• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AZUMIKE

I don't know. D Ganryu is a joke but Asuka cosplaying devil as a character similar to JayCee cosplaying a wrestler would be fanservice hit. Many dirty outfits.

Tekken doesn't need anymore dirty outfits. Stuff is a disgrace (mostly apparent on those avatar panels from that one particular artist).

GrayFoxPL

Tekken doesn't need anymore dirty outfits! Stuff is a disgrace (mostly apparent on those avatar panels from that one particular artist).

ipddowNtcjI3V.gif

AAK

AAK I didn't quit in the middle of the match, I didn't clarify.

I was going to leave after that match.

No man, I didn't assume that anyway haha. The connection failed on us. GG's though.

And sorry sasuke, the connection was actually unplayable for me.

sasuke_91

Rip has a good episode on Ling with DocMassacre (formerly LingMassacre) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz0yhSWC2NM. I learned a lot of things from it myself. With Ling, you have to work for your win and pick and choose your spots - she lacks the damage output and range. Nonetheless, still my favorite.

Thanks. I actually watched a bit of that Morning Bread & Butter, but never finished it for some reason. Some really helpful information.

That AOP uf3,1 is one of the most spammable moves I know^^

No man, I didn't assume that anyway haha. The connection failed on us. GG's though.

And sorry sasuke, the connection was actually unplayable for me.

I knew it. Connection was really good for me (even managed to throw break on reaction).
We'll probably never be able to play. It normally works when I invite someone, but even that doesn't work properly with you.
I was looking forward to some Hwoarang matches :(

joeblow

That AOP uf3,1 is one of the most spammable moves I know^^

Actually, the real spammable attack of hers that he uses in the match is BT d+1... it was an 8 frame, high-crushing low that was +frames on hit. Watch it again and see how many times he used it to keep his rush down going on the opponent.

Before you get too excited to use it though, they nerfed it in Tekken 6. The move is now 10 frames and is a special mid instead of a low.

av2k

Good games to AAK and Boutdown tonight :)

AAK: You have some really crazy mix up games going! I'm glad to finally play you after all this time haha.
Boutdown: Too bad you left early, I'm glad to finally fight you on a better connection/tv

Edit: OT but.. I'm also a huge steam whore if anyone likes to play PC games: http://steamcommunity.com/id/av2k - please add me! Also, I love to play Diablo 3 and wow. av2k#1223

Sayah

@av2k: I keep forgetting to add people. I didn't bring my PS3 with me so it might be anywhere from one-three weeks before I play again....depending.

But I'll add you on Steam.

Tekken doesn't need anymore dirty outfits. Stuff is a disgrace (mostly apparent on those avatar panels from that one particular artist).

Hahaha.
That artist is also the one inspiring the models for a lot of the kotobukiya figures. Some people were completely against making Tekken characters like that. Other people were not. Currently, I don't know which camp I fall in. I guess right now I personally don't care as long as the gameplay is solid.

Devs should want their game characters to look good and create a balance between everything. They need to be appealing but not cringe-worthy. Another example is the DoA5 models that look amazing but then they add physics that make you think "why is this is so exaggerated and unreal?"

DEATH™;119643641 said:
Now I wanna play you av. Just sucks though that I need to play select times. Family demands too much. Some of them don't even want me to play despite me doing good in school and doing all responsibilities right just because the stigma agains videogame players are still there... :(
That stigma's still in a lot of families. Sometimes for good reason since video games can get addictive and people divert all their attention towards them.

E.g. This weekend I played TTT2 for 7 hours straight. I have never played a game for that long before. Idk why I was playing for so long. The last time I did this was for Resident Evil 4 for 5 hours straight.

On the other hand, if you're performing well in all other aspects of your life, I don't see why it's an issue. The stigma can get annoying in that respect. After a long week of work and school, you just want to play games but I end up mowing the lawn and doing other familial/household related work, haha.

Super mad I'm not going to evo now, all because of this shirt.
mMqqkSN.png

Sad thing is had Tekken been part of the roster from the start I would have been there. When you're broke 3 months just aint enough time to save up for the trip =(

Nice!

Sucks that you can't go though. :(

AAK

av2k's execution is sublime. We are coast to coast so our connection is kinda bootleg but he's on point. I'm just so scared of your team so I did too many things on wakeup too often. Wasn't a good idea most of the time haha. But it was super fun, GG's.

GrayFoxPL

In all cases? I find it really weird that sometimes people tell me they experience lag although I can play just fine. And I normally notice input lag... I think^^

Probably because you have bigger tolerance for lag.
I search matches that are 3+. Some players don't go below 5. Ever.

sasuke_91

Actually, the real spammable attack of hers that he uses in the match is BT d+1... it was an 8 frame, high-crushing low that was +frames on hit. Watch it again and see how many times he used it to keep his rush down going on the opponent.

Before you get too excited to use it though, they nerfed it in Tekken 6. The move is now 10 frames and is a special mid instead of a low.

I noticed, but I thought he was doing that because he didn't want to stay in Rain Dance and be unable to block.

Probably because you have bigger tolerance for lag.
I search matches that are 3+. Some players don't go below 5. Ever.

A friend of mine told me I was whiny when we played on his laggy TV and I told him I couldn't get anything down because of it^^
Maybe it's different for me Online and I do have a bigger tolerance.

sasuke_91

Good games GrayFoxPL. I hate Lars' uf3, always gets me^^

And good games UltWarrior1. We should play more often, your agressive mix-up is what I need to get used to. Whenever I think you go for a low you launch me, I need to stay more calm and wait for a mistake. I also whiffed a lot of moves (for whatever reason) and got punished badly. I didn't even win once with Hwo/Steve, played really weird with those two. You're really great with WS launchers by the way^^

GrayFoxPL

A friend of mine told me I was whiny when we played on his laggy TV and I told him I couldn't get anything down because of it^^
Maybe it's different for me Online and I do have a bigger tolerance.

I don't know. But there's no better input lag for host and worse for opponent in here. Game would desync frequently. That's why they implemented that 1 frame of lag, cut the backgrounds and rerouted rest of cpu power to calculate and sync in that 1 frame what is happening on both player sides. You can still see on health bars constant rollback where health bars take damage in one frame and in the next one it's erased back because the game calculated the attack was blocked. On very rare occasions in mostly final hit you even can see the "white blocking fog" instead of usual hit effect, because the game at first "thought" the attack was blocked, but in that "calculation" frame it came out it hit.

Tekken 6 had tons of desyncs because of that miscalculation where on one player side game scored a hit and on player 2 it wasn't because eg player blocked on last possible frame and netcode didn't sync it in time.

That system in Tag2 is pretty ingenious for online play.

Edit: GGs Sasuke. I have a debit on ranked like - 15 fights because of that team. Gotta get them back somehow.

The game glitched on our fights - I had no music in game. Then when I quit the PS3 froze with black screen.

AZUMIKE

And good games UltWarrior1. We should play more often, your agressive mix-up is what I need to get used to. Whenever I think you go for a low you launch me, I need to stay more calm and wait for a mistake. I also whiffed a lot of moves (for whatever reason) and got punished badly. I didn't even win once with Hwo/Steve, played really weird with those two. You're really great with WS launchers by the way^^

GGs man, enjoyed battling those Ling and Hwo mixups!

AZUMIKE

Devs should want their game characters to look good and create a balance between everything. They need to be appealing but not cringe-worthy. Another example is the DoA5 models that look amazing but then they add physics that make you think "why is this is so exaggerated and unreal?"

Historically, Tekken has had careful, well-thought character designs. Why hamper those with shameful, (even at times cringe-worthy) additions? Now that I think about it though, the only culprit in TTT2 for me was only in fact those particular avatar panels. The in-game costumes weren't a problem at all. Just those silly avatars from that artist. There's a decent way of showing skin, and then there's a silly way. Keep it classy.

GrayFoxPL

Historically, Tekken has had careful, well-thought character designs. Why hamper those with useless, shameful, cringe-worthy additions? Now that I think about it though, the only culprit in TTT2 for me was only in fact those particular avatar panels. The in-game costumes weren't a problem at all. Just those silly avatars from that artist. There's a decent way of showing skin, and then there's a silly way. Keep it classy.

ibeat2m3kgLT25.png

i3IqXjNJv1YJt.png

I love 90% of Tekken characters but some of them are just drunken party ideas from ass.

Besides Tekken 4 had most awesome costumes never to be seen again because of some backwards traditionalism that somehow erases those from existence but includes custom system where players can make Jack look like a future junkyard prostitute and King of Iron Fist become a icecream truck clown. I don't get it.

Just give me back T4 costumes. Why Lei wearing his T3 drunken master costume at this day and age where Jin became Hitler and started WW3 because voice of giant chicken told him to? Totally inappropriate.

But really, Tekken lost it's serious lore right after T4. After that everything became Monty Python.

mr_boo

I love 90% of Tekken characters but some of them are just drunken party ideas from ass.

Besides Tekken 4 had most awesome costumes never to be seen again...Why Lei wearing his T3 drunken master costume at this day and age....
Agreed on all fronts...but I draw the line on Lei...can't take away a classic....

AZUMIKE

Lol at Orge and Alisa. But I'll counter that by saying this about them: Sure their initial character designs were weird/foreign from the get-go, but Namco Bandai has done a decent job to flesh Alisa and True-Ogre as characters, specifically in-game. Their movesets are fleshed our well as far as I know.

And T4-T6 is fine IMO, as far as the "lore" goes. Not perfect of course, but workable.

AAK

GG's today Mike. Had a great time. And I'm so mad at myself for not punishing Baek rush. Julia's 1,1,1 strings will always counter hit you out of any variation of Baek rush... I just kept giving away a free mixup for you LOL.

And good stuff with the Lee b+2 mist step combo's! If your execution is good enough to do those I'm sure you can also learn the CH 1+2 into iWS+4 f+4,3 combo's too instead of settling with FC d/f+3.

Manbig

- At first I thought he was just randomly ducking, but how could ducking and then launching a high be random? Mids are underrated

Mids are not underrated. Historically, ducking a lot in Tekken has been frowned upon because of the risk involved since there are far more dangerous mids in the game than lows. This is mostly carry over from the older games though.

There are three major differences in Tag 2 that tip the scales on this thought process quite a bit.

1. Ever since T6BR, low parrying has been WAY easier and fuzzying with low parry inputs is also incredibly easy to do.

2. Since pretty much every single WS launcher in the game is tag bufferable, you get way more reward for guessing right on a duck than you did in the past.

3. Since sidestepping is better now, it's a lot easier to create the kind of space that makes it difficult to handle ducking from and/or from a slight axis difference.

Generally, outside of from a range in most match ups, ducking is flipping a coin. In Tag 2, guessing right on that coin flip is incredibly rewarding. In a game like Tekken DR on the other hand... You are probably not playing the smart odds.

So if you run into old schoolers that complain about "random ducking" you now know what they mean. It's why you see the best players go mid 90% of the time, even if they never see the opponent duck.

It is also why you see idiots like me who learned the game through Tekken 5.0/DR almost never duck unless it is an attempt to block slow lows on reaction. Just a hard thing to shake off for someone that hardly plays the game overall.

GG's today Mike. Had a great time. And I'm so mad at myself for not punishing Baek rush. Julia's 1,1,1 strings will always counter hit you out of any variation of Baek rush... I just kept giving away a free mixup for you LOL.

And good stuff with the Lee b+2 mist step combo's! If your execution is good enough to do those I'm sure you can also learn the CH 1+2 into iWS+4 f+4,3 combo's too instead of settling with FC d/f+3.

Yeah I was just sitting there like "I hope he knows he can just Jab me out of this...."

And Lee/Violet's CH 1+2 iWS4 is something I have to practice before I start playing because I haven't attempted to do it in so long. I've been taking long breaks from the game so I don't even bother attempting it anymore. I could do it like 35% of the time when I was grinding on this game hard.

sasuke_91

It's happening!!
A trailer would be enough, to be honest. I don't want to demand too much :p

Good games GrayFoxPL. I'm sorry for my bad performance today. I walked into every attack (like... seriously, I knew I was going to be hit and still tried to throw in a jab) and lost some games for nothing. I couldn't get anything done with Hwoarang either. Steve and Lee were doing dumb stuff. I'm going to play better next time, I promise ;)
By the way, I have to be careful or your Hwoarang will soon get better than mine, if he hasn't already^^

GrayFoxPL

It's happening!!
A trailer would be enough, to be honest. I don't want to demand too much :p

Good games GrayFoxPL. I'm sorry for my bad performance today. I walked into every attack (like... seriously, I knew I was going to be hit and still tried to throw in a jab) and lost some games for nothing. I couldn't get anything done with Hwoarang either. Steve and Lee were doing dumb stuff. I'm going to play better next time, I promise ;)
By the way, I have to be careful or your Hwoarang will soon get better than mine, if he hasn't already^^

Good games. Don't worry I too have stronger and weaker days, you had weaker today, happens.

My Heihachi sucks hard. I think it's because I miss old fart Hei and this young one gets on my nerves with his persona.

That Lars super space knee is a weird attack to punish but people online launch or at least punish me for it every time.
You can punish it 2 ways. First if you mash jabs right after block. It'll hit Lars while he's still in the air. You did this with Steve to me. The risk is that Lars lands crouched so jabs will whiff and I have another free uf+3 since it crushes them.

Second is almost any mid launcher. It will just work, like hwo's b+3, Lee's uf+4, Xiao df+2~1 etc. People punished me with electrics, but you can't be late with those.

Generally against Lars and his super knee: it crushes lows, it crushes highs, so use quick mids - there's a good chance it gets stuffed or even float Lars for combo. Even trade isn't bad. But yeah, any high or visible low and Lars gets crazy with the space knee.

av2k

According to Rip he's heavily involved in Rise of Incarnates. So I look forward to more character reveals for that game.

I'll repeat my previous stance: WAIT UNTIL SMASH BROS IS RELEASED, then anticipate some TxSF announcements.

I think they're too focused on Rise of the Incarnates and Pokken at the moment so I don't expect any crazy announcements at evo... at best, maybe a teaser trailer.

Hope I'm proven wrong!

Top Bottom