• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

Damn WHAT DID I SAY! That whiff and Bob unleashes with ws+2,1 FTW!

;)

But great composure man for still getting the victory after the grabapolooza that got unleashed on you. Remember, after a 1 jab be on the lookout for giant swing!

I'm always mashing on the square button when facing King. :lol

Edit:
boutdown getting those tourney nerves. Dropping too many combos.

AAK

Damn, that's 2 game winning combo's that were dropped cause of missed inputs :( I know how bad that feels. But he has another game of 3 to make this happen. You can do it brother!

EDIT: Dammit another game winning combo!

AAK

Damn, you still played like a champion bout! Good job this tourney! You did better than me when I got 2nd at a major :p

We were all sending our suggestions but we all have no idea how much tension there was in the room during the match. You still played really good Tekken and it was hype to watch. You entertained a good 2,600 viewers with some solid Tekken. Pat yourself on the back for the performance!

av2k

Nice try boutdown, was rooting for you! The only downfall was really not breaking throws and dropping combos. :( If you get those two down, the next tournament is in the bag.

Sayah

Damn.....boutdown at 2nd. :/

Still, regardless, 2nd place at your first tourney is absolutely brilliant.

boutdown was going downtown but then them tourney nerves.

I know I had serious tourney nerves during the Apex tournament. And I played like shit as a result, haha.

av2k

But real talk none of us can compare to AV2k's drop on Ao to send him to loser's at EVO :p

fuuuuck-mrw-i-accidentally-leave-my-phone-unlocked-next-to-my-girlfriend-and-she-check-my-messages.gif

AAK

I'll be honest, I'm on purpose not looking at KOR's Tekken Academy... it's kind of a long shot but I'd like to watch the matches first and see the results fresh. Gonna try to go into blackout mode to avoid spoilers.

Would also appreciate it if you guys spoiler tag SS results too :)

According to Yuu, the StrongStyle top 3:

1st: Saint________
2nd: Nobi________
3rd: Bronson (!)____

Random hilarious thing related to the results,
the highest placing American gets a free ticket to KiT, so of course the person least interested in traveling would get it hahahaha.

Dereck

I can't believe I did it, I actually entered a tournament, and I didn't look salty on camera.
oVJl8tc.png

I just re-watched the stream, what an experience it is to watch myself play. It goes without saying that I pretty much knew everything I did wrong.

For 2nd I got a shirt, Tekken Tag 2 Wii U and JoJo on PS3.

GrayFoxPL

Bout! Congrats man! I wanted to see it, but it was too late at night, will be watching that archive though.

Congrats again, you're tournament player now.

I can't believe I did it, I actually entered a tournament, and I didn't look salty on camera.
oVJl8tc.png

I just re-watched the stream, what an experience it is to watch myself play. It goes without saying that I pretty much knew everything I did wrong.

For 2nd I got a shirt, Tekken Tag 2 Wii U and JoJo on PS3.

Congratulations on making it as far as you did. I unfortunately couldn't watch the stream, but I look forward to watching the archives. I told you before from our sessions that you are going to be a future tournament player and look at you now. Keep it up.

sasuke_91

Haha nice. So that's how you play with no lag :p

Only came to watch the match against KillaKam. I'll watch the other match later. He really went cheap when he noticed you were better than him, relying on sweeps and grabs a lot. I liked the comments at the beginning "He came out of nowhere and beat our best Oldtimers"^^
Really great match, you deserved it!

Sayah

I'm taking next Friday off to see (and hopefully play) the preview of Tekken 7!

It feels nice...
PLAY?

I'm jealous. :p

I took Friday off from work too but that was for other reasons besides Tekken. Can't wait regardless to see some Tekken 7 in action. Hopefully, MarkMan/Spooky are streaming.

Haha nice. So that's how you play with no lag :p

Only came to watch the match against KillaKam. I'll watch the other match later. He really went cheap when he noticed you were better than him, relying on sweeps and grabs a lot. I liked the comments at the beginning "He came out of nowhere and beat our best Oldtimers"^^
Really great match, you deserved it!

I watched the matches and they were good.

I don't understand what going "cheap" means though. Are sweeps and grabs cheap? I don't get it.

Doomshine

I don't understand what going "cheap" means though. Are sweeps and grabs cheap? I don't get it.

I haven't watched it yet but it sounds to me like he saw a weakness and took advantage of it so no, I wouldn't say it's cheap.

Also I had no idea you could cancel AKs db+1+2 with down and go into the command low parry, randomly found out in practice mode :p

sasuke_91

He noticed grabs and sweeps work against boutdown, so he based his gameplay on them. It's a strategy and not necessarily "cheap", but really frustrating to watch especially since King's throws are so strong. I can't blame him to be honest. He still got beaten in the end. In ranked this probably would have gotten him a hatemail :p

Manbig

To you it's known as shenanigans or bullshit but to them, much of the set ups are common knowledge and that information flows freely at green arcade. Whether you are a noob or pro, you will be instilled with knowledge of how a certain character plays and things to watch out for as you are playing from the get go. I found this out while five guys were hovering over me giving me advice while the Tekken lady gave me free iced coffee in the first hours that I was there as a foreigner before meeting the big dogs (sunchip, rain, Hao, ace, etc).

"Shenanigans" as a word to westerners has a negative connotation of being cheap or unpredictable. Where as in Korea.. Shenanigans is known as "technology" which doesn't really make it a chore to fight against but rather, something to embrace and try to adapt with your character. It's not a chore like it is here and I think the main reason is there's no ego to defend since everyone there are friends.

They do spend a lot of time playing at Green but I don't think it's to stay #1 but rather to just have fun. Many of the players there show up after a long day of work (some in business uniforms or medical attire) and just hang out and catch up with each other without even playing. An example of this is sunchip showing up and talking to me in hilarious broken English "WASSSSSSSUP MANNNN????" for hours without even sitting down at one of the cabinets.

The biggest thing people actually do at green arcade is not playing but actually spectating the death matches. After they're done, they usually just go out to drink and eat. The top 30% of players usually beat each other with no clear #1 player in sight save for few players such as Knee, Saint, or JDCR. I also saw a ton of underused fighters as well such as Yoshimitsu, Asuka, Ling, Wang, and Baek being utilized at their fullest potential beating even top tiers.

As for fighting the player and not the character. In America, you're fighting the character because we have the issue of being far from each other. This has been mitigated somewhat by online play but it's still an issue because of lag. That's also the reason why some of our fights are waaaaaaaay more dynamic and fun to watch than a typical asian tournament fight in my opinion (Evo finals come to mind - tons of backdashing and safe pokes).

Anywho, that's my thoughts after 15 years of competitive Tekken. If you have anything else you'd like to ask, please feel free to. ^^

Shenanigans, from my understanding, has nothing to do with playing cheap. It is about relying on a tactic that is not "supposed" to work and preys 100% on the opponent's ignorance. For example, this applies to nearly every single canned string "mix up" in Tekken where the last hit involves either a mid or a low. These can be made obsolete with practice of course, but my point is the absurd amount of them within the game makes it a huge arbitrary hurdle that every player has to overcome to get to the actual meat of the game.

As far as all of that stuff about Green Arcade goes, that was pretty much my exact point. That sort of environment is something that America doesn't have simply because it cannot exist. The closest thing that we can hope to getting something like that is a future with damn near flawless internet. Maybe if Google Fiber ever becomes a real thing countrywide...

I can't say that I feel the same about America's matches in regards to being more dynamic to watch. I love watching a player that knows what he/she is doing. When I see people stuff like slow sweeps constantly connecting, several throws not being broken, coin flip set ups constantly working, juggles being dropped, strings not being ducked/stepped, and tags going unpunished, it just looks like ugly gameplay to me. I would prefer that the tournament players would leave that stuff to casual scrubs like myself.

On another note, congrats on placing well at that tournament Boutdown! You are clearly the most improved player here and you deserved it.

mr_boo

Tekken 7 gameplay reveal this Saturday, I cannot wait to see what they have in store for us!
Honestly was hoping for some news on 7 would come out over StrongStyle....absolutely can't wait for this weekend.

Shenanigans, from my understanding, has nothing to do with playing cheap. It is about relying on a tactic that is not "supposed" to work and preys 100% on the opponent's ignorance. For example, this applies to nearly every single canned string "mix up" in Tekken where the last hit involves either a mid or a low. These can be made obsolete with practice of course, but my point is the absurd amount of them within the game makes it a huge arbitrary hurdle that every player has to overcome to get to the actual meat of the game.

As far as all of that stuff about Green Arcade goes, that was pretty much my exact point. That sort of environment is something that America doesn't have simply because it cannot exist. The closest thing that we can hope to getting something like that is a future with damn near flawless internet. Maybe if Google Fiber ever becomes a real thing countrywide...
Aris's latest podcast had a segment talking about an article on Japanese SF4 players experiences at the latest EVO. In the article, one of the Japanese players (Mago) was commenting how "cheap/dirty" American play was from his opponent, SanfordKelly. The interesting part was that the cheap/dirty assertion wasn't based on in-game play. Rather it attributed to the SanfordKelly physical presence (apparently intimidating) and button mashing during knockdown...to the degree that Mago was "very scared". I think this highlights two things really: (1) the culture differences that av2k and Manbig spoke about and (2) where the line should be drawn on "cheap/dirty" play.

Aris thinks it's a ding in the armor of Japanese players...a psychological weakness. Anyways, IMO, in-game shenanigans/cheap/dirty play is all fair...if it's in the game, it's in the game. But a line could be drawn in respect to what SanfordKelly did or how he played. But I think that's simply how our culture generally is here in the states, so it is what it is. Interesting stuff.

Manbig

Honestly was hoping for some news on 7 would come out over StrongStyle....absolutely can't wait for this weekend.

Aris's latest podcast had a segment talking about an article on Japanese SF4 players experiences at the latest EVO. In the article, one of the Japanese players (Mago) was commenting how "cheap/dirty" American play was from his opponent, SanfordKelly. The interesting part was that the cheap/dirty assertion wasn't based on in-game play. Rather it attributed to the SanfordKelly physical presence (apparently intimidating) and button mashing during knockdown...to the degree that Mago was "very scared". I think this highlights two things really: (1) the culture differences that av2k and Manbig spoke about and (2) where the line should be drawn on "cheap/dirty" play.

Aris thinks it's a ding in the armor of Japanese players...a psychological weakness. Anyways, IMO, in-game shenanigans/cheap/dirty play is all fair...if it's in the game, it's in the game. But a line could be drawn in respect to what SanfordKelly did or how he played. But I think that's simply how our culture generally is here in the states, so it is what it is. Interesting stuff.

That's a pretty common thing in New York. Mojo (BadMojoGogo) used to do weird shit all the time to get into people's heads. I recall hearing a story from Clash 2007 (where Mojo beat Crow in the grand finals) where Mojo got launched and then screamed out loud to make his opponent drop the combo. As long as it's not against the laid out rules, he was never above crossing that line.

GrayFoxPL

Tekken 7 gameplay reveal this Saturday, I cannot wait to see what they have in store for us!

Yeah I cannot wait. Can't stop thinking about it.

I installed PS All Stars free from PS+. Played some Heihachi of course. It's a funny feeling seeing him in other game than Tekken, like in SFxT but here he looks faithful to his Tag2 looks. His story is about his youth potion too. He has unlockable taunts costumes intros and outros. Everything looks really well made. His Kuma super is just hilarious, made me want to make Hei & Kuma team in Tag2, just too funny.
I was really surprised at level of detail this game has put to each character.
Also little details like by doing air u+a3 Heihachi throws his gold statue from bowling but randomly he throws beach ball from Tekken Ball and it stays on stage so you can kick it. I love it.

Sadly today PSN totally blew up for me so I couldn't play online.

That's a pretty common thing in New York. Mojo (BadMojoGogo) used to do weird shit all the time to get into people's heads. I recall hearing a story from Clash 2007 (where Mojo beat Crow in the grand finals) where Mojo got launched and then screamed out loud to make his opponent drop the combo. As long as it's not against the laid out rules, he was never above crossing that line.

That's pretty redneck way to behave tbh. I'm pretty sure rule books often doesn't include things like spitting in opponent face, doesn't mean anyone should ever attempt it.
In the game do whatever the game allows you to, but outside act with decent sportsmanship.

Manbig

Yeah I cannot wait. Can't stop thinking about it.

I installed PS All Stars free from PS+. Played some Heihachi of course. It's a funny feeling seeing him in other game than Tekken, like in SFxT but here he looks faithful to his Tag2 looks. His story is about his youth potion too. He has unlockable taunts costumes intros and outros. Everything looks really well made. His Kuma super is just hilarious, made me want to make Hei & Kuma team in Tag2, just too funny.
I was really surprised at level of detail this game has put to each character.
Also little details like by doing air u+a3 Heihachi throws his gold statue from bowling but randomly he throws beach ball from Tekken Ball and it stays on stage so you can kick it. I love it.

Sadly today PSN totally blew up for me so I couldn't play online.

That's pretty redneck way to behave tbh. I'm pretty sure rule books often doesn't include things like spitting in opponent face, doesn't mean anyone should ever attempt it.
In the game do whatever the game allows you to, but outside act with decent sportsmanship.

Well I certainly am not defending or condoning that sort of behavior.

Physically touching your opponent isn't allowed, so thankfully it would never go that far.
I do remember him doing stuff like tackling with Marduk and then reaching out for his opponents buttons acting like he's going to press their buttons to throw them off right before he would do the tackle follow ups. This was more of a rare thing that he did to joke around during casuals though.

Screaming to have your opponent drop the combo? That just sounds desperate.

That, along with other antics like not allowing Crow to pick his intended character after messing up at the character select screen, helped him win Clash 2007. I actually got a laugh out of it. My training partner from back then used to own up Mojo pretty hard in DR, and his reaction after hearing about Mojo winning was one for the ages. He was quite upset. lol

GrayFoxPL

Well I certainly am not defending or condoning that sort of behavior.

Physically touching your opponent isn't allowed, so thankfully it would never go that far.
I do remember him doing stuff like tackling with Marduk and then reaching out for his opponents buttons acting like he's going to press their buttons to throw them off right before he would do the tackle follow ups.

Lol if I was tourney mod I'd tell him to stop this whack acting or get out.

mr_boo

Lol if I was tourney mod I'd tell him to stop this whack acting or get out.
Tournaments should have their own rules as such...but there are no such rules in place in casual arcade gaming. All bets are off, and the only thing governing etiquette is individual personality and the local arcade culture.

My experiences in the arcade (ages ago) were for the most part pretty competitive based, and not-so friendly in nature (as I got older, I chilled out). For instance, a couple of occasions actual physical fights almost happened.

GrayFoxPL

Some new interview with Harada.

About Catalina:

Katsuhiro Harada (interpreted through Michael Murray): It's not so much about the number of techniques. For people who know how to play Tekken, they'd know to try out different strings, right? Like Left Kick, Right Punch or something like that.

But for beginners, they're not going to think to try out these combinations. We've noticed that many beginners would just jam on the buttons -- usually something like Left Kick, Left Kick, Left Kick or Right Punch, Right Punch, Right Punch.

For Catalina, she will have strings that comprise entirely of repeated presses of the same button. So that when they're jamming on the buttons, at least there will be some cool and flashy moves that will come out.

So in that sense Catalina will be easier to play, and [serve as] at the very least a foothold in the door.

Hype for Catalina going dooooooooooooooooooown.

I hope she's not THAT brainless.

GrayFoxPL

At least we'll know which strings to look up and beat out right away. :D

Unless they are tracking, all mids, natural combo, +10 on block.

But really I hope there easy to sidestep and punishable.

God I forgot she'll be talking trash. In what language? Lol.

GrayFoxPL

I can see this working. Play like normal but if you press a button more than two times, it turns into a easy to dodge ten string that doesn't work at high level.

I'm all for it.

Wow, ten string? Let's not get carried away..

Realistically I imagine something like T3 Hwoarang. 4-5 hits. Since Savate has kinda wide stance and long kicks I expect kicks buttons for the strings.

I somehow can't imagine 8-10 hit string done only by left punch, lol.

av2k

Wow, ten string? Let's not get carried away..

Realistically I imagine something like T3 Hwoarang. 4-5 hits. Since Savate has kinda wide stance and long kicks I expect kicks buttons for the strings.

I somehow can't imagine 8-10 hit string done only by left punch, lol.

Doesn't have to be a ten string, a five hit combo like hwoarang's is perfectly fine too.

Top Bottom