• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

Trouble is I can't read the animation on them yet, wonder how bad lag affects that too.. hrm.

I've been stupid not using Kuni's 1+2 too, thing is magical against spammers.

Yeah, tackles and moves that crush lows are always good to use. Which is why I rely heavily on f+2+3 and u+3 with Anna and u/f+3 with Nina.

Just makes me upset that Nina's slap got nerfed. It was so great for just dashing underneath some high attacks and led to a good amount of juggle damage. And if it had still served as a launcher, I could have done more creative things with Tag combos.

just went back and watched my very first online TTT2 match. it was boutdown's Laws vs my King/Jaycee and it was Most Professional

not like these sayah fights let me tell you

lol

Gambit61

Anyone know if there's a trick to getting those special victory poses? I was playing King/Armor King/Marduk all night yesterday and didn't get a single one. Even with tag combos I was getting the generic stare downs. Also, are character panels are unlocked in ghost battle/arcade? I have nearly 30 hours in the game with zero panels unlocked lol.

Sayah

DEATH™;42392990 said:
Yeah... that's a bit depressing... It says alot about the economy these days... I hope the game will pick up on other countries though...

Yeah, hoping it sells more in Europe.

Sayah

Anyone know if there's a trick to getting those special victory poses? I was playing King/Armor King/Marduk all night yesterday and didn't get a single one. Even with tag combos I was getting the generic stare downs. Also, are character panels are unlocked in ghost battle/arcade? I have nearly 30 hours in the game with zero panels unlocked lol.

Just play through Ghost battle with whichever characters you want to unlock panels with. You'll get some lucky boxes with bonus content. Go to customization and check to see if you have the panels unlocked.

And with special victory poses, they are random as far as I know. I see the Nina/Anna one here and there.

Edit: DP agaaain. :/

Gambit61

Just play through Ghost battle with whichever characters you want to unlock panels with. You'll get some lucky boxes with bonus content. Go to customization and check to see if you have the panels unlocked.

And with special victory poses, they are random as far as I know. I see the Nina/Anna one here and there.

Edit: DP agaaain. :/

Cool, I'll try unlocking some later. I just wish you could hold down a button or something to choose your victory poses, a lot of them look so cool lol. I've been trying to get the DJ/Hwa one for the past few days as well, with no luck. :(

A.E Suggs

Looks as if the early numbers are up for TTT2. Interesting that the sales seem pretty much identical in NA and Japan. I'm hoping this game does at least a million in the first four weeks.

This I don't understand at all. Why aren't the U.S numbers higher than this for a game like this and he did everything the fans asked for. See shit like this is why developers don't really listen to the fans people want but they don't put money down to show for it.

Well, just googled the sales and those are quite depressing even if the game is at the top of the charts.

Well, Law's low sweep isn't as bad as Bryan or Anna. Thankfully, Lili's got nerfed. But all of them can be punished on block.

I really feel like more low sweeps should work like Armor King's db3. It should only trip on counter hit.

zlatko

Banned
Anyone have an example of a "GREAT" combo I could do? I thought at first it was just doing a certain # of hits, but when I got a 14 hit combo and it didn't unlock the achievement/trophy, I knew it was something else.

Anyone have an example of a "GREAT" combo I could do? I thought at first it was just doing a certain # of hits, but when I got a 14 hit combo and it didn't unlock the achievement/trophy, I knew it was something else.

Hwoarang/Baek
Special combo: Baek u+3+4~5, hwoarang 3,4,3, df+3+4 then baek auto take over, no tag input required

Saw some sales numbers on google as well. Kinda sucks. Hope they will pick up.

I've thought about it. The huge mistake was snoop dogg! Haha.

Should have had a jay-z track/stage. Maybe they could had a fight in a packed house at the new brooklyn nets arena..

Sayah

I really feel like more low sweeps should work like Armor King's db3. It should only trip on counter hit.

On the one hand, I agree. But, on the other hand, I was scared they nerfed Anna's d/b+3. Thankfully, they didn't so I can continue annoying Degen with it. >:D

This I don't understand at all. Why aren't the U.S numbers higher than this for a game like this and he did everything the fans asked for. See shit like this is why developers don't really listen to the fans people want but they don't put money down to show for it.

I would say the following reasons:

1. Some people base their purchases off of reviews and some of the reviews from prominent sources (*cough* IGN *cough*) were very shitty.

2. There is competition from Borderlands 2 and DoA5 this month.

3. The economy

4. We're at the end of the generation and there's been an overload/abundance of fighters.

5. SFXTK

6. The game is too hard for this CoD-loving industry.
Not everything listed above is meant to be taken seriously.

LowParry

Remember we got holiday specials coming up so sales could pick up later into the last of the year. I'm curious how numbers will stack up with DOA5 at the end of the year.

Other than that, Borderlands 2 has been taking up my game time lately. I need to keep up with my TTT2 :(

1. Some people base their purchases off of reviews and some of the reviews from prominent sources (*cough* IGN *cough*) were very shitty.

6. The game is too hard...
I think these two are directly related. Tekken could make a couple tweaks that wouldn't kill depth that would help it out a ton.

-Open up basic movement, by either making the dashes bigger or have less recovery, so that backdash cancel isn't necessary to play the game at even a fundamental level. You could still have bdc give more benefits at higher levels. The fact that you essentially need to learn an execution intensive glitch to begin playing the game properly doesn't help.
-Unify the command lists so that throws/throw escapes/recovery/movement always have the same types of button inputs. This helps people to not only learn but remember how to do things with their characters and when under duress. It also lessens the negatives from directional input errors, which are more common than button input errors. So if they mess up on a throw, they still get a throw.
-Going a bit further with the throw game, make the types of throws have the same kinds of inputs. So nearly every basic throw could be 1+3, position change throws would be 2+4, and high damage throws would be 1+2 (they've done a solid job with this one). It would make it so people with slower reflexes could rely on yomi a bit more instead of needing to see throws as much as they do now.

In the end, Tekken makes a shit ton of money in the arcades and there are healthy communities all over the world. I don't think those minor tweaks would stop the money train but it would make the game a bit less intimidating to new console users.

Sayah

Call me crazy but I screen cap'd some negative user reviews from gamestop. It should be noted mostly all user reviews were positive. Just picked out the bad ones.
jBhCaq1Oijwc7.png

jOCYDb6TaeEDl.png

j942EpHWgtVyu.png

Is the game really that hard? If there's people lurking here that are frustrated with the game, ask for help.
Also feel bad for this guy that bought the game and didn't know the online pass was on the back of the manual.

Doomshine

I thought Aris was being his usual cranky self when he said that the quality of 4 bar connections have gone down, but that's definitely been the case for me the last two days. Either the quality has gone down or the amount of people with shitty connections has increased.

The final straw was when I couldn't punish freaking Feng's f3, 4 on block.

So I was going through Survival to get the 10 match streak trophy, and I never got it. I even went to 12 before thinking it would appear after I left Survival mode. Nothing. Anybody else having this issue?

Sayah

I think these two are directly related. Tekken could make a couple tweaks that wouldn't kill depth that would help it out a ton.

-Open up basic movement, by either making the dashes bigger or have less recovery, so that backdash cancel isn't necessary to play the game at even a fundamental level. You could still have bdc give more benefits at higher levels. The fact that you essentially need to learn an execution intensive glitch to begin playing the game properly doesn't help.
-Unify the command lists so that throws/throw escapes/recovery/movement always have the same types of button inputs. This helps people to not only learn but remember how to do things with their characters and when under duress. It also lessens the negatives from directional input errors, which are more common than button input errors. So if they mess up on a throw, they still get a throw.
-Going a bit further with the throw game, make the types of throws have the same kinds of inputs. So nearly every basic throw could be 1+3, position change throws would be 2+4, and high damage throws would be 1+2 (they've done a solid job with this one). It would make it so people with slower reflexes could rely on yomi a bit more instead of needing to see throws as much as they do now.

In the end, Tekken makes a shit ton of money in the arcades and there are healthy communities all over the world. I don't think those minor tweaks would stop the money train but it would make the game a bit less intimidating to new console users.

Yeah, they could tweak some things to make it easier for newcomers, I guess, without sacrificing all the depth.

I thought Aris was being his usual cranky self when he said that the quality of 4 bar connections have gone down, but that's definitely been the case for me the last two days. Either the quality has gone down or the amount of people with shitty connections has increased.

The final straw was when I couldn't punish freaking Feng's f3, 4 on block.

Strange. Matches have been running fine for me. Are you leaving the settings at default so you only get 4 and 5 bar connections? Or do you have it under no restrictions?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

This this this. I cannot for the life of me BDC, and that's basically ensuring that I'll never really get good at Tekken.

rvy

Banned
Who are all these nubcakes whining about the game being hard. Fucking learn it then, and beating the CPU really isn't hard. Play Dural on hard then bitch about difficulty, not TTT2 and Unknown.

This this this. I cannot for the life of me BDC, and that's basically ensuring that I'll never really get good at Tekken.

Why not just stair step? It may not be *as good* as bdc, but it's a lot easier and still has it's merits. People put so much emphasis on bdc in particular, you're making it a bigger deal than it actually is.
many players dont BDC anyways. they do BDS (backdash sidestep). I did that shit for 5 years and it got me wins lol.

This this this. I'm no pro but it gets me through my matches just fine.

Why not just stair step? It may not be *as good* as bdc, but it's a lot easier and still has it's merits. People put so much emphasis on bdc in particular, you're making it a bigger deal than it actually is.
Because there are plenty of situations where you end up positioning yourself with you back to a wall that had been to your side. It should never be stressful trying to get your character *exactly* where you want them on the screen.

What's so terrifying about the alternative? What does making basic movement simpler and more effective for everyone take away from the game? If a change is good for newcomers and doesn't take anything away from veterans, why is it a bad thing?

OSHAN

If the sales are poor I blame Tekken 6. I bought that when it came out and I swear in November you could find it for 40 bucks then 30 dollars in December with Amazon deals.

I almost waited on TTT2 myself because I can't help but think this game will be 30 bucks in December.

one_kill

Call me crazy but I screen cap'd some negative user reviews from gamestop. It should be noted mostly all user reviews were positive. Just picked out the bad ones.

Is the game really that hard? If there's people lurking here that are frustrated with the game, ask for help.
Also feel bad for this guy that bought the game and didn't know the online pass was on the back of the manual.
The thing that bothers me is that the game isn't newbie friendly. Arcade on easy isn't so easy, and fight lab gets annoying difficult as you progress.

The game is fun when playing with another newbie. Just mash buttons and celebrate when you hit your opponent. However, learning how to properly play the game... well, that's a whole different story.

alstein

If the sales are poor I blame Tekken 6. I bought that when it came out and I swear in November you could find it for 40 bucks then 30 dollars in December with Amazon deals.

I almost waited on TTT2 myself because I can't help but think this game will be 30 bucks in December.

Tekken 6 hurt it some, but what I really think would do it in (provided it is accurate) is a combo of bad timing and lots of competition. Most folks have their game now.

The hardcore FGC didn't go all in for Tekken either- plenty of folks passed because they knew they wouldn't like it.

I really worry for DOA's sales now- that game could do VF5 Vanilla bad.

I don't think Tekken has a rep for being hard among casuals, it's mostly in the FGC that folks find it hard.

If Namco wants to make more money- Idolmaster DLC outfits. That will work.

Dereck

Why do people just spontaneously buy fighting games if they aren't familiar with the fighter. On what basis do they buy fighting games?

Winning = fun?

This game really isn't that hard to get decent at. They're going in it for the wrong reason if they are expecting to walk in with instant-wins. I'd rather Namco cater to the audience that takes the game more seriously and doesn't expect button mash wins. A lot of people have an inflated conception of how good they are at Tekken because how they used to button mash wins with Eddy or Hwoarang in Tekken 3.

Dereck

I still don't understand, I hear people always talk about Tekken 3 this, Tekken 3 that, and they expect a game 4 iterations later to be exactly the same. Do people even do research?

What's so terrifying about the alternative? What does making basic movement simpler and more effective for everyone take away from the game? If a change is good for newcomers and doesn't take anything away from veterans, why is it a bad thing?

I never said they shouldn't. You were talking about a theoretical Tekken and Seraphis was lamenting about a real Tekken... I gave him a real Tekken suggestion.

So I was going through Survival to get the 10 match streak trophy, and I never got it. I even went to 12 before thinking it would appear after I left Survival mode. Nothing. Anybody else having this issue?

trophy should pop at the results screen, got it on 11 wins myself.

backdash cancelling is way overrated in normal play. its really only useful at high level play.

A.E Suggs

On the one hand, I agree. But, on the other hand, I was scared they nerfed Anna's d/b+3. Thankfully, they didn't so I can continue annoying Degen with it. >:D

I would say the following reasons:

2. There is competition from Borderlands 2 and DoA5 this month.

3. The economy

4. We're at the end of the generation and there's been an overload/abundance of fighters.

5. SFXTK

6. The game is too hard for this CoD-loving industry.
Not everything listed above is meant to be taken seriously.

I wouldn't say your to far off the mark with any of those. Especially Borderlands 2 and reviews which I do know people who didn't buy it because of those 2 reasons.

Degen

Who are all these nubcakes whining about the game being hard. Fucking learn it then, and beating the CPU really isn't hard. Play Dural on hard then bitch about difficulty, not TTT2 and Unknown.
exactly! I keep saying, all the computer is doing is countering and punishing your moves by exploiting frame/position data in unfair ways. People are running into trouble because they're trying to fight it like it's another person.

Just jump and press 4 (for example) and the CPU will have no idea what to do. Doesn't matter if it's Unknown or a top-ranked Ghost. Spam the right moves and it'll never win

IMHO, Tekken does need a readjustment. I've always been a fan, just not into the competitive "get good or go home" scene. I'm a different breed. I've always enjoyed the art, story aesthetics, character personalities and fighting styles.

But now, there is such a goofy mish-mash of inconsistent and incoherent bullshit that bogs the areas of the series that I'm a fan of down. It also affects the actual depth and learning process for newcomers. I don't have the will or time to learn multiple characters and how to defend against many more. This game needs a massive downscale in the character roster.

And FFS, if anyone says "but fans will be upset because they won't get to play as such and such" again, I will internet slap them. If this were true, explain the mass of players who flock to the new characters when they're available. Explain the excitement artwork of new characters brings. Explain the ability that veteran players have at adopting different characters after mastering their mains. What about new FGs? It's the most retarded complaint.

New art, new story, new fighting styles, refined older characters making up a smaller roster would go a long way. I'm not a competitive player as evidenced by my shit performance online. I just like finding my own combos in practice mode, not defending against potential opponent tactics.

Speaking of defending. The long ass combos gotta go. Either that or give defensive options to juggled and bound players. Fuck off with the "you shouldn't have whiffed that attack" nonsense. Yes, because the whole game should be about jerking around until you land the same boring combos over and over. This is why high level play bores me to watch. Fun for people who get the punishments involved but not so much for everyone else.

Edit: I enjoy TTT2. Just wish it had more in the way of being a tribute to the older games. More throwback outfits, remodeled stages and remixes of classic tunes would have been killer.

Dereck

IMHO, Tekken does need a readjustment. I've always been a fan, just not into the competitive "get good or go home" scene. I'm a different breed. I've always enjoyed the art, story aesthetics, character personalities and fighting styles.

But now, there is such a goofy mish-mash of inconsistent and incoherent bullshit that bogs the areas of the series that I'm a fan of down. It also affects the actual depth and learning process for newcomers. I don't have the will or time to learn multiple characters and how to defend against many more. This game needs a massive downscale in the character roster.

And FFS, if anyone says "but fans will be upset because they won't get to play as such and such" again, I will internet slap them. If this were true, explain the mass of players who flock to the new characters when they're available. Explain the excitement artwork of new characters brings. Explain the ability that veteran players have at adopting different characters after mastering their mains. What about new FGs? It's the most retarded complaint.

New art, new story, new fighting styles, refined older characters making up a smaller roster would go a long way. I'm not a competitive player as evidenced by my shit performance online. I just like finding my own combos in practice mode, not defending against potential opponent tactics.

Speaking of defending. The long ass combos gotta go. Either that or give defensive options to juggled and bound players. Fuck off with the "you shouldn't have whiffed that attack" nonsense. Yes, because the whole game should be about jerking around until you land the same boring combos over and over. This is why high level play bores me to watch. Fun for people who get the punishments involved but not so much for everyone else.

Edit: I enjoy TTT2. Just wish it had more in the way of being a tribute to the older games. More throwback outfits, remodeled stages and remixes of classic tunes would have been killer.
I agree, and what the fuck at the lack of costumes from past games.

Top Bottom