• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Oh wow, I didn't even know about this Steve and Leo link. Very interesting.

I also imagine they're done with goofy endings for a lot of the characters (sans Tekken 5, 6, and TTT2). This is the end so some serious ish is gonna go down.

That's what I'm hoping. I'm expecting
Steve to be part of Leo's ending when she finally finds her mom Emma, while Steve's will be confronting his mom Nina to get everything cleared up.

GrayFoxPL

Oh wow, I didn't even know about this Steve and Leo link. Very interesting.

I also imagine they're done with goofy endings for a lot of the characters (sans Tekken 5, 6, and TTT2). This is the end so some serious ish is gonna go down.

Yeah, me too. Please don't make Paul and Law a total joke.

That's what I'm hoping. I'm expecting
Steve to be part of Leo's ending when she finally finds her mom Emma, while Steve's will be confronting his mom Nina to get everything cleared up.

But
she's dead. Leo only knows she worked in G Corporation so he generally blames Kazuya but doesn't know for sure how she died.

SDBurton

Yeah, me too. Please don't make Paul and Law a total joke.

They made Paul a joke for years now, which was a shame as I loved the rivalry he had with Kazuya. I mean the only guy to ever draw against Kazuya and you downgrade him to a dude who has trouble fighting a bear. It would be awesome if they can wrap his story up with a last ditch effort to encounter Kazuya for their long awaited rematch.

But
she's dead. Leo only knows she worked in G Corporation so he generally blames Kazuya but doesn't know for sure how she died.

I got the feeling that
she was alive due to Leo's T6 ending when she found the letter on Emma's gravestone. Her eyes widened in shock from whatever she read which led me to speculate that maybe she was alive but just in hiding.

AAK

T4 did a lot of amazing things with endings from different perspectives (like the Lei/Steve/Nina trinity) and stuff. I also really enjoyed Hwoarang's ending.

Paul's Tekken 4 storyline is EASILY the best storyline in Tekken history. They should just follow it as a benchmark for all of the characters in Tekken 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8MED6fqPk

Have to admit, this definitely is the most well done out of the endings.

Although Christie's ending did make me chuckle:

Eddy__s_trouble_by_julitka.jpg

GrayFoxPL

They made Paul a joke for years now, which was a shame as I loved the rivalry he had with Kazuya. I mean the only guy to ever draw against Kazuya and you downgrade him to a dude who has trouble fighting a bear. It would be awesome if they can wrap his story up with a last ditch effort to encounter Kazuya for their long awaited rematch.

I got the feeling that
she was alive due to Leo's T6 ending when she found the letter on Emma's gravestone. Her eyes widened in shock from whatever she read which led me to speculate that maybe she was alive but just in hiding.

Could very well be. At first I thought
it was goodbye letter.

And yeah Paul was pretty much on equal spot as Kazuya in Tekken 2, then he got sabotaged. Personally I find it almost insulting how stupid they made him. Though in T4 his makeover (normal hair) and total biker persona was very cool, convincing and not dumb at all("Ain't my style").

Then Tekken 5 comes and he's a total retard talking to bears and aimed on fighting aliens!

ibpMylzPWZxRp9.gif

ibp8Tjn4AE6KII.gif

To:

iJ9542UHIf4qL.gif

iz2X9VgG1AyMT.gif

:(

Also worth to note is his Tag2 ending is the worse he ever got, by looks and everything else. Yes including T1. Look at his disgusting render:

ip4XCnNRlGJ81.jpg

On subject of outfits I think it's incredibly dumb for characters to wear the same shit for 20 years. But Harada wants just that. I need an exact quote but on SFxTK release he said in an interview that regarding costumes he likes how it's done in Street Fighter and wants to establish the same thing in Tekken so characters will have iconic looks.
Super meh. I hope he changed his mind.

I'd like to share your optimism guys for thinking T7 might be another Tekken 4. I doubt they'll go anywhere near that far. Easier backdashing, improved wake up. But I recon the rest will be based on T6.

But yeah, at least give me new looks, new main costumes like T4 did.

Doomshine

I'm happy that they recognize that the wakeup game is a defining part of Tekken, it's something I've really come to realize as I play other fighting games.

Harada and the Tekken team just seem like smart people in general, I have a lot of confidence in them.

GrayFoxPL

I'm happy that they recognize that the wakeup game is a defining part of Tekken, it's something I've really come to realize as I play other fighting games.

Harada and the Tekken team just seem like smart people in general, I have a lot of confidence in them.

Yeah, I don't understand "invincible" wake up in eg. VF after Tekken. In VF5FS with Jean I tried to ff+p getting up opponent like I'd do with Jin but the fist went through the model. I hate wake up's in VF and DOA. Tekken is the only game where it feels "right" for me.

Manbig

Yeah, I don't understand "invincible" wake up in eg. VF after Tekken. In VF5FS with Jean I tried to ff+p getting up opponent like I'd do with Jin but the fist went through the model. I hate wake up's in VF and DOA. Tekken is the only game where it feels "right" for me.

You timed it too early. Wake up in VF is very video gamey, but it is also very mechanically sound.

Basically, when a character techs in VF, there is a small window (I think something like 6 frames?) where they can't do anything (including sidestep) except block. This combined with characters being invincible during the get up animation, moves with a decent amount of active frames become extra useful. Basically, this mechanic in VF allows for 2D style meaty attacks. This can especially be used to great effect for characters like Jeffery that have super slow mids that give huge frame advantage on block and on hit. In that situation, you can time those moves to hit on the later frames to give even bigger advantage. Jeffery specifically can net a juggle for well over half life using this.

As far as beating out wake up kicks in VF, the mechanic where when moves collide on the same frame, the higher damage move wins out comes into play here. Essentially, you find a move with a decent amount of active frames that also does more damage than wake up kicks, you time the attack when you see the start up animation for the wake up kick, and you will beat it out. There's some other character specific stuff to get around wake up kicks, but this one (along with spacing so they whiff and punishing) is a universal mechanic that the whole cast can take advantage of.

Outside of the silly look of it, I much prefer the wake up in VF5FS.

EDIT: Here is the Jeffery example that I was talking about from DandyJ's amazing VF5FS tutorial video.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah I hate how it works. Invincibility frames are big turnoff for me. Thanks for detailed info anyway Manny.

3 things I don't like in newest VF:

Wake up.

Stagger escapes. Since I can't physically waggle at that speed the game punishes me for being disabled in real life. Fuck you. It's lame and primitive mechanic as fuck anyway.

New Throw escapes. Sorry, can't escape anything for shit now. I know everyone says it's fair now since you can't buffer multiple, but lol, just getting thrown around.

VF is fantastic other way, but I love Tekken more.

SDBurton

it was goodbye letter.

And yeah Paul was pretty much on equal spot as Kazuya in Tekken 2, then he got sabotaged. Personally I find it almost insulting how stupid they made him. Though in T4 his makeover (normal hair) and total biker persona was very cool, convincing and not dumb at all("Ain't my style").

Then Tekken 5 comes and he's a total retard talking to bears and aimed on fighting aliens!

Also worth to note is his Tag2 ending is the worse he ever got, by looks and everything else. Yes including T1. Look at his disgusting render:

On subject of outfits I think it's incredibly dumb for characters to wear the same shit for 20 years. But Harada wants just that. I need an exact quote but on SFxTK release he said in an interview that regarding costumes he likes how it's done in Street Fighter and wants to establish the same thing in Tekken so characters will have iconic looks.

I'd like to share your optimism guys for thinking T7 might be another Tekken 4. I doubt they'll go anywhere near that far. Easier backdashing, improved wake up. But I recon the rest will be based on T6.

Agreed on all accounts.Even with Harada's view of not wanting to change a character's look, I really do hope they consider Paul and revisit his T4 version to implement some major improvements in not only his appearance but character as well.

GrayFoxPL

Agreed on all accounts.Even with Harada's view of not wanting to change a character's look, I really do hope they consider Paul and revisit his T4 version to implement some major improvements in not only his appearance but character as well.

*Fist bump

Right on brother!

sasuke_91

7000+ online fights.

Something like 6000 of these is ranked.
~950 online fights
~550 of them ranked
Maybe that's why I'm still a Marauder^^

I'm still not sure where these numbers come from... I have 550 ranked matches, about 700 matches in World Arena and 1500 player matches, so where do these 950 come from?^^

GrayFoxPL

Yeah it's from the profile page.

Yoshimitsu stealing moves was the coolest thing in Tekken 4. He was my favourite character back then. I had some hilarious matches with him saved on my memory card.

Yeah, this should be in for the comedy factor alone. "And then sudden Yoshimitsu Godfist."

I don't mind the characters having a static, defined look... but they should give everyone four+ costumes as well. And not cobbled together customization parts that are of a worse quality.

Manbig

So I randomly decided to look into killing Anna and learned that SSR into crouch kills all of her options out of Chaos Judgement and gets her launched for almost all of them too.

Have fun with that.

Sayah

So I randomly decided to look into killing Anna and learned that SSR into crouch kills all of her options out of Chaos Judgement and gets her launched for almost all of them too.

Have fun with that.

Did you try Anna's qcf+4 from chaos judgment?

Edit: Just tried it in practice. qcf+4 can be side stepped right from chaos judgment. However, I also tried d+3,3 from CAT stance and it will catch the opponent side stepping right. For d+3,3 you have to SSL and duck. So it's still a 50-50 guessing game. :p

Manbig

Did you try Anna's qcf+4 from chaos judgment?

Edit: Just tried it in practice. qcf+4 can be side stepped right from chaos judgment. However, I also tried d+3,3 from CAT stance and it will catch the opponent side stepping right. For d+3,3 you have to SSL and duck. So it's still a 50-50 guessing game. :p

You talking about the low, high kick? That is why I said SSR into duck. There is no 50/50 because that is the only option that tracks to her left. The moment she goes into stance, you just option select SSR into a well timed crouch.

Now the QCF4 does muck things up a bit. It wasn't in the command list under the moves for that specific stance, so I didn't know she had that. If you do the option select that I talked about though, she will only land the second kick for poopy damage. Prevents the "mix up" from being killed for free, but hardly a deterrent that's gonna stop me from using it in that match up.

Sayah

You talking about the low, high kick? That is why I said SSR into duck. There is no 50/50 because that is the only option that tracks to her left. The moment she goes into stance, you just option select SSR into a well timed crouch.

Now the QCF4 does muck things up a bit. It wasn't in the command list under the moves for that specific stance, so I didn't know she had that. If you do the option select that I talked about though, she will only land the second kick for poopy damage. Prevents the "mix up" from being killed for free, but hardly a deterrent that's gonna stop me from using it in that match up.

As soon as you even START to SSR, the d+3,3 will hit. Unless you are ducking as soon as I go into the stance, parrying, or SSL to crouch, the d+3,3 is gonna hit.

Edit: I should mention that I recently exhausted all the possibilities for Chaos Judgment in practice. Whether you SSR or SSL (and add in crouch if you wish), Anna has one or more moves that can catch you. There's no escaping the mixups and guessing games from CAT.

The other alternative that people used to punish CAT stance is Mishima 1,1,2 punches but I quickly learned that qcf+4 will override those punches every single time.

Manbig

As soon as you even START to SSR, the d+3,3 will hit. Unless you are ducking as soon as I go into the stance, parrying, or SSL to crouch, the d+3,3 is gonna hit.

You start the SS the moment you see her enter the stance. The problem with the stance is that you can SS early to kill off most of the moves. It's not one of those situations where you have to time a SS at the early frames of the attacks. The d3,3 is the exception to this rule, so you throw in a preemptive duck after an early SS to take care of that. The only deterrence is that QCF4's finicky tracking. Sometimes she'll get both hits. Other times she'll only get the second hit. Either way, unless their back is to the wall, it is hardly a deterrence to stop the opponent from doing an option select that will net him/her a launcher for nearly every move out of that stance.

And all this is without the option select that comes out of the SS canceling input that auto crouches when going towards the screen on the 1P side.

Sayah

You start the SS the moment you see her enter the stance. The problem with the stance is that you can SS early to kill off most of the moves. It's not one of those situations where you have to time a SS at the early frames of the attacks. The d3,3 is the exception to this rule, so you throw in a preemptive duck after an early SS to take care of that. The only deterrence is that QCF4's finicky tracking. Sometimes she'll get both hits. Other times she'll only get the second hit. Either way, unless their back is to the wall, it is hardly a deterrence to stop the opponent from doing an option select that will net him/her a launcher for nearly every move out of that stance.

Are you testing CAT stance by just pressing back+3 and then doing the followups?

She can go into CAT stance from f,f+3,4,3,b or f+3,b or d/f+1,2,3,b or d/f+4,1,b or WS3,b.

Record the Anna CPU in practice to do f,f+3,4,3,b in practice followed up with d+3,3. Then, try to SSR and duck and let me know how successful it is. :p

Manbig

Are you testing CAT stance by just pressing back+3 and then doing the followups?

She can go into CAT stance from f,f+3,4,3,b or f+3,b or d/f+1,2,3,b or d/f+4,1,b or WS3,b.

Record the Anna CPU in practice to do f,f+3,4,3,b in practice followed up with d+3,3. Then, try to SSR and duck and let me know how successful it is. :p

In the f,f3,4,b3 situation, I can REALLY kill the mix up because you're giving me this giant heads up that you're going into it thanks to ff3,4.

In this situation, I simply have the tap d~N~d/b~N.

This allows me to SS all of the linear options, block QCF4, AND duck the CAT d3,3.

The glaring issue with this stance is how fast the low is compared to how slow the QCF4 is. That's why it is so easy to option select. THIS is the way you need to think about every single mix up that you come up with no matter what character. If one option is even a few frames slower than the other option, then this sort of input will ALWAYS win out. This is the kind of thing that you need to do to get on a level similar to JDCR.

The glorious world of option selects knows no bounds.

The one situation that I can think of that would mess things up here is if she can go into that stance with a significant frame advantage. Do you know of any ways?

Sayah

In the f,f3,4,b3 situation, I can REALLY kill the mix up because you're giving me this giant heads up that you're going into it thanks to ff3,4.

In this situation, I simply have the tap d~N~d/b~N.

This allows me to SS all of the linear options, block QCF4, AND duck the CAT d3,3.

The glaring issue with this stance is how fast the low is compared to how slow the QCF4 is. That's why it is so easy to option select. THIS is the way you need to think about every single mix up that you come up with no matter what character. If one option is even a few frames slower than the other option, then this sort of input will ALWAYS win out. This is the kind of thing that you need to do to get on a level similar to JDCR.

The glorious world of option selects knows no bounds.

But that's not SSR. haha.

Can you test one other thing for me? Please. With the down, neutral, down/back neutral, can you see if the butt tackle (f+2+3) from CAT will hit or reach far enough?

Manbig

But that's not SSR. haha.

Can you test one other thing for me? Please. With the down, neutral, down/back neutral, can you see if the butt tackle (f+2+3) from CAT will hit or reach far enough?

I said it was a SSR into a well timed crouch man! :p

Sure, I'll test it before I hit the sack. While I'm at it, are there any other surprise options from that stance that I might not know about?

EDIT: Tested it out. The shoulder loses out cleanly to the SSR. Gonna head to bed now.

Some last notes before I pass out. Check if she has any way to go into that stance with + frames. I'm sure some of the stuff on hit gives her enough + frames to kill the SSR option, but I don't know about on block.

Also, I've been wanting to maybe stream, or record and upload to youtube videos about requests on researching how to kill certain mix ups. Of course I would be testing with my mains, but more often than not, I'm sure I can figure something out. It'll help both the people that ask and myself. If anyone is interested in such a thing, let me know.

Sayah

Sure, I'll test it before I hit the sack. While I'm at it, are there any other surprise options from that stance that I might not know about?

If you hadn't test qcf+4, then you probably haven't tested all her other qcf moves. This includes qcf+3,2 / qcf+3,3 / qcf+2,1 / qcf+1

She also has aphrodite's scorn (f+2+3) and the other moves are probably listed in the command list.

sasuke_91

Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxaTA7XtJX4

The possibilities...

Didn't see this until now. A few of those already appeared here as gifs, hilarious compilation :D
One could think that Tekken is some seriously broken game from watching this :p

Sorry for the bad performance today, boutdown. I suck at this game, but not this hard^^
My nephews were distracting me and we were expecting guests, so everything was a little busier than usual. Taking a rest and playing some Tekken was not really possible :p

Manbig

I'm planning too lol. Haven't wanted to touch it in a few days maybe a week. I get urges but I just want another FG to play but there's nothing out I want to play besides.

I would say jump in on VF5FS like Bout just did, but my stick is broken, so I won't be playing that until I fix it.

A bit late to the discussion, but on the topic of hopover strats, that was legit stuff as far back as T3. King especially had some really dirty stuff involving body splash and BT 3. BT 3 against their back basically guaranteed the octopus hold. Hella damage. He could also cross over you after some ground throws if I recall, with f+1+2 lariat.

This is totally the old curmudgeon in me, but I hated that Yoshi 1+4 steal flash. Of all the tricks he's ever had, that one is classified as his biggest gimmick of all, IMO. It was basically a crap shoot most of the time. About the only use I found for it was to trade or escape Jin's JFLS. Some of the shit you could do with it was hilarious tho, like AOP into a low bad breath, or stealing various stances.

Dereck

I find it hysterical when Lee players try to act like they can do b+2~f juggles and then they drop them every time.

I don't even bother because I know I can only do b+2~f,b+2~f,b+2~f once out of 10 tries in practice mode.

I understand that you want to feel like the shit just because you managed to do a b+2~f, b+2~f, b+2~f, f+4,3, but if you can't do it, don't try to come up in online matches trying to be Fighting GM and shit.

I'm about to upload a video of me clowning this Anna player.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
it was goodbye letter.

*gifs*

To:

*gifs*

:(

Also worth to note is his Tag2 ending is the worse he ever got, by looks and everything else. Yes including T1. Look at his disgusting render

*pic*

I like you.

I find it hysterical when Lee players try to act like they can do b+2~f juggles and then they drop them every time.

I don't even bother because I know I can only do b+2~f,b+2~f,b+2~f once out of 10 tries in practice mode.

I understand that you want to feel like the shit just because you managed to do a b+2~f, b+2~f, b+2~f, f+4,3, but if you can't do it, don't try to come up in online matches trying to be Fighting GM and shit.

Nah, if they want to do it that's fine. Online is just glorified practice for things like this since there are people that can do cool stuff in training mode but rarely in matches (like me). I drop Bruce's WS2,1 combo like 70% of the time but I always try it.

Dereck

I don't think I've met an Anna player who didn't play like this. Before the match even started I knew this guy was gonna just spam a bunch of mid/low strings, and low launchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHdHfG3OFXw

Nah, if they want to do it that's fine. Online is just glorified practice for things like this since there are people that can do cool stuff in training mode but rarely in matches (like me). I drop Bruce's WS2,1 combo like 70% of the time but I always try it.
I got ya, maybe that says more about me who rarely takes risks with unfamiliar/difficult combos.

Manbig

That would actually be surprising. Most characters get around a regular throws worth of damage off of a low parry. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it riskier to attempt low parries like it used to be.

Sayah

Can it be argued that Anna has better wall carry than Nina? Strict timing, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6eHf5wttyc

Watch in HD b/c youtube is blurry mess.

EDIT: Tested it out. The shoulder loses out cleanly to the SSR. Gonna head to bed now.

Some last notes before I pass out. Check if she has any way to go into that stance with + frames. I'm sure some of the stuff on hit gives her enough + frames to kill the SSR option, but I don't know about on block.

Also, I've been wanting to maybe stream, or record and upload to youtube videos about requests on researching how to kill certain mix ups. Of course I would be testing with my mains, but more often than not, I'm sure I can figure something out. It'll help both the people that ask and myself. If anyone is interested in such a thing, let me know.

Made a video detailing punishment. Mostly looked at her mid options for punishing SSR + crouch. Her qcf+4 definitely hits. The qcf+3,2 is easily punishable. Importantly, though, the qcf+2,1 will catch SSR. It's a delayble mid-string that's hit confirmable so it's pretty useful against SSR. Also, for punishing d+3,3, it has to be a very well-timed transition from SSR to crouch. Video sort of demonstrates that.

Edit: Also, about the videos on mixups. I would love those. Specifically, I would like something focusing on Hwoarang/Baek because I think that would benefit A LOT of people. I rely on mashing b+1 with Nina during their mixups, which can be effective but not completely the best way to be responding to them as b+1 is easily punishable.

But that's like his best wall carry why not do it? Tbh you really don't play Lee optimally either. b2f is something you need to practice dude.

Top Bottom