• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Erigu

Tekken is realistic in the sense that it has character moves based off of certain fighting styles. But otherwise, I don't think it attempts to be super realistic like an mma fighter. It's got a lot of fantasy elements.
Oh, I know. It's only realistic up to a point, obviously.

Manbig

I really hated Tekken Tag for the PS2, is there any chance I would like TT2? I really enjoyed Tekken 6 (offline only, I can't deal with online) but it seems like TT2 seems like your character is constantly floating around while your opponent beats you into a pulp. I didn't see much of that in Tekken 6, so, am I wrong to assume TT2 is a completely different game?

Yeah, thanks. But like said above, it's the juggling specifically that feels weird/unnatural to me, and it seems far more prevalent in Tekken than in other fighting games.

If the juggling really bothers you that much, and you don't plan on jumping right into the competitive aspect of it vs other people, then you can avoid a lot of that by playing the single player at the medium difficulty. The AI will hardly juggle you and you can play how you see fit and have fun doing it. The only real downside is the lack of a campaign mode, but there's a fuckton of characters that you can play through the game with to see the Tekken staple of ridiculously crazy (and sometimes awesome) ending videos.

If you're down for that, then it's an easy recommendation, because you can get the game for super cheap these days. I say go for it.

Erigu

If you're down for that, then it's an easy recommendation, because you can get the game for super cheap these days. I say go for it.
Oh, I bought the game back when it was released (but thank you for taking the time to type all that for me). ^^
I was just chiming in regarding this "being turned away by the juggles" thing, as I can relate.

Manbig

Oh, I bought the game back when it was released (but thank you for taking the time to type all that for me). ^^
I was just chiming in regarding this "being turned away by the juggles" thing, as I can relate.

Yeah, my apologies. I initially mistook you for the person that asked for thoughts about the game. I decided to quote that person also because the point was relevant on both ends.

I have to say that the constant tallying of my wins and losses prevents me from wanting to experiment with other characters. I know it's just me, but I wish there were a way to play without that in my face when playing against the ai. Because as it is, I'm just cheesing the ai and developing bad habits. #singleplayerwoes

Edit: the reason for this post is I was looking through my old drawings of videogame characters to share in a thread on the gaming side. All of the videogame related drawings I still have saved are of Tekken characters and one of which doubled as a bookmark in the original TTT strategy guide and had my own combos written all over it. Made me sad that once Tekken started getting meta with its competitiveness, my interest started dwindling. Ah well. I'm still excited for a Tekken 7 and/or a 20th anniversary announcement.

Manbig

I have to say that the constant tallying of my wins and losses prevents me from wanting to experiment with other characters. I know it's just me, but I wish there were a way to play without that in my face when playing against the ai. Because as it is, I'm just cheesing the ai and developing bad habits. #singleplayerwoes

Edit: the reason for this post is I was looking through my old drawings of videogame characters to share in a thread on the gaming side. All of the videogame related drawings I still have saved are of Tekken characters and one of which doubled as a bookmark in the original TTT strategy guide and had my own combos written all over it. Made me sad that once Tekken started getting meta with its competitiveness, my interest started dwindling. Ah well. I'm still excited for a Tekken 7 and/or a 20th anniversary announcement.

But Tekken has pretty much always been that way. It's just that most people didn't know because of the lack of internet.

But Tekken has pretty much always been that way. It's just that most people didn't know because of the lack of internet.

Until Tekken 5, the games never recorded your battle records, had you use a screen name or allowed rainbow afros and giant sushi backpacks for individualism. I only ask for a non-BS mode for old time's sake. It's such a childish thing to be bothered by but it affects my enjoyment which is a big deal when it comes to play time. TTT2 would be my most played game if it weren't for such goofy costumes and stat recording in every mode. I'm not playing as a character at an arcade playing a game against other imaginary players at an arcade playing a game, I'm just trying to play the game, damn it.

I suppose there's Tekken Revolution. Doesn't track your offline W/L record, doesn't track online losses, and no customizations. You're limited by the coin system though.

Manbig

Until Tekken 5, the games never recorded your battle records, had you use a screen name or allowed rainbow afros and giant sushi backpacks for individualism. I only ask for a non-BS mode for old time's sake. It's such a childish thing to be bothered by but it affects my enjoyment which is a big deal when it comes to play time. TTT2 would be my most played game if it weren't for such goofy costumes and stat recording in every mode. I'm not playing as a character at an arcade playing a game against other imaginary players at an arcade playing a game, I'm just trying to play the game, damn it.

I was referring to your Tekken getting meta statement.

I was referring to your Tekken getting meta statement.

Well what I meant by "meta" was how it started acting like you were at the arcades in a competitve scene in singleplayer modes having your screen name and wins and losses take over character names and had you fighting other "players" and their customized "warriors" (usually brightly colored, horrible looking designs that do not do the graphics justice)... sure, having one mode for that is cool, but not in everyfuckingthing.

Again, I'd be more inclined to playing, experimenting, and hopping online more often if the game didn't do what it does to keep me away.

Sajjaja

Alright, so I've finally figured out who the characters I'm going to learn with are: Marshall Law and Jin.

So, I've been reading ATPs site and this thread and found out that movement is the first thing to worry about.

Is backdash cancelling something I should just sit down and practice the hell out of, or will it come with time. How do I know if I'm doing it right :S

Blocking is kind of hard in this game too because the moveset of every character is so vast, I'm not sure which way any character is going to hit.

Is backdash cancelling something I should just sit down and practice the hell out of, or will it come with time. How do I know if I'm doing it right :S

A bit of both, it takes a bit to get the rhythm of the back dash cancelling input down (it slightly differs between characters too) but as you start using it more it'll come to you naturally.

It's also pretty easy to visually see whether or not you are cancelling the back dashes right. Go into Practice mode and then just back dash normally (bb,bb,bb,bb etc) then note the time it takes to get far away from the opponent. Then just go back near the opponent and try back dash cancelling. You'll instantly notice that bdc got you further away from the opponent quicker then just back dashing normally.

Manbig

Well what I meant by "meta" was how it started acting like you were at the arcades in a competitve scene in singleplayer modes having your screen name and wins and losses take over character names and had you fighting other "players" and their customized "warriors" (usually brightly colored, horrible looking designs that do not do the graphics justice)... sure, having one mode for that is cool, but not in everyfuckingthing.

Again, I'd be more inclined to playing, experimenting, and hopping online more often if the game didn't do what it does to keep me away.

Ahh, okay. Thank you for the clarification. I can see where you're coming from.

Doomshine

Blocking is kind of hard in this game too because the moveset of every character is so vast, I'm not sure which way any character is going to hit.

That comes with experience, but as a general rule don't randomly duck too much. Try to keep a standing guard and only duck if you feel like you have a read on your opponent or if you can see the low.

Sayah

Picked up the game 3 days ago. I need to practice hours and hours of juggling.
King/Nina team or
ForrestLaw/Nina

Either will work. Nina takes some time to master but it's well worth it to learn her. Very rewarding character.

I might make some combos for those teams and for Law/King over the weekend.

I honestly suggest just getting a really short basic combo down and learning how to play the game and your characters first.

I need to play you guys more, i always seem to forget that you guys tend to play sessions online.

Dereck

I honestly suggest just getting a really short basic combo down and learning how to play the game and your characters first.

I need to play you guys more, i always seem to forget that you guys tend to play sessions online.
I you need someone to play spar with message me.

DEATH™

Hey mike, how is tekken nation?

and ggs boutdown... embrace the snake edge man...

and also, I haven't tried doing king wavedash though... Gotta practice it right...

DEATH™

You need to practice combos after snake edge man... You know you will win alot more if you just do it more...

YOU NEED TO EMBRACE IT... YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO...

Join_the_Darkside_by_Xadrea.png

Dereck

You can tell that I never use Snake Edge, because when I threw it out by accident, I was like, WTF just happened? Bryan is solid enough that I never have to use Snake Edge unless I'm raw tag punishing.

DEATH™

You can tell that I never use Snake Edge, because when I threw it out by accident, I was like, WTF just happened? Bryan is solid enough that I never have to use Snake Edge unless I'm raw tag punishing.

What I can tell you right now is DONT LIMIT YOUR TOOLSET. Look, you may say bryan is solid enough, but you end up being easier to deal many times because after a couple of rounds moving around, I knew which moves I'm dealing with... Don't think of some moves as just "gimmicks" but actually explore what you can do with them. And you may say otherwise, but Snake Edge is a threat. You throw that move not only for raw tag punish or as a highcrush, but to just let someone know that you are not afraid to use it. Doing that and you make your opponent's life difficult.

For example, I can easily say that King players can live without learning his multithrows. King is solid enough to play without it, but having that threat will not only tax my opponent (in this case, you) some brain power, you will also pull your hair when I actually finish the string. There's a reason why wakeup FC df2 still hits people despite seeing me do that move everytime, cause we as humans unconciously worry about other threats or thinking about other things. Even pros get hit by slower moves that people say shouldn't hit...

(BTW don't mash 1 when I multi you... yes I knew.)

Manbig

King's multi throws actually have 50/50 guessing game breaks. Snake Edge is a 100% seeable low. There is nothing to compare. Outside of punishing stuff like raw tags, using Snake Edge is making a hard guess that a high (or some mids) is coming so you want to crush it for max damage. Unless you feel that your yomi is that good, don't use it.

DEATH™

King's multi throws actually have 50/50 guessing game breaks. Snake Edge is a 100% seeable low. There is nothing to compare. Outside of punishing stuff like raw tags, using Snake Edge is making a hard guess that a high (or some mids) is coming so you want to crush it for max damage. Unless you feel that your yomi is that good, don't use it.

I'm not comparing, I'm saying that even if I can win without it, I won't settle for that, cause I want to not only give people diferent looks, I want to totally frustrate them yet outclass them... Having a wide toolset helps.

Yes, despite seeable and punishable, Snake Edge is still a good move just because its a highcrush, a low and a launcher. Bout already has the right conservatives aggressive playstyle already. Im not saying spam it, but either

1. Find the right situations where you know snake edge is gonna hit easier (opponents pressure alot with highs, being reckless, forward dashing too much)

2. Or use it on times and try to minimize the risks (use it on around beginning of a round where you can afford getting punished and not lose etc.)

DEATH™;96355457 said:
I'm not comparing, I'm saying that even if I can win without it, I won't settle for that, cause I want to not only give people diferent looks, I want to totally frustrate them yet outclass them... Having a wide toolset helps.

I am of the mindset that a smaller toolset is more beneficial. The less thinking I have to do about my own moves, the more mental space I can free up to think about my opponent. Of course, knowing all of your options never hurts.
This is probably why Hwoa melts my brain.

I can understand both sides of using and not using Snake Edge. It is a high risk/high reward move. Some of its risk is mitigated by online lag, thus making it cheap. Winning "by any means necessary" doesn't satisfy everyone, nor does playing super risky. Plus you never want to develop a bad habit of leaning on something like that as a crutch. I throw out Mig's db1 and Armor King's db3 all day and night mostly because they aren't SUPER rewarding like a Snake Edge and I don't feel like a scumbag, but I will occasionally run into a player that blocks them (hi AAK) and I end up getting flustered because of bad habits. Similarly I had to tone down using Bruce's Passart stance because I hated putting myself in a situation of getting potentially blown up.

I wouldn't disparage the way anyone chooses to play, though. If the opponent can't block seeable lows or break throws, then it's your right to expose that. The game can still be fun without that though.

Manbig

The interesting thing to note about Snake Edge is that it's actually quite difficult to get a high damage whiff punish on it due to Bryan recovering fairly quickly after the active frames of the move. There are exceptions though. Something like Lars' fake Orbital Heel (u/f4) will have no problem whiff punishing it.

This is actually an interesting thing about a lot of sweeps that leave the character close to the floor. Consider the Armor King d/b3 sweep for example. If you space it correctly, it consistently goes under a lot of low crushes and the character that tried the low crush will land on the sweep and still get hit. It happens fairly often.

Another thing to note about when these sweeps are used from max distance is that some characters (Dragunov) need to adjust the timing on their WS punisher. Depending on how educated your opponent is, you might be able to throw them off by simply spacing these moves out. Just don't make it a habit.

GrayFoxPL

Funny glitch with tekken tunes. I was having a very long match at condor canyon stage and close to the end of the fight the song I set up switched back to the old song I was having way earlier on this stage. Wut?

Dereck

GrayFox post 3 Lee combos that only require one neutral.

Also trying to get a bound after 1,2n 1,2n, but that only seems to wall carry.

GrayFoxPL

GrayFox post 3 Lee combos that only require one neutral.

1 mist step?

uf+4, 4, b+2~f,n, f+4,3 B!

df+2, ff+4, b+2~f,n, f+4,3 B!

ch4, b+1,1~f,n, f+4,3 B!

fff+3,4, dash df+1, b+1,1~f,n, df+3,2,3

d,db+4, UF4, 1,2f,n, f+4,3 B!

d,db+4, 4,u+3, b+1,1~f,n, f+4,3 Bound

d,db+4 ws+2,3 then b+1,1~f,n, or b+2~f,n, or 12f,n, or f+4,3

f,n,3,4, f+4,3 or 2,1,1 Bound,

after df+2 or uf+4 it's possible to do 4,u+3 dash, cancel dash rapidly with jab or b+2~f,n, or b+1,1~f,n, or f+4,3. The combo uf+4, 4,u+3, ff~n~f+4,3 I can't execute. I have no ability to cancel dash in neutral into f+4,3 fast enough, but with your execution you may do it.

In most above combos b+2~f,n, and b+1,1~f,n can be exchanged. b+2~f,n, is more damage, harder to connect, b+1,1~f,n easier to connect, lower damage.

f+4,3 can mostly be exchanged by 2,1,1 but there's no need really.

Edit: Fun combos that you don't really see anywhere are from ch ss right +3+4 opponent floats like after Jin's ch EWHF. You can run up with f+4,3 or fff+3,4 etc for bound. But timing is harder.

Dereck

b+2~f,n is easier than I thought, thanks

Damn, b+2~f,n can be thrown in just about anywhere.

EDIT: OMG I LOVE LEE

EDIT 2: I can do b+2~f,n more than once in a combo as long as I jab inbetween them.

EDIT 3: I have a problem integrating df 2,3,2 into a wall carry after mistep punches, it doesn't connect unless I do b+2~f,n,1, f 2,3,2 bound at wall.

GrayFoxPL

b+2~f,n is easier than I thought, thanks

Damn, b+2~f,n can be thrown in just about anywhere.

EDIT: OMG I LOVE LEE

EDIT 2: I can do b+2~f,n more than once in a combo as long as I jab inbetween them.

EDIT 3: I have a problem integrating df 2,3,2 into a wall carry after mistep punches, it doesn't connect unless I do b+2~f,n,1, f 2,3,2 bound at wall.

You can do 7 b+2~f,n so have fun.

df+3,2,3 must be hit very quick so it lands almost deep under floating opponent. It also depends on number of combo hits.

For wall carry combo after mist steps ws+2,3 is what carries far and high but it's difficult to perform and difficult to explain. b+2~f,n, B+2,3 is kinda "official" command for ws+2,3 inside mist step but it really depends how you'll figure it out. For me, when I did b+2~f,n b, n,~f(sharply shrug b,f)+2,3 it came out the most. You must test out yourself. I think the key is to catch lee when he does back sway after mist step(f,n,b,n) when his frames show him starting ducking animation.

Simple wall carry after mist steps is f,n,3,4 but it's not perfect.

Sayah

Seems like I won't be able to use neogaf soon enough. I was using my second browser and tried to login and completely forgot the password. Neogaf had me recently change it I think and I don't remember what I changed it to. Anyway, resetting the password requires sending a email but the email I had setup with this account is old and currently non-functional. So if I log out of GAF on Chrome one day, then I probably will have no way of getting access to the account. I don't really use this site that much outside of the Tekken thread so I guess it'll be okay.

Oh damn, Norcal's Iloveyourmoms passed away :(

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...reamed-in-its-entirety-to-honor-the-pass.html

RIP. So many great Tekken players passed away within these past few months.

I didn't know him but I'm sorry to hear. Prayers for him and his family. RIP.

Manbig

Seems like I won't be able to use neogaf soon enough. I was using my second browser and tried to login and completely forgot the password. Neogaf had me recently change it I think and I don't remember what I changed it to. Anyway, resetting the password requires sending a email but the email I had setup with this account is old and currently non-functional. So if I log out of GAF on Chrome one day, then I probably will have no way of getting access to the account. I don't really use this site that much outside of the Tekken thread so I guess it'll be okay.

I didn't know him but I'm sorry to hear. Prayers for him and his family. RIP.

Did you try hitting up one of the mods?

Top Bottom