• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

eerik9000

I'm fixated at getting a 55" LG OLED E6 by the end of the year. Definitely want OLED, that rules out other manufacturers. Want 3D, that rules out B6. Don't want curved, that rules out C6. Hope the price falls significantly in the next six months, with Sony, Panasonic and other competitors coming out with OLED TVs, not to mention LG's own new models.

Lima

I'm fixated at getting a 55" LG OLED E6 by the end of the year. Definitely want OLED, that rules out other manufacturers. Want 3D, that rules out B6. Don't want curved, that rules out C6. Hope the price falls significantly in the next six months, with Sony, Panasonic and other competitors coming out with OLED TVs, not to mention LG's own new models.

Uh in 6 months they won't be available anymore and the fact that they have 3D is actually holding the prices back from crashing too hard right now.

ACH1LL3US

A couple notes and observations of my C7 with 85 hrs on it now. Been using it just for games :)

Image retention compared to my B6 is a huge improvement! Go look at Rtings numbers and see that even after 0mins of recovery it is wicked low compared to the B6 after 4mins! After 2mins the C7 has no image retention whereas the B6 takes over 10mins to go away. Kudos to LG for improving this!

I now feel image retention on the C7 is a non issue which is big for us gamers.

An ISF calibrator on AVSforum has stated the correct contrast setting is 85, above 85 it begins to enable ABL. If you keep contrast at 85 and oled light around 35 there is NO ABL in sdr mode. Sharpness should be set at 10. They also removed the edge enhancement that couldn't be fully disabled on the 2016 sets.

Loving the PC mode on the C7! 4:4:4 chroma and using ISF bright mode with no ABL and 21ms of lag, so good!

eerik9000

Uh in 6 months they won't be available anymore and the fact that they have 3D is actually holding the prices back from crashing too hard right now.

Some discontinued LG 2015 models are still rather widely available, why wouldn't E6 be available in six months?!?

KevinG

Already hard to find great deals on the B6 as they get harder to find. At least not as great of deals as were available a month or two ago.

vpance

This article describes the perceived dimness problem of HDR nicely.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-vs-201604104279.htm

Let’s recap the problem in a nutshell: the HDR presentation in current Ultra HD Blu-ray films is not bright enough for viewing under moderate/ strong ambient lighting, because the HDR metadata forces compatible TVs to be driven at their maximum backlight capacity, leaving no room for higher light output. Of course, there exist other avenues (such as gamma adjustment or dynamic contrast trickery) to brighten the on-screen image for daytime viewing, but these are generally insubstantial compared with the most effective method of raising backlight luminance.

Thus the 100s of posts of people on here saying they're turning on DC to punch up the image..

Whilst it took the arrival of Ultra HD Blu-ray (so we could compare against standard Blu-ray) for us to spot the problem, it seems the video industry was already aware of this potential banana skin. A white paper titled “HDR/WCG Systems Survey: Emerging UHDTV Systems” published by leading calibration software developer SpectraCal here (email registration required to download) contains this illuminating snippet:

"For HDR, the industry is considering 5 nits (cd/m2) to be a desirable surround luminance level."

5 cd/m2 is very dark, roughly the amount of light generated by five lit candles; any switched-on room lamp is likely to exceed this figure. With its usage pretty much restricted to a dark room (not dissimilar to 3D if you think about it), 4K HDR Blu-ray is a niche format that may become even more niche, although in fairness most video enthusiasts would do their critical viewing in a dimly-lit environment anyway. It will be interesting to see if HDR broadcast can succeed in the average living room which is typically not light-controlled…

It'll be interesting what the solution will be, if any. I think eventually there'll be an APL or "middle brightness" slider.

I've compromised a little in a mildly lit room by setting DC at low and lowering the brightness. By doing that on my set the peak areas seem to get brighter (actually it's just the area of brightness itself that expands a bit but not getting totally blown out like it would at med or high) and the areas of mid brightness raise up a notch.

mitchman

Gold Member
It'll be interesting what the solution will be, if any. I think eventually there'll be an APL or "middle brightness" slider.

I've compromised a little in a mildly lit room by setting DC at low and lowering the brightness. By doing that on my set the peak areas seem to get brighter (actually it's just the area of brightness itself that expands a bit but not getting totally blown out like it would at med or high) and the areas of mid brightness raise up a notch.

Dolby Vision solves this nicely by adapting the HDR to the light output level of the TV.

vpance

Dolby Vision solves this nicely by adapting the HDR to the light output level of the TV.

No DV is about support for even more nits, color and correct tone mapping on a scene by scene basis. HDR movies will still continue to display at a dim 120 nit APL.

Madness

All anyone needs to do is watch Planet Earth II UHD with HDR and I swear they would shut the fuck up forever about UHD blu-ray being niche or not needed in the so-called era of streaming. Takes a steaming hot pile of shit on anything I have seen HDR related aside from other UHD blu-rays. Netflix and Amazon HDR content looks downright embarassing by comparison.

Now imagine if Disney had given us Rogue One 4K with HDR... all the people in that PS4 Pro thread about whether Sony made a good decision not including support if they could see how Planet Earth II looks would literally be emailing Kaz Hirai calling him a fool and begging for it soon.

Chumley

Banned
All anyone needs to do is watch Planet Earth II UHD with HDR and I swear they would shut the fuck up forever about UHD blu-ray being niche or not needed in the so-called era of streaming. Takes a steaming hot pile of shit on anything I have seen HDR related aside from other UHD blu-rays. Netflix and Amazon HDR content looks downright embarassing by comparison.

Now imagine if Disney had given us Rogue One 4K with HDR... all the people in that PS4 Pro thread about whether Sony made a good decision not including support if they could see how Planet Earth II looks would literally be emailing Kaz Hirai calling him a fool and begging for it soon.

I think the content itself is even more important, though. UHD/HDR is able to shine brightest with visual showcases like that, and the fact that it's all in-camera and not CGI make it even more spectacular.

There's a ton of movies I can think of that would do really well from 4k/HDR releases, I just wonder how long it'll take or if it'll ever happen, and if it's more than just a 2k upres.

I really really want Interstellar at 4k/HDR. Even the bluray 1080p space scenes looked stunning on OLED, but at 4k...

PrimeRib_

Gotta agree. Picked up a handful of Ultra 4K discs awhile back and am watching the horribly disjointed Warcraft movie, though I am sold on how crisp and full HDR makes it. Just ordered Planet Earth 2. Cannot wait to melt these eyeballs with some proper content.

vpance

Haven't seen PE2 yet but I can believe it. I've watched a bunch of 100+ Mbps 4K and HDR manufacturer demos and they're on a completely different level than streamed sources. Definitely going to pick up a player and some movies whenever they see a big price cut.

Midas

Haven't seen PE2 yet but I can believe it. I've watched a bunch of 100+ Mbps 4K and HDR manufacturer demos and they're on a completely different level than streamed sources. Definitely going to pick up a player and some movies whenever they see a big price cut.

Maybe I should pickup a Scorpio as a UHD player. Or a cheap S when it drops even further in price.

vpance

Maybe I should pickup a Scorpio as a UHD player. Or a cheap S when it drops even further in price.

I heard the S is just an average player in terms of 4K UHD picture quality (loading performance too?), so I'm hesitant on getting it.

I kind of like the Philips one. Barebones, small, quiet, gets the job done. Don't care about it running apps or its network capabilities. Anyways they all need to come down in price first. Sony, Sammy or Philips.

ngower

Picked up the X900E. Watched some YouTube trailers and what not in 4K, but mostly watched some sports streams (720p?). No UHD or PS4 Pro, but gonna try to watch a Criterion blu ray to give upscaling a shot. Gonna give this TV a week and see where I feel.

Anyone have any ratings tweaks/improvements on the rtings settings?

Madness

Gotta agree. Picked up a handful of Ultra 4K discs awhile back and am watching the horribly disjointed Warcraft movie, though I am sold on how crisp and full HDR makes it. Just ordered Planet Earth 2. Cannot wait to melt these eyeballs with some proper content.

Yeah it honestly with a quality television just makes you appreciate the difference.

You're going to see more players this year plus the prices are dropping.

Honestly it still is the best option. This year with Scorpio launch you might even see a bigger drop on Xbox One S especially 500gb versions.

I heard the S is just an average player in terms of 4K UHD picture quality (loading performance too?), so I'm hesitant on getting it.

I kind of like the Philips one. Barebones, small, quiet, gets the job done. Don't care about it running apps or its network capabilities. Anyways they all need to come down in price first. Sony, Sammy or Philips.

Honestly I disagree on how it is just am average player. Keep in mind the reality of the picture quality has more to do with the movie and your television than the player itself. It isn't the best, but going forward will always be updated. You can get it for under $199 usually with a digital game you can sell. It will also get OS and firmware updates for years. Loading performance is good. Always a cheap option especially around black friday this year.

vpance

Picked up the X900E. Watched some YouTube trailers and what not in 4K, but mostly watched some sports streams (720p?). No UHD or PS4 Pro, but gonna try to watch a Criterion blu ray to give upscaling a shot. Gonna give this TV a week and see where I feel.

Don't forget to download demos from
http://demo-uhd3d.com/ and
http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-uhd/

Get all the HDR and manufacturer ones.

Lima

The S is just a bad uhd player pickup especially for people using an OLED. The near black detail is already problematic enough on the 2016 OLED's and the fucked up output with slight black crush of the S is not helping.

tmdorsey

I'm sure no one doubts the quality level of UHD Blu Ray over streaming. It still come down to convenience. The majority of people out there are going to choose streaming over physical disk because it's more convenient and they don't care enough about picture quality to go out and buy a standalone UHD player and then pay for the discs.

ive noticed slight image retention on my c6 but nothing on my e6

not sure if there is a difference in the way the different models handle it or what, but that's been my experience so far

Jigolo

The S is just a bad uhd player pickup especially for people using an OLED. The near black detail is already problematic enough on the 2016 OLED's and the fucked up output with slight black crush of the S is not helping.
That's exactly why I wouldn't buy one for UHD

Chumley

Banned

Had no idea any of this happened, I plan on getting a Scorpio though so hopefully that fixes all this

holygeesus

Banned

Absolutely agree. You can get a proper UHD player here for about 20 quid more than the Xbox anyway, so it is a no-brainer.

It's absolute shite, and forced me to buy an UB700, it's hit and miss as to whether it actually displays the picture as intended, and I wasn't prepared to keep guessing if that's how it's supposed to look anymore.

Theonik

How close is too close when sitting against a 75" screen?
The height of a 75" 16:9 screen is 93.39CM.
For 4K the minimum distance is 1.5x the height so the distance is 140CM.
Ideally you want to be anywhere between 140-217CM from the 75" 4K display.

e: Though do note that larger displays will have some issues of uniformity in part due to the difficulty of manufacturing them but also because you end up watching different parts of them from different angles such that it becomes significant. Some displays will compensate for this.

Thorrgal

I'm sure no one doubts the quality level of UHD Blu Ray over streaming. It still come down to convenience. The majority of people out there are going to choose streaming over physical disk because it's more convenient and they don't care enough about picture quality to go out and buy a standalone UHD player and then pay for the discs.

Yep, yep

Schlomo

It's absolute shite, and forced me to buy an UB700, it's hit and miss as to whether it actually displays the picture as intended, and I wasn't prepared to keep guessing if that's how it's supposed to look anymore.

Come on, don't do this to me. I just ordered one for Planet Earth 2. I guess I can at least play Sunset Overdrive now...

Must. Resist. A. B6.

With Scorpio launching, I am all in for A new TV and AV receiver. My plan was to wait and see.

These B6 deals are tempting though, especially in the UK it can be had for just a touch over £1,500.

With the B7 at twice the price, it worries me that these B6s will disappear fast.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Are you making the jump?

Wiped89

Must. Resist. A. B6.

With Scorpio launching, I am all in for A new TV and AV receiver. My plan was to wait and see.

These B6 deals are tempting though, especially in the UK it can be had for just a touch over £1,500.

With the B7 at twice the price, it worries me that these B6s will disappear fast.

Do it. My only regret is not buying the 65" model (not that I could have afforded it, and it would have looked crazy in my living room, but still).

I got my C6 (I like 3D) for £1,800 with a sound bar thrown in and it was worth every penny.

dragos495

Come on, don't do this to me. I just ordered one for Planet Earth 2. I guess I can at least play Sunset Overdrive now...

thats his opinion, for every one that says the one s is a bad uhd player, there are 9 who vouch for it. me included. i have NO issue whatsoever with it. I own over 20+ uhd hdr discs, from older movies to the newest planet earth II. never ran into any problems.

you will love it. also you can game on it. i paid 199 quid and got gears of war series, thats 4 games and forza horizon 3 which looks effing amazing!

Wiped89

You've made a great purchase. I watched PE2 on mine this weekend and it looked great. In fact, the Xbox One S is now my default Bluray player for everything, because it kicks out a much better picture than the PS4 (inc Pro). And I got mine for £199 with FIFA 17.

My only complaint is 3D playback. My console stutters all over 3D discs and I have to watch them on PS4. No idea why. Plays 4K just fine, so I dunno what that's about. Shrug.

Could you get a better player? I'm sure you could. But not for the price with this functionality. I mean, you *could* spend £1,000 on an ultra top of the range player, but where does it end? Even a £500-600 dedicated player won't be leagues above the Xbox.

Theonik

Could you get a better player? I'm sure you could. But not for the price with this functionality. I mean, you *could* spend £1,000 on an ultra top of the range player, but where does it end? Even a £500-600 dedicated player won't be leagues above the Xbox.
This is a pretty weird quote considering there are plenty of payers out now that will massively outperform the X1 as a BD player while being more attractive as playback devices as well. (smaller, quieter, dedicated HDMI sound outputs etc) while still being affordable.

But hey, it's not like they can beat a 199 quid console with a free low-end BD player.

Have we gotten under $2k for a 65" 4K OLED with HDR? I'm on a 65" 1080p set right now, and there's no turning back on screen size. How much longer will I likely have to wait to hit that upgrade?

nillapuddin

Have we gotten under $2k for a 65" 4K OLED with HDR? I'm on a 65" 1080p set right now, and there's no turning back on screen size. How much longer will I likely have to wait to hit that upgrade?

This is the twenty five hundred dollar question.

It seems we have a few month span starting a bit ago where we can cross our fingers and look out for sales on 2016 models before they put 2017 on shelves/online

I think 2K is the number for me, I'll bite on that right away, if it goes under that afterwards, so be it. But I can still feel good about that purchase

Kibokun

This is the twenty five hundred dollar question.

It seems we have a few month span starting a bit ago where we can cross our fingers and look out for sales on 2016 models before they put 2017 on shelves/online

I think 2K is the number for me, I'll bite on that right away, if it goes under that afterwards, so be it. But I can still feel good about that purchase

Same. I have some hope given the 55" B6 is down to $2k, but unfortunately the 65" is still $1500 more. :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The height of a 75" 16:9 screen is 93.39CM.
For 4K the minimum distance is 1.5x the height so the distance is 140CM.
Ideally you want to be anywhere between 140-217CM from the 75" 4K display.

e: Though do note that larger displays will have some issues of uniformity in part due to the difficulty of manufacturing them but also because you end up watching different parts of them from different angles such that it becomes significant. Some displays will compensate for this.

Wait, sitting 4 to 7 feet away from a 75" tv is acceptable? Well I'll be.

It's kind of hard to read subtitles and watch anime at the same time with a 65" screen and playing competitive games is a nightmare. But having a 75" TV would be cool.

PrimeRib_

IMO the Sony X900E will be this year's budget gaming TV, esp once the price drops take effect bringing it within striking distance of the $1,500 sweet spot. It's a fantarstic set. FALD with great color reproduction and decent (31ms) HDR gaming lag.

I found the rtings settings pretty great, with about 5-10 more on brightness and the dynamic black level on low (not off). I didn't have any complaints with that set in the week I had it (traded up for the X930E for Dolby Vision support).

PrimeRib_

Must. Resist. A. B6.

Resist nothing. If you can find the B6, get it. There's a reason it has been revered for being a great set. It's becoming more scarce as inventories are dininishing rapidly).

The B6 all day til the C7's come down a bit.

PrimeRib_

The 55-inch B6 was selling for about $1800 last Nov in the weeks leading up to Black friday. It lasted only about a week or so on Amazon. I'd expect the same may happen this year for the new LG OLED's.

ngower

IMO the Sony X900E will be this year's budget gaming TV, esp once the price drops take effect bringing it within striking distance of the $1,500 sweet spot. It's a fantarstic set. FALD with great color reproduction and decent (31ms) HDR gaming lag.

I found the rtings settings pretty great, with about 5-10 more on brightness and the dynamic black level on low (not off). I didn't have any complaints with that set in the week I had it (traded up for the X930E for Dolby Vision support).

lol at "budget"

But yeah, I got my 55" for $1650 after tax, but was $1500 pre-tax at BB. While it's a solid picture I'm not entirely sure I *need* it at this moment (I don't have a Pro or UHD player yet) and could probably find a solid deal down the road (thinking ~$1200 for 55"). Gonna sit with it through the return period before deciding. The X930 doesn't really appeal to me as I'm still not entirely convinced by some of the HDR buzzwords, and Dolby Vision seems like the latest in a line of gimmicky Dolby products. Good TV, just still figuring out if it's for me.

Top Bottom