• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

GrayFoxPL

Good games GrayFoxPL and Doomshine.

I like your new team, GrayFox. Your pressure with Hwoarang is really good, especially at a wall. His combos need practice, if you don't know what to do, just go with 4,4,3. It's pretty decent with tag combos, otherwise you're too far away to really do anything other than RFF ff3.
4,4,3 also pretty much works with every launcher... b3, df2. Sky rocket? Backdash and do 3~4, 4,4,3 B!. JFSR? 3+4 (switch stance), RFF 3~4, dash forward, 4,4,3 B!

Haha^^ Doomshine plays really up close and fucks up the spacing I need to do proper JFSR. When I'm cornered I can't do anything. I'm also afraid to whiff anything against him. That whiff punishing...
I almost cried when I dropped that combo with Xiaoyu... I would have won D:

Thanks man. I was pretty decent with Hwo in T6 and before, now it seems that was too long ago. I can't even hit switch stance, 3~4 off of sky rocket and I had this memorized in old Tekkens. Now poor 3,4 comes out :p.
4,4,3 is really good for bounding, but I have some trouble pulling it off so I do 2,4,3 this hits too but with bad timing it whiffs. I gotta try to make new pad work, this one is just falling apart. Bad buttons, df comes out in 2-4 different frames that makes electrics random or near impossible, up = ub, etc.

I was hoping I get this down:
mad_dog_jin__hwo__vs_doo_han_baek__bae__100118_03__by_ribbonpl-d7nxdk1.gif

But
1 - They removed old RFS d+4,3 so you can't loop it back to flamingo.
2 - I'm shit.

Still, if I could do 1/4 of that pressure loop I'd feel like a king.

This is MDJ btw.

I wonder if this combo is doable online. What do you think?:

ip5QF5gz8S1yp.gif

Yeah about Doomshine. This his aggressive aura is paralyzing. Probably that was how samurai fought. They made opponent shit their pants with the stare alone. The stare!

But think about it this way: JFSR is -10/-11, at worst you'll eat 10 frame jabs if you do it in his face. So what's worse: trying this or waiting for him to wind up his pressure and steamroll over you, and me.

I think I'm at the point that against Doom you either die blocking or die trying to fight back. To the end!

Doom is a pro so he rarely blocks low, that's how I won that only fight - Jin's cd4 to death. Hey, at least once it worked, lol.

sasuke_91

ip5QF5gz8S1yp.gif

Uwoah, that's some high execution stuff. Maybe AAK knows more^^

About that RFS d4,3... it feels like he got nerfed a bit, but the new move is okay I guess.
You now have to manually switch back to LFS. Some people take that opportunity and let you eat some jabs :p
I love that Hwoarang wall pressure. It looks so cool. Still can't really pull that off.

Watching that video also makes me remember that I really wasn't a good Hwo player (or Tekken-player in general) back then^^
I never got past Master (or was it Grand Master?) in Tekken 6. Lost against 3rd/4th Dan a lot, too...

My pad feels like it won't live very long... Dropped a combo or two because square didn't respond properly :/

I think I'll just use some super agressive mix up against Doomshine. I still hate Zafina and Dragunov, but I'll do something against that.

@boutdown: That was a Marauder/2nd Dan! You lied to us! Great matches though :D

GrayFoxPL

Uwoah, that's some high execution stuff. Maybe AAK knows more^^

About that RFS d4,3... it feels like he got nerfed a bit, but the new move is okay I guess.
You now have to manually switch back to LFS. Some people take that opportunity and let you eat some jabs :p
I love that Hwoarang wall pressure. It looks so cool. Still can't really pull that off.

Watching that video also makes me remember that I really wasn't a good Hwo player (or Tekken-player in general) back then^^
I never got past Master (or was it Grand Master?) in Tekken 6. Lost against 3rd/4th Dan a lot, too...

My pad feels like it won't live very long... Dropped a combo or two because square didn't respond properly :/

I think I'll just use some super agressive mix up against Doomshine. I still hate Zafina and Dragunov, but I'll do something against that.

@boutdown: That was a Marauder/2nd Dan! You lied to us! Great matches though :D

In Tekken 6 online you had to be a wizard and predict a low is coming a second in advance. That was skill. :D.

The MDJ juggle where he goes rff 3~4 into flamingo cancel into into 2,b+4 is done so quick it must be muscle memory. Mad.

sasuke_91

In Tekken 6 online you had to be a wizard and predict a low is coming a second in advance. That was skill. :D.

The MDJ juggle where he goes rff 3~4 into flamingo cancel into into 2,b+4 is done so quick it must be muscle memory. Mad.

Yeah, Tekken 6 Online was really bad, especially at the end. Random disconnects everytime.

Now I'm curious. I wanna try that combo^^
I think I'll go to practice mode for a few hours tommorow :p

AZUMIKE

Soo I think this video is relevant to future Tekken titles. I think it had a thread recently on GAF as well. Anyways it highlights single-player as an avenue on which newcomers can learn the game. Fight lab, while helpful, didn't seem quite effective or efficient. But I don't know, how should the developers go about teaching Tekken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_xG1Yg_QoM

DEATH™

Got that Warrior rank.

It took me 3, fucking, hours.

And my promo match, was a Brawler/2 dan.

WTF? All of those double Berzerkers and Warriors I beat the shit out of, and my promo match is a Brawler? C'mon son

Famicom, Elza, dropkick get at me. I have joined you all.

thumbsupcomputerkid.gif

Now get to Orange Ranks.

(Let's race lol)

Soo I think this video is relevant to future Tekken titles. I think it had a thread recently on GAF as well. Anyways it highlights single-player as an avenue on which newcomers can learn the game. Fight lab, while helpful, didn't seem quite effective or efficient. But I don't know, how should the developers go about teaching Tekken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_xG1Yg_QoM

I agree to this. I do think that dumbing down the game (deleting chars, shrinking movelist, simplifying the engine) is a bad idea because even if you make a dumbed down game, people will not only bother to understand them without a scene to motivate them, it turns them more into viewers rather than participants, and the pros will beat them up hard anyway while the enthusiasts isn't satisfied with the game/get bored quicker.

Yeah, single player is the way to go. If Tekken can make a long campaign where it actually show you how the game work in small bits, that will be awesome. Fight Lab is a step in the right direction, but it needs to be better.

(I actually dream about designing this campaign myself lol. I would do a MK9 style campaign going to all the characters plus some stipulations for some stages, ala SFA3 World Tour, with some Scenario Campaign style stages here and there. Example, Asuka's final boss is only gonna take damage through reversals and punishes, same thing with Zaf and crushing. And make a throwbreak minigame with King and AK as opponents mwahahahaha).

Manbig

GGs to Boutdown and Tera.

My execution has been on a whole new level of bad. I keep getting caught triple backdashing by those WS launchers that move the character forward and I tried to get fancy with some crush moves with my back to the wall vs Tera and it just was not happening. Even when I try to do a simple Marduk f1+2 for tracking or a Dragunov b1+2 for bound and wall pressure, I end up getting Marduk Jabs and Dragunov b1,2 instead. The worst thing about mistakes like these is that Tera kept launching me for doing them, so good on you for that one. You just gotta stop letting me get away with dumb stuff like spamming mid, high strings and then I probably won't be able to beat you at all.

On another note, I'm very happy to see that the two of you have improved tremendously. Actually punishing me for a lot of my mistakes (and there are a lot of them) and a lot less freezing up when being pressured. I'll be sure to get back on my groove soon enough to give you guys more of a challenge.

AZUMIKE

DEATH™;118279910 said:
(I actually dream about designing this campaign myself lol. I would do a MK9 style campaign going to all the characters plus some stipulations for some stages, ala SFA3 World Tour, with some Scenario Campaign style stages here and there. Example, Asuka's final boss is only gonna take damage through reversals and punishes, same thing with Zaf and crushing. And make a throwbreak minigame with King and AK as opponents mwahahahaha).

Not a bad idea! Would actually help in getting to know a character's strengths (and subsequently their weaknesses).

sasuke_91

Good games boutdown. Kept getting disconnects, even when fighting that other guy although he was displayed as 3-4 bars.

I'm really confident with my Hwo/Steve team at the moment. Kept winning against Warriors/Avengers in player matches. Had some really great fights.
My other teams suffer though. My Xiaoyu gameplay is really sloppy right now. Maybe I'll concentrate a bit more on her and Lee.

AAK

Congrats on the promotion! Just need to comment on one major thing: your 2 losses against that player starting here. That dude just went ham, the best thing was just to back away and let him kill himself which you did in some instances, but he did catch up to you. A couple main things you have to remember about Jin:

1. You fell for Jin's CDS stance quite a few times. Just remember to block any of the mids and punish them, if he does the low sweep, it's slow so just wait for it and react to block it. Thank you to Manny for teaching me that.
2. Jin's 1,2,3 and 1,2,4 are not legit mixups. Down jab will bit the kicks from both options.

ip5QF5gz8S1yp.gif

The key is to sidestep right.... but the follow up demands you have perfect awareness of the surroundings haha. And yeah, the timing of the RFF 3~4~f,2 is annoying. I've only gotten it a couple of times. But in TTT2 if I'm going for a tag assault, it's much easier to just do RFF f+4~4, u/f,n,4, 4,4,3~5 into whatever. But or solo damage, yeah, going for the backlash is max damage. JustFrameJames found out a way to do the backlash combo without the sidestep... I've never accomplished it.

But think about it this way: JFSR is -10/-11, at worst you'll eat 10 frame jabs if you do it in his face. So what's worse: trying this or waiting for him to wind up his pressure and steamroll over you, and me.

Only Jack I believe can punish Hwoarang's JFSR. But remember JFSR from RFF is -12~-13. So characters with long range 12 frame punishers like Bob, Lars, etc. can punish Hwoarang consistently from that.

Hey Sayah...

XFqlt

Obligatory:

tumblr_n7p2dwoloH1qfx8mjo1_1280.jpg

Sayah

^
LOL

Also, Congrats bout. :) Keep going higher.

This is from an old Grayfox post but I wish this was a win taunt in TTT2, haha.

i7MERfyqFpPFZ.gif

GrayFoxPL

Thanks AAK. I got the sidestep 2,4 2 backlash to connect few times but I don't know if the sidestep must be deep enough or the jabs early. I guess both, lol. Very hard.

sasuke_91

The key is to sidestep right.... but the follow up demands you have perfect awareness of the surroundings haha. And yeah, the timing of the RFF 3~4~f,2 is annoying. I've only gotten it a couple of times. But in TTT2 if I'm going for a tag assault, it's much easier to just do RFF f+4~4, u/f,n,4, 4,4,3~5 into whatever. But or solo damage, yeah, going for the backlash is max damage. JustFrameJames found out a way to do the backlash combo without the sidestep... I've never accomplished it.

Hehe 4,4,3 again^^
I tried that combo a few times. Never got the timing for RFF 3~4 right, always whiffed. Maybe I'll get it down after some hours, but I don't even know if it's worth it.

Only Jack I believe can punish Hwoarang's JFSR. But remember JFSR from RFF is -12~-13. So characters with long range 12 frame punishers like Bob, Lars, etc. can punish Hwoarang consistently from that.

People on my rank rarely punish stuff like that (or punish at all). I could just spam JFSR into their faces and even get some counterhits... if my execution was perfect.
Deals some insane damage though. About 110 damage with Steve as a partner if I do the whole combo.

So I had my first offline session today. There's apparently a small scene in Oklahoma that gathers just 5 minutes away from my apartment, and is a 10 minute walk from the dorms I stayed at. Raybonekilla lives there, and he has a Mishima team that's pretty good.

There are other decent players there that I have actually played online with, they instantly recognized my online handle, and told me that they have sent me hate mail at some point.

Offline and Online are worlds apart, and you need some time to get use to all the crazy timing, On the other hand, blocking stuff has never been easier.

Just a pretty wacky (in a good way) and somewhat sad experience all around. I wish I knew about them when I lived in the area.

AAK

^^
Like Famicom said, playing long sets is absolutely incredible. And playing a long set offline where without a shadow of a doubt you are the one in complete control (barring the Barcelona stage) you enter a beautiful world of zen gaming ;)

On that note I'll be online soon. Anyone wanna play? Gonna be traveling tomorrow so i won't be near my ps3 for a while. Gonna get my Tekken fill satiated before the withdrawal symptoms kick in.

AAK

Yeah, my bad, just got online now.

But that sounds good! Definitely go if you have the time. As fun as Tekken is, it's another thing when you meet fellow human beings in the flesh that have as much passion as you. The same guy who eliminates me from every tournament I've been to (Rami) is now a close friend.

AAK

GG's today guys! I finally managed to get a connection against Famicom today :D But the connection was still lackluster :( And of coarse the surprise appearance by devastator! Man, I was super impressed by your Jun. I rarely see anyone use her properly but you were confirming things and using her b+2,4 to prevent me from ducking so nicely. It was a lot of fun! And both of your Miguels man... I know nothing about the character. I kept blocking the knee into the high (I think it's d/f+4,1)... gotta remember to duck the second hit or else I'll have to take the mid low mixup after! Also great reaction devastator, you blocked a lot of lows and broke a lot of throws that set! Tournament level material
...You should have gone to NCR that year! :p

Hope you can make it to strong style at least :) I guess you and Death can even have a potential GAF meetup there even.

Good games Famicom and AAK. I'm sure all those desperation cancans were annoying =) Apologies if there were some lag spikes and sorry about that Leo/Jun match lol. I had to let my dogs out really quick and didnt make it on time to pick my characters.

GG's today guys! I finally managed to get a connection against Famicom today :D But the connection was still lackluster :( And of coarse the surprise appearance by devastator! Man, I was super impressed by your Jun. I rarely see anyone use her properly but you were confirming things and using her b+2,4 to prevent me from ducking so nicely. It was a lot of fun! And both of your Miguels man... I know nothing about the character. I kept blocking the knee into the high (I think it's d/f+4,1)... gotta remember to duck the second hit or else I'll have to take the mid low mixup after! Also great reaction devastator, you blocked a lot of lows and broke a lot of throws that set! Tournament level material
...You should have gone to NCR that year! :p/spoiler]

Hope you can make it to strong style at least :) I guess you and Death can even have a potential GAF meetup there even.
Thanks for all the compliments! I still can't do anything against your Devil Jin and Christie team though. I know you know your stuff when it comes to ducking high strings so I like using b+2,3. Only problem is it is lauch punishable on block so its a bit of a gamble. Most Jun's I've faced rarely use her properly as well (I still lose to them though.)

You talking about the year Naps won at NCR? Man you're right I should have went to that one. I was terrible at the time but there was a ton of terrible players on the stream, I honestly believe I could have made top 8 haha.

I still havent registered for Strong Style yet but I'm pretty sure I'll be there. I expect to go 0-for but none of that matters as its gonna be a super fun event.

P.S. Julia swimsuit, so pretty <3 Swimsuits better be a mainstay in Tekken from now on.

AAK

I still havent registered for Strong Style yet but I'm pretty sure I'll be there. I expect to go 0-for but none of that matters as its gonna be a super fun event.

That's actually the best part about Strong style, it won't be the regular tournament format. There will be a bunch of pools, and you have to play against EVERY player in the pool round robin style. The top 2 players of each pool will advance. Hence there is no 0-2 business, you get to play against and test your skill against a whole lot of players. Hopefully everything will be 3/5 as well. That would be so sick.

Don't know how much people actually care but we had some pretty intensive sets yesterday and the day before.

Uploaded one of the sets to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CIEKQgVFh4

If anyone cares to see intermediate Tekken play with Finnish commentary that is.

Dang that Yoshi/Nina team is crazy! 2 of the hardest characters in the game. Major props to that player. Does killerdoll still play? I was a huge fan of him back in T6.

Fraeon

Killerdoll has been somewhat inactive lately. Still comes to tournaments but doesn't really engage with the community all that much. From what I know he still plays, though. Plays Marduk/Bryan from what I saw of him the last tournament.

That aside, the community for Tekken here is slowly growing, we have a bunch of new players in places like Pori and Helsinki and this Kuba guy we played with yesterday is also a fairly recent player we got. The main problem is that Finland is a pretty big country geographically but a fairly small country population-wise. You have 2 guys here, 2 guys there, maybe 8 elsewhere, so it's mostly online and the rare big local that we all come together.

sasuke_91

s7bBBgr.jpg

I HAVE A DREAM

THAT ONE DAY, ALL OF TEKKEN GAF

CAN GATHER IN ONE ROOM

AND PLAY OFFLINE TEKKEN, ALL DAY, AND ALL NIGHT
You, sir, are a genius.

It would be really great to play with no lag against some of you. I don't play a lot of offline Tekken, so that would be some cool experience.

sasuke_91

It depends on the character. If I manage to pull off Hwoarang's JFSR, even the solo combo would give your second character rage, so I just go with a tag assault. Then there's characters like Xiaoyu, where I go with different combos for solo or tag. If I accidently do the wrong one, I'll just go with it...
I normally try to not do a tag assault immediately after the round starts. one character with rage and the other one who recovers 70% of his lifebar are too scary^^

Squire

Banned
Hey guys! I haven't played Tekken since 5 and I'm thinking about finally getting TTT2 on PS3. I'm not really good or anything, so I just play casually like most fighters. Just mess around and try to learn what moves I can. I was wondering, does this game have an awful boss character in arcade/story mode? Anything like Jinpachi?

MikeMyers

Hey guys! I haven't played Tekken since 5 and I'm thinking about finally getting TTT2 on PS3. I'm not really good or anything, so I just play casually like most fighters. Just mess around and try to learn what moves I can. I was wondering, does this game have an awful boss character in arcade/story mode? Anything like Jinpachi?

The boss is Unknown, from the first Tekken Tag Tournament game.

GrayFoxPL

Jun then Unknown is not close as assholish as Jinpachi but Jun likes to counter a lot.
So use elbows, knees, shoulders and lows against her.

Unkown uses hand of doom often when she knocks you down. Roll to the side and you can hit her with unblocable even. Just never touch the pillar of light.

Just a basic strategy so you don't get frustrated.

GrayFoxPL

Watched that SEAM archive. I didn't even know there was a stream.

Damn. This AK doesn't stop to amaze me. I imagine bunch of Tekken veterans are working with him day and night.

Book then was like "I have a Lars too you little shit!" and went to town. But those reads and Jin's parries were sick.

Top Bottom