• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Onemic

You need to hit d/f and 4 at the same time. If I understand correctly it is slightly easier to do from RFF stance than LFF.

Is just frame sky rocket a requirement to be good with Hwoarang? I don't see myself learning it to the point of it being second nature for a very, very, very long time.

AAK

AAK, you settin u the GAF WTF team?

I still can't even set up a WTF account LOL. No matter what username I give for a Bandai Namco ID it says someone else has already used it. No idea what I'm supposed to do.

Regardless, Life stuff in the way right now.... won't be able to touch the game until Monday night.

By the way, I just read onemic's post, I'll try to answer your concern about Tekken.

Truth be told, doing a character 101 isn't the right way to learn Tekken. Yes like you said about KOF, Blazblue, GG, SF, etc. it's much easier to grasp because everything is in a 2D plain. The core mechanics of movement and hitting your opponent are pretty much binary compared to the completely analogue features in Tekken. Hence, that's why everyone that like Me, Aris, LYUG crew, etc. are all concentrating on explaining the CORE mechanics first rather than straight away jumping to character 101's. We do that because every character in this game pretty much practices realistic martial arts (with a few obvious exceptions). EVERY character then applies these core mechanics to the game. Hence when you watch those explanations on LYUG where they try to explain about the high/mid/low mind game, you go and try to find what moves apply. When they try to explain the tag assault system and how bound moves do so and so, you go to your character and experiment.

Yes Tekken is harder to explain and the fight lab mode is useless. But TZ.com has a legend and wiki that DeathTM did a fabulous job explaining. I don't like how you're pasting us as the least friendly community. Ask us here before judging everyone and you'll see why once you see the LYUG tutorials + top 10 moves simultaneously is somewhat a starting point. You'll see based on those move's frame data, range, hit properties, or whatever why they are good. Maybe things aren't spelled out for you all completely and spoonfed... but if you're going to play a game, you should do some experimentation by yourself when you see those posts.

So seriously man, ask away, I mean there are other guys on GAF like Doomshine, Sayah, CSX, MarkMan, DeathTM, others all who can rip me apart in this game showing they all have knowledge and also provide their advice.

Vodh

Does the "We are Tekken" edition come with the preorder bonuses regardless of when it was bought or are the preorder bonuses exclusive for preorders?

thundr51

Ah, well, the only way to get the endings it to power through arcade mode, right?
Also, what's a Lucky Box?

I think I might try out some online tomorrow with a Ling King team. It's as good a place to start as any, I suppose.

You can get endings in Ghost battle as well. I have Heihachi's and I KNOW I have finished the game with him yet.

When playing ghost mode look for the matches with the golden background. If you win you will get items/lucky box/endings.

CSX

Just be aware you'll have to send out invites individually. Not sure why Namco didn't just add a "Join Team" button to the team site. :\

Well if i can copy and paste everyone from the PSN gaf group then im fine. Will take about 10 minutes.

Someone said you cant have 360 and ps3 players on same team so someone gotta do TeamName"-360" for the other team. But hey, less players to add :p

Edit : skimmed through a Gamefaqs thread. Stated that you can only join one team.

McNum

You can get endings in Ghost battle as well. I have Heihachi's and I KNOW I have finished the game with him yet.

When playing ghost mode look for the matches with the golden background. If you win you will get items/lucky box/endings.
Okay, maybe I should try out Ghost Battle. I got a Lucky Box for beating Arcade Mode, had Fight Money in it. 50,000 or something like that. Nice, but not spectacular.

I'm glad I don't have to beat Arcade mode with every single character to get the endings. I like the Tekken endings, they're usually pretty good. But there are so many characters in this game...

Onemic

I still can't even set up a WTF account LOL. No matter what username I give for a Bandai Namco ID it says someone else has already used it. No idea what I'm supposed to do.

Regardless, Life stuff in the way right now.... won't be able to touch the game until Monday night.

By the way, I just read onemic's post, I'll try to answer your concern about Tekken.

Truth be told, doing a character 101 isn't the right way to learn Tekken. Yes like you said about KOF, Blazblue, GG, SF, etc. it's much easier to grasp because everything is in a 2D plain. The core mechanics of movement and hitting your opponent are pretty much binary compared to the completely analogue features in Tekken. Hence, that's why everyone that like Me, Aris, LYUG crew, etc. are all concentrating on explaining the CORE mechanics first rather than straight away jumping to character 101's. We do that because every character in this game pretty much practices realistic martial arts (with a few obvious exceptions). EVERY character then applies these core mechanics to the game. Hence when you watch those explanations on LYUG where they try to explain about the high/mid/low mind game, you go and try to find what moves apply. When they try to explain the tag assault system and how bound moves do so and so, you go to your character and experiment.

Yes Tekken is harder to explain and the fight lab mode is useless. But TZ.com has a legend and wiki that DeathTM did a fabulous job explaining. I don't like how you're pasting us as the least friendly community. Ask us here before judging everyone and you'll see why once you see the LYUG tutorials + top 10 moves simultaneously is somewhat a starting point. You'll see based on those move's frame data, range, hit properties, or whatever why they are good. Maybe things aren't spelled out for you all completely and spoonfed... but if you're going to play a game, you should do some experimentation by yourself when you see those posts.

So seriously man, ask away, I mean there are other guys on GAF like Doomshine, Sayah, CSX, MarkMan, DeathTM, others all who can rip me apart in this game showing they all have knowledge and also provide their advice.

I think I've asked questions regarding the basic ins and outs of certain characters like 5 or more times and not a single person had answered until just recently lol. I picked up the Prima guide today anyway so all is good as my questions are pretty much all answered there.

And every game whether it be 2D or 3D all apply a certain core element that is universal among all characters. GG has roman cancels, burst, etc. so it's not like there isn't a bunch of universal elements to 2D fighting games that cannot be applied to all characters because there is. However you can't just have that and not have info on characters that people actually want to use, because the bound system isn't one universal input that is the same across all characters, punishers aren't the same across all characters, tag assaults aren't the same across all teams, etc. this is why the combot feature is shit because it makes it appear as such. At some point you have to go past the core features and into the characters themselves, because they all control extremely differently from one another especially if you like the more eccentric characters. The 3D aspect also can't be used as an excuse when VF, a game that has a weird reputation of being the hardest and most difficult fighter to learn have all that aforementioned information on top of general chracter rundowns all in one place, not spread out and not hidden through advanced character discussion. I was able to get more info on the general mechanics of VF including character basics(ie what a characters general playstyle is) in one day than TTT2 or even T6 in 4 days. I'm just saying that the information is extremely spread out so getting that information for a newbie is pretty hard if they dont have something like the gaf OT to have everything in one place. If I never went on gaf I wouldn't even know about LUYG or the other bundle of resources all dealing with different elements of the core system.

All I'm saying is that the barrier to entry for Tekken is extremely high and will probably prevent more new players from taking the plunge or just sticking with the game due to how spread out the info on the game is and the little to no information available for how to use characters. It's an issue that TTT2 has probably made worse instead of better due to added mechanics, which is a shame because I really like the game and I'm sure there are other Tekken newbies that would love to play as well, but don't or stop playing simply because they are so dissuaded due to how many hoops they need to jump through to get the info they want unless they go get the guide or something. I guess you could call it a knock on the community if you want to look at it that way, but it's more of just identifying an issue that the community has been complaining about for years and explaining why it's such. Sure I can look at frame data and top 10 moves, but I still have no context as to when they should be used. You can say you should go experiment, but it's just admitting to another barrier of entry toward a game that isn't inviting to newbies. I shouldn't have to buy a guide to find out that Jin's strengths are his poking, consistent wall carry ability, and CH's while his weakness is low damage and I shouldn't be told to go training mode to find it out myself either. It should be readily available within the community if I look for it, which is not the case for Tekken.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm actually going to have to go with a pad playing this. No charge characters so I can play with my natural preference.

I didn't do much yet besides add tunes and stuff. Tekken tunes is the greatest thing to happen to Fighting Games in terms of options. Being able to completely customize the game with different music is something fighting games should have done ages ago.

Will probably have a lobby going on after AS. As soon as I popped the game in, I got a bunch of invites. Sorry guys, not now.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Good God, anyone having trouble linking their Xbox Live account with WTF? My PSN account links fine.

This may be dumb but is your xbox on and at the code screen while you're trying to enter it on the website?

This morning I couldn't get it to take the code, then tried while double checking the code in the game itself. And it worked.

Is WTF watching for the game to be logged into Namco's servers when linking accounts?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
This may be dumb but is your xbox on and at the code screen while you're trying to enter it on the website?

This morning I couldn't get it to take the code, then tried while double checking the code in the game itself. And it worked.

Is WTF watching for the game to be logged into Namco's servers when linking accounts?

That's stupid. Why can't I just log in with my Xbox Live account when I can do so with my PSN account?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
MarkMan, if you're reading this, I have a suggestion.

I'd like to see a dedicated WTF app for smartphones, so I can check my record, build a friends list view happenings in the community, buy merch, and other stuff on the go. Pass that on to Harada-san, please.

CSX

All right, finally done with homework. Still need a team name for PSN team...

Apparently, you got a limited choice of words to describe your team's attitude, goal, and conditions.

I got

Attitude : Relaxed

Goal : Strengthen
Team

Conditions : Anyone
Welcome

If yall are ok with that, then i need a name and hopefully, i can just start copying and pasting everyone on the google doc

What's the third option in the Tekken Tunes list? I know the four ones that are locked at the end of the list are for the four DLC stages, but I have a fifth locked choice at the very beginning of the list.

Is it related to online? I haven't played any online matches yet, but I have other online music tracks available to change...

Lockon

First time in here!

Game is so much fun, but I'm not so good. And got my first hate mail today even though he won lol

he was telling me to learn combos, and complaining about using Alisa's rocket punch. He took like 7 times during the match rofl.

Here's my WTF page: http://wtf.tekken.com/playercard/view/ps3/kyokunaki

My PS3 overheated during my last match and I was winning too :/

What's the third option in the Tekken Tunes list? I know the four ones that are locked at the end of the list are for the four DLC stages, but I have a fifth locked choice at the very beginning of the list.

Is it related to online? I haven't played any online matches yet, but I have other online music tracks available to change...
Did you use your online pass on the back of the manual? See if that does anything.

LOL P.Jack is amazing. I'm falling in love with every character I try. Mixing and matching teams and experimenting with combos is so much fun. I've already put over 25 hours into this.

Easily the best fighitng game this gen, maybe of all time for me.

Esura

Banned
I got my ass whooped by a solo Ling. It was close though. Pretty dope. That fight made me a Ling Ling believer.

Online is smooth as hell. Feels almost like playing offline. My Asuka/Jun team is weak as hell.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I feel like a million bucks. Today was my daughter's 11th birthday and I had a great time with friends. Now I'm packing for a long trip to Tokyo and some other travels afterwards. I'm going to miss my home even though I've done this trip a hundred times before.

Happy Birthday to my lil' girl! <3

419102_10151075871618883_2088839784_n.jpg

539362_10151075871748883_1889612146_n.jpg

384253_10151075871813883_81100616_n.jpg

Next important thing? TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 IN TOKYO.

At the Mad Catz booth we'll have FRB AO and NoRespect Nobi & Yuu knoccin em down all week at TGS! - http://www.madcatz.com/tokyo-game-show-2012/

Esura

Banned
Awwww. Reminds me I need to take pictures with my fams more often.

Also, why don't anyone like that Snoop song? Sounds awesome.

Esura

Banned
Whats with all these pair play teams that actually coordinate combos and know what they're doing???!!

Everyone I'm playing against is either soloing and playing really weird or only using one person in their team without switching. I was expecting to get perfected online with the way people was talking about it.

EDIT: Nevermind, scratch that. Got torn up by a 1st Dan. Its cool though. :(

Esura

Banned
Whats up with this Kazuya player refusing to tag in Jun and just constantly spam that whirlwind kick? He got me a few rounds with that, but fool me once...not again (something like that).

I picked up a copy today, my first Tekken since 4. What are some good characters/teams to start off with?

Some characters are more mash friendly than others (Lili, Christ/Eddy), but really, anyone who doesn't have a dozen different stances will be easy enough to learn. All characters can be competitive, so just go with whoever clicks.

I've been using Jun/Ancient Ogre today and found this be a fun team. :3

Top Bottom