• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

DEATH™

Ggs to nailbox and bout...

darn nailbox... u solid... though I hate it when I can't punish Kaz df2 right... same with hei ff2... my fault...

muhnner hurry up and master lee... I need to practice the matchup...

sorry at times when I suddenly dont move... its hard to play while babysitting lol...

DEATH™

I'm done with ranked...

tumblr_mz7tw6y6cw1sqsi0ao1_1280.jpg

Now gotta stick to lobbies to actually focus on improving my game lol

Sayah

Tested out some video editing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNw2dF4BiJk
Some of the combos are my own and some are borrowed from other youtube videos. I might create a multi-character combo video even though it won't be even close to as good as the other ones I've seen.

Any thoughts or inputs on improving this. Obviously, I need more combos but other than that.

Did you try hitting up one of the mods?

I don't know any of the mods really.

GrayFoxPL

Fuck, I think Baek's ss+3+4 works like Lee's b+1,1,2. It's duckable on hit?

One dude was playing king I connected with ss+3+4 then he counter hit me with d+3+4 before last hit of ss+3+4 landed o_O.

Some of the combos are my own and some are borrowed from other youtube videos. I might create a multi-character combo video even though it won't be even close to as good as the other ones I've seen.

Any thoughts or inputs on improving this. Obviously, I need more combos but other than that.

Nice combos!

Man, you don't have to know mods. Hit random red name on gaming side and ask for help before it's too late.

DEATH™

You should hit up Shouta as he is pretty much the FGC mod of GAF...

DEATH™;96651611 said:
Ggs to nailbox and bout...

darn nailbox... u solid... though I hate it when I can't punish Kaz df2 right... same with hei ff2... my fault...

muhnner hurry up and master lee... I need to practice the matchup...

sorry at times when I suddenly dont move... its hard to play while babysitting lol...

Our connection was a bit wonky but it was still fun.

Hei's ff2 is really hard to punish, I know, I can't punish it either. It is one of his best moves though! Lol.

Your King is really slippery and hard to catch, and I really need to watch out for that WS1 (I think?) you caught me with ALL THE TIME.

DEATH™

Hei's f.f+2 is one of the cheapest moves in the game. I hate it.

The bruce player has spoken! Kappa

But what's stupid though is Tekken team giving him db2. He doesn't even need an electric at this point, and he is still a damaging powerhouse with meaty mids...

He is pretty much what King will be if he got a fast damaging low...

Our connection was a bit wonky but it was still fun.

Hei's ff2 is really hard to punish, I know, I can't punish it either. It is one of his best moves though! Lol.

Your King is really slippery and hard to catch, and I really need to watch out for that WS1 (I think?) you caught me with ALL THE TIME.

It's FC df+2, Rib Smash, Gut Punch, or anything lol. But seriously, it needs its own name since the move is so vital, its pretty much King's DU.

That move and King's overall moveset made me really think King is waaay underrated. And the more I use AK, I tend to see that he is pretty overrated lol.

AKs low are overrated... You can break defenses with it? Lol. And his tracking is bad too. Just get out of df1 range and you can duck or SSR everythig he has...

DEATH™

But I do like King's df 1,2. I get a crack out of people not blocking it and then getting salt messages of spamming...

Also great video!!!

I wasn't talking about King df12 but yeah its so awesome. NC, delayable, uncrushable, unreversable elbow that HURTS. Viable even in oki. Its so awesome, its banned in MMA.

Pro-wrestling FTW! WOOOOO!

I really hate Miguel's shoulder tackle too. lol

DEATH™;96806726 said:
The bruce player has spoken! Kappa

But what's stupid though is Tekken team giving him db2. He doesn't even need an electric at this point, and he is still a damaging powerhouse with meaty mids...

He is pretty much what King will be if he got a fast damaging low...

It's FC df+2, Rib Smash, Gut Punch, or anything lol. But seriously, it needs its own name since the move is so vital, its pretty much King's DU.

That move and King's overall moveset made me really think King is waaay underrated. And the more I use AK, I tend to see that he is pretty overrated lol.

AKs low are overrated... You can break defenses with it? Lol. And his tracking is bad too. Just get out of df1 range and you can duck or SSR everythig he has...

Eh I think with Heihachi the db2 is the icing on the cake. Without it, he is still super powerful, but with it, he the complete arsenal of tools you would want that make him S-tier. Fast lows with mix-ups, a large array of DEVASTATING mids, good pokes and pressure, good whiff punishers, a high & mid reversal, the df 2+3 grab can lead to all sorts of trickery, useful unblockables, Raijin stance can crush some things... He was meant to play like the king of Tekken.

I think King is severely underrated as well, his style is just fucking cool to watch, but too many don't play him or just do gimmicks and chain throws.

AK is good but I feel he is lacking some versatility like you say. Famicom puts him to good use though.

Dereck

@GrayFoxPL

More Lee talk

I found out that I can wall carry with or without b+2~f,n, I can either do one b+2~f,n at the beginning or none at all. For me to wall carry, all I need to do is 1,2~f,n and then 3,4, it works every time.

I don't know how to actually fight with Lee. So far, his useful moves to me are back 1,1 or back 1,1~f.n, 2,2, df+1, and d+2. A lot of his other strings are duckable.

At the wall, after bound, what do I do? The only thing that I do that actually lands is uf+3,1.

GrayFoxPL

@GrayFoxPL

More Lee talk

I found out that I can wall carry with or without b+2~f,n, I can either do one b+2~f,n at the beginning or none at all. For me to wall carry, all I need to do is 1,2~f,n and then 3,4, it works every time.

I don't know how to actually fight with Lee. So far, his useful moves to me are back 1,1 or back 1,1~f.n, 2,2, df+1, and d+2. A lot of his other strings are duckable.

At the wall, after bound, what do I do? The only thing that I do that actually lands is uf+3,1.

Yeah, 1,2~f repeat is easiest wall carry.

How to fight with Lee. This is shit you abuse:

b+1,1,2 - this shit is duckable but not blockable. 5 people know this because guy on a stream said so. Abuse this shit. If you actually fight someone who knows this just b+1,1, 3+4 hitman stance shenanigans or b+1,1~f.n or b+1,1 uf+4 knee in the face, whatever works.

df+1 It's one of your main pokes. Crushes some highs, some jabs, but not everything. Still annoying as hell. Lee usually wins the poke wars with this. Abuse.

d+3 - One of my favorites. Mix it up close and with any mist step. Like say you go in 1,2~f,n, 1,2~f,n etc then d+3, you hit, you stay in full crouch and df+4 - another low. If ch opponent turns to the side you can risk d,df,d,df,3 the slide, third low.
Same situation, you hit with d+3, you can risk ws+2,3 or any ws move even somersault for max damage(d,u+4). You can d+3~4 for transition to hitman and annoy him. Just watch out, d+3~4 will get you fucked if blocked.
Same situation again. 1,2~f,n, , opponent is tired of your lows, so he ducks, knee him uf+4 or ,3,4 launcher, even df+1. He can be one of those: "Oh he'll not do this shit 3rd time in a row!" Oh yes you will!

Another note. Ch d+3 gives untechable knockdown. So ch d+3~4 (hitman) 4 is always guaranteed, and trust me, you'll hit ch d+3 many, many times. Big damage. d+3 range is also deceptive.

Side note, whenever you hit with hitman 4 you're in crouch, so try to do, slide df,d,df+3. People tend to stay down and get killed. Even more deadly close to wall.

What else...

Mist step - back sway (f,n,b,n) +4 - low sweep that gives combo on ch. Not much to say, it's good and one of those "forgot this exist" move.

fff+3,4 - people say it's like the best move eva, abusable and safe as shit, free bound too. I though so too until bunch of guys online showed me how linear it is. For every fff+3,4 attempt I got sidestepped easily all the way to the back and got 60-70% combo in the spine as a reward. I stopped abusing it then. If you can do it at short range, do it. Worth the risk. If mid or long rage against opponent who likes sidesteping and sidewalking -avoid.

Hitman stance 2 - I love it. May not be safe but crushes high so great it's worth it. Launches up to the moon, so don't forget to quickly run up. Try 2,1~3+4,2 and 1,2,4~3,2
You will be surprised how it catches people who want to retaliate with jabs after your string.

Hitman uf+4 - Another one of my favorites. Do it at a range, gives guard stun so opponent can't do shit. On hit it splats opponent on the ground, on ch it bounces opponent for big combo. I do it always when opponent is down at every range besides close. If they think they are safe to get up from far away, they're wrong. I abuse the hell of it, ch galore.

Hitman, 1,4 great string, and by hitting ~3 you come back to hitman stance every time.

1,2,4 - natural combo for Lee. His close punish. Hold 4 for charged max mid that guard stuns and crumple stuns on hit. You can go to hitman by ~3 but remember every hitman transition is unsafe if any pre-hitman string was blocked.

2,2,3 - Natural counter hit combo. This is the shit that turns the tide for Lee. You gotta do it. Hard to hit confirm, but not impossible. The reward is huge damage, it wall stuns and gets opponent killed. The comeback tool.

There's an online trick too. Do 4,u+3 on purpose so opponent blocks it then instantly do 2,2,3 - most people will get counter hit by 2,2,3 trying to jab punish 4, u+3. It happens because the punish window of u+3 in 4,u+3 is actually earlier then it looks from the animation, it's even harder to judge online, so people get caught in this. Be dirty and do it with their back to the wall and you have a win. Don't abuse it, kinda 1 time on a fight trick.

f+4,3 is a move you'd like to abuse. But if the second kick get's blocked you'll get launched. Then again, you can delay it and on ch it bounces and on normal it forces crouch.
Simple trick of running up to grounded opponent and f+4 delayyyyy, 3 sometimes works. Same when you throw f+4 out of range on purpose to bait opponent. (Mixed feelings, this got me killed many times)

Mist step +3,4 - I love this launcher but it's little wonky. If opponent is on the side, during air move, off axis or you try to catch him back rolling it most likely wont work properly. Last kick is a high so if first whiffs the second will do nothing and get you punished. That's why Violet's T4 style f,n,3,4 is 5 times better, both kicks are mids, way better range, consistent launching on back rollers, off axis and wake up's, etc. It's just way better move.
Edit: Sometimes it's better to do just f,n,3 instead of both kicks. In above wonky situations f,n,3 then f+4,3 may connect on eg. low floating opponent.

uf+3,1 and uf+3,4 - good moves. Not to abuse but catches opponents off guard awaiting mist steps.

ff+3, super long range, wall stuns, fast.

f+3+4 - falling leaf. I see players abuse it a lot because of guard stun it causes. Often done on grounded opponents that are getting up. I be honest and tell you I almost never use it. For me it's too slow, gives shitty damage, on grounded hit does shit all. I don't know, people say frame advantage is worth it but for me it's meh move and I hate when it comes out accidentally.

db+3 and db+3+4 - good lows for mixups. db+3+4 has quite a range but it's easy to accidentally hit d,db+3+4 that results in Blazing Kick. db+3 to be extra safe.

d,db+4 Blazing Kick - the yolo launcher. Just do it, it's amazing. I love it, especially if it comes out accidentally while inputing db+3+4 and it hits! ;)

uf+4 - The Knee. No need to explain. Nightmare for counter-happy Asukas etc.

3,3 - yet another of my favorites. Delayable, huge damage. Good round ender. 3~4 gives great hitman transition.

fc df+4 - very nice low. Not a big damage but great range and turns opponent to the side on ch allowing for slide threatening.

b+4 - watching GM this is the move you're supposed to abuse the most. But I don't know, there must be secret and precise setups, because I can't do magic with it. Generally at range you constantly sidestep and do b+4's, but yeah... Probably needs talent that I don't have.

I forgot tone of shit, but you asked about wall combo.

Usually just df3,2,3.

FightingGM does b+2~f,n,4,u+3 this is optimal, but yeah I dropped the combo so many times online :p.

You often go not for wall damage but setups.

Ss b+4, ub+3 or b+4~3, 4

df+1, f+4,3 (untechable ground splat), d+3 and mixups from d+3

I'll give you all hitman transitions:

2,1~3+4

1,2,4~3

df+4,3

ws+4,3

b+2,4,3+4

b+1,1~3+4

d,uf+4~3

b+4,3

3~4

b+3~4

fc df+4~3

d+3~4

ss+3+4 (3_4) depending on the side

f+1+2,3,4

u,ub+3+4

Hitman 1,4~3

These are all I think. Have fun.

Edited, added moves.

Manbig

Don't forget the just frame version of that Lee punch string. I think it's b1, 1 : 2? This is pretty much one of his best wall splat options on a whiff punish and most people don't know how to deal with the string in general. I know GM uses this shit all the damn time.

GrayFoxPL

Don't forget the just frame version of that Lee punch string. I think it's b1, 1 : 2? This is pretty much one of his best wall splat options on a whiff punish and most people don't know how to deal with the string in general. I know GM uses this shit all the damn time.

Yeah, just frame version always comes out for me, must be easy jf timing. Like above, this is duckable, but few people know it. Natural counter hit combo. Solid move.

Wow, nice write-up GrayFox. Might chuck it up on Lee's page on TZ Wiki (just in case someone might actually read the thing.)

Also I believe you can give the backsway 4 (the low CH launcher) more utility by hiding the backsway after moves that go into mist step. The move I see Lee players using to get into it the most is just basic 1,2 jabs.

So it would be 1,2~f,n,b,4. The faster you input the 4 and the less the opponent sees you backswaying the better. If they start catching onto it though and eat the low to much, you can do the jabs into say hopkick or uf+3,1.

GrayFoxPL

Wow, nice write-up GrayFox. Might chuck it up on Lee's page on TZ Wiki (just in case someone might actually read the thing.)

Also I believe you can give the backsway 4 (the low CH launcher) more utility by hiding the backsway after moves that go into mist step. The move I see Lee players using to get into it the most is just basic 1,2 jabs.

So it would be 1,2~f,n,b,4. The faster you input the 4 and the less the opponent sees you backswaying the better. If they start catching onto it though and eat the low to much, you can do the jabs into say hopkick or uf+3,1.

Yeah the backsway is cancelable at first frame I think. The faster the better.

Manbig

That's the thing I find really interesting about Lee. He has some unique movement options and sway cancels that can make him incredibly annoying to deal with because depending on your character, you have to change up your timing a lot to catch him.

GrayFoxPL

That's the thing I find really interesting about Lee. He has some unique movement options and sway cancels that can make him incredibly annoying to deal with because depending on your character, you have to change up your timing a lot to catch him.

Yeah its a very unique character with kinda "free flow" playstyle and probably the one that evolved the most from Tekken 5 to 6.

I hope he'll not be dropped from future games. ><

Xevren

You say on there that you'll get launched on a blocked f4,3. Is that right? Could have sworn it was safe.

Only thing I'd add (unless I missed it) is the godly f2,1. Easy hit confirm, great damage. Been playing Lee/Jaycee for the last week or so, Lee is so damn fun. At the wall he does so much silly damage on point.

One of these days I hope to get more reliable internet to play people on here.

GrayFoxPL

You say on there that you'll get launched on a blocked f4,3. Is that right? Could have sworn it was safe.

Only thing I'd add (unless I missed it) is the godly f2,1. Easy hit confirm, great damage. Been playing Lee/Jaycee for the last week or so, Lee is so damn fun. At the wall he does so much silly damage on point.

One of these days I hope to get more reliable internet to play people on here.

Nah, not safe at all.

Yeah f+2,1 is pretty cool too. Though if you got in f+2,1 you could get uf+4 :). I didn't cover all the moves, too many, crappy memory.

AAK

I play none of those characters except Julia.... and her options for juggles outside the wall are honestly not very creative :( But still I love those vids! good job on them :) Will you be going to Apex next week?

Offline it's a damn good move.... but online that move is indeed broken lol. In practice mode Julia's d+1+2 and Hwoarang's b+3 can punish it... but only if it's blocked deep. If it's a shallow hit it's super hard to punish... so I don't even bother trying. One of the big reasons I've started playing Leo more and more, her f+1+2 is amazing for punishing moves like f,f+2 & deathfist.

Also, Manny is right, Lee's f+4,3 is -8 on block, and I believe if the f+4 whiffs and the 3 lands shallow it's -6. That move torments me haha. But regardless, excellent writeup GrayFox!

Manbig

If you think f4,3 is that bad, you should be thankful you didn't have to deal with DR Lee's b4. It launched crouchers. It was pretty much one of the most spammable moves in the game.

GrayFoxPL

Lee's f4,3 is very much safe. Also, b1,1:2 is NC not NCc. It's also not unblockable, but the last hit is high.

This is true. Somehow I left Lee neutral couple times after f+4,3 then generic df+2 will launch. I don't know, brain dead, no excuse.

JF is indeed nc. I was positive it was since forever, then lately I watch tournament with GM and commentator says this is not nc anymore - "just hold down". I watch GM refraining from doing it and think "Shiet, must be true..." I was 100% sure they were talking about jf because no one uses regular since it is so easy, right?
Worst thing I started not using it having in the back of the head "not nc shieet!".
Now I'm pissed off.

So, sorry guys for this bullshit. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, so stupid.

Sayah

I play none of those characters except Julia.... and her options for juggles outside the wall are honestly not very creative :( But still I love those vids! good job on them :) Will you be going to Apex next week?

I would have if they hadn't changed the venue this year. :/
Rutgers University was a lot more convenient. Train went directly there. I try to avoid car driving when I don't know where I'm going. Even when I have GPS. Frustrates me.

I'll try still but I can't be sure.

And yeah, that was just a test video. The video quality turns to shit on youtube. Will have to record through HDMI instead of component next time.

This is true. Somehow I left Lee neutral couple times after f+4,3 then generic df+2 will launch. I don't know, brain dead, no excuse.

JF is indeed nc. I was positive it was since forever, then lately I watch tournament with GM and commentator says this is not nc anymore - "just hold down". I watch GM refraining from doing it and think "Shiet, must be true..." I was 100% sure they were talking about jf because no one uses regular since it is so easy, right?
Worst thing I started not using it having in the back of the head "not nc shieet!".
Now I'm pissed off.

So, sorry guys for this bullshit. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, so stupid.

Only human.
Don't worry about it. :p

I don't even pay attention to frames. Probably would be a better player if I did.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just got this game, learning King and MarDOOK. This counts for nothing, but my king in sfxt was among the best imo.

I am dedicated to actually learning how to play this game at a respectable level, even if no one else plays it.

Just got this game, learning King and MarDOOK. This counts for nothing, but my king in sfxt was among the best imo.

I am dedicated to actually learning how to play this game at a respectable level, even if no one else plays it.

It ain't a Capcom game, but there are enough players to sustain a bunch of communities throughout the country as well as online, GAF included. Welcome.

AAK

Rutgers University was a lot more convenient. Train went directly there. I try to avoid car driving when I don't know where I'm going. Even when I have GPS. Frustrates me.

Boo... oh well, please do let us know if you make it :) Stay safe though. Hope school and work is going well.

Howdy! If you are on PSN and in at least the eastern half on North America we can have some decent games. I wouldn't mind doing some online practice mode sessions either. I have a mic as well now so let me know if you'd like that :)

Xevren

Finally able to do the korean backdashes pretty reliably in matches now, which feels fantastic. I do have a noobie question though since I can't seem to find the answer though. At high level play I see what looks like rapid side steps and I have no idea how they're doing it, I know how to sidestep/walk but the way they do it it's like they cancel it and are able to just keep on going really quickly. So how does one do that?

Finally able to do the korean backdashes pretty reliably in matches now, which feels fantastic. I do have a noobie question though since I can't seem to find the answer though. At high level play I see what looks like rapid side steps and I have no idea how they're doing it, I know how to sidestep/walk but the way they do it it's like they cancel it and are able to just keep on going really quickly. So how does one do that?

I was actually just messing around with that today by sliding between back and down. From what I've heard it isn't a good movement tool, just for flashiness/scare tactics. It was more effective in older Tekkens apparently.

DEATH™

Welcome man... just in time as I am doing my Kings guide again.

I haven't played SFxT really well to be able to help you "bridge the gap" but in my experience, I'll prefer to start on another game with a clean state of mind, and add those things that I learned on other games later when I grasped the fundamentals.

If you got questions, just ask around man...

electric sidesteps are d~n~b,db,d~b,db,d~... (kinda like reverse quarter circle back).

Just like famicom said, it was effective before, but now you can easily go around opponents by just doing regular sidewalks now. Just being aware of little things like those make the game way easier and manageable, so don't sweat it out.

GrayFoxPL

I'll try still but I can't be sure.

And yeah, that was just a test video. The video quality turns to shit on youtube. Will have to record through HDMI instead of component next time.

Only human.
Don't worry about it. :p

I don't even pay attention to frames. Probably would be a better player if I did.

Thanks.

I think my heart is failing. I'm beating this guy online 2-0 in rounds and on round 3 I'm starting to feel woozy. The tv screen zoomed to my eyes and I'm watching player killing me but brain doesn't react. I eventually beat the guy with pretty good juggle but it was literally muscle memory, a pattern or two my fingers just rolled on the pad while brain didn't know what was happening. Turned the console off after that. This was a warning.

I have a low heart rate like 38-44. But when getting excited especially playing Tekken online then it easily rises to 90. Not any more, after this session it was only 48. I usually have strong blood pressure, but today it's weak. I'm afraid my heart is getting too weak to pump blood to the brain. I have a muscle dystrophy after all, my muscles were dying from birth, I didn't set foot on the ground for like 21 years. Funny, I think playing Tekken for 17 years is what kept me from total muscle annihilation (Electric in yo face!).
Late last night I felt something I never felt before. Can't even explain it properly. Something shook me, like for 2 seconds my heart and brain went off, then it shook me back to life and felt like electricity or needles went right through my whole right hand.

It's funny. I literally live from Tekken to Tekken. When first glimpse of news of next game in the series arrive I pray: "Please let me live long enough to see it!" then when I saw it "Please let me survive long enough to play it a little!" It run like that through Tekken 6, SFXT(Hey it has Kazuya in it, ok?;) and TTT2. Before T6, like everyone, I though I was immortal. But I think my luck is finally running out. I'm not dying just yet, but my chances to see TxSF or T7 are getting slim.
In 2010 my lungs broke down and I ended in hospital for 6 weeks, that time was hell, so much I always take psychotropic drug in the night just to let me forget what I saw, heard and felt there. If you remember begging your dad to kill you, you know it's bad. Since then I machine breaths for me. 2010-2014, wow it went by so fast. I'll be honest I didn't think I'll live until 2014 after that traumatic experience. Sometimes a voice in my head tells me "You should've died in 2010." Because, you know, my existence since then is cheating death and you can't cheat death forever.

Unless you're a Mishima. :D

Why I'm writing all this? Well, I knew I had to someday and I don't want to wait until it's too late - a time when I would want to say something but couldn't anymore. After today's warning and night's event I thought this is right enough day.

I hate melodrama so don't take it like that. I was raised on Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Van Damme, Bruce Willis and TEKKEN - I take no shit ;).

I still feel strong enough, so don't scream: "He's dying!" or you get Kaz's ws+2 in the gut. ;) I will play Tekken tomorrow and a day after that, and day later.

GAF is my second home and second family. This thread - among Tekken players, is my favorite place in it and I appreciate everyone for being here and making GAF for what it is - a home.

In other news I'm playing Raven + Violet now because... Vampire Kneeeee all day! and Excellent! :D

GrayFoxPL

GrayFox, how do I do that combo out of 1+2ch?

You must dash out of crouch and cancel it in first few frames with df+4 then f+4,3.
At least I think it's how it is done. I did it once in training mode and said "fuck that shit". Way too much trouble for me.Lol.

Xevren

DEATH™;97055672 said:
Welcome man... just in time as I am doing my Kings guide again.

I haven't played SFxT really well to be able to help you "bridge the gap" but in my experience, I'll prefer to start on another game with a clean state of mind, and add those things that I learned on other games later when I grasped the fundamentals.

If you got questions, just ask around man...

electric sidesteps are d~n~b,db,d~b,db,d~... (kinda like reverse quarter circle back).

Just like famicom said, it was effective before, but now you can easily go around opponents by just doing regular sidewalks now. Just being aware of little things like those make the game way easier and manageable, so don't sweat it out.

Ah alright, cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Doomshine

I had no idea about your situation GrayFox but something I've learned these last couple of years is that it's best to talk about your problems rather than keep them to yourself. You're a badass motherfucker though and I expect you'll live a long time dude.

Stay strong man and I hope to play you in Tag 2 soon. I've been feeling inspired lately and experimenting with new Raven teams and I think I've settled on Raven/Miguel. Wall combos can be a bit finicky but I like the overall flow of the combos.

GrayFoxPL

I had no idea about your situation GrayFox but something I've learned these last couple of years is that it's best to talk about your problems rather than keep them to yourself. You're a badass motherfucker though and I expect you'll live a long time dude.

Stay strong man and I hope to play you in Tag 2 soon. I've been feeling inspired lately and experimenting with new Raven teams and I think I've settled on Raven/Miguel. Wall combos can be a bit finicky but I like the overall flow of the combos.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. You're the best Tekken player I know.

Yeah, Raven is amazing in team combos. Those wall carries with Lee/Violet are insane.

What I miss with him is some kind of long range bound. You always must be close to bound. Well, 3+4,4 is a long range bound but I'm thinking of something faster. If uf+3 would bound I'd be happy. In combo like df+2, b+2,3, ff+3 I can't find a way to bound. I have to df+2, 3+4, ff+3 and then I can bound with b+1 or others.
Btw. what is the best wall filler and wall ender with Raven? I fill with b+2,2,3 or b+2,2,1+2 or b+1+2 and extensions but can't find good ender that's not techable.

weepy

Can anyone give me a few pointers on how to improve on my defense in this game? It's funny, but my throw breaking has improved but as far as everything else goes...well, let me give you an example:

Yesterday I had a fairly shitty day, losing 3 in a row to solid to decent players and I was up against a Grand Master Law/Paul who I should have taken easily but it dragged on 'til the final round. I'm use to fighting ppl who play conservatively, piecemeal if you will, try to space out etc. but this guy was just throwing moves out, safe or otherwise and I'd get caught. Whether it's lag or input error I kept getting hit by bullshit I know I could defend against or even punish.
Long story short, last round the guy spammed Law's Dragon Tail sweep and I ended up losing my fourth match and damn near broke my controller. So I'm seeking help or at least seeking guidance to better my d-game.

Can anyone give me a few pointers on how to improve on my defense in this game? It's funny, but my throw breaking has improved but as far as everything else goes...well, let me give you an example:

Yesterday I had a fairly shitty day, losing 3 in a row to solid to decent players and I was up against a Grand Master Law/Paul who I should have taken easily but it dragged on 'til the final round. I'm use to fighting ppl who play conservatively, piecemeal if you will, try to space out etc. but this guy was just throwing moves out, safe or otherwise and I'd get caught. Whether it's lag or input error I kept getting hit by bullshit I know I could defend against or even punish.
Long story short, last round the guy spammed Law's Dragon Tail sweep and I ended up losing my fourth match and damn near broke my controller. So I'm seeking help or at least seeking guidance to better my d-game.

Games like this will happen. It usually means you took the opponent's crappiness for granted and ran into their attacks mindlessly, and by the time you were ready to play it was all over.

When you get that feeling of "why did I get hit by that???" you either got clipped while backdashing or counterhit. When in close proximity of the opponent, take extra care when you're moving around. Triple tapping back will cause you to do an unsafe backdash and will cause you to get hit when you feel like you're blocking. Two taps and hold for safe backdashing. Backdash cancel only if you're confident in your ability to do it safely.

When you're spacing them out and they are constantly whiffing moves, pay closer attention to what they're whiffing. Many times they will throw out something that looks like you can run up and punish it, only for them to recover and hit you with a hopkick or something. You can bait this activity out by dash guarding (dashing up then blocking), but it's kinda difficult to do online. Regardless, if they are truly crappy then you don't have to bait anything; just wait for them to whiff something REALLY huge and kill them.

After that, it's a matter of clutch blocking and punishment. You mentioned getting hit with a Dragon Tail, yep that super sucks but it's considered a seeable low and thus you gotta practice blocking that thing on reaction and punishing it properly. It should encourage them to be more careful (it won't). Watch your replay and check for other things too. If there were any strings with lows that you could've low parried or highs that you can duck and punish. Stuff you blocked and missed punishes for. All those things add up in beating the opponent quicker and more efficient.

GrayFoxPL

That's a nice writeup Famicom.
Yeasterday I had that day when I was getting hit by everything. When I realised that is because impatiently tapping back, back, back I lost bunch of fights. So yeah, keeping composure is one of the keys.

Top Bottom