• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

AAK, how long did your conversion from dualshock to stick take?

Trying to learn it now and failing miserably at it, lol. I saw tutorials and was floored by how fast they were doing wavedashing. I would get carpal tunnel at that speed.

Yo sup! It took me a while!

First thing, was to change from playing regular controller style to claw style. I just had to get used to not using my thumbs for one hand and get slightly accustomed to it. That way when learning stick I could 100% focus on what my left hand was doing vs my right hand.

Second, I wasted a lot of time just fiddling and not playing smart. What I SHOULD have been doing (which is what I do now) is analyzing why my inputs would come out wrong. For example, if I'm trying to do d/f+4 with some character like say Julia. If I accidentally get f+4, that means I'm not lowering my fingers enough for the gate to recognize a down motion. If I get a d+4, then I'm not having my phallanges push or pull to the horizontal ends enough for the gate to click.

But overall Sayah, I think you are an exceptionally talented individual when it comes to gaming. Every new game you pick up you always do significantly above average from all the games we played whether it be SFxT, Virtua Fighter, or recently SF4. In your case, just try and play your regular game and let your natural talent guide you through. I mean, it's kind of like back in Tekken 6 during Aris's EWGFriday streams. There was that one day when former EVO T5DR champ Arario who long retired was visiting the arcade. Everybody persuaded him to enter the tournament despite him being a pad player and only previously played T6 a handful of times. He still won the tournament just with fundamentals, it was pretty crazy to see. I'm sure you can pull through in the same fashion :).

But yeah... do take it slow. When I was learning stick I was actually playing Raven who didn't have any meticulous wavedashes. Only moved to the more demanding characters like Hwoa, Kazuya, and DJin and such after familiarizing myself enough with the stick.

Proud of myself. When I first started playing this it was impossible for me to do wind roll combo's with Jaycee, now it's easy as hell. Feels good man.

Tekken has by far the most generous input leniency. That makes the windroll combo's pretty easy to do. Glad you're enjoying the character!

DEATH™

AAK, how long did your conversion from dualshock to stick take?

Trying to learn it now and failing miserably at it, lol. I saw tutorials and was floored by how fast they were doing wavedashing. I would get carpal tunnel at that speed.

I'm not AAK but here's some tips...

1. Always be wary of ergonomics. Find the perfect position on your left hand where you can do each directions comfortably and without hurting. Your goal is to put you hands in a position where you will use less of your wrists.

2. Always remember that left hand position and put your hand there everytime. Changing your hand position is detrimental to your progress, since your goal is for your hands to remember the movements you do, but if you change your position everytime, you are just confusing your hands...

3. Keep at it!

Remember, play smart!

AAK

Oh yeah, and you asked about how long it took.... hmmm, well It was definitely a gradual process. It took me around 6 months while playing like an idiot flailing about. But I think it's definitely possible to get good within 2 months while playing smart.

catmincer

I was doing well online until I came across my dreaded Eddy/Christie combo. I don't think anything in Tekken makes me as angry at those two. I have no fricking idea what to do against them. :(

Sayah

DEATH™;94370770 said:
I'm not AAK but here's some tips...

1. Always be wary of ergonomics. Find the perfect position on your left hand where you can do each directions comfortably and without hurting. Your goal is to put you hands in a position where you will use less of your wrists.

2. Always remember that left hand position and put your hand there everytime. Changing your hand position is detrimental to your progress, since your goal is for your hands to remember the movements you do, but if you change your position everytime, you are just confusing your hands...

3. Keep at it!

Remember, play smart!

Yo sup! It took me a while!

First thing, was to change from playing regular controller style to claw style. I just had to get used to not using my thumbs for one hand and get slightly accustomed to it. That way when learning stick I could 100% focus on what my left hand was doing vs my right hand.

Second, I wasted a lot of time just fiddling and not playing smart. What I SHOULD have been doing (which is what I do now) is analyzing why my inputs would come out wrong. For example, if I'm trying to do d/f+4 with some character like say Julia. If I accidentally get f+4, that means I'm not lowering my fingers enough for the gate to recognize a down motion. If I get a d+4, then I'm not having my phallanges push or pull to the horizontal ends enough for the gate to click.

But overall Sayah, I think you are an exceptionally talented individual when it comes to gaming. Every new game you pick up you always do significantly above average from all the games we played whether it be SFxT, Virtua Fighter, or recently SF4. In your case, just try and play your regular game and let your natural talent guide you through. I mean, it's kind of like back in Tekken 6 during Aris's EWGFriday streams. There was that one day when former EVO T5DR champ Arario who long retired was visiting the arcade. Everybody persuaded him to enter the tournament despite him being a pad player and only previously played T6 a handful of times. He still won the tournament just with fundamentals, it was pretty crazy to see. I'm sure you can pull through in the same fashion :).

But yeah... do take it slow. When I was learning stick I was actually playing Raven who didn't have any meticulous wavedashes. Only moved to the more demanding characters like Hwoa, Kazuya, and DJin and such after familiarizing myself enough with the stick.

Awesome. Thanks for all the input. Right now, I'm just garbage with stick but hopefully the improvements are seen sooner rather than later.

Xevren

Never had a chance to really play online due to work, but finally home so was able to get into it. Damn the netcode is amazing. Playing as Jaycee / Ganryu and doing ok. My Jaycee is pretty fraudulent though.

Dereck

Damn it Sayah, do you know why I bother you so much? Because you're good, I like to play against good players, so when you put in Tekken Tag 2, but you're away for 7 hours, it makes me want to ws+2 your Anna/Nina team all day. Stop putting Tekken Tag 2 if you aren't actually playing the game.

ipQeEMSIDwMeQ.gif
ipQeEMSIDwMeQ.gif
ipQeEMSIDwMeQ.gif

If you thought TTT2 got no love look at VF5, thing is at rock bottom over there.

Then again, I don't really know that many people that 1.) know eventhubs 2.) disable adblocks or use workarounds to actually read it 3.) have an eventhubs account so I guess it doesn't really account for most of the community.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone by the way! I see that Namco has started plastering that Tekken 20th Anniversary logo around several official tekken websites so next year should have some great things in store. :)

Sayah

If you thought TTT2 got no love look at VF5, thing is at rock bottom over there.

Then again, I don't really know that many people that 1.) know eventhubs 2.) disable adblocks or use workarounds to actually read it 3.) have an eventhubs account so I guess it doesn't really account for most of the community.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone by the way! I see that Namco has started plastering that Tekken 20th Anniversary logo around several official tekken websites so next year should have some great things in store. :)

Those wings ruin the whole logo. :/

To celebrate the anniversary, I have the very unrealistic expectations for getting the following:

TTT2 (on PC and Vita)
TKXSF reveal and release in 2014 (no arcade version so this is still realistic)
Tekken HD collection
Tekken 7 Teaser

I WILL BUY IT ALL.

DEATH™

Since Markman said it wasn't official, people didn't bother voting, especially since most people got a vendetta against eventhubs...

AAK

The poll was pinned on Kor's Tekken Academy which has thousands of members... so it was marketed to a lot of people. But still, a game with such a rich competitive history as Tekken in America has fallen beyond belief. 6 years ago if you told somebody that anime games or Mortal Kombat games in the future would have nearly double the popularity as Tekken they'd think you were insane and laugh at you! Eventhubs aside, there is NEC participation. TTT2 had the lowest turnout after DOA5, so that is the state of Tekken here in North America. :(

Smash wiiU is gonna come out probably between summer to holiday 2014. So once that's done then the Tekken team can finally begin full production on TxSF. So sometime late 2014 to E32015 we'll see a trailer. I personally think the game might come out in 2016. I think there is still a long time before its release. I'm also sure they must've reconsidered their no arcades plans. There's a lot of money they'll be missing out on if they do so.

Oh well, I'm not mad, I'm just gonna keep playing TTT2 until I die :p For now, I'm finally gonna take the big hurdle and learn the Lei matchup. I'm tired of just playing them like a Capo, they can't just be walking 50/50's... there has to be a way to option select the stuff people do with him online.

And yes, happy holidays all :)

Dereck

Bout, why are you not on my friends list anymoar?

Merry Christmas everyone!
I was going to make a new PSN account for PS4 and Vita, and then move all of my friends over. I deleted all of my friends on my old account, and then decided that I didn't want to do it anymore.

AAK

Damn MarkMan coming into the house all like:

tumblr_mxq08gKXKu1rw2p53o2_250.gif
tumblr_mxq08gKXKu1rw2p53o1_250.gif

Also, damn knowing this Lei matchup is going to take a while. The number one problem.... that tiger stance.... and he has so many ways of getting into that stance. Gonna need an extremely vigilant mind to fight that stuff.

Also, looks like Fab is replacing Anakin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewbl8-563EY

Bulzeeb

so, how is this game for a total newby of figthing games as in I haven't played many figthing games besides sf2 and smash bros? because I might buy this game next month if amazon keeps offering for 16 or less

AAK

so, how is this game for a total newby of figthing games as in I haven't played many figthing games besides sf2 and smash bros? because I might buy this game next month if amazon keeps offering for 16 or less

Well, it is a deep fighting game, but you can still enjoy it a lot casually if you want. The controls are really intuitive where each button corresponds to a limb. So you can feel some sort of "control" in that sense. As far as online goes... it's just like any game online, it's a bloodbath, but the netcode is the best I've ever seen after Skullgirls. If you have any specific question feel free to ask. In the end though, Tekken as a game probably has the most variables out of any other fighting game out there. Watch some videos and ask yourself if you think it'll be pleasing to do what you see on the screen. If the answer is yes go for it :)

Sweet, hopefully it all works out and keeps going. I liked it with Anakin but it just...stopped.

From Anakin's last post on Kor's Tekken Academy he said that he felt playing Tekken was detrimental for other ambitions in his life and called it quits. He even deleted himself from the academy. I think he's gone for good. :(

BTW welcome to the room of death boutdown... these guys are executioners. I haven't even gotten a single game on them.

Bulzeeb

Well, it is a deep fighting game, but you can still enjoy it a lot casually if you want. The controls are really intuitive where each button corresponds to a limb. So you can feel some sort of "control" in that sense. As far as online goes... it's just like any game online, it's a bloodbath, but the netcode is the best I've ever seen after Skullgirls. If you have any specific question feel free to ask. In the end though, Tekken as a game probably has the most variables out of any other fighting game out there. Watch some videos and ask yourself if you think it'll be pleasing to do what you see on the screen. If the answer is yes go for it :)

thanks, I saw some videos last night and the game looks a bit complex so where should I go if I want to view and learn the basics of this game?

AAK

Remember that you don't have to jump straight into Tag mode and learn 2 characters. You can definitely start with solo mode and learn how to play the game with one character first. And as for resources....

First and foremost there is the Tekken Zaibatsu wiki which Death helped write. I wrote a beginner's guide here. There is also the LYUG tutorials. Aris does a TON of tutorial videos but you do kinda have to rummage through his channel. And there is always Kor's Tekken Academy and Tekken Zaibatsu for other information. Hope you

Sayah

How hard the game is can vary depending on which character you pick up. I would begin with one of the easier characters to learn the fundamentals before picking up someone that takes a long time to master.

If you want depth and creativity, then yes, buy it.

Game is probably my all-time favorite this gen.

AZUMIKE

Where do you guys think Harada (under Namco Bandai) will take Tekken? Right now, I can really appreciate Tekken Revolution. I think it's a great F2P model.

As for the future, it seems that T x SF will come before a "Tekken 7". I'm wondering though, what kind of changes will Tekken see? I think Eliza hints at some ideas for T x SF, with her projectiles and such. But, what about Tekken 7? Wonder what they're thinking...

EDIT P.S: TTT2 is an amazingly well made game. Minus the unnecessary scantily clad character avatars. There's a time for everything Namco Bandai. And there are ways to skillfully implement those things. And Snopp Dogg? What?

But alas, TTT2 is a phenomenon of a game!

Sayah

Where do you guys think Harada (under Namco Bandai) will take Tekken? Right now, I can really appreciate Tekken Revolution. I think it's a great F2P model.

As for the future, it seems that T x SF will come before a "Tekken 7". I'm wondering though, what kind of changes will Tekken see? I think Eliza hints at some ideas for T x SF, with her projectiles and such. But, what about Tekken 7? Wonder what they're thinking...

EDIT P.S: TTT2 is an amazingly well made game. Minus the unnecessary scantily clad character avatars. There's a time for everything Namco Bandai. And there are ways to skillfully implement those things. And Snopp Dogg? What?

But alas, TTT2 is a phenomenon of a game!

Despite the bad console sales, I think Namco will regardless have to focus on making sure Tekken 7 is up to standards and not just a drop in quality as far as technicality and depth goes. The majority of their profit, I would think, still comes from arcades and appeasing that fanbase is more important for them than anything else. So the core gameplay will (hopefully should) remain deep, creative, and entertaining.

However, how hard they work on making the console port from arcades will be where I expect a drop.

I clearly remember nobody expected the TTT2 console version to have the content it ended up having, especially after the egregious precedents set by Capcom. Nobody expected Michelle, Kunimitsu, Angel, Dr. B, or any of the console-exclusive characters. They were all a dream. But it happened. Yet the reaction based on this content was very meh from reviewers and consumers alike......console sales were the lowest they had ever been for the franchise.

Snoop Dogg was just a waste of marketing money and development time.

It's my favorite franchise so I hope it has bountiful success in the future and goes in the right direction. I would hate to be one of those fans that once loved the series but now hates it because it turned to shit. Resident Evil would be a good example of this.

Then again, I will always have TTT2 to play if that does end up happening because it definitely is one of the most phenomenal games released.........ever. Really a great culmination of the entire franchise's history. I hope the online servers never die.

Manbig

From Anakin's last post on Kor's Tekken Academy he said that he felt playing Tekken was detrimental for other ambitions in his life and called it quits. He even deleted himself from the academy. I think he's gone for good. :(

BTW welcome to the room of death boutdown... these guys are executioners. I haven't even gotten a single game on them.

Honestly, Anakin has his priorities straight. It takes way too much time to stay competitive at this game and with the dwindling tournament numbers, it doesn't pay to stay on top at Tekken.

I'm not gonna name specific people here, but one of the best players in America is still forced to live in public housing with his family. That really says it all right there.

Sayah

Honestly, Anakin has his priorities straight. It takes way too much time to stay competitive at this game and with the dwindling tournament numbers, it doesn't pay to stay on top at Tekken.

I'm not gonna name specific people here, but one of the best players in America is still forced to live in public housing with his family. That really says it all right there.

Life should always be a priority over video games. I don't care if it's Tekken or any other game. Some people are able to balance a sustainable living and still remain active in the tourney scene, which is nice.

Manbig

DEATH™;94202278 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h83qxMjC58E

A must watch...

1:10 to 2:10 made me laugh yet made me furious at the same time...

This video is hilarious and everyone here should watch it. Thanks for sharing, Death.

I started researching this stuff a while back (with the assistance of AAK), but I get so bored with practice mode that I just stopped. It's nice to see that I was on the right track though because a lot of the punishment examples in this video was stuff that I was coming up with.

The more I learned about how to punish these characters though, the more I hated their design. I don't mind having a character that requires unique options to punish them, but I DO mind it when there's super frame specific stuff that allows almost all of their high reward stuff go unpunished when you miss your timing by even a tiny bit. It's compounded by the part where slightly messing up your timing leads to you getting launched for high damage most of the time. Finally, add the part where attempting to play vs these characters online with ANY sort of lag will lead to you missing that timing more than you would like, and you have a recipe for RRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

GrayFoxPL

Late Happy Holidays Tekken Dudes!

Fought a dude who used devil & angel and his fighting plan was u+4, u, f4,3, u and 3+4. He basically was in the flying stance 99% of time. Lols. He maurudered them too with this.

I'm playing retarded team of Baek&Jin right now. They have the shittiest synergy ever. I'm talking like 80-86 dmg tag combos here. When I learn to wall carry across the stage with Baek it'll be better, but right now the bare bones damage is laughable.
But I'm doing with them a lot better(Baek is "Fighter" after few fights and got 14win streak with them) then with eg Hei-Bryan where tag combos exceeded 110 easily. I guess you gotta go with characters you know and fuck synergy.

Go Team No-Synergy! XD

Kinda like this encounter:

idYqC4xEyPZRH.gif

Ghahah.

No, really.

Really.

I am starting to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with improving as my focus. Before, my team was Jin and Hwoarang, and now it is Jin and Devil Jin. Does anyone know any top players who use the same team I do?

sasuke_91

I play 3 teams:
Hwoarang + Steve
Xiaoyu + Lee
Jin + Eddy (yeah, you're allowed to hate me for this)

but I don't know ANY Tag-Combo. The best solo-Combo I can do is ~80 damage with Jin. I don't even know if my teams fit in any way, let alone talking about their "synergy".
I can't decide for one team, so I play all three of them. I'm not entirely BAD... I think (o_O)
Any tips? Should I arrange those teams in another way? Maybe Hwoarang + Jin?

I am starting to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with improving as my focus. Before, my team was Jin and Hwoarang, and now it is Jin and Devil Jin. Does anyone know any top players who use the same team I do?

I can't think of any top players who use double Jins. Most top players use Devil Jin with Heihachi or Kazuya... And the best Jin player (Hao) pairs him up with Feng.

What made you choose Devil Jin over Hwoarang?

EDIT:
Maybe Hwoarang + Jin?
Hwoarang + Jin would be a very good pressure and poking team, actually!

Am I JDCR yet? LOL

I still haven't fully figured AK out. I don't know how to pressure well or do punishers with him.

Yeah, AK takes some getting used to. His space control tools work better as whiff punishers than pressure tools, so you have to fight a bit closer and generate whiffs. I'd suggest staying in close around d/f+1 range and applying poke pressure.

I play 3 teams:
Hwoarang + Steve
Xiaoyu + Lee

but I don't know ANY Tag-Combo. The best solo-Combo I can do is ~80 damage with Jin. I don't even know if my teams fit in any way, let alone talking about their "synergy".
I can't decide for one team, so I play all three of them. I'm not entirely BAD... I think (o_O)

I look at your characters and see teams that will have you working extremely hard to get good combo damage. Mostly high execution stuff. Some won't get it regardless (hello Jin and Xiaoyu). I don't know much about them personally, but maybe a different combination can yield more obvious results? You can also check out Hurtbox's channel for combo ideas. Beyond that, I wouldn't really worry about combo damage too much, as all of those characters are pretty strong outside of combos. If you just need combo damage badly, consider adding a Bruce or a Lars to your team for easy mode damage.

GrayFoxPL

I play 3 teams:
Hwoarang + Steve
Xiaoyu + Lee

Teams, if they work for you, then they work, no sweat.

If you're on PS3, we can spar sometimes.

I use multiple characters, because I like most of them, and get bored if I use the same too long.

Top Bottom