• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

vpance

Annnnd… FML. LG literally dropped the MSRP 6 hours after I ordered the set from $4499 to $3999.

Amazon & the third-party seller are telling me to go pound sand, and Amex doesn't offer price protection, so I'm out $500, because the third party seller tells me if I refuse shipment then it won't count as a return because their shipping facilities can't accept returns and it has to go through an RMA.

So then I could waste a week turning a TV around back and forth across the country by spending $200 to ship it so I can save a net $300.

Jesus. How depressing.

That sucks, but it's just bad timing. I think pretty much every new model TV has gone on sale since launch already though. Always check with local dealers first.

Basically if you buy a new model TV at this time of the year, you have to go into it with the mindset of knowing you'll lose 40-50% over the rest of the year. If you can't deal with that you're far better off buying a TV from last year's models.

Kambing

I caved and just ordered the 65 inch C7 -- guess I wasn't able to take my own advice. Fortunately, I only did this because I was able to sell my 65C6 on CL for $2500. The C7 was $3300~ from ClevelandAV, so a $800 premium. Seems worth it to me. Hoping I get a good set and will post my own impressions once I receive it.

I had considered the 65inch Sony, but that was going for $4800... yeah -- hell no lol.

Juice

That sucks, but it's just bad timing. I think pretty much every new model TV has gone on sale since launch already though. Always check with local dealers first.

Basically if you buy a new model TV at this time of the year, you have to go into it with the mindset of knowing you'll lose 40-50% over the rest of the year. If you can't deal with that you're far better off buying a TV from last year's models.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just wish it hadn't literally been 12 hours later that I noticed it :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That sucks Juice.
Why didn't you go through someone like ClevelandAV? Just curious. That model is $3300 as noted by a poster above.

My mom called me frustrated Saturday morning. Guess my sister kept their B6 on all night and the cable feed froze during an infomercial. She said there was a frozen image of a man sweeping or something. Anyways, I guide her through the screen clearing feature to get rid of the IR. Doesn't fix it. Then I have her power off the TV and unplug it for the night. This morning she turns it on and it's still there. I tell her then to cycle through channels for a bit so there is never anything static. No go.

Guess this is permanent​ burn in? I know OLED has image retention, but I haven't seen much of anything permanent online. That said my Note 3 backup phone has permanent burn in from the status bar, though I figured that was because it was an old AMOLED display. Luckily my rents bought their B6 with a usually worthless Best Buy service warranty and BB will be sending over a tech tomorrow, and of they can't fix it they will replace the unit.

No, you're not supposed to unplug the TV.
The TV will do it's cleaning cycles while it's powered off, but not unplugged.

TheBoss1

Eizo claims that its new monitor is the first LCD panel to achieve a contrast ratio of 1.000.000:1

- "This professional color grading monitor is the first to overcome the severe drawbacks of other HDR technologies that are available in the market today – ABL and local dimming. ABL (Auto Brightness Limiter) is equipped in other HDR OLED monitors and limits the monitor's ability to display lighter scenes with tones over a specific range in order to prolong the device's lifetime," the company said.

Looks like their using those Panasonic IPS displays that were 1st talked about last year.

Hi Guys,

Great thread.

I am in the market for a new 4K TV

My budget is around £3500. What is the best 4k tv 55 inch or bigger i could get for this price?

The last time i bought a TV 1080p 3D was all the rage so im a bit behind on whats best now

I have seen that LG wallpaper TV and that would be my first choice but im guessing that going to be much more than £3500. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Guys,

Great thread.

My budget is around £3500. What is the best 4k tv 55 inch or bigger i could get for this price?

The last time i bought a TV 1080p 3D was all the rage so im a bit behind on whats best now

I have seen that LG wallpaper TV and that would be my first choice but im guessing that going to be much more than £3500. Any help would be appreciated!

Also i would like to know if curved TVs are a gimmick or they provide a better viewing experience over flat TVs?

Kyoufu

Hi Guys,

Great thread.

Going to recommend the LG OLEDs for that budget.

65" B6

and if you want 3D then get the E6 instead.

If you don't need 3D, then definitely choose the B6. It's a little brighter and has slightly less input lag. The E6 is more expensive because it has 3D and a built-in soundbar with a more premium design.

Curved is pointless IMO, just get flat.

KevinG

Hi Guys,

Great thread.

LG B6/B7/C7 OLED sets are going to be highly recommended in here. Your price range could afford you an OLED, and I personally think that's where your cash is best spent, but I'm not an expert.

Going to recommend the LG OLEDs for that budget.

65" B6

and if you want 3D then get the E6 instead.

If you don't need 3D, then definitely choose the B6. It's a little brighter and has slightly less input lag. The E6 is more expensive because it has 3D and a built-in soundbar with a more premium design.

Curved is pointless IMO, just get flat.

Ok thank you. Does this B6 have HDR? I dont know too much about this but is that a must when getting a 4k tv?

LG B6/B7/C7 OLED sets are going to be highly recommended in here. Your price range could afford you an OLED, and I personally think that's where your cash is best spent, but I'm not an expert.

Two recommendations for the B6! Thanks for this. It seems this is the most recommended TV in this thread.

h3ro

Just saw a 65" B7 at Costco this past weekend.

Holy. Moly. The tech in the section was cool and let me mess with some of the demo settings so I could see it without torch mode on. The colors. The blacks. My goodness.

I immediately had to go home and give my VT60 a "it'll be ok little buddy" hug.

Kyoufu

Ok thank you. Does this B6 have HDR? I dont know too much about this but is that a must when getting a 4k tv?

Two recommendations for the B6! Thanks for this. It seems this is the most recommended TV in this thread.

The LG OLEDs have all the features you'd expect from today's standards, including HDR.

Kyoufu

Thanks,

Also i am seeing links for the B7 is that just the 2017 version? If so the B6 is still probably the best choice right?

The B7 is a slightly better TV but it also costs a lot more. B6 is the better value but if you want the B7 then I won't stop you. Either way you'll have one hell of a TV.

Everything. We have very good warranty here from high street retailers.

If my E6 breaks in the next few years they'll replace it with the latest model.

The B7 is a slightly better TV but it also costs a lot more. B6 is the better value but if you want the B7 then I won't stop you. Either way you'll have one hell of a TV.

Ive looked at richer sounds and the G6 and E6 65 inch are both £3799 and £3199 respectively. I might go for one of those after reading this.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/137335-lg-4k-hdr-choices-for-2016-g6-e6-c6-and-b6-tvs-compared

I like the sound of this picture on glass!

Lucentto

Banned
I'm finally close to making a decision.

Chris from Cleveland Plasma/AV is helping me out. The B6 is $1800 while the C6 is $1675. Which one should I get in this case? Is the B6 worth the extra $125? I know the C6 is curved but I doubt that will bother me.

Yukstin

Chris from Cleveland Plasma/AV is helping me out. The B6 is $1800 while the C6 is $1675. Which one should I get in this case? Is the B6 worth the extra $125? I know the C6 is curved but I doubt that will bother me.

28ms input lag for the B6 vs. 32 input lag for the C6. C6 has 3D if you have any 3D blurays to watch.

C6 curve is very subtle, I barely notice mine.

I would probably say C6 especially since it's cheaper.

Rodin

C6 is better overall, being also cheaper makes it a no brainer. Don't worry about the curve, i have the EG9100 and it's barely noticeable when watching content, it's certainly not worse (or better, it's not that relevant tbh).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ive looked at richer sounds and the G6 and E6 65 inch are both £3799 and £3199 respectively. I might go for one of those after reading this.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/137335-lg-4k-hdr-choices-for-2016-g6-e6-c6-and-b6-tvs-compared

I like the sound of this picture on glass!

I think it's mainly the sound that is different on those higher models. Personally I'd keep it simple with w B6/C6 (65" would be amazing and well under budget), and spend any change on a decent sound system if you don't already have one.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just wish it hadn't literally been 12 hours later that I noticed it :(

Same for me. Bought my B7 on Sunday, Monday I see the price update. I think Costco will work with me on the $400 price diff, they usually are pretty customer friendly.

Lucentto

Banned
28ms input lag for the B6 vs. 32 input lag for the C6. C6 has 3D if you have any 3D blurays to watch.

C6 curve is very subtle, I barely notice mine.

I would probably say C6 especially since it's cheaper.

C6 is better overall, being also cheaper makes it a no brainer. Don't worry about the curve, i have the EG9100 and it's barely noticeable when watching content, it's certainly not worse (or better, it's not that relevant tbh).

Well, thanks guys. I am going to go ahead and purchase the C6. I can put that $125 saved towards something else.

Schlomo

I got the 55B7 now, some random impressions:

- Picture quality is good overall, and blacks are awesome (coming from a Sony LCD).
- Some colors seemed garish out of the box, even in the ISF Expert picture mode, so I had to reduce some values, especially for red.
- Input lag in PC or game mode is good, but noticeably worse than my old Bravia. I used the race start countdown in MK8 on Wii U to compare this. While the Bravia showed the numbers faster than the GamePad, the LG has about the same lag as the GamePad.
- There is some banding unfortunately that's also visible in very dark scenes of normal content. There are some single brighter vertical bands across the whole screen, and a pattern of darker horizontal bands mainly visible in the lower corners. The former seem to have improved after two pixel refresh cycles, but the latter did not. Really unsure if this is normal or if I should ask for a replacement (which might be worse).
- HDR looks completely different to me in each game. I liked the subtle use in Uncharted 4 night scenes the best so far. Forza Horizon 3 and Ratchet & Clank mainly seem to get a super bright sky as the only difference, and in The Witness all the colors get really intense to the point where I think it looks worse than SDR mode. Maybe I haven't found good settings yet.
- Audio via ARC had frequent skips on my old Yamaha receiver, so I had to buy a new Pioneer receiver that supports 4k. Now ARC works perfectly, only now the PS4 turns on everytime I turn on the TV, so I had to disable CEC on PS4. I hate HDMI.
- 1080p 120 Hz works nicely on PC. It looks strange at first if you're not used to it and almost gave me motion sickness. I'd probably get used to it, but I think I'll prefer 4k 60 Hz for most games.

Madness

C6. It has 3D while the B6 does not. The curve is less of an issue with OLED. If it was LED, I would have said get the straight panel as curved tv almost always worse with greater banding or uniformity and cloudiness issues. The C6 as it is cheaper and has more features is better here.

- Input lag in PC or game mode is good, but noticeably worse than my old Bravia. I used the race start countdown in MK8 on Wii U to compare this. While the Bravia showed the numbers faster than the GamePad, the LG has about the same lag as the GamePad.
What model number is your old Sony TV?

- There is some banding unfortunately that's also visible in very dark scenes of normal content. There are some single brighter vertical bands across the whole screen, and a pattern of darker horizontal bands mainly visible in the lower corners. The former seem to have improved after two pixel refresh cycles, but the latter did not. Really unsure if this is normal or if I should ask for a replacement (which might be worse).
Most 55" OLED TV have fairly good uniformity, so you would have to upload some near black pics (3% and 5%) to get some help whether yours is normal or not.

Juice

Just got my 65" LG C7 and I'm dorking around with HDR Picture settings in UC4 on my PS4 Pro and I really don't know what I'm doing. Has anyone posted recommended picture settings for HDR mode + PS4 Pro?

vpance

Just got my 65" LG C7 and I'm dorking around with HDR Picture settings in UC4 on my PS4 Pro and I really don't know what I'm doing. Has anyone posted recommended picture settings for HDR mode + PS4 Pro?

There's an article on Eurogamer with some recommended settings, try them out. One thing I know for sure is OLED light 100 :)

I didn't find U4 impressive in HDR. Horizon just killed any sense of amazement I had for its graphics in general.

J-Rzez

Finally after playing same content from flash drives, and from uhd players, I decided on the Sony A1E. I went back after some of the reviews talking about brightness and blah blah. Granted I couldnt fully calibrate, rather tweak, the A1E despite being supposedly not as bright actually did the highlights better than the E7. I'm guessing its the processing that Sony uses what they got a bit better. This on real content, movies, not locked slides and demo stuff. When you put on slides, then it seems LGs ABL doesn't kick in as much? Who knows...

All I know is the Samsung UHD player sucks. Got some weird motion artifacts on the A1E, it was driving me crazy. Nobody mentioned this in reviews. Well, put on a Sony x800 and problems gone. Go figure. And that was with and without all the junk turned on in the Samsung player.

Finally decided, just in time for my bonus check next week. :)

Lucentto

Banned
Just got my 55C6 delivered and set it up. Fucking hell this looks good. I haven't been this excited for anything in over a year.

Smokey

I've been watching Planet Earth II at home. Standard 1080p panel. Was really contemplating saving it until I got a 4K tv in 2018, but I love nature docs, and PE is one of my favorites. Really enjoying it.

Had to run to Best Buy today and I stopped by the TV section, and they had PEII running on one of the 75'' Sony's.

0_0

The combination of UHD Blu Ray + 4K + HDR, that shit was was on point. Clearly a major difference from what I've been watching at home. Almost want to just press pause on it and for real wait until next year. It looked incredible.

Yeah, get the B6. I'm still loving mine and have absolutely no regrets. Imo, for the price, it's probably the best value out there out of the modern high end TV's. Also, if you want to really see what HDR can do, play Horizon on PS4 Pro. The HDR imo is mind-blowing.

Took a look at the Sony OLED today.
The flickering of the BFI sure is noticeable but that was under store lightning and I have yet to try some of my own demo material.

It's a Sony W656A.
The 50W656A? My old TV is a Sony 50W685A, basically the same TV but with additional (passive) 3D.
Which means that both have abt. 14,5 ms of input lag which is extremely low for a TV released these past 4-5 years. Not sure if there are any recent TVs with lower input lag than those two.
Still it's only 6,5 ms difference to one of the 2017 LG OLEDs (abt. 21 ms), so I'm surprised that you seem to notice it so clearly.
Well, in the coming days I'll probably do some testing on a B7 myself to see how it compares input lag wise.

I tried to take a picture. It's pretty crappy, but you can see the basic issue.

https://imgur.com/tdkV9Lu
(I hope the link works.)
Hm, picture seems gone.

EDIT:

At a german forum someone measured abt. 17.4ms for the European LG C7V/C7D in game mode with the latest FW version 03.51.20.
So did LG further improve the input lag or is his Leo Bodnar device not measuring correctly? Anyone who could check?

At a german forum someone measured abt. 17.4ms for the European LG C7V/C7D in game mode with the latest FW version 03.51.20.
So did LG further improve the input lag or is his Leo Bodnar device not measuring correctly? Anyone who could check?

ACH1LL3US can do that for you. 17.4ms is crazy fast! I hope it's also that fast in PC mode.

BruceCLea

Banned
I went to Best Buy this past week and saw the C7 and the Sony A1E. I definitely prefer the C7. It's screen is much brighter and the reps there were telling me that the center of the A1E's screen gets really hot...around 103 degrees. The sound is really cool, but you worry about the sound system slowly degrading the screen along with its heat.

All of the C7's guts are in the bottom part of the TV. Sony has a cool design but I wish they'd just do something normal. Plus, I want Samsung and Vizio to jump into OLED to get those prices down!

Newlove

I got the Sony Bravia XD85 today in preparation for Scorpio. I was doing a bit of research to see if the console will just instantly work with HDR / 4K extra by looking at Xbox One S set up videos for Sony TVs. It's interesting that you need to go into the HDMI settings and enable 'enhanced' mode to receive 4K HDR from a device. For a casual non-techie who buys a 4K console, they perhaps would never know. Also tried Game Mode on my standard PS4. The picture is kind of sepia tone which is not all that impressive but you do notice better input time. I think I'll be switching between standard and this mode quite a bit.

ACH1LL3US

ACH1LL3US can do that for you. 17.4ms is crazy fast! I hope it's also that fast in PC mode.

Sigh... I am running on stock firmware as I really didn't want to upgrade with fear the lag would go up, especially in pc mode with ISF settings as currently they are at 21.3ms

BUT ..

In the interest of potential LG C7 buyers, I will upgrade the firmware and test with my Leo Bodnar.

Give me an Hour ;)

Edit... my guess is he measured the top box which is 17.4ms but I will upgrade and test it.

Kyoufu

Sigh... I am running on stock firmware as I really didn't want to upgrade with fear the lag would go up, especially in pc mode with ISF settings as currently they are at 21.3ms

BUT ..

In the interest of potential LG C7 buyers, I will upgrade the firmware and test with my Leo Bodnar.

Give me an Hour ;)

Lag never goes up with firmware updates. At least not on LG's OLEDs. Curious to see your test result because 17ms would be insane. That's half the 2016 E/C/G series!

In fact, I highly recommend updating firmware whenever possible because LG's engineers made a lot of improvements and fixes on the 2016 models.

Top Bottom