• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

weepy

Games like this will happen. It usually means you took the opponent's crappiness for granted and ran into their attacks mindlessly, and by the time you were ready to play it was all over.

When you get that feeling of "why did I get hit by that???" you either got clipped while backdashing or counterhit. When in close proximity of the opponent, take extra care when you're moving around. Triple tapping back will cause you to do an unsafe backdash and will cause you to get hit when you feel like you're blocking. Two taps and hold for safe backdashing. Backdash cancel only if you're confident in your ability to do it safely.

When you're spacing them out and they are constantly whiffing moves, pay closer attention to what they're whiffing. Many times they will throw out something that looks like you can run up and punish it, only for them to recover and hit you with a hopkick or something. You can bait this activity out by dash guarding (dashing up then blocking), but it's kinda difficult to do online. Regardless, if they are truly crappy then you don't have to bait anything; just wait for them to whiff something REALLY huge and kill them.

After that, it's a matter of clutch blocking and punishment. You mentioned getting hit with a Dragon Tail, yep that super sucks but it's considered a seeable low and thus you gotta practice blocking that thing on reaction and punishing it properly. It should encourage them to be more careful (it won't). Watch your replay and check for other things too. If there were any strings with lows that you could've low parried or highs that you can duck and punish. Stuff you blocked and missed punishes for. All those things add up in beating the opponent quicker and more efficient.

Good advice, man. Thanks. Oh, I know how to sniff Dragon Tails out but I consistently keep either (a) punishing it wrong or (b) getting hit by it because I treat it like every other low and try to parry it (online none the less...). Same with Bryan's Snake Edge.

Manbig

Man I'm playing like shit lately. Lows that I used to be able to see easily are catching me all the time now. I feel like I should practice, but every time I try, I get bored within 10 minutes and move on to something else. Ah well.

GrayFoxPL

Dudes hate mail me often with "Can't believe I lost to a noob like you"

I must remember: spamming 10 strings when you're losing = pro play.

I hope 10 strings will be gone in next Tekken, so those trolls would actually learn to play.

10 strings are awful, no one will learn how to block all 120 or whatever tenstrings in the game. I just crouch 1 whenever I recognize high in a string but sometimes I get hit by weird 10-strings.

Xevren

I hope 10 strings will be gone in next Tekken, so those trolls would actually learn to play.

10 strings are awful, no one will learn how to block all 120 or whatever tenstrings in the game. I just crouch 1 whenever I recognize high in a string but sometimes I get hit by weird 10-strings.

As someone who just started recently, I fucking hate 10 strings. It's hard enough trying to remember what I can punish as is with 60 some odd characters but having to remember those is just incredibly annoying.

sasuke_91

10-strings are annoying. I can block a few of them (from the characters I play or have played in Tekken 3-6), but I still fuck up sometimes (especially Online) trying to punish them. Which is why I don't try punishing them anymore.
Blocking is hard enough. People spamming the shit out of their characters are annoying. One mistake and they send you flying, using that one combo they learned to fuck you up.

By the way, your post earlier killed me. Especially the thing with your father in the hospital. Praying for you.
You're an awesome Tekken-player. Hope we'll be fighting again :)

Degen

10-strings need to GO

At least make em all start with "h,m,m,m,l" or something predictable like that

it's an unnecessary and unwanted part of the metagame; why make it viable?

Doomshine

I don't really know all the 10 strings but I feel like I can usually guess when the low is coming and even if I fuck up I'll remember it for next time. This is pretty much how I've learned to defend against every 10 string post T5.

Anyone who tries a 10 string that's existed since T3 is fucked though.

GrayFoxPL

10-strings are annoying. I can block a few of them (from the characters I play or have played in Tekken 3-6), but I still fuck up sometimes (especially Online) trying to punish them. Which is why I don't try punishing them anymore.
Blocking is hard enough. People spamming the shit out of their characters are annoying. One mistake and they send you flying, using that one combo they learned to fuck you up.

By the way, your post earlier killed me. Especially the thing with your father in the hospital. Praying for you.
You're an awesome Tekken-player. Hope we'll be fighting again :)

Exactly. For old characters you just remember the strings, like King, Yoshi or Kazuya, there were limited move sets back then, but now who memorizes 10 strings for eg Zafina, Leo, Bob or Angel? Come on.

And thanks. We'll surly play. :)

10-strings need to GO

At least make em all start with "h,m,m,m,l" or something predictable like that

it's an unnecessary and unwanted part of the metagame; why make it viable?

Preach brother.

Worst part is that Harada already answered on twitter why 10 strings are in. He said because others would bitch and complain if he removed them.

Sad thing these "others" are lame assess who don't devote themselves to the game but troll and sent hate mails after their dull and empty spam-10-strings victory. And when they lose they act even worse.

Does Harada really want to complement such "fans"?

d+1 gets me out of most ten string bullshit but get accidentally hit by 3rd or 4th move in the string because it was done from a distance and you don't know who, what or where.
Funny thing is you gotta learn them anyway because so many like to spam them. Like I never ever used Lili, I picked her accidentally in T5 and went back to character select screen. That's my total playtime with this character.
But people online spam her ten strings to the ridicule. At this time I can block her every 10-string with my eyes closed, and I never even tried in practice mode.
But come on, I wont waste my time when random Zafina will just throw it there at rage status. It's a joke. Especially when 8 on 10 Zafinas don't bother with 10 - strings.

DEATH™

Why the hate on 10 strings? That thing got many people into Tekken man...

The real problem is not the 10 string but the setting... we are playing online in ranked where we don't have chances for rematches. 10 strings are good on short bursts (even in competitive setting as shown to us by AK), but diminishes their use if used like a crutch. The problem is online play just totally minimize the 10 string's weaknesses and amplify its strengths.

And I really want to make a 10 string counter vid for all the characters LONG LONG TIME AGO, but I got no video capture and I got too many projects shuffling around before school starts... ARRRRRGGHH

ShinFuYux

Ive never been a big fan of juggles and just endless combos. Does this game have that? I've been told it's quite different from tekken 6, gameplaywise.

Manbig

Ive never been a big fan of juggles and just endless combos. Does this game have that? I've been told it's quite different from tekken 6, gameplaywise.

The Tekken series in general has juggles. If that really is enough to deter you, then you should pretty much avoid all 3D fighters that are not named Dead or Alive.

Degen

it's basically T6 with tag shenanigans and a buffed rage mode, lol

juggles are crazier than ever with the tag mechanic

DEATH™

I'm looking more along the lines of non-official artwork.

4ba91347887c45091675fbcb71bb515e-d566ehd.jpg

jun_kazama_ttt2_by_seeso2d-d3aom0p.jpg

chun_li_x_jun_kazama_by_seeso2d-d3g0xqx.jpg

I'm gonna look for some more on Tumblr

AAK

Fanart you say???

I have you covered, other than the png I PM'd you when you first asked for the images I skimmed through my folder and picked out the things that fit your criteria. Apologies for flooding the screen, but choose whichever you'd like:

Also, Grayfox I just saw your post. I'm sorry to hear about your hardships man. But if you ever need to talk about stuff we're here for you. Just take things step by step and power through them till you meet your goals. Keep overcoming and savoring that feeling.... that is living :)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Thanks guys but I only need something with just the character no backgrounds or anything in PNG format since I am going to blend it with my overlay.

AAK

Same with Bob's (and some other character's) ff+2 I'm guessing.

Bob's f,f+2 is only -8. That is completely safe and never punishable... except from moves like Yoshi's NSS flash and Xiaoyu's b+1 (assuming they reach) which are 8 fr or faster. Heihachi's f,f+2 is -16. So moves like Leo's f+1+2 which is 15fr will consistently punish it because of it's range. And sometimes when it's not a shallow block, Julia's d+1+2 can punish it, but not consistently.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Started playing this again the other day. Feels like I've forgotten so much after playing a ton of DOA and a bit of Revolution. :/

GrayFoxPL

Also, Grayfox I just saw your post. I'm sorry to hear about your hardships man. But if you ever need to talk about stuff we're here for you. Just take things step by step and power through them till you meet your goals. Keep overcoming and savoring that feeling.... that is living :)

Thanks man and wise words. That's how life should be lived. :)

Edit awesome fanart.

Perfect Electric!

Started playing this again the other day. Feels like I've forgotten so much after playing a ton of DOA and a bit of Revolution. :/

Ha, when I miss one, one single day of Tekken Tag, I play like crap and need those 4-5 h of "warm up". Seriously, I think optimal playtime for Tekken is 24h a day.

Game just trolls you.

"Hey, remember how were you flying with those electrics on Monday? Well it's Wednesday and you forgot the timing, learn again!"

Manbig

So when are we gonna start doing rooms with Kadey streams again? I wanna see how much everyone has improved. I expect to get my ass kicked by a lot of you since I'm very much out of practice.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The very first one Death posted would be good in a PNG version. It has to have the transparency so that it goes with my overlay.

GrayFoxPL

Hey guys, it's going to be a crazy tournament in about 2 weeks. Doomshine and other Finns here, seriously, Assembly Winter will be the biggest tournament this year (or possibly for a while).

Seriously, check this out:
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4703726#post4703726

Just saying. We were supposed to just have a regular 32 man bracket with our local guys but this shit is getting out of hand.

Oh shit, I hope there will be stream.

Billion dollars on Doomshine.

AAK

Hey guys, it's going to be a crazy tournament in about 2 weeks. Doomshine and other Finns here, seriously, Assembly Winter will be the biggest tournament this year (or possibly for a while).

Seriously, check this out:
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4703726#post4703726

Just saying. We were supposed to just have a regular 32 man bracket with our local guys but this shit is getting out of hand.

tumblr_mv36dfnYSK1qz9wlpo1_500.gif

Fun fact: Starscream along with MDJ are the players who inspired me to learn Tekken. Starscream still is my favorite player to watch. Have fun guys, I levelled up sooooo much that time when KOR and GM went to Toronto... you guys will have Koreans, Venezuelans, and the best of Europe in house, It's gonna be a weekend to remember :)

The very first one Death posted would be good in a PNG version. It has to have the transparency so that it goes with my overlay.

It's not perfect... but here is the PNG.

iboLAI8A4fNNqi.png

GrayFoxPL

I can imagine that the pad isn't really made for Tekken.

Damn, just frame moves are hard, but electrics are nearly impossible for me.

f,n,d,df+2 is an electric right? The most common problem with the input is pushing 2 and df at the same time. You may feel you do it right but then you can see in command view that df is pushed 1-2 frames earlier(or 2 is pushed later, same thing).

You can kinda train yourself by doing simple exercise in practice mode. At first you just do forward neutral and 2 without anything else like 10 times to get a feel for it. Then you do the same but right when you push 2 you make d,df motion - it's more like feeling of doing it after 2. It may seem weird but the speed which your left thumb hits the direction is likely to be faster then you realize, resulting in simultaneous df+2 even if you "aimed" to hit df after 2. Body faster then mind. Don't think, feel. Stuff like that. ;)

Off course it's a simple idea for pad players, not sure if it'll work on stick.

Top Bottom