• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

If there will be a dark skinned black, non white haired, American female in a fighting game, Tekken would probably do it. Realistically though, no one will ever do it.

I guess the "American" criteria is out.. but the new KI has a pretty good female black character design:

14_maya01.jpg

But holy crap was the KI2 design bad!

Jacky is still the best VF character hands down.....

I feel just like Aris watching Rip whenever I see Jacky hahah. What kind of character screams "Yeeeaaaaahh!!" when escaping a throw? :p But still he's no where near as obnoxious as fighting Lion and Shun!

I'm surprised you guys are speculating about everything but Kazumi. She's expected to be a playable character, right?

She won't be using the Mishima or Kazama fighting styles. How will she fight? She'd have to be pretty old to be Heihachi's wife. An older woman in a fighting game would be something new. What role will she play? Final boss w/ Devil form?

Maybe it will be Mortal Kombat 9 style of story where the game takes place over many years and you can play as Kazumi when she's young and then the story flashbacks forward to recent times where she's dead & not playable in the story.... and yeah you're right there's a huge possibility she'll be the final boss.

Just make a VF vs Tekken already goddammit.

At one point I would just fantasize about how this would go down if real and if characters from both franchises would play exactly the same. VF characters would be able to sidestep linear moves regardless of how off axis it was, and Tekken characters could backdash cancel. Would probably be one of the most broken games in history LOL.

Fuck this VF talk kind of makes me want to play the game now...

I'm always down, if you see me online send me an invite.

Dereck

lol, is she black? And if she is, lol Beyonce'd like all other black female characters in fighting games.

Tanya is the closest of seen to what I'm talking about.

Dereck

Are you saying people dislike Bob because people used him in Evo 2011?

I'm asking is the hate for Bob, as a character because of his appearance/name?

AZUMIKE

Some people like Bob, some people don't. Same logic applies to the rest of the cast.

EDIT: My comment didn't answer much did it? lol. EVO 2011 put a bad taste in peoples mouth as people wanted diversity in the Top 8, but as AAK says below, the character design didn't seem to be the issue.

AAK

As far as I know, the hate comes from EVO 2011. The appearance isn't a huge deal. I think the generic public have even bigger issues with Kuma/Roger when it comes to character design compared to Bob.

Manbig

There was hate for Bob before EVO 2011, but that really put the hate over the top. People hate Bob for a lot of the same reasons that they hate Lili. What makes it worse is Bob is actually a top tier.

Manbig

I'm always down, if you see me online send me an invite.

I'll probably jump on after I eat in about an hour or so. I'll also stream it. You down?

Too many good moves, too many useful safe moves?

More specific than that. It's the kind of stuff that I always whine about. Mid ducking launchers, d1, that Backswing Blow that used to wall splat on normal hit, he's fat, but he has the hurtboxes of a regular sized character, d1, Cracker Jacker being a easy hit confirm for a ton of damage that covers a ton of distance, d1, really good and easymode safe pressure (d1), those absurd crush properties on that d/f2, oh and did I mentioned d1? Yeah... that too.

sasuke_91

Yo Frankfurt was where the Damagermany tournaments were held before it got discontinued after 2012. Man those were good tournaments.

Did you try looking at the forums here?

http://www.tekkentreff.de/moonlight/t5/home/index.xhtml

Thanks a lot. I'll ask them if there's an active community around my area.
It would be pretty cool if I could find some people to play with :)

Good games GrayFoxPL. You actually picked up my most hated character in the whole game, Asuka^^
Learn that counter grab she uses against mids and highs and I'll have a really hard time ever winning against you.

GrayFoxPL

I'm surprised you guys are speculating about everything but Kazumi. She's expected to be a playable character, right?

She won't be using the Mishima or Kazama fighting styles. How will she fight? She'd have to be pretty old to be Heihachi's wife. An older woman in a fighting game would be something new. What role will she play? Final boss w/ Devil form?

I'm not following the story too much but doesn't she have the devil gene or something? She could be whatever monstrous thing they want.

Yeah she was the first known person with devil gene.

I don't believe they will let old woman fight, sorry. The only old woman in Japanese fighting game was in Power Instinct afaik.

Either:
1.Resurrected young demon like lady.
2.She never aged. Devil gene perks.
3.She's dead(unplayable) but will guide Kazuya in spirit form like Jun and Jin thing.

That's my take, they may go crazy with her fighting style.

I see Vanessa appreciation posts. Cool!

In VF4 she was one of my favorites. She had switchable 2 full movesets so it was like playing 2 characters - pretty awesome idea. I facepalmed when they bleached her skin, borderline racist move.

iLQuN1HqfsA2U.jpg

They also made her muscles go away, because it seems female fighter with muscles is hated as it was made clear in Mortal Kombat X thread.

DEATH™

@ult Harada tweeted it before, tried to look it up on his Tweeter Feed but it's way old that it doesn't show up on his feed... :(

I guess the "American" criteria is out.. but the new KI has a pretty good female black character design:

But holy crap was the KI2 design bad!

I thought Black Orchid is black too...

But yeah... Kreygasm

I wish Sadira doesn't look as ugly at now though...

DEATH™

They also made her muscles go away, because it seems female fighter with muscles is hated as it was made clear in Mortal Kombat X thread.

Gamers are still not used to muscular women I guess... I guess that's a part of the trope that historically established in gaming... despite muscular girls are pretty much everywhere now even in the art world where curves are more desired than stiff muscles...

Note: NSFW. This is art reference and not meant for ill-will:

http://fucktonofanatomyreferencesre...15/an-incredulous-fuck-ton-of-muscular-female

GrayFoxPL

Good games GrayFoxPL. You actually picked up my most hated character in the whole game, Asuka^^
Learn that counter grab she uses against mids and highs and I'll have a really hard time ever winning against you.

Good games Sasuke.
I never played Asuka much. I also hated her because people spam counter with her all day. That's why I don't, she has pretty good tools anyway.
I'm just in the mood for Aikido like character.

Talking about counter they really screwed Kazuya in T6/Tag2 against counter characters . If you don't anticipate every possible counter or chicken all the moves Kazuya eats the counters like cornflakes. You must spam weak df+3 or hellsweep and other lows, that are his options. Lame. In T5 he had ff+2 an elbow launcher and b+1 elbow that splatted on the ground.

alstein

If I had to pick 29 returning characters

Jin
Kazuya
Heihachi- unfortunately you have to include that many Mishimas
Alisa- too popular to dump, also unfortunately
Asuka
Hwaorang
Xaioyu
Law
Nina
Anna
Steve
Paul
Lei
Miguel
Raven
King
Marduk
Julia
Lee
Christie
Feng
Lili
Dragonuv
Zafuna
Leo
Lars
Bruce or Bryan
Kuni or Yoshi
Ganryu

That cuts all the clones out who aren't distinct enough. I kinda want Bruce over Bryan and Kuni over Yoshi for more flesh and blood/less robots. You can add a Jack for 30 if you must.

That leaves 5 spots for new chars, (I'd probably do 2 new ones to get to 32)

Good games Sasuke.
I never played Asuka much. I also hated her because people spam counter with her all day. That's why I don't, she has pretty good tools anyway.

Talking about counter they really screwed Kazuya in T6/Tag2 against counter characters . If you don't anticipate every possible counter or chicken all the moves Kazuya eats the counters like cornflakes. You must spam weak df+3 or hellsweep and other lows, that are his options. Lame. In T5 he had ff+2 an elbow launcher and b+1 elbow that splatted on the ground.

Its really not that big of a deal though, its not like you play a character with no Knee or elbow moves. Just because a character can't counter counter its like...whatever in the long term tbh.

AAK

GG's man. Took some time to get used to the netcode after playing TTT2 for so long. Still played soooo scrubby LOL.

GrayFoxPL

Its really not that big of a deal though, its not like you play a character with no Knee or elbow moves. Just because a character can't counter counter its like...whatever in the long term tbh.

Kazuya has one knee not counting knee at end of the 1,3,4 string and elbow at b+4,1 string. In singular moves Kazuya has nothing mid or high that can't be countered apart of df+3 that does no damage. It's so bad it's funny. They could've left his elbows from T5 but nope,lol.

Doomshine

Kazuya has one knee not counting knee at end of the 1,3,4 string and elbow at b+4,1 string. In singular moves Kazuya has nothing mid or high that can't be countered apart of df+3 that does no damage. It's so bad it's funny. They could've left his elbows from T5 but nope,lol.

Is db+2 not an elbow? Can she counter uf+3 and cd+3?

AAK

I know people had some complaints about my commentary for past events... So I hope this event satisfied you!

You talking about SEA? That wasn't you! It was the girl who knew nothing about Tekken just thinking outloud the whole time. No complaints for EVO, it was splendid. Thanks again!

Kazuya also has FC d/f+3+4.

alstein

Hey thats some Sp00ky quality stream.

Are people still playing VF5FS on some days. I stopped when after 3 months it became wasteland.

Most of the VF folks are 360 only due to inertia from vanilla and FS being better online on 360. (Sega has Capcpom-level skills on the PS3)

Manbig

GG's man. Took some time to get used to the netcode after playing TTT2 for so long. Still played soooo scrubby LOL.

GGs man. It was scrubby on both ends I assure you.

The sad thing is now I know that there is definitely something wrong with my arcade stick. I haven't used it in just about a year and dusted it off to play just now. I went into training mode afterwords to verify that my stick has a lot of trouble registering down/left. That's why I kept doing 2P and 2K when I was on the second player side.

EDIT: Add up/left inputs to the fucked up list. Guess I'm gonna have to replace this dumb thing.

EDIT 2: Man Wolf's movelist is so fucking awesome

But hellsweep should cure all your ails anyways

Sayah

Relive the TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 ‪#‎EVO2014‬ experience! View the top 8 here! - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL-UobkQVbd2Ow50XvUNDIr8cloQIQkK9 Commentary by Aris & myself!

I know people had some complaints about my commentary for past events... So I hope this event satisfied you!

Why would anyone dislike your commentary?
You have GREAT commentary and it's always amazing seeing you giving so much support to TEKKEN at so many events.

sasuke_91

Good games Sasuke.

A friend of mine is pretty good at countering hits. He uses them like people use Jin's parry: to stop longer strings. You'll rarely see him trying to randomly counter an attack. He's also pretty good with Steve's counter (b+1+2).

GrayFoxPL

A friend of mine is pretty good at countering hits. He uses them like people use Jin's parry: to stop longer strings. You'll rarely see him trying to randomly counter an attack. He's also pretty good with Steve's counter (b+1+2).

One dude today was countering me left and right with dragunov, so I changed the rythym and started delaying moves so they'll just hit right after his active counter window. But it was on the edge, felt like I was hitting his counters, lol.

AZUMIKE

LOL! I think I was watching him explain that to Harada while chilling in the VIP room. Too drunk though, did you constantly hear people going "SHHHHHHHHHHH!"?

Also, I'm still extremely crushed from dropping the combo that would have sent AO to losers. :(

Rip/Rickstah mentioned the drop on ATP live. They said it was like one hit away...

Way to give AO the work of his life though.

DEATH™;121468654 said:
Gamers are still not used to muscular women I guess... I guess that's a part of the trope that historically established in gaming... despite muscular girls are pretty much everywhere now even in the art world where curves are more desired than stiff muscles...

Note: NSFW. This is art reference and not meant for ill-will:

http://fucktonofanatomyreferencesre...15/an-incredulous-fuck-ton-of-muscular-female

Gamers can be hypocrites or hard to please. They complain that most females look like defenseless supermodels that weigh in at a paltry 90 lbs beating up huge muscular men and they want a more realistic representation of females. So they add muscles, tone them up, give them an athletic build, etc to presumably create more realistic looking females and they still complain saying they look masculine. Nina Williams took some heat because Namco gave her some muscles. Watch Nina have a smaller body than Xiayou in Tekken 7 because of all of the complaints.

Leo I have very little problems with because she basically is Tekken's Akira (except the fact that she's a little too easy to play). Miguel I admit has a bit of charm to him... but I can't help but feel some of his animations are kinda.... ugly. But that may just be the choreography fanatic in me clamoring for every character to have grace in all their actions :p

You live in Atlanta bro... home of Tekken. So many of us wish we lived in an area that had even 1/10th as much competition as ATL! :p

Atlanta is the home of Tekken? I never knew that. I live sort of near Atlanta and never knew there was any type of competition here.

Top Bottom