• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

KevinG

I'm getting slightly confused with the LG OLED naming. I'm looking at the LG OLED55B6V. Which I assume is what people refer to as the B6 in this thread. But there's B7V, E6V, E7V etc. Is there a rule to see performance and yearly model? The B6 is about $1k cheaper than the second cheapest.

The B6 is an absolutely incredible TV, and at its current prices, even if they're a little higher than a couple of months ago, are stellar.

It's hard to really know what the 2017s will be at by this time next year, but they will certainly drop in price. I just doubt they'll get as low as the 2016 sets did, but I'm pulling that doubt from my butt. I'm not nearly as seasoned and in the know as a lot of people in this thread.

That being said, I absolutely adore my B6, and would highly recommend it if you find the right price. Doubt you could go wrong with any of the 2016-2017 models either, again, for the right price.

Caayn

If you set your desktop res to 4K then the TV is receiving a 4K signal so the input lag results for a 1080p source don't apply here.

Then in game in Nier set resolution to 1080p. Your GPU will do the scaling for you, so you'll have to live with the up-scaling look/artefacts, but you'll have extremely low input latency.
Doesn't that alter the output resolution as well if you're playing in fullscreen? Don't you need borderless fullscreen for the desktop resolution to remain the output resolution?

whats the best TV for gaming for ps4 pro & Nintendo switch I've just moved in my house and I am looking for reasonably good TV I'm from Ireland so any irish links would be great

Caayn

whats the best TV for gaming for ps4 pro & Nintendo switch I've just moved in my house and I am looking for reasonably good TV I'm from Ireland so any irish links would be great
It'd help if you mentioned your budget and desired size ;) Just saying "what's the best TV for X" is a question with a large amount of possible answers.

tzare

What would be the best option for 55 inches and budget around 1000€?
Spain here
Regular ps4 but would like something a bit future proof.
I've read the are some Hisense TVs worth considering

Thorrgal

What would be the best option for 55 inches and budget around 1000€?
Spain here
Regular ps4 but would like something a bit future proof.
I've read the are some Hisense TVs worth considering

LG OLED 55EG910V. You have some offers from 1079 onwards on Idealo, a friend of mine just got one from televisoresonline, trustworthy site for 1150. A bit over your butget but ABSOLUTELY worth it. I have the 2014 model an its leaps and bounds better to any other tv at the same range.

Edit: Just read about future proof. The TV is not 4k so wont be future proof in that aspect, but imo is still the best option atm. But that's because I wouldn't consider anything else than OLED.

taybul

In the market for a UHD player. Any specific features or specs I should be looking out for? Not looking to get an XBoneS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
VRR is harder than people realise to correctly implement. Especially on an HDMI context where audio sync is involved.

SLI causes micro stutter though... I'm probably going dual Volta Titan but still.

Couldn't nvidia move from an AFR mode to some kind of VR style rendering where they render a single frame across two GPUs? Checkerboarding could make sense for that

In the market for a UHD player. Any specific features or specs I should be looking out for? Not looking to get an XBoneS.

I am in the same situation. As far as i researched:

The Panasonic UB404 and Sony X800 offer good build quality and picture performance. The Panasonic seems to be a bit better though.

The Samsung K8500 and LG UP970 are cheaper with worse build quality and not as good picture processing (still decent picks though, especially if you want to save money).

If you are rich then the Oppo delivers premium build quality and picture processing at a premium price point.

My problem is Dolby Vision. So far only LG and Oppo have announced to update their players with DV support. Sony said they will consider updating if the format proves to be popular. I don't think Panasonic said anything regarding DV. I doubt Samsung will offer DV support.
So if you have a DV capable TV keep this in mind.

Caayn

Couldn't nvidia move from an AFR mode to some kind of VR style rendering where they render a single frame across two GPUs? Checkerboarding could make sense for that
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nvidia lets both GPUs render one "eye" when used in SLI and VR. Obviously such a trick won't work with a 2D display. There's SFR which uses all GPUs to render a single frame but that is generally incompatible with rendering techniques that use data from the frame previous frame(s) such as checkerboarding.

Caayn

Forget plasma. Looked good but heavy, hot, and loud.
Plasma looks great with none of that baggage.

Signed,
Ex VT60 owner
Don't you mean OLED?

Same here. Although I jumped a bit earlier, got a 2015 4K OLED. My VT60 delivered a great picture but I don't miss it. Don't miss the fans on the VT60 at all.

Theonik

That's not a solution. In the first place you need to combine the work of both cards which would add latency.

Moreover SLI originally meant 'Scan Line Interleve' because they would render half a frame on each card. This was before nVidia bought the tech. The strategy doesn't make much sense on modern games.

KevinG

Just grabbed my third UHD disc.

Fantastic Beasts. Hope it's a good one, both the film and the 4K.

Next up is Logan in a few weeks.

Madness

So this the new plasma? I miss my old Panasonic. :-(

Eh, I mean some FALD or high end local dimming LED sets were already pretty great with their black levels. But OLED is pretty much ahead of Plasma in a lot of ways. Some issues with motion, but Sony has rectified a bit with the A1E.

I think you would be happy with a lot of the high end televisions this year ie. Sony X930/940E, Panasonic DX900, Samsung Q9F etc.

J-Rzez

So an owner of the A1E found this out on AVS forums:

11. Easter egg. Setting a custom 1080p resolution at 4:4:4 12-bit color at 120 Hz in game mode drops the input lag down to a tested average 15-20ms! This is a great TV for 1080p gamers. You get the 8ms MPRT motion clarity of 120 Hz sample-and-hold and also get that 120 Hz quick/smoothness with barely perceptible input lag. Just don't turn Clarity to "high", it still only strobes at 60 Hz rendering the other 60 Hz in darkness!

If you set your desktop res to 4K then the TV is receiving a 4K signal so the input lag results for a 1080p source don't apply here.

Then in game in Nier set resolution to 1080p. Your GPU will do the scaling for you, so you'll have to live with the up-scaling look/artefacts, but you'll have extremely low input latency.

That sounds too good/easy to be true, but I have no idea so I would have to try it.

So an owner of the A1E found this out on AVS forums:

If that measurement is correct as the Leo Bodnar tester officially only supports 60 Hz, then there's still the problem that many games don't (properly) support 120 fps (like Nier Automata) or am I misunderstanding something? Anyways, very interesting news and I wonder whether that also applies to the 2017 LG OLEDs.

@ACH1LL3US:
Did you try measuring the input lag of your C7 @1080p/120fps?

EDIT:

Ok, found this in the Questions & Answers section of the rtings C7 review:
There are no artifacts when showing 1080p @ 120 Hz, and no frame skipping either. 1080p @ 120 Hz is actually officially supported in the TV's EDID.
We tested 1080p @ 120 Hz with RGB color and it passed our Chroma 4:4:4 test when the input was set to PC.
We use the industry standard Leo Bodnar tool to test input lag, and it unfortunately only allows testing 60 Hz input lag. We expect the 120 Hz input lag to be lower but likely not half the 60 Hz lag.

Ushay

Right guys.

I'm fixing to get a new TV for HDR purposes with a budget of £900 (max) in the UK. I'm looking to get either the KS7000 or the KS8000.

My issue is I have no idea what the tangible differences are between these sets in terms of pure image quality? Anyone know which is more worthwhile to get. I will gaming and watching movies/shows on it.

Ocaso

I'm sure this has been asked before, but googling and searching has not provided an answer. I bought an E6 a month ago and have an issue with black levels on the PS4 Pro. Setting the Full/High combination gets accurate blacks in games but then results in Blu ray movies being washed out. Setting Limited/Low gets both accurate, but does it cause any other issues? Intuitively it seems as though that combination limits the effectiveness of my TV.

Welp, thought I was 4K-ready but turns out I'm missing one critical piece - a compatible receiver. This didn't even cross my mind, considering my receiver is "only" 3-4 years old (Pioneer).

Looks like I'm plugging right into the TV for the time being.

Juice

Just splurged and bought an LG 65" C7 on a whim. Super pricey for a TV, but I want to start taking advantage of the PS4 Pro and eventually the Scorpio and I'm so sick of how shitty the blacks are on my LCD

Just watched my first UHD bluray movie on a new Costco 65B7P. Ended up with a 7 year warranty, which I'm hopeful could bear fruit down the road. We have little ones, so this Trolls uhd disc will probably be spinning daily. It's a heck of an upgrade from a 55" 2011 Samsung led.

Rahvar

Right guys.

I'm fixing to get a new TV for HDR purposes with a budget of £900 (max) in the UK. I'm looking to get either the KS7000 or the KS8000.

My issue is I have no idea what the tangible differences are between these sets in terms of pure image quality? Anyone know which is more worthwhile to get. I will gaming and watching movies/shows on it.

I did a quick check in English and Swedish av forums. Some people seem to argue that the 8000 has slightly better blacks but most seem to think the difference is not noticable. The 8000 is also supposed to have stronger speakers, a centraly placed stand as opposed to the two smaller feet on the 7000 (a consideration if you a placing it on a smaller furniture). And a couple of people said the 8000 have 4ms less of lag.

If the prices are very close and your budget allows it I'd say go with the 8000, but I doubt you'll regret it if you pick the 7000.

holygeesus

Banned
Welp, thought I was 4K-ready but turns out I'm missing one critical piece - a compatible receiver. This didn't even cross my mind, considering my receiver is "only" 3-4 years old (Pioneer).

Looks like I'm plugging right into the TV for the time being.

What TV? If it is only a 5.1 receiver, then plug all your devices direct to the TV, then use the optical out of the TV to the optical in of your receiver, until you upgrade.

tokkun

Even with those, it still won't be perfect.

There's no such thing as a perfect TV.

That is true, but it would at least be nice if OLED got to the point of matching or exceeding plasma in all the major areas of picture quality.

When you have gotten used to plasma having near-perfect motion resolution, uniformity, and viewing angles, I think you become more sensitive to OLEDs deficiencies in those areas. It's like the switch from CRTs to LCDs. Two steps forward, one step back.

coiler

Anyone playing GT Sporton an LG B6? The setups from DF and AVforums are a bit to dark for me and when i go more than 50 on brightens I get banding on the replays black stripes and so on. It may be a problem with the game thou.

julrik

I'm sure this has been asked before, but googling and searching has not provided an answer. I bought an E6 a month ago and have an issue with black levels on the PS4 Pro. Setting the Full/High combination gets accurate blacks in games but then results in Blu ray movies being washed out. Setting Limited/Low gets both accurate, but does it cause any other issues? Intuitively it seems as though that combination limits the effectiveness of my TV.
There's no tangible difference between Full/Limited as long as it matches the setting of the TV. You don't lose out on anything by keeping it at Limited - don't worry about that.

(I also own the E6)

e90Mark

Just grabbed my third UHD disc.

Fantastic Beasts. Hope it's a good one, both the film and the 4K.

Next up is Logan in a few weeks.

As a long time HP fan, I didn't think it was a very good film, but I did read that the UHD disc brings better visuals due to HDR.

KevinG

As a long time HP fan, I didn't think it was a very good film, but I did read that the UHD disc brings better visuals due to HDR.
I didn't love it, but it was good. Just didn't feel any connection with the characters, but it still had some Rowling magic.

UHD was pretty great too.

J-Rzez

Right guys.

Get the KS8000. Its native 120Hz, better black panel. Handles HDR better. Superior to the 7 series.

Juice

Just splurged and bought an LG 65" C7 on a whim. Super pricey for a TV, but I want to start taking advantage of the PS4 Pro and eventually the Scorpio and I'm so sick of how shitty the blacks are on my LCD

Annnnd… FML. LG literally dropped the MSRP 6 hours after I ordered the set from $4499 to $3999.

Amazon & the third-party seller are telling me to go pound sand, and Amex doesn't offer price protection, so I'm out $500, because the third party seller tells me if I refuse shipment then it won't count as a return because their shipping facilities can't accept returns and it has to go through an RMA.

So then I could waste a week turning a TV around back and forth across the country by spending $200 to ship it so I can save a net $300.

Jesus. How depressing.

The Argus

My mom called me frustrated Saturday morning. Guess my sister kept their B6 on all night and the cable feed froze during an infomercial. She said there was a frozen image of a man sweeping or something. Anyways, I guide her through the screen clearing feature to get rid of the IR. Doesn't fix it. Then I have her power off the TV and unplug it for the night. This morning she turns it on and it's still there. I tell her then to cycle through channels for a bit so there is never anything static. No go.

Guess this is permanent​ burn in? I know OLED has image retention, but I haven't seen much of anything permanent online. That said my Note 3 backup phone has permanent burn in from the status bar, though I figured that was because it was an old AMOLED display. Luckily my rents bought their B6 with a usually worthless Best Buy service warranty and BB will be sending over a tech tomorrow, and of they can't fix it they will replace the unit.

Kyoufu

My mom called me frustrated Saturday morning. Guess my sister kept their B6 on all night and the cable feed froze during an infomercial. She said there was a frozen image of a man sweeping or something. Anyways, I guide her through the screen clearing feature to get rid of the IR. Doesn't fix it. Then I have her power off the TV and unplug it for the night. This morning she turns it on and it's still there. I tell her then to cycle through channels for a bit so there is never anything static. No go.

Guess this is permanent​ burn in? I know OLED has image retention, but I haven't seen much of anything permanent online. That said my Note 3 backup phone has permanent burn in from the status bar, though I figured that was because it was an old AMOLED display. Luckily my rents bought their B6 with a usually worthless Best Buy service warranty and BB will be sending over a tech tomorrow, and of they can't fix it they will replace the unit.

A few screen cleaning cycles should do it as long as they don't interrupt it.

Top Bottom