• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

Secondary Stream will show pools from 10-12 PST
Secondary Stream will then show semi finals from 2-4 PST
Main Stream will then show Top 8 from 4-6 PST

Stream links will be on IGN's site during evolution. Should be cool :)

Secondary Stream will show pools from 10-12 PST
Secondary Stream will then show semi finals from 2-4 PST
Main Stream will then show Top 8 from 4-6 PST

Stream links will be on IGN's site during evolution. Should be cool :)

Pools in general or will there be a stream per game?

av2k

There are TONS of setups and such that are character specific that have been tinkered with. You can get a small glimpse of them in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiey77sp7cI

As for general tactics, there are 2 potentially game breaking things but no one has experimented it thorughly yet:

1) Holding down the Tag Buttons affects tracking on certain bound moves

2) Character properties change depending on whether they're on 1P or 2P, primary or secondary character.

Lol that might be too advance for me for the little time I have to practice, haha! Thanks though, highly interesting. Reminds me of the old tag days where pressing tag with ewgf makes it a special mid.

AAK

Pools in general or will there be a stream per game?

Nope there are only 2 streams that will cycle through different games every 2 hours. The times when Tekken will get stream time are the ones I posted. Once the EVO2014 |OT| is posted by Kadey, she'll have the stream links, I'll repost them here too for anyone that misses it. So to answer your question, It's just going to showcase random matches accross the 10 PM pools. We'll miss some matches from the 12 PM pools but we'll get to see some of the top 32 during the semi-finals hopefully.

Dereck

Over time I'm noticing that player match lobbies, regardless of the ranks of the people involved in them, are getting a bit silly. The only serious Tekken I can receive is usually from people on my friends list.

Whoever is up for concentrated Tekken just add me to their friends list and let me know when you want to play.

ID: legsock

Nope there are only 2 streams that will cycle through different games every 2 hours. The times when Tekken will get stream time are the ones I posted. Once the EVO2014 |OT| is posted by Kadey, she'll have the stream links, I'll repost them here too for anyone that misses it. So to answer your question, It's just going to showcase random matches accross the 10 PM pools. We'll miss some matches from the 12 PM pools but we'll get to see some of the top 32 during the semi-finals hopefully.

Well Tekken starts 8AM with Injustice, Ultra and Smash. Hopefully you will get to see some tekken on stream beyond the Top8 :D

sasuke_91

I really love Xiaoyu, but it's so hard to get anything done with her sometimes, because she's not a straight forward character. You have to play around so much to get any damage out of her. Went to ranked again and played against a Kazuya/Jin team. That guy hellsweeped the shit out of me when he realized he's losing, but of course I'm the spammer when I use SS3 twice in one round...

And Good Games UltWarrior1. I really enjoy the matches against you. I was really surprised at how often you ducked my attacks and launched me with Kazuya's WS2. That was great.

sasuke_91

Yeah man good games, dude keep using STE-HWO, that team is SO cool lol.

Haha thanks, you really seem to like those characters^^

I invested quite some time in that Hwoarang. I should do the same with Steve, I rely too much on his b1 or f3,2 counter hits. I also want to focus a bit more on my Ling/Lee team. I guess my Ling is not bad, but she's not as good as she could be :p
My Lee is not really good compared to boutdown's or GrayFoxPL's Lee. I have to make him a bit more dangerous^^

Doomshine

lol, what the hell.

Brpr6UXIUAEMNlR.jpg

GrayFoxPL

Dat Raven piggy, lol.

I have my little nephew on vacation here, so I can't really play much Tekken, I can't focus with the little guy asking questions during fight. But he finds air throws funny, lol.

But anyway.

Does Steve's b+1 crush highs? I swear I attack Steve on frame advantage like hit 1 or 1,2 and I still get ch with b+1. What is going on?

AAK

Dang, how did we miss this, from TTT2 Vanilla:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCwS513en6Y

That has to be the funniest bug I've ever seen lol.

You'll be on YouTube by tomorrow av2k.

Nice, you got to play Av2K. I believe UK's shadowforce was the one who said this, but fighting against Mishima's is the best way to actually get better at legitimate Tekken. They don't use all these gimmicks but have insanely strong tools (although executionally hard to pull off) so you're forced to respect them and learn proper Tekken to play against them. Something I somewhat agree with.

Dereck

Nice, you got to play Av2K. I believe UK's shadowforce was the one who said this, but fighting against Mishima's is the best way to actually get better at legitimate Tekken. They don't use all these gimmicks but have insanely strong tools (although executionally hard to pull off) so you're forced to respect them and learn proper Tekken to play against them. Something I somewhat agree with.
Well, that's what happened.

Yesterday I was watching The Game play KOR and Kodee. I was wondering why in the shit was his Law such a pussy. He wouldn't do anything.

Then I realized that, you can't really party (aris's term), with Law against Mishima's, or in a tournament. When I was watching WNF, and I watch JFJ and Rip play against each other and other players, I don't understand why they limit their moveset.

Now I know why. Like, I could feel JFJ's playstyle start to come out the longer I played with av2k. What is the best move to use at this exact moment? My level of execution is unsurprisingly and proverbially low, but playing against av2k kind of opened my eyes. Sometimes when I play GAF, I get wasted and now I'm starting to understand why. Very good day for me when it comes to Tekken.

av2k to me is a preview of how tournament matches would go.

I can beat av2k, but only a few times, because of reasons.

- He doesn't do mixups, just because he does a low, doesn't mean he won't do it again if it lands.

- His tag in parrying was tough to deal with, after awhile I found ways to punish it/avoid it.

- He sidesteps and then launches, I'm not use to that.

- At first I thought he was just randomly ducking, but how could ducking and then launching a high be random? Mids are underrated

- I know how to punish, and space properly, turtle, etc. But against av2k it seemed like he was a step ahead of me.

- EWGF is annoying to deal with, Hei's ff+2 is annoying to deal with.

- Small mistakes cost me a lot

- av2k doesn't seem to give a shit that he's about to die, that doesn't mean that you start to panic, as long as you're alive, you can still win

- When I won matches, I felt like I deserved them, and that I did not win by coincidence

- I would like to play av2k offline

- The most intriguing yet irritating part about Tekken, is when in your mind, you've overcome certain obstacles, and certain setups that people like to use. Then, when that setup comes out, I'm not ready, and I fall for it, only because I wasn't ready. Well guess what? The opponent doesn't fucking care if you're ready or not.

Look at people's faces in tournaments when they fall for setups, they look disappointed in themselves because they know exactly how to beat the setup, but when it happened, their first reaction was to fall for it. I know that feel bro.

While those av2k matches are uploading, you guys can check out some matches I just uploaded with a guy a met while playing Setnomessej. He's a Jin/Hwo player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgVWD0mjfD4

AAK

I think that's definitely possible considering you guys live in bordering states ;)

EDIT: Jeez NVM, Texas is frickin huge, it's over a 12 hour ride between Houston and New Mexico haha.

ON that topic, there might be a chance I'll be able to travel to the US assuming some passport & VISA stuff gets sorted out. Because I'm a Pakistani national it probably won't be sorted out before Strong Style but I'll try to make a commitment to at least go to KiT assuming everything gets sorted out.

m0t0k1

Haha thanks, you really seem to like those characters^^

I invested quite some time in that Hwoarang. I should do the same with Steve, I rely too much on his b1 or f3,2 counter hits. I also want to focus a bit more on my Ling/Lee team. I guess my Ling is not bad, but she's not as good as she could be :p
My Lee is not really good compared to boutdown's or GrayFoxPL's Lee. I have to make him a bit more dangerous^^

Yeah for a tekken starter like me who still does not really understand all the mechanics Ling is really hard to play because you need a good lot of combo's to get some damage out of her. But yeah having an Alisa/Ling team i am sure not to do much damage at all. One thing i really having troubles with are getting of the ground. Is there a way to block low when on the ground? I can't get off the ground against a scrubby Lilly because she keeps hitting me low. Only when i do a tag i get out but because she knows its coming i am bound to get bound on entering.

sasuke_91

40 seconds in, PERFECT!^^
Great matches! That instant backdash -> EWGF or sidestep -> EWGF was so damn cool!
I will definitely root for you, av2k :D

Yeah for a tekken starter like me who still does not really understand all the mechanics Ling is really hard to play because you need a good lot of combo's to get some damage out of her. But yeah having an Alisa/Ling team i am sure not to do much damage at all. One thing i really having troubles with are getting of the ground. Is there a way to block low when on the ground? I can't get off the ground against a scrubby Lilly because she keeps hitting me low. Only when i do a tag i get out but because she knows its coming i am bound to get bound on entering.

Well, you can. Just hold d/b when you're on the ground and your character will stand up blocking low.
Only recommendable in some rare cases though.

EDIT:
Does Steve's b+1 crush highs? I swear I attack Steve on frame advantage like hit 1 or 1,2 and I still get ch with b+1. What is going on?

Yeah, I also noticed that Steve's b1 connects more often than it should.
Would be pretty amazing if it does crush highs :p

m0t0k1

Well, you can. Just hold d/b when you're on the ground and your character will stand up blocking low.

Thanks i still need to understand the wake up options so i will hit the practice room with that soon.

joeblow

Steve's b+1 was better in T6. Now the recovery is longer on whiff, and its reach got nerfed.

It's still a great attack, but I wonder why Namco didn't give it some exotic name like a lot of other powerful moves like Sky Rocket kick and Demolition Man instead of simply "Quick Hook". =/

av2k

Well, that's what happened.

Yesterday I was watching The Game play KOR and Kodee. I was wondering why in the shit was his Law such a pussy. He wouldn't do anything.

Then I realized that, you can't really party (aris's term), with Law against Mishima's, or in a tournament. When I was watching WNF, and I watch JFJ and Rip play against each other and other players, I don't understand why they limit their moveset.

Now I know why. Like, I could feel JFJ's playstyle start to come out the longer I played with av2k. What is the best move to use at this exact moment? My level of execution is unsurprisingly and proverbially low, but playing against av2k kind of opened my eyes. Sometimes when I play GAF, I get wasted and now I'm starting to understand why. Very good day for me when it comes to Tekken.

av2k to me is a preview of how tournament matches would go.

I can beat av2k, but only a few times, because of reasons.

- He doesn't do mixups, just because he does a low, doesn't mean he won't do it again if it lands.

- His tag in parrying was tough to deal with, after awhile I found ways to punish it/avoid it.

- He sidesteps and then launches, I'm not use to that.

- At first I thought he was just randomly ducking, but how could ducking and then launching a high be random? Mids are underrated

- I know how to punish, and space properly, turtle, etc. But against av2k it seemed like he was a step ahead of me.

- EWGF is annoying to deal with, Hei's ff+2 is annoying to deal with.

- Small mistakes cost me a lot

- av2k doesn't seem to give a shit that he's about to die, that doesn't mean that you start to panic, as long as you're alive, you can still win

- When I won matches, I felt like I deserved them, and that I did not win by coincidence

- The most intriguing yet irritating part about Tekken, is when in your mind, you've overcome certain obstacles, and certain setups that people like to use. Then, when that setup comes out, I'm not ready, and I fall for it, only because I wasn't ready. Well guess what? The opponent doesn't fucking care if you're ready or not.

Look at people's faces in tournaments when they fall for setups, they look disappointed in themselves because they know exactly how to beat the setup, but when it happened, their first reaction was to fall for it. I know that feel bro.

While those av2k matches are uploading, you guys can check out some matches I just uploaded with a guy a met while playing Setnomessej. He's a Jin/Hwo player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgVWD0mjfD4

Pretty good observations! I agree with all of your points. Thanks for getting me back into shape, it's been a LONG time since I've played someone good lol. I'd like to play more gaffers if possible, shaking off the 2 year rust isn't going to be easy by next weekend.

40 seconds in, PERFECT!^^
Great matches! That instant backdash -> EWGF or sidestep -> EWGF was so damn cool!
I will definitely root for you, av2k :D

EDIT:

Yeah, I also noticed that Steve's b1 connects more often than it should.
Would be pretty amazing if it does crush highs :p

Thanks Sasuke_91! I really appreciate that, I like to put on a show more than anything. :)

Are you the same av from Tekken Zaibatsu?

Indeedy, I am! :D Are you a member there as well?

------

I'd like to play more of you guys sometime, please add me so I can get back into fighting condition! :D

Pretty good observations! I agree with all of your points. Thanks for getting me back into shape, it's been a LONG time since I've played someone good lol. I'd like to play more gaffers if possible, shaking off the 2 year rust isn't going to be easy by next weekend.

Thanks Sasuke_91! I really appreciate that, I like to put on a show more than anything. :)

Indeedy, I am! :D Are you a member there as well?

------

I'd like to play more of you guys sometime, please add me so I can get back into fighting condition! :D

Yep! I am Tera Reflection there, but I don't post much.

av2k

Where are you from? I think Germany's too far away, isn't it...

Ah hah, unfortunately it is, I'm from Texas. :(

Yep! I am Tera Reflection there, but I don't post much.

Ah nice! Yeah, nobody really posts there anymore I'm afraid. Oh well.

---

One last thing, if we're going to play, please inform me that if I'm going to be recorded or not. I play much differently when I know I'm going to be uploaded for others to see. hah ^_^

AAK

You simply tap u, and then quickly start holding D/B. Of coarse if Lili still hits you during the getup animation you'll be floated up into a juggle state. If you want to instantly block while quickly getting up you tech roll into blocking mid or low. BUT you can't tech roll for moves that spike you on the ground and such.

I think Rip,MYK,&TRUE! did a relatively comprehensive job explaining the getup system here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7Z53XPjV4&t=7m29s

and they tried again with TTT2 and a bit more refined:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23HuTEhTdc

Hope that helps.

av2k

Okay, no chance :(
You wouldn't benefit too much from playing against me anyway^^

Believe it or not, it's not about that for me, I like to have fun and play. That's part of the reason I retired a couple of years ago, competitive tekken on a tournament level for me personally is very draining (I don't take stress well). I LOVE teaching people tekken more than actually playing it myself.

sasuke_91

Believe it or not, it's not about that for me, I like to have fun and play. That's part of the reason I retired a couple of years ago, competitive tekken on a tournament level for me personally is very draining (I don't take stress well). I LOVE teaching people tekken more than actually playing it myself.

Oh yeah, I can totally understand that. Playing ranked matches is already almost too much for me, I'd never be able to play in a tournament. Way too much stress :p

DEATH™

Now I wanna play you av. Just sucks though that I need to play select times. Family demands too much. Some of them don't even want me to play despite me doing good in school and doing all responsibilities right just because the stigma agains videogame players are still there... :(

m0t0k1

You simply tap u, and then quickly start holding D/B. Of coarse if Lili still hits you during the getup animation you'll be floated up into a juggle state. If you want to instantly block while quickly getting up you tech roll into blocking mid or low. BUT you can't tech roll for moves that spike you on the ground and such.

I think Rip,MYK,&TRUE! did a relatively comprehensive job explaining the getup system here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7Z53XPjV4&t=7m29s

and they tried again with TTT2 and a bit more refined:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23HuTEhTdc

Hope that helps.

Thanks this is really helpful. I used to backroll a lot during matches because i think i am pretty far away so they won't catch me but that video showed about every character has a move to catch that back roll. I should do some more tech rolls if i have the opportunity.

joeblow

Actually, techroll has its own problems against a good player. Sometimes you should stay down and take a free hit if unsure, or even sideroll to avoid some stuff (which lets you stay down and not be relaunched).

m0t0k1

Actually, techroll has its own problems against a good player. Sometimes you should stay down and take a free hit if unsure, or even sideroll to avoid some stuff (which lets you stay down and not be relaunched).

I really appreciate the advice since my wake up game needs a lot of work. I sometimes just lie on the ground so i don't get caught up by a launch or combo yes and i should take note when to learn to take a hit. But I am not afraid of those encounters yet since i am really a beginner so i won't be moving up the ranks any time soon. I never been good at fighting games but i like to have some fun and love fighting games in general but sadly don't have hundreds of hours to invest in this or any other fighting game. But i like to get the basics down and get a bit better then just pressing buttons to see awesome stuff happen. so i can hold my own against friends who are also complete fighting game beginners or some that are a bit better then that.

joeblow

There is no single perfect solution to getting up safely. You have to read, react and make educated guesses.

Here is a good summary of the pros and cons of all of your options when knocked down.

Dereck

Thanks man, after watching our matches again I realize that I did decently, we should play again.

av2k

Thanks man, after watching our matches again I realize that I did decently, we should play again.

Well to be fair, had I known I was being recorded, I would have not used my brother's big laggy tv and played a bit more seriously. I'll be happy to play you a first to ten recorded though if you're down now that I brought my ps3 home. :)

Super mad I'm not going to evo now, all because of this shirt.
mMqqkSN.png

Sad thing is had Tekken been part of the roster from the start I would have been there. When you're broke 3 months just aint enough time to save up for the trip =(

DEATH™

Super mad I'm not going to evo now, all because of this shirt.
mMqqkSN.png

Sad thing is had Tekken been part of the roster from the start I would have been there. When you're broke 3 months just aint enough time to save up for the trip =(

Me too...

Why do I have to be a broke college student???

Top Bottom