• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

LowParry

After the outrage at the beginning, now the Japanese and Koreans aren't concerned with Solo at all.
Tag just gives so many options and set ups it outplays solo.

Don't worry, we will get there eventually. I can only destroy shitty players while solo, good ones will put so much pressure with 2 characters that will eventually my guessing to go all wrong.

That sounds good. I'm not overly concerned with the solo option. I just hate the fact that I die so quickly from it because right now it feels like the cheese option. Time to level up my game.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Zlatko and Gr1mLock. Just some quick mesh work. Hope that's what you're looking for. And why Kaz needs a handgun is beyond me. The guy shoots freaking laser beams from his head and flies.

NELhH.jpg
tWZVG.jpg

Thank you sir. Will change it as soon as i get home.

McNum

So, going to start playing the game a bit more tomorrow, really try to dig in. But when I look at the character select screen, I just... can't decide.

Who's good to relearn Tekken with? Jin? Jun?

Also, I think my preferred fighting game style is having some big threatening move, but then playing around that. To borrow a Street Fighter example, since I know a bit of that. Zangief threatens piledriver all the time. If you're in arm's reach, you're in trouble. So even if he never gets a piledriver, he's still menacing. Plus he has some really long pokes. Who's the character who does something similar in Tekken? A Mishima threatening God Fist, perhaps? Who's a good poker?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Is there an easier notation for Nina's starter to her secret combo with Anna?

D/B, Qcf, D/B+2+3 seems way to awkward.

Customization is disappointing in this game. You basically just buy complete outfits. I've already bought all the ones I like for Paul and Lili so I have nothing to spend money on. All those items you can hold and special auras look stupid.

If you buy stuff for characters can play 2 use them in versus?

LowParry

Customization is disappointing in this game. You basically just buy complete outfits. I've already bought all the ones I like for Paul and Lili so I have nothing to spend money on. All those items you can hold and special auras look stupid.

Agreed. It's nice to unlock the older costumes but the options are pretty poor. Is there a complete list anywhere of all the unlocks?

and what's the deal with the dresses with animal paw gloves? Why can't Lili just wear the dress without the whack Japanese fetish paws? Get out of here.

mephie

Neo Member
So, going to start playing the game a bit more tomorrow, really try to dig in. But when I look at the character select screen, I just... can't decide.

Who's good to relearn Tekken with? Jin? Jun?

Also, I think my preferred fighting game style is having some big threatening move, but then playing around that. To borrow a Street Fighter example, since I know a bit of that. Zangief threatens piledriver all the time. If you're in arm's reach, you're in trouble. So even if he never gets a piledriver, he's still menacing. Plus he has some really long pokes. Who's the character who does something similar in Tekken? A Mishima threatening God Fist, perhaps? Who's a good poker?

With the size of the movesets, everyone seems to have some decent pokes. I would suggest trying combinations with King and Armor King because their giant swing and chain throws definitely fulfill the threatening requirement. There are probably better pokers in the cast, but pulling off one of the high damage throws is a good way to encourage your opponent to keep their distance for the rest of the match.

McNum

With the size of the movesets, everyone seems to have some decent pokes. I would suggest trying combinations with King and Armor King because their giant swing and chain throws definitely fulfill the threatening requirement. There are probably better pokers in the cast, but pulling off one of the high damage throws is a good way to encourage your opponent to keep their distance for the rest of the match.
Hmm, I kind of like the idea of trying out King. I suppose that after showing that, yes, I know how to Giant Swing, it'll give King some breathing room. Which, of course means I need a partner who loves breathing room. King still threatens off screen. He's just a button away, right?

I'll try and see what I have. Maybe Xiayou could be fun with King. No idea if there's a good synergy, but Xiayou likes setup time and feinting, if I remember right. Feint, tag, swing. Might be an idea. I'll try some stuff out. It wouldn't be bad to have 3-4 characters to pick from anyway. Kunimitsu is also worth checking out, perhaps. I wanted Angel, but i got the other pack. Might as well give it a go.

Of course, the King plan relies on one thing: I have to learn Giant Swing.

AAK

Damn... looks like it's time to learn pad for now. My arcade stick's /\ button is dying. Doesn't work every 5 button presses for like 3-4 secs. This is some divine intervention here where I'm getting punished for skipping school on the release day :(

OH well, time to look online on how to replace buttons for my stick :/

Also, CSX's AKing+Mishima play is twice the level of mine!

Solo play is looked down on? Idk. I play solo Paul mostly. I was getting mopped by double mishima teams last night, haha.

I don't like what hey did with Julia/Jc. Will probably settle with forest with paul. Wang is looking good to me too. Heh. Wang.

.shin

Banned
Y'know, I thought that this time around, Online wise, I'd be really good and have no problems.

But instead I'm getting beaten left and right by everyone. Noobs, pros, etc. I give up lol.

EDIT: nevermind I'm kicking slight ass now

Man everyone using Bryan it seems like. It's nice that there is such a varied cast to play against, I just wish I was getting matches quicker. Got paired up faster in VF5

Onemic

What type of player are Raven and Eddy? These are now my mains, and I have no idea how to play them exactly. Im currently utilizing my Tekken 3 method of rolling my hand over the buttons and hoping for cool stuff to come out.

Man everyone using Bryan it seems like. It's nice that there is such a varied cast to play against, I just wish I was getting matches quicker. Got paired up faster in VF5

This was my only gripe with SCV online. Too bad TTT2 is having similar issues, since I'm sure there are plenty of people out there to play atm (I actually haven't gone online yet lololol). At least you get to smack Mokujin around while you wait instead of staring at a searching box.

Uraizen

Banned
Okay, so even since I fought my friend who claimed to be getting lucky boxes every single time during ghost battle on PS3, I've had the exact same luck. I get a lucky box after every single battle, this can't be normal ... is it? The same thing has happened to everybody who fought him as well.

EDIT: And, of course, as soon as I post this that streak ends. =( That went on for about 30 or so battles, though.

DSix

Banned
omfg at all these jun players already doing juggles.

looking at you DSix. Kicked my ass lol
Haha, yeah I love Jun, two days in and I already play her better than most of my secondary characters. I feel a great synergy with her and Asuka.

...but for the love of god I cannot pull off EWGF. I always seem to hit 2 (triangle) too late and do a normal non-electric fist. Anyone have some tips for me? I'm playing on a ps3 pad.
This is the main reason I ceased to play any mishimas since Tekken 5. You cannot perform EWGFs reliably without an arcade stick (it is really impossible otherwise). I'm a long time dualshock player, so I had to let it go.

I really can't get the hang of tag combos. :/ Currently, the most damaging thing in my arsenal is a 87 dmg Kuni solo combo. I know with a team I can do a lot better than that, but I get confused when both characters are on screen.

Anyone know a nice combo involving Kunimitsu? She's partnered with Feng at the moment, but he's never been the best juggler.

CSX

This is the main reason I ceased to play any mishimas since Tekken 5. You cannot perform EWGFs reliably without an arcade stick (it is really impossible otherwise). I'm a long time dualshock player, so I had to let it go.

To add on, once you finally tackle EWGF...then you gotta learn it on the other side. Its a whole other beast. The noob way of learning ewgf is just doing the inputs as fast as possible.

Once you got that, then its time to actually learn the timing.

btw, doing ewgfs in 1-2 bar connections = IMPOSSSIBIRU

DR2K

Banned
Watching my 13 year old brother wail on scrubs with Devil Jin's eye laser.

Just saw a devil jin mirror where they only shot lasers at each other. best match ever.

LowParry

I really can't get the hang of tag combos. :/ Currently, the most damaging thing in my arsenal is a 87 dmg Kuni solo combo. I know with a team I can do a lot better than that, but I get confused when both characters are on screen.

Anyone know a nice combo involving Kunimitsu? She's partnered with Feng at the moment, but he's never been the best juggler.

Not sure with Feng. But if you have Kuni on point, you have a lot of launch options. Just to name a few. (Team combos with Kuni can range from 70 to 100 damage.)

d/f+2
u/f+3 (which you can continue into u/f+3,4)
3, 3 (if they don't block low, d+1, WS+1,1 B!)

Tag combos I'm sure you already know. Her finishers depend. Probably her best that I know so far is her f,f+(3+4), 4, 2. What else you got that involves Kuni? I'm always up for some suggestions. I think Kuni is turning into one of my mains for sure.

Shouta

Really digging Leo but man, my Kuma is sucking right now. Need to get into Tekken mode for him. I'm still in SFxT mode for him. Definitely want to learn some other characters to swap in and out though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

The way tag assault combos work is once your partner comes in you get one move/string to do. Soon as you input the string wrong or finish it control goes right back to you.

Really digging Leo but man, my Kuma is sucking right now. Need to get into Tekken mode for him. I'm still in SFxT mode for him. Definitely want to learn some other characters to swap in and out though.
Your bear can rot in hell stay shitty with him forever kthx :D

CSX

your kuma is sucking cuz its not teamed up with Panda :D

Watching my 13 year old brother wail on scrubs with Devil Jin's eye laser.

Just saw a devil jin mirror where they only shot lasers at each other. best match ever.

scrubs online exist ??!!!

and that does sound like the best match ever

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks

The key is to hit d/f and 2 at the same time. Notation should be f,N,d,d/f+2.

As mentioned above, hitting d/f AND 2 at the same time is important. But also sliding d,d/f is just as important. Just practice and work on precision (it's not a slop move or something you can mash out).

Degen

good stuff, PSN warriors

I think I used a couple of moves that I didn't know Jinpachi had. That happens a lot lol

can anyone tell me how to do lili/ asuka secret tag move? thanks.
you mean the throws?

with Asuka: back+1+2, tag

with Lili: down/forward+1+2, tag

I have yet to learn a good tag combo, so in the rare situation when I actually try to do one, I just launch with King and hold the tag button during the bound (instead of just pressing it) so the computer controls the partner. It's obviously not gonna be the best combo a team can do, but the right partner will set up some free running air throws and wall throws which is cool

To add on, once you finally tackle EWGF...then you gotta learn it on the other side. Its a whole other beast. The noob way of learning ewgf is just doing the inputs as fast as possible.

Once you got that, then its time to actually learn the timing.

btw, doing ewgfs in 1-2 bar connections = IMPOSSSIBIRU

I hope you guys know that having a stick doesn't make anything easier. It's a personal choice. Frankly, I can only do it on the pad, but it's difference for everyone.

DSix

Banned

As mentioned above, hitting d/f AND 2 at the same time is important. But also sliding d,d/f is just as important. Just practice and work on precision (it's not a slop move or something you can mash out).

Yes. Even me I can do it quite easily on an arcade stick, but I know nobody who can perform it as reliably on the dualshock.

Not sure with Feng. But if you have Kuni on point, you have a lot of launch options. Just to name a few. (Team combos with Kuni can range from 70 to 100 damage.)

d/f+2
u/f+3 (which you can continue into u/f+3,4)
3, 3 (if they don't block low, d+1, WS+1,1 B!)

Tag combos I'm sure you already know. Her finishers depend. Probably her best that I know so far is her f,f+(3+4), 4, 2. What else you got that involves Kuni? I'm always up for some suggestions. I think Kuni is turning into one of my mains for sure.

How do you combo off 3,3? I can't stand up quick enough for the d+1 to connect.

I never thought of doing u/f+3,4 after a launcher. Much easier than using f3+4. Thanks :)

b3+4 is nice combo starter, but it comes out a little slow.

Onemic

I think I've settled on my official team now. I think. I hope.

And I think I understand what IGN was saying about Combot not being that good of a training mode, because it isn't. It's essentially a mini tutorial like that seen in blazblue or Persona and has no info on specific characters. Bounds on combot aren't the same as bounds with Heihachi, as they're mapped to different controls. Same goes with launchers and all the other stuff it goes over. beyond the very basics of the game, it doesn't do much if at all to help newbies learn getting around the game. Having a mission/trials section on each character on top of the combot stuff would have been MUCH more effective at allowing new players to learn the ropes. Even by itself it would be better than combot, because at least with that you would get a sense of how each person plays, their general style, and fundamentals of combos even if they are inefficient.(like 99% of trial combos are) Playing through combot I still don't know jack shit about this game, except how to play with Combot.

Well off to training mode and Tekken Zaibatsu with Eddy and Feng.

DR2K

Banned
Rematch options online must be hard to develop. The more I play online the more it feels like button dialer simulator than a fighting game.

And I think I understand what IGN was saying about Combot not being that good of a training mode, because it isn't. It's essentially a mini tutorial like that seen in blazblue or Persona and has no info on specific characters. Bounds on combot aren't the same as bounds with Heihachi, as they're mapped to different controls. Same goes with launchers and all the other stuff it goes over. beyond the very basics of the game, it doesn't do much if at all to help newbies learn getting around the game. Having a mission/trials section on each character on top of the combot stuff would have been MUCH more effective at allowing new players to learn the ropes. Even by itself it would be better than combot, because at least with that you would get a sense of how each person plays, their general style, and fundamentals of combos even if they are inefficient.(like 99% of trial combos are) Playing through combot I still don't know jack shit about this game, except how to play with Combot.

Trials do help, but missions...eh. Really, the best way someone is going to learn fighting games is to commit. Combot is a terrible training mode, but it's really hard to teach someone how to play these games.

VF does a pretty good job of it, but the misapplication of such moves are more important than the notations. Yeah, throwing out a poke to stop some rushdown is great, but learning when to is better. Until we hit next-gen, and the developers can put some internet functions within their games, alongside a tutorial that goes through many basic things, newbies are just going to have to use the forums and stuff.

I don't mean to sound evil. It's better than what we had years ago, where sites were more focused on fan-fics, hentai, and spouting the same movelist everywhere.

Onemic

Trials do help, but missions...eh. Really, the best way someone is going to learn fighting games is to commit. Combot is a terrible training mode, but it's really hard to teach someone how to play these games.

VF does a pretty good job of it, but the misapplication of such moves are more important than the notations. Yeah, throwing out a poke to stop some rushdown is great, but learning when to is better. Until we hit next-gen, and the developers can put some internet functions within their games, alongside a tutorial that goes through many basic things, newbies are just going to have to use the forums and stuff.

I don't mean to sound evil. It's better than what we had years ago, where sites were more focused on fan-fics, hentai, and spouting the same movelist everywhere.

Trials and missions are the same to me. I mean like the SF4 and persona trials and stuff(they're called missions for Marvel I think)

But if they at least had that it would be much better than stupid combot. As it stands someone new to the game would have to use Tekken Zaibatsu or some other forum/wiki that deals with the intricacies of the game system to even do anything.

Yeah combot mode is shit. However, there are some decent combos at the end of everybody's movelist in practice mode.

Uncle AJ

It still boggles my mind that anyone can pull off electrics with any degree of consistency... then again it boggles my mind how anyone pulls off one-frame links in SF4. My brain must just not process it fast enough to do anything at 1/60th of a second precision.

Makoto

Combot's flaws are especially true after watching the Level Up Your Game tutorials. To be very honest, I don't know why people got up in arms about the IGN review. It's actually a very safe review and besides, IGN's target market isn't the niche fighting game community (which is undoubtedly already getting their impressions/reviews of games from sources within the fighting community), it's those casual players who are thinking dipping of into a fighter they may or may not be familiar with and in that regard, the review does it's job.

CSX

It still boggles my mind that anyone can pull off electrics with any degree of consistency... then again it boggles my mind how anyone pulls off one-frame links in SF4. My brain must just not process it fast enough to do anything at 1/60th of a second precision.

you either learn to time it or tell your mind to press the 2 before the df which can work most of the time.

Trials and missions are the same to me. I mean like the SF4 and persona trials and stuff(they're called missions for Marvel I think)

But if they at least had that it would be much better than stupid combot. As it stands someone new to the game would have to use Tekken Zaibatsu or some other forum/wiki that deals with the intricacies of the game system to even do anything.

That's the thing; if someone wants to be competent against other people/harder AI, they'd have to learn the system. While I think the game should teach everyone how to play better, I also don't mind that those who want to get even semi-serious will do some research. It's better than having people praised for mashing out shit.

You really don't have to know much more than the basic to do alright online. If you want to beat those that have put in work, well, you gotta put in work too. No game should completely close the gap between a Day 1 guy and a dude who's been playing Tekken all his life.

What it should do is teach Day 1 guy how to freaking block.

Top Bottom