• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

I'm kind of getting tired of this game, hmmm.
In a months time, it will have been two years. I wish I could get tired of this game and move onto something else but it's all I play. Any time I start a new SP adventure, I just get bored and come back to this.

Smash Bros 4 will be my main game when it releases, though. I wished it had ranks but Nintendo being Nintendo.

GrayFoxPL

LOL has that happened to you before though? #SIMULTANEOUSLYBUFFNERFLARS

Not like this, but it froze while quitting online mode.

But today I noticed frame drops in practice mode when psn notifications poped up. It must be the heat, the console must be burning in this temperature.

I forgot. Good games Doomshine. I noticed I have little bigger chance to win on infinite stages thus not being raped by walls, lol.
That Ganryu was too funny. Getting K.O.'d by hit grabs - lol. Ganryu Feng looked like a team from Sammo Hung comedy :D.

sasuke_91

I don't know
I always picked up a new character when I felt that the game bores me. So yeah, go play Steve and Xiaoyu, the fun never ends ;)
But seriouly, the last time I felt bored was before joining Tekken GAF, because I didn't really make any progress. Seeing yourself getting better at the game every day is really motivating.

Drop the game for a while, you'll come back sooner or later.

Sayah

Why would that matter?

I personally don't care about the rank itself but more so about the competition involved in ranking matches. More people play seriously when there's something on the line. Then again, I'm always fooling around in ranked matches too so I don't know.

Its like asking why have leaderboards? Its just a nice thing to have even though people at the top positions may have boosted their way there.

Dereck

I personally don't care about the rank itself but more so about the competition involved in ranking matches. More people play seriously when there's something on the line. Then again, I'm always fooling around in ranked matches too so I don't know.

Its like asking why have leaderboards? Its just a nice thing to have even though people at the top positions may have boosted their way there.
You need to get at me when you buy a Wii U. I will be ready. Who do you play with?

I don't have a main or anything but when I did play offline sessions a year ago I was messing around with Luigi a lot.

av2k

I know nothing of Smash brothers but I enjoyed watching it at EVO. Very hype game, every hit, everyone was yelling at the top of their lungs. I loved it. Maybe I'll pick it up one day on the off chance I get a Nintendo system.

AAK

UK Tekken stream is back! Love watching these guys play:

http://www.twitch.tv/thewonderpark/

Looking to get back into the game but it's been quite a long time since I played. I'm sure the rust is very strong in me which will require major practice time.

I'm Canada but EST too. My PSN is AAK0924, hit this thread anytime you're one and we can definitely play.

@boutdown Remember if you're getting tired of Tekken I'd love to play other stuff like SCV, VF5, DOA5, etc. too!

As for Smash Bro's I was committed to getting a WiiU after E3 but after a while I just don't see myself really playing 2D fighters... I just don't enjoy them as much anymore :(

I'll see if my mind changes when the WiiU SSB & GGXrd release this December.

I'll try to get the lever thing sorted out tomorrow Manny, my back is improving. I can walk again at least haha.

sasuke_91

Too bad the game is not crossplay. I'll get it for my 3DS (I don't have a Wii U).

Good games GrayFoxPL and Doomshine. My execution was a little off sometimes, other than that, fun games today. Doomshine, those win streaks will stop someday, I promise :p

my back is improving. I can walk again at least haha.

This alone sounds kind of painful. Hope you'll get better soon.

GrayFoxPL

Too bad the game is not crossplay. I'll get it for my 3DS (I don't have a Wii U).

Good games GrayFoxPL and Doomshine. My execution was a little off sometimes, other than that, fun games today. Doomshine, those win streaks will stop someday, I promise :p

Good games. It was hard to keep up with you today. My bastard Paul saved the day somewhat.

AAK you better rest, man. Let shit heal.

AAK

Just remember that whenever you lift something... USE YOUR LEGS!

Or start going to gym so your body can take it :p

Sayah

@boutdown
I use a lot of characters: Puff, PIka, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Peach, Mario, Pit, MetaKnight, Toon Link, and others. If I had to pick a main, I suppose it would be Pika or Peach.

@AAK
Smash is more like a 2.5D fighter. It's also not like any of your traditional 2D fighters so the comparison is not very apt imo. Have you played any Smash games before? It's very easy to get into.
Also, get well very soon. Didn't know you got hurt.

@av2k
Yeah, pick up Smash. It's a lot of fun. I want to face people from here. I'm optimistic the netcode will be great as well since Namco is working on it.

sasuke_91

Good games GrayFoxPL. I actually met the guy we played with earlier in ranked. He was a Brawler with Lee at that time and won 3-2 against me. I wasn't even mad and felt like he deserved it, so I hit him a message saying "gg, nice Lee".
After that we played for an hour at least and I added him to my friends list. One of the veery few positive experiences I had in ranked matches^^

GrayFoxPL

Good games GrayFoxPL. I actually met the guy we played with earlier in ranked. He was a Brawler with Lee at that time and won 3-2 against me. I wasn't even mad and felt like he deserved it, so I hit him a message saying "gg, nice Lee".
After that we played for an hour at least and I added him to my friends list. One of the veery few positive experiences I had in ranked matches^^

Good games man. Yeah he has cool Lee and Hwoarang. We gotta steal his Hwo technique where on recovery he does RFF df+4 F,(flamingo) 4. Done fast like 2 hit combo. Very good stuff. Got hit every time.

Also he sidewalks so good. I actually had to remember homing moves since he was so hard to hit. I only hit him once with my T6 Jin setup 1,2,3 , 1~3~3, df+2+3.

He sidewalked me to the left so easily that he was almost at my back by the time 1~3~3 animation stopped. Scary as shit!

I had to adjust my playstyle so I either constantly corrected position facing him sidestepping or maximize tracking at close range.
Interesting dude. I need to learn sidewalk like him, lol.

Though later lag spikes started, you saw that. We played some more after you left but that sudden lag slow motion was a problem. Not sure why he decided to play solo Jin against me, his teams were much much better. Maybe he practiced him.

AAK

Only Smash I ever touched was the original on N64 randomly when I was like 11 years old haha. Haven't owned a Nintendo system after SNES. I did buy Playstation All Stars Battle Royale though. It had a very solid fighting system but stupid kill mechanic that kinda destroyed the balance of the game for me. It never was something that could ever take my time away from the true 3D games.

As for Smash WiiU I'll see how things are in December... I will after all have to invest in a completely brand new system after all, a little tough pill to swallow :(

Sayah

Wii U sale is tough because third parties are bailing on it. But that has sort of always been the case with their home consoles. You buy them for the Nintendo exclusives, which are very worthwhile. Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros, and new Zelda game is enough reason for me to buy it. I just hope there's a price drop to $250 when Smash releases.

Also, I played a little bit of PSABR and it felt very dull in comparison to Smash. Aside from being a complete rip off, it felt like a bad rip off. Or at least that was the opinion I formed from what little I played of it.

sasuke_91

Good games man. Yeah he has cool Lee and Hwoarang. We gotta steal his Hwo technique where on recovery he does RFF df+4 F,(flamingo) 4. Done fast like 2 hit combo. Very good stuff. Got hit every time.

Also he sidewalks so good. I actually had to remember homing moves since he was so hard to hit. I only hit him once with my T6 Jin setup 1,2,3 , 1~3~3, df+2+3.

He sidewalked me to the left so easily that he was almost at my back by the time 1~3~3 animation stopped. Scary as shit!

I had to adjust my playstyle so I either constantly corrected position facing him sidestepping or maximize tracking at close range.
Interesting dude. I need to learn sidewalk like him, lol.

Though later lag spikes started, you saw that. We played some more after you left but that sudden lag slow motion was a problem. Not sure why he decided to play solo Jin against me, his teams were much much better. Maybe he practiced him.

I like the way you analyze your opponents. Really interesting to read, because I play him so often yet never really noticed those things. But yeah, his sidesteps and also punishment are really good.
He likes to play solo in general, not really sure why. Often times he also doesn't tag assault. It's weird to play tag against a solo opponent.

The thing with the slow-downs was too bad. How many bars did you get with him? Maybe I should host next, since I live like... in the middle of you two :p

GrayFoxPL

I like the way you analyze your opponents. Really interesting to read, because I play him so often yet never really noticed those things. But yeah, his sidesteps and also punishment are really good.
He likes to play solo in general, not really sure why. Often times he also doesn't tag assault. It's weird to play tag against a solo opponent.

The thing with the slow-downs was too bad. How many bars did you get with him? Maybe I should host next, since I live like... in the middle of you two :p

Thanks man, appreciate your opinion!

He also tends to duck after his attack is blocked, anticipating high jabs as a counter attack then he WS attacks. I got lots of hopkicks and Kaz's df+1,2 in later because of that. He set up's counter hits by not finishing combos with big hit so he can catch close tech rolling opponents in another set up or rejuggle. I couldn't raw tag out because he kept rejuggling me, but only enough to let me try raw tag again. Like 2-4 times in a row. Sneaky. Time to steal strategies, lol.

I had 4-5 bars with him at the start, but later we fought it fell to 1-3 during fights. Someone must been downloading stuff on his connection, I can't explain it otherwise.

I know deathfist is a bitch, but from mid to high distance just casually sidestep and sidewalk and deathfist is nullified and if I try it you have time to punish with any launcher.
At close range it's tougher because although this doesn't really track it still has some hit box on the sides. Not as ridiculous as in older Tekkens where you could sometimes hit opponents standing totally on your side with deathfist, but a tiny little bit of that is left I noticed today. That's why I hit you when you tried to sidestep at close range and your back was against the wall. I always try to hit deathfist deep, because it's the most damage. So yeah, very close range block, further away sidestep.

Deathfist can also be stopped by fast multi hit strings. Because Paul actually sticks his head or whatever first before punch.
When we played there was this situation: You did backturn move with Ling, maybe it was ff+3 b. When I saw that I instantly tried to deathfist you in the back, but as soon as you turned around, you did 2,1,4 and I got hit by 1,4 part of the string and got launched.
Things like that. Lee's f+3,3,3,3... series will also stop deathfist in it's tracks. That's against deathfist happy Pauls. Like me, lol.
That's all IMO of course.

sasuke_91

He also tends to duck after his attack is blocked, anticipating high jabs as a counter attack then he WS attacks. I got lots of hopkicks and Kaz's df+1,2 in later because of that. He set up's counter hits by not finishing combos with big hit so he can catch close tech rolling opponents in another set up or rejuggle. I couldn't raw tag out because he kept rejuggling me, but only enough to let me try raw tag again. Like 2-4 times in a row. Sneaky. Time to steal strategies, lol.

You did the thing with the WS launchers against me a lot. Those little mind games you always do with Kazuya got me everytime, I have to stay concentrated^^

I know deathfist is a bitch, but from mid to high distance just casually sidestep and sidewalk and deathfist is nullified and if I try it you have time to punish with any launcher.
At close range it's tougher because although this doesn't really track it still has some hit box on the sides. Not as ridiculous as in older Tekkens where you could sometimes hit opponents standing totally on your side with deathfist, but a tiny little bit of that is left I noticed today. That's why I hit you when you tried to sidestep at close range and your back was against the wall. I always try to hit deathfist deep, because it's the most damage. So yeah, very close range block, further away sidestep.

Deathfist can also be stopped by fast multi hit strings. Because Paul actually sticks his head or whatever first before punch.
When we played there was this situation: You did backturn move with Ling, maybe it was ff+3 b. When I saw that I instantly tried to deathfist you in the back, but as soon as you turned around, you did 2,1,4 and I got hit by 1,4 part of the string and got launched.
Things like that. Lee's f+3,3,3,3... series will also stop deathfist in it's tracks. That's against deathfist happy Pauls. Like me, lol.
That's all IMO of course.

Oh yeah, I noticed that I couldn't sidestep deathfists from up close. The damage is devastating, got really mad when I got hit^^

Dereck

Wii U sale is tough because third parties are bailing on it. But that has sort of always been the case with their home consoles. You buy them for the Nintendo exclusives, which are very worthwhile. Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros, and new Zelda game is enough reason for me to buy it. I just hope there's a price drop to $250 when Smash releases.

Also, I played a little bit of PSABR and it felt very dull in comparison to Smash. Aside from being a complete rip off, it felt like a bad rip off. Or at least that was the opinion I formed from what little I played of it.
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200

GrayFoxPL

A little explanation why they picked UE4:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nfcq93

Wonder when we see a gameplay demo.

I picked up King today and I'm officially old - I can't do rolling death cradle anymore.
I paired him with Kuma. Totally dumb team with low damage juggles, but Kuma getting juggles almost only by tag bufferable launchers is pretty educating. Kuma f+1+2 tag King df+4,3 ,f+1, b+2, 1+2 bound gives a full combo. Obamanotbad.jpg

Though overall I hope King (and Kuma) gets major overhaul in T7.

Kuma's animation is so fucking bad. ><

GrayFoxPL

His hitbox is even worse. Doesn't make sense :p

Sorry boutdown, didn't see your invitation until later when I logged in again. Next time^^

Wonder if they cut Kuma from T7 for the first time ever.

I'm watching tag throw compilations and wtf so many original tag throw combinations I didn't see.

Miguel has tag throw with Kazuya.

Kazuya has with Alex. Probably because Kazuya - Alex connection in Tekken 2.

King has with Feng.

A.King has with Kuma.

Boskonovitch has a hilarious throw with P.Jack.

Wow. My teams never have tag throws :\.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah.

Guys do you notice how character endings lead to something but next sequel doesn't really follow?

Like in Bryan's T4 ending he was dying and was said that Bosconovitch will make him new body. So people were like "Holy shit. Bryan in T5 is gonna be Terminator!" But they backpedaled it, he didn't get new body because some bullshit excuse.

Yoshimitsu and Bryan keep killing each other in their endings but it none of it actually ever happens.
It would be nice if at least one of them, or both, look damaged in sequel as a proof 2 deadly cyborgs were fighting each other. T7?

Since T3 it seems the true ending is Jin's and we know what happened to other characters through their prologue in new game. That's lame.

They said they'll wrap up the stories in T7 but I don't believe it's gonna be satisfying conclusion. Not after the carefree "we don't give a fuck" and "trollolol" attitude to characters and story they had post T4. They even made Steve's story go nowhere so they put him as one of 3 stooges along with Paul and Marshall in T6.

Though it would be hilarious if his ending was canon and Paul with Law are dead or badly injured in T7.

i0NwIXBMl6yU9.gif

(Dat emotion: "Woah! Wait, I don't care.")

Their costumes would consist of burned hair, dusted faces, torn costumes and bandaged arms and legs. Hah, that would be funny.

Harada make the stories 1/5th decent pls.

AAK

Judging by the concept art alone, I think they're gonna keep the ridiculousness of Tekken 6. I mean just look at Lars:

tumblr_n9wbmtTVvL1re9fe1o2_1280.jpg

He looks wackier and more anime than his original concept art:

iN4gf4xw0iZKQ.jpg

Regardless, I'm still interested in seeing the character designs from the guest artists... I just have no hope to see them return to Tekken 4 era serious styles:

Lei-T4-concept.jpg
Lee_Chaolan_-_Player_Two_Costume_-_Tekken_4.jpg
Paul-t4_concept.jpg

I know it's just costumes, but I think it'll reflect in the story. Kazuya going all Super Saiyan in the reveal trailer also doesn't instill much hope for me either in that regard. I'm sure we're getting that DBZ crazy finale.

Ah well, watching this video just makes me sad about Tag going. Damn do I love it.

daydream

Banned
I just got this game for my WiiU since I really wanted to play some Tekken. Seems awesome so far.

Question: Is there no way to let it check off the moves in training mode aka see if you pull them off correctly? I only managed to scroll through the moves manually with (-)+R which is awkward to say the least, and there's no feedback if I did it right.

Doomshine

I just got this game for my WiiU since I really wanted to play some Tekken. Seems awesome so far.

Question: Is there no way to let it check off the moves in training mode aka see if you pull them off correctly? I only managed to scroll through the moves manually with (-)+R which is awkward to say the least, and there's no feedback if I did it right.

Not really, you can check the demo if you want make sure.

GrayFoxPL

Judging by the concept art alone, I think they're gonna keep the ridiculousness of Tekken 6. I mean just look at Lars:

tumblr_n9wbmtTVvL1re9fe1o2_1280.jpg

He looks wackier and more anime than his original concept art:

iN4gf4xw0iZKQ.jpg

Regardless, I'm still interested in seeing the character designs from the guest artists... I just have no hope to see them return to Tekken 4 era serious styles:

Lei-T4-concept.jpg
Lee_Chaolan_-_Player_Two_Costume_-_Tekken_4.jpg
Paul-t4_concept.jpg

I know it's just costumes, but I think it'll reflect in the story. Kazuya going all Super Saiyan in the reveal trailer also doesn't instill much hope for me either in that regard. I'm sure we're getting that DBZ crazy finale.

Ah well, watching this video just makes me sad about Tag going. Damn do I love it.

Yeah.

I still don't understand if the guest designers are doing main costumes this time or 3p like always.

That Lars would be much better without the lion on the arm. The shattered cape looks awful though.

I keep thinking how he got a new armor. Isn't he a rebel? He stole a wardrobe of Tekken Force armors? Lol.

But If everyone gets new main costumes I'm cool with that.

Tekken 4 costumes were so good and made sense.

mr_boo

I've always hated Lars' default hair. His hair alone is reason I've never tried playing with him. Seriously, how much prep work, hair spray and teasing does it take before the match to get it to look that way?

Sayah

That Lili costume is not in TTT2. But she has a new one in place of that.

I always check the demo. If you're in the command list and select a move, it'll show you a demo of how the move is performed.

Also, very important for practice:

1. Position Reset. If you mess a combo/have a wall in the way and want the stage to reset to the original position, you press select + X on dualshock. Not sure what the WIi U equivalent of that is. You have to go into the battle position settings to do this.

2. On-screen Command List You can go through each move (and also demo it) with an on-screen command list. This way you can avoid having to pause each time you want to do a command. I generally go through a character's entire command list this way.
0.jpg

3. Record function. You can change from freestyle mode to defense training in practice. Doing this will allow you to pick the cpu and have the cpu perform any attack. You can record the attack yourself or choose it from the command list. This is very useful when you are having trouble with a certain character's move or moves and can learn how to punish it with your own character on block.

GrayFoxPL

I've always hated Lars' default hair. His hair alone is reason I've never tried playing with him. Seriously, how much prep work, hair spray and teasing does it take before the match to get it to look that way?

He has Mishima blood.

All of Mishimas hair stand up because of electricity their bodies generate.

Lars was anime from day 1, there's no reason to dial it down since people love him (ahahaha but they do). The other older core characters may get changed depending on how they fit into the story. C'mon man it's Tekken, devils and animals and robots are all silly stuff that's core to the franchise at this point. Presentation will be the key.

daydream

Banned
That Lili costume is not in TTT2. But she has a new one in place of that.

I always check the demo. If you're in the command list and select a move, it'll show you a demo of how the move is performed.

Also, very important for practice:

Yeah, I saw a similar one. I guess that'll have to do, haha.

Thanks for the tips. I figured most of that stuff out by myself, actually, but even with the commands on-screen, you still have to cycle through them (with a weird button combination, no less), so it's far from ideal. I won't be using training mode that much, so it's not a huge deal, of course. I just went through Lili's moves, that will suffice for now.

Next task is to find a tag team partner. I think I played quite a bit of Paul and Heihachi and 5, but I'm not feeling them atm.

Sayah

Yeah, I saw a similar one. I guess that'll have to do, haha.

Thanks for the tips. I figured most of that stuff out by myself, actually, but even with the commands on-screen, you still have to cycle through them (with a weird button combination, no less), so it's far from ideal. I won't be using training mode that much, so it's not a huge deal, of course. I just went through Lili's moves, that will suffice for now.

Next task is to find a tag team partner. I think I played quite a bit of Paul and Heihachi and 5, but I'm not feeling them atm.

If you are having trouble finding a tag partner, just use Sebastian for the mean time. He plays almost exactly like Lili outside of a few changes.

Ah. I stopped buying refurbished products after that one time I got a PS2 that stopped working a few months later. Though, Nintendo consoles do have a pretty good life expectancy so maybe I'll give this a shot.

LowParry

Ah. I stopped buying refurbished products after that one time I got a PS2 that stopped working a few months later. Though, Nintendo consoles do have a pretty good life expectancy so maybe I'll give this a shot.

I actually got me one of those refurbs. Perfect machine. I highly recommend it.

LowParry

Now that you're recommending it........I may just have to give in. :p

Plus, I have TTT2 Wii U version and I want to play Tekken Ball.

I still need to pick that up. And the Nintendo outfits looks great. I'd just stick to offline play though. Can't play for crap on a gamepad. Plus! Hyrule Warriors. Game looks like some damn good fun.

Edit: And now that you remind, I just purchased TTT2 for the Wii U. The wife is now happy she can play her damned Lili as Princess Peach. Pff.

Top Bottom