• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

It does suck, but in the end, I'm not paying anything for a stream, so it's not like I have a right over bronson to broadcast it. I can't do anything but say

Personnages-celebres-Troll-face-Okay-Guy-174047.png

For those ttt1 matches everyone was referring to on the atplive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0QdigOGBbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcALctinqWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6FQ2f6mTQ

MikeMyers

Yes! There was nothing like Tekken 2. Even after T3 came out I would still play it occasionally for the music and boss battle.

It's amazing how much an intro and some short ending movies can add to a game. I was so into the characters and storylines of Tekken back then. Not at all now, though. :/

Same, I remember wasting so much time back in the day on forums theorizing who beat who in the tournaments.

Then T6 came out and I don't even care about the story anymore.

AAK

About all this story talk, I think Namco did all of this intentionally. I'm pretty sure Namco felt that Tekken 6 was supposed to usher in a completely new generation of players and demographics so I assume they went all anime on purpose. They got rid of the dark cyberpunk world of the mysterious Zaibatsu conglomerate holding these tournaments and it's now the adventures of Goku mishima/kawaii robot & their shitty friends saving the world from emo-lord Jin.

I can say for sure that it did no favors for the game in US.... in Japan on the other hand....

MikeMyers

Speaking of anime, the Mishimas always reminded me of Uchicas from the Naruto series. Like how Kazuya had no purpose in his life except revenge on his dad, and accepting help from the Devil to get this. In Naruto, Sasuke had no purpose in his life except revenge on his brother, and accepted help from Orochimaru to get this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I suck but I have joined TTT2 Wii-U GAF yesterday. Made that quick impressions thread over on mainline gaming GAF.

Did I mention how I suck? LOL

I'd ask to play with you all, but I can hear you playing "I don't want no scrub" by TLC already! LOLz

Sayah

I suck but I have joined TTT2 Wii-U GAF yesterday. Made that quick impressions thread over on mainline gaming GAF.

Did I mention how I suck? LOL

I'd ask to play with you all, but I can hear you playing "I don't want no scrub" by TLC already! LOLz

I would play against you if I had a Wii U. Sooooooon. Mario Kart 8 is looking very tempting.

DEATH™;107655626 said:
You should see this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frYwUzlo_-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OASC8JxqyhU

Oh man... i really don't know what to say...

BTW don't ask me where I got it... I'm asking myself that too lol...

LOL
Somebody has a lot of time.

Manbig

If you do end up copping a Wii U, you can score Tag 2 for like $10 these days, so there's almost no reason to not get it!

Also, try and get the Wii U during one of those crazy one day sales. People usually post them up in gaming general.

Sayah

If you do end up copping a Wii U, you can score Tag 2 for like $10 these days, so there's almost no reason to get it!

Also, try and get the Wii U during one of those crazy one day sales. People usually post them up in gaming general.

I already have TTT2 on Wii U. Just need the actual console, haha.

Manbig

MadCatz is basically giving away the Wii U TE stick too. It's down to $50 now. I'm tempted to buy it and I don't even own a Wii U.

I am definitely gonna cop that when I get some money together. I would probably play the Wii U version more if it wasn't for that controller.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
MadCatz is basically giving away the Wii U TE stick too. It's down to $50 now. I'm tempted to buy it and I don't even own a Wii U.

A reminder, with the Mayflash adapter you can have it work on PC and PS3 as well. Awesome value for less than $70.

Anyways...

Did you guys see the news on Strong Style? I'm excited. The last SS tournament was for T6. I did fairly well at that tournament (Top 32) and my team got 2nd in the team tournament. Fun times. :)

I miss being able to focus more on fun/learning a game instead of work/making dat paypah. ;(

sasuke_91

Speaking of anime, the Mishimas always reminded me of Uchicas from the Naruto series. Like how Kazuya had no purpose in his life except revenge on his dad, and accepting help from the Devil to get this. In Naruto, Sasuke had no purpose in his life except revenge on his brother, and accepted help from Orochimaru to get this.
Which means that Tekken would be a pretty generic Shounen anime...
And what's that about me having no purpose in life?

Sorry about yesterday AAK. I always have problems hosting a lobby. It normally works when I invite a person a second time, but, well...
I didn't experience much lag when you invited me though, so I was pretty surprised when you said it was too laggy.
GGs boutdown. I would have liked to play against the other guys, but I always get disconnected.

sasuke_91

Well, Tekken's story did turn into a generic Shonen anime, didn't you see the 1997 film?
I remember having seen a bit of it. It was kind of terrible, if I remember correctly.

I bought Tekken 3/4/5 for the story. I only played it with my siblings sometimes, my friends were a lot more into FIFA (or PES at that time). Tekken 6 just ruined everything, I guess...

MikeMyers

The anime was alright but it could have another 30+ minute of footage to develop characters more and have more battle scenes.

The live-action one is just awful though.

I remember the live-action Tekken movie being kind of hilarious. I watched it with some friends during one of our bad movie nights, and we had fun watching it. Heihachi's hair alone is a barrel of laughs!

I think we also watched The King of Fighters and Dragon Ball Evolution right after it. The former had its moments (Rugal's craziness, Kyo being a Japanese child that grows up to be a white guy), but the latter was just bad.

I watched the Tekken anime movie a few times, and it's okay. It's fun, but could have been a lot better. I can see myself watching it again, though. There are far worse anime adaptations of fighting games, like Samurai Shodown and Art of Fighting.

fatalexe

So I just bought a Qanba Q4 stick cause I broke both of my DS3 pads.. it would randomly do inputs that I didn't press causing me some close games.

It's really hard to wavedash and EWGF compared to using a pad. Hope I can get used to it soon. Have to relearn how to play Tekken using a stick instead of a pad.

One more thing is that I won lots of games yesterday but after losing 2 games, I get 2 demotion matches straight.. Now I'm back down to 2nd Dan fron being a diciple. sigh. My win rate is now 30%.. gradually becoming better.

MikeMyers

DB: Evolution ain't too bad, just needed more villain development and a proper final battle. Goku was kind of bland too, but the others were great (Bulma, Yamcha, Roshi, Chichi, Mai, etc.)

By the way, DEATH™, I'm pretty sure I have you added on PSN but haven't played you yet. I'm on there as LA-Kesh.

m0t0k1

Where can you get a madcatz stick for $50 that is really tempting never played with a stick before but i already have a mayflesh thingy for other controller if i can play on both wiiu and pc with this thing it would be perfect.

edit: See it is sold out at the madcatz store so no 50 for me :(.

AAK

Sorry about yesterday AAK. I always have problems hosting a lobby. It normally works when I invite a person a second time, but, well...
I didn't experience much lag when you invited me though, so I was pretty surprised when you said it was too laggy.
GGs boutdown. I would have liked to play against the other guys, but I always get disconnected.

There definitely was a lot of lag. Unfortunately we are living thousands and thousands of kilometers away from each other. The technology isn't there to give lagless gameplay. Even when playing against Sayah who lives in the east coast along with me I'll feel some sort of lag. Despite all that, TTT2's netcode is still substantially better than the rest.

So I just bought a Qanba Q4 stick cause I broke both of my DS3 pads.. it would randomly do inputs that I didn't press causing me some close games.

It's really hard to wavedash and EWGF compared to using a pad. Hope I can get used to it soon. Have to relearn how to play Tekken using a stick instead of a pad.

One more thing is that I won lots of games yesterday but after losing 2 games, I get 2 demotion matches straight.. Now I'm back down to 2nd Dan fron being a diciple. sigh. My win rate is now 30%.. gradually becoming better.

Remember man, don't let losses get to you. One of the best players in the world is KOR. He said that when he was learning Tekken he'd play 100's of matches at gathers with Crow (another Texas player) and lose pretty much every one of them. the main thing was that he'd stop and think about why he lost and then he'd adapt his gameplay after.

The practice mode is amazing in TTT2, watch the replay of your matches which you lost, and figure out in practice mode how to beat them. That's the road to becoming a better player.

GrayFoxPL

I remember having a seen a bit of it. It was kind of terrible, if I remember correctly.

But it had this:

ibiMtqLBvSpqGp.gif

Fatality! Haha.

Need Kazuya killing dinosaurs mini game in next Tekken. The real reason for dino extinction - Mishima got lost during time travel.

I need to main my Tekken 2 Alex again. Wish he didn't have Roger movelist, hate Roger.

sasuke_91

There definitely was a lot of lag. Unfortunately we are living thousands and thousands of kilometers away from each other. The technology isn't there to give lagless gameplay. Even when playing against Sayah who lives in the east coast along with me I'll feel some sort of lag. Despite all that, TTT2's netcode is still substantially better than the rest.
Maybe it's as you said and it'll get better when you move and get a better internet connection.
The only one I can play with at ~4 bars is GrayFoxPL. Even with Doomshine I only get 1 bar, but no lag.
But it had this:

ibiMtqLBvSpqGp.gif

Fatality! Haha.
Looks a bit like Berserk. Killing dinosaurs Guts-style :D

GrayFoxPL

Maybe it's as you said and it'll get better when you move and get a better internet connection.
The only one I can play with at ~4 bars is GrayFoxPL. Even with Doomshine I only get 1 bar, but no lag.

Looks a bit like Berserk. Killing dinosaurs Guts-style :D

I got way better internet now, get often 5 bars though I get massive slowdown at 3rd and 5th round sometimes. Dunno, lag switchers?

We must test it out, Sasuke.

Doomshine is about 4 bars in reality. I saw it for fraction of second once. Most likely his router restricts some connections or rather ports because we can connect with him fine. Our routers Sasuke "see" each other fine, but now I have new line, new router so I wonder if we get to see 4 bars or "1".

I could get even 3 bars with US Gaffers now maybe. :eek:

Doomshine

I have NAT 1 and can find 4-5 bar matches in Ranked and Player matches no problem so I don't know why both of you show up as 1 bars for me. I am starting to wonder if the router is having problems though, getting some weird connection errors and lag spikes lately so I might try a new router anyway.

My connection was recently upgraded too btw.

GrayFoxPL

I have NAT 1 and can find 4-5 bar matches in Ranked and Player matches no problem so I don't know why both of you show up as 1 bars for me. I am starting to wonder if the router is having problems though, getting some weird connection errors and lag spikes lately so I might try a new router anyway.

My connection was recently upgraded too btw.

Yeah, I get often 5 bars after upgrade but the random lag spikes are huge. Worst thing earlier I configured my old routers myself but with the new provider and optical fiber line it has this huge specialized router and tech guy said basically everything is done by the "base" at provider so I can't really dig in it. Shit. On old router I manually opened thousands of ports before I had correct bar indication. Sigh.

Doomshine the bar visibility is also likely done by a ports, probably quite a few but definitely affected by mtu settings.(PS3 MTU settings should be optimal at 1492) If you couldn't see mine and sasuke bars it means you can miss many good connections in Tekken because searching by a bar setting would lie eg. why we never met in random matches. I tested it multiple times and automatic MTU setting on PS3 can be really shit. Wonder if with this new line and hardware I have the same problem.

Doomshine, before changing the router, experiment with mtu setting on ps3, it might help, a lot.

The rule is start with 1492 then - 8 over and over until it looks stable. The thing is routers should have setting of 1500 mtu setting, it's the size of a packet sent at once. But if you set 1500 on the PS3 shit will start to be unstable. If for some reason connection can't sent packet of 1500 then the protocols will divide it. That's when connections start to get fucked up. That's why you lower mtu so to ensure the packets would be sent all at once without protocols fucking shit up because they're too big to sqeeze. Not all routers have MTU set up on 1500, I had one with 1490 and you couldn't change it. Then 1492 was too big because router wouldn't sent it at that size anyway.

Depending on router and game it may mean a change of "can't see anyone online" to "oh shit, it connects". Soul Calibur 5 online is invisible on many routers if you set PS3 mtu higher then 1492 or higher then your router's mtu -8.

I'd be lowering from tomorrow on my ps3, too. It is safe to lower mtu until shit works as it should. I think the info packets sent during online play in tekken are way way lower then max of 1500 transition units. Shit would be unplayable otherwise, lowering MTU to even 1400 is pretty safe.

Revolution runs better now, that netcode must be modified from Tag2, so it's less stable on lower broadbands but more smooth on faster ones. Earlier on my slower connection it broke often, now it stays throughout the match.

sasuke_91

I got a new router a few months ago and it works WAY better than it did before, but I also got some connection issues and hosting a lobby is complicated. I also have the problem with you, GrayFoxPL. I always have to invite you twice before you get connected. I got DMZ enabled on my router and opened some ports (the ones you always find via google).
My PS3 says I have NAT 2. Does anyone know which specific ports have to be opened for TTT2?
I also changed MTU to 1492. Maybe it'll help in some way :p

Yagami_Sama

I was looking for that MadCatz arcade stick, but from their web site they will not ship to my country. : C
In other stores the price is 3 times more expensive .

Playing with the Game Pad is ok, I think I get used to it, the only problem is some timer to Press 2 or 3 button at the same time.

Vanillalite

Quick someone buy me that Madcatz stick since I can't spend any more cash right now. It would be my first home arcade stick. :p

Also took a quick snap with my tablet since Tekken doesn't support Wii U screenshot feature. (Lame!)

m0t0k1

Quick someone buy me that Madcatz stick since I can't spend any more cash right now. It would be my first home arcade stick. :p

Also took a quick snap with my tablet since Tekken doesn't support Wii U screenshot feature. (Lame!)

Looking pretty good :p I shall try to take a pic next time i play tekken U never been to my stats.

DEATH™

I just fought Gagguni's Anna/Nina team...

What a douche!

Why? You got caught with alot of unblockable wakeup traps do yah?

The way he plays reminds me of the way people back in the philippines play... Most of the guys are heavy turtlers with setups that does the damage. They even made Lili's unblockable very practical...

Dereck

DEATH™;107984751 said:
Why? You got caught with alot of unblockable wakeup traps do yah?
LOL, I might upload the matches

I fought his bear team too, and he was doing a bunch of no mixup mixups, then LawScrub smashed him.

Vanillalite

Looking pretty good :p I shall try to take a pic next time i play tekken U never been to my stats.

I cheese for sure, and I can tell when I play someone good I get owned.

That being said at least I've won more than I've lost!

PS: Now how to whore myself out for $65 bucks to get the fightstick so I don't feel guilty spending more cash after I just bought a new car.

GrayFoxPL

We tested the connection with Sasuke. Thanks man. Pretty great 4-5 bars. Seems any issues with other players may be their connection?

Also my new dumb team Alex - P.Jack is doing stupid things and I don't know any decent combos. Though Alex has Larseseses df+2 - totally overpowered.

sasuke_91

We tested the connection with Sasuke. Thanks man. Pretty great 4-5 bars. Seems any issues with other players may be their connection?
Except for me having to invite you twice before it works, the connection was pretty much perfect.

Also my new dumb team Alex - P.Jack is doing stupid things and I don't know any decent combos. Though Alex has Larseseses df+2 - totally overpowered.
That team is just weird. I don't know anything about them because nobody really uses them :D
You never really know if Alex is going for a high attack or a low one. I got hit everytime I thought I could duck an attack xD

GrayFoxPL

Except for me having to invite you twice before it works, the connection was pretty much perfect.

That team is just weird. I don't know anything about them because nobody really uses them :D
You never really know if Alex is going for a high attack or a low one. I got hit everytime I thought I could duck an attack xD

Alex has this one cheap string b+2,3,3+4. No one can block it because the animation is so wonky you don't know what you're looking at. But I think it's high,low,mid, if you block the low tail you can launch Alex.

Edit: I'm not sure how invites work, but maybe if you sent second invite the first is invalid? Like I use first invite then in syncs for long time and "Can't connect to host" or something like that, then your second invite comes and I can join. Maybe we'll try next time if you wait 20 seconds before sending next invite, maybe it's too fast. Or just first invite doesn't work on me, lol.

m0t0k1

I cheese for sure, and I can tell when I play someone good I get owned.

That being said at least I've won more than I've lost!

PS: Now how to whore myself out for $65 bucks to get the fightstick so I don't feel guilty spending more cash after I just bought a new car.

Haha i live in a small country so i don't know anybody who uses a fight stick only some guys with a fightpad but really hard to get here. Here is my picture. I used to be arround 70% win rate online but now people start to actually block :p i excuse for the dirty wiipad :lol

tekkenuqnjbr.jpg

sasuke_91

Edit: I'm not sure how invites work, but maybe if you sent second invite the first is invalid? Like I use first invite then in syncs for long time and "Can't connect to host" or something like that, then your second invite comes and I can join. Maybe we'll try next time if you wait 20 seconds before sending next invite, maybe it's too fast. Or just first invite doesn't work on me, lol.

Didn't see the edit until now.
It's not just a problem I have when I invite you, it's pretty much everyone who wants to join the lobby.
I send you an invite and wait until you enter the lobby. It says you're connected, and after ~10 seconds it says you left the lobby. Then I send a second invite.
Other games work just fine. It's only Tekken that doesn't seem to want to work, which is why I asked about the ports. Although, if I have DMZ enabled, Port-Forwarding shouldn't be necessary anymore, should it?

@m0t0k1: A Xiao-user. Way to go!

GrayFoxPL

It's not just a problem I have when I invite you, it's pretty much everyone who wants to join the lobby.
I send you an invite and wait until you enter the lobby. It says you're connected, and after ~10 seconds it says you left the lobby. Then I send a second invite.
Other games work just fine. It's only Tekken that doesn't seem to want to work, which is why I asked about the ports. Although, if I have DMZ enabled, Port-Forwarding shouldn't be necessary anymore, should it?

Oh it says I'm in the lobby? I never see it the first time trying to get in.

I think I know what is happening.

I read about DMZ quite a lot and it's not as good as it supposed to be. Depending on a router it's just too slow while opening them. Initially ports are closed then game ask for port entry then router opens it through DMZ, but if it's not instant the game will think it's closed at the time.
Probably that's why I can get the second time when the port is already open. I'm just guessing.

But yeah opening ports manually is bit better since they're always open and not asked to be open. I googled ps3 online ports, psn ports, tekken dr,6, tag 2 ports and put everything I could find and more, thousands of them to be sure on my old routers, lol.

That new router seems to open ports in a flash without my help, so I think I don't have to do that again.

m0t0k1

Well my Ling needs a lot of work. I still cant do juggles well with her with refersing stances etc. Also relying way to much on her phoenix stance to catch people not knowing what Ling is about. A lot since nobody on wii u knows how to play tekken including me :p. I used to had Jin as her partner but couldn't find any good tag combo's so i switched to my old main from tekken 6 Alisa. down back 3 has been nerfed yo!

GrayFoxPL

Well my Ling needs a lot of work. I still cant do juggles well with her with refersing stances etc. Also relying way to much on her phoenix stance to catch people not knowing what Ling is about. A lot since nobody on wii u knows how to play tekken including me :p. I used to had Jin as her partner but couldn't find any good tag combo's so i switched to my old main from tekken 6 Alisa. down back 3 has been nerfed yo!

Sasuke has a solid Ling. The other day he caught me in backturn setup and my Jin lost 70% of health, I was like: "Jin get the fuck out!" mashing tag because the wall was coming, lol.

m0t0k1

Sasuke has a solid Ling. The other day he caught me in backturn setup and my Jin lost 70% of health, I was like: "Jin get the fuck out!" mashing tag because the wall was coming, lol.

Yeah i have seen some great lings online. I wish i was as good as them, but these days i have so many games and work to be done that when i come home i play a couple of offline matches and prepare dinner and be done. So i am really a beginner when it comes to tekken, but i really enjoy playing fighting games. I only win because i watch some streams and see what is punishable(is that a word) and profit from it + not a lot of people are good at blocking on wii u. There are some really cool combo and mix ups with ling. Sasuke do you have some matches i could watch that you played? love to see a good ling in action

Top Bottom