• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

After watching the vids, I need to get one thing off my chest...

For all intents and purposes, I believe Bound is still in Tekken 7

Bound was a juggle extender where you could get a sort of a relaunch by using a specific ground spiking move during the juggle (just like in Virtua Fighter). But TTT2 still has something that retains the same function. The new juggle property has it's own relaunch where the opponent goes flying (like DJin's WS+2). You can see it right here with Leo's f,f+4,3 on the right screen of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhdkM2VBaPo#t=29

And after that Leo can dash forward and continue a juggle that wasn't possible pre-bound. This still gives the same function bound in T6 provided. And with this characters like Hwoarang can still end juggles with f,f+3 to finally have an okizeme game that they lacked before bound was introduced. (Although the lack of backroll relaunching still nerfs his oki massively).

I have to say, I LOVE this change to bound. It sends them away pretty far so it does nerf the ridiculous juggles that were previously possible, but it still relaunches them enough to an extent where the most important utilities off bound are still viable in bound. I think this new mechanic does indeed bring a little more variation in juggles compared to Tekken 6.

But there is 0 chance anything they've shown so far in Tekken 7 will be as fun as Tag Assault /magushipster

Another thing, is that I really like the slowdowns for the KO's. However, I'm not liking the slowdowns for random parts in the fight like Dragunov's f,f+3. It's looking a bit too obnoxious on the developer's part like screeming, "HEY! Look at that hit! Get HYPE GUYS!". But that is just my subjective opinion. It's disrupting the flow of the match and in my opinion depreciates the competitive integrity of Tekken. I sincerely hope Tekken 7 has something like a tournament mode that disables these slowdowns mid match the same way Dead or Alive 5 does.

EDIT:

As for the aesthetics... I just didn't want everything to feel so familiar. A new artstyle would have done wonders... but alas, hopefully other games like VF6 and hopefully SC6 deliver on those merits.

GrayFoxPL

Hmm... I think there are no long throw break animations , just "get off me" ones.

Seem to be bigger window, look kinda Revolution late.

GrayFoxPL

After watching the vids, I need to get one thing off my chest...

For all intents and purposes, I believe Bound is still in Tekken 7

Bound was a juggle extender where you could get a sort of a relaunch by using a specific ground spiking move during the juggle (just like in Virtua Fighter). But TTT2 still has something that retains the same function. The new juggle property has it's own relaunch where the opponent goes flying (like DJin's WS+2). You can see it right here with Leo's f,f+4,3 on the right screen of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhdkM2VBaPo#t=29

And after that Leo can dash forward and continue a juggle that wasn't possible pre-bound. This still gives the same function bound in T6 provided. And with this characters like Hwoarang can still end juggles with f,f+3 to finally have an okizeme game that they lacked before bound was introduced. (Although the lack of backroll relaunching still nerfs his oki massively).

I have to say, I LOVE this change to bound. It sends them away pretty far so it does nerf the ridiculous juggles that were previously possible, but it still relaunches them enough to an extent where the most important utilities off bound are still viable in bound. I think this new mechanic does indeed bring a little more variation in juggles compared to Tekken 6.

But there is 0 chance anything they've shown so far in Tekken 7 will be as fun as Tag Assault /magushipster

Another thing, is that I really like the slowdowns for the KO's. However, I'm not liking the slowdowns for random parts in the fight like Dragunov's f,f+3. It's looking a bit too obnoxious on the developer's part like screeming, "HEY! Look at that hit! Get HYPE GUYS!". But that is just my subjective opinion. It's disrupting the flow of the match and in my opinion depreciates the competitive integrity of Tekken. I sincerely hope Tekken 7 has something like a tournament mode that disables these slowdowns mid match the same way Dead or Alive 5 does.

EDIT:

As for the aesthetics... I just didn't want everything to feel so familiar. A new artstyle would have done wonders... but alas, hopefully other games like VF6 and hopefully SC6 deliver on those merits.

Yeah I posted about it. One of first things I noticed.

No bound, but there's kinda new air bound instead. The animation of Jin's ch electric wind hook fist is used. But it triggers in juggles, interesting.

Everyone has this "air bound". King's is df+2,1.

av2k

That's the point of a beta though. To hear people's complaints (and what they like as well) and how people feel anout things. They can weigh them as they fit and parse the feedback to some kind of conclusion. They are looking for feedback, good or bad. I would hope.

You want people to be dishonest about their feelings? People feel how they feel. I am sure the dev team will weigh everything as they see fit.

I don't want people to be dishonest about their feelings but I wish they wouldn't make snap judgments off of a shitty cam video but I guess people will complain regardless of whether a game is perfect or not.

I think you know why they are complaining.

Invincible supers - 60% damage

Half invincibles.

This will obviously change, but yeah.

Or do you mean graphics whine in gaming thread?

Looks like unreal engine, Kaz has next gen physics coat though.

As for invincible supers, of course it's going to be tweaked. However, if it isn't, I'll just use it to my advantage because that's what good players do. I would gladly have a little bit of randomness if it means new blood for our dying community. As for the graphics whining, I don't think it's fair because they're basing off of shitty cam video of a 50% build. No wonder Harada is pissed most of the time at fans who he can't seem to please. Oh well.

BTW.. I can't wait to run T7 off of my 2x 970 Nvidia video cards. (drools... )

AAK

Another personal opinion, I'm not a fan of the custcene ultras. I loved the sensation of doing a combo composed of all your manual inputs. I loved the malleability it provided. I loved how in TTT2 I could optimize juggles with Hwoarang by partnering him with Julia using her hip thrust to manually squeeze an extra RFF f+3 before the generic hunting hawks as a TA ender making every juggle feel a true sense of accomplishment. I know I will never get that sensation again when I know the max damage is always going to be some cutscene. The experience just feels slightly more shallow in my opinion when it's just some simple input like 1+2.

It is nitpicking again but with some of these good new additions in T7 I am also losing certain things that I love about this series.

GrayFoxPL

Another personal opinion, I'm not a fan of the custcene ultras. I loved the sensation of doing a combo composed of all your manual inputs. I loved the malleability it provided. I loved how in TTT2 I could optimize juggles with Hwoarang by partnering him with Julia using her hip thrust to manually squeeze an extra RFF f+3 before the generic hunting hawks as a TA ender making every juggle feel a true sense of accomplishment. I know I will never get that sensation again when I know the max damage is always going to be some cutscene. The experience just feels slightly more shallow in my opinion when it's just some simple input like 1+2.

It is nitpicking again but with some of these good new additions in T7 I am also losing certain things that I love about this series.

Me too, supers are shit. Just something to show noobs, and even they will be bored of them soon.

Just cut them out.

Looks good in my opinion.

I really like the new special effects. The hit sparks in TTT2 look quite unnoticeable by comparison.

The changes to the bound system are welcome as well. Seems much more old school now that there is much more juggling instead of bounding.

As for the rage arts and armored attacks, I have no problem with them experimenting with new mechanics for this game. The armored attacks do look sort of Revolution-esque but luckily by doing them you take the damage before your attack goes through, meaning you can't steal wins with it with a sliver of health left. The rage arts have the potential to be really cool if they we don't see them every single round.

Hopefully they change up some of the models and give new alternate costumes. Having the same defaults as TTT2 would be kind of disappointing.

Dereck

This is the air bound?

kFFU2Bf.gif

GrayFoxPL

To be honest Supers in SCV were kinda fast, like Siegfried one. If they sped up T7 ones to that speed at least we wont have that "anime time" feel.

Hopefully they change up some of the models and give new alternate costumes. Having the same defaults as TTT2 would be kind of disappointing.

This is my gripe. Everyone just looks the same. Why not give characters new look, oh wait Harada wants "iconic look" like in Street Fighter :p.

I can bet everything that if they gave every character new outfit people would be praising the graphics. Because they look at eg Steve and think: "Oh he looks just like in TTT2... and Tekken 6 .... and Tekken 5!"

Doesn't matter if he has 2 million more polygons and Ultra HD textures.

Give him new shirt, new pants, new haircut and people be like "This shit looks amazing."

All hope in P2, P3 costumes.

Fuck the customs they were awful quality in Tag2.

Apart of looks what also dissapoints me right now that movesets and styles remain unchanged apart of few new moves so far. I was hoping for much bigger changes. Rebuild characters. Shitty Alisa still looks and moves like shitty Alisa :p.
Maybe they still will change some movesets?

Sayah

I'm open to all the changes they've made as long as it's not Tekken Revolution 2.0.

I'm happier to see that there is a potential replacement for bound. I think it's a good way to balance off both the camp that wants bound removed and the other camp that doesn't.

av2k

Ohhh.. I just have an idea, what if you're allowed to spend your rage the way you want it?

A) Damage - Normal rage damage at 20% boost. Lasts for 10 seconds.
B) Defense - Heal the last damage you were hit by.. ie: last hit of the combo you were juggled by or attack up to 15% of your entire health bar
C) Super move - A super invincible move that takes off 25-30% health but super unsafe

It would allow for some interesting game play I think.

GrayFoxPL

I'm open to all the changes they've made as long as it's not Tekken Revolution 2.0.

I'm happier to see that there is a potential replacement for bound. I think it's a good way to balance off both the camp that wants bound removed and the other camp that doesn't.

Oh yeah!

I like the air bound more already. I like the slomo on power hits.

Not sure about slomo on "almost the end" hits.

Not sure about mega sparks.

Don't like:

Supers

Armor

Same outfits

AAK

Ohhh.. I just have an idea, what if you're allowed to spend your rage the way you want it?

B) Defense - Heal the last damage you were hit by.. ie: last hit of the combo you were juggled by or attack up to 15% of your entire health bar
C) Super move - A super invincible move that takes off 25-30% health but super unsafe

I'd really like that.

GrayFoxPL

I'd buy this.

Pachimari

I still don't understand the Armor attacks? What are they called in Tekken?

I'm almost finished moving into my new apartment and then I'm gonna get seriously into my Tekken practice again.

Pachimari

Are they like Revolution's invisible attacks? How can I tell?

Edit:
So they absorb the opposition's damage and applies it to your attacks, while you take a little damage as well?

Do we have an example in a gif or video?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I don't know about you guys. But these new things will interest NEW Tekken players/adopters, and if it brings in a huge amount of people. I'm all for it.

We haven't even seen the crazy/awesome application of supers yet. Or that of armor. We will this weekend, trust me. :D

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Also for the armor moves/focus attack stuff. They will absorb most mids/highs. They do not absorb lows (they get interrupted). Also the damage they absorb, cannot be recovered like Focus Attack.

sasuke_91

I guess moves that bounded before now leave your opponent in a disadvantageous position on the ground or breaks it.
I like the new air bound. I can imagine that Hwoarang's RFS f3,4 air bounds now, which would make his combos look even cooler :D

And I agree, as long as this will make it sell more copies, I'm in for everything.

Sayah

I would like this.

I don't know about you guys. But these new things will interest NEW Tekken players/adopters, and if it brings in a huge amount of people. I'm all for it.

We haven't even seen the crazy/awesome application of supers yet. Or that of armor. We will this weekend, trust me. :D

I agree. I think the changes they've made are going to attract new players and help garner more interest in the title. Especially if it's releasing on PC, there could be a whole new market for this. Tekken 7 very well might be the first 3D fighting game of its kind on the PC.

GrayFoxPL

Paul has this double wide swing that air bounds.

I think it's b+1,2 because that move seems to be gone now.

Can't find that vid where it's clearly shown.

Sayah

Lili's d, 2,2,3 string can do that flop too? Damn.

Yeah, I don't think anyone that wanted bound in needs to be worried. These are effectively the new replacement for doing extended juggles. There's one con from my list I can cross off. This is a good balance imo. It's not the same as a T6/TTT2 bound (obviously). But it leaves room for doing those one-two extra hits that you want. Even people that wanted bound removed can now rest assured that combos are still shorter and end faster.

I"m liking this.

This airbound's for Alisa.

f+4?

Nice finds Fox.

That is just 4 by itself, no f.

Sayah

I agree with AAK at the same time, though. The new flop is not going to be the same as or as innovative as the Tag Assault when it comes to combos. But I'm looking forward to getting back to 1v1 play regardless.

Top Bottom