• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AjoPGZ7.jpg

GrayFoxPL

^Lol. Wanna db+4? Yes - No.

I must stop playing for few days. Not in condition, keep losing, very low reflex and concentration.

I'm gonna finish few games, Tomb Raider, Killer is Dead and shitty Yaiba maybe.

Manbig

I think it's time for me to take another extended break from this game also. I got hit with the holy trifecta of blehness in this game. Playing really shitty by having odd input errors (and these are the kind of errors that are all on me, not on my control or online), having to deal with the typical nonsense of playing online, and Tekken being Tekken.

This is what I mean by Tekken being Tekken.

I had a match in the NYC stage and hit this guy with a wall break with Dragunov to seal out the round, and the match. I went for b1+2 to bound him after the wall break, but the camera flipped the fuck out and zoomed around. This made the game register it as f1+2, which made me drop the combo and, of fucking course, he techs into a WS launcher and kills me for it.

I had another match vs a Lars player. We were near the corner of the stage with the walls to the side. I have about half HP and he has about 2 pokes worth of HP. I go in with the poke pressure to try to close him out. I d/f1 and of all the moves he does with his back to the wall during poke pressure, he does fucking u/f4. THE GODDAMN u/f4 WENT THROUGH MY d/f1! Like literally, Dragunov shoved his arm up Lars' crotch and he still somehow jumped over it.

Just another day with Tekken's shitty hit/hurtboxes.

I think it's time for me to take another extended break from this game also. I got hit with the holy trifecta of blehness in this game. Playing really shitty by having odd input errors (and these are the kind of errors that are all on me, not on my control or online), having to deal with the typical nonsense of playing online, and Tekken being Tekken.

I had a match in the NYC stage and hit this guy with a wall break with Dragunov to seal out the round, and the match. I went for b1+2 to bound him after the wall break, but the camera flipped the fuck out and zoomed around. This made the game register it as f1+2, which made me drop the combo and, of fucking course, he techs into a WS launcher and kills me for it.

I had another match vs a Lars player. We were near the corner of the stage with the walls to the side. I have about half HP and he has about 2 pokes worth of HP. I go in with the poke pressure to try to close him out. I d/f1 and of all the moves he does with his back to the wall during poke pressure, he does fucking u/f4. THE GODDAMN u/f4 WENT THROUGH MY d/f1! Like literally, Dragunov shoved his arm up Lars' crotch and he still somehow jumped over it.

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I found out today that Heichachi's regular df2 has high crush properties. Leo's standing 1 jab just goes right over his head and he launches me for the win.

There's also a lot of weird stuff that happens with Feng's crouch dash 1 (the low). If the other guy does a big move like Heihachi ff2 at the same time, the characters will go right through each other and you'll both end up back turned.

Manbig

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I found out today that Heichachi's regular df2 has high crush properties. Leo's standing 1 jab just goes right over his head and he launches me for the win.

There's also a lot of weird stuff that happens with Feng's crouch dash 1 (the low). If the other guy does a big move like Heihachi ff2 at the same time, the characters will go right through each other and you'll both end up back turned.

Yes that is common knowledge. Just about all of those generic d/f2s that are safe on block, but don't launch crouchers on normal hit, have like a frame or two where they duck some highs.

The same applies with the generic d/f1 pokes. Marduk in particular has a hard time dealing with d/f1 pressure because his jabs are extra high. Keep that in mind when you fight vs him using Lee.

Yes that is common knowledge. Just about all of those generic d/f2s that are safe on block, but don't launch crouchers on normal hit, have like a frame or two where they duck some highs.

The same applies with the generic d/f1 pokes. Marduk in particular has a hard time dealing with d/f1 pressure because his jabs are extra high. Keep that in mind when you fight vs him using Lee.

Well that's good to know. I really hope they overhaul the crush system in Tekken 7. Why does a safe, fast, mid launcher need to high crush. It's not something you can rely on I guess, but still.

AAK

Nice to know you had fun there man. Did you also get to play some casuals? Those are some of the best moments in tournaments for me. Getting to play so many different styles of players in an offline scenario. Weird how that guy switched characters on you even after a victory, at least you still won that. This part of the stream was super hype:

dv7Ycdb.gif

Yeah, this really is the dark side of this game. Along with the inconsistent combo's there's also the obtuse tag in scenarios that can really screw people over. Mr. Naps vs. Kurokruo was pretty WTF inducing:

1pcRDSU.gif

But despite all that I have way too much fun playing two simultaneous characters and finding so many new ways of optimizing the Tag Assaults that outweighs the frustration of the above nonsense in the game for me.

I had a match in the NYC stage and hit this guy with a wall break with Dragunov to seal out the round, and the match. I went for b1+2 to bound him after the wall break,but the camera flipped the fuck out and zoomed around. This made the game register it as f1+2, which made me drop the combo and, of fucking course, he techs into a WS launcher and kills me for it.

Yeah, this happened to me once on Arena stage, was doing wall combo into Lili's f+2,3, but the camera flips around and I just get a jab, ended losing the round and the match because of it.

Lars' crap u/f+4 has weird backdash properties. It's basically a backswing blow that's safe.

GrayFoxPL

This crush talk reminded me of zaibatsu disscussion about electric that it's not a true high crush in T6. Like it crushes on specific frames and sometimes not. I think Tag2 is similar.
I got electric stuffed by standing jabs. That wtf situation when you hear "dorya!" there's electricity generated but Kaz gets hit in the face anyway without even a trade. Happens.

I say erase artificial crush system that works how it wants to work and make everything oldschool animation based. If character makes a move where he ducks his head for some frames let him duck highs at that time and don't extend his hurtbox upwards.
Of course that would mean to rework every move in the game but reggienotmyproblem.jpg :p.

AAK

@Sasuke91 I got to play with the Toronto crew for a bit last week. They uploaded the match I had with their resident Steve player. His PSN is something like mugetsu (bleach fan). And he started learning Tekken probably around a year ago and focusing almost all his energy on Steve. This guy is pretty much where I get all my Steve tactics from LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPthCq1YsQ

Since I haven't played in nearly a month I was pretty rusty... But as you can see, his tactics were complemented by his movement really well. Also try to see the traps he sets up on me after certain safe moves along with his means of poking when the going for aggression is required.

(sigh) how I love offline Tekken :)

I refuse to believe!

I don't think T7 was ever supposed to be announced this year after Harada's whole "No Tekken Announcements this year" twitter barrage. I'm guessing the MadCatz event will probably have Harada tell everyone to check out the 20th Anniversary event in December lol.

AAK

The way Lars is meant to be played... not giving an F and doing orbital heels, d/f+2's, and the occasional Lightning screw all day!

I gave him my fair share of sledging for being a Lars player :p

sasuke_91

@Sasuke91 I got to play with the Toronto crew for a bit last week. They uploaded the match I had with their resident Steve player. His PSN is something like mugetsu (bleach fan). And he started learning Tekken probably around a year ago and focusing almost all his energy on Steve. This guy is pretty much where I get all my Steve tactics from LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPthCq1YsQ

Since I haven't played in nearly a month I was pretty rusty... But as you can see, his tactics were complemented by his movement really well. Also try to see the traps he sets up on me after certain safe moves along with his means of poking when the going for aggression is required.

(sigh) how I love offline Tekken :)

Some really great matches you got to play with him. His Steve is great. The way he confuses his opponents, throwing out the same strings out of peak-a-boo appearing to be predictable and getting his surprise attack out of nowhere... that's the way I want to be able to play Steve :D
Thanks for sharing the replay.

Sayah

Harada already stated that T7 won't be at TGS, but he will say some things about it at the MadCatz booth.

I can't believe his twitter all the time now. He has some Ono influences as far as trolling goes.

"We're not revealing any new Tekken game this year."

"Reveals Tekken 7 at EVO."

Or maybe he did the whole leak thing at EVO to make it seem like it was a "forced" reveal. Who knows.

This happens to me all the time. Combo is supposed to flow and hit. Somehow messes up (and it's not me doing wrong button inputs). I get WS launched. Bah.

I'm more annoyed when a person raw tagging is able to get a launcher on me.

LowParry

Wait, I thought Harada said we'd see something new with T7 before or after TGS. Meh. The man's projecting that damn Ono fella. They're probably working on Pokken anyway. T7 2017 confirmed to consoles. :/

Manbig

GGs to Bout and Destroyer.

Yeah Bout, if you're going to crouch from range to whiff punish with WS launchers, it's best not to stay crouching the whole time, every time.. You can bait out slow long range mids and just stand block them to get up close advantage back, or even punish the steppable/duckable slow mids, or advancing strings if you're sharp.

I think it's time for me to pick up another character. The teams I use right now are Leo/Feng, Ganryu/Feng and Anna/Nina. It gets kind of boring during extended sessions.

Not sure who to go with, though. There are some characters I absolutely hate playing against (Kings, Laws, Bryan, Kazamas, Capos, Jinpachi, Lili, Lars etc) so I think I'll avoid being one of those jerks.

I sort of gravitate towards lesser used characters. Maybe... Zafina?

I think it's time for me to pick up another character. The teams I use right now are Leo/Feng, Ganryu/Feng and Anna/Nina. It gets kind of boring during extended sessions.

Not sure who to go with, though. There are some characters I absolutely hate playing against (Kings, Laws, Bryan, Kazamas, Capos, Jinpachi, Lili, Lars etc) so I think I'll avoid being one of those jerks.

I guess you can try Hwoarang, Steve, Bob.

AAK

I had that exact same feeling... But my criteria was to make completely unique teams and not just characters. Hence Steve/Raven, capo/Djin were born ;)

One character i keep delaying to learn is Baek. Watching bmns13 on the San Diego streams makes him look so damn fun!

sasuke_91

I had that exact same feeling... But my criteria was to make completely unique teams and not just characters. Hence Steve/Raven, capo/Djin were born ;)

I was so mad when I noticed that Hwo/Steve is actually pretty popular. I decided to play them when I bought TTT2.
Ling/Lee was pretty unique, but my Lee sucks in comparison to Ling, so I swapped him with Leo, who was Jin's partner at first. Now it's Jin/Violet.
I play Kaz/Hei occasionally, too, but I'm not really serious with them.

GrayFoxPL

You will always find someone playing any possible team there is.

I was screwing around because I never found a good partner for Lee other then Mishimas.
So I put him with Lars - eh win - lose. Not exciting. Today I put him with Nina and holy shit... Lee got demoted 3 dans and Nina once to third dan - hahah. Terrible but fun. I may put her with King or stay with Lee once I figure out what I'm doing.

I guess you can try Hwoarang, Steve, Bob.

I kind of hate Hwoarang and Bob too. :p Steve is interesting though.

One character i keep delaying to learn is Baek. Watching bmns13 on the San Diego streams makes him look so damn fun!

See my teams need to make some kind of sense together. If I were to use Raven I'd be boring and pair him up with Yoshi or Kuni.

I really want to learn Baek too. Probably one of the more stylish characters. He and Zafina would be pretty dope together actually.

Zafina is a ton of fun to use. Her scarecrow 1+2 has to be one of my favourite moves in the game. Massive guard stun to scare people, and when it hits, it really looks like it hurts (CH launcher, mmm so satisfying). But I keep getting stuck in her stances when I don't want to be and getting punished.

AAK

Damn, BL just blew my mind @ the ATPlive show.

Girl from Summer Lesson is Kazumi. At the end of the game, the main character looks in the mirror and reveals it's Playboy Heihachi.

Heihachi is so broken. All he needs is electrics, ff+2 and some space. What am I supposed to do about it? Nothing I have will ever beat them if I try to get close. He can just backdash and throw out launchers whenever he wants.

Don't even get me started on db+2!

GrayFoxPL

Oh shit really? Someone kept trying to convince me it was DBZ cosplay and I was like "I don't remember anyone in DBZ dressing like that."

Yeah, he's name is Kazuo Mishika.

Sorry, I'm a troll.

Heihachi is so broken. All he needs is electrics, ff+2 and some space. What am I supposed to do about it? Nothing I have will ever beat them if I try to get close. He can just backdash and throw out launchers whenever he wants.
He is godly, but not insane. Think about that way: Up close mids and lows beat ff2 and ducking moves can beat electrics. Blocked ff2 gives you at least oportunity to get in and make him guess. Side walking from distance forces him to get in.
You gotta fight monsters with what you got.

Doomshine

Zafina is a ton of fun to use. Her scarecrow 1+2 has to be one of my favourite moves in the game. Massive guard stun to scare people, and when it hits, it really looks like it hurts (CH launcher, mmm so satisfying). But I keep getting stuck in her stances when I don't want to be and getting punished.

I don't like using her scarecrow stance out in the open, I use it almost exclusively at the wall for pressure. In the open it's all about mantis for me.

Sayah

Zafina isn't as appealing to me in TTT2 as she was in T6. Her 3+4 bound move from scarecrow used to feel a lot more satisfying to land in T6. Don't know why they changed the properties on that. Plus, I didn't like her new intros. I accept my fate, whatever it may be. Who says that before a fight?

I also have a feeling she won't be in Tekken 7 but I hope I'm wrong.

AAK

At a mid tier level they definitely seem unbeatable. but the Toronto Steve player Fox Fire showed me how they deal with Hei players that abuse f,f+2. They specifically space themselves at a range where f,f+2 will hit them and then simply duck on purpose baiting the Hei player the trigger the f,f+2. They instantly crouch cancel and sidestep right (or left) which allows them to launch them after it whiffs. They don't react at all, it's just an automated set of inputs with crouching and then stepping at a certain range. Of coarse Toronto having 2 pretty good Hei players helped them achieve this skill but it's still really impressive to see how they dealt with it.

As for Electrics... yeah you kinda have to respect them, but people who are confident in their movement can always poke/dash and step left and punish an evaded electric.

As bad as Heihachi is... he doesn't give me even half the trouble a solid Lars, Bob, Jinpachi player give me. :p

av2k

ff+2 is steppable and is punishable by some characters (bob's u/f+1+2, 1+2), d/b+2 is super steppable into launcher if guessed as well, ewgf can be stepped to the left or duck depending on when they'll throw it out.

His d/f+1,2, I have no answer for. lol

Anyone want to play today? I came back after a hiatus and found that my movement has leveled up significantly. Proper pacing is starting to really click with me.

sasuke_91

I came back after a hiatus and found that my movement has leveled up significantly.
I guess I should take a hiatus too...
GrayFoxPL, I'm glad we didn't play today. I haven't played for 5 days and I'm as bad as never before. I played 6 matches with random players, all of them lower green ranks and I lost every single match D:
I got frustrated and now I'm playing Final Fantasy again.

GrayFoxPL

I guess I should take a hiatus too...
GrayFoxPL, I'm glad we didn't play today. I haven't played for 5 days and I'm as bad as never before. I played 6 matches with random players, all of them lower green ranks and I lost every single match D:
I got frustrated and now I'm playing Final Fantasy again.

Yeah I know how it feels.
I feel too week to play seriously. I literally spent whole day in practice mode but just to force myself to remember things when I get back to playing it for real.

At a mid tier level they definitely seem unbeatable. but the Toronto Steve player Fox Fire showed me how they deal with Hei players that abuse f,f+2. They specifically space themselves at a range where f,f+2 will hit them and then simply duck on purpose baiting the Hei player the trigger the f,f+2. They instantly crouch cancel and sidestep right (or left) which allows them to launch them after it whiffs. They don't react at all, it's just an automated set of inputs with crouching and then stepping at a certain range. Of coarse Toronto having 2 pretty good Hei players helped them achieve this skill but it's still really impressive to see how they dealt with it.

As for Electrics... yeah you kinda have to respect them, but people who are confident in their movement can always poke/dash and step left and punish an evaded electric.

As bad as Heihachi is... he doesn't give me even half the trouble a solid Lars, Bob, Jinpachi player give me. :p

ff+2 tracks does it not? I feel like most of the time I get hit by that is when I'm trying to sidestep. I'll have to go into practice mode.

Jinpachi is a nightmare for me too. Especially after he gets the knock down.

ff+2 is steppable and is punishable by some characters (bob's u/f+1+2, 1+2), d/b+2 is super steppable into launcher if guessed as well, ewgf can be stepped to the left or duck depending on when they'll throw it out.

His d/f+1,2, I have no answer for. lol

df+1,2 at the wall, RIP. Honestly those 4 moves are all he needs to be the best characte in the game #buffheihachi

Top Bottom