• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

DEATH™

You wanna build a custom in Tag2 or make real pants?

I wanna draw it... I've been practicing figure drawing for a while and so far I can't draw anything that have clothes lol (don't blame me, I'm just doing what art people is telling me lol). Since I'm practicing drapery, migth as well try drawing King and AK in black wrestling gear lol.

But yeah, I cannot cheat AK's pants like others do... I wish I have access to T6 models or something for reference and I only have TTT2 ones lol.

GrayFoxPL

DEATH™;137616850 said:
I wanna draw it... I've been practicing figure drawing for a while and so far I can't draw anything that have clothes lol (don't blame me, I'm just doing what art people is telling me lol). Since I'm practicing drapery, migth as well try drawing King and AK in black wrestling gear lol.

But yeah, I cannot cheat AK's pants like others do... I wish I have access to T6 models or something for reference and I only have TTT2 ones lol.

Oh, I draw like a 6 year old, lol.

I'll make the screenshots tomorrow if noone will provide till then.

DEATH™

Oh, I draw like a 6 year old, lol.

I'll make the screenshots tomorrow if noone will provide till then.

Thanks bro!

Also if you are interested, (if you have gmail), I can send you some drawing resources if you realy want to learn. It's way more simple than it looks, though it takes alot of practice. PM me if interested (same thing with the rest of you GAF members).

My goal someday is to give TTT2 a proper tribute for being an awesome game. One of the things I learned in Strongstyle is I don't have to be an ultra competitive playey to give the game some love.

GrayFoxPL

DEATH™;137628829 said:
Thanks bro!

Also if you are interested, (if you have gmail), I can send you some drawing resources if you realy want to learn. It's way more simple than it looks, though it takes alot of practice. PM me if interested (same thing with the rest of you GAF members).

Thanks, it's too late for me. Even few years back I couldn't properly sign documents. Like I'm holding pen and suddenly couldn't make my hand write my name. Motoric skills too low.

I can doodle with mouse a bit.

We should make a "Tekken in Paint" gig some day, lol.

DEATH™;137628829 said:
My goal someday is to give TTT2 a proper tribute for being an awesome game. One of the things I learned in Strongstyle is I don't have to be an ultra competitive playey to give the game some love.

Truer words never been said.

Sayah

DEATH™;137578216 said:
Those procrastination + good grade stories you two have makes me wanna hate you guys...

DansGame

(I wish I can get away with that someday lol)

Be happy if you're not a procrastinator and don't have to deal with that last-minute stress. :p

fatalexe

I'm finally done with my final exams and graduated for an A-Levels type education system (Malaysian STPM)

Didn't touch this game in months and now that I'm trying to get back into this game.. I can't feel my love for the game anymore. Previously although I get owned all the time at least I feel like I'm learning something. Now.. I'm questioning myself why am I even trying to play when I lose 95% of the time. It doesn't help that I'm a competitive type player that feels like ranks is important.. and that player matches are dead in Asia.

There's just too many characters to learn their moveset and counters for a amateur player. add on gimmicks from ranked games.. It's like torturing oneself.

Maybe I'm tired from all the studying and the mood for competitve games is not back yet. I might have to sell my arcade stick that I bought for this game if this goes on.

DEATH™

I'm finally done with my final exams and graduated for an A-Levels type education system (Malaysian STPM)

Didn't touch this game in months and now that I'm trying to get back into this game.. I can't feel my love for the game anymore. Previously although I get owned all the time at least I feel like I'm learning something. Now.. I'm questioning myself why am I even trying to play when I lose 95% of the time. It doesn't help that I'm a competitive type player that feels like ranks is important.. and that player matches are dead in Asia.

There's just too many characters to learn their moveset and counters for a amateur player. add on gimmicks from ranked games.. It's like torturing oneself.

Maybe I'm tired from all the studying and the mood for competitve games is not back yet. I might have to sell my arcade stick that I bought for this game if this goes on.

1. You are tired
2. You are rusty
3. You are playing online ranked

Let it sink in...

I can honestly say matchups is not a problem WHEN you play with someone else beside you. You can ask directly what moves did he use to you and stuff, and you make learning a social experience. Online though it becomes another story...

I can't believe how much fun playing offline is compared to online.

sasuke_91

I have time! Who wants to play?

Half an hour earlier and I would have jumped in. Just turned off my PS3.

Guys... I'm a Berserker now, but not as one would expect with Hwoarang/Steve. I teamed up Lee with Miharu because I missed my old Xiaoyu/Lee team and got Lee to Berserker in no time. Miharu has an ~80% win rate and is a Grand Master now. Fighter rank felt undeserved because I only fought opponents on Miharu's rank. But man, as soon as I got to Fighter the Warriors began to appear. I even got to fight a random Pugilist/Duelist.
Ranking match was pretty easy. A Marauder King/Nina who attacked in the same pattern over and over again. Lost the first round and destroyed him after that ;D

Warrior here I come :p

AAK

DEATH™;137578216 said:
Those procrastination + good grade stories you two have makes me wanna hate you guys...

DansGame

(I wish I can get away with that someday lol)

Trust me though, getting away with them made me a far more useless human being right now than if I failed and strengthened myself from that failure. Please don't take inspiration from my stupidity :p

And TheMainMan is sooo well spoken. I was really impressed. Was a very entertaining ATP live.

sasuke_91

I guess I'll watch the full episode. Haven't done that in a long while :D
TMM is one of my favourite Tekken players. His execution is soo good. And his English is extremely solid. I wish I was able to talk English like that. His pronounciation of EWGF is funny though. Sounds so german :D

GrayFoxPL

I guess I'll watch the full episode. Haven't done that in a long while :D
TMM is one of my favourite Tekken players. His execution is soo good. And his English is extremely solid. I wish I was able to talk English like that. His pronounciation of EWGF is funny though. Sounds so german :D

I never pronounce it in english. In polish its EhVooGee-ehEff ;D.

Just a rambling.

I play TR like every other day at lunch. I run into some truly bad players. I don't think I have fought anybody really good. When I go into TTT2, there are killers everywhere.

I am not that good by any means, but I don't know if this version is raising these tekken players with bad habits. People just spam invincibles all day, without a care in the world, even when you block and punish them.

Maybe it's the time of day I am playing, which is mid day, and I play TTT2 at night, so I am not seeing the best TR players.

IDK, it's just weird. Just rambling about what I see in my small sample size.

Can't wait for tekken 7.....

sasuke_91

I never pronounce it in english. In polish its EhVooGee-ehEff ;D.

Pronouncing EWGF in English is way too annoying. Who had the idea of calling W "Double-U", that's stupid :p

Just a rambling.

I play TR like every other day at lunch. I run into some truly bad players. I don't think I have fought anybody really good. When I go into TTT2, there are killers everywhere.

I am not that good by any means, but I don't know if this version is raising these tekken players with bad habits. People just spam invincibles all day, without a care in the world, even when you block and punish them.

Maybe it's the time of day I am playing, which is mid day, and I play TTT2 at night, so I am not seeing the best TR players.

I dropped TR for that reason. Can't recall any moment where I'd say I had "fun" with the game.
Players coming from TR will probably find Tekken 7 less frustrating than TTT2 since there's something similar to invincibles and some mechanics that have been made easier. Ranking will be fun when Tekken 7 releases :p

Just a rambling.

Nope, TR definitely has a much weaker player base. There are a handful of good players that stick with it, but the large majority of them favor TTT2. That said, the skill gap is kinda scary and weird between the two games. The average green rank player in TTT2 would be at least red ranks in TR. That's insane.

AAK

Last time I played TR I got to the max rank with a no-stat Julia. They are that bad....
and then Ninthpixel came online and beat me senseless :p

Manbig

Nope, TR definitely has a much weaker player base. There are a handful of good players that stick with it, but the large majority of them favor TTT2. That said, the skill gap is kinda scary and weird between the two games. The average green rank player in TTT2 would be at least red ranks in TR. That's insane.

That's because there's a lot more people playing TR overall. If a regular Tekken game had a player base that wide, online might just be fun for a change.

Sayah

That's because there's a lot more people playing TR overall. If a regular Tekken game had a player base that wide, online might just be fun for a change.

I don't know about that.

There's a clear gap in people playing TR and TTT2. A lot of people downloaded TR, played it a few times, and then never went back to it and just stuck with TTT2.

Online TTT2 is pretty active and I wouldn't say there's a significant difference in the amount of time it takes to find opponents in both games. Except for the fact that maybe TR is more active at the higher ranks whereas TTT2 starts getting less and less player activity the higher the rank gets. I think that may have to do with a lot of players in TTT2 being stuck in the middle ranks. In contrast, it doesn't seem that hard at all to get promos in TR. When I was playing, people at the higher ranks were just spamming invincibles and I was just blocking them and punishing.

I don't know about that.

There's a clear gap in people playing TR and TTT2. A lot of people downloaded TR, played it a few times, and then never went back to it and just stuck with TTT2.

I think that's honestly hard to measure...

We don't know how many people dropped TR. people could have picked up after the loc test too.

Manbig

I don't know about that.

Online TTT2 is pretty active and I wouldn't say there's a significant difference in the amount of time it takes to find opponents in both games. Except for the fact that maybe TR is more active at the higher ranks whereas TTT2 starts getting less and less player activity the higher the rank gets. I think that may have to do with a lot of players in TTT2 being stuck in the middle ranks. In contrast, it doesn't seem that hard at all to get promos in TR. When I was playing, people at the higher ranks were just spamming invincibles and I was just blocking them and punishing.

It's not even about finding matches in TTT2 thought. It's about having a variety of skill levels to fight against. Would be nice to have a bigger pool of new/low level players running around so other new people that try the game out don't get instantly sodomized online.

Sayah

It's not even about finding matches in TTT2 thought. It's about having a variety of skill levels to fight against. Would be nice to have a bigger pool of new/low level players running around so other new people that try the game out don't get instantly sodomized online.

It wouldn't be a problem if people stopped creating alternate beginner PSN accounts and tried to re-rank their characters over and over.

I never really understood the purpose of that. If you already reached red ranks, there's no need to start all over again. It potentially even turns the real beginner players away from the game.

I think that's honestly hard to measure...

We don't know how many people dropped TR. people could have picked up after the loc test too.

I know. I'm just basing it off of my own personal experience.

Dereck

For the people that play offline with other people, do you ever notice that, when you play on another PS3 using your controller, for about 10 minutes, you can't really do any combos? It's odd, it's happened twice. I was invited over to play some offline Tekken last night, and once again, like, I was dropping combos because maybe I wasn't pressing the buttons hard enough, or because I was playing on a different PS3? Then about 10 minutes later, I was landing everything as usual.

And ayy American players, I kind of want to stream some Tekken today, but if no one is going to be online, I won't.

sasuke_91

For the people that play offline with other people, do you ever notice that, when you play on another PS3 using your controller, for about 10 minutes, you can't really do any combos? It's odd, it's happened twice. I was invited over to play some offline Tekken last night, and once again, like, I was dropping combos because maybe I wasn't pressing the buttons hard enough, or because I was playing on a different PS3? Then about 10 minutes later, I was landing everything as usual.

Different TV/monitor means a different degree of input lag. I can't do anything when I'm playing on another TV. It's even worse when I use my friend's controller. My reaction is definitely worse and it doesn't get better in just 10 minutes :p
So yeah, it's you adjusting to different conditions. That's why you drop every combo.

And ayy American players, I kind of want to stream some Tekken today, but if no one is going to be online, I won't.

And as usual, we Europeans are left out :p
I can't play now, anyway^^

Sayah

Different TV/monitor means a different degree of input lag. I can't do anything when I'm playing on another TV. It's even worse when I use my friend's controller. My reaction is definitely worse and it doesn't get better in just 10 minutes :p
So yeah, it's you adjusting to different conditions. That's why you drop every combo.

Yeah, this is likely the reason why.

AAK

GG's today bout. I was using the pad again today but I think the problem is the way I violently press the buttons. Because I rest the entire pad on my lap I can use the entire force of my hands to press the buttons.. hence that's why it was causing the USB to keep falling off. I got a brand new cable today and I was having the same problems. Maaan this sucks, gotta change the way I hold the pad. Gripping the handles just feels so awkward right now. Gotta drain it into the muslce memory.

That one match in the beginning where you came back with Bob was uber sick!

Also I get the same problems everytime I go to the offline gathers. The worst part is throw breaking :S. But for some reason El-Neef just adapts super fast.

Dereck

I was using the pad again today but I think the problem is the way I violently press the buttons. Because I rest the entire pad on my lap I can use the entire force of my hands to press the buttons.. hence that's why it was causing the USB to keep falling off. I got a brand new cable today and I was having the same problems. Maaan this sucks, gotta change the way I hold the pad. Gripping the handles just feels so awkward right now.
Bizarre

Manbig

Ever since the transition to HD televisions, that has been the norm. Even before that though, your seating position is probably not going to be the same as it is for you at home, so you're going to want to put in some time before tournaments to adapt to whatever the scenario presents to you.

Famicom do you have any suggestions on how to better my AK? I still have a lot to learn with him and at least I know that I really don't all of his proper punishes.

DEATH™

Famicom do you have any suggestions on how to better my AK? I still have a lot to learn with him and at least I know that I really don't all of his proper punishes.

I'm no Famicom but his punishes are...

10f: 1,2 or 2,1 (same damage)
12f: b+1,2
14f: f+1+4 or DU if you are gangster
15f: hopkick
16f +pushbash: b+3 (or f+1+4)

for crouching

11f: WS 4
15f: hopkick
16f: WS 1

As a Kaz player you should be a little bit comfortable with AK since you are gonna look for DU punishes anyway...

AAK

Aking:

d/f+1: has to be one of the best midpokes in the game.

f,f,n,2: A Launch punishable low but it's great to begin offense. It also launches on counter hit. But it's not obvious that it's launch punishable so you can definitely get away with it more times than not.

Giant Swing: Amazing, fast, extra damage at wall splat, crazy damage for a grab if they don't techroll. Really learn how to do Giant Swing instantly after certain moves (like a dickpunch or after a b+1,2 punish)

Dark Upper: You can dash pretty deep before doing it making it a fabulous whiff punisher and not so easy to see coming.

d/b+2+4 ground throw: At the wall this grab is uber cheap. If you land this grab you get a free b+1,2 into a mixup. If you lift them up when thei FAFA or FDFT you get a free shoulder which even away from the wall... but if you do it at the wall, you get a free wallsplat. It can be broken with 2, that's where you can mix it up with d/b+1+3.

d+2: Safe, mid, long range ground pound. Another really good tool that you use to control your opponent. It's his staple bound move too.

His B&B combo is: Launcher, SSR d/f+1, 1+2,2, d+2 B! 1+4. The 1+4 will always hit, it does the most damage if they techroll, it does the least damage if they backroll/forward roll.

d/b+3: There's always this move. Pretty hard to react to, gives a launcher on counterhit, but heavily launch punishable. AKing's snake edge.

u/f+1+2: Capital punishment is probably his most damaging combo starter. Great range but very slow and linear. It low crushes and is positive frames on block. Great for tag punishing and keeping pressure on cornered opponents.

And yeah, AKing has a generic hopkick... take advantage of it!

AK is kind of a hard character to make suggestions for since proficiency with him is mainly "be good at fundamentals and do lots of throws". He doesn't have much in the way of abusable gimmicks, outside of WS Giant Swing setups and wall stuff.

Death already went over the punishment, so my only addition to that is realizing that getting better at punishment is moreso learning other characters weaknesses than learning new moves. AK does have super sweet situational punish options (f+2,1, f+1+4, b+3, DU), but really AK can b+1,2 punish several things and be just fine.

Watching over our matches, I will say that I think your spacing with AK might be a bit too far out, relying a lot on crouch dash mixups, backflip and capital punishment to get in. They work on me because I'm a scrub, but it's not the most optimal way to play. :) I'd suggest playing in a bit closer around the tip of d/f+1 where you can pressure with that and your lows (d+3, d+4, d/b+3) and throws while also being able to quickly backdash or sidestep and whiff punish with DU. Your execution is better than mine so this gameplan can work for you. If you just feel more comfortable playing further out, then your primary option should just be waiting for a DU opportunity.

Oh yeah, and definitely practice buffering your Giant Swing from moves and blockstun. When you just dash up in my face and do it I can see you inputting it based on your movement haha. 1,2 / 2,1 / f,f,n,2 / d/f+1 into GS are just a few examples. The game is actually very lenient with this, 100x easier than trying to block punish with an EWGF. GS from crouch on the other hand....

Just a rambling.

Yep, sounds like Tekken Revolution. I play it once in awhile and I do have fun with it still, but a Red Rank in that game is the equivalent to a Green Rank in TTT2. Plenty of invincible spamming, button mashers, spammers and mistakes are prevalent in that game. Block the invincibles and then punish. Imo, there is a significant skill gap between TR and TTT2 players. TR can be good for the Tekken community with it's widespread exposure an accessibility, but it can also teach some bad habits to new players that could end up frustrating them against highly skill Tekken players. In all fairness though, some of us have been playing Tekken for months to years and quite a bit of these guys probably just started playing, at least I am insinuating that. Tekken 7 rank matches will probably be interesting.

Think about this. Have any of you guys played my Lili in TTT2? Hmmm? Eh? I see you laughing at her. Ok, you know she definitely needs ALOT of work and I think I got her to the beginning Blue Ranks or lower(3rd Dan, Master??) on TTT2 if I remember accurately. Can't remember. In TR, I got her to a Conqueror rank fairly quick without too many problems, if any and I rarely play Ranked in TR. That should tell you something.

DEATH™;137616850 said:

Nice. I wanted to get those Armor King pics for you when you posted the request, but my PS3 just refused to play Tekken 6 for some reason now. It's acting weird. Not reading some discs. >_< Yeah, figure drawing can be tricky at times. It can take time getting used to the human anatomy and getting your rhythm down. I am getting back into drawing again(so rusty) now and unfortunately I am reduced to using colored pencils because my last computer broke and I lost my software on it and do not have a disc drive on my new one, yet.

AK is kind of a hard character to make suggestions for since proficiency with him is mainly "be good at fundamentals and do lots of throws". He doesn't have much in the way of abusable gimmicks, outside of WS Giant Swing setups and wall stuff.

Death already went over the punishment, so my only addition to that is realizing that getting better at punishment is moreso learning other characters weaknesses than learning new moves. AK does have super sweet situational punish options (f+2,1, f+1+4, b+3, DU), but really AK can b+1,2 punish several things and be just fine.

Watching over our matches, I will say that I think your spacing with AK might be a bit too far out, relying a lot on crouch dash mixups, backflip and capital punishment to get in. They work on me because I'm a scrub, but it's not the most optimal way to play. :) I'd suggest playing in a bit closer around the tip of d/f+1 where you can pressure with that and your lows (d+3, d+4, d/b+3) and throws while also being able to quickly backdash or sidestep and whiff punish with DU. Your execution is better than mine so this gameplan can work for you. If you just feel more comfortable playing further out, then your primary option should just be waiting for a DU opportunity.

Oh yeah, and definitely practice buffering your Giant Swing from moves and blockstun. When you just dash up in my face and do it I can see you inputting it based on your movement haha. 1,2 / 2,1 / f,f,n,2 / d/f+1 into GS are just a few examples. The game is actually very lenient with this, 100x easier than trying to block punish with an EWGF. GS from crouch on the other hand....
Thanks man. I'll try to keep that in mind. I've played Heihachi/Kazuya for much longer than I have AK so I'm still figuring him out. Unlike Heihachi... I feel that it is slightly more difficult to safely poke/pressure people at close range with AK so instead I tend to space more with him and do silly stuff to catch people like the handspring, cd1, capital punishment as well as whiff punishing with dark upper. But I guess you're right that I should be focusing on staying in mid-range with AK

Top Bottom