• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Manbig

Unless they are tracking, all mids, natural combo, +10 on block.

But really I hope there easy to sidestep and punishable.

God I forgot she'll be talking trash. In what language? Lol.

For the most part, if there is no highs to duck in a string, you usually have these options.

- Built in character parries/counters to use in the middle of the string.
- At least one of the hits are steppable/walkable.
- For strings that end in either low or mid, one option is sometimes slower than the other, so you can use some variation of fuzzy guard to beat both options.
- Also for strings that end in either low or mid, if both enders come out at the same speed, usually only one of them will track, so you can option select SS into guard to beat out both options.
- Sometimes strings are interruptable in the middle.

That's all that I can remember off the top of my head at the moment, but you have a lot of options to check off when learning how to beat strings.

GrayFoxPL

For the most part, if there is no highs to duck in a string, you usually have these options.

- Built in character parries/counters to use in the middle of the string.
- At least one of the hits are steppable/walkable.
- For strings that end in either low or mid, one option is sometimes slower than the other, so you can use some variation of fuzzy guard to beat both options.
- Also for strings that end in either low or mid, if both enders come out at the same speed, usually only one of them will track, so you can option select SS into guard to beat out both options.
- Sometimes strings are interruptable in the middle.

That's all that I can remember off the top of my head at the moment, but you have a lot of options to check off when learning how to beat strings.

I can only fuzzy somewhat in VF and DOA.

In Tekken backdash cancel comes out eventually for me. Is fuzzy guard in Tekken done maybe with neutral guards?

Manbig

I can only fuzzy somewhat in VF and DOA.

In Tekken backdash cancel comes out eventually for me. Is fuzzy guard in Tekken done maybe with neutral guards?

Fuzzy guard in general just means going from crouch guard to neutral guard, but staying in crouch guard for as few frames as possible. It is actually inherently built into backdash cancelling due to the inputs required. It can just be difficult to react to when you block lows in this situation, because you typically aren't expecting it to happen. JDCR is an example of someone that takes full advantage of this situation when it arises.

In the situation that I was referencing, let's take a string that has the ability to end with either a mid or a low, but the low connects faster than the mid does. In this scenario, you need to find a timing where you can either tap d/b to block, or tap d/f to low parry, and then instantly go back to neutral. If you time it correctly, you will block/parry the low and still block the mid, which just about completely eliminates any threat that the string could impose on you otherwise.

It is also worth noting that the main counter to fuzzy guard is to change up the timing of your offense. This is why delayable strings, and strings where the character recovers with only a tiny bit of frame disadvantage when blocked and ended early, are typically the best strings in the game. This is also why 95% of strings in Virtua Fighter are SUPER delayable, since fuzzy guarding is such a monumental part of that game.

GrayFoxPL

Nice, thanks for the write up Manny.

Guys, this is totally minor but one thing I'd love changed is crouch dash treated like a special move, having a sound effect and a speck of dust coming out from feet. The way they did it for Kaz in SFxT was so satisfying to use and look. Very cool and aggressive. Today playing PS All-Stars I noticed they did the same with Hei. His crouch dash has this quick dash dust effect and "SHOO! SHOO!" sfx.

It's unimportant detail, but I'd really love if they added it in T7. The silent sliding is not doing it for me anymore.

Doomshine

Nice, thanks for the write up Manny.

Guys, this is totally minor but one thing I'd love changed is crouch dash treated like a special move, having a sound effect and a speck of dust coming out from feet. The way they did it for Kaz in SFxT was so satisfying to use and look. Very cool and aggressive. Today playing PS All-Stars I noticed they did the same with Hei. His crouch dash has this quick dash dust effect and "SHOO! SHOO!" sfx.

It's unimportant detail, but I'd really love if they added it in T7. The silent sliding is not doing it for me anymore.

That would get annoying real fast considering how fast you can do it.

GrayFoxPL

That would get annoying real fast considering how fast you can do it.

Didn't get in SFxT. Not for me anyway. It's not something intrusive but adds more character.

I can't look at this and not cringe a little anymore.

I will never have fast crouch dash anyway so even having this simple effect by doing double crouch dash would be way more satisfying for me.

GrayFoxPL

Guys random ass question:

How the hell do you make Hei's Broken Toy throw to come out in Tag 2?

It's qcf+1 but the input makes instant ws1 to come out. I swear this is non issue in eg. DR but I can't get it even once in tag 2. What the hell is with this input now?

av2k

Guys random ass question:

How the hell do you make Hei's Broken Toy throw to come out in Tag 2?

It's qcf+1 but the input makes instant ws1 to come out. I swear this is non issue in eg. DR but I can't get it even once in tag 2. What the hell is with this input now?

I think the new command is qcf+1+3 now :)

GrayFoxPL

I think the new command is qcf+1+3 now :)

Whaaaaaat?

OMG

Edit:
Checked.

My face:
ib04xcPh7x0Pnl.jpg

What I've been doing. Facepalm.

Thanks man.

Tekken team stop changing commands!

Dereck

I guess the timing is appropriate for this, guys, post links to videos of you playing in tournaments, if applicable. I've seen one from AAK and Sayah but it's been awhile.

Very nice play. Exciting match.

Some new interview with Harada.

About Catalina:

Hype for Catalina going dooooooooooooooooooown.

I hope she's not THAT brainless.

Yeah, I really hope not. I do not like it when you need to be a rocket scientist or have a PHD in martial arts with one character just to pull out some remotely impressive combos, but can effortlessly button mash solid combos with another one without even knowing a thing about the game. Well, they are trying to appeal to the casuals more who do not particularly care for fighting games, so I am a little concerned in what direction they are going in, especially with the new characters. We'll see.

No invincibles is good news imo. Even though they are easy to punish, they could probably get annoying since they are so abused by newbies and casuals.

Well Hwoarang was really mash heavy until T6. I doubt she'll be too brainless and I wouldn't get to upset about the ability of better you're "better" than beating you because they can mash easily.

Invincibles makes the game way too defense oriented and its already a defensive game anyways. Forget what casuals players can do, think of what "better" players can do.

Sayah

I guess the timing is appropriate for this, guys, post links to videos of you playing in tournaments, if applicable. I've seen one from AAK and Sayah but it's been awhile.

I don't know if I can even find the video for when I was at Apex.
I played very terribly at Apex so I don't want to post mines anyway. Nobody else post it here either. >_>

Plus, Kadey made fun of my hair. :lol. It was a windy day damn.

The tourney nerves in addition to the lack of (or me not knowing that I could use) button binding really messed things ups. I even got a poison mist but messed up the launcher all b/c of no button binding. lol.

Apex pretty much forced to me to go back to playing w/out shoulder buttons since that really spoiled me. Current day, I would feel pretty comfortable w/out using shoulder buttons.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
That means niconico for the location tests. :(

Honestly, they never stream the location tests. So you'll be lucky to see footage out of it that isn't by phone/digi-cam. Just how it is :/

Man. I am OLD. I haven't played competitive (in tournament) TEKKEN in a long time. lol. So sorry I don't really have TTT2 videos... I have videos of me playing online but that's... online.

MarkMan vs AlexMan (non-tournament) - TTT2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMH3e6v7-as

MrNAPS vs MarkMan - T6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX8k-o06Zks

MarkMan vs tongbal.LOVE (team tournament) - T6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA7l6afir4U (starts at 10:00 in)

Only ever participated in two tournaments, one for Soul Calibur 2 like 9-10 years ago (went 1-2, lost to the grand champ!) and the GAF TTT2 tournament a while back. Those videos I still have uploaded.

Today I happened to watch my 2012 and early 2013 replays I kept just to remember how bad I was. Never throughout the process of playing this have I considered myself a masher, but I really can't mentally understand what I was doing back then lol. I think it was "do stuff, see if it works, if it does do it some more". 25% win ratio indeed. I think it took about 6-8 months for me to really understand the game.

I actually won a tournament in Tekken 3 with Nina and my brother and I ended up in the finals somehow. It was a close match with my brother's Law attempting to decimate me with a plethora of 10 hit combos lol. Won some cash and I think a game or something. It was an exciting and memorable experience. Unfortunately, I didn't record anything or even take any pictures. I'm not even sure if Youtube was out then lol.

AllenShrz

FUCK.....FUUUUUUUCK!

I cant wait for Friday and play some Tekken 7.

TT2 is easily my most played game (not counting PC games) that I have played in the last 5 years..... and Im not even good at it.

Goddamn, I am so excited for Tekken 7 news this weekend!!!!

Oh, and about tournament memories. I played in a bunch of SC stuff. I think i have been on stream on IE battlegrounds for SC5, but those archives are long gone I think.

My worst tekken tourny moment was the TTT1 national qualifiers at SHGL. It was 64 man cap, but there was multiple people wanting the last spots (I showed up late). We had to play these play in brackets, lol. I totally choked. I got a hop kick in, and just did a couple jabs. And I just stood over them, and they woke up kick and killed me. I was very embarrassing, haha.

AAK

^^
Dang you're from Socal? That's cool! And there's so many people here that went to tournaments! I never knew haha.

And I guess you've all seen my tournie matches where I simply play my Hwoarang vortex + Julia FC mixup shenanigans all day on everyone.

Also, I guess if no one else has plans to, I guess I'll make another thread on the Gaming DIscussion forum concentrating on all the Location Test information that seep through.

sasuke_91

Can't wait for the streams. I've never been so excited for a new Tekken :D

Eid is on Saturday, so I won't make it to the tourney. I talked to my friend though and we agreed on one thing: Next year, when we've improved a lot more on this game, we'll go to a bigger tournament in Germany. Until then I'll work on my character knowledge and punishing. Both of them suck :p
My execution is not bad, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Soo... my Lee feels kinda lonely. Who should he be paired up with? I feel the urge of learning a new character^^
I think Feng looks interesting. Is he easy to play? I don't want hard characters anymore. Doomshine, what would you say?

Doomshine

Soo... my Lee feels kinda lonely. Who should he be paired up with? I feel the urge of learning a new character^^
I think Feng looks interesting. Is he easy to play? I don't want hard characters anymore. Doomshine, what would you say?

Feng is very easy to play. Easy combos and execution, the hardest thing execution-wise would be doing his iws+1 from crouch dash, but that's not hard at all.

His hopkick is also not the best in terms of range so you might miss some punishers that you are used to.

AAK

The one move that gives me the most trouble is by far qcf+1+2. I know it's very easily sidesteppable but the second I am exposed and I have to block this move I'm almost always terrified of what I can do after since he's at +4 and I'm in a crouched position.

Other things:

u/b+2 - only punishable by Jack, has a ridiculous sidestep, and leaves Feng at +9!

Shoulder - One of the best whiff punishers in the game when you consider the execution.

SS+4 - This at the wall gives him a free combo (UBER CHEAP)

d/f+3+4 - Safe, Mid-hitting, Homing move with RIDICULOUS RANGE giving a free knockdown

His lows are so damn good

And let's not forget he has a 12 frame SAFE MID! That crazy. Yoshi and Ling have faster mids but at least those are punishable haha.

Sayah

Honestly, they never stream the location tests. So you'll be lucky to see footage out of it that isn't by phone/digi-cam. Just how it is :/

I thought they made some announcement saying officially they would be streaming through niconico? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Manbig

The one move that gives me the most trouble is by far qcf+1+2. I know it's very easily sidesteppable but the second I am exposed and I have to block this move I'm almost always terrified of what I can do after since he's at +4 and I'm in a crouched position.

Other things:

u/b+2 - only punishable by Jack, has a ridiculous sidestep, and leaves Feng at +9!

Shoulder - One of the best whiff punishers in the game when you consider the execution.

d/f+3+4 - Safe, Mid-hitting, Homing move with RIDICULOUS RANGE giving a free knockdown

And let's not forget he has a 12 frame SAFE MID! That crazy. Yoshi and Ling have faster mids but at least those are punishable haha.

Yoshi, Dragunov, Wang, and Jin also have safe 12f mids. More characters probably do too.

Other things:

ss+4 actually launches in the open, but you need to be close. People use it at the wall often because you can mix it up with ss+1+2 for wall splat (yeah, super cheap).

I was trying to think what that 12 frame mid could be (I know d/f+1 is 14). But wow, b+4? I had no idea that move was faster than d/f+1 AND only -9 on block. I need to use that more often.

No character in the game should be able to get a full combo from a launcher that traded a hit.

Yeah, I always feel ripped off when that happens.

GrayFoxPL

I had a dream about upcoming T7 test. It was 3d arena type game where you look from above and run around with analogue stick. Characters had like 3 moves and graphics from T4.

The horror. :(

sasuke_91

Feng is very easy to play. Easy combos and execution, the hardest thing execution-wise would be doing his iws+1 from crouch dash, but that's not hard at all.

His hopkick is also not the best in terms of range so you might miss some punishers that you are used to.

I'm not used to punish with hopkicks. Hwoarang and Steve don't have a 15f hopkick... Steve doesn't even have a 15f launcher (only df2 on CH).

Doing f3,4 and shoulder with Feng was so good that I had to stop playing him because that's all I want to do when I use him. :)

Haha you really like your shoulders, don't you :p

Other things:

His lows give me so much trouble when I play against him :D
He sounds like an easy character with a lot of abusable moves. I just checked his frame data and most of his moves are unsafe. Seems like that's what Namco needed to do to balance out his cheapness :p

AAK

Did NOT know about Wang's and Jin's 12f mid. Which mid does Drag have that's 12f? And yeah, I forgot about Yoshi's d/f+4 too. They're still super good tools. I dunno why but Feng's b+4 just gives me the most trouble out of all of theirs. I guess maybe (not sure) Feng's b+4 tracks better then the other moves in that list?

Can't believe I've been playing Tekken for over half my life and I still don't understand frame data..

I just try to learn my character's best punishers for 10, 13 and 15 frames respectively. It's usually easy to tell which moves are punishable just from personal experience, watching other people play and in-game feedback (block stun etc.).

Then it's just a matter of figuring out which of your main 3 punishers is most appropriate through trial and error (and some logic--that big ass low sweep is obviously very unsafe on block).

Where it gets messy is when people start spamming pokes and taking advantage of your lack of knowledge.

Did NOT know about Wang's and Jin's 12f mid. Which mid does Drag have that's 12f? And yeah, I forgot about Yoshi's d/f+4 too. They're still super good tools. I dunno why but Feng's b+4 just gives me the most trouble out of all of theirs. I guess maybe (not sure) Feng's b+4 tracks better then the other moves in that list?

d/f+4. Great range on it too.

Top Bottom