• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

sasuke_91

f,n,d,df+2 is an electric right? The most common problem with the input is pushing 2 and df at the same time. You may feel you do it right but then you can see in command view that df is pushed 1-2 frames earlier(or 2 is pushed later, same thing).

You can kinda train yourself by doing simple exercise in practice mode. At first you just do forward neutral and 2 without anything else like 10 times to get a feel for it. Then you do the same but right when you push 2 you make d,df motion - it's more like feeling of doing it after 2. It may seem weird but the speed which your left thumb hits the direction is likely to be faster then you realize, resulting in simultaneous df+2 even if you "aimed" to hit df after 2. Body faster then mind. Don't think, feel. Stuff like that. ;)

Off course it's a simple idea for pad players, not sure if it'll work on stick.
Wow, this actually works a bit better :D
Jin has 2 electrics. With 1 and 2 at the end.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. Whenever I play ranked matches, I play like shit. It isn't even funny anymore. I get caught in the silliest situation I know I would have blocked/punished in a match against a friend. Whenever I watch a replay I actually see the situations where I do the idiotic stuff and get angry of myself, because that's not the way I usually play.
I never got past Grand Master and now I'm stuck in the Mentor/Master/Grand Master-ranks. A friend of mine always tells me how he doesn't really get why I'm this low-ranked, since I'm his level and he's in the Fighter/Berserker-ranks.

Fraeon

I'm not actually going to be there, as much as I would like to. The tournament and the players there sound awesome though so I'll try to catch the stream.

Man, I really wish you could come. This is pretty much a once in a lifetime chance to get to play against such a pool of players on Finnish soil no less.

This also applies to other Finns. The chances to get for such a tournament so close don't happen that often so if you're even the slightest bit interested in high level Tekken, there's no reason not to come.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. Whenever I play ranked matches, I play like shit. It isn't even funny anymore. I get caught in the silliest situation I know I would have blocked/punished in a match against a friend. Whenever I watch a replay I actually see the situations where I do the idiotic stuff and get angry of myself, because that's not the way I usually play.
I never got past Grand Master and now I'm stuck in the Mentor/Master/Grand Master-ranks. A friend of mine always tells me how he doesn't really get why I'm this low-ranked, since I'm his level and he's in the Fighter/Berserker-ranks.

That is just the pressure of playing for rank, it is a much more stressful environment than playing casual matches with a friend. It is really easy to lose yourself in your emotions when playing ranked.

sasuke_91

That is just the pressure of playing for rank, it is a much more stressful environment than playing casual matches with a friend. It is really easy to lose yourself in your emotions when playing ranked.

Yeah, that could be true. I notice how I'm shaking sometimes when I'm really angry. People online are annoying :mad:
Oh, and I can't really handle spammers^^

Last night I tried some Tekken Revolution. It's quite fun and I really appreciate the fact that Eddy isn't unlocked in the beginning, so people have to actually learn how to play in order to win^^
But there was also none of the characters I play, so I chose Kazuya. I remember some of his moves from Tekken 5 and Online-Matches in Tekken 6/TT2.

Dereck

Yeah, that could be true. I notice how I'm shaking sometimes when I'm really angry. People online are annoying :mad:

Last night I tried some Tekken Revolution. It's quite fun and I really appreciate the fact that Eddy isn't unlocked in the beginning, so people have to actually learn how to play in order to win^^
But there was also none of the characters I play, so I chose Kazuya. I remember some of his moves from Tekken 5 and Online-Matches in Tekken 6/TT2.
Byakkos in Tekken Revolution play like Grand Masters in Tag.

Kazuya is a great choice in Tekken Revolution. He doesn't on heavily on poking that can be shut down by invincible moves, but rather ambiguous mix-ups and punishing.

Also lasers.

Manbig

Kazuya is a great choice in Tekken Revolution. He doesn't on heavily on poking that can be shut down by invincible moves, but rather ambiguous mix-ups and punishing.

Also lasers.

And that is probably the best thing about picking up Kazuya. General rule of thumb in Tekken is mix ups out of canned strings are nearly all gimmicks that get shut down with some high level option selects or built up reaction times. This is one of the reasons Baek is considered to be a mediocre character, but still wrecks lower to mid level players. You don't want to formulate bad habits by relying on such things, so learning to play with Kaz will set you straight. Just try not to whore out that 1,2,4,3 string too much.

And that is probably the best thing about picking up Kazuya. General rule of thumb in Tekken is mix ups out of canned strings are nearly all gimmicks that get shut down with some high level option selects or built up reaction times. This is one of the reasons Baek is considered to be a mediocre character, but still wrecks lower to mid level players. You don't want to formulate bad habits by relying on such things, so learning to play with Kaz will set you straight. Just try not to whore out that 1,2,4,3 string too much.
1,2,4,3 is basically a desperation string at this point. Everyone knows how to block it. Its a miracle if someone gets hit by the last part of the string. If you're lucky you'll get a bit of damage from the 4 but even then a good player can see it coming and block - or even parry you!

You'll see Kazuya players do it all the time when they are shut down and don't know what else to do.

Manbig

1,2,4,3 is basically a desperation string at this point. Everyone knows how to block it. Its a miracle if someone gets hit by the last part of the string. If you're lucky you'll get a bit of damage from the 4 but even then a good player can see it coming and block - or even parry you!

You'll see Kazuya players do it all the time when they are shut down and don't know what else to do.

I actually think that it has a purpose. Any string that is heavily delayable has a place, and if I'm not mistaken, he can heavily delay the 4, which gives him the last hit if it lands as CH. It appears to be relatively low risk, but I never tested trying to sidestep it. Either way, when used properly, it can make people hesitate or attempt a fuzzy low parry after a blocked 1,2.

sasuke_91

DEATH™;97944698 said:
I'll take that as an insult to Tag 2 Grandmasters lol.

Yeah, now I feel REALLY offended. Nobody insults us Grand Masters (until I become a Brawler, then you can say whatever you want)!

Also lasers.

I should really learn how to play Kazuya (not for Revolution, but for Tag 2), but I don't really know who will be the second character. Maybe Heihachi, then I would have to learn 2 characters^^
Mishimas are great. They are strong, have some cool moves and, most importantly, those electrics! :D

GrayFoxPL

Ahahaha!

Yeasterday I thought: "Wow no hate mails for whole day!"

Today I realized I turned off notifications. Checked inbox - the hate still burns.

Dereck

GrayFox I would love to play you if I ever moved to Poland. I feel like if we played on a 5 connection we would have more fun.

Keep telling myself I'm done with this and I keep coming back. But I had a lot of fun today. I really wish there was somebody good I could play and practice with locally.

GrayFoxPL

GrayFox I would love to play you if I ever moved to Poland. I feel like if we played on a 5 connection we would have more fun.

Yeah it would be much better, I cannot react properly with much lag, combo timing is way different. Can't move properly. I usually do stuff on reaction. That not to say you wouldn't destroy me at 5-4 bars, you would. :)

Who did we play today? Sayah? Sorry I can't remember psn ids corresponding to GAF.

Anyway Anna too stronk!

I should really learn how to play Kazuya (not for Revolution, but for Tag 2), but I don't really know who will be the second character. Maybe Heihachi, then I would have to learn 2 characters^^
Mishimas are great. They are strong, have some cool moves and, most importantly, those electrics! :D

Heihachi is a great character to learn. He is more versatile and easier to learn than Kazuya in my opinion.

GrayFoxPL

When I start to care enough I'll go into practice mode and look at Nina/Anna strings.

Nina's easier to block then Anna imo. The worse are df+1,2 strings at the wall it's almost unlimited mixup and I give up. uf+4,3,4 also annoying as hell, gotta block second low or else it's death, harder then it looks. Not to mention it can be canceled and get you punished.

Petition - no Williams, no Changs in T7 :p.

Yeah it would be much better, I cannot react properly with much lag, combo timing is way different. Can't move properly. I usually do stuff on reaction. That not to say you wouldn't destroy me at 5-4 bars, you would. :)

Who did we play today? Sayah? Sorry I can't remember psn ids corresponding to GAF.

Anyway Anna too stronk!

Good games GrayFox and boutdown. Nice play and teams. It was fun. I keep coming back to this game for some reason everytime I say I'm done.

Sayah. Haha thanks. Actually, I wish I played like Sayah. :p

Eraptura is Rhazer Fusion.

Also, I am sorry to read about your earlier post man. I know you will get through it and my prayers are with you. Stay strong and everything IS going to work out. :)

DEATH™

Keep telling myself I'm done with this and I keep coming back. But I had a lot of fun today. I really wish there was somebody good I could play and practice with locally.

Good games GrayFox and boutdown. Nice play and teams. It was fun. I keep coming back to this game for some reason everytime I say I'm done.

Who are you kidding guys?

43931969.jpg

Even the supposedly "retired" Anakin is playing at KiT.

GrayFoxPL

Sayah. Haha thanks. Actually, I wish I played like Sayah. :p

Eraptura is Rhazer Fusion.

Also, I am sorry to read about your earlier post man. I know you will get through it and my prayers are with you. Stay strong and everything IS going to work out. :)

No, you play great!

I was like: "I won a fight against Sayah, I'm done!" :D

I'll remember you now for sure.

Now I have 2 tactics in back of my head.

Against Boutdown - go cheese, double cheese.

Against Rhazer Fusion - go low, don't look back.

XD

And thanks for kind words, I'm holding strong. Hope we play again.

I'd love to play Sayah sometimes. He's like blue rank or shit like that, right?

My tactics against Sayah - outlag him and keep from walls plus teleports everywhere even in lobby XD.

Btw I'm super impressed how you guys handle lag and score combos. I react more on what's visually on screen then press button, instead of memorizing button timing, I must learn that.

AAK

Was procrastinating on youtube today, and just remembered the T5 days when I was first looking into the vids of competitive Tekken. Remember when Knee was young?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksYxU1_Mo3c

Damn does that look scary.

uf+4,3,4 also annoying as hell, gotta block second low or else it's death, harder then it looks. Not to mention it can be canceled and get you punished.

After playing Sayah extensively, I'm relatively POSITIVE that as long as you block the low and punish on time, Nina is F'd. ;)

As for Anna although it takes guts and needs your commitment, you can sidewalk all of her FC mixups. I have so much trouble because I instinctively go into fuzzy guard mode and by the time I realize I should be sidewalking it's too late haha.

Petition - no Williams, no Changs in T7 :p.

... Man what will T7 be, such a mystery. I can't see any possible way for them to improve on TTT2. They just have to make something new. I know Harada said he won't do anything like T4 ever again (despite how good it can potentially be... but mostly bad)

GrayFoxPL

Was procrastinating on youtube today, and just remembered the T5 days when I was first looking into the vids of competitive Tekken. Remember when Knee was young?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksYxU1_Mo3c

Damn does that look scary.

After playing Sayah extensively, I'm relatively POSITIVE that as long as you block the low and punish on time, Nina is F'd. ;)

As for Anna although it takes guts and needs your commitment, you can sidewalk all of her FC mixups. I have so much trouble because I instinctively go into fuzzy guard mode and by the time I realize I should be sidewalking it's too late haha.

iAtoYwMFqjtpc.gif

What? Really?

Online Annas I'm going in for the kill!

ibmIGDVuF1MnxI.gif

And yeah my Tekken heroes/legends when I started watching match videos: Knee, HoleMan, MadDogJin, KidJin.

... Man what will T7 be, such a mystery. I can't see any possible way for them to improve on TTT2. They just have to make something new. I know Harada said he won't do anything like T4 ever again (despite how good it can potentially be... but mostly bad)

Not a day passes when I don't think about T7 or TxSF. What direction could it take? Harada seemed pretty fascinated with Street Fighter lately, so what do you think: Super bar? Soul Calibur got supers eventually. Air combos instead of bounds?
Possibilities how Tekken 7 could shape up are insane. Tough even more refined T6/Tag2 would be amazing. Just please 1 on 1. I really want to focus on 2 characters per fight, not 4.

AAK

Not a day passes when I don't think about T7 or TxSF. What direction could it take? Harada seemed pretty fascinated with Street Fighter lately, so what do you think: Super bar? Soul Calibur got supers eventually. Air combos instead of bounds?
Possibilities how Tekken 7 could shape up are insane. Tough even more refined T6/Tag2 would be amazing. Just please 1 on 1. I really want to focus on 2 characters per fight, not 4.

Give me my KOFXI 3v3 PLEASE. Vision Proxicide represent:

TTT2-gameplayA.jpg

To all the people that only wanna learn one character.... let there be handicaps!!! Mwahaha

handicap.jpg

Are you guys playing sessions often? I'd like to join sometimes, if it's allowed^^

We definitely do, post your PSN, my PSN is AAK0924 and if I'm ever having a session and I see you I'll add you :)

GrayFoxPL

Give me my KOFXI 3v3 PLEASE. Vision Proxicide represent:

TTT2-gameplayA.jpg

To all the people that only wanna learn one character.... let there be handicaps!!! Mwahaha

I don't wanna learn 1 character I learn 20+ each Tekken, I just don't wanna play them all at once! 3vs3 would be MarvelTekken, so much chaos, probably luck would factor way more then it should be.

AAK

My post was in jest... but there is something to think about.... would a Tekken game with an "assist" button work? Has a 3D fighter ever attempted something like that? I think Dissidia Final fantasy on psp had something but it didn't have Tekken's control scheme at all.

Most signs do point at them returning to 1 v 1... but I personally can't get excited about that when something so malleable and deep as TTT2 already exists. Going back to solo vs solo just seems too boring for my tastes :(
/firstworldproblems

GrayFoxPL

My post was in jest... but there is something to think about.... would a Tekken game with an "assist" button work? Has a 3D fighter ever attempted something like that? I think Dissidia Final fantasy on psp had something but it didn't have Tekken's control scheme at all.

Most signs do point at them returning to 1 v 1... but I personally can't get excited about that when something so malleable and deep as TTT2 already exists. Going back to solo vs solo just seems too boring for my tastes :(
/firstworldproblems

Laser assists all day lol.

But I hear you. I wouldn't worry about depth, as long as game provides multiple options in a given situation it'll be fun. Imagine more wall maneuvers or more options while in grounded position. What they should do is decrease juggle time. Maybe by speeding up the game, "heavy" characters or other means. Juggle should be bang,bang,bang,bang 1-2,5sec and you're back in action. Maybe more timing specific, rewarding execution but not putting together just fragments of strings, etc. Tag combos are cool, but it's getting to that point where opponent goes to college and finishes it before juggle is over.
Shit just needs to be faster. Game overall too. People won't be bitching in streams that Tourney of Tekken takes 86 hours to finish.

AAK

The next Tekken game is probably going to be a game that will not require any legacy skills to play from an execution point of view. I think they are gonna target the new generation of players full force. So I doubt any of the current mechanics with bound, wall stuns, wakeup, movement, everything will be retained in the next big iteration of the series.

HOWEVER, I'm not going to count out the concept of bound returning. Bound is something of a combo extender. That concept might still be in Tekken 7.

AAK

Lalaladontaskmewhatitislalala

http://pastebin.com/3VGN7bxV

The Tekken that emerged after I left has fallen below my expectations. It's a lot easier to create 'arrangements' of old games than to make something new. To still be relying on Tekken even now is proof that Namco's real strength has disappeared, and I'm shocked by the decline in creativity and development ability. It's shameful to call yourself a developer or a creator if you can't design new games. Relying only on collaborations that will sell well shows a lack of imagination, and it's not going to set the world on fire."

Damn, he disapproves vehemently of T5+. Still fascinating how crazy Japanese work ethic was.

No, you play great!

I was like: "I won a fight against Sayah, I'm done!" :D

I'll remember you now for sure.

Now I have 2 tactics in back of my head.

Against Boutdown - go cheese, double cheese.

Against Rhazer Fusion - go low, don't look back.

XD

And thanks for kind words, I'm holding strong. Hope we play again.

I'd love to play Sayah sometimes. He's like blue rank or shit like that, right?

My tactics against Sayah - outlag him and keep from walls plus teleports everywhere even in lobby XD.

Btw I'm super impressed how you guys handle lag and score combos. I react more on what's visually on screen then press button, instead of memorizing button timing, I must learn that.

Thanks, man. You are also really good yourself. Your teams worked well with each other. To tell you the truth, Raven in general sometimes makes me really nervous when I am fighting him with his unpredictability, eccentric fighting style and teleporting. You are tough to read which is always a good thing.

Last time I heard and seen, Sayah was a Genbu rank. I haven't played him in a long time actually.

It seemed like you were handling the lag just fine. You landed some impressive combos and seemed like your execution was point on. Yeah, hopefully we will play again soon. I had fun. :p

DEATH™

Damn, he disapproves vehemently of T5+. Still fascinating how crazy Japanese work ethic was.

I think his problem was Namco not making new IPs... As the developer who prides in making stuff, I kinda feel him. Its just a natural thing to have...

On the other hand, marketing that new IP would be tough at this point.

(Of course he also wants some stuff included in Tekken but hey, all of us wants something. Just like he said, there are a bunch of ideas and you can only do as much as the budget constraints allow you too.)

GrayFoxPL

Lalaladontaskmewhatitislalala

http://pastebin.com/3VGN7bxV

Wow. I don't know what to think about the guy. On one hand he seems salty as hell and likely he has the right to. On the other hand when I read he thought Salomon was a good idea for T3 and that he saved ten strings from being scrapped, then I don't know if I should take him seriously. Then again he was in charge of T3.
Hmm.

Anyway, fascinating article. Thanks Flying Wonkey

Thanks, man. You are also really good yourself. Your teams worked well with each other. To tell you the truth, Raven in general sometimes makes me really nervous when I am fighting him with his unpredictability, eccentric fighting style and teleporting. You are tough to read which is always a good thing.

Last time I heard and seen, Sayah was a Genbu rank. I haven't played him in a long time actually.

It seemed like you were handling the lag just fine. You landed some impressive combos and seemed like your execution was point on. Yeah, hopefully we will play again soon. I had fun. :p

Thanks much. I don't deserve the praise, I only won few times when you were demolishing Boutdown and me :D. Too good.

I love ninjas and Raven has pretty unique style. I will work on him more and more. He got few cool moves in Tag2 and some safeness, but quite few T6 moves got nerfed/changed, so he's not suddenly super amazing char in Tag2. Though safer character then before if you rely on defense and safe poking Raven is not a character for you. You gotta go for high risks, counter hits, being back turned and trying to make opponent guess wrong. Fits me.

I tried teaming him up with Paul today. In my imagination they were unstoppable, in reality I lost bunch of fights and got demoted, only after 5h I started getting back on the wins. They're not fantastic together. Decent combos like 90+ without walls, but insanely different playstyles confuse me more then my opponents in the midst of a fight.

Top Bottom