• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

i caved in and bought a online pass after watching master cup ... the results aren't pretty. i don't know anything except for kbdc, jaycee's hopkicks into windroll x3 into bound, and trying to think of another beginner character i can roll with. i was thinking about using aska but i don't like her playstyle but i remember going on here awhile back and someone mentioning alisa cause she has a shitload of bounds. can anyone link me videos of how decent jaycees/alisa's are supposed to be played? and damn at the amount of data you need to know in order to whiff punish people in this game. i like it though :p

AAK

Don't play tag yet.

Stick with solo first and learn 1 character completely. Julia is my main as well.

You have your BnB combo down. Now, learn about block punishment, for now, just stick with this:

Punish hopkicks and other moves that are between -12 to -14, do 2~b,2+3 to punish it

Punish really negative moves with her hopkick u/f+4,3 into your BnB combo. I'd love to go online and do a practice mode session with you but I won't have time this week :( Feel free to ask though and Tekken GAF has plenty of great players to run you through the basics :)

it'll be awhile before i'll hop on the online circuit again haha. but thanks for the offer though! i'm still learning the movement to this game and i'll probably read through the movement/beginner's guide on ATP. what are julia's options on knockdown? i've been doing f+3, into 2 or 3 as a high low.

what's ~b? back or bound?

Xevren

it'll be awhile before i'll hop on the online circuit again haha. but thanks for the offer though! i'm still learning the movement to this game and i'll probably read through the movement/beginner's guide on ATP. what are julia's options on knockdown? i've been doing f+3, into 2 or 3 as a high low.

It's back, 2~b for Jaycee on hit twirls her around to their backside. I always love this punisher, good ol butt blast.

AAK

Are you guys watching TxT? I just saw the most incredible Capos combo by Abel. He's right now 2-2 against Saint!

http://www.twitch.tv/TxT_SouthAmerica

EDIT: Abel from Peru beat Saint!!!
F*** clone teams!!!

Yeah, it's quickly pressing back after the 2 jab and ending with the buttslam.

As for okizeme, it's a little complicated but what I love to do after scoring a knockdown is dash forward and enter into her full crouch mode while flashing d/f over and over again. If they get up and do a low kick I low parry, if they do a mid kick, I usually have enough time to react and go back to neutral block. If they stay down I do WS+2,2. If they tried to get up in that moment I would refloat them into the air and the second 2 will bound them for a full combo. If they stayed down, the second 2 will get a full grounded it.
And if they decided to tech roll, then I get to do Julia's amazing Full crouch mixup 50,50 on them. I can either do Bow and Arrow, a safe, homing WS+3, or if I'm really confident a mid launcher like WS+1 or hopkick.

Don't worry if you didn't understand all that, I'll have to show you physically in a session for you to understand.

GrayFoxPL

Whack them with ff+2 to death.

You can also try full crouch df+4,3 then ff+1 for pickup into combo, but whacking them to death with ff+2 is better ;).

AAK

I forgot to mention that when i said get up, it included backrolling and forward rolling. And when I said they stayed down, that included siderolling. That's the beauty of using Julia's ws+2,2 option select.

But of coarse if you KNOW they're gonna do something, use d/f+3 if you KNOW they're gonna get up normally or back/forward rolling. Do d+2+3 buttslam if you KNOW they're gonna stay grounded. If you KNOW they're gonna side roll, it's finnicky so I'd just realign and try to f,f+2 them for more damage. If you KNOW they're gonna low, you hopkick, you KNOW they're gonna midkick, sidestep and launch. and so forth for the other wakeup options.

What I just mentioned is flowchart that takes care of a lot of the options Tekken has for wakeup.

Tekken 7 is massively simplifying all of this by the way.

Sayah

Are people impressed by capos winning tournaments?

Not really.

TTT2 of all games is where even B-tier characters have good chances of winning. I've seen Kuma/Panda teams and Dr. Bs destroying people so I'm not surprised,.

It's more about player skill imo.

GrayFoxPL

Maybe they'll rework Capos as a standing character primary. No relax. No more relaunching grounded opponents in T7 would make relax abusers even more pain in the ass.

Just hope Lei is still in, they can revert him back to T5 if they have to.

Wish they showed newer build of T7. Kinda weird they're not showing any direct feed stuff.

Dereck

It's more about player skill imo.
In the context of this discussion, I think its more about character familiarity and character advantage, I'm referring to capos.

EDIT: I don't think people lose to capos, only because the player is good, I think people lose to capos also because the characters themselves seem to have exclusive advantages that puts them into a different spectrum when it comes down to the rest of the cast.

Sayah

In the context of this discussion, I think its more about character familiarity and character advantage, I'm referring to capos.

I put character matchup knowledge under skill as well.

Skill isn't just knowing your character and the game mechanics well. It's also knowing how to punish other characters and gaining the upperhand over others' mixups/strategies/whatever else.

Sayah

What I'm saying is that capo players can get away with not doing that.

Hmmmm.....I don't know.

I think capos are pretty manageable once you know how to handle them.

Though, I can't speak much on that. I'm just spamming u/f+3 with Nina when capos go into relax. lol

AAK

Are people impressed by capos winning tournaments?

Capo's winning previously was considered a HUGE accomplishment. Hence why Brad's success in TTT1 and T5 was a big deal. If people knew the matchup it was pretty difficult for Capo's outgimmick the other player.

Check out JeungDding (The guy who OCV'd Japan's best @ Mastercup) here in T6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpufX98Ki3g

The damage capos had in a solo game is paltry compared to what they can do in TTT2. So many of the launchers capos had before didn't lead to much... but now it's massive thanks to Tag Assault.

EDIT: For example, landing something like b+3,3 CH in a previous Tekken game wouldn't be that bad... in TTT2 you get:

ImprobableCavernousCivet.gif

(sorry for the quality)

Sayah

Dayum. I didn't see that before.

I'm having a hard time believing that's not a reset. But the health bar says otherwise.

AAK

That guy was legit, amazing the way he outplayed Saint. I do think the Lei/Ling player got away with a lot more stuff.... but still full credit to those players for doing what they did against the Korean. Peru have definitely sent a message.

EDIT: And this is how you kill 2 characters:

WindingFlamboyantLarva.gif

My video feed cuts, but after Ling's f+2+3, Lei get's a free f+3,2,1 on the back into a bound move, the gif continues from there.

What I'm saying is that capo players can get away with not doing that.

Nah they don't get away with anything other than their opponent being lazy on the match up. Yes you have to switch you game up depending on how Capos play(more relax, less relax, dependence on b1,4 or b2, 50/50's all day.) but its not really this big game changer that makes it easier for them to win. The capos aren't too nuanced to where they completely change the game. Its all up to you if they do however

For example, I am not scared to fight AAK's Christie at all because he doesn't do enough to make me fear the character beyond being a bit tricky to deal with which comes with the territory. But if someone were to play more reckless than he does I'm a bit more afraid and I have to play patient because its crazy easy to go on tilt. Typically the more solid the player is(as in a strict playstyle) they won't play Capos in the way that's most effective.

TLDR; Learn how to fight against Capos and they're no different from Lei, Zaf, Hwoarang, Ling, etc.

Sayah

That guy was legit, amazing the way he outplayed Saint. I do think the Lei/Ling player got away with a lot more stuff.... but still full credit to those players for doing what they did against the Korean. Peru have definitely sent a message.

My video feed cuts, but after Ling's f+2+3, Lei get's a free f+3,2,1 on the back into a bound move, the gif continues from there.

I have to watch the archives for this. These gifs are insane.

This game has so much discovery potential but not enough people playing it.

av2k

ah, I thought the f+3,2,1 was common knowledge but I guess not. In Houston, a lot of people do that and variations of it (devil jin's laser cannon for example or law's junkyard) but it's used so much that it's extremely easy to break (two break chances).

The follow up to the tag crash was completely insane though, good stuff, I'll keep an eye on these guys. Very entertaining.

AAK

According to Harada's twitter:

- There are more new characters to be in T7
- The Arab character's attire has been modified

And from FlyingWonkey:

Japan Amusement Expo 2015 date is set for February 13. Expect a massive explosion of T7 info that week.

Xevren

People need to ask Harada the important questions, like the possibility for a Vita port of Tekken 7.

I'd double dip for that, what's really sad is I can backdash cancel the best on vita pad. Now whenever I play on anything else I just get depressed.

sasuke_91

Is there any other legit Tekken God than Princess Ling? I don't know of any.

I watched that ATP Live with TheMainMan. It was really great. TMM being all humble :D
The thing he said about Combo Makers though... daamn^^

sasuke_91

What did he say about combo makers?
I don't know if I remember it correctly, but he was asked what motivated him to do videos. He answered that he made combo videos for an ego boost, so that people would say how awesome he and his combos are. Then he said that this was the case for all those combo makers if they were honest to themselves^^

EDIT: I don't know if I understood it in a wrong way or if I remembered it wrong. I rewatched that part and he just said it was for an ego boost if he was honest to himself and that this was the case for most combo makers as they start to do videos.

Sayah

Those gifs... Urge me to say that this game is broken. Jesus.

I wouldn't go that far.

I would call it broken if it's not escapable. But tag crash is definitely not 100% safe and you have to use it carefully or you risk getting your incoming characters' back exposed.

For instance, Baek easily gets nearly a full healthbar of damage on a backturned character.

However, that Eddy/Christie combo was wow.

I wouldn't go that far.

I would call it broken if it's not escapable. But tag crash is definitely not 100% safe and you have to use it carefully or you risk getting your incoming characters' back exposed.

For instance, Baek easily gets nearly a full healthbar of damage on a backturned character.

However, that Eddy/Christie combo was wow.

I know that is a definite exaggeration, but the Chreddy combo was just baffling. Luckily I haven't been victim to any death combos yet haha.

GrayFoxPL

I don't know if I remember it correctly, but he was asked what motivated him to do videos. He answered that he made combo videos for an ego boost, so that people would say how awesome he and his combos are. Then he said that this was the case for all those combo makers if they were honest to themselves^^

EDIT: I don't know if I understood it in a wrong way or if I remembered it wrong. I rewatched that part and he just said it was for an ego boost if he was honest to himself and that this was the case for most combo makers as they start to do videos.

I see, thanks.

I have to watch the archives for this. These gifs are insane.

This game has so much discovery potential but not enough people playing it.
It makes me sad honestly. Previous' Tekken's had discovery potential in strategy. TTT2 is just T6 with better movement as a strategic medium. The only potential has been juggles, juggles and more juggles. If TTT2 had the players and Bob's infinite was found in the first week, I can't say I would still be playing at this stage in TTT2 life.

AAK

It makes me sad honestly. Previous' Tekken's had discovery potential in strategy. TTT2 is just T6 with better movement as a strategic medium. The only potential has been juggles, juggles and more juggles. If TTT2 had the players and Bob's infinite was found in the first week, I can't say I would still be playing at this stage in TTT2 life.

Could you give examples then of what T6 did that changed the strategy from DR?

Sayah

Well, seeing as tag assault is the defining mechanic, it's not surprising juggles are a primary source of strategy (whether it's in the form of resets, unblockable setups, tag crash baiting, etc).

Though, outside of juggles, there is similarity/sameness with Tekken 6. Tekken 7 will be changing this, of course.

Dereck

It will be a relief to not have to worry about Tag Assault mixups and not feeling like a jerk dummy for falling for stuff like that.

I'd say that the nerfed movement, inclusion of rage, and bound improving the whole cast's oki went a pretty long way in changing the strategy.
^^^
The jab frame difference, backturned recovery (a lot faster to turn around in T6), and okizeme in T6/TTT2 is like SF4 Vortexes, not like Tekken 5/DR which were real oki mixups with actual risk on both sides (getup kicks were launchable, refloats were less common and strict).

It's not that I want Tekken to revert back to Tekken 5. I want it to move forward, I just want strategy to mean more than it does now. There is way too much success in partying and playing on auto-pilot.

^^^
The jab frame difference, backturned recovery (a lot faster to turn around in T6), and okizeme in T6/TTT2 is like SF4 Vortexes, not like Tekken 5/DR which were real oki mixups with actual risk on both sides (getup kicks were launchable, refloats were less common and strict).

It's not that I want Tekken to revert back to Tekken 5. I want it to move forward, I just want strategy to mean more than it does now. There is way too much success in partying and playing on auto-pilot.

I was about to say "Well solid play still wins at the end of the day."

Then I thought that only really applies to top level play. Then again.....

Top Bottom