• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

First punish was in open ws+2 with DJ, but the second was side wall splat and shit and I didn't know wall stuff with Devil Jin, everything was falling out. Got him to the damn rage anyway. Thought he'll definitely go for mid so I throw a jab but same time Snake Edge and 55% damage combo was too much. Lol.

I hate the walls in t6, tag2.
I'm fine with walls. :p

Though, it is visually awkward when you're being hit against an invisible wall. I hope Tekken 7 can fix that.....

Also, I like the stages in Tekken 6 for the most part. TTT2, on the other hand, is all over the place with its stage designs. Just from memory.

The good stages
:

Boat stage (visually breathtaking....fish flying everywhere)

Moonlit Wilderness (nice wall break positioning.....looks pretty)

Arena (lighting is really good on this stage)

Brazil (a beautiful forest that can transition into an underground lab....whats not to like)

Strategic Space (good because it has everything)

The bad stages
:

Philippines (terrible lighting.....hard to see......cars and background crowd look terrible)

Floats (the floats look ugly lol)

Magic show (the walls are so off on this stage.......so many angles. I noticed this while I was playing offline 1v1)

Love/hate

I love the background for the boss stage but the purple goo wasn't necessary. I still use this as my practice stage.

av2k

I am no longer a jr member... WOOHOO!

Edit: DOH! I'm still a jr member.

Is it 3 months or 300 posts? or both?

Edit 2: Oh, okay, 301 posts, woohoo!

sasuke_91

I am no longer a jr member... WOOHOO!

Edit: DOH! I'm still a jr member.

Is it 3 months or 300 posts? or both?

Edit 2: Oh, okay, 301 posts, woohoo!
So much confusion in just one post. You have outdone yourself, av :)
Jokes aside, congrats on becoming a member :D

Good games earlier boutdown. Beware of Leo's 1+2 grab when her back is at the wall ;)

AAK

Harada is definitely gonna be talking about Summer Lesson, I don't think they're even gonna mention consoles until the Arcade version comes out haha.

Also guys, let's start pesturing Harada to include this for T7!

Unless it's Tekken X Street Fighter console exclusive!!! /trollface

What separates me from other players for better or for worse, is that that thought process rarely enters my mind, because doing the hellsweep basically would not be an option. The reason? It's too risky, or no, I could get punished if it's blocked, but you, you think about doing it, or, you would probably do it. This is also why I lose matches, I am too stiff, too apprehensive to really do anything but your occasional minor low, and safe mids.

I'm not saying I should do more hellsweeps, I was just using that move as an example for whatever big boy low my character would have.

Honestly bro... to me the only thing that separates between me and you is just character knowledge and especially the gimmicks of every character. If you only knew which strings were mid, high or low, high along with the things that are launch punishable... I'm pretty sure you'd beat me like 7-3 in a FT10.

And then of coarse after that, is the detailed metagame you, Manny, and AV2k were discussing. And that's at a higher level where you're playing against someone that has a solid foundation about your character and you have a solid foundation of their character.... the place where Tekken can truly shine. :)

@ congrats to AV2K for the member status! and cool to see boutdown get tagged :)

Also, was some tense stuff today. Crazy drug dealer gone all maniac shooting a soldier at a gravesite and then proceeding to the capital city's parliament building? I live close to downtown Ottawa too, couldn't get home till 10 PM at night cause of the lockdown.

Sayah

Harada is definitely gonna be talking about Summer Lesson, I don't think they're even gonna mention consoles until the Arcade version comes out haha.

Unless it's Tekken X Street Fighter console exclusive!!! /trollface

Nah. It's 20th Anniversary for both PlayStation and Tekken. I'm gonna keep my hopes up this time.

I want that quality Tekken 7 footage.

Manbig

Also, was some tense stuff today. Crazy drug dealer gone all maniac shooting a soldier at a gravesite and then proceeding to the capital city's parliament building? I live close to downtown Ottawa too, couldn't get home till 10 PM at night cause of the lockdown.

Scary situation, but glad that it didn't effect you directly.

I just stayed up all night watching season 3 of Legend of Korra. My god did this show finally live up to the first series. I know this is unrelated, but it's 3 A.M and I have nothing better to do at the moment.

DEATH™

Scary situation, but glad that it didn't effect you directly.

I just stayed up all night watching season 3 of Legend of Korra. My god did this show finally live up to the first series. I know this is unrelated, but it's 3 A.M and I have nothing better to do at the moment.

About time someone in this thread mentions Korra...

Manbig

DEATH™;135583993 said:
About time someone in this thread mentions Korra...

The original series is among my top 5 favorite shows of all time. Korra season 1 was okay, but season 2 was weak as hell. I kind of fell off on the show for a while because of how weak season 2 was. Glad I managed to avoid spoilers this whole time though, because season 3 was freaking amazing.

Gambit61

The original series is among my top 5 favorite shows of all time. Korra season 1 was okay, but season 2 was weak as hell. I kind of fell off on the show for a while because of how weak season 2 was. Glad I managed to avoid spoilers this whole time though, because season 3 was freaking amazing.

I love Korra's current personal arc. I was so hyped when she woke up.

Edit: I keep forgetting the new season is Book 4 lol. Sasuke knows what I'm talking about. I guess its no coincidence that the character fights similarly to my T6 main lol.

sasuke_91

I'm not sure what everyone has against Season 2. I thought it was great^^
I agree though, Season 3 was better and reminded me of TLA's glorious times. I'm currently watching Season 4 and I already like ot because of just one character showing up :3

Have I already mentioned that I'd love for Capos to be cut out of Tekken 7? It's fun trolling some people Online with them, but they're a nightmare as an opponent!

sasuke_91

Nah capos are easy to deal with. You gotta be patient and keep them out of relax and handstand when given the opportunity.

When I use Jin I just spam b2,1. It floats them out of RLX stance, so satisfying.

Good games Doomshine. I really have to practice playing against Dragunov and Miguel. They were introduced in Tekken 6 and I still don't know what they're all about^^

Sayah

Both capos and Lei, you have to be really patient with. But they're easy to deal with imo once you know the matchup well.

Dereck

hWagBvA.gif

GrayFoxPL

Both capos and Lei, you have to be really patient with. But they're easy to deal with imo once you know the matchup well.

I find Lei much easier. It's a character that's screwed on block and in grounded stance he's pretty slow and readable. Mostly moves don't launch for full combo or are slow launchers. Capos with their sudden lunges from relax, full combos out of evasive lauchers are a pain.

But the real problem is not every character has tools to properly anwser capo bullshit that results in dull poking game with 2 weak moves that can hit them.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
My introduction to this hard hitting series was during the King of Iron Fist Tournament 3

T3: This game has a very special place in my heart. I spent many hours playing this game with my cousins and a close family friend, he was the 'cool guy' (first guy in our group to have a PS1) of the group, while I was the 'cute shy kid'.
-We both used Jin Kazama as our main and ended up developing a 'rivalry', he and I became close friends.
-I absolutely adored Jin, his character design and Mishima Ryu fighting style intrigued me.
-Everyone had their favourite character that represented them on some way:
Yoshimitsu: Quiet, mysterious and calm cousin.
Law: Crazy cousin who had a hilarious temper when I block punished his flip kicks.
Jin: Him and I
Gon: Little cousin ^^
I adored: The announcer, Jin, 60fps, character voices, kicking True Ogre's behind, K.O! and of course CHICKEN!
2f39938530_93019606_o2.jpg

TTT: Nostalgia filled euphoria, I first played this game when I came to New York 11 years ago with my American/Pakistani/Spanish cousin XD
-The graphics still look spectacular as I remember, I became obsessed with Devil/Angel, Jin, Kaz, Jun and Testujin of all characters. The tag mechanic gave this game a fun party element to it.
-TTT has my favourite box art in any game period, so simple yet elegant. Kaz reminded me so much of my 'cool guy' friend XD
-This ending scared the crap out of me as a kid.
-I also bought my first PS2 along with this game when I came back to Ireland.
2729865514_1.jpg

T4: This game man, so many memories from this game and I only rented it.
-Story? In a Tekken game?! I absolutely loved the aesthetics of this game. I started to like every character in the game, mainly due to everyone having a background. I especially liked Kazuya's, Jin's and Hwoarang's prologue.
-I love the artistic sketches the prologues have.
hwoarang-ps21.jpg
jin-ps22.jpg

-Let's not forget the best announcer in the Tekken series!
-T4 also has my favourite stage in a fighting game (Building: I really wanted this remade in TTT2 but the Saudi Arabia stage + Tekken tuning made it pretty close ^^) and soundtrack that I still listen to this day.
I loved: the outfits (Kazuya's casual attire & Jin's Parka), the stages, intro poses, announcer's/ narrator's voices, character endings, the overall 'realistic' aesthetic Tekken 4 was going for. I wonder what direction the series would've went had Namco patched Tekken 4. I think they that could have fixed almost everything save the uneven terrain.
500px-Jin_Kazama_-_Tekken_4_Outfits_Pic_2.jpg
kazuya28.jpg

T5: I played this with the same friend that played T3. My memory of this game was blurred with T4, I thought they where the same game for some odd reason.
-Can't really recall anything except: Devil Within mode.
-First time seeing Devil Jin playable and loved that.

T6: At this point in my life, our group split into different directions (college, school, fights), I felt really alone at this point on my life, I just transferred to a new school where everyone was new to one another.
I stumbled upon this game in a GAME store during the winter, the box art caught my eye. The game looked like it had a hardcore vibe to it.
2_165047-520x597.jpeg

-I randomly started playing with every character but one really stuck out to me, Lars. I really liked the animation of blue bolt and his SE DE moves.
-I moved through the move list and practiced every move, then I noticed the sample combos, I realised that this game had a juggle system.
-I dropped by a local game store during my lunch break, they had T6 set up on a PS3 and I beat everyone's ass, I loved the competitive nature of it (we weren't very good, I only won because of the juggles). Oh and 'LET ME GO FROM THE AIR!' X'D
-I was really disappointed with the story, Lars and Jin very very flat and dull. I detested some of the newer characters such as Alisa and Bob. I expected campaign mode to be an evolved version of Tekken Force mode.
Lars' P2 gave me assailant vibes, wouldn't have guessed he was a Mishima. Also love his custom gauntlets.
F3ca19E.png
20100916095618585481.jpg

I wanted to learn more so I stumbled upon a T6 tutorial on Lars by LUYG on youtube. I didn't realise this game had so much thought and detail put into it, never heard of okizeme or the crush system. I had a slight grasp on the spacing game but was unaware of BDC.
It was cringy to watch and I felt like a massive nerd for doing it but I really liked the detailed explanation and appreciated it. I also really liked watching MYK play Lars in tournaments and I'd love to play against him someday, and Rip too.
I joined TZ and later on I just Gaf, and here I am playing TTT2 rocking college in NY with near perfect grades and looking forward to T7.

Sayah

My introduction to this hard hitting series was during the King of Iron Fist Tournament 3

T3: This game has a very special place in my heart. I spent many hours playing this game with my cousins and a close family friend, he was the 'cool guy' (first guy in our group to have a PS1) of the group, while I was the 'cute shy kid'.
-We both used Jin Kazama as our main and ended up developing a 'rivalry', he and I became close friends.
-I absolutely adored Jin, his character design and Mishima Ryu fighting style intrigued me.
Law: Crazy cousin who had a hilarious temper when I block punished his flip kicks.
I adored: The announcer, Jin, 60fps, character voices, kicking True Ogre's behind, K.O! and of course CHICKEN!

TTT: Nostalgia filled euphoria, I first played this game when I came to New York 11 years ago with my American/Pakistani/Spanish cousin XD
-The graphics still look spectacular as I remember, I became obsessed with Devil/Angel, Jin, Kaz, Jun and Testujin of all characters. The tag mechanic gave this game a fun party element to it.
-TTT has my favourite box art in any game period, so simple yet elegant. Kaz reminded me so much of my 'cool guy' friend XD
2729865514_1.jpg

-Story? In a Tekken game?! I absolutely loved the aesthetics of this game. I started to like every character in the game, mainly due to everyone having a background. I especially liked Kazuya's, Jin's and Hwoarang's prologue.
hwoarang-ps21.jpg
jin-ps22.jpg

-T4 also has my favourite stage in a fighting game (Building: I really wanted this remade in TTT2 but the Saudi Arabia stage + Tekken tuning made it pretty close ^^) and soundtrack that I still listen to this day.
I loved: the outfits (Kazuya's casual attire & Jin's Parka), the stages, intro poses, announcer's/ narrator's voices, character endings, the overall 'realistic' aesthetic Tekken 4 was going for. I wonder what direction the series would've went had Namco patched Tekken 4. I think they that could have fixed almost everything save the uneven terrain.
kazuya28.jpg

T5: I played this with the same friend that played T3. My memory of this game was blurred with T4, I thought they where the same game for some odd reason.

T6: At this point in my life, our group split into different directions (college, school, fights), I felt really alone at this point on my life, I just transferred to a new school where everyone was new to one another.
I stumbled upon this game in a GAME store during the winter, the box art caught my eye. The game looked like it had a hardcore vibe to it.
2_165047-520x597.jpeg

-I randomly started playing with every character but one really stuck out to me, Lars. I really liked the animation of blue bolt and his SE DE moves.
-I moved through the move list and practiced every move, then I noticed the sample combos, I realised that this game had a juggle system.
-I dropped by a local game store during my lunch break, they had T6 set up on a PS3 and I beat everyone's ass, I loved the competitive nature of it (we weren't very good, I only won because of the juggles). Oh and 'LET ME GO FROM THE AIR!' X'D
-I was really disappointed with the story, Lars and Jin very very flat and dull. I detested some of the newer characters such as Alisa and Bob. I expected campaign mode to be an evolved version of Tekken Force mode.
Lars' P2 gave me assailant vibes, wouldn't have guessed he was a Mishima. Also love his custom gauntlets.
F3ca19E.png
20100916095618585481.jpg

I wanted to learn more so I stumbled upon a T6 tutorial on Lars by LUYG on youtube. I didn't realise this game had so much thought and detail put into it, never heard of okizeme or the crush system. I had a slight grasp on the spacing game but was unaware of BDC.
It was cringy to watch and I felt like a massive nerd for doing it but I really liked the detailed explanation and appreciated it. I also really liked watching MYK play Lars in tournaments and I'd love to play against him someday, and Rip too.
I joined TZ and later on I just Gaf, and here I am playing TTT2 rocking college in NY with near perfect grades and looking forward to T7.

Another great read.

I like how you have descriptions. "Cool guy, cute shy kid, mysterious guy." lol.

Dereck

What is this opinion on a series like Tekken who is more straightforward in terms of, porting?

I think Tekken is one of the only fighting games I know that is not port happy, you could say Tekken 5/6, but those only had portable ports, not cross-gen ports.

Opinions?

What I'm getting at is that, Tekken has avoided cross-gen ports with the exception of TTT2.

EDIT: I just had a dream, that a used game store that I frequent actually got rid of their Tekken 5 arcade machine. The week after that, they got rid of their Tekken 4 and Tekken 6 machines. The week after that, I walked down there, and the store owner told me that every machine was removed besides Tekken 1-3. They had a Tekken 7 cabinet that was completely empty, and it was just a placeholder until the game dropped in America.

A week after that, every arcade machine was removed besides the Tekken 7 one. I walked in, and I said this, "why don't y'all just get a Gameboy Advance kiosk that is only able to play Tekken Advance, amirite?" That's not even really a funny joke, but everyone started dying laughing. After this happened, I started seeing people walk into the store, just to laugh at my joke. Harada and Michaeal Murray walked in, crying laughing, then basically, all of the best Tekken players started walking in with Gameboy Advances in their hand, with the Tekken Advance logo on the screen, then I woke up. This was 10 minutes ago.

sasuke_91

2729865514_1.jpg

hwoarang-ps21.jpg
jin-ps22.jpg

kazuya28.jpg

2_165047-520x597.jpeg

F3ca19E.png
20100916095618585481.jpg

Great read. Thanks for sharing. You don't have to feel nerdy for watching Tekken tutorials :p

What is this opinion on a series like Tekken who is more straightforward in terms of, porting?

I think Tekken is one of the only fighting games I know that is not port happy, you could say Tekken 5/6, but those only had portable ports, not cross-gen ports.

Opinions?

What I'm getting at is that, Tekken has avoided cross-gen ports with the exception of TTT2.

EDIT: I just had a dream, that a used game store that I frequent actually got rid of their Tekken 5 arcade machine. The week after that, they got rid of their Tekken 4 and Tekken 6 machines. The week after that, I walked down there, and the store owner told me that every machine was removed besides Tekken 1-3. They had a Tekken 7 cabinet that was completely empty, and it was just a placeholder until the game dropped in America.

A week after that, every arcade machine was removed besides the Tekken 7 one. I walked in, and I said this, "why don't y'all just get a Gameboy Advance kiosk that is only able to play Tekken Advance, amirite?" That's not even really a funny joke, but everyone started dying laughing. After this happened, I started seeing people walk into the store, just to laugh at my joke. Harada and Michaeal Murray walked in, crying laughing, then basically, all of the best Tekken players started walking in with Gameboy Advances in their hand, with the Tekken Advance logo on the screen, then I woke up. This was 10 minutes ago.

I was actually pretty surprised when Namco decided to port the game for Wii U, but I guess they won't do the same for T7. So, no cross-gen ports, not even a Wii U port. Just PS4/Xbone and PC maybe.

That dream was pretty crazy^^
But hey, you started a revolution. From this day on, everyone will be playing Tekken Advance, and only Tekken Advance.
By the way, we don't have any arcades in Germany. Not even one. I guess it would be pretty cool to meet up with some players in the arcade and play some Tekken.

Great read. Thanks for sharing. You don't have to feel nerdy for watching Tekken tutorials :p

I was actually pretty surprised when Namco decided to port the game for Wii U, but I guess they won't do the same for T7. So, no cross-gen ports, not even a Wii U port. Just PS4/Xbone and PC maybe.

That dream was pretty crazy^^
But hey, you started a revolution. From this day on, everyone will be playing Tekken Advance, and only Tekken Advance.
By the way, we don't have any arcades in Germany. Not even one. I guess it would be pretty cool to meet up with some players in the arcade and play some Tekken.

Huh? I was in one in Hamburg.

sasuke_91

Huh? I was in one in Hamburg.
Really? I thought they all died.
Germany has some weird youth protection law that would say that arcades are a kind of gambling. Because of that, arcades would only be allowed in casinos and they slowly died out.
I didn't know there were still arcades at some places. Maybe they will also get Tekken 7 when it comes out?^^

Really? I thought they all died.
Germany has some weird youth protection law that would say that arcades are a kind of gambling. Because of that, arcades would only be allowed in casinos and they slowly died out.
I didn't know there were still arcades at some places. Maybe they will also get Tekken 7 when it comes out?^^

Well, I have to admit it's been a few years, so I'm not 100% certain it's still around. It was on Reeperbahn.
Even if the Arcade still exists, I'm not sure what the chances are for it getting TK7.
Would be awesome, though.
I just moved to London. Chances for London to get a TK7 Arcade are a bit higher, hopefully. Would be glorious, and my first Tekken Arcade experience since TK3.

GGs the other day, Bout. I can't help but feel inadequate next to you since you're playing "properly," with spacing and punishing. Need to play offline more often.

Sorry about yesterday, you caught me as I was just about to leave.

sasuke_91

Well, I have to admit it's been a few years, so I'm not 100% certain it's still around. It was on Reeperbahn.
Even if the Arcade still exists, I'm not sure what the chances are for it getting TK7.
Would be awesome, though.
I just moved to London. Chances for London to get a TK7 Arcade are a bit higher, hopefully. Would be glorious, and my first Tekken Arcade experience since TK3.

Hmm, okay. Hamburg is pretty far away anyway, and I haven't heard of any other arcade :p

AAK! You know how after a CH RFF b+3 you can JFSR your opponent if you are fast enough... I did it twice in practice mode today and got a 147 dmg combo with Steve as my partner. I was like "well... I won't be able to do it in a real match anyway", but I did! I played with a friend earlier and managed to do it. I couldn't finish the combo because he died before that, but damn, that felt great :D

GrayFoxPL

Are you sure you have to into Flicker first? Maybe you can skip it like when you do f2,1~db WS+1,2 at the wall.
But that would cancel the tag assault... I have to try it out tomorrow o_O

Yeah tag assault stays in stances. No idea how neutral ws+1,2 works in this but that's Knee, lol.

Dereck

So in February we're gonna have hours and hours of Korean Tekken 7 to watch daily, most likely, right?

EDIT: I've been talking to my friend about Tekken 7 here and there, and whenever I mention the game, I get a cynical comment from him. I decided to stop talking to him about Tekken 7, I don't need that cynicism clouding my Tekken 7 excitement. We in there.

LowParry

So in February we're gonna have hours and hours of Korean Tekken 7 to watch daily, most likely, right?

EDIT: I've been talking to my friend about Tekken 7 here and there, and whenever I mention the game, I get a cynical comment from him. I decided to stop talking to him about Tekken 7, I don't need that cynicism clouding my Tekken 7 excitement. We in there.

Oh yeah. Nightly watches like the good'ol Tekken 6/TTT2 days.

Manbig

Where's the like button?

I will watch a few Tekken 7 videos, but I am not going to watch much. Watching others discover everything a Tekken has to offer is not exactly fun to me. I didn't watch TTT2 much either. The less I realize how much I am doing has already been discovered years ago. The more willing I am to keep playing.

Sorry to be a hype kill. Just been around a while and tolerated Namco's business practice. It almost makes me wish I was a Street Fighter player. Being robbed for updates is better than being barred from them till it's last decade's news.

Sayah

That should be the case. I'm really looking forward to this Tekken. I'm buying a PS4 likely for Bloodborne so the sooner this gets out on consoles, the better. Their development progress seems to be quite fast. 10% progress per month means a completed game within 10 months.

And yes, all this gaf pessimism on the gaming side got me all annoyed. So ready for those 1v1 battles.

I will watch a few Tekken 7 videos, but I am not going to watch much. Watching others discover everything a Tekken has to offer is not exactly fun to me. I didn't watch TTT2 much either. The less I realize how much I am doing has already been discovered years ago. The more willing I am to keep playing.

Sorry to be a hype kill. Just been around a while and tolerated Namco's business practice. It almost makes me wish I was a Street Fighter player. Being robbed for updates is better than being barred from them till it's last decade's news.

I'll be watching all of it. I don't think the discovery period ever ends in Tekken anyway. I'm still learning new stuff in TTT2.

I'll be watching all of it. I don't think the discovery period ever ends in Tekken anyway. I'm still learning new stuff in TTT2.

Pool of players is smaller. That and the game has more "depth" That's why it takes so long to find things in Tekken. If we had a huge community. Game would've been figured out.

I'll be watching T7 though. Don't care for discovery that much.

Top Bottom