• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Manbig

To me, the point of the crush system in Tekken is to prevent people from just backdash cancelling forever and doing a d+1 to keep out forever and such. The characters should have a move that can bypass those quick lows as a means to deal some damage and begin offense. It shouldn't become their go-to move to deal damage. Things like Matterhorns, lightning screw, and AOP u/f+3,1 are all crush moves but really become ridiculous with how much reward they get. I came with the notion of crush moves not launching based on the way Tekken Revolution handled invincibles where under no circumstance can they ever launch.

EDIT: Looking at those examples I posted, my problem is more with mid-crush moves rather than simply low crush LOL.

For the most part, I agree with you. Especially about the mid ducking moves (no surprise there :p). Like I said in my last post, the reward for crush moves hitting you normally is way too high. The thing is, you can't just make a sweeping change like that without heavily retooling the characters. That is why my suggestion is based around still granting extra damage after a hopkick connects normally, but just making it a much shorter or weaker combo (like Jin's hopkick on regular hit).

It also seems silly to actually be punished when you're actually trying to utilize the crush system. As long as the crush system exists as it is, I can't agree with you on that one.

As far as mid ducking launchers go, outside of stances where the character's can't block (AOP), that bullshit has to fucking go. I don't think I have it in me to handle another Tekken game that's full of that nonsense.

EDIT: Removed a portion that I typed up during an apparent brain fart.

Sayah

How much money are you willing to drop?

I'm not using this personally, but, Elgato has a new external that records 1080p/60fps

Splitter

Damnnnn. I need that.

But Wii U has to come before this. The third quarter is about to end and I should be getting a bonus from my job. Will have to see how much I have left after government takes out like 40% for taxes. :/

I definitely need a better capture device soon, though. Especially now that I've learned how to make gifs. All the good moments can be presented now.

Sayah

Sayah, are you still playing? My PSN is UchihaSasuke_91

Okay. Will invite you after this match.

Edit: Invite and friend request sent.

Edit 2: GGs Tera.

Edit 3: Our match ran really great. But seems like your connection and boutdown's connection don't get along well.

Edit 4: GGs boutdown.

Edit 5: Sasuke is GOOOOD. That Hwoarang/Steve team is really good.

Edit 6: Don't know what happened. Match was running beautifully and then blah. I think it's PSN acting up and not necessarily our connections because our match ran fine before. I had similar issues with Tera once before.

sasuke_91

GGs Sayah and boutdown.

Edit 5: Sasuke is GOOOOD. That Hwoarang/Steve team is really good.

*blush* Thanks. Not good enough to win against someone like you, though. That Anna/Nina is killing me^^
I have to get used to that new Xiao/Leo team-up. I don't really know any combos with them when I start with Xiao. And what the hell? I was afraid of going into AOP against you, that Jinpachi always launching me. That was cool!

Edit 6: Don't know what happened. Match was running beautifully and then blah. I think it's PSN acting up and not necessarily our connections because our match ran fine before. I had similar issues with Tera once before.

I tried to play with Famicom after you left and had the same problem. I gess it really was PSN acting up.

Oh yeah, I went to ranked again and instantly got demoted. Now I'm a Brawler again with Steve. Isn't that great? :)
I even thought about trying to rank up to Warrior... yeah, definitely not happening^^

Dereck

I don't know what was going on but it seemed like either you were goofing around, or I'm just seeing through a lot of your shenanigans Sayah. There were a lot of, big mistake playa situations happening.

Sayah

I don't know what was going on but it seemed like either you were goofing around, or I'm just seeing through a lot of your shenanigans Sayah. There were a lot of, big mistake playa situations happening.
It's both.
You're probably getting used to my shenanigans but I also was trying different things.

Fucking Tekken online, I am going to get to the red ranks if it is the last thing I do. :mad:

You can definitely make it to the red.

Dereck

Is that the reason why you were just standing around sometimes?
Sometimes I try to pause when my back is against the wall, because, sometimes, the opponent is relying on you to move around to wall splat you. But, if you're neutral, and if they do a bunch of mids, I don't have to do anything besides wait for opening. You could see that it was working sometimes, and sometimes, it wasn't.

One day I realized that it is sometimes better to do nothing if your opponent is plus frames, it allows me to regroup, instead of trying to do something and get counter hit.

sasuke_91

Sometimes I try to pause when my back is against the wall, because, sometimes, the opponent is relying on you to move around to wall splat you. But, if you're neutral, and if they do a bunch of mids, I don't have to do anything besides wait for opening. You could see that it was working sometimes, and sometimes, it wasn't.

One day I realized that it is sometimes better to do nothing if your opponent is plus frames, it allows me to regroup, instead of trying to do something and get counter hit.

I'll remember this, thanks.

sasuke_91

You can try it if you want, but I wouldn't even call it a good strategy at all, or even a strategy.

I'll still take it as an advice :p

By the way, boutdown, you should be careful with Jin's d+3+4. That move is a great 15-frame punisher or launcher after a parry, but it's horrible on block, like -18 or -19. You shouldn't use it if you're not sure that it'll definitely hit.

Dereck

I know it's awful on block, but I kept using it because it's great on counter hit. In serious matches, I only use it for whiff punishing, and you could see I did that quite a few times.

GrayFoxPL

GGS Sasuke.

Definitely stay with Leo, you got great feel of her and played better in every match. Even if you missed end part of combo you converted it to a reset so I was still dead. Very nice.

Some notes:
Law is a hell for Steve because he can parry almost everything Steve has. So use Lows, shoulder poke, even kicks. Peakaboo df+2 elbow too. Bait parry with single punches, if you use string Law can mash parry. If parry misses, punish quickly with ducking uppercut or ff+2 etc. If you are too late he can parry again. I'm not sure if Law can parry flying punches.

You remembered to tag out early at first but later you forgot. That's how I got my wins.

Try to fake approach, make it less linear. If we are at some distance eg. after knock down, I see you going forward at me then I always go for any launcher. Try to bait those things.
One dash forward. Sudden stop. Block/Sidestep. Or use moves that make launcher whiff. Or to be safe - airborne moves, they ruin most of the launchers eg. what can Jin do after his d+3+4 hits someone in air? Nothing. The damage of the move is even scaled back.

Read the cheap tricks, like my cheap tricks. With Kazuya I always whiff wind god fist or df+2 from some ridiculous distance. Like nonsense, right? No. It's just a bait to counter hit you with b+1+2. I know if I do it right opponent can't really punish god fist but it's often enough for him to try, then b+1+2 punishes him for trying. Don't fall for this.

sasuke_91

Good games GrayFoxPL. I disabled DMZ to see if my having to invite someone twice gets solved by just manually opening some ports. Well... you see how well that worked. I'll enable DMZ again next time I play.
Yeah I fall for a lot of cheap tricks. I guess that's why I'm so bad in ranked. I always run towards you and think "I'll stop before he can hit me", but I don't... that's kinda dumb. I always do those big mistakes that cost my life.
Leo and Xiaoyu have some insane combo-damage. Leo has a lot of hits before bound, but Xiaoyu's RDS 1,4 still hits and deals good damage. And that wall damage is insane.
Continue to use those cheap tricks against me, i have to get used to them^^

Oh yeah by the way, that Jin wall combo I mentioned earlier was not quite right. It's not bf2,3 cancelled into db2,2,3 but f4 cancelled into db2,2,3. The input should be the same though.

I just noticed that I bought TTT2 exactly one year ago. Well... not exactly, I think it was the 15th of August, but you know what I mean :p

Sayah

Well.. doing the repeated bob dash crouch jab into ws+2,1 might be hard... but it still gives a ridiculous amount combo damage to characters that have an easy way of getting resets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5iBVJAOSts

I think this makes Bob easily the best character in the game.

I don't know about that.
This is a really great find but how viable would this be in an actual tournament or in a competitive setting? Doing WS attacks after a tag especially is going to be difficult or easy to drop. And the forward dash you have to do after the WS attack followed with d+1 punch especially has strict timing. This isn't like Hwoarang unblockable during TA from vanilla TTT2 that anyone could easily pull off. Plus, this is limited to infinite stages. It isn't gonna go on forever in wall stages.

I tried doing this in practice and it's extremely easy to mess up. Like I would rather just do my regular full combo in a competitive setting. Then again, I still can't do flapping butterfly's consistently so my hand dexterity doesn't have a lot of merit, lol.

I still don't think this suddenly makes Bob S-tier.

AAK

Looking at the first combo, that one is actually super easy to do, that nets 106 damage wheras originally I doubt they'd even get 100 as a team. Same thing with the second one, the only tricky part is running under the opponent with Nina and timing the d+4,1 to activate the reset. No need for loops. That TA glitch with bob can net massive damage off almost any launcher now assuming you can keep the opponent face up feet towards. That plus his already insane arsenal in my opinion makes him the strongest in the game.

That last combo is definitely simple relative to some of the other b&b juggles in this game. Using Capo's qcf+3 as a reset is actually pretty easy with a bit of practice.

Sayah

Those combos all depend on the relative ease of doing WS 2,1 with Bob after a tag. I can't speak on this because I hardly consider myself to have good hand dexterity.

And, again, this will all be limited on wall stages.

AAK

I'm sure you can do iWS+2,1 with Bob ;) It shouldn't be any harder than doing Nina's iWS+4,3 as a TA filler. Watching theater10 do it he even manages to squeeze in a sidestep before landing the ws+2,1.

GrayFoxPL

Good games GrayFoxPL. I disabled DMZ to see if my having to invite someone twice gets solved by just manually opening some ports. Well... you see how well that worked. I'll enable DMZ again next time I play.
Yeah I fall for a lot of cheap tricks. I guess that's why I'm so bad in ranked. I always run towards you and think "I'll stop before he can hit me", but I don't... that's kinda dumb. I always do those big mistakes that cost my life.
Leo and Xiaoyu have some insane combo-damage. Leo has a lot of hits before bound, but Xiaoyu's RDS 1,4 still hits and deals good damage. And that wall damage is insane.
Continue to use those cheap tricks against me, i have to get used to them^^

Oh yeah by the way, that Jin wall combo I mentioned earlier was not quite right. It's not bf2,3 cancelled into db2,2,3 but f4 cancelled into db2,2,3. The input should be the same though.

I just noticed that I bought TTT2 exactly one year ago. Well... not exactly, I think it was the 15th of August, but you know what I mean :p

I must practice those wall combos.

Check out Leo's approach with qcf options qcf+1 I think it's the hand sweep, it's annoying. When I played Leo I mixed up a lot of qcf and ws moves because there are tones. Now in tag ws 3,1,2 is a ch combo. Duckable on block though. I mixed it up a lot with ws 1,4,1 - just do ws 1,4 couple times in a row and people will not expect the last hit. From full crouch you can do the long sweep with df+3 or 4. From qcf you can go uf like in combos but I wanna point out uf+1,2 it's natural combo, great damage, wall splats and it was great wall carry in T6, I think nothing changed in Tag2. Oh and you can ki charge it too.

Damn, I played a lot of Leo in T6. I could do full wall carries with f+4 cancel into qcf+3 loop and after few of those I ended with qcf+3,1,2 or uf+1,2 they hit a wall and I run up and bounded with b+2,1+2 insane damage. Wonder if they nerfed that.
One day I'll get back to Leo.

Btw your ws+2 with Leo are perfect.

Sayah

I'm sure you can do iWS+2,1 with Bob ;) It shouldn't be any harder than doing Nina's iWS+4,3 as a TA filler. Watching theater10 do it he even manages to squeeze in a sidestep before landing the ws+2,1.

I failed at doing it that way. Nina's iWS+3,4 is far easier imo. I guess when we have the next big tournament for TTT2 (i.e. StrongStyle), we'll see how much of a factor this really is.

Also, ltrainlocomotive called me a fool on stream chat after I lost to Anakin's mokujin. Then, I proceeded to get promoted with both Nina and Anna. lol.

Manbig

I failed at doing it that way. Nina's iWS+3,4 is far easier imo. I guess when we have the next big tournament for TTT2 (i.e. StrongStyle), we'll see how much of a factor this really is.

Also, ltrainlocomotive called me a fool on stream chat after I lost to Anakin's mokujin. Then, I proceeded to get promoted with both Nina and Anna. lol.

Well, outside of people being general assholes in those chats, it is exasperated for them by the fact that you are a Williams player, and Williams are the queens/kings of 'getting away with a bunch of shit because it's online.'

Sayah

Well, outside of people being general assholes in those chats, it is exasperated for them by the fact that you are a Williams player, and Williams are the queenns/kings of 'getting away with a bunch of shit because it's online.'

I faced Anakin online so I thought he might be streaming and opened twitch and that's the first thing I see, haha. The guy said something along the lines of me mashing and not understanding how I got to seiryu rank. Funny thing is I've faced this guy in ranked before and have beaten him.

Not to brag but I'm not even playing ranked at 100% all the time. Requires too much patience and waiting. Thus, my playstyle with 95% offense and crappy defense. But when needed, I will switch to defensive play.

At the end of the day, doesn't even matter. Guy was just hating for no reason, lol.

Manbig

What exactly is going on in this scenario?
-I can tell after the first combo, the Kaz player teched to which the Leo player played a mixup.
-What about the second combo? Is that all one combo? How can Leo get that many hits without setting of the juggle counter?
-Or did the Leo player play a wake up game again with the WS4?

The WS4 after the TA was a reset. The Kaz player didn't tech.

I faced Anakin online so I thought he might be streaming and opened twitch and that's the first thing I see, haha. The guy said something along the lines of me mashing and not understanding how I got to seiryu rank. Funny thing is I've faced this guy in ranked before and have beaten him.

Not to brag but I'm not even playing ranked at 100% all the time. Requires too much patience and waiting. Thus, my playstyle with 95% offense and crappy defense. But when needed, I will switch to defensive play.

At the end of the day, doesn't even matter. Guy was just hating for no reason, lol.

While my characters can't get away with stuff like Williams, I got my share of hatred from people along the way to Duelist. Lots of tackles and f,f1+2.

Dereck

After playing Drum-EFX I got to thinking about how I really like when people come up with, or use unique team combinations.

AAK

What, you got to Seiryu already???? Just a couple weeks ago you were a Conqueror! Damn that's impressive haha. I get keep fluctuating between Genbu and Destroyer perpetually. Last time I got demoted to savior was form your hands haha.

About all these people hating on you... it's because of your playstyle LOL. They (and me sometimes) are pretty jealous of your talent to play just by feel and disrespect frames all together. I just have to respect it that you've made it work. :p

This is solid play. Drum is one of the country's best players and you definitely held you own against him. You fared better than I ever did whenever I played him online.
After playing Drum-EFX I got to thinking about how I really like when people come up with, or use unique team combinations.

AGREED. DEATH to all clone teams.

GrayFoxPL

19 win streak with Kuma and King. That's enough for now, lol.

This is just to practice King, controlling Kuma is sluggish and confusing. Kuma can kill with tag launchers but he's in difficult situation while left alone. Trolling with bear hell sweep, lol.

But King is boss. I love his options. I'm gonna pair him with someone strong.

Dereck

AGREED. DEATH to all clone teams.
I'm not even referring specifically to clone teams, I referring to people who use teams that are easy, done so many times before, it's retread ground.

Hworang/Julia? I've never seen anyone but you use that team, Bob/Law? Marduk/Dragunov? Jack/Asuka? I haven't seen those teams either besides people on GAF.

I don't care about people's teams, they can do what they want, I'm just acknowledging teams that are a little less conventional.

Does anyone want to play tonight that I haven't fought yet?
Are you looking to fight only someone you haven't fought before? Because I've been ready to play again for like a month, and I missed you that last time because of work.

Sayah

@av2K: don't have my ps triple with me now. I only play weekends. I want to face you but keep forgetting to add you on PSN.

@ AAK
I was actually at Suzaku. Then I decided to play late night when I should have been sleeping and got demoted back to Byakko. lol. Got 4 hours of sleep and went to work. It's cool, though. Promotions/demotions part of the game. I don't really play for the rank anyway.

Also, I would say you are a better player than I. I remember when we played back in the T6 days. Man, that transformation you had from T6 to TTT2 was really something.

Also, for reference, matches where I mashed and lost.

http://www.twitch.tv/hoaluu629/b/559128856?t=2h27m15s

Match where I played a little more defensively. Though, winning against a mokujin is no accomplishment.

http://www.twitch.tv/hoaluu629/b/559128856?t=3h1m19s

I don't really find enjoyment in excessive defense at the end of the day in fighters in general, which is why I always play rushdown, offense/mixup heavy characters. Otherwise, it's not that difficult to play the waiting game.
I also just realized some guy kept asking questions about me. Like which state I'm from and if I'm "legit." Should just hide chat from now on. haha.

Top Bottom