• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

I definitely do take for granted how much Tekken gets away with since Harada is at the helm. Definitely must suck for so many other Namco IP's that can't get the leverage of creative freedom because they don't have someone like Harada responsible for the product.

You missed my point. I mean 1 on 1 Tekken is better than 2 on 2 Tekken

Tag 2 has waaaayy too much built on a system that was almost overloaded in the first place. It's just too much man. and I'm not talking learning movesets and throw breaking and all that. Just trying to play the game sometimes is just a hassle. I mean part of this is salt part of it is just me confirming feelings I've had for the longest.

Even though I love TTT2 I understand.... and I always did kinda have a premonition that an announcement of the next Tekken would burn TTT2's activity :(

Dereck

We all have the crutch character, or in other-words, the character that we are best with. I'm ready to stop having to rely on that character. I would say that my Bryan has progressed from having to use a crutch (Law), to not needing a crutch at all, but this would have happened faster, and easier if I was playing solo Tekken for a year.

To me Tekken Tag 2 encourages crutch reliance. I remember awhile ago when Tag 2 first came out, I was using Miguel/Forest Law, Law was the crutch and Miguel was relying on him to win matches. Now I rarely use Miguel now because I realize I'm below average with him, I can't even do SAV wall carries consistently, so in essence, I had to drop him.

And damn, Tag 2 looks really ugly most of the time, TA, Tag crashing, wall TAs, rage, all kinds of shit going on. I only realized this after I went back and played Tekken 6. People are ready for solo Tekken again I'd say.

DEATH™

You missed my point. I mean 1 on 1 Tekken is better than 2 on 2 Tekken

Tag 2 has waaaayy too much built on a system that was almost overloaded in the first place. It's just too much man. and I'm not talking learning movesets and throw breaking and all that. Just trying to play the game sometimes is just a hassle. I mean part of this is salt part of it is just me confirming feelings I've had for the longest.

The problem is you are playing Lee and Baek instead of Kings lol.

But seriously, try to look at other teams to play because there are characters that just isn't as good and as fun to use in this system. Emphasis on fun.... There are even teams that are way more fun than others. I know for one that no matter how many chars fit with King well (Julia and Duk, even Pachi), I can't separate King and AK because of just how cool they are together and how their game meshes so well in a really fun way. On the other hand, I can't play Steve in this game because all of Steve's tech is equal to a tag team, and I can't use all the tech fully enough for it to be fun, especially when I try some setup just to get forced to tag out because reasons.

Also, props to people playing Lei and Feng together and diversifying their movesets...

DEATH™;121887640 said:
The problem is you are playing Lee and Baek instead of Kings lol.

But seriously, try to look at other teams to play because there are characters that just isn't as good and as fun to use in this system. Emphasis on fun.... There are even teams that are way more fun than others. I know for one that no matter how many chars fit with King well (Julia and Duk, even Pachi), I can't separate King and AK because of just how cool they are together and how their game meshes so well in a really fun way. On the other hand, I can't play Steve in this game because all of Steve's tech is equal to a tag team, and I can't use all the tech fully enough for it to be fun, especially when I try some setup just to get forced to tag out because reasons.

Also, props to people playing Lei and Feng together and diversifying their movesets...

I've discussed before that its hard for me and I dislike playing a bunch of characters already. Besides Baek and Lee/Violet aren't the issue.

To me Tekken Tag 2 encourages crutch reliance. I remember awhile ago when Tag 2 first came out, I was using Miguel/Forest Law, Law was the crutch and Miguel was relying on him to win matches. Now I rarely use Miguel now because I realize I'm below average with him, I can't even do SAV wall carries consistently, so in essence, I had to drop him.

And damn, Tag 2 looks really ugly most of the time, TA, Tag crashing, wall TAs, rage, all kinds of shit going on. I only realized this after I went back and played Tekken 6. People are ready for solo Tekken again I'd say.

Sums it up right here.

DEATH™

I've discussed before that its hard for me and I dislike playing a bunch of characters already.

Im not saying play a bunch of characters... I mean look for characters... Have some soul searching... go to arcade mode and just play and have fun. Dont overcommit, just find the char that talks to you... You never know until you try...

DEATH™;121893052 said:
Im not saying play a bunch of characters... I mean look for characters... Have some soul searching... go to arcade mode and just play and have fun. Dont overcommit, just find the char that talks to you... You never know until you try...

That's not my problem though. I love the characters I play and have fun with them. Its system that these characters, ALL OF THEM, have to deal with and like Boutdown said, its not pretty at all. Its really not a solid game.

Degen

King/Jinpachi... my original favorite team

Rage mode Jinpachi comebacks are the greatest

ff3 from like halfway across the stage, d4, ff3, d4, lol gg so close so close

Manbig

After reading through some of that T7 announcement thread, I just went back and played some Tekken 2 for funsies.

Heihachi f,f2, jab, twin pistons = 75% life.

Yeah guys, let's go back to that!

GrayFoxPL

After reading through some of that T7 announcement thread, I just went back and played some Tekken 2 for funsies.

Heihachi f,f2, jab, twin pistons = 75% life.

Yeah guys, let's go back to that!

At least lets go back to that moody atmosphere, music, stages and character design (non retarded Paul). Also love the sound effects.

Manbig

At least lets go back to that moody atmosphere, music, stages and character design (non retarded Paul). Also love the sound effects.

Actually, I really want the atmosphere and tone from Tekken 4 back. It's the last time I gave a shit about Tekken's storylines.

Tekken 2's OST/AST is freakin untouchable in quality though.

GrayFoxPL

Actually, I really want the atmosphere and tone from Tekken 4 back. It's the last time I gave a shit about Tekken's storylines.

Yeah Tekken 2 and 4 are my favorite atmosphere wise tough they are not similar.
Tekken 2 music the best and fit the stages so perfectly. Tekken's 4 music is also no slouch in this department. And that narrator's voice!

Now we get stage on a yacht that's raining fish on deck and BA DOOM BA DOOM BA DOOM BA DOOM BA!

ib0pReEyXO05WH.gif

What happened?

DEATH™

That's not my problem though. I love the characters I play and have fun with them. Its system that these characters, ALL OF THEM, have to deal with and like Boutdown said, its not pretty at all. Its really not a solid game.

Long post incoming...

I disagree with the game isn't solid, or we should be randomly winning against Koreans. The problem I think is, many people especially here, think about the "systems" too much and they have to obey the system to it's full potential everytime just to win. It's a wrong mindset.

Let me put this analogy. A painter has to paint a portrait of some dude and he has to get stuff at Michael's. For painting alone, he has a choice of acrylics, oils and watercolor. Not to mention the almost infinite amount of colors, canvasses and brushes he can choose.We are not talking about the infinite number of approaches he can do, but either way, his goal is still to paint the guy's portrait. How he does it? Depends on his philosophy in painting.

What does it relate to Tekken? Well, we are given these almost infinite sets of tools, from movelists and characters, to pokes, throws, punishes, movement and combos. The thing is we don't have to fully use ALL of them. We just have to be proficient at select stuff depending on what our game philosophy is. But the goal will always be depleting someone's lifebar. Look, if you watch Koreans play, unless it's an obvious launch punishable move on block, they rarely do they try the optimized block punish, and they focus more on trying to get whiffs, now they are really good at getting their whiffs and make them hurt CONSISTENTLY. Japanese players tend to not punish incoming raw tags reactionally because they think it's not worth dealing with all the possibilities happening at raw tags. While us, people get mad when we don't do the optimized punishes or combos, and then shout at the screen when we miss the punish, or dropped the combo, or get yoloed...

Look, I mean if you can K.O. someone by just hopkicking at the right time? Why not? Just outpoking someone? Yeah! If you need to learn something new to refine your game then good, but in the end we are the artist and we decide how we win, not the game system, if we let the game system dictate how we win then we need to examine how we play...

As much as I hate T4 system, darn I want that art direction back... Fighting in the parking lot, the mall and the darn fight club stage... those was sick...

DEATH™;121900393 said:
Long post incoming...

I disagree with the game isn't solid, or we should be randomly winning against Koreans. The problem I think is, many people especially here, think about the "systems" too much and they have to obey the system to it's full potential everytime just to win. It's a wrong mindset.

Let me put this analogy. A painter has to paint a portrait of some dude and he has to get stuff at Michael's. For painting alone, he has a choice of acrylics, oils and watercolor. Not to mention the almost infinite amount of colors, canvasses and brushes he can choose.We are not talking about the infinite number of approaches he can do, but either way, his goal is still to paint the guy's portrait. How he does it? Depends on his philosophy in painting.

What does it relate to Tekken? Well, we are given these almost infinite sets of tools, from movelists and characters, to pokes, throws, punishes, movement and combos. The thing is we don't have to fully use ALL of them. We just have to be proficient at select stuff depending on what our game philosophy is. But the goal will always be depleting someone's lifebar. Look, if you watch Koreans play, unless it's an obvious launch punishable move on block, they rarely do they try the optimized block punish, and they focus more on trying to get whiffs, now they are really good at getting their whiffs and make them hurt CONSISTENTLY. Japanese players tend to not punish incoming raw tags reactionally because they think it's not worth dealing with all the possibilities happening at raw tags. While us, people get mad when we don't do the optimized punishes or combos, and then shout at the screen when we miss the punish, or dropped the combo, or get yoloed...

Look, I mean if you can K.O. someone by just hopkicking at the right time? Why not? Just outpoking someone? Yeah! If you need to learn something new to refine your game then good, but in the end we are the artist and we decide how we win, not the game system, if we let the game system dictate how we win then we need to examine how we play...

As much as I hate T4 system, darn I want that art direction back... Fighting in the parking lot, the mall and the darn fight club stage... those was sick...

I'm like not even gonna bother because you really don't seem to understand what my problem with the game is.

sasuke_91

We all have the crutch character, or in other-words, the character that we are best with. I'm ready to stop having to rely on that character. I would say that my Bryan has progressed from having to use a crutch (Law), to not needing a crutch at all, but this would have happened faster, and easier if I was playing solo Tekken for a year.

I suck with Steve and I suck with Lee. The only solid characters I have are Hwoarang and Xiaoyu. Seriously, nobody ever said "nice Steve" or "dangerous Lee". It's always either Hwoarang or Ling, and I rely way too much on them.

I really like TTT2, but I also think that Tag damage is way too high. It adds a layer of depth and the rage system is really clever, but all in all combos are too long and strong. It's still my favourite Tekken and having a lot of my friends play Tekken 7 on the PS4 is the only reason I can't wait for the game.

LowParry

I suck with Steve and I suck with Lee. The only solid characters I have are Hwoarang and Xiaoyu. Seriously, nobody ever said "nice Steve" or "dangerous Lee". It's always either Hwoarang or Ling, and I rely way too much on them.

Nothing wrong with that. A shame Xiaoyu isn't as powerful in TTT2. She's still my main but I've lately shelved her over to put Heihachi on my team. She'll return to full glory in Tekken 7 I bet :D

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

ibbrWL5Yclbx8x.gif

Unfortunately, Tekken 6 kind of fudged everything up with the super world war stuff going on. And Tekken 7's tone from the trailer doesn't exactly scream casual settings and personal (outside of the Mishimas) struggles.

Honestly though, I never found the Tekken 2 OST that spectacular outside of a few tracks (boss themes, Yoshimitsu). I think a lot of it sounds really dated. Maybe a few too many warped, low quality electronic sounds. Very 90s (though not as much as Tekken 3). Though I find a little to love in every Tekken OST, my favorites are probably Tag 1, 6, and 5.

AAK

AAK

I want it to feel like T3 again.... look at what we got:

Bryan Fury
Dr. Bosconovitch
Gon
Eddy Gordo
Hwoarang
Jin Kazama
Ling Xiaoyu
Ogre/True Ogre

All those brand new movelists *drool*

Even SCV disappointed where only new stuff we got Patrokolos, Viola, and Zwei. If we only get 3 new characters I would honestly be disappointed.

This is one reason why I'm soooooo excited for MKX. Ed Boon said there'd be more new characters in MKX than ever seen before in the history of the series.

DEATH™

^ Weren't they supposed to make some figures of the male Tekken characters too?

They supposedly gonna make hwoarang, but didn't went through. Thy probably expect it to sell bad lol

One thing that I'm learning especially in art is, females are just way better looking and appealing. And this isn't a sexist thing, cause even females prefer female figures the same way. Females just has this more curvy figure that is very appaling to the eye, and its something that men cannot have no matter what. A girl can be a bit skinny, fuller or athletic and still get away with it, while men only has muscles going for them lol.

Explains alot about each darn Tekken popularity poll that females lead everytime. Same thing why people want karin and mika in SF while Q gets ignored lol

sasuke_91

Nothing wrong with that. A shame Xiaoyu isn't as powerful in TTT2. She's still my main but I've lately shelved her over to put Heihachi on my team. She'll return to full glory in Tekken 7 I bet :D

Yeah, we want top tier Xiaoyu back^^
I just watched some SoDam? (Xiao-user) vs Knee Tekken 6 matches and that guy was great. Going to Rain Dance in front of his opponent's face with no fear, avoiding highs with AOP and directly launching him after that. It makes me want to learn so much more about Xiaoyu :D

Here's the video

I agree with all the above. You should tweet that to Harada :)

Also:
1) A PROPER Team battle mode that doesn't have loading in between battles.
2) VF5FS's Frame Data display during replays and practice mode. see example.
3) Get rid of all the auras and ki's and butterfly wings and all the distracting nonsense as customization outfits.

1) This. So much! Team battles are no real team battles if you have a loading screen between every match. Beating a handicapped opponent with one hit just makes this annoying.
2) I think displaying frame data during replays would be extremely helpful. Watching replays and being like "Oh, that move was -14, I could totally punish that". I need this^^
3) Butterfly wings and aura are so annoying. They don't even fit and distract me way too much.

AAK

I want all legit languages actually. Nina/Anna should have Irish accents, Marduk should have an Australian accent, Zafina should speak Arabic, Lei should speak Cantonese, and same with all the other characters. I love the cultural diversity.

"Lucky me..." sounded just perfect.

I thought she said "Look at me" haha

sasuke_91

I played some Tekken 3 on a friend's PS One yesterday and noticed some things:

- the game looks pretty good considering it's a 3D fighter on 20 year old hardware
- on the highest difficulty, the game is hard as fuck. The AI will block nearly every low and duck every high, spamming strings is impossible
- juggling is possible, and it's pretty strong
- Xiaoyu's oki is great
- the game is pretty slow and plays like a laggy 2 bar online match in TTT2
- this makes throwbreaking on reaction pretty hard
- Jin is OP
- I hate Capos

Reading through that Tekken 7 thread, I really ask myself what was so much better about this game. Tekken 3 was my first Tekken, and I played it a lot on my PS1 back then. Is it nostalgia or do peoplle like the more limited movelist? I really don't know.

Dereck

Tekken 3 is nowhere near the best Tekken. People think because they button mashed in Tekken, that's the way the game is supposed to be played.

The AI in Tekken 3 falls for Law slide mixups.

Man, I would kill to play some Tekken 4 online, they don't even have to remaster it or any of that, just put it on PSN and add online.

AZUMIKE

I want all legit languages actually. Nina/Anna should have Irish accents, Marduk should have an Australian accent, Zafina should speak Arabic, Lei should speak Cantonese, and same with all the other characters. I love the cultural diversity.

Same here. Big reason I'm a fan of the series.

Hearing Kazuya's English voice in the T7 trailer....sigh lol (especially after knowing Kazuya's Japanese voice for so long). If it were up to me, I'd leave him with Japanese voices only. Although, I do understand that the English voices can allow for a broader audience. Not a big gripe. But yeah I felt the voice work for TTT2 was up to par.

Fraeon

Yeah, the international voices are one of the best parts of TTT2. With some characters they could go even further: Zafina speaking Egyptian Arabic, Alisa speaking Russian and so forth.

You could even (gulp) go so far as to make Lars speak Swedish.

sasuke_91

I really liked Hwoarang's ending in Tekken 4. Hearing him and Jin speak English was pretty funny^^

Good games Doomshine. Sorry I had to go so suddenly. I thought I had time for another match, but I really had to go. That Leo is already pretty good, I have to work on her too.

I still have issues with the connection in a lobby with US players. We haven't played in quite a long time, so I was looking forward to some matches with you, boutdown. Maybe next time then.

Doomshine

GGs Sasuke. Sorry boutdown, I just couldn't do anything on that connection so that's why I left. I wish we could play on a decent connection.

GrayFoxPL

Oh man I would personally stay away. As much as I love Tekken, the horror of witnessing T4 Jin in the internet will make me flip out haha.

I'm still sad they didn't made fixed T4. Probably because of all the variables like uneven terain, walls at all degrees likely created so much randomness that it was easier just to make T5 with flat square arenas, lol.

Still, even making laser scraper not godlike and reducing some of Jin's easy damage would already make game much better.

What fascinate me in T4 is that they really tried to go away from juggles into ground combos. Not only juggle damage scaling was massive but stuff like godfist leaving opponent standing or Kazuya chaining multiple stuns from ws+2 into df+2 or after df+2 stun hitting df+4 or 1,2 would not juggle but gave faint stun.

iccgWMREkf2xc.gif

iJAdpDMEBApdg.gif

iOXxcxZVn2kA0.gif

I'm not sure if that direction was bad. If Tekken 4 wasn't deemed a failure we probably be playing completely different games.

Things in Tekken 4 amaze me still. First Tekken game having progressive scan, plus such clean IQ made game insanely smooth and clean.
Remember how tiny the basic hitsparks were? Like they were trying to prove: "See we can have accurate collision detection".

Btw Tekken 4 Kaz is my favorite Kaz hands down.

Give him back his original pants pattern!

ieH27speMUquA.jpg

This actually represents wind and lightning.

But no later they gave him generic flame pattern instead.

Maybe someday we get Tekken HD collection with T4 Remix.
Imagine having all in one HUB and while playing Tag1 you can see people playing T4 online and jump in instantly.

DEATH™

I'm still sad they didn't made fixed T4. Probably because of all the variables like uneven terain, walls at all degrees likely created so much randomness that it was easier just to make T5 with flat square arenas, lol.

Still, even making laser scraper not godlike and reducing some of Jin's easy damage would already make game much better.

What fascinate me in T4 is that they really tried to go away from juggles into ground combos. Not only juggle damage scaling was massive but stuff like godfist leaving opponent standing or Kazuya chaining multiple stuns from ws+2 into df+2 or after df+2 stun hitting df+4 or 1,2 would not juggle but gave faint stun.

iccgWMREkf2xc.gif

iJAdpDMEBApdg.gif

iOXxcxZVn2kA0.gif

I'm not sure if that direction was bad. If Tekken 4 wasn't deemed a failure we probably be playing completely different games.

Things in Tekken 4 amaze me still. First Tekken game having progressive scan, plus such clean IQ made game insanely smooth and clean.
Remember how tiny the basic hitsparks were? Like they were trying to prove "See we can have accurate collision detection".

Btw Tekken 4 Kaz is my favorite Kaz hands down.

Give him back his original pants pattern!

ieH27speMUquA.jpg

This actually represents wind and lightning.

But no they gave him generic flame pattern instead.

Maybe someday we get Tekken HD collection with T4 Remix.
Imagine having all in one HUB and while playing Tag1 you can see people playing T4 online and jump in instantly.

If Tekken 4 isn't named Tekken and instead a completely different IP, it will be a total hit.

Which is why I'm with AAK here when he said make a new IP and leave Tekken alone...

sasuke_91

WTF, The first hit off a wall splat was unscaled??? Good lord...

But you guys definitely are right about one thing, T4 was by far the best looking Tekken for its time... makes DR,BR,Tag2 look ugly with respect to their time periods.

The scaling in Tekken 3/4 was pretty bad.

I liked the way the camera moved in Tekken 4 and how the arena wasn't just a square with nothing in it.

Oh, I haven't noticed that the title has been changed already. Nice :)

Top Bottom