• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

Can't believe I've been playing Tekken for over half my life and I still don't understand frame data..
Lol. I'm in the same boat. I don't have anything memorized. Just know from experience how to punish what. And if I'm unsure, then I'll just use the generic 1,2 punier.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I thought they made some announcement saying officially they would be streaming through niconico? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I just saw it. I'm glad they got that deal done <3_<3

Now I am happy I won't be there. I'd rather be watching as that's probably what I'd be doing most of the time LOL.

Rheon

Lol. I'm in the same boat. I don't have anything memorized. Just know from experience how to punish what. And if I'm unsure, then I'll just use the generic 1,2 punier.

Yeah I'm the same. I have a fair idea of what moves are quicker than others but when it comes to all the 'f' stuff, I'm lost lol.

---

Kinda OT but I thought this was funny.

MLttst5.png

sasuke_91

Can't believe I've been playing Tekken for over half my life and I still don't understand frame data..

I got into this recently. You just have to remember that every move that leaves you at more than 10 frames of disadvantage is unsafe and punishable unless it has some pushback or anything. So everything that is -10 frames or worse on block is punishable. The hard part is learning everyone's respective punishable moves... or duckable/steppable strings :/

Good games GrayFoxPL. Great matches and a really long session today! We haven't been playing in quite some time, so those fights felt refreshing :D
That Kuma/Hei team... I have no idea what Kuma is doing. Whenever he's on all fours I know I'm fucked. Feels like Xiaoyu's AoP stance^^
Bryan/Yoshi is a great match-up. They hate each other in the story, but they seem to make a pretty good team. Those snake edges came really unexpected btw. Most of them were counterhits.
Remember what I said about Hwoarang's RFS b+3? I've never been launched for it by anyone. Most people even miss to punish that move or I only eat jabs. I think I won't be that careful with the move anymore :p

Manbig

Did NOT know about Wang's and Jin's 12f mid. Which mid does Drag have that's 12f? And yeah, I forgot about Yoshi's d/f+4 too. They're still super good tools. I dunno why but Feng's b+4 just gives me the most trouble out of all of theirs. I guess maybe (not sure) Feng's b+4 tracks better then the other moves in that list?

Jin's is f3 and Dragunov's is d/f4. I forget the input for Wang's, but I know that it's a string where the second hit is also mid and safe on block. I'm pretty sure just about all of these don't track as well as Feng's though. I also think Feng's is better on block, but I might just be pulling that out of my ass.

Doomshine

Jin's is f3 and Dragunov's is d/f4. I forget the input for Wang's, but I know that it's a string where the second hit is also mid and safe on block. I'm pretty sure just about all of these don't track as well as Feng's though. I also think Feng's is better on block, but I might just be pulling that out of my ass.

Wang's is df+4,1

GrayFoxPL

Kinda OT but I thought this was funny.

MLttst5.png

Lol Boon.

I got into this recently. You just have to remember that every move that leaves you at more than 10 frames of disadvantage is unsafe and punishable unless it has some pushback or anything. So everything that is -10 frames or worse on block is punishable. The hard part is learning everyone's respective punishable moves... or duckable/steppable strings :/

Good games GrayFoxPL. Great matches and a really long session today! We haven't been playing in quite some time, so those fights felt refreshing :D
That Kuma/Hei team... I have no idea what Kuma is doing. Whenever he's on all fours I know I'm fucked. Feels like Xiaoyu's AoP stance^^
Bryan/Yoshi is a great match-up. They hate each other in the story, but they seem to make a pretty good team. Those snake edges came really unexpected btw. Most of them were counterhits.
Remember what I said about Hwoarang's RFS b+3? I've never been launched for it by anyone. Most people even miss to punish that move or I only eat jabs. I think I won't be that careful with the move anymore :p

Lately I noticed frame data is often deceiving. The pushback on block is huge factor.
Not everyone has that Mach Punch for quick long range punish. Also moves that force crouch on block mean you are somewhat forced to use ws punish and not everyone has kaz's ws+2, Steve's ws+1,2 etc. Sometimes best you can do is poor generic ws+4. Unless you are crouch canceling master.
Yeah so you really have to tailor frame data to the character you play or disappointment happens.

Yeah, great games Sasuke.
I gotta stop using lows on you. What is this? 8 on 10 lows blocked. Heihachi becoming useless, hellsweeps blocked, db+2 blocked(btw this is -18 wut). Picked Jin, df+1,4 second hit ducked. "Must've been accident." No, every time! "I knew they should've left old mid,mid version..." df1,4,4 doesn't work too because you are crouching only a short time. Jin, go home, you are predictabo!

I felt like I'm playing someone else. You leveled up hard.

Also Steve's b+1 is... something's wrong. Why this counter hits at frame disadvantage.
There was a moment where you tagged out Hwo so I went, I think, with Jin's f+4 to hit upcoming Steve. Literally the kick was few frames from connecting and I still got b+1 in the face.
Blew my mind. How, how?

b1 transcends frame data, lol.

Edit:
Did you like Hei's Headbut Carnival? :D

Wanted it to be hilarious XD.

Rheon

Ohhh it's not as difficult as I imagined then. It goes with what I've taught myself.

sasuke_91

Yeah, great games Sasuke.
I gotta stop using lows on you. What is this? 8 on 10 lows blocked. Heihachi becoming useless, hellsweeps blocked, db+2 blocked(btw this is -18 wut). Picked Jin, df+1,4 second hit ducked. "Must've been accident." No, every time! "I knew they should've left old mid,mid version..." df1,4,4 doesn't work too because you are crouching only a short time. Jin, go home, you are predictabo!

I felt like I'm playing someone else. You leveled up hard.

Thank you. This comes from playing a lot of ranked lately, especially with Jin. I try to predict my opponent's next attack in certain situations. You kinda go into matrix mode after some time^^
Heihachi's db+2 is a bit easier to block because he shouts "Ashi" before hitting. The funny thing is, "ashi" means "leg", so he actually tells me that he's gonna hit low :p

Also Steve's b+1 is... something's wrong. Why this counter hits at frame disadvantage.
There was a moment where you tagged out Hwo so I went, I think, with Jin's f+4 to hit upcoming Steve. Literally the kick was few frames from connecting and I still got b+1 in the face.
Blew my mind. How, how?

b1 transcends frame data, lol.

Yeah, b+1 hits way more often than it should. I don't know of any crushing properties, but if there are, that move is definitely overpowered^^

Edit:
Did you like Hei's Headbut Carnival? :D

Wanted it to be hilarious XD.

You mean those reversals? I don't remember if I was mashing 1 or 2, but I was like "I got him!", but there comes another reversal from you... or did you grab me again? Those Kuma/Heihachi matches were hilarious in general, like when I was lying on the ground trying to tech (into the wall like the genius I am) and you just smashed me into the ground again with Kuma. I was facepalming and laughing at the same time :D

GrayFoxPL

Thank you. This comes from playing a lot of ranked lately, especially with Jin. I try to predict my opponent's next attack in certain situations. You kinda go into matrix mode after some time^^
Heihachi's db+2 is a bit easier to block because he shouts "Ashi" before hitting. The funny thing is, "ashi" means "leg", so he actually tells me that he's gonna hit low :p

Yeah, b+1 hits way more often than it should. I don't know of any crushing properties, but if there are, that move is definitely overpowered^^

You mean those reversals? I don't remember if I was mashing 1 or 2, but I was like "I got him!", but there comes another reversal from you... or did you grab me again? Those Kuma/Heihachi matches were hilarious in general, like when I was lying on the ground trying to tech (into the wall like the genius I am) and you just smashed me into the ground again with Kuma. I was facepalming and laughing at the same time :D

What? Heihachi says "leg" for db+2?! Mind blown! Hei, you old fool, don't betray your strategies.

Yeah, you definitely were in matrix mode. Ducking random highs on reaction, blocking all lows, if you start sidestepping all mids, I'm calling quits. Gonna go and live in the forest with bears.

Yeah Kuma and Hei are funny together. But I must say Kuma is the most difficult character I used. I got Hei demoted hard and lost many matches because of the bear. You have to have a specific mindset to play this character that I don't have. His frames are terrible, his legs have zero reach. You have super high risk and random reward. You literally have to troll your opponent to death with stance, rolls and unblockables. I was watching his videos and more then 50% of his gameplay is setting opponent to let him eat unblockable.
There's this easy setup: db+4(bear sweep), ws,4 and instantly b+1+2. Opponent techrolls and gets hit by unblockable. I did it 3 or 4 times on you and it whiffed. Every time. What am I doing wrong? It's like it's hitting too late and to linear. On youtube even warriors get caught in this.

I need to figure Kuma out.

I need to think like a bear, feel like a bear, act like a bear and eat like a bear!

Please advanced next gen fur rendering for Kuma in T7!

Headbutt Carnival is Hei's ff+1+4 special throw, you can reverse it with 1 and 2 and I can reverse it back, then you can. Until one of us is out of health :D.

Trivia: This throw works only on males....

...and Leo.

Edit:
I forgot to add. That Kuma's 1+2,1+2,1+2 has some weird property. When done at wall to grounded opponent it doesn't let him escape. Massive stun and spike on last hit. I think toe kick d+3 and tag crash may be option to get out. Rolling won't work.

sasuke_91

What? Heihachi says "leg" for db+2?! Mind blown! Hei, you old fool, don't betray your strategies.

This is just from what I understand. I don't know if he really says "ashi" (can't imagine anything else) and you know Japanese... one word, 5 different meanings, only distinguishable by their Kanji.
First time I heard him I was like "wait... doesn't ashi mean leg? And he's hitting his legs, lol". I should have added that.

Yeah, you definitely were in matrix mode. Ducking random highs on reaction, blocking all lows, if you start sidestepping all mids, I'm calling quits. Gonna go and live in the forest with bears.

You can be relieved. My stepping sucks really hard. I don't even try because I know I'll fail... I should try and sidestep more^^
No need to go live in the forest... for now :)

Yeah Kuma and Hei are funny together. But I must say Kuma is the most difficult character I used. I got Hei demoted hard and lost many matches because of the bear. You have to have a specific mindset to play this character that I don't have. His frames are terrible, his legs have zero reach. You have super high risk and random reward. You literally have to troll your opponent to death with stance, rolls and unblockables. I was watching his videos and more then 50% of his gameplay is setting opponent to let him eat unblockable.
There's this easy setup: db+4(bear sweep), ws,4 and instantly b+1+2. Opponent techrolls and gets hit by unblockable. I did it 3 or 4 times on you and it whiffed. Every time. What am I doing wrong? It's like it's hitting too late and to linear. On youtube even warriors get caught in this.

This can only mean that I have surpassed Warriors a long time ago. Orange ranks here I come!
But yeah, bears are weird and I know I'll never play them...

I need to figure Kuma out.

I need to think like a bear, feel like a bear, act like a bear and eat like a bear!

Please advanced next gen fur rendering for Kuma in T7!

Headbutt Carnival is Hei's ff+1+4 special throw, you can reverse it with 1 and 2 and I can reverse it back, then you can. Until one of us is out of health :D.

Trivia: This throw works only on males....

...and Leo.

Edit:
I forgot to add. That Kuma's 1+2,1+2,1+2 has some weird property. When done at wall to grounded opponent it doesn't let him escape. Massive stun and spike on last hit. I think toe kick d+3 and tag crash may be option to get out. Rolling won't work.
You have to EAT a bear.

We should have continued headbutting each other until one dies. And what the hell? Leo? Does this... person... choose gender according to the situation?

And that 1+2,1+2,1+2 just went from hilarious to frightening^^

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, it's funny.

I think every character in T6 "thinks" Leo is a guy. From what I understand she's undercover.

She has bikini only in Tag2 but since it's not canon, nobody saw that.

Wonder if Heihachi still will be headbutting her like she's a dude in T7.

I'd laugh if in T7 they uncover that there are actually Twin Leo's - Eleonore and Leonardo.

Dereck

Tekken 7's character models look like Soul Calibur V models.

The animations are doing this thing I was talking about with a buddy. I mentioned that this current generation is doing a thing where, the character models seem weighty. It is almost as if game developers are trying to make people seem even more real by making it seem like they are actual, moving, flesh and bones. You can see some of this in Infamous Second Son, Assassin's Creed Unity, or even FFXV. Even though the characters are a little slower, they seem like actual living, moving people.

Sayah

My comments on Tekken 7 so far:

Pros:

1. Graphics/visual design/character modeling is all really good. I think the game looks really beautiful. And if it's really running at 50% power, I look forward to seeing how much better it'll be in the future.

2. I love the sparks and the particle effects. Tekken is the best fighter when it comes to actually getting the "feel" of being hit hard. The sparks take it to a whole other level.

3. Ugly red smudges are gone. AWESOME!

Cons:

1. I was really hoping for a Tekken 4-style design change for the characters but that clearly hasn't happened. Alternatively, I guess we'll still have the 2P costumes and whichever characters end up getting an extra third costume.

2. Bound likely removed. I really do not like combo length in TR and judging from gameplay and impressions, Tekken 7 is more akin to TR than it is to Tekken 6. I'm kind of unhappy with that.

Unsure/Indifferent:

1. New rageart system. This could be good or bad. But I'm leaning towards good. The Ultra-type moves look really good.

2. New power move system. Again, need more gameplay analysis to be able to judge this.

3. Backdash nerf. There were framerate issues so I can't be sure how much they really changed the backdash.

4. Character roster limit: I would have preferred as many characters as possible. But I also understand people don't want to learn a lot of matchups and a big roster can be a hindrance for getting certain people interested in the game. Basically, if Nina and Anna are both in, I'll be happy. However, I'll probably be using a new character as a main and the Williams as secondary or tertiary characters for Tekken 7. At least, that's what I plan on doing. Maybe I won't like any of the new characters and will just go back to Williams. Who knows.

Final impressions:
As Aris said on ATP Live, Tekken 7 still feels just like a Tekken game despite the addition of these new mechanics. It looks and plays like Tekken. It has that Tekken-ey feeling. So I'm happy in that regard.

I'm really looking forward to this title now. People wanted significant change. Here it is. If Tekken 7 ends up being a failure, I will just go back to TTT2 for my Tekken fix. Not even gonna be mad. They're experimenting with new stuff and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Dereck

Not trying to criticize the costumes yet because I really don't know, Paul looks different and so does Kazuya, it wouldn't make since to have only a handful of characters have costume changes, while others do not. It's really like your teacher asked you to turn in your project when you were only half way done, and your teacher is asking you why certain parts of the project or done, and while other parts aren't. I'll just wait.

Some Tekken 7 observations:

I have feeling that the graphics will be beautiful in the final version.

I do not mind the seemingly shorter combos. Bound gone? Honestly makes no difference to me.

Sort of minor, but it seems like the debris and damage from the ground doesn't disappear anymore when the characters land on it.

The HD footage looks good to me. The lighting is stunning.

The supers look interesting. Still not sure who I feel about supers being in Tekken. Not sure if this will make or break the game, but they might be fun to experience with. What really concerns me is, you could be applying pressure to an opponent and then out of nowhere comes a super move by inputting the motion while blocking or while getting it. I'm keeping an open mind though.

I'm fine with more T6/TR style combos. I didn't have a problem with bound, but

Obviously, the game is still early, but a thought that went through my mind that I never mentioned on here was, imagine if the game had framerate problems due to the Unreal Engine. I am sure it will be ironed out in the final version though, I just thought it was kind of funny.

I actually like Claudio's design and I think he will be a good addition to the roster. is he using ice or something?

I'm liking the sparks. maybe sparks will be a next generation thing with fighters. First Killer Instinct which I think always had the, then DOA5:LR and now Tekken7.

Katarina looks fun and I will definitely try her, but she looks like serious button masher lol. Low roundhouse and then mash away. Baek meets Rig meets Eddy meets Chun Li with those rapid kicks.

Asuka's face look....different. Reminds me of the TR faces. I prefer most of the TTT2 female faces to be honest. I think that Asuka whiff animation is new. I never noticed that with her. There could be heavy penalties for whiffing in Tekken 7 with certain powerful moves I am guessing.

Wondering(sort of doubting) if Armor King will show up in Tekken 7. It seemed like King had Armor King's forward 2,1 double punch move.

Sayah

OH MY GOD THIS SUPPOSED TO BE TOMORROW NOBODY TOLD ME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

At least it's nice waking up to a surprise. :p

I don't have work tomorrow so I've just been rewatching gameplay vids....and arguing in FGW.

It's 5 a.m. here now. I should go to sleep.

sasuke_91

OH MY GOD THIS SUPPOSED TO BE TOMORROW NOBODY TOLD ME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hahahaha same here :D

Just watched some videos. The style really reminds me of Soul Calibur, I like that.
Nobody was playing Xiaoyu, I wanted to see what Harada did to her (we saw TR face for Asuka :/).
Supers being in Tekken is weird. I don't know what to think of it. Edit: Ooh, so you use rage to activate supers. I'm cool with that.
Although bound has been removed, those combos looked really strong. In one match, Law was doing ff4,3 and it looked like a bound. He went with ff4,3 again and broke the ground.
Oh yeah, looks like multiple ground breaks are possible. And the opponent bounces really high when he hits the ground.
Asuka's whiff animation looked dangerous. Maybe they're adding some - frames to whiffed moves?
Slowmo animation when one only has few HP left. That's a clever idea. I don't know about rage being in this game (Edit: There is :p), but this slowmo thing could be a nice addition.

Overall, this really looks like a Tekken I want to play. Can't wait for the game to release... on arcades... so we can play it one year after that :/

Pachimari

So the game's visuals are at 60%.

It have no character lighting now and they'll add skin shaders and refine textures.

I would like if they add the Revolution faces to all the characters. If not, then no big deal.

Rheon

Is it just me or does everyone look more.. cartoony?
I really hope Asuka and Xiaoyu don't keep their current TR anime faces.

And Claudio legit looks like someone straight out of SC5.

GrayFoxPL

I agree that it looks Soul Calibury.

Soul Calibur team mustv'e been involved.

Claudio.

Looks - Final Fantasy 8 Reject x Soul Calibur V

Fighting style - Miguel Advanced x Lars x Zafina - not bad.

On that ruins stage game gets slow motion, 30-50fps - Unreal Engine 4.

That "There's no invincibles in Tekken 7!" statement.

Yeah..so you introduced 2 mechanics that work like invincibles.

ijivwBZz9EDfW.gif

Supers! Ha!

I was afraid this will happen after SCV got supers.

They'll get old fast, real fast. They look like SFxTK supers copy, lite. Lars and Kazuya basically have the same supers like in SFxTK.

Armor moves. They are in green/blue.(Look green in this video.)

Paul's armor moves are b+1+2 and d+1+2.

Edit: Ignore me. Seems it's just b+1+2.

Nuclear explosion in Revolution look tiny in comparison to T7, hahah.
Yes, a bit too much, lol.

No bound, but there's kinda new air bound instead. The animation of Jin's ch electric wind hook fist is used. But it triggers in juggles, interesting.

Kazuya got TTT trench coat and everyone else wears old shit? Come on!

Rheon

Those hitsparks are beautiful and I love the way they bounce off the floor now, but they're a bit much.

Seems like the development team were having a little TOO much fun with UE4's particle system lol.

av2k

Love how Tekken 7 is so far. I don't understand why so many people are complaining though, it's obviously beta with a lot of reused assets but the new features look amazing and adds a lot of dynamic to the game that will hopefully draw new players.

Also.. you can tell that t7 is shaping up to get ready for Tekken vs Street fighter with a lot of 2d aspects.

and... RIP Jin/DJin

Love how Tekken 7 is so far. I don't understand why so many people are complaining though, it's obviously beta with a lot of reused assets but the new features look amazing and adds a lot of dynamic to the game that will hopefully draw new players.

Also.. you can tell that t7 is shaping up to get ready for Tekken vs Street fighter with a lot of 2d aspects.

and... RIP Jin/DJin

That's the point of a beta though. To hear people's complaints (and what they like as well) and how people feel anout things. They can weigh them as they fit and parse the feedback to some kind of conclusion. They are looking for feedback, good or bad. I would hope.

You want people to be dishonest about their feelings? People feel how they feel. I am sure the dev team will weigh everything as they see fit.

GrayFoxPL

and... RIP Jin/DJin

I think you know why they are complaining.

Invincible supers - 60% damage

Half invincibles.

This will obviously change, but yeah.

Or do you mean graphics whine in gaming thread?

Looks like unreal engine, Kaz has next gen physics coat though.

Dereck

I don't care about the gameplay as much, I was referring to the graphics, or rather, people's expectations always being skyhigh.

Top Bottom