• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

av2k

Dat racist Eddy.

Kings look like socks lol.

Wait, theres Kazuya, Kazuya and Devil Kazuya.

Guys pick 4 characters you want to see the most at loc test from old characters.(to see their changes etc.)

Kazuya
Steve
Raven
Jin

New Character
New Character
New Character
Any Mishima

Hey guys! I won't be able to play anyone on PS3 anymore since I gave the console away. It was great playing all of you guys. Hopefully I'll jump on board with Tekken 7 on ps4 but it's not looking likely as my personal life is getting more and more busy.

AAK

Hey guys! I won't be able to play anyone on PS3 anymore since I gave the console away. It was great playing all of you guys. Hopefully I'll jump on board with Tekken 7 on ps4 but it's not looking likely as my personal life is getting more and more busy.

or PC ;)

GG's man and good luck with all future endeavors :)

Also.... looks like the entirety of the Italian players along with Saint missed their flights to Strongstyle. Massive blow for the tournament. I feel sorry for Bronson and Subtl after inviting all those guys.

av2k

or PC ;)

GG's man and good luck with all future endeavors :)

Also.... looks like the entirety of the Italian players along with Saint missed their flights to Strongstyle. Massive blow for the tournament. I feel sorry for Bronson and Subtl after inviting all those guys.

Yikes! That is a massive blow! Do you have a link to what happened?

Sayah

Damn. I hope the airlines/travel agency/whoever gets them a refund for their airfare. When you have that much international competition, there's bound to be someone who's gonna miss out.

Any reason as to why they missed it? Flight cancelled or delayed or were they just late getting there?
New Character
New Character
New Character
Any Mishima

I never got to play against you. :(
Oh well, maybe in the future with Tekken 7.

I have way too much stuff downloaded on my PS3 to want to sell it. All these PSN store purchases. Unless there's a way to transfer all of that to a PS4, I won't be selling my PS3.

Dereck

Interested in seeing who plays Tekken in my state. Right now I was told that there are currently 50 Tekken entrants as of two days ago. I'm keeping myself level headed and ready for some tournament play, also not underestimating my competition since I just now started to get involved in my state's Tekken scene.

Personal life > video games, any day of the week. Totally understand, I enjoyed the games.

GrayFoxPL

Sorry missed your post GF, no man, I've never actually played Yoshimitsu so I haven't landed the poison knee taunt.... too fraudulent haha. I know Bryan/Yoshi is crazyfist's main team, you can check out his combo vid here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCb_JoWsMKA

EDIT: I shall now spend the rest of this post celebrating Yoshi:

T3:

T4:

T5:

ibtUdZimVXurog.jpg

T6:

ibbdSgr4jWQ2aO.jpg

TTT2:

ibem1H3MlNCfHt.jpg

Crazy combos, don't know what's going on, lol.

Great artsu.

Lately I seek more of strategy vids with setups and the like. There are way too few and far between.

Sorry for the double post but Sasuke did you hear about the tournament Berlin Tekken Crash?

It's gonna be pretty darn big ;) Lots of Polish representatives too! *nudges GrayFox*

I don't know Polish Tekken scene to be honest. Maybe I should. I recognized about 2 names in T3 era.

Almost everyone mistakes me with another player with the same nickname. I keep getting asked online: "Is that you?" "No, I'm not him." lol

Ehehe, Berlin is on the other side of Germany, 600km away^^
Poor student, no car, and my ticket only lets me travel in my area.
But daaamn, would be nice to play GrayFox offline :D

I keep imagining how cool would be to play every Gaffer offline.

AAK

No details about why Saint missed it, but the Italians missed because of a connecting flight they missed. Not sure if it was because of their preceding flight delaying them or if they themselves are to blame. Regardless, crappy situation all around.

Interested in seeing who plays Tekken in my state. Right now I was told that there are currently 50 Tekken entrants as of two days ago. I'm keeping myself level headed and ready for some tournament play, also not underestimating my competition since I just now started to get involved in my state's Tekken scene.

Personal life > video games, any day of the week. Totally understand, I enjoyed the games.

Wha..... That's MORE than a major in Canada :p... Plus that's DURING the biggest Tekken major this year after Final Round that is Strong Style. That's pretty damn cool man!
So Jealous right now!

You should try reaching out to your local Tekken scene GrayFox! You NEVER know who you'll find :)

GrayFoxPL

You should try reaching out to your local Tekken scene GrayFox! You NEVER know who you'll find :)

I had chance to participate in online tournament organized by some polish site, but opted not to.

I don't know I always wanted to stay away from local scene as far as possible. Maybe it's a Polish thing that we hate each other guts.

GrayFoxPL

Impossible! Your every post ooozes charisma! No way hatred can spread in your presence. :)

Nah, GAF and mostly this thread is my sane safe heaven.

I mostly don't post in any Tekken thread in "Gaming" because I'd get so pissed off I'd get banned in a minute.

AAK

Fear not my fellow Tekken fan... I was wary as well when going to my first gather too. But after my first trip, as Mabel would say:

tumblr_inline_nbtmjnU3Pz1skwwvc.gif

EDIT: I get to play VF, DOA, and sometimes SC as well with these guys!

Dereck

Paraphrasing from a recent stream about Aris's thoughts on bound.

You know, now that I think about it internet, one thing that bound did to the Tekken series that I really don't like is that the introduction of bound created the definition of a full combo. Back in previous Tekkens if you got a nice little combo there wasn't a definitive reason as to why or why not that combo was a full combo. Now that they came out with bound, it's kind of annoying, "Oh, he didn't even get a real combo off of that because he didn't get a bound". I don't like that about the game now. It's kind of lame that bound dictates what a full combo is in this game. It never existed before. I don't like that idea. There are some really cool combos that you could do that don't have a bound. The inclusion of the bound takes away from those types of combos. I think we've had enough. We can put that in the history books now, with wall tech, wall push, and tech catching from Tekken 5.0. It's time to move on.

AAK

I disagree with that logic. Bound is a tool in the game, the same way a launcher is a tool in the game. If someone does a super unsafe move on you, you naturally have to do a launcher to get the most damage. Does the presence of launchers now make the game less fun because there is a such thing as a "complete" punish rather than doing any punish you want to do?

av2k

My thoughts on bound or any system changes have been adopted from Korea when I visited Green Arcade. The one thing that separates many of us from them is that they don't really care too much for balance or system mechanics.

I told them what they thought about Tekken 6.. I first told them that I felt it was very unbalanced because of certain characters and system mechanics of this and that. Their answers kinda blew my mind.. they replied as if they never thought of the mechanics or balance before.. "Hmm.. There are issues but really, we just play it for fun and those types of things don't really matter to us."

So, what I learned is that most Koreans play the game for fun and don't rely on the crutch of complaining about certain system mechanics or characters. Probably why they don't get really Tekkened out and they have a HUGE amount of knowledge on all characters because they play for fun and not to just win.

They also don't keep strategies to themselves like Americans do (myself included). When I was fighting a bryan player, they told me to keep side walking right and ewgf'ing and to use certain moves as if I was a korean player too.

I think their culture of trying to help one another, being humble, and having non-serious style gameplay (they don't really care if they win or lose in casuals, just to get better.) really helps out their meta-gameplay tremendously compared to America's closed off nature in order to be #1.

sasuke_91

You gotta memorize quite a lot with Leo.

It's not like my Paul where flowchart is"Deathfiiiiiiiiiist! Did it hit? No - df1~b4, d+1+2. Deathfiiiiiiiiiist! Did it hit? Yes! Run up demoman!" :p

I don't see much of Leo's online so it's not like it's an easy character choice like Alisa, Lili etc.

You are just good with her, so keep getting better and better.
You gotta have good reward type character in your ranks too.

When I lose I go to Paul. Because everyone needs their "Paul" in life. ;)

Totally missed your edit. I guess some of Leo's tools remind me of Xiaoyu which is why playing her comes more natural to me. Xiaoyu/Leo is such a great team. Their combo damage is also quite solid. I get 92 dmg off Xiaoyu's df2~1 and that's her 15 frame launcher. With Lee 84 dmg was the maximum I could do. Combine this with a wall and you get instant death :D

You still have 2 months... maybe you can see if anyone from Frankfurt is going and if you can rideshare with them :)

How much does a train ride cost to get from Frankfurt to Berlin?

EDIT: Woah did NOT know about the autosidestep that AOP has... dang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVeShUxqxxQ

2 months from now... next semester should be pretty busy. Competing in a big tournament should be cool though^^
AAK, don't do this to me :D
But on a serious note, I won't go. Way too far away. Thank you for the information and the encouragement though :)

That sidestep AoP is something I should learn^^

Nah, GAF and mostly this thread is my sane safe heaven.

I mostly don't post in any Tekken thread in "Gaming" because I'd get so pissed off I'd get banned in a minute.

I don't post in "Gaming" threads in general. Way too many posts and opinions... it's chaos. Community is the only place I feel comfortable and where my opinion seems to count somewhat.

GrayFoxPL

My thoughts on bound or any system changes have been adopted from Korea when I visited Green Arcade. The one thing that separates many of us from them is that they don't really care too much for balance or system mechanics.

I told them what they thought about Tekken 6.. I first told them that I felt it was very unbalanced because of certain characters and system mechanics of this and that. Their answers kinda blew my mind.. they replied as if they never thought of the mechanics or balance before.. "Hmm.. There are issues but really, we just play it for fun and those types of things don't really matter to us."

So, what I learned is that most Koreans play the game for fun and don't rely on the crutch of complaining about certain system mechanics or characters. Probably why they don't get really Tekkened out and they have a HUGE amount of knowledge on all characters because they play for fun and not to just win.

They also don't keep strategies to themselves like Americans do (myself included). When I was fighting a bryan player, they told me to keep side walking right and ewgf'ing and to use certain moves as if I was a korean player too.

I think their culture of trying to help one another, being humble, and having non-serious style gameplay (they don't really care if they win or lose in casuals, just to get better.) really helps out their meta-gameplay tremendously compared to America's closed off nature in order to be #1.

Very cool and interesting. If you have more stories like this, please share.

Yeah, playing for fun is the point and probably key to Korean/Japanese level. Though it's hard sometimes to stop the brain from going all: "He kicked you in the face! What are you gonna do about it pansy?!" Haha.

I disagree with that logic. Bound is a tool in the game, the same way a launcher is a tool in the game. If someone does a super unsafe move on you, you naturally have to do a launcher to get the most damage. Does the presence of launchers now make the game less fun because there is a such thing as a "complete" punish rather than doing any punish you want to do?

Yeah. I know what Aris means but it's not like without bound there weren't optimal "full" combos. Someone will always figure out max damage optimal to expert execution combos. I think Aris feels the pain that they are just too long with the bound.

Bound or not there are still situations where you should use different combos like for wall carry or spike opponent to prevent teching or fake combo drops for resets.

Totally missed your edit. I guess some of Leo's tools remind me of Xiaoyu which is why playing her comes more natural to me. Xiaoyu/Leo is such a great team. Their combo damage is also quite solid. I get 92 dmg off Xiaoyu's df2~1 and that's her 15 frame launcher. With Lee 84 dmg was the maximum I could do. Combine this with a wall and you get instant death :D

Oh yeah get as much as you can from this team. Seems their "synergy" is pretty great.

I don't post in "Gaming" threads in general. Way too many posts and opinions... it's chaos. Community is the only place I feel comfortable and where my opinion seems to count somewhat.

Well put, well put.

Guys about Tekken 7...

I'm sorry for babbling but I'm so hyped I can't stop thinking and posting like a madman.

I have a feeling those new systems/mechanics will emphasize "hand-to-hand" fighting.

They said one system is taken from 2d games and that new character will be somewhat designed to take advantage of one of the new systems but we don't know which.

I keep thinking KOF when referred to that 2D system. KOF has Guard Cancel to roll away from opponent or behind and Blow Back that breaks opponent's pressure and crates space. This might be one of these things.

But about that Character who's let's say "expert" at some new system. When I think about it I think "Asuka. She's a reversal character." Many characters have reversals but hers is very easy to use and doesn't have restrictions like "only punches" etc.

I've been thinking and...
Maybe it's something like Feng's f+3+4 auto parry. Feng moves forward during the move and parries strings.
Maybe in Tekken 7 everyone can do similar thing. It let's you rush/dash forward through a string combo or slow recovery move but say if someone just, say jabs once or baits with quick move you'll be vulnerable for punish. Say Kazuya does 1 you do f+3+4, it parries but you'll go into recovery frames and he punishes you. If Kaz does 1,2,2 you parry whole thing and are (maybe)at frame advantage.

Kinda aggressive forward counter attack system("Essence of Tekken"?).

The difference may be that everyone has that move "bare" but that "expert character" has special follow ups, movement options(backdash parry?) or stance transitions.

We'll know in 2 weeks or so but the questions about the "new systems" won't let me sleep.

Guys, what are your guesses about what are those new systems?

If someone of us guesses right he's gonna be the King Of IronFistGAF :D.

Xevren

That's pretty crazy to see how they think like that. Also amazing that you went to Green Arcade, that must have been quite an experience!

AAK

I'll be honest I'm pretty convinced the first major new design decision is gonna be jump ins. That is the one thing that's convincing me of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUmTErqTOU&feature=youtu.be&t=8m42s

This is Thomasoraus's interview with Harada back in 2013. I think they found a jump in system that worked and wanted to test it with Tekken 7. And since Micheal Murray said the unrevealed character uses this mechanic a lot I'm thinking it's something like Devil Kazumi or something that flies and does a lot of vertical attacks...

Of coarse I could be completely wrong. As for the second mechanic... I have no clue LOL.

2 months from now... next semester should be pretty busy. Competing in a big tournament should be cool though^^
AAK, don't do this to me :D
But on a serious note, I won't go. Way too far away. Thank you for the information and the encouragement though :)

That sidestep AoP is something I should learn^^

Ah well, there's always next time! I dunno if I showed you this website before but the TZ thread linked me to this forum for other things. You can hopefully find local competition from here:

http://www.tekkentreff.de/moonlight/tdr/home/boards.xhtml?

And oh look... a Frankfurt thread :p

Thanks for the story AV! That's the same feeling I have for this game. Despite all the bullshit I just have so much fun.

Anyways guys... Looks like some italians DID make it! Harry Potter vs Mr. Naps going on right now!

http://www.twitch.tv/norcalstrongstyle

sasuke_91

Ah well, there's always next time! I dunno if I showed you this website before but the TZ thread linked me to this forum for other things. You can hopefully find local competition from here:

http://www.tekkentreff.de/moonlight/tdr/home/boards.xhtml?

And oh look... a Frankfurt thread :p
Yeah you showed me that forum a while ago. That's where I learned about Hessen Crash.
And guess who created the Frankfurt thread :p

I just played against TMM. I got destroyed twice. First with Hwo/Steve and then with Ling/Leo. He kind of seemed like he wasn't taking me seriously AND he didn't respond to my "gg"... now I hate him :(

GrayFoxPL

I'll be honest I'm pretty convinced the first major new design decision is gonna be jump ins. That is the one thing that's convincing me of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUmTErqTOU&feature=youtu.be&t=8m42s

This is Thomasoraus's interview with Harada back in 2013. I think they found a jump in system that worked and wanted to test it with Tekken 7. And since Micheal Murray said the unrevealed character uses this mechanic a lot I'm thinking it's something like Devil Kazumi or something that flies and does a lot of vertical attacks...

Of coarse I could be completely wrong. As for the second mechanic... I have no clue LOL.

Jump ins. Wow I'd be in legit shock. I know Harada wants this in TxSF but if they'd put it to Tekken 7 it would blow my brain.

Edit:
Strongstyle started? The tournament?

That stream sounds kinda like home party.

AAK

Daaaamn That is NOT how I imagined Wonkey hahaha. For some reason I assumed he was of some Asian descent living in Australia haha.

Manbig

EDIT: Woah did NOT know about the autosidestep that AOP has... dang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVeShUxqxxQ

Surprised you didn't know about that earlier. It's incredibly obnoxious. She even gets around tracking mids with low hitboxes. (Marduk's d/f1)

I disagree.

I think that the real reason that they don't get "Tekkened out" is because their environment to learn the game is completely different, and they dedicate an incredible amount of time to the game.

Learning how to deal with all of the shenanigans in Tekken is a full time job, and that is what I think is complete bullshit. I shouldn't have to dedicate all of my free time for gaming solely to Tekken just to learn how to get around some bullshit. Virtua Fighter is a very complex game, but manages to completely avoid this by having competent mechanics and a training mode that is worth a shit, I see no reason why people can't ask for Tekken to do the same.

As far as their environment goes, they have the luxury of being able to play in an arcade setting where everyone can go and get better off of each other. We haven't had anything even remotely close to that in America since 5.0/DR, and even then I would argue that the level of competition was still inconsistent and varied due to regions.

South Koreans are very lucky in that aspect and I would put money down that if they had to resort to what America has to resort to, then their growth in the game would be just as stunted.

Sayah

Tekken does require a lot of dedication. However, I don't think you need to make Tekken your life to get better. I only generally get to play on weekends and am okay/good/not too terrible at the game. It's true that since TTT2 released, I haven't batted much of an eye at other games. But that's because Tekken is too addictive and not because I feel like I need to constantly play so I can improve. I've tried many times to get into other single player adventures only to go back to Tekken. I have started but have yet to finish the last of us, persona 3, dark souls 2, bioshock infinite, tales of xillia, etc). Not to mention the 150 or so games I have in the backlog. Tomb Raider is actually the only game I finished to completion since TTT2 came out, lol.

Super Smash Bros. 4 will be the game to finally break this spell.

Manbig

Tekken does require a lot of dedication. However, I don't think you need to make Tekken your life to get better. I only generally get to play on weekends and am okay/good/not too terrible at the game. It's true that since TTT2 released, I haven't batted much of an eye at other games. But that's because Tekken is too addictive and not because I feel like I need to constantly play so I can improve. I've tried many times to get into other single player adventures only to go back to Tekken. I have started but have yet to finish the last of us, persona 3, dark souls 2, bioshock infinite, tales of xillia, etc). Not to mention the 150 or so games I have in the backlog. Tomb Raider is actually the only game I finished to completion since TTT2 came out, lol.

Super Smash Bros. 4 will be the game to finally break this spell.

It's not about dedicating your life (admittedly hyperbole) to just get better. It's about requiring an absurd amount of time just to learn your way around every single basic shenanigan in the game. For low/mid level players like everyone here not named Av Kazama, you are hardly playing versus the other player. You are playing versus their character more often than not. It's typically who has the gimmick that the other person does not know how to deal with, and then run that shit on them until the match is over.

That shit ain't fun.

Sayah

It's not about dedicating your life (admittedly hyperbole) to just get better. It's about requiring an absurd amount of time just to learn your way around every single basic shenanigan in the game. For low/mid level players like everyone here not named Av Kazama, you are hardly playing versus the other player. You are playing versus their character more often than not. It's typically who has the gimmick that the other person does not know how to deal with, and then run that shit on them until the match is over.

That shit ain't fun.

I definitely agree with you that the game takes time to learn. But I also think it's very rewarding and fun. If someone's running gimmick setups on you, the practice mode thankfully has a record function now. Just watch the match replay, replicate whatever you're falling for using the CPU in training, and learn how to escape it.

For instance, you did this for Anna's options from Chaos Judgment.

You can have fun with the game while you're learning. I don't think it has to be super tiring and exhausting and it's still possible to do other things/play other games if you don't already have a busy schedule and very limited time for gaming. There are definitely a lot of matchups to learn and a lot of BS to sift through before you can become adept, though.

AAK

Although I'm not qualified to speak on behalf of VF but I honestly feel the exact same way in that game when it comes to gimmicks like it was when I'm unfamiliar with Tekken. Whenever I fought a Shun, Pai, Lion, or Lei Fei during my time with that game I was simply subjected to a barrage of attacks that made no sense to me on how to react where (like you explained in Tekken) the only way to win was when I did my own barrage of attack gimmicks with Sarah that my opponents had no idea to deal with. But in the end I guess I could agree that Tekken's analogue output for movement makes right reads go unrewarded from weird angles/funky getup situations and what not along with being more execution demanding.

But I wouldn't say the difference is THAT much which makes Tekken so much harder to learn than VF. Unless maybe it's implied that the many extra options Tekken has with wakeup/okizeme tips the scale to getting too ridiculous? (Completely ignoring execution this paragraph)

But another thing, I personally don't mind the plethora of gimmicks in Tekken/VF. To me the thrill of enjoyment appears each time I figure out and adapt to a certain gimmick making me feel I accomplished something. I still find the game a lot of fun in those situations just as long as no rules are broken.

GrayFoxPL

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Korean or Japanese players, you know, busy as fuck?
I can't really belive they'll have this incredible amount of free time to break the game into atoms.
I think it has more to do with how fundamentally different they play fg at thier core. Also like AV said they share info even with opponents.

I terms of VF, it's a different game I don't know why Manny keeps comparing it.
I can't forget what, I think, LA Akira said this one time, that VF is a digital game, while Tekken is an analogue game. I think it's pretty brilliant way to put it.
When VF5FS was active online I did much better in it than Tekken. Just because few things. Crouch dashing forward by mashing df, crouch backdashing by mashing db. Took no effort or skills. But the godly timed sidestep is what made true difference. So what if I'm fighting against Lei Fei with million stances, I can just zoom past him with timed sidestep, boost it with pkg and before he'll use homing and throws I can switch to quick pokes. (...)

GrayFoxPL

(Sorry posting from PS3 - limited text)

...and that digital zoom jf sidestep worked even if you were in corner. If this was in Tekken, It would make my fights much easier, but I don't want it. I preffer Tekken's analogue sidestep where you control it's lenght and cancel at every frame instead of canned movement of VF digital sidestep.

Seriously let VF be VF and Tekken, Tekken. Theose games never played similar.

av2k

Surprised you didn't know about that earlier. It's incredibly obnoxious. She even gets around tracking mids with low hitboxes. (Marduk's d/f1)

I disagree.

I think that the real reason that they don't get "Tekkened out" is because their environment to learn the game is completely different, and they dedicate an incredible amount of time to the game.

Learning how to deal with all of the shenanigans in Tekken is a full time job, and that is what I think is complete bullshit. I shouldn't have to dedicate all of my free time for gaming solely to Tekken just to learn how to get around some bullshit. Virtua Fighter is a very complex game, but manages to completely avoid this by having competent mechanics and a training mode that is worth a shit, I see no reason why people can't ask for Tekken to do the same.

As far as their environment goes, they have the luxury of being able to play in an arcade setting where everyone can go and get better off of each other. We haven't had anything even remotely close to that in America since 5.0/DR, and even then I would argue that the level of competition was still inconsistent and varied due to regions.

South Koreans are very lucky in that aspect and I would put money down that if they had to resort to what America has to resort to, then their growth in the game would be just as stunted.

To you it's known as shenanigans or bullshit but to them, much of the set ups are common knowledge and that information flows freely at green arcade. Whether you are a noob or pro, you will be instilled with knowledge of how a certain character plays and things to watch out for as you are playing from the get go. I found this out while five guys were hovering over me giving me advice while the Tekken lady gave me free iced coffee in the first hours that I was there as a foreigner before meeting the big dogs (sunchip, rain, Hao, ace, etc).

"Shenanigans" as a word to westerners has a negative connotation of being cheap or unpredictable. Where as in Korea.. Shenanigans is known as "technology" which doesn't really make it a chore to fight against but rather, something to embrace and try to adapt with your character. It's not a chore like it is here and I think the main reason is there's no ego to defend since everyone there are friends.

They do spend a lot of time playing at Green but I don't think it's to stay #1 but rather to just have fun. Many of the players there show up after a long day of work (some in business uniforms or medical attire) and just hang out and catch up with each other without even playing. An example of this is sunchip showing up and talking to me in hilarious broken English "WASSSSSSSUP MANNNN????" for hours without even sitting down at one of the cabinets.

The biggest thing people actually do at green arcade is not playing but actually spectating the death matches. After they're done, they usually just go out to drink and eat. The top 30% of players usually beat each other with no clear #1 player in sight save for few players such as Knee, Saint, or JDCR. I also saw a ton of underused fighters as well such as Yoshimitsu, Asuka, Ling, Wang, and Baek being utilized at their fullest potential beating even top tiers.

As for fighting the player and not the character. In America, you're fighting the character because we have the issue of being far from each other. This has been mitigated somewhat by online play but it's still an issue because of lag. That's also the reason why some of our fights are waaaaaaaay more dynamic and fun to watch than a typical asian tournament fight in my opinion (Evo finals come to mind - tons of backdashing and safe pokes).

Anywho, that's my thoughts after 15 years of competitive Tekken. If you have anything else you'd like to ask, please feel free to. ^^

AAK

OMG... Bronson's Jinpachi.

To you it's known as shenanigans or bullshit but to them, much of the set ups are common knowledge and that information flows freely at green arcade. Whether you are a noob or pro, you will be instilled with knowledge of how a certain character plays and things to watch out for as you are playing from the get go. I found this out while five guys were hovering over me giving me advice while the Tekken lady gave me free iced coffee in the first hours that I was there as a foreigner before meeting the big dogs (sunchip, rain, Hao, ace, etc).

"Shenanigans" as a word to westerners has a negative connotation of being cheap or unpredictable. Where as in Korea.. Shenanigans is known as "technology" which doesn't really make it a chore to fight against but rather, something to embrace and try to adapt with your character. It's not a chore like it is here and I think the main reason is there's no ego to defend since everyone there are friends.

They do spend a lot of time playing at Green but I don't think it's to stay #1 but rather to just have fun. Many of the players there show up after a long day of work (some in business uniforms or medical attire) and just hang out and catch up with each other without even playing. An example of this is sunchip showing up and talking to me in hilarious broken English "WASSSSSSSUP MANNNN????" for hours without even sitting down at one of the cabinets.

The biggest thing people actually do at green arcade is not playing but actually spectating the death matches. After they're done, they usually just go out to drink and eat. The top 30% of players usually beat each other with no clear #1 player in sight save for few players such as Knee, Saint, or JDCR. I also saw a ton of underused fighters as well such as Yoshimitsu, Asuka, Ling, Wang, and Baek being utilized at their fullest potential beating even top tiers.

As for fighting the player and not the character. In America, you're fighting the character because we have the issue of being far from each other. This has been mitigated somewhat by online play but it's still an issue because of lag. That's also the reason why some of our fights are waaaaaaaay more dynamic and fun to watch than a typical asian tournament fight in my opinion (Evo finals come to mind - tons of backdashing and safe pokes).

Anywho, that's my thoughts after 15 years of competitive Tekken. If you have anything else you'd like to ask, please feel free to. ^^

Interesting, thanks for the read! I always wondered though, did they have that same mentality for games like T5.0, T4, and T6.0? I can't fathom their willing to continue to adapt in games with as much bullshit as those ones haha.

EDIT:

HOLY SHIT! MadDogJin STREAMS!

http://www.twitch.tv/tekkenframe

He's just playing some online ranked. But damn, this is by far my favorite Tekken player ever.

EDIT2: Nvm that's just knee's stream, I think MadDogJin was just at his place momentarily. False alarm *damn*

Sayah

Tekken 6 didn't have much bullshit. In fact, I think Tekken 6 is the best balanced game in the series. TTT2 is also rather well balanced but the recent discoveries rank it below T6 now IMO.

Edit: unless you're talking about vanilla Tekken 6 and not BR. I never played vanilla obviously so don't know what problems that one had, if any.

m0t0k1

Tekken 6 didn't have much bullshit. In fact, I think Tekken 6 is the best balanced game in the series. TTT2 is also rather well balanced but the recent discoveries rank it below T6 now IMO.

Edit: unless you're talking about vanilla Tekken 6 and not BR. I never played vanilla obviously so don't know what problems that one had, if any.

May i ask what discoveries. I am trying to keep up with the tekken scene but sometimes i miss things.

Sayah

May i ask what discoveries. I am trying to keep up with the tekken scene but sometimes i miss things.

Bob infinite, Lei tag assault shenanigans, yoshi/jinpachi oki setups, glitch with camera angle, etc. Though, I don't know how viable any of this is in actual matches. Its the reason why I can't wait for strong style matches to be uploaded to see if any of this has any impact on actual competitive matches.

I would post video links but I'm posting from my cell phone at my job and I avoid using work desktop for non-relevant things. You can search for this stuff on YouTube or maybe someone else can provide it.

GrayFoxPL

Never seen this in actual matches.

Btw that guys youtube account doesn't have that much views but publicity on eg AVP might bring issues.

m0t0k1

Bob infinite, Lei tag assault shenanigans, yoshi/jinpachi oki setups, glitch with camera angle, etc. Though, I don't know how viable any of this is in actual matches. Its the reason why I can't wait for strong style matches to be uploaded to see if any of this has any impact on actual competitive matches.

I would post video links but I'm posting from my cell phone at my job and I avoid using work desktop for non-relevant things. You can search for this stuff on YouTube or maybe someone else can provide it.

I have not seen them in actual tournaments but i think i can manage to find the info on these things on my own. Thanks for explaining have to do some research work.

GrayFoxPL

Wonder if Harada is pissed off at spooky for that stream fail.

Anyway watching NYC Fab stream. His series with Speedkicks is awesome to watch.

Edit:
And it's gone!

Sayah

Let me see what we can do ;)

I am meeting with Harada this weekend.

JLijS.gif

Never seen this in actual matches.

Btw that guys youtube account doesn't have that much views but publicity on eg AVP might bring issues.

I have not seen them in actual tournaments but i think i can manage to find the info on these things on my own. Thanks for explaining have to do some research work.

None of the things I've mentioned have been used in actual matches (to my knowledge), which is precisely why I'm interested in StrongStyle results. Maybe Flying Wonkey will have the scoop for us since it might take a while before we get our hands on tournament footage.

Wonder if Harada is pissed off at spooky for that stream fail.
You mean at Comic-Con? It wasn't Spooky's fault. The internet there was terrible. And Spooky already successfully streamed for Harada at the TGS so I would think things are fine between them.

GrayFoxPL

You mean at Comic-Con? It wasn't Spooky's fault. The internet there was terrible. And Spooky already successfully streamed for Harada at the TGS so I would think things are fine between them.

I know it wasn't his fault but I can guess for Harada what mattered was who was responsible for delivering the stream. You know Japanese, they don't accept excuses. Harada is waiting for Spooky's fingers.

;)

Spooky is the best pro at streaming business but I wouldn't count that incident as something Harada let slip past.

I've seen some yakuza flicks I know this shit. ;)

(It's late, sorry)

Sayah

I know it wasn't his fault but I can guess for Harada what mattered was who was responsible for delivering the stream. You know Japanese, they don't accept excuses. Harada is waiting for Spooky's fingers.

;)

Spooky is the best pro at streaming business but I wouldn't count that incident as something Harada let slip past.

I've seen some yakuza flicks I know this shit. ;)

(It's late, sorry)

GrayFoxPL
Tekken GAF's Comedian and Japanese Culture Expert
(Today, 06:28 PM)

:p

Top Bottom