• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

sasuke_91

I'm gonna help you any way I can, buddy.

Definitely go on a tourney, the experience will be priceless.

I knew I could count on you :)

Yeah, I'm already pretty excited. I won't make it very far, but the experience is worth it!
And maybe I can find some guys I can spar with more regularly ;)

What nights is everyone playing? Been doing a lot of T:Revolution and am hitting my limit. Started playing this more in the past week after moving.

What region?

GrayFoxPL

I knew I could count on you :)

Yeah, I'm already pretty excited. I won't make it very far, but the experience is worth it!
And maybe I can find some guys I can spar with more regularly ;)

Don't say you wont make it very far, everyone will be nervous. Play more ranked just to get used to more stress.

Yeah and spar with anyone you can.

You gonna focus on Hwoarang + Steve with Xiaoyu + Lee backup?

Sayah

LOL. This custom.

@AAK: There don't seem to be many Offline Sessions in my area, but it looks like there's going to be a small Fighting Game tournament in Frankfurt in Octobre. Some guys want to organize one for TTT2. They call it Hessen Crash.

I think of going there. Who wants to help me get ready until then?^^

I'll have to remember to add you over the weekend. Should be able to play Friday and Saturday night.

That's just an old samsung lcd. I spent like a year calibrating it. On that Philippines stage once characters enter shadows I can't see anything. Literally fighting blind until sun rises on round 2. For my sake I hope they are done with the insane lightning contrast in Tekken 7. This really isn't doing the gameplay any favors.

Looks pretty great to me.

And yes, Philippines stage has the most awkward lighting. TTT2 stages, overall, are all over the place. Some stages feel "right" and others just are really out of place or look like they were done with a different graphics engine. I love arena and the fishing stage. The lighting in the arena stage is especially phenomenal.
What nights is everyone playing? Been doing a lot of T:Revolution and am hitting my limit. Started playing this more in the past week after moving.

I can usually only play weekends.

Sayah

Oh, MuecoB^^
I know this guy. A german Ling-player, very talented. He's on my friends list.

That would be great. I hope the connection doesn't fail on us. I get a pretty good connection with boutdown and Famicom. I hope we can play at 2-3 bars at least.

I hope it runs well. My connection runs nicely so I'm optimistic. :)

AAK

@AAK: There don't seem to be many Offline Sessions in my area, but it looks like there's going to be a small Fighting Game tournament in Frankfurt in Octobre. Some guys want to organize one for TTT2. They call it Hessen Crash.

I think of going there. Who wants to help me get ready until then?^^

Awesome! Definitely go man :) Glad you found some offline scene to participate with. I've made some real good friends as well through tournaments. Congrats.

Off Topic: Also remember guys how my back muscle got pulled after the heavy lifting? Another thing that happened to me during those labor works is that I got a lot of blisters and calluses on me foot as well. Now bacteria got through those cracks on the calluses on my skin and have infected my foot. When I first saw it I thought it was Athlete's foot and started applying the treatment. It kept getting exponentially worse until the pain was unbearable until I finally went and saw a doctor... only for her to tell me I was making it worse the entire time with the ointment. Doc said I can't have anything touching my feet for at least 7 days and I'm on 4 daily antibiotics. I can't even go to work now :( this sucks.

Don't be hero guys and try to treat your own wounds like Rambo using google... see a DOC ASAP :(

Manbig

Awesome! Definitely go man :) Glad you found some offline scene to participate with. I've made some real good friends as well through tournaments. Congrats.

Off Topic: Also remember guys how my back muscle got pulled after the heavy lifting? Another thing that happened to me during those labor works is that I got a lot of blisters and calluses on me foot as well. Now bacteria got through those cracks on the calluses on my skin and have infected my foot. When I first saw it I thought it was Athlete's foot and started applying the treatment. It kept getting exponentially worse until the pain was unbearable until I finally went and saw a doctor... only for her to tell me I was making it worse the entire time with the ointment. Doc said I can't have anything touching my feet for at least 7 days and I'm on 4 daily antibiotics. I can't even go to work now :( this sucks.

Don't be hero guys and try to treat your own wounds like Rambo using google... see a DOC ASAP :(

Good god, man! I hope you at least have a handheld, or something to entertain yourself with.

AAK

I'm easily entertained LOL. Currently lying down and playing Tales of Xillia/surfing the internet/reading this random history book

Manbig

I'm easily entertained LOL. Currently lying down and playing Tales of Xillia/surfing the internet/reading this random history book

Tales of Xillia is pretty dumb, but Tales combat is always great. I wish they allowed for online multiplayer. I usually play through them locally with my friend, but would be perfect with online play.

AAK

I'm just finishing it for completion's sake.... There are way too many characters that unlikable. Elise, Rowen, Leia all suck and don't belong. Milla totally doesn't act like a God. The story premise is cool with the whole Spirits-Human symbiosis, but man do the characters suck. And yeah, the combat definitely is fun... but I just don't care enough for me to get good at it. I normally don't play JRPG's but somehow I ended up impulse buying it just because I never tried a Tales game before. I think it'll be my last too. One game I did buy was Ni No Kuni because of how much of a Studio Ghibli fan I am. Not looking forward to the gameplay though haha.

And how did you play that game multiplayer? Doesn't the whole Linking mechanic fall apart in multiplayer?

sasuke_91

I hope it runs well. My connection runs nicely so I'm optimistic. :)

Sounds great. You'll host then, my router doesn't like for me to be the host :p

Thanks man. I'm really hyped already. I played some really good german players, so this should get exciting.
I hope this will work out. Hessen Crash is actually a tournament for 2D fighters mostly. Last time, the guys from Tekkentreff (the forum you showed me) managed to organize a TTT2 session and they plan to do so again this time.
So, no guaranteed Tekken session, but I'm pretty optimistic :)

The thing with your foot is too bad. I'm also someone who only goes to the doctor as a last option, so we have to learn the hard way sometimes. Rest a little, these seven days shall pass quick^^

Tales of Xillia is pretty dumb, but Tales combat is always great. I wish they allowed for online multiplayer. I usually play through them locally with my friend, but would be perfect with online play.

Milla is the worst character I've seen in a long time. You can't really like or hate her, because she has no personality. And what were they thinking when they designed her hair? :D
The game was a little too easy, but overall the gameplay was fun.

Good games GrayFoxPL and Doomshine. GrayFox, I was laughing really hard when you were like "the fun is over" and brought out King and Kuma. Kuma is a hilarious character, you should main him :p

Manbig

I'm just finishing it for completion's sake.... There are way too many characters that unlikable. Elise, Rowen, Leia all suck and don't belong. Milla totally doesn't act like a God. The story premise is cool with the whole Spirits-Human symbiosis, but man do the characters suck. And yeah, the combat definitely is fun... but I just don't care enough for me to get good at it. I normally don't play JRPG's but somehow I ended up impulse buying it just because I never tried a Tales game before. I think it'll be my last too. One game I did buy was Ni No Kuni because of how much of a Studio Ghibli fan I am. Not looking forward to the gameplay though haha.

And how did you play that game multiplayer? Doesn't the whole Linking mechanic fall apart in multiplayer?

Milla is the worst character I've seen in a long time. You can't really like or hate her, because she has no personality. And what were they thinking when they designed her hair? :D
The game was a little too easy, but overall the gameplay was fun.

I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to a Tales game for the story, then you're doing it wrong. If you want to play one with one of the more likable main characters, then I strongly recommend Tales of Vesperia for the 360.

As far as multiplayer goes, you can still play 2 player easily with the link system. Your friend and you just have to link with the 2 AI teammates.

GrayFoxPL

Good games GrayFoxPL and Doomshine. GrayFox, I was laughing really hard when you were like "the fun is over" and brought out King and Kuma. Kuma is a hilarious character, you should main him :p

Good games, you played great today. The tempo you have going is really good. You got tons of counter hits on Doomshine, I can't do that. I can only say that you risk a lot by tagging out at the last second. It's good to rebuild that red health eg when one character goes under 60% health.

Haha dat Kuma, funny thing is if I remembered the combos I'd win that random fight. ;)

AAK

I suppose that is my problem with single player games.... I put a lot of weight onto the story as for the reward of doing the gameplay sections haha. Fighting games are where I can forget about the story since the reward is all about besting another human opponent... I just don't get that same satisfaction playing against AI :(

Manbig

I suppose that is my problem with single player games.... I put a lot of weight onto the story as for the reward of doing the gameplay sections haha. Fighting games are where I can forget about the story since the reward is all about besting another human opponent... I just don't get that same satisfaction playing against AI :(

Persona 3 and 4 are the games that you're looking for then. I'm ESPECIALLY fond of Persona 4.

sasuke_91

I normally don't play JRPG's

I basically learned English through JRPGs and anime. They rarely localized the games back in the PS1 era, so we had no chance but to learn proper English in order to understand the story. Great times, a shame we don't have this many strong JRPGs on the PS3.

Good games, you played great today. The tempo you have going is really good. You got tons of counter hits on Doomshine, I can't do that. I can only say that you risk a lot by tagging out at the last second. It's good to rebuild that red health eg when one character goes under 60% health.

Haha dat Kuma, funny thing is if I remembered the combos I'd win that random fight. ;)
Thanks, today was one of the good days, where everything works as planned :p
I'm an idiot when it comes to raw tag. And I'm too greedy, so whenever I have rage, I want to keep it and raw tag, get caught in a juggle and lose both a ton of life and rage.

Kuma could become your secret weapon against Doomshine^^

AAK

Persona 3 and 4 are the games that you're looking for then. I'm ESPECIALLY fond of Persona 4.

I do have an issue with those kinda games though... they're STRICTLY turn based. I tried really hard to play FFVII and FFVIII and I just couldn't get passed the whole taking turns. FFXII was something I could finish because I felt that freely moving and the elimination of random battles gave me a sense of control those other 2 games couldn't give me. How is Persona in that regard?

Manbig

I do have an issue with those kinda games though... they're STRICTLY turn based. I tried really hard to play FFVII and FFVIII and I just couldn't get passed the whole taking turns. FFXII was something I could finish because I felt that freely moving and the elimination of random battles gave me a sense of control those other 2 games couldn't give me. How is Persona in that regard?

No random battles, but they do use turn based tactical combat, so if you're not into that, then skip them.

Other suggestions that might fit your criteria then are Nier, Drakengard 1 and 2 (not 3), Valkyria Chronicles (mix of turn based and action RPG), Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Brave Fencer Musashi.

There's lots more that I'm forgetting I'm sure, but you should be able to play most of this stuff on the PS3.

Is Tekken Tunes on the WiiU version? Can you even rip CDs to the WiiU?

I vaguely recall seeing the option, but I have no idea how to transfer music onto the Wii U.

GrayFoxPL

Thanks, today was one of the good days, where everything works as planned :p
I'm an idiot when it comes to raw tag. And I'm too greedy, so whenever I have rage, I want to keep it and raw tag, get caught in a juggle and lose both a ton of life and rage.

Kuma could become your secret weapon against Doomshine^^

Don't wanna mess up your game plan but your Leo isn't bad seeing her in the last match.
She could be better partner for Xiaoyu then Lee.

AAK

Man so many games. How long are they relative to ToX? This game seems to go on forever. Another game I need to finish is Dragon's Crown... but oh boy does that game seem even longer LOL.

Man so many games. How long are they relative to ToX? This game seems to go on forever. Another game I need to finish is Dragon's Crown... but oh boy does that game seem even longer LOL.

If you're a completionist perhaps, but I can't imagine Dragon's Crown being longer than any Tales game. The game isn't over when you see all of the levels and alternate paths, but it was over for me.

AAK

Really? I'm just looking at Dragon's Crowns skills and upgrades and it looks like I've still got 60+ hours of levelling up to get some of those abilities.

Manbig

Well RPGs in general are a pretty steep time commitment. It's not like you MUST play all of them. I suggest just checking out some gameplay/story videos for some of those to see if you're interested.

sasuke_91

Don't wanna mess up your game plan but your Leo isn't bad seeing her in the last match.
She could be better partner for Xiaoyu then Lee.
DON'T DO THIS TO ME! >_<"

But no, seriously, I guess you're right. My Lee is pretty bad and I mostly win against people who don't know what he's all about. Otherwise I rely on Xiaoyu way too much. Hwoarang/Steve is a much more balanced team.
I've already seen some videos with Xiaoyu/Leo combos and they got over 90 dmg easily. I already thought about making her Xiaoyu's partner.
My Leo is all hopkicks and ff4,3 at the moment (just picked her up recently), but she's not a very hard character, so I should be able to practice with her in these next two months.

GrayFoxPL

DON'T DO THIS TO ME! >_<"

But no, seriously, I guess you're right. My Lee is pretty bad and I mostly win against people who don't know what he's all about. Otherwise I rely on Xiaoyu way too much. Hwoarang/Steve is a much more balanced team.
I've already seen some videos with Xiaoyu/Leo combos and they got over 90 dmg easily. I already thought about making her Xiaoyu's partner.
My Leo is all hopkicks and ff4,3 at the moment (just picked her up recently), but she's not a very hard character, so I should be able to practice with her in these next two months.

Leo has tons of great launchers. Hopkick, df+2 very good uppercut, ws2, db+3 is risky but she ducks so low that in simultanous exchange of moves it'll likely to avoid everything that isn't a low. ff+4,3 isn't bad too.
Also ff+2 is almost as good as deathfist. Some practice and you can backdash, sidestep and shoot it instantly. Shotgun blast.
Her mixup is great and you have to block it or try sidestep, because pushing buttons will likely lead to stun or launch.
Tons of great moves. Mini combos. Elbows, knees.

They went little overboard with her imo. I expect a nerf in T7.

sasuke_91

Leo has tons of great launchers. Hopkick, df+2 very good uppercut, ws2, db+3 is risky but she ducks so low that in simultanous exchange of moves it'll likely to avoid everything that isn't a low. ff+4,3 isn't bad too.
Also ff+2 is almost as good as deathfist. Some practice and you can backdash, sidestep and shoot it instantly. Shotgun blast.
Her mixup is great and you have to block it or try sidestep, because pushing buttons will likely lead to stun or launch.
Tons of great moves. Mini combos. Elbows, knees.

They went little overboard with her imo. I expect a nerf in T7.
Yeah, Leo is a great character, but maybe a little too great for her difficulty level :p
I guess Lee will have to team up with Jin for now. Poor Jin, I'm not really sure what do with him, although he was my main character in Tekken 5 and 6^^

@AAK: Have you played Kingdom Hearts? I'm surprised nobody mentioned this game yet. It's fun, short (30 hours per game maybe) and has its own unique story. One of my favourite games.

Manbig

@AAK: Have you played Kingdom Hearts? I'm surprised nobody mentioned this game yet. It's fun, short (30 hours per game maybe) and has its own unique story. One of my favourite games.

I avoided mentioning Kingdom Hearts because IMO the story goes up its own ass after the first game.

Having said that, if you're into Disney at all, I recommend Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix for sure.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, Leo is a great character, but maybe a little too great for her difficulty level :p
I guess Lee will have to team up with Jin for now. Poor Jin, I'm not really sure what do with him, although he was my main character in Tekken 5 and 6^^

Use Violet with Jin.

1. Violet has neutral netsu, Lee and Jin hate each other.
2. f n 3,4 ) is a ridiculous launcher with it's speed and range. Easy picking of tag in, tag out and crouchers. Downside it's launch punishable.
3. uf+3+4 this knocks down but check this out: after this do right away d+4,n,4,3,3 this will launch and bound if opponent does anything other then stay on ground, every twitch will launch him. Lol.

What's worse then Lee.:
f+3:3:3 is insanely hard, I could do this when my buttons were broken and registered double 3 in 2 frames, lol. Doesn't work after it was fixed. This isn't T4's easy 1,3:3:3 and accidental input can get you launched when ducked so you always must use f+3:3 because second kick is safe. It's bad when someone backdashes and Violet is stuck doing f+3 - launch guaranteed.

f,n,b(sway) 4 is not the great sweep where Lee ducks kicks and on ch gives juggle, just a lame low kick while standing that's slow as 18 frames, -14 on block, gives frame advantage on hit but it's pretty bad move.

Speaking of Leo:

iMFu1C550dPfD.gif

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NrjyFGIJF8&list=PLJi2VBLGkq22w3n9IPA3hqgHv0KPLJhiG

Sayah

Damn AAK. Get well soon man. That really sucks. I've only taken antibiotics once in my life (Amoxicillin to be exact) and got the worst nausea. Hope I never need antibiotics again.

Edit: @MikeBreezy. I can play over the weekend.

No random battles, but they do use turn based tactical combat, so if you're not into that, then skip them.

Other suggestions that might fit your criteria then are Nier, Drakengard 1 and 2 (not 3), Valkyria Chronicles (mix of turn based and action RPG), Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Brave Fencer Musashi.

There's lots more that I'm forgetting I'm sure, but you should be able to play most of this stuff on the PS3.

I vaguely recall seeing the option, but I have no idea how to transfer music onto the Wii U.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one making this statement. FGW people looking at me like I'm crazy.

Yes, buy Valkyria Chronicles. It is the best. Also, AAK, if you want to try out Persona 3 or 4, I already have them of PSN. Let me know if you want to do some game sharing. :p

Is Tekken Tunes on the WiiU version? Can you even rip CDs to the WiiU?

Tekken Tunes on Wii U only allows you to change pre-existing TTT2 music around. As far as I know, the Wii U version didn't get the music DLC and there is no way to get mp3 files recognized/downloaded/ripped from a CD onto the Wii U. Not really the devs fault. Thank you Nintendo, lol.

sasuke_91

@GrayFoxPL: Wrong link, it's this one

Replacing Lee with Violet shouldn't be too hard, I guess. I won't concentrate on them now, though. Going full Hwo/Steve and Xiao/Leo

I feel really bad for beginners in Tekken. There are only reranks Online right now. You rarely see any Beginner-1st Kyu with less than 200 matches. I wanted to rank Leo a little higher before pairing her up with Xiaoyu and felt really bad for that Kaz/Paul player who had like 10% wins.
Tried one match with Hwo/Steve, too and lost to an Asuka/King player. He wasn't really bad, but I would have won if this wasn't ranked... I hate this^^

Sayah

I am looking forward to Tekken 7 on PC. There is not a single 3D fighter I can play on PC (that I know of). Whole new market gonna eat that game up. If they can add something along the lines of Tekken Federation with additional features, I can see it being very successful. Will potentially rejuvenate the fanbase with newer players.

Edit:

Also, I have a happy halloween-intensive match that I want to record and post. The guy went crazy and ended it in a K.O. But then I got a revenge happy halloween. So I was happy. :)

I also need a better recording device. Roxio gamecapture is good but I need something that's great and doesn't look as blurry on youtube.

GrayFoxPL

Played a little of T4.

Damn, so fun. Why is the 3d movement so smooth and fast, the later games feel a lot stiffer in that regard. Wonder what's different.

Steve's jabs so fast, lol.

8 frame jabs =
ib1rz8vaYQBaGZ.gif

Also d+1 feels so much better then b+1. Boom! They changed his inputs so much in later games I don't understand why. Especially 2~f parry felt so good. I almost never use it since is b+1+2.

Best Steven.

Playing Kazu is hard, lol. Though I must say electric not launching on normal kinda feel fair. When you get ch electric launch it feels so satisfying. Like you actually achieved something.

How would you guys feel if in Tekken 7 launchers like Electrics, uppercuts, hopkicks launched only on counter hit while on normal giving solid frame advantage?
Only slow launchers would launch on normal.

I think I'd like that. "Normal" moves would get more value thus more use rather then everyone hunting for hopkicks.

AAK

For how much effort it takes to play Kazuya... I think it's fair the way he is. The problem in this game is that the EWGF can lead to Tag Assaults is what tips the power level of him to absurd levels. T4 Kazuya just looks like too much of an uphill battle to be play. AV2K can probably chime in better from his own personal experience.

But I won't lie, T4 Kazuya was the first time we heard the "DORYA" quote and introduced one of the most badass stomps seen in gaming. I think it might have been worth the effort just because of how much more boss they made him. Although I also do miss the "TWOAH!" grunt from TTT1 sometimes :p

As for Hopkicks... keep them the way they are, but WHEN they crush a low, THEN they should never launch. As it is now, it's way too risky to throw out lows.

GrayFoxPL

For how much effort it takes to play Kazuya... I think it's fair the way he is. The problem in this game is that the EWGF can lead to Tag Assaults is what tips the power level of him to absurd levels. T4 Kazuya just looks like too much of an uphill battle to be play. AV2K can probably chime in better from his own personal experience.

But I won't lie, T4 Kazuya was the first time we heard the "DORYA" quote and introduced one of the most badass stomps seen in gaming. I think it might have been worth the effort just because of how much more boss they made him. Although I also do miss the "TWOAH!" grunt from TTT1 sometimes :p

As for Hopkicks... keep them the way they are, but WHEN they crush a low, THEN they should never launch. As it is now, it's way too risky to throw out lows.

Yeah, I think AV2K already posted how Kaz in T4 was bottom tier. Lol. Still love him in T4. Only time I'll get to play low tier Mishima.
Edit: And I agree he had such a boss aura, AAK :].

I don't want to turn everyone into bottom tier but rather to change up the launch centric tendencies. So it's not like: "I'll hopkick!" *got punished by a jab "I'll hopkick again!" #yolohopkick

AAK

^^ In that scenario of where you punish a hopkick and then they directly hopkick again in desperation... the only way it can hit you is if it landed on counterhit haha. After punishing a hopkick they will be at negative so you can definitely frame trap them if they press any button. If you did a low (or a relatively slow move) and the hopkick hit you, it would still be a counter hit so making hopkicks launch only on CH doesn't solve that problem :p The only other options you should go for is to sidestep or backdash cancel... both of which would allow you to punish the hopkick again.

Making hopkicks not launch during crushes though.... would solve that issue :)

GrayFoxPL

^^ In that scenario of where you punish a hopkick and then they directly hopkick again in desperation... the only way it can hit you is if it landed on counterhit haha. After punishing a hopkick they will be at negative so you can definitely frame trap them if they press any button. If you did a low (or a relatively slow move) and the hopkick hit you, it would still be a counter hit so making hopkicks launch only on CH doesn't solve that problem :p The only other options you should go for is to sidestep or backdash cancel... both of which would allow you to punish the hopkick again.

Making hopkicks not launch during crushes though.... would solve that issue :)

No, no, sorry. I didn't mean hopkick directly after punish. Just general idea that hopkick is the way to attack. Like someone hopkicks, eats a jab, backs off/throws a jab/sidesteps and hopkicks again rinse repeat. Generic hopkick abusing player.. Just that general idea that hopkick has the biggest reward with relatively low risk.

Manbig

I heavily disagree with the notion of hopkicks not launching when they crush. Why have a crush system at all then? In my opinion, it should be the exact opposite. That way, it actually rewards people for using the move "properly."

Ever since playing VF5FS and seeing how it handles punishing sidesteps, I always thought that Tekken's crush system should follow a similar route. The reward is already there for when you use the crush moves properly, but my beef is that they are still greatly rewarded when you hit people normally. I wish they did something similar to how Jin's hopkick works, except instead of only getting a full launch from CH, you can only get it from crushing. That way hopkicks still work as 15f and up close whiff punishers, but you would get a weaker juggle rather than the full damage juggle for every single time that you land it outside of a crush.

AAK

To me, the point of the crush system in Tekken is to prevent people from just backdash cancelling forever and doing a d+1 to keep out forever and such. The characters should have a move that can bypass those quick lows as a means to deal some damage and begin offense. It shouldn't become their go-to move to deal damage. Things like Matterhorns, lightning screw, and AOP u/f+3,1 are all crush moves but really become ridiculous with how much reward they get. I came with the notion of crush moves not launching based on the way Tekken Revolution handled invincibles where under no circumstance can they ever launch.

EDIT: Looking at those examples I posted, my problem is more with mid-crush moves rather than simply low crush LOL.

Top Bottom