• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Degen

TGS is like 2 months away so there might be some info then

but if they don't even have the gameplay mechanics down yet, I wouldn't expect a lot

AAK

Ah well, I can always pray SC6 or VF6 might have a tag #hopeless :p

At least that trailer gave us this manly GIF:

ipGob46SO2Z8i.gif

AAK

I remember watching this back in the day. One video that I'm dying to see is the Bronson vs Slips T5 Nationals finals. I need to see how Slips managed to make the nationals finals with Eddy in a game with T5 Steve,Nina,Bryan,Feng.

Also that vid in the background has this huge sign called "Tekken Lounge". Damn the days when Tekken was so big it'd have it's own dedicated arcade almost.

Sayah

Dang, those are some suuuuper high res GIFs haha. There goes my ability to see this page on mobile :p.

This is the first time I've created them using photoshop too. Before, I just used random gif generator website X.

Now to learn the rest of photoshop, which I have been delaying for a year now, lol.

AAK

Dang now you're a proper GIF Master, all these years I've been cheating with random software that automatically gifs for you haha.

sasuke_91

Nice Sasuke!
I actually get destroyed constantly, but I manage to put some pressure on them sometimes or JFSR their faces after they whiff a move^^

Every german gaming news website I visit says that Tekken 7 will release this year. I have no idea where this information comes from o_O

AAK

I actually get destroyed constantly, but I manage to put some pressure on them sometimes or JFSR their faces after they whiff a move^^

Every german gaming news website I visit says that Tekken 7 will release this year. I have no idea where this information comes from o_O

Speaking of German websites, did you manage to find anyone in your local scene to spar with?

sasuke_91

Speaking of German websites, did you manage to find anyone in your local scene to spar with?
I wanted to wait for that until after I finish my exams. That'll be in two weeks. I could still create an account and see if there even is a chance of finding local competition until then, so thanks for reminding me^^

By the way, AAK, how do you make sure that things like Hwoarang's d4,4 or RFF db3,3 are counterhit? Reacting to the animation would be pretty much impossible for me, so I'd actually have to KNOW that they'll be counterhit. Whenever my opponent is at the wall I just take the risk and go with RFF db3,3 after trying to put some pressure on him. If he manages to duck the second hit, he'll make me fly, so it's either him or me...

AAK

I wanted to wait for that until after I finish my exams. That'll be in two weeks. I could still create an account and see if there even is a chance of finding local competition until then, so thanks for reminding me^^

By the way, AAK, how do you make sure that things like Hwoarang's d4,4 or RFF db3,3 are counterhit? Reacting to the animation would be pretty much impossible for me, so I'd actually have to KNOW that they'll be counterhit. Whenever my opponent is at the wall I just take the risk and go with RFF db3,3 after trying to put some pressure on him. If he manages to duck the second hit, he'll make me fly, so it's either him or me...

The answer is you NEVER use the full string of d+4,4 or d/b+4,4 :p Only time you'd ever use them is for juggles and in d/b+4,4's case for oki. d+4 by itself is also launch punishable... but the good thing is, is that it tracks both ways for Hwoarang. Still a terrible move. I guesss it can also be a valid tool for when you're ki charged haha. Also, d/b+4 is an amazing move because when you cancel it to RFS it becomes safe, and if anyone (except lars) tries to do a WS move on you, RFS f+4,4 will launch them. Hope that helps.

Heihachi might protest that...that was likely after Kazumi passed! Can't put Heihachi under the bus like that lol.

Hey man, I'm not hating... I'd probably do the same if I was stuck with a psycho Devil-possessed woman :p

GrayFoxPL

The answer is you NEVER use the full string of d+4,4 or d/b+4,4 :p Only time you'd ever use them is for juggles and in d/b+4,4's case for oki. d+4 by itself is also launch punishable... but the good thing is, is that it tracks both ways for Hwoarang. Still a terrible move. I guesss it can also be a valid tool for when you're ki charged haha. Also, d/b+4 is an amazing move because when you cancel it to RFS it becomes safe, and if anyone (except lars) tries to do a WS move on you, RFS f+4,4 will launch them. Hope that helps.

Am I the only one who loved db+4 in Tekken 3? On counter it made opponent turn sideways, almost backturn. I loved this shit. Then made into shit that does nothing on ch. Backward progress. :p

Hey man, I'm not hating... I'd probably do the same if I was stuck with a psycho Devil-possessed woman :p

So stuck with any woman? ;P

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Heihachi might protest that...that was likely after Kazumi passed! Can't put Heihachi under the bus like that lol.

AAK making sure all the wheels tread up on Heihachi's honor! :p

But yeah, I'm sure Kazumi was long gone when Heihachi met up with that certain Swedish woman.

So stuck with any woman? ;P

Both of you are terrible!

sasuke_91

Yeah, db4 into RFS is great and also helpful for juggling your opponent after CH ss+4 or u3+4. I didn't know that d4 was already launch punishable. Terrible move indeed.
I played against a Hwo-player once who could launch me with d4,4 everytime he used it (okay, maybe he used it 2-3 times, but still^^), and I normally duck the second hit, so he must have known it would be a counterhit. I thought there was some kind of trick, but I guess there isn't^^

Such a shame we can't play with a stable connection. If anyone of you US-gaffers ever visits Germany, let me know! :D

LowParry

Oh really?

Famitsu: I see. Alright then, when is the next time we will hear an update on Tekken 7?

Harada: Probably just before or after Tokyo Game Show, is what we're looking at for now. That's about slightly more than a month away, but in the meantime do stay tuned to us on Facebook and Twitter. We'll be doling out bits of information over the course. And for the fans, please send us any questions you may have.

SDBurton

Famitsu: What are the objectives you hope to accomplish with Tekken 7?

Harada: There are two main sides to Tekken 7. The first is to neatly tie up all of the storylines that have developed over the course of 20 years for the Tekken series. Since it's Tekken's 20th anniversary, story will play a big part this time around, which is why we wanted to tie things up and reach a conclusion. So in that sense, we hope to be able to wow and recapture the imagination of players who focus on characters and backstories in the games. This will take quite a bit of time to put together, but we have a couple of things in store.

FUCK YES!

Sayah

Doesn't stop people from complaining about the story CG trailer. It makes complete sense for story to be a big focus here if they're planning to completely end the Mishima saga and bring all other character stories to an end as well.

Thinking in the future, if there is a Tekken 8, it's gonna have a completely brand new set of characters. Wow. Or they might just start a new ip.

Also, this portion of the interview pretty much tells me they're gonna focus on making a good tutorial.
Famitsu: What sort of elements have kept these types of beginning players from getting more involved with the games, and how do you plan on refining these elements?

Harada: In Tekken, there's a surprising amount of things you've got to learn. And we think that the problem for beginners is that they don't know which parts to start learning from. This makes it confusing and defrays their focus. So for instance, in 2D fighting games, you could teach new players to "use this move in this way, and you'll be fine". This time around, we'd like to very clearly convey that sort of instruction to the player. We feel that with Tekken thus far, it's quite difficult for these players to tell the various special moves apart, in terms of how strong they are, and so this time we'd like to make that easier to observe.

Manbig

... "taking some effort to review the wake-up system quite extensively"

This changes EVERYTHING. I can feel it guys, T7 is gonna be massively different.

If they want to help low and intermediate level players, then the wake up system is one of the first places that they should look at. I'm sorry, but a game where you can juggle someone for half life + and then just finish them off for one backroll is just not a great idea when you're trying to attract more people to your game. It's one of the reasons I liked the change to backroll catching in Revolution.

AZUMIKE

What's the history of oki/wake-up in Tekken? Like, how have those tactics evolved over the various sequels?

Also, as Harada stated, the Tekken Staff is considering BOTH newcomers and mainstayers alike.

Sayah

This is gonna be the Tekken that shakes everything up. It's gonna be another Tekken 4 (hopefully minus the imbalanced gameplay). They're focusing heavily on story and working to make big system revisions. Plus, Unreal Engine 4 so it's gonna be a big graphics boost.

Seeing as the Tekken team has a lot of experience on their hands (20 years) with developing fighting games, I am optimistic that they will be able to get the balance right.

AAK

If they want to help low and intermediate level players, then the wake up system is one of the first places that they should look at. I'm sorry, but a game where you can juggle someone for half life + and then just finish them off for one backroll is just not a great idea when you're trying to attract more people to your game. It's one of the reasons I liked the change to backroll catching in Revolution.

I assumed TR would have been sufficient, I never anticipated they'd go even further. I just hope they don't go too overboard. It's looking like movement is gonna be easier/stronger, it's looking like combo's are gonna be much shorter/less damaging, and it's now looking like the wake up game is becoming a lot more forgiving as well. This is very interesting, I'm super curious to see how this will all pan out.

What's the history of oki/wake-up in Tekken? Like, how have those tactics evolved over the various sequels?

Also, as Harada stated, the Tekken Staff is considering BOTH newcomers and mainstayers alike.

I'm not the best person to ask considering how I really need to have REALLY played the previous games to have a comprehensive understanding... but from what I understand the wake up system's foundation was laid in TTT1 and consistently been refined through T5, DR, and 6. TTT2 only added tag crash and kept everything else identical to T6. TR was the first time aspects of the wake up system were removed. With Harada's words, this will be the first time since 1998 I suppose where a completely new system for wake up is being implemented.

Manbig

I only go back as far as Tekken 5.0 in learning mechanics, but here's what I recall.

Tekken 5.0 - Teching (quick sideroll) meant that you couldn't block low. You might not have been able to block at all, but I don't recall it exactly. I'm just 100% sure that you couldn't block low because that's why Bryan was able to land d/f3 at the end of his wall combos. Basically, Bryan, with his crazy ass wall carry, would end his wall combo with f1,2,1 and then d/f3. You HAD to stay down and just eat the d/f3. If you tried to get up in any way, the d/f3 will hit you and then he would just combo into d3+4,2,3 (I think that was the string) and right into another d/f3, and you would pretty much be dead.

Tekken 5.1/DR - I actually forget which game they added this in, but around here is when they gave you the ability to block normally after techs. Jump overs vs techs was very strong though because characters used to turn around WAY slower in these games. It's the kind of stuff that allowed for jump over into crouch jab landing on a characters back and then you would get a free launcher. Mojo actually used this to great effect vs Crow in the Clash 2007 grand finals. While it wasn't off of an oki situation, he got a lot of mileage out of jumping over Crow and getting backturned stuff. Here's an example from that very match.

Tekken 6 - This is where they gave characters the ability to turn around super fast, so a lot of that jump over tech became limited to just crouch jab into super fast stuff, like Marduk crouch jab into WS1,2. What was added though was juggle resets. Basically, there were certain situations where a character could let you fall out of a juggle, but be refloated, which allowed for an extended juggle. The only way to stop this was to get up quickly by teching. The popular "mix up" in these situations was to use an unblockable with some sort of tracking for when the character techs, or go for the reset. Bryan was the most effective at this with his taunt cancel into jet upper being his unblockable option.

From what I recall, those are the major differences between the games. The oki stuff that has carried over between them all was stuff like floating opponents out of backrolls. Backroll catches in particular actually got buffed with the inclusion of the bound system, because before Tekken 6, getting a full juggle off of a backroll catch was actually exclusive to maybe half of the cast.

The other thing about oki that carried over is being able to score mids at the end of a quick backroll. This requires good timing, and you typically have to be right on top of the character during oki to be able to land this. Certain characters are better at this particular backroll catch while other characters are better at floating the backroll early.

Last, but not least, there's the exclusive club of characters that will make you hurt a lot for simply staying on the floor. Marduk is particularly nasty at this because his ground throws are the most damaging in the game. Stomp style moves also actually got beefed up in Tag 2 due to them now being unscaled. It used to be something like 70% damage for grounded hitting moves, but now you get the full 135% damage for them. Personally, I like this change and hope that they keep it going forward.

So yeah, I might have made some mistakes and I probably forgot a few things, but those are the major points that I remember.

SDBurton

Doesn't stop people from complaining about the story CG trailer. It makes complete sense for story to be a big focus here if they're planning to completely end the Mishima saga and bring all other character stories to an end as well.

Thinking in the future, if there is a Tekken 8, it's gonna have a completely brand new set of characters. Wow. Or they might just start a new ip.

It's crazy man. I'm feeling pretty confident that Tekken 8 will be a time skip now, and with that a fresh set of characters to boot! So excited at what lies ahead of us in the future!

Sayah

It's crazy man. I'm feeling pretty confident that Tekken 8 will be a time skip now, and with that a fresh set of characters to boot! So excited at what lies ahead of us in the future!

Nina and Anna go back into cyro sleep and come back 100 years later for Tekken 8. :)
That would be a glorious future.

SDBurton

Nina and Anna go back into cyro sleep and come back 100 years later for Tekken 8. :)
That would be a glorious future.

I was going to make a joke on how Jin and Hwoarang may make an appearance as old dudes, while all the ladies would've been hit with the oh so convenient cryostasis capsule but I figured you would.

You didn't disappoint! :p

Is it wrong that I want
Steve to have a daughter who follows in his footsteps in becoming a pro boxer? Vanessa (KOF) let's goooooooooo

Sayah

I was going to make a joke on how Jin and Hwoarang may make an appearance as old dudes, while all the ladies would've been hit with the oh so convenient cryostasis capsule but I figured you would.

You didn't disappoint! :p

Is it wrong that I want
Steve to have a daughter who follows in his footsteps in becoming a pro boxer? Vanessa (KOF) let's goooooooooo

Hell naw, there is nothing wrong with that. Would be all ready for a female boxer.

Also, where does the "Fox" in Steve Fox come from?......since people were contemplating who Steve's father is in FGW.

SDBurton

Hell naw, there is nothing wrong with that. Would be all ready for a female boxer.

Also, where does the "Fox" in Steve Fox come from?......since people were contemplating who Steve's father is in FGW.

Maybe he got it from Leo's mom Emma who took care of him while he was being treated as a test subject. His subject name is NT01, but Emma, one of the scientists that were part of his project, addressed him as Steve. While TTT2 is non-canon out of the main series, I feel that endings like this that build upon a character that they otherwise would not have the time to do seem legit and provide some helpful tidbits on what to expect further down the line. And now that we have confirmation from Harada-san himself expressing his intent on wrapping up loose ends with characters, I'm incredibly excited to see what will occur between Steve and Leo.

AAK

Bloodhawk predicted during his stream that the dude opening the door to face Kazumi is young Wang. haha, that would be something.

AZUMIKE

AAK & Manbig, thanks for the insight regarding wakeup/oki.

Looking forward to see what the system mechanics will look like. Also, IIRC, T7 (with all of its mechanics) is likely to be tested in the arcade first before a possible updated console release.

Sayah

Maybe he got it from Leo's mom Emma who took care of him while he was being treated as a test subject. His subject name is NT01, but Emma, one of the scientists that were part of his project, addressed him as Steve. While TTT2 is non-canon out of the main series, I feel that endings like this that build upon a character that they otherwise would not have the time to do seem legit and provide some helpful tidbits on what to expect further down the line. And now that we have confirmation from Harada-san himself expressing his intent on wrapping up loose ends with characters, I'm incredibly excited to see what will occur between Steve and Leo.

Oh wow, I didn't even know about this Steve and Leo link. Very interesting.

I also imagine they're done with goofy endings for a lot of the characters (sans Tekken 5, 6, and TTT2). This is the end so some serious ish is gonna go down.

Top Bottom