• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Dereck

Don't depress me guys. Harada you don't yank my chain. What was this 2 game announcements in 2014? What was this E3 is no fighting game event regarding question of tekken news?

Seriously kick me in the balls and stomp my head if they don't announce the fucking TxSF on Evo.

The last straw.

sasuke_91

I'll be very disappointed if this is true...
I wouln't mind a TTT2 PS4 1080p remaster with next gen Online and worldwide perfect netcode :D

Why do so many people say that bound makes the game hard? It was the opposite for me and that's the reason I hated T6 (compared to T5) when I first played it...

Bound isn't hard at all least for me, with Jun I bust them out like it's nothing.
Bound can be annoying in a sense you can juggle them like it's nothing as all they can do is wait.

Dereck

Bound can be annoying in a sense you can juggle them like it's nothing as all they can do is wait.
I don't get this argument, because in other fighting games, if you get caught in a combo, you have to wait until the opponent is done, (expect for MK breakers, and combo breakers).

I don't get this argument, because in other fighting games, if you get caught in a combo, you have to wait until the opponent is done, (expect for MK breakers, and combo breakers).

I don't have an issue with combos but I can see the other side. It just seems longer with Tekken depending on how good you are.

Dereck

The only time I'm annoyed by combos in this game is when the combo starts with a low. Really easy to way to start a combo with no high amount of tact to it.

sasuke_91

The only time I'm annoyed by combos in this game is when the combo starts with a low. Really easy to way to start a combo with no high amount of tact to it.

And that's the reason I hate Lei so much^^
Bryan's low is pretty easy to block for example, because it's so slow. It also comes with a high risk, because he's pretty much dead if you block it :p

GrayFoxPL

And that's the reason I hate Lei so much^^
Bryan's low is pretty easy to block for example, because it's so slow. It also comes with a high risk, because he's pretty much dead if you block it :p

Yeah, but snake edge is so low profile it beats shit that you wouldn't believe. I had that one fight and steve's, 3,1 went over Bryan when he did snake edge at the same time and 3,1 hits deep mid.

AAK

There have been known concepts since at least 2012 I remember a Japanese site where allegedly Harada talks about something like Ganryu's daughter as an idea.

So there could be another time jump who knows.

That was Ganmi chan... a scrapped character that Harada would have added to Tekken Revolution if his tweet got retweeted 1,000 times. It missed it quite substantially :p

0KTXU.jpg

http://t.co/MrxYA4UFvy

Didn't stop the fan artists:

What was this 2 game announcements in 2014?

RiseofIncarnatesYo.png

pokken-fighter.png

Saw that yesterday, I wonder what Harada is up to.

Although, TTT2 is soo good, so theres no real rush to announce a new Tekken is there...? When I think of TTT2, I think of it as the pinnacle of the Tekken games thus far. Pretty much every character from the Tekkenverse is in the game, and the mechanics are super balanced (arguably). Not to mention its well polished (customization, Tekken Tunes, Gallery, etc) and has well functioning online modes.

But I again wonder what direction Tekken will go after this. I doubt bounds will return, and I also doubt the next Tekken will have a big roster. So, will the future Tekken be a modified T6 with no bounds and less characters? That's not necessarily bad. I remember on Aris' podcast the idea of having Tekken 7 being "bare boned" (i.e Soul Calibur II). The simplicity could attract newcomers, yet the concept of a solid fighting game would can be maintained.

That said, I don't think the Tekken franchise needs to "move-on". TTT2 is REALLY good lol. However, Bandai-Namco is in the money-making business, so we're likely to see a future title. Due to the largeness and complexity of TTT2, I doubt something like that will be replicated, nor does it need to be. Looking in retrospect TTT2 seemed like a gift for the "hardcore/veterans/mainstayers", essentially those who have known Tekken for years and years. Now that those mainstayers are getting older, I often think of how (or if) Harada might go back to the basics, trying to attract younger, newer audiences. I can see a 13-year old who has not been around Tekken at all, probably won't want to pick up the largeness of TTT2. Its as if TTT2 is an "old mans" game. That's not necessarily bad, but the game/franchise may not survive if its an old mans game ONLY. Its got to appeal to both. And that appeal doesn't have to compromise its integrity as a fighting game.

Honestly, this is my mentality. I want Namco to man up say TEKKEN IS OVER. They can't make Tekken any better than it is now. Any more improvements they make they won't make the money the game deserves. Just make a new IP. Leave Tekken with TTT2, anything else will not reach its level of greatness.

GrayFoxPL

That was Ganmi chan... a scrapped character that Harada would have added to Tekken Revolution if his tweet got retweeted 1,000 times. It missed it quite substantially :p

0KTXU.jpg

http://t.co/MrxYA4UFvy

Didn't stop the fan artists:

RiseofIncarnatesYo.png

pokken-fighter.png

Honestly, this is my mentality. I want Namco to man up say TEKKEN IS OVER. They can't make Tekken any better than it is now. Any more improvements they make they won't make the money the game deserves. Just make a new IP. Leave Tekken with TTT2, anything else will not reach its level of greatness.

Get that arena shit out of my face.

Don't you ever say Tekken is over. Not with a tag game. 1 on 1 or nothing. They can improve everything.

AAK

TTT2 has a 1v1 mode for those that want it. It's all inclusive!

But my lack of faith is stemming from the design decisions Namco made with Tekken Revolution. It's plainly obvious where they're going with the franchise and it's removing so much depth from the game. They added one thing which brought some extra mind games and such with invincibles.... but dear lord the change in oki has me fuming.

Simpler != Improved to me

Sayah

Nah, I want a new Tekken. Very soon, I'm gonna be switching over to Smash Bros. Wii U and I will need a new Tekken to take my interest away from that game.

In the case that Tekken 7 fails, we can always have TTT2 to fall back on. I just hope the TTT2 servers never shut down.

In lieu of a new game announcement, I would be even happier with TTT2 PC edition announcement (Tekken Ball included). Day 1 purchase.

Saw that yesterday, I wonder what Harada is up to.

Although, TTT2 is soo good, so theres no real rush to announce a new Tekken is there...? When I think of TTT2, I think of it as the pinnacle of the Tekken games thus far. Pretty much every character from the Tekkenverse is in the game, and the mechanics are super balanced (arguably). Not to mention its well polished (customization, Tekken Tunes, Gallery, etc) and has well functioning online modes.

But I again wonder what direction Tekken will go after this. I doubt bounds will return, and I also doubt the next Tekken will have a big roster. So, will the future Tekken be a modified T6 with no bounds and less characters? That's not necessarily bad. I remember on Aris' podcast the idea of having Tekken 7 being "bare boned" (i.e Soul Calibur II). The simplicity could attract newcomers, yet the concept of a solid fighting game would can be maintained.

That said, I don't think the Tekken franchise needs to "move-on". TTT2 is REALLY good lol. However, Bandai-Namco is in the money-making business, so we're likely to see a future title. Due to the largeness and complexity of TTT2, I doubt something like that will be replicated, nor does it need to be. Looking in retrospect TTT2 seemed like a gift for the "hardcore/veterans/mainstayers", essentially those who have known Tekken for years and years. Now that those mainstayers are getting older, I often think of how (or if) Harada might go back to the basics, trying to attract younger, newer audiences. I can see a 13-year old who has not been around Tekken at all, probably won't want to pick up the largeness of TTT2. Its as if TTT2 is an "old mans" game. That's not necessarily bad, but the game/franchise may not survive if its an old mans game ONLY. Its got to appeal to both. And that appeal doesn't have to compromise its integrity as a fighting game.

I like bounds, though. :(

AAK

Just because I don't want a new Tekken doesn't mean I don't want a new fighting game with Yuichi Yonemori directing along with the rest of Tekken's development team working on it. ;)

I just don't want the name of Tekken on it because of the lofty expectations I'll then have of the title.

Sayah

If rise of incarnates is the new type of ips they are making, then not sure if I'll have a strong interest. :p

Though, I agree. I would be happy with a new ip. It would have to be done right though.

AAK

Well, Rise of Incarnates doesn't have an offline mode... so I don't really consider that a legit fighting game :p Lag is too much of a factor.

AZUMIKE

LOL, TTT2 indeed has 1v1.

T X SF will prove interesting...if it still exists lol. Wonder what kind of mechanics will be implemented and how the game will feel.... wonder if movement will change in upcoming games. Out of all the things in Tekken that might be tweaked a bit, its quite possibly the movement.

Honestly, I am really beginning to think that Tekken X Sf is vaporware at this point. The longer they take with it, the higher expectations are going to be. When did they first announce it? I love me some TTT2, but I do think it is time for another fighting game from the team. Sometime in 2015 imo would be a great time for the next installment considering TTT2 came out in 2012. Yeah, I doubt Tekken 7 or the next game will be as good as TTT2 and I even dread they will try to make it appeal more to casuals with somewhat simplified mechanics, but I still want to see what materializes from the Tekken team next. Hey, I wouldn't even necessarily mind a new IP, but just make sure it has some similarities to Tekken or even Soul Calibur.

There have been known concepts since at least 2012 I remember a Japanese site where allegedly Harada talks about something like Ganryu's daughter as an idea.

So there could be another time jump who knows.

I remember that, it was an old interview in an arcade in Osaka, Japan with Harada and Yonemori.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0M4Xx7RoDQ

Somebody wrote down the best bits from it here so that helps:

http://ikura.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/gamefight/1335298037/250

• There was a lot of cross promotion with the Tekken series and general goods in the older days. There were Tekken Ramen, Marshall Law edible seaweed, Tekken soaps etc. There were even some small collaborations with Ramen restaurants where you could buy the Tekken games.
  • With Kotobukiya figures, it's generally a success if they sell 2000 of those figures of a character or it's a big hit if they sell 4000 figures. The Tekken ones sometimes sell 4 times as much, seems like there's a big demand for figures.
  • Tekken X Street Fighter development is maybe at around 6% done? They've decided the first 10 characters in the game. There will be Hadoukens. The stages will also be a bit more 'active,' it seems like there's some ideas to be able to do damage to the stage and tears parts off.
  • Tekken 7 will maybe add a small amount of characters. They're looking for a way to 'make everyone happy.' Maybe they might add Ganryu's daughter?
  • Regarding Leo's gender, there was a mistake with the interpretation of Leo's character in the German event. Leo was initially designed as a female first but then was later decided to be gender neutral. You can find more details on this on the wiki page for Leo. Leo's gender officially is 'unknown.'

I guess thats why the wiki page for Tekken characters mentions the TTT2 swimsuits for Leo. 1 for if you imagine Leo a girl and another if you imagine Leo a guy.

This is all old though so things might have changed since then. I don't think they've ever announced the platforms that Tekken X Street Fighter is going to come out on lol.

GrayFoxPL

Playing tag designed game in 1 on 1 is like dancing tango alone. If you find solo opponent you know he just couldn't comprehend wtf is going on in admittedly complicated tag fighting. Yet at least, like most wanting to learn Tag. But solo in this game just feels empty and wrong. I only need to fire up T5DR or T6 to see how fun it is to fight 1 on 1. Emulating 1 vs 1 in a Tag is a joke.

AZUMIKE

Playing tag designed game in 1 on 1 is like dancing tango alone. If you find solo opponent you know he just couldn't comprehend wtf is going on in admittedly complicated tag fighting. Yet at least, like most wanting to learn Tag. But solo in this game just feels empty and wrong. I only need to fire up T5DR or T6 to see how fun it is to fight 1 on 1. Emulating 1 vs 1 in a Tag is a joke.

But, isn't solo mode in TTT2 essentially the same thing as T6?

I 100% agree with this. Playing as or against solo in Tag 2 feels so awkward. Doesn't feel that way to me in other Tekken games.

But how so? Is it because of a possibly lower lifebar in TAG 2? I'm not even sure if thats the case in TAG 2 though.

Can't talk for him but for me, it's a bit odd fighting 1 on 1 with these large TTT2 stages (as compared to T6). It takes a bit more effort to carry opponents to the wall with a single character without TAs.

Not having a Tag button in 1v1 mode already kinda throws me off too since I always hit that with bound moves, I always notice that pushing that tag button wasn't necessary haha. I also normally expect an incoming character tag-in or a tag crash to punish after I do a combo on the opponent or certain oki situations but then you have to forget that in solo mode.

You have to essentially forget the tag button exists in 1v1 mode. If you're fighting a solo opponent with your tag teams, you have to forget him having a tag button.

AZUMIKE

Can't talk for him but for me, it's a bit odd fighting 1 on 1 with these large TTT2 stages (as compared to T6). It takes a bit more effort to carry opponents to the wall with a single character without TAs.

Not having a Tag button in 1v1 mode already kinda throws me off too since I always hit that with bound moves, I always notice that pushing that tag button wasn't necessary haha. I also normally expect an incoming character tag-in or a tag crash to punish after I do a combo on the opponent or certain oki situations but then you have to forget that in solo mode.

You have to essentially forget the tag button exists in 1v1 mode. If you're fighting a solo opponent with your tag teams, you have to forget him having a tag button.

Yeah point taken. Tag 2 1v1 can feel weird and odd for a variety of reasons. Does the tag button even work when playing solo?

But nevertheless, 1v1 is still in, is it not? Is it really offbeat to say that 1v1 in Tag 2 is essentially T6? Seems pretty similar. Echoes the idea that Tag 2 is inclusive to both 1v1 and 2v2.

Sayah

I played Tekken 6 two weeks ago. It is a completely different experience from playing TTT2 1v1. It's hard to describe but T6 feels a lot more up close and personal and creates a lot more struggle and tension. I wouldn't say it's due to the smaller arenas since infinite stages also give off that same feeling in T6.

This is why I never sold my T6 copy. I don't think TTT2 can replicate the T6 experience as well as people like to think it does.

GrayFoxPL

But, isn't solo mode in TTT2 essentially the same thing as T6?

Nah. Moves lists are revamped to be viable during tag combos, tag buffering etc, also in both properties, frames and damage. Arenas can be huge because of 2 character wall carry abilities. Not even mentioning the overall flow and ridiculous shit like rage mid lifebar.

I played Tekken 6 two weeks ago. It is a completely different experience from playing TTT2 1v1. It's hard to describe but T6 feels a lot more up close and personal and creates a lot more struggle and tension. I wouldn't say it's due to the smaller arenas since infinite stages also give off that same feeling in T6.

This is why I never sold my T6 copy. I don't think TTT2 can replicate the T6 experience as well as people like to think it does.

Yeah. I on the other hand spent the evening playing DR. It's a fantastic feeling of speedy fighting in T5 arenas. DR pacing is the best. I hate dragging on forever.

Manbig

TTT2 has a 1v1 mode for those that want it. It's all inclusive!

But my lack of faith is stemming from the design decisions Namco made with Tekken Revolution. It's plainly obvious where they're going with the franchise and it's removing so much depth from the game. They added one thing which brought some extra mind games and such with invincibles.... but dear lord the change in oki has me fuming.

Simpler != Improved to me

The options for oki in TR is actually mostly the same. The big thing that you lost is the ability to float out of backroll and stand straight up situations, but that still doesn't change the basic oki guessing game. The only thing you really lose is damage, which is exactly the point. Tekken has historically been incredibly unforgiving in this aspect for people trying to learn the game, because most matches for them boil down to eating a juggle that takes off half life and then getting picked up off the ground due to an oki situation that they know nothing about and getting slaughtered. They actually have a chance to learn what is going on before losing in 2 hits.

More damage in oki situations != depth.

TR still has the ability to pick up people when you interrupt wake up kicks and you can still launch people at the end of quick backrolls with mids.

Manbig

Guys do you usually rock a mic when sparring? Can't stand the awkward silence. I've only added two of ye btw. AAK and Elza

Unless I'm doing online training mode with someone, I don't really use a mic. If you wanna go a few matches in a bit, I'm thinking about logging on and playing some. Feel free to hit me up.

PSN: MannyBiggz

Manbig

Starting to get my mojo back. Got to Berserker rather easily despite blowing my first promotion match because I was playing like an idiot. Just gotta punish those gimmicks (when online allows at least).

AAK

The options for oki in TR is actually mostly the same. The big thing that you lost is the ability to float out of backroll and stand straight up situations, but that still doesn't change the basic oki guessing game. The only thing you really lose is damage, which is exactly the point. Tekken has historically been incredibly unforgiving in this aspect for people trying to learn the game, because most matches for them boil down to eating a juggle that takes off half life and then getting picked up off the ground due to an oki situation that they know nothing about and getting slaughtered. They actually have a chance to learn what is going on before losing in 2 hits.

More damage in oki situations != depth.

TR still has the ability to pick up people when you interrupt wake up kicks and you can still launch people at the end of quick backrolls with mids.

The way I look at it is that now there's almost no reason to backroll except for positional reasons. The backroll will almost always avoid the max damage oki option for people that are staying grounded and the moves that are used to float backrollers previously do paltry damage. And even when they get hit by it they get a free techroll after to return to their neutral game. That's how I feel that it takes away options. I do agree that it makes things more difficult to newer players but it is something I thoroughly enjoyed about Tekken's system uniquely.

Also, by quick backroll do you mean the back roll off of things like Mach Punch? I've never seen any situation where anyone gets an oki off of moves like those. I guess I'm misunderstanding.

Guys do you usually rock a mic when sparring? Can't stand the awkward silence. I've only added two of ye btw. AAK and Elza

Yeah I have a wireless headset... but I rarely have it charged unfortunately. I've chatted with boutdown quite a few times.

Harada twitter latest tweet
"Well
I'll go EVO 2014 next month"

Still hope for Tekken announcement?

Maybe he likes to spectate high level Tekken. I highly doubt anything substantial coming out of there. At the most I'll expect an announcement of when they'll reveal it... which is most likely going to be a the December 20th anniversary event I bet.

Manbig

The way I look at it is that now there's almost no reason to backroll except for positional reasons. The backroll will almost always avoid the max damage oki option for people that are staying grounded and the moves that are used to float backrollers previously do paltry damage. And even when they get hit by it they get a free techroll after to return to their neutral game. That's how I feel that it takes away options. I do agree that it makes things more difficult to newer players but it is something I thoroughly enjoyed about Tekken's system uniquely.

Also, by quick backroll do you mean the back roll off of things like Mach Punch? I've never seen any situation where anyone gets an oki off of moves like those. I guess I'm misunderstanding.

Yeah I have a wireless headset... but I rarely have it charged unfortunately. I've chatted with boutdown quite a few times.

Maybe he likes to spectate high level Tekken. I highly doubt anything substantial coming out of there. At the most I'll expect an announcement of when they'll reveal it... which is most likely going to be a the December 20th anniversary event I bet.

You back roll, because when you tech, you end up giving your opponent a free mix up of his/her choice since they'll be right on top of you. I know people like to tech roll right into sidewalking, but much like Virtua Fighter, if the person on offense times it right, there is no sidestepping, or sidewalking anything in that situation.

In a situation where the character guesses right on something like a stomp and gets away with a backroll, the character on offense has to chase him/her down and worry about what they are going to do when they get up. Sidestepping/walking becomes a much more viable option here for the defensive character depending on the matchup, which is where everyone's precious depth comes into play.

So to keep it simple, backrolls can be punished harder, but getting away with one puts you in a much better situation than teching does, but teching puts you in immediate danger assuming that the opponent is on point with their execution.

As far as the quick back roll that I was referring to, I'm talking about the option you get when you hold back and were not spiked into the ground. It has different properties than the normal back roll.

Dereck

iP7eahm7XtK0i.gif

Got that Warrior rank.

It took me 3, fucking, hours.

And my promo match, was a Brawler/2 dan.

WTF? All of those double Berzerkers and Warriors I beat the shit out of, and my promo match is a Brawler? C'mon son

Famicom, Elza, dropkick get at me. I have joined you all.

igkRBMn9Zd6X7.gif

Tomorrow I'll upload a journey to Warrior video.

GrayFoxPL

iP7eahm7XtK0i.gif

Got that Warrior rank.

It took me 3, fucking, hours.

And my promo match, was a Brawler/2 dan.

WTF? All of those double Berzerkers and Warriors I beat the shit out of, and my promo match is a Brawler? C'mon son

Famicom, Elza, dropkick get at me. I have joined you all.

igkRBMn9Zd6X7.gif

Tomorrow I'll upload a journey to Warrior video.

COD DAMN!

Congrats! You should try a tourney when you get a chance man.

I'm trying new team Hwo-Drag, they are infant level but I pretend I'm MadDogJin.

GrayFoxPL

Ggs guys. Sorry I was so bad today.

Doomshine, your Miguel tats are causing disconnects, way too Banderas, lol.

Sasuke, your Hwo so good, so good now. I practiced his combos, but in real online fight I drop everything like a baby. I need more MDJ spirit.

I got that JFSR down like a pro ;p

You did, you did. From LFF even. You shot them like a shotgun. Boom! Boom! Most of the time I felt like this, lol. Ain't even mad, that was too cool.

If you played so relaxed with Doomshine, you'd win. I was watching your fights and thinking: "Why Sasuke no make Doomshine fly? Make Doomshine fly!! JFSR! JFSR!"

GrayFoxPL

I didn't even get a chance to use the item move associated with them :(

Game knew it would be too OP so it disconnected you before the outrage begun.

What do the tats do?

But seriously, shame the internet failed us today. I had decent luck with Tag2, but in Revo I get disconnected all the time last few days.

sasuke_91

Good games GrayFoxPL and Doomshine.

I like your new team, GrayFox. Your pressure with Hwoarang is really good, especially at a wall. His combos need practice, if you don't know what to do, just go with 4,4,3. It's pretty decent with tag combos, otherwise you're too far away to really do anything other than RFF ff3.
4,4,3 also pretty much works with every launcher... b3, df2. Sky rocket? Backdash and do 3~4, 4,4,3 B!. JFSR? 3+4 (switch stance), RFF 3~4, dash forward, 4,4,3 B!

If you played so relaxed with Doomshine, you'd win. I was watching your fights and thinking: "Why Sasuke no make Doomshine fly? Make Doomshine fly!! JFSR! JFSR!"
Haha^^ Doomshine plays really up close and fucks up the spacing I need to do proper JFSR. When I'm cornered I can't do anything. I'm also afraid to whiff anything against him. That whiff punishing...
I almost cried when I dropped that combo with Xiaoyu... I would have won D:

Top Bottom