• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

GrayFoxPL

Hey TekkenGAF, I just got this game in the mail today and I have no previous Tekken experience. Any suggestions on how to get started, what characters to focus on, etc?

Edit: I guess reading the OP would be a good place to start, lots of helpful info there. I'd still welcome any tips or suggestions though!

Welcome!

Ask us anything.

You on PSN? I don't mind giving you a rundown of the game using the online practice mode. I have headset as well. so I don't mind running you through the basics of everything :)

But yeah I did post some things in the OP to help beginners. Feel free to check it out and post up if you have any questions. Any character is ok to start as a beginner. But once you get to the intermediate level where you understand how things work that you may want a simpler character that demands less execution. But the most important thing is to have fun so I say choose whoever you want.

I'm on Wii U, but I appreciate the offer, thanks. And thanks for the OP, you did a great job!

I'm really looking forward to digging in to this; it's been a loooong time since I took on a new fighting game.

Sayah

I enjoying playing with Lili and Kunimitsu. But I feel that they are not a good duo.

I like Lili style, their acrobatic moves are pretty nice and Kunimitsu it is a NInja :3

But I am still terrible in doing tag combos..

I can put some Lili/Kunimitsu combos up this weekend if you'd like.

braves01

Banned
Hey TekkenGAF, I just got this game in the mail today and I have no previous Tekken experience. Any suggestions on how to get started, what characters to focus on, etc?

Edit: I guess reading the OP would be a good place to start, lots of helpful info there. I'd still welcome any tips or suggestions though!

When you get to working on backdash canceling and crouch dashing, I think Tekken Ball is a good place to consciously work on your movement that isn't quite as tedious as just going back and forth in training mode.

Ghazi

How viable is Jun+Asuka in this game? I ask because, I haven't played the game at all since buying it on the 360 (no one to play with), they seem to have similar movesets and from what I've read they are two similar characters. It seems it'd be, overall, easier to play and learn the game with 2 of the same character pretty much. But, as I know nothing about the game, it's systems, mechanics, etc, is there anything especially negative about the two/individual characters or pair before I start trying to play them?

Dereck

How viable is Jun+Asuka in this game? I ask because, I haven't played the game at all since buying it on the 360 (no one to play with), they seem to have similar movesets and from what I've read they are two similar characters. It seems it'd be, overall, easier to play and learn the game with 2 of the same character pretty much. But, as I know nothing about the game, it's systems, mechanics, etc, is there anything especially negative about the two/individual characters or pair before I start trying to play them?
One of the most viable teams in the game.

Those two are good starting characters. They are lower on the tier lists, but that's only relevant to people who have encyclopedic knowledge of frame data and such. For beginner/intermediate level play, Asuka in particular is very strong.

Play Fight Lab to learn the mechanics of the game. Then go into practice mode and check out their move lists and learn some combos. After that, you can try Ghost Battle to learn how to fight some of the other characters.

Then go online and prepare to rage.

Dereck

YOOOO I JUST KICKED THIS DUDE'S ASS IN RANK BREH, DOUBLE FIGHTER LAW.

I HAVE TO UPLOAD THIS SHIT

LOOOOOOOOOOL, PUNISH, PUNISH, LAUNCH PUNISH, BLOCK PUNISH, PUNISH ALL DAY

Ghazi

One of the most viable teams in the game.
Nice, probably will start out with them, then.
Those two are good starting characters. They are lower on the tier lists, but that's only relevant to people who have encyclopedic knowledge of frame data and such. For beginner/intermediate level play, Asuka in particular is very strong.

Play Fight Lab to learn the mechanics of the game. Then go into practice mode and check out their move lists and learn some combos. After that, you can try Ghost Battle to learn how to fight some of the other characters.

Then go online and prepare to rage.

tier lists really don't matter to me, I play low tier characters in all the other fighting games I play anyway. Yeah, Asuka will probably be the first character, with Jun second, I've been told it's a good idea to start with Asuka. Does she play the same in Tekken Revolution? I have that downloaded on my PS3, so I may practice with people here on that game with her.

I think I started fight lab and got a little past the first section at a university or school, probably will have to start over.

Sayah

tier lists really don't matter to me, I play low tier characters in all the other fighting games I play anyway. Yeah, Asuka will probably be the first character, with Jun second, I've been told it's a good idea to start with Asuka. Does she play the same in Tekken Revolution? I have that downloaded on my PS3, so I may practice with people here on that game with her.

I think I started fight lab and got a little past the first section at a university or school, probably will have to start over.

Tiers aren't a huge deal in Tekken. Even the lowest tier teams can be ferocious (read: Kuma/Panda).

Askua/Jun is a prominently used team. Though, I wouldn't say they are both that similar. Their move sets are very varied despite having some similarities. If you're looking for two characters that play almost alike, then Jun/Unknown is probably the better option.

Sayah

Well, your Nina and Anna leaderboards rank say otherwise. Take a look at it. Congratulations man. :p

haha, I'm always getting promoted and demoted. I just play ranked for the varied competition. The rank itself doesn't matter all that much to me (or at least I try not to make it a huge determining factor - though no one likes getting demoted). There are Raijins I've faced that I could beat easily....several times. And then there are Pugilists I've faced which have given me a far harder time. Plus, there's all the boosting going on and either people have bad connections or I come across lag switchers occasionally as well.

YOOOO I JUST KICKED THIS DUDE'S ASS IN RANK BREH, DOUBLE FIGHTER LAW.

I HAVE TO UPLOAD THIS SHIT

LOOOOOOOOOOL, PUNISH, PUNISH, LAUNCH PUNISH, BLOCK PUNISH, PUNISH ALL DAY

Nice. Great play in those rank matches and you decimated those Laws lol. Also, it seems like your Lee is steadily sprouting into a formidable beast. Good stuff.

Had a great time with this game last night. It looks great and runs beautifully, excellent music and presentation. Didn't take as long as I thought to get familiar with the basics of movement and combos but it'll be a while before I can do much besides spam the same couple of combos over and over. I had no real trouble vs the CPU until I got to Heihachi and Jinpachi, where it was demonstrated to me that I am still very much a noob.

Had a great time with this game last night. It looks great and runs beautifully, excellent music and presentation. Didn't take as long as I thought to get familiar with the basics of movement and combos but it'll be a while before I can do much besides spam the same couple of combos over and over. I had no real trouble vs the CPU until I got to Heihachi and Jinpachi, where it was demonstrated to me that I am still very much a noob.

The CPU is very predictable. If there is ever a gap they'll dash right into any move you wanna do. This is the polar opposite to online opponents who do nothing but backdash until you whiff and then kill you. The latter is much harder to deal with.

AAK

I actually liked a lot of your commentary where you were discussing your thought process. Hmmm.... time to play learn Zafina and use it on you so you won't be flustered by her no more :p

Jun/Asuka teams have tormented me... I actually can't think of any other Asuka team that gave me as much trouble as a Jun/Asuka team. They have some real dirty stuff.

The best way to learn the game is to set goals for yourself and play each game trying to achieve each goal. For example if you want to learn how to punish a hopkick you always play the game waiting for your opponent to hopkick and JUST try and get the punish right. It doesn't matter if you lose, as long as you get all the punishes down you should consider that match a success. Unfortunately when playing the AI it's hard to make them do human like behaviors but it is still something you can work on. Against an AI it can be good practice to hone down punishment in general and learning about certain strings. Glad you're enjoying it though :)

Dereck

"Combo that bitch" *drops combo* "Combo that bitch' *drops combo again*

lol. You did pretty well with Lee's mist step combos. If you can do those, you can do anything execution wise. :)

I actually liked a lot of your commentary where you were discussing your thought process. Hmmm.... time to play learn Zafina and use it on you so you won't be flustered by her no more :p
:)

Random question but are there any other characters with weird hitboxes when you combo them like Jacks/Bears?
True Ogre

The CPU is very predictable. If there is ever a gap they'll dash right into any move you wanna do. This is the polar opposite to online opponents who do nothing but backdash until you whiff and then kill you. The latter is much harder to deal with.

The best way to learn the game is to set goals for yourself and play each game trying to achieve each goal. For example if you want to learn how to punish a hopkick you always play the game waiting for your opponent to hopkick and JUST try and get the punish right. It doesn't matter if you lose, as long as you get all the punishes down you should consider that match a success. Unfortunately when playing the AI it's hard to make them do human like behaviors but it is still something you can work on. Against an AI it can be good practice to hone down punishment in general and learning about certain strings. Glad you're enjoying it though :)

Thanks guys, the CPU is ridiculously easy on the default setting now that I am used to the game. I had a friend over last night who is a big Tekken fan and playing against him was incredibly fun and extremely intense. I will take your advice regarding how to use the AI for practice; we cranked the difficulty up to Ultra Hard last night and that was a lot more competitive and fun, but I assume it suffers from the same limitations?

Thanks guys, the CPU is ridiculously easy on the default setting now that I am used to the game. I had a friend over last night who is a big Tekken fan and playing against him was incredibly fun and extremely intense. I will take your advice regarding how to use the AI for practice; we cranked the difficulty up to Ultra Hard last night and that was a lot more competitive and fun, but I assume it suffers from the same limitations?

On Ultra Hard, the computer from my experience is considerably more aggressive and use deadlier combos. They do not drop them either. I typically play the AI to try to familiarize myself with the different fighting styles, characters and to try to practice a few combos on something that actually moves and fights back. Nothing like a real opponent to truly learn the fundamentals of the game, but the computer AI can also help you learn as well imo.

GrayFoxPL

Random question but are there any other characters with weird hitboxes when you combo them like Jacks/Bears?

There is some very rare shit where one move doesn't connect on some characters. Like with Kunimitsu you do df3,2 and then df+2 connects on everyone besides King. Must be some fucking glitch.

On Ultra Hard, the computer from my experience is considerably more aggressive and use deadlier combos. They do not drop them either. I typically play the AI to try to familiarize myself with the different fighting styles, characters and to try to practice a few combos on something that actually moves and fights back. Nothing like a real opponent to truly learn the fundamentals of the game, but the computer AI can also help you learn as well imo.

I often go for arcade run on very hard for a warm up before online. Depending on a "ghost" you meet, some are incredible. Cpu can even do 60%+ tag juggle complete with most damaging wall ender. Or that one solo Paul that I couldn't beat 5-6 times, I learned some dirty tricks observing him. Pretty smart AI.(Real player playback?)

Gambit61

:)

True Ogre

DEATH™;98936930 said:
Bigs?

Marduk, Ogres, Pachi, and Fat Bob...

There is some very rare shit where one move doesn't connect on some characters. Like with Kunimitsu you do df3,2 and then df+2 connects on everyone besides King. Must be some fucking glitch.

I often go for arcade run on very hard for a warm up before online. Depending on a "ghost" you meet, some are incredible. Cpu can even do 60%+ tag juggle complete with most damaging wall ender. Or that one solo Paul that I couldn't beat 5-6 times, I learned some dirty tricks observing him. Pretty smart AI.(Real player playback?)

Cool, thanks. I was playing a Steve yesterday and my friend and I would randomly drop our BnBs. I guess it was just Steve being slightly off axis since he liked to sway/sidestep a lot.

Yeah, I do think some of the arcade mode AI play styles are incredible and they can be quite intelligent at times. You can definitely pick off soem nice techniques and combos just by watching them. I think I know the solo Paul you are talking about. Aren't a few of the names based off of tournament players btw?

DEATH™

DEEEMM GM GOT BLASTED HARD...

But yeah... About Anakin, yeah, people get old... it happens. I can't really blame him. Supporting the community is not a responsibility. Yes its nice, but in the end, it's people's choice. Which makes it more beautiful when someone actually helps the community in that context.

Sayah

Negro got that happy b-day kill on JDCR. That is an accomplishment in itself.

Good matches. Everytime I watch TTT2, I just wanna go play it.

GrayFoxPL

Negro got that happy b-day kill on JDCR. That is an accomplishment in itself.

Good matches. Everytime I watch TTT2, I just wanna go play it.

Yeah, me too.

Couldn't believe how many times JDCR was close to being owned by scrubpachi.

But props to El Negro for putting up Raven-Kuni against JDCR. Ballsy.

I think JDCR picking Kazuya in "Ugliest Pants In The World" costume was some sort of trolling. :p

Sayah

Yeah, me too.

Couldn't believe how many times JDCR was close to being owned by scrubpachi.

But props to El Negro for putting up Raven-Kuni against JDCR. Ballsy.

I think JDCR picking Kazuya in "Ugliest Pants In The World" costume was some sort of trolling. :p

hahahahaha, probably.
I missed most of it but great tourney finals.

GrayFoxPL

My bad.

Still fugly as fuck. I hope Namco won't make any more deals with this clothing company.

Maybe they were going for "Eccentric yakuza style" but came out: "I'll put on anything I can find" - hobo style.

Robo-Kazuya by Takayuki Yamaguchi in Tekken 6 is still the best 3rd part outfit ever made.(Though his manga Apocalypse Zero is totally fucked up.)

i8IbMBqKJXFXt.jpg

Edit. Too awesome!

Top Bottom