiar with the fighting engine.

DEATH™;95010577 said:

Yeah, I'm starting to use it more against some of my buddies and it is actually catching them off guard sometimes. It does seem like a good move. No one I encounter ever uses this move for some odd reason.

You can play Tekken Revolution offline or do you mean single player mode since the internet connection seems weak?

Manbig

Well, IMO arguably the best fighter of the generation, if not of all time, but it can have a steep learning curve. Most players online range from legitimate and certified near-professionals to very solid players, especially in ranked matches. The game can be very rewarding and in-depth if you are willing to invest time into it and possess ALOT of patience. For newbies to be truthfully honest with you, it will probably be sadistically brutal at first because people online are generally merciless and the game can seem rather complicated at first, but if you stick with it I think you will still have fun because the fighting engine is amazing and so deep. Learning some basic fundamentals such as combos, pokes, punishers, launchers, etc off-line or playing casually in versus mode will definitely help before attempting to jump online. Also, it is probably recommended trying solo mode first before trying to learn the tagging-mechanics if you are not familiar with the fighting engine.

Don't forget to mention the movement as part of the basics. It's the most complicated thing to get used to, but it is also the absolute most important in the game to master. It's a large part of the reason for the gap between Korea and... Non-Korea existing.

DEATH™

Yeah, I'm starting to use it more against some of my buddies and it is actually catching them off guard sometimes. It does seem like a good move. No one I encounter ever uses this move for some odd reason.

You can play Tekken Revolution offline or do you mean single player mode since the internet connection seems weak?

Yeah uf3 is really good. A quick mid that's long ranged, does good damage and leave you grounded, which is not bad. It's so good that there's a big chance you are gonna hit it, even to BDC freaks. Match this with the patented DEATH™ wakeup FC df2 tech and it becomes super nasty. This moves make his lows really good, unlike regular chars who uses lows to make people duck, this mids keep opponents standing, opening up df4, d4, db3 and low dropkick and even cd1. When I am in troll mode, I just use uf3 and low dropkick on a round... and it still works lol.

and yeah, tekken rev offline... I was just gonna log in to get the sign in bonus but moku rush was available so I played it anyway... Then after a while I came back again and play TTT2 ranked despite the connection... Bad idea...

I get impatient and flustered at times so i start to become sloppy and throw out stuff, let go of block and try to punish things that i can't. People can read that and catch me with a lot of things.

Its perhaps my biggest flaw.

I feel yah... I got the same problem too... It just sucks though because that's what online does, because in general, the lag spikes and the nature of online itself can produce bad habits... I have said this before but it's way harder to grow as a player on your own room with no one to teach you and inconsistent lag spikes around... compared to an arcade with people around you...

Don't forget to mention the movement as part of the basics. It's the most complicated thing to get used to, but it is also the absolute most important in the game to master. It's a large part of the reason for the gap between Korea and... Non-Korea existing.

Yes, so true. Totally forgot about that. It's good that you mentioned that because it is definitely important. There are tutorials on Youtube that go over movement in good detail. I have been playing TTT2 for a little while and I am still not too proficient with it which I am very ashamed to admit. Also, side stepping helps out as well, but imo that is tough to master because the timing seems very strict.

AAK

Honestly, Anakin has his priorities straight. It takes way too much time to stay competitive at this game and with the dwindling tournament numbers, it doesn't pay to stay on top at Tekken.

I'm not gonna name specific people here, but one of the best players in America is still forced to live in public housing with his family. That really says it all right there.

I perfectly understand about how much time it takes to be the best... but again, it just seems a little drastic to completely stop playing the game. Even without playing in tournaments simple casual games are still a lot of fun IMO.

Where do you guys think Harada (under Namco Bandai) will take Tekken?

Yes I agree, TTT2 is the ultimate fighting game. I'm pretty sure that if Namco will make a drastically different Tekken after TxSF then I'm afraid it will be a very long time before that version will develop into something as in depth as TTT2. As for what I think T7 will be like? Hmm... Well going by the overall direction of the past Tekken games it has been leaning more and more towards the fantasy element. Back in Tekken 2 through Tekken 4 the main characters were the Mishima family and their main feud in this cyberpunk enter the dragon atmosphere. After that the games have been getting less and less serious with characters like Alisa, Xiaoyu, Lars, and Jin being the lead representations. Going by that I'm pretty sure they're gonna go even more overboard on the flashy effects and such if Tekken Revolution is any indication. I think the juggle system will still look over the top. As for exact gameplay, it definitely does look like they're trying to simplify it judging by how the wakeup okizeme is 1/10th of what it previously was and how bound is no longer a variable. But other than that I have no idea :p

I've said this before but what I really want is a spin-off style game or a brand new IP from the Tekken team where they make a brand new 3D fighter and start from scratch completely putting a bunch of ideas to the test before really going into TxSF similar to how Arc System Works went along and made Blazblue before jumping back into Guilty Gear.

I play 3 teams:
Hwoarang + Steve
Xiaoyu + Lee
Jin + Eddy (yeah, you're allowed to hate me for this)

but I don't know ANY Tag-Combo. The best solo-Combo I can do is ~80 damage with Jin. I don't even know if my teams fit in any way, let alone talking about their "synergy".
I can't decide for one team, so I play all three of them. I'm not entirely BAD... I think (o_O)
Any tips? Should I arrange those teams in another way? Maybe Hwoarang + Jin?

I'd personally say to start with solo mode. Once you are familiar with a character (i.e. their punishment, their okizeme, their combo's, then think about making a team.

DEATH™;95010577 said:

yeah GG's, East Coast Canada to West Coast US is a sucky connection unfortunately but it was fun regardless. I really like how you refrain from abusing a lot of strings that have high enders or are unsafe. You have a real unique style and it's pretty fun to play against :)

AAK is soooooo good at this now. Throw breaking and punishing. I mean damn. GGs man.

And yet your Nina/Anna team is still invincible against me... Seriously Sayah has crazy recognition skills. You can almost see into the future about what way I'm going to try and defend and bait me accordingly. GG's.

DEATH™

I perfectly understand about how much time it takes to be the best... but again, it just seems a little drastic to completely stop playing the game. Even without playing in tournaments simple casual games are still a lot of fun IMO.

Yes I agree, TTT2 is the ultimate fighting game. I'm pretty sure that if Namco will make a drastically different Tekken after TxSF then I'm afraid it will be a very long time before that version will develop into something as in depth as TTT2. As for what I think T7 will be like? Hmm... Well going by the overall direction of the past Tekken games it has been leaning more and more towards the fantasy element. Back in Tekken 2 through Tekken 4 the main characters were the Mishima family and their main feud in this cyberpunk enter the dragon atmosphere. After that the games have been getting less and less serious with characters like Alisa, Xiaoyu, Lars, and Jin being the lead representations. Going by that I'm pretty sure they're gonna go even more overboard on the flashy effects and such if Tekken Revolution is any indication. I think the juggle system will still look over the top. As for exact gameplay, it definitely does look like they're trying to simplify it judging by how the wakeup okizeme is 1/10th of what it previously was and how bound is no longer a variable. But other than that I have no idea :p

I've said this before but what I really want is a spin-off style game or a brand new IP from the Tekken team where they make a brand new 3D fighter and start from scratch completely putting a bunch of ideas to the test before really going into TxSF similar to how Arc System Works went along and made Blazblue before jumping back into Guilty Gear.

I'd personally say to start with solo mode. Once you are familiar with a character (i.e. their punishment, their okizeme, their combo's, then think about making a team.

yeah GG's, East Coast Canada to West Coast US is a sucky connection unfortunately but it was fun regardless. I really like how you refrain from abusing a lot of strings that have high enders or are unsafe. You have a real unique style and it's pretty fun to play against :)

And yet your Nina/Anna team is still invincible against me... Seriously Sayah has crazy recognition skills. You can almost see into the future about what way I'm going to try and defend and bait me accordingly. GG's.

Anakin is still playing at ATL FinalRoundBats BTW... Just that ATL now just adapted this "why do I have to travel to beat yahoos we always beat" mentality, which comes back to the NEC drama lol.

I wish USA is just small lol...

AAK

Hey sorry nailbomb if you felt I was always choosing my mains against you in our session today! I'll just leave saying that it's a testament to how much I'm scared of your team!

GG's everyone!

Hey sorry nailbomb if you felt I was always choosing my mains against you in our session today! I'll just leave saying that it's a testament to how much I'm scared of your team!

GG's everyone!
Haha its cool.. and thanks! Your Hwoarang and Jaycee team is nasty! I feel accomplished that we have had close matches. You're a very good player, not many people I've played could predict me quite like you.

I think I did pretty well this session. I'm definitely learning a lot by fighting you guys. I'm trying to be more defensive and punish more effectively. But Famicom's defense just cracks me open eventually.

Any advice for my playstyle?

AAK

I'll be honest those weren't predictions. It's my dirty secret but my defense is pretty garbage... I'm very far off before I reach famicom-tier. Those were all fuzzy guards. My team is manufactured to compensate for my crazy weakness in defense. My team is composed of pretty much 2 of the most offensive characters in the game. My mentality is to rush you down before exposing the chink in my armor from your offense.

About your game, one thing you could really improve on is using flowcharts after a knockdown. For example, try experimenting with options that you can do when you know your opponent will backroll, sideroll, quck get up, etc. This guide will really help you in that scenario. Also, throws, they're a fundamental part of the game and you have to learn how to break them and use them.

But of coarse the main things is always character knowledge. You have to know the characters you're fighting against's weakness. If you have specific questions ask away though :)

So I was watching Speedkicks stream yesterday, and he was trying to discuss his view of how he sees and plays Tekken. His main focus of discussion was how we tend to group and simplify things in the game for ease of conversation, but end up becoming detrimental to playing and learning the game. He gave an example of people asking him "hey, how do I stop Hwoarang from stringing me up?", which he can't really answer, because viewing Hwoa's strings as one thing makes it impossible to beat. They have to be looked at as a series of individual moves with their own strengths and weaknesses. Of course it's hard to do that in real time, but the mindset is what's important.

He gave some other examples relating to being observant on how an opponent behaves which should dicatate how you go breaking them down, and using riskier moves with a better payoff if you trust in your reads. Lars orbital heel is -9 on block, and therefore not punishable, but you still have options. He was noting that slow low can reward you with big damage or a combo, but you run the risk of getting launched if the player does another orbital heel or they crouch block. A quicker low can't be punished as hard and -9 is too much disadvantage for another orbital heel to crush. Less reward for that extra safety though.

These are some of the things I was trying to apply last night in the GAF lobby until I lost focus and just started doing stuff recklessly haha.

sasuke_91

Is Tekken Revolution any good if one already has TTT2?

Oh, and I noticed that I need a LOT aof practice! ~15 fights against GrayFoxPL and I didn't win even once xD
I've been playing Tekken for such a long time, yet I never really played that intensely. I should change that, maybe.

Also, do you guys play with a controller or does anyone (or most of you?) use an arcade stick?

Doomshine

Oh, and I noticed that I need a LOT aof practice! ~15 fights against GrayFoxPL and I didn't win even once xD
I've been playing Tekken for such a long time, yet I never really played that intensely. I should change that, maybe.

Also, do you guys play with a controller or does anyone (or most of you?) use an arcade stick?

It's interesting to mess around with the characters in a non-bound setting but there's not really any reason to replace TTT2 with it. I think it's fun but I seem to be in the minority.

I play with a controller.

GrayFoxPL

Hey, good games. You have very good fundamentals. Good reflexes, movement speed, and punish reaction. I couldn't land second hellsweep of Hei ever. Always blocked. You need to learn those tag combos, you did more difficult stuff, so those won't be a problem if you practice a little.

Nice pressure with Hwoarang, you could've killed me couple of times with him, but you did the wrong follow up. I didn't play him since T6 but I think it's left flamingo d+4 - that tripping low that leaves Hwo crouching, you should follow up with ws3(while standing up 3) that gives a bound and a combo. That would've killed me, but you did ws4,4 and that let me roll to the side and tag out.

Also with Jin abuse f+4 and b+2,1. It's his best tools for everything.

Revolution is not good Tekken experience in terms of what we were playing over the years. Invincibles can stop every mixup even if you are at huge frame advantage, and stats brake the game. If someone has 200 power, he can kill you in 4 hits, and usually rounds end after 1 combo and scoring about 2 hits.
Without stats Revo plays well, bit similar to T5 but still mostly goes by it's own rules.

It's not good to train for Tag2, but worth to check out.

But really Sasuke, learn 2-3 tag combos and I'll be in trouble.

Manbig

Hey, good games. You have very good fundamentals. Good reflexes, movement speed, and punish reaction. I couldn't land second hellsweep of Hei ever. Always blocked. You need to learn those tag combos, you did more difficult stuff, so those won't be a problem if you practice a little.

Nice pressure with Hwoarang, you could've killed me couple of times with him, but you did the wrong follow up. I didn't play him since T6 but I think it's left flamingo d+4 - that tripping low that leaves Hwo crouching, you should follow up with ws3(while standing up 3) that gives a bound and a combo. That would've killed me, but you did ws4,4 and that let me roll to the side and tag out.

Revolution is not good Tekken experience in terms of what we were playing over the years. Invincibles can stop every mixup even if you are at huge frame advantage, and stats brake the game. If someone has 200 power, he can kill you in 4 hits, and usually rounds end after 1 combo and scoring about 2 hits.
Without stats Revo plays well, bit similar to T5 but still mostly goes by it's own rules.

It's not good to train for Tag2, but worth to check out.

We've already been over this. That is straight up misinformation. Invincibles need several frames to actually go through moves.

joeblow

A lot of misinformation. Since the TR stat nerf, a 0 stat player with skills can hang with a lot of the max stats players because the gap is less than it used to be.

Also, invincibles can be dealt with in many ways: block and punish, side step and punish, some are even easy to jump over and punish with slower aerial moves (i.e. Law's incincible).

TR isn't for everyone, but it's a nice diversion from "real" Tekken like TTT2, and I recommend it for anyone who is new to the series.

I'll be honest those weren't predictions. It's my dirty secret but my defense is pretty garbage... I'm very far off before I reach famicom-tier. Those were all fuzzy guards. My team is manufactured to compensate for my crazy weakness in defense. My team is composed of pretty much 2 of the most offensive characters in the game. My mentality is to rush you down before exposing the chink in my armor from your offense.

About your game, one thing you could really improve on is using flowcharts after a knockdown. For example, try experimenting with options that you can do when you know your opponent will backroll, sideroll, quck get up, etc. This guide will really help you in that scenario. Also, throws, they're a fundamental part of the game and you have to learn how to break them and use them.

But of coarse the main things is always character knowledge. You have to know the characters you're fighting against's weakness. If you have specific questions ask away though :)
I see now. Well at least you were able to fuzzy guard at most of the right times :p

I'm not really good at predicting when an opponent will sideroll or backroll, etc. I atleast know I should stomp with Kaz or Heihachi if an opponent lays and waits for me to wiff an attack, and I should hellsweep when they backroll.

As for throws, I know how important they are though sometimes I neglect them until I can't get in otherwise. Especially for when I play with Armor King, I need to take advantage of the Shining Wizards and the Giant Swings.

I was watching some of taktak's videos and got the urge to play this again. Gonna try out the Dualshock 4 and see how the d-pad works for fighting games.

GrayFoxPL

Misinformation that you win at frame disadvantage, yeah sure.

"Several" frames before it's activated is literally several, like 2-3. Yeah huge problem for opponent when you try to bodycheck him with 14 frame mid.

Manbig

Misinformation that you win at frame disadvantage, yeah sure.

"Several" frames before it's activated is literally several, like 2-3. Yeah huge problem for opponent when you try to bodycheck him with 14 frame mid.

It's more like 4-5 frames, but hey keep acting like you know what you're talking about when this has already pretty much been verified.

sasuke_91

Wow, thanks. I never gave so much thought to the follow up, but it seems as if I've missed some great opportunities to actually beat you a few times :D
I should really try some tag-combos, especially with Hwoarang/Steve. Also, I think I'm going to throw out Eddy. I know him a little bit, but I'm not really good with him. Xiaoyu will stay, though. She's really fun to play :D

We should really repeat that sometimes :)

GrayFoxPL

It's more like 4-5 frames, but hey keep acting like you know what you're talking about when this has already pretty much been verified.

Wow, it's 4 frames not 3(and you're not even sure), that makes a world of difference considering player usually works with 10 frame jabs at best, not everyone has yoshi flash. Player who knows how to abuse the system can shut down anything on reaction, without giving any random invincible for opponent to punish. Even trade while doing invincible is good since it blows opponent away no matter what, even if he scored a launch. Safe! But good for you. You are complaining so much about mixups, so keep defending this and don't mind my posts, because we're never gonna agree.

Wow, thanks. I never gave so much thought to the follow up, but it seems as if I've missed some great opportunities to actually beat you a few times :D
I should really try some tag-combos, especially with Hwoarang/Steve. Also, I think I'm going to throw out Eddy. I know him a little bit, but I'm not really good with him. Xiaoyu will stay, though. She's really fun to play :D

We should really repeat that sometimes :)

No problem. Glad I could help.

In tag combos I do this tag filler with Steve: df+1~2~1B(flicker)1,hold b 3+4(albatros spin),2 (4 hits)
I think this one's decent. There's also df+1~2~1B,f+3(or4)1 (3 hits) or
f+3(or4),2,f,1 (2 hits). Or Sonic fang df+1+2. But I think first one is most decent for standard combo.

I think Xiaoyu can fill a tag combo with f+2,1,4(1,2,4?) for nice damage.

Hope we play again. I'm trying new team Bruce-Kaz, and I suck with them.

Manbig

Wow, it's 4 frames not 3(and you're not even sure), that makes a world of difference considering player usually works with 10 frame jabs at best, not everyone has yoshi flash. Player who knows how to abuse the system can shut down anything on reaction, without giving any random invincible for opponent to punish. Even trade while doing invincible is good since it blows opponent away no matter what, even if he scored a launch. Safe! But good for you. You are complaining so much about mixups, so keep defending this and don't mind my posts, because we're never gonna agree.

In tag combos I do this tag filler with Steve: df+1~2~1B(flicker)1,hold b 3+4(albatros spin),2 (4 hits)
f+3(or4),2,f,1 (2 hits). Or Sonic fang df+1+2. But I think first one is most decent for standard combo.

The thing here is not about us agreeing. It's fine that you don't like them. The problem is that your points are based on either factually wrong information (Dragunov at +8 beats out invincible moves with a 13 frame mid, so that's 5 frames), or unproven theorycrafting.

It's like when Rip made the dumbass statement that you can just react to any animation and throw out an invincible move for free. The only time this is effective is when the opponent is throwing out HEAVILY telegraphed stuff from across the screen (like Lei trying to close the distance with a random Razor Rush).

On top of that, most people that aren't playing like idiots close the distance with fairly quick moves. Something like Bob's Cracker Jacker, which is i16. Add the early frame vulnerability window to that and you have a recipe for disaster for anyone that's trying to pull that nonsense. God forbid if you're dealing with something faster like Party Crasher...

Simply put, your point is completely brought up on speculation while my point is brought up on actual experience and testing. The burden of proof is on the people saying "Oh I can just blow through every mix up and react to every attack with these moves." Don't just assume that is the case and act like you can completely write off a mechanic with potential just because of it.

GrayFoxPL

The thing here is not about us agreeing. It's fine that you don't like them. The problem is that your points are based on either factually wrong information (Dragunov at +8 beats out invincible moves with a 13 frame mid, so that's 5 frames), or unproven theorycrafting.

It's like when Rip made the dumbass statement that you can just react to any animation and throw out an invincible move for free. The only time this is effective is when the opponent is throwing out HEAVILY telegraphed stuff from across the screen (like Lei trying to close the distance with a random Razor Rush).

On top of that, most people that aren't playing like idiots close the distance with fairly quick moves. Something like Bob's Cracker Jacker, which is i16. Add the early frame vulnerability window to that and you have a recipe for disaster for anyone that's trying to pull that nonsense. God forbid if you're dealing with something faster like Party Crasher...

Simply put, your point is completely brought up on speculation while my point is brought up on actual experience and testing. The burden of proof is on the people saying "Oh I can just blow through every mix up and react to every attack with these moves." Don't just assume that is the case and act like you can completely write off a mechanic with potential just because of it.

Maybe for you needs to be HEAVILY telegraphed, I've blown up 1,2s online, and that's standard poking. Hell, I blown up dragunovs that could easily outclass me if it was Tag2 just thanks to retarded properties of invicibles.

Why are you giving examples of characters that aren't in the game? Bob might be in since yesterday, or shit like that, can't remember, but Lei? Have you brought Revo info on from your "actual experience and testing"? Or is it that "speculation" thing?

Cracked me up. You really are a theory fighter in all the glory.

Have some decency and don't talk on what other's people point is based on, because you don't fucking know. That what speculation is, and it's the lowest kind. You got some ego problems.

I based my point on my ~1500 Revo fights, not on imaginary scenarios where I take Tag2 character and look at him as a 1 to 1 copy in Revo.

Manbig

Maybe for you needs to be HEAVILY telegraphed, I've blown up 1,2s online, and that's standard poking. Hell, I blown up dragunovs that could easily outclass me if it was Tag2 just thanks to retarded properties of invicibles.

Why are you giving examples of characters that aren't in the game? Bob might be in since yesterday, or shit like that, can't remember, but Lei? Have you brought Revo info on from your "actual experience and testing"? Or is it that "speculation" thing?

Cracked me up. You really are a theory fighter in all the glory.

Have some decency and don't talk on what other's people point is based on, because you don't fucking know. That what speculation is, and it's the lowest kind. You got some ego problems.

I based my point on my ~1500 Revo fights, not on imaginary scenarios where I take Tag2 character and look at him as a 1 to 1 copy in Revo.

Unless your opponent is starting the strings from across the screen (like my Razor Rush example) I don't believe for a second that you're blowing up jab strings on reaction. If your reactions are that good, then you should be winning tournaments.

My Lei Razor Rush example was brought up as a move that people like to use from across the screen to get in on you. There are lots of other moves that can replace Razor Rush in that example. The Bob Cracker Jacker was an example of a good mid-long range move that people use for the distance. Just like Razor Rush, you can replace that example with many other moves. I guess you missed the part where I said "something like" when bringing up my example though.

Proving that your examples are flawed has nothing to do with decency or my ego. My ego would be saying that I'm probably way better at you in Tekken so you shouldn't even be talking to me right now, but I'm not doing that. Instead I'm pointing out the flaws in your points.

Sayah

There's already fan art? This character will go far.

Bb2AXFWCEAAkwJj.jpg:large

sasuke_91

The first one deals quite some damage, although I have to figure out how to follow up when Hwoarang comes in again. If I do, that will be my first Tag-Combo :p
Same goes for Xiaoyu + Lee. And yeah, it's f+2,1,4

Thank you :D

GrayFoxPL

The first one deals quite some damage, although I have to figure out how to follow up when Hwoarang comes in again. If I do, that will be my first Tag-Combo :p
Same goes for Xiaoyu + Lee. And yeah, it's f+2,1,4

Thank you :D

No problem.

I'm not very good at tag combo finishes really, lol. If tag filler was 4 hits or something then I go for running kick fff+3 with everyone.

Lee usually ends combos with fff+3,4 and df+3,2,3. What's cool about df3,2,3 is that you can tag buffer last hit so Lee tags out fast. Recovery is much better then no tagging so it's possible last hit of df3,2,3~tag will carry opponent to wall and you have free wall combo with your second character.

In wall stages it is good to try finish tag combos with not necessary most damaging move but with one that will wall carry opponent even higher and further, and has small enough recovery so you can follow up with a wall combo. Like Jin's b+2,1 or Lee's, f,n,(mist step) 3,4, if you had long combo. Jabs can be good enough too.
In infinite stages you must go for damage. Weak fff + 3 for me, lol.

ShinFuYux

I really hated Tekken Tag for the PS2, is there any chance I would like TT2? I really enjoyed Tekken 6 (offline only, I can't deal with online) but it seems like TT2 seems like your character is constantly floating around while your opponent beats you into a pulp. I didn't see much of that in Tekken 6, so, am I wrong to assume TT2 is a completely different game?

Sayah

I really hated Tekken Tag for the PS2, is there any chance I would like TT2? I really enjoyed Tekken 6 (offline only, I can't deal with online) but it seems like TT2 seems like your character is constantly floating around while your opponent beats you into a pulp. I didn't see much of that in Tekken 6, so, am I wrong to assume TT2 is a completely different game?
Well, Tekken 6 was heavy on juggles as well.
TTT2 just builds onto Tekken 6, in a way. The bound system is taken further with Tag assaults. The rage/netsu system becomes part of a stronger meta game.

Newcomers in the series often seem to be turned away by the juggles. Though, Tekken combos are no where near as long as some other fighting games. But if you give time investment to the series, it's very greatly rewarding and the game quickly becomes addictive because there is a lot of potential for team combinations/creativity. I can say that the gameplay is deep, balanced, immersive, and fun. TTT2 is pretty much the pinnacle of the Tekken series. It is the evolution of everything that came before it. The gameplay system can essentially be considered to be the outcome of 18+ years of game development.

I have a strong bias for the game as I consider it my favorite game of the previous generation. So yes, I would say buy it. It can regardless be enjoyed at a casual level if you're not looking to get into the game more seriously. Plus, unlike Tekken 6, TTT2 has ranked matches offline as well so you can invest a good amount of time there in addition to the other modes.

Tag 2 is essentially the same game as Tekken 6. The only major gameplay system changes between each game all relate to the tag system (movement became a bit more buff in Tag 2, but only serious players of T6 and Tag 2 would notice this). Juggles just appear more prevalent because it's two characters doing it instead of one.

I don't know which part of offline T6 you played/liked the most, but Tag 2 doesn't have anything like T6's campaign mode. The Wii U version has a bit more content in terms of non-standard modes, but other than that you would have to enjoy the 2v2/2v1/1v1 battles to get the most out of this game.

Erigu

Newcomers in the series often seem to be turned away by the juggles. Though, Tekken combos are no where near as long as some other fighting games.
Just my (fairly uneducated) opinion, but those combos generally involve hitting a curiously bouncing character again and again, which feels really off to me. Even knowing "that's just how Tekken is", it doesn't feel natural, like that's gaming the system or something like that.

Just my (fairly uneducated) opinion, but those combos generally involve hitting a curiously bouncing character again and again, which feels really off to me. Even knowing "that's just how Tekken is", it doesn't feel natural, like that's gaming the system or something like that.
Trust me, the Tekken combo system is much more satisfying and flashy than that of most other 3D fighters. Regardless of how realistic it seems, it gives much room for creativity and spectacle. The juggle systems of the competitors just quite aren't up to par with Tekken because you can't manipulate the other player during combos like you can in Tekken.

Dereck

If you feel that way about Tekken then I have bad news, all fighting games these days either have; a juggling combo system, or a ground combo system. Dead or Alive, Marvel Vs. Capcom and Injustice aren't that different from Tekken in that respect, you hit people floating in the air in those games too.

If I didn't know any better, I could watch this video, and conclude that Marvel Vs Capcom 3 only involves hitting floating people in the air over and over again.

Erigu

If you feel that way about Tekken then I have bad news, all fighting games these days either have; a juggling combo system, or a ground combo system.
Yeah, thanks. But like said above, it's the juggling specifically that feels weird/unnatural to me, and it seems far more prevalent in Tekken than in other fighting games.

To each his own I suppose, but the asthetics of juggles in Tekken don't really bother me at all. As far as how prevalent they are relative to other games, I dunno. Historically, Soul Calibur has been very light on juggle combos (especially since that game has air control), but they are a big part of SCV. Virtua Fighter juggles all look more weird to me than Tekken. Those don't bother me either. As far as DOA goes, I suppose among 3D games it may handle juggles the best at the moment, mostly because the combat system is based off counters, counter baiting and combo resets, but that's a very different style of game. I'm not that qualified to speak on it.

Maybe Tekken just seems more weird because its juggles happen out in the open field? There aren't too many 2D fighters I can think of with heavy emphasis on mid screen juggle combos. Typically they try to carry you to the corner to maximize juggle opportunities. But then again, I don't see how juggling someone against an invisible stage wall looks any more pleasing to the eye than what Tekken does. But hey, Tekken even does that too. Maybe the franchise needs to go back to this.

Erigu

Virtua Fighter juggles all look more weird to me than Tekken[/URL].
Well, I haven't played a Virtua Fighter game in... fuck. A very, very long time. Entirely possible that it would bother me there as well.

Maybe Tekken just seems more weird because its juggles happen out in the open field? There aren't too many 2D fighters I can think of with heavy emphasis on mid screen juggle combos.
And I think 2D fighters can simply get away with a lot more because of their simplified / intrinsically cartoonish look. The more "realistic"-looking a game gets...

Of course, like I said, that's me. It's been a long time since I tried playing a fighting game "seriously", and I'm now mostly in for the graphics, animations, silly stories, that kind of stuff. But I'm thinking it might partly explain why some newcomers have a problem with that: I imagine a lot of players don't necessarily start playing a game with the intent to "master" it (even if they might get there eventually), and their initial priorities would probably differ quite a bit from those of serious players who, in Tekken's case, see the juggling and immediately think of the mechanics and what they will allow in terms of combos.

Sayah

Tekken is realistic in the sense that it has character moves based off of certain fighting styles. But otherwise, I don't think it attempts to be super realistic like an mma fighter. It's got a lot of fantasy elements.

I LOOOOOOVE the animations in TTT2. The way the opponent rolls repeatedly in the air after certain attacks. Wow.

And Tekken pretty much is known for its hit effects. I don't think any fighter even comes close to producing that same level of satisfaction from hits.

Top Bottom