• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

Curse you Wonkey!!!!

I have a very bad habit of over-doing things and ends up taking 3x longer than it should haha.

Anyways... This was I did so far on the 20th anniversary thread before finding out Wonkey already made a thread
1 week ago!!!!!
:p

=======================================================

i7QAxBxdb5OIB.png

On December 7th, 1994, Namco released the original Tekken in arcades. Namco was heavily invested in development of 3D modeled videogames among them was a fighting game. And hence development of Tekken began. Here is probably the initial concept of what could have been Tekken:

tekken-rave-war-characters.jpg

Later the game was given the title "Rave-war" before eventually switching to the name "Tekken" which is pronunciation of the Japanese text: 鉄拳 meaning "Iron Fist". As it started out it was a super small team with young Harada(#5 in the image below) and grew to become the highest selling fighting game IP in the market today with over 42 million sales accross its lifetime.

ibiod0pqCNFjd7.jpg

Tekken initially took the majority of its inspiration from Street Fighter, rather than Virtua Fighter because of various reasons. Tekken is a very unique fighting game because of how different it plays from all of the other major 3D fighting games being Soul Calibur/Virtua Fighter/Dead or Alive. First of all, it is the only one of those 3D fighters that doesn't have a block button and went with the street fighter method of holding back. Also, instead it's control are based completely upon the individual 4 limbs of the character rather a specific type of attack in the other games. While it makes movement extremely different, it made discerning attacks very intuitive because you could associate the animation occurring with a direction on the controller and pressing the button based on the limb you saw do the attack. And from this foundation Tekken evolved into the beast of the game it is today. I only truly understood Tekken's system when I put in time towards it in the Tekken 5 era but I'll briefly talk about my experiences with games that came out in their time frame:

ib1RWQw717QwqA.gif

ig1CLCdoeZOHw.png

Tekken 1 came out when I was 7 years old, and it was one of the 2 games I saw my family friend own when I first laid eyes on the console during a family visit (the second game was need for speed). Even after playing it, it was a basic 2D fighting game with no real sidestep.

But you could still see how Tekken did implement something special with their character designs. You had the typical hero/heroine characters with Kazuya & Chun Li. But what immediately stood out to me was Law being the first true Bruce Lee rip-off. With Jackie from VF being none Asian, and Fei Long's animation being limited to a 2D plane, the first true "Hey, that's Bruce Lee!" remark definitely came from Law.

iH79lVk1lf6mo.png

And then came Tekken 2.... I eventually got a PS1 from my dad (my first console!) around this time. My PS2 came with the Tekken 2 demo disk. I would play the hell out of that demo disk because now, it had Lei, the Jackie Chan look-alike. And randomly in one of my matches against Yoshimitsu, my back faced Yoshi and he grabbed and then I witnessed the Izuna drop!

After I saw that, I couldn't believe what I saw and I begged my parents to get me the Tekken 2 disc. After I got it I just had so much fun being 8 years old and just mashing kicks with Law all day and getting those CG endings. And eventually you'd unlock Baek and be wowed at what happened when mashing the X button!

iblKBFCGx83j5V.png

But now, here comes the revolution. Tekken 3 basically took the world by storm. Bear in mind I was living in Saudi Arabia at the time living in an American compound and I think every kid that had a Playstation in school and in the compound played and adored Tekken 3. This was the game that finally excelled the series into the 3rd dimension. The improvements on all the characters animations was explosive, and everything was grounded in a much more gritty fashion.

It just didn't stop there, the other huge thing was how they implemented a time-skip and you were playing as the progeny and protege's of Tekken 2's characters. It brought so much life into the lore of the series and I was hooked. I never did play with anyone else but I do remember myself just sitting there spending hours upon hours mashing buttons with different characters, getting their endings and revel in the spectacle of Tekken's graphics. It sure was a looker for the time as well. The music and Tekken Force mode were just icing's on the cake.

ibgmynUYZhc3H0.png

Oooooh boy, now THIS is the game where Namco hit the jackpot. I was still in the Middle East at the time and none of my friends had the PS2 until I got one in what I think was 2003. So I've been out of gaming for a VERY long time and I was mainly a Resident Evil/MGS/DMC fan at the time. But when I finally got to boot this up and play it with my new friends in highschool, we were in just gaming bliss.

None of us really know how to properly play the game like we could now with the resources like youtube and such to explain the resources. We'd just jump in the game and press stuff on the controller... and things would come out we had no idea was happening. Stuff like low-parries, tackle grabs, side-throws, tag specific launchers into blue sparks.. you name it. Tekken was always just a series with so many mechanics and intricacies that you could get lost in all of it. Tekken Tag was probably the most fun I had in casual gaming with friends in all my life. My parents never allowed me to see the Arcade scene so this was all I had.

iblls9qqNwYdSy.png

Since I got my PS2 when both TTT and T4 were out, I didn't get much playtime with T4. Everyone unanimously would rather indulge in TTT than touch T4. I followed along and didn't put that much into it BUT T4 still has something special for me.

The art-style was beautiful. The changes in character design was such a splendid sight. You'd see Paul have one costume with his trademark obnoxious hairstyle and Judo Gi, and then you'd have his alternate costume resembling a homeless drunkard suffering from depression. Same thing with Hwoarang having a military alternate outfit. These new outfits automatically told the story of these characters and it was so awesome to see. And Tekken 4 is the last Tekken that ever really tried to spice up its character design.

iD6SER5rXETSC.png

Now Tekken 5 was the series return to form. It had the responsiveness and flow as Tekken was pre-T4 and the day it came out, my high school friends jumped to the occasion to get it. I remember on the day it came out, I was rushing to the gamestore to purchase it and nearly getting run over by a car because I wouldn't look while crossing the street. But alas it was another number of year from 2005 till the end of 2006 that I really got have fun. But those sessions never reached the peaks of enjoyment I'd get from TTT.

And in 06 the new generation arrived and I didn't have a PS3 until 2009 when Tekken 6 came out on console. So I never did get to enjoy Tekken DR. But from what I heard it was the perfection of the Tekken 5 system. Heard the online was garbage though :p

iJkEeyyiX3GW3.png

Now Tekken 6 came and I'm in university living in Canada. Now I'm in an era where the internet was far more ubiquitous and I could learn so much about the games I loved and adored. It was now that I finally learned how to

iblrEOhKMox6AE.png

...talk about TTT2

iJUHA1ROJ0pYY.gif

--talk about favorite things I love about Tekken... favorite character, favorite stage, favorite music track, favorite ending, etc....

iibfQrbZWFsMB.gif

itUidz8ge7Dg7.png

-- talk about Tekken 7!

What he said.

Looks good. I had a similar reaction the first time I saw Yoshi's back throw too.

And side throws, in T3. Good times.

Here's hoping he's still around in T7.

I was into animating for some time, using Flipnote Studio on the DSi. I'm still waiting for Flipnote 3DS, which was supposed to come out August 2013, but yeah... Nintendo seems to forget us :/

Soo, after SF V PS4/PC cross platform Online announcement, do you think Tekken 7 will also support this (if it comes to PC)?

I think Tekken 7 is coming to PC . Namco wants to get it out to as many potential players as possible, but I am doubting it will have cross play. You never know though.

DEATH™

I'm laughing right now seeing people's reactions to this...

Then I remember that the legit fighters in the Tekken franchise is getting axed... I get sad again...

Oh well... TTT2 STILL BEST TEKKEN EVER

AAK

Sigh... today was a BAD day. Time to go get my clothes from the drier and sleep it off.

[truestory]
Platinum is the character that made me stop playing Blazblue
[/truestory]

I hope this character won't have the same effect on me. Please don't be as obnoxious as you potnetially can.... Her moves also look like a combination of Capo's + Bob. Truly is a nightmare-inducing collection.....

AAK

Wang can die.... boring character with a stupid safe mid hitting tracking low crush kick and his fire-ball invincible parry.

The ONLY respite I'm having right now is that the PC version will have mods. First thing we can do is mode the living crap out of her till she's no longer this Air-headed Retard Patient.

Or maybe they normalize her viability to hell so no one has to suffer unless it's their fault.

Or MAYBE I can convince the community to Ban her so I'll never have to see her again!

Wow am I salty.... haha... but THIS is not what I liked from the series!! Please throw a bone at us legacy players Harada... something new catering to us :(... like a Tag mode at least *batt eyes*

Manbig

Sigh... today was a BAD day. Time to go get my clothes from the drier and sleep it off.

[truestory]
Platinum is the character that made me stop playing Blazblue
[/truestory]

I hope this character won't have the same effect on me. Please don't be as obnoxious as you potnetially can.... Her moves also look like a combination of Capo's + Bob. Truly is a nightmare-inducing collection.....

It's happening to me right now man. They are REALLY testing my fucking limit with this garbage.

DEATH™

Wang can die.... boring character with a stupid safe mid hitting tracking low crush kick and his fire-ball invincible parry.

The ONLY respite I'm having right now is that the PC version will have mods. First thing we can do is mode the living crap out of her till she's no longer this Air-headed Retard Patient.

Or maybe they normalize her viability to hell so no one has to suffer unless it's their fault.

Or MAYBE I can convince the community to Ban her so I'll never have to see her again!

Wow am I salty.... haha... but THIS is not what I liked from the series!! Please throw a bone at us legacy players Harada... something new catering to us :(... like a Tag mode at least *batt eyes*

Wang is legit man... I can see you hating him though... He is a turtler's dream. Tried him couple of times and darn I can space with him alot... Its fun whiffpunishing with deathfist... and of course.... PARRY!

Also, you guys already said it. This is to attract new players! Who cares about us who's gonna stop gaming when the time comes?

Please tell me she's just a reskin of Lili, and/or just a joke char, like Gon.

Seriously, does Harada even care about this series any more?

I feel he's been slowly sabotaging his own project since TR. Maybe he's retiring soon and doesn't want to leave anything behind even remotely salvageable. He seems to enjoy pissing off his fans the last few years.

The only other thing I can figure is that he's under pressure from someone(s) to put out this garbage.

LOL these reactions.

Good write up AAK.

Anyway, Kirblar posted a special comment just for you Tekken fans commending your true heroic selves. :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142160254&postcount=2454
We are inbred apparently. I'm so pissed off at this comment, lol.
The inbred part is crass of course, but I agree with his take on the evolution of the series. I really do think Harada has finally lost touch with what has made Tekken good, by catering to all these weaboo virigin nerds. Oh well, I guess selling the soul of tekken is worth keeping it alive eh?

Sorry, but I'm feeling the rage bros.

Pachimari

All of you guys make me feel bad.

Lucky Chloe could very well become my favorite addition for a while.

I have had Marshall Law as my one of my mains since the very first Tekken and I'm even prepared to drop him for Lucky Chloe.

She looks AWESOME! Come on guys, give her a chance. :)

sasuke_91

Oh my gooood... please tell me this is not true.
I still haven't watched the trailer, nor have I watched anything that was shown earlier today. When I saw that picture I was like "costumize her and she'll look okay, nothing to worry about". But the way she acts is so... kawaii moe nyan nyan I want to vomit all over her face.
Please tell me this is a joke Harada. What you've done to Xiaoyu is already enough, don't drag the series down even more with your Idolmaster fetish!! >_<

Curse you Wonkey!!!!

I have a very bad habit of over-doing things and ends up taking 3x longer than it should haha.

Anyways... This was I did so far on the 20th anniversary thread before finding out Wonkey already made a thread
1 week ago!!!!!
:p

=======================================================

i7QAxBxdb5OIB.png

On December 7th, 1994, Namco released the original Tekken in arcades. Namco was heavily invested in development of 3D modeled videogames among them was a fighting game. And hence development of Tekken began. Here is probably the initial concept of what could have been Tekken:

tekken-rave-war-characters.jpg

Later the game was given the title "Rave-war" before eventually switching to the name "Tekken" which is pronunciation of the Japanese text: &#37444;&#25331; meaning "Iron Fist". As it started out it was a super small team with young Harada(#5 in the image below) and grew to become the highest selling fighting game IP in the market today with over 42 million sales accross its lifetime.

ibiod0pqCNFjd7.jpg

Tekken initially took the majority of its inspiration from Street Fighter, rather than Virtua Fighter because of various reasons. Tekken is a very unique fighting game because of how different it plays from all of the other major 3D fighting games being Soul Calibur/Virtua Fighter/Dead or Alive. First of all, it is the only one of those 3D fighters that doesn't have a block button and went with the street fighter method of holding back. Also, instead it's control are based completely upon the individual 4 limbs of the character rather a specific type of attack in the other games. While it makes movement extremely different, it made discerning attacks very intuitive because you could associate the animation occurring with a direction on the controller and pressing the button based on the limb you saw do the attack. And from this foundation Tekken evolved into the beast of the game it is today. I only truly understood Tekken's system when I put in time towards it in the Tekken 5 era but I'll briefly talk about my experiences with games that came out in their time frame:

ib1RWQw717QwqA.gif

ig1CLCdoeZOHw.png

Tekken 1 came out when I was 7 years old, and it was one of the 2 games I saw my family friend own when I first laid eyes on the console during a family visit (the second game was need for speed). Even after playing it, it was a basic 2D fighting game with no real sidestep.

But you could still see how Tekken did implement something special with their character designs. You had the typical hero/heroine characters with Kazuya & Chun Li. But what immediately stood out to me was Law being the first true Bruce Lee rip-off. With Jackie from VF being none Asian, and Fei Long's animation being limited to a 2D plane, the first true "Hey, that's Bruce Lee!" remark definitely came from Law.

iH79lVk1lf6mo.png

And then came Tekken 2.... I eventually got a PS1 from my dad (my first console!) around this time. My PS2 came with the Tekken 2 demo disk. I would play the hell out of that demo disk because now, it had Lei, the Jackie Chan look-alike. And randomly in one of my matches against Yoshimitsu, my back faced Yoshi and he grabbed and then I witnessed the Izuna drop!

After I saw that, I couldn't believe what I saw and I begged my parents to get me the Tekken 2 disc. After I got it I just had so much fun being 8 years old and just mashing kicks with Law all day and getting those CG endings. And eventually you'd unlock Baek and be wowed at what happened when mashing the X button!

iblKBFCGx83j5V.png

But now, here comes the revolution. Tekken 3 basically took the world by storm. Bear in mind I was living in Saudi Arabia at the time living in an American compound and I think every kid that had a Playstation in school and in the compound played and adored Tekken 3. This was the game that finally excelled the series into the 3rd dimension. The improvements on all the characters animations was explosive, and everything was grounded in a much more gritty fashion.

It just didn't stop there, the other huge thing was how they implemented a time-skip and you were playing as the progeny and protege's of Tekken 2's characters. It brought so much life into the lore of the series and I was hooked. I never did play with anyone else but I do remember myself just sitting there spending hours upon hours mashing buttons with different characters, getting their endings and revel in the spectacle of Tekken's graphics. It sure was a looker for the time as well. The music and Tekken Force mode were just icing's on the cake.

ibgmynUYZhc3H0.png

Oooooh boy, now THIS is the game where Namco hit the jackpot. I was still in the Middle East at the time and none of my friends had the PS2 until I got one in what I think was 2003. So I've been out of gaming for a VERY long time and I was mainly a Resident Evil/MGS/DMC fan at the time. But when I finally got to boot this up and play it with my new friends in highschool, we were in just gaming bliss.

None of us really know how to properly play the game like we could now with the resources like youtube and such to explain the resources. We'd just jump in the game and press stuff on the controller... and things would come out we had no idea was happening. Stuff like low-parries, tackle grabs, side-throws, tag specific launchers into blue sparks.. you name it. Tekken was always just a series with so many mechanics and intricacies that you could get lost in all of it. Tekken Tag was probably the most fun I had in casual gaming with friends in all my life. My parents never allowed me to see the Arcade scene so this was all I had.

iblls9qqNwYdSy.png

Since I got my PS2 when both TTT and T4 were out, I didn't get much playtime with T4. Everyone unanimously would rather indulge in TTT than touch T4. I followed along and didn't put that much into it BUT T4 still has something special for me.

The art-style was beautiful. The changes in character design was such a splendid sight. You'd see Paul have one costume with his trademark obnoxious hairstyle and Judo Gi, and then you'd have his alternate costume resembling a homeless drunkard suffering from depression. Same thing with Hwoarang having a military alternate outfit. These new outfits automatically told the story of these characters and it was so awesome to see. And Tekken 4 is the last Tekken that ever really tried to spice up its character design.

iD6SER5rXETSC.png

Now Tekken 5 was the series return to form. It had the responsiveness and flow as Tekken was pre-T4 and the day it came out, my high school friends jumped to the occasion to get it. I remember on the day it came out, I was rushing to the gamestore to purchase it and nearly getting run over by a car because I wouldn't look while crossing the street. But alas it was another number of year from 2005 till the end of 2006 that I really got have fun. But those sessions never reached the peaks of enjoyment I'd get from TTT.

And in 06 the new generation arrived and I didn't have a PS3 until 2009 when Tekken 6 came out on console. So I never did get to enjoy Tekken DR. But from what I heard it was the perfection of the Tekken 5 system. Heard the online was garbage though :p

iJkEeyyiX3GW3.png

Now Tekken 6 came and I'm in university living in Canada. Now I'm in an era where the internet was far more ubiquitous and I could learn so much about the games I loved and adored. It was now that I finally learned how to

iblrEOhKMox6AE.png

...talk about TTT2

iJUHA1ROJ0pYY.gif

--talk about favorite things I love about Tekken... favorite character, favorite stage, favorite music track, favorite ending, etc....

iibfQrbZWFsMB.gif

itUidz8ge7Dg7.png

-- talk about Tekken 7!

Excellent job on this. Very interesting and informative. Looks like a lot of work went into this. I never seen that Early Tekken pic before. You should still use it for something.

I hope the capos was not axed in favor of this abomination. She certainly has that double flip and that move that looks like a throw that was in chreddy's team winpose.

Dereck

Now that we've gotten the knee jerk reactions out of the way (me included), let's sit back and try to discuss the reasoning behind the character.

Posting in the OT because I'm not going into gaming with people who don't play Tekken anyway

Why put this character in the game? Is it really going to make casual players want to play the game? I ask this because Tekken already has respectable characters similar to Chloe, with the moe factor toned down several notches, Lili, Ling, Alisa, why aren't these character sufficient? These characters are all in there late teens by this point in the series, so they barely qualify.

She looks similar to Marie Rose, why? I feel like if this isn't a marketing decision, then it is a pointless decision. There is no other reason for Chloe's existence other than to appeal to a wider audience. Right?

Now that we've gotten the knee jerk reactions out of the way (me included), let's sit back and try to discuss the reasoning behind the character.

Posting in the OT because I'm not going into gaming with people who don't play Tekken anyway

Why put this character in the game? Is it really going to make casual players want to play the game? I ask this because Tekken already has respectable characters similar to Chloe, with the moe factor toned down several notches, Lili, Ling, Alisa, why aren't these character sufficient? These characters are all in there late teens by this point in the series, so they barely qualify.

She looks similar to Marie Rose, why? I feel like if this isn't a marketing decision, then it is a pointless decision. There is no other reason for Chloe's existence other than to appeal to a wider audience. Right?

But who exactly is this going for? so far it is panned by fans. I wonder if the GP will care or even like this themselves.
As you said, we already have Alisa,ling and Lili what is the point?

I wonder if this was something Harada wanted in because it's part of his love for idolmaster.

There's really not much to talk about though. Terrible unnecessarily moe character? Yes

Thing is..this doesn't change what T7 is unless you just care about the characters that much and since I'm going into his game without a main pretty much unless Lee gets confirmed, I'm surprisingly fine with the game so far. I don't really get all of these feelings people have so far. Not saying you can't be mad its just I don't see the point.

Lars looks dope though.

Dereck

I don't really get all of these feelings people have so far. Not saying you can't be mad its just I don't see the point.
The only effect Chloe will have on the game is just dealing with her as a character, that's really it. The anger stems from series attachment, but yeah, I wouldn't say that my dislike for her is "logical".

The only effect Chloe will have on the game is just dealing with her as a character, that's really it. The anger stems from series attachment, but yeah, I wouldn't say that my dislike for her is "logical".

So there isn't really point of talking about her like she's a game changer. Its like "Ok bad character here...next." That series attachment does more harm than good when it comes to having a more clear view at things. Of course a lot of the reaction was kneejerk and folks will come to their senses but damn its not worth getting up in arms about in the grand scheme of T7.

sasuke_91

I'm really not sure why he felt like this was a good decision. Harada always liked the girls and wanted them to look cuter. This shit is over the top.
Does he really expect the Otakus to like Tekken because of this? "Hey, I'll buy Tekken and I'll totally make Lucky Chloe my waifu". Okay, maybe this isn't even as unrealistic, but it's not what Tekken needs.
My thoughts are a bit... unorganized, but I hope you get what I want to say. Tekken doesn't have to appeal to everyone and I feel like this is going to discourage more people in their decision to buy Tekken than the other way around.

Dereck

So there isn't really point of talking about her like she's a game changer. Its like "Ok bad character here...next." That series attachment does more harm than good when it comes to having a more clear view at things. Of course a lot of the reaction was kneejerk and folks will come to their senses but damn its not worth getting up in arms about in the grand scheme of T7.
People wanna talk about it, regardless of there being a point or not.

Top Bottom