• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Leedogg

When the LG OLED tvs do the self cleaning automatically after you turn them off. How do you know it's actually doing it. Because I've never heard or seen my 55 E6. Make any noise or anything?

Thanks, ACH1LL3US.

The person who posted the 17.4 ms, also mentioned isf mode with TM 88 ms, without TM 46 ms.
When the LG OLED tvs do the self cleaning automatically after you turn them off. How do you know it's actually doing it. Because I've never heard or seen my 55 E6. Make any noise or anything?
You could hook up an USB stick with a light which turns on when the compensation cycle is running.

ACH1LL3US

Ok tested my LG C7 with firmware 3.51.20.

Input lag in pc mode in either ISF modes and game mode went down to 21.2ms ( was 21.4ms on stock firmware). Outside of pc mode, game mode shows 21.3ms.

All numbers are middle bar, top bar shows 17.4ms. Maybe the Germans go by the top bar? I still feel we should all be going by the bottom bar but whatevs.

The picture with exact same setting with oled light 35 looks significantly brighter though which is interesting, its only brighter in pc mode though, outside pc mode looks the same as before. It looks like pc mode before may have had lower light output but no longer.

ACH1LL3US

Is the game mode-wide colour gamut issue fixed for 2017 OLEDs?

Use PC mode and select ISF bright or dark. You get 4:4:4 and 21.2ms of input lag AND you can choose auto color space which is not wide and is accurate unlike game mode. No need to use game mode anymore on the 2017 LG oled's. Also make sure you put hdmi deep color on to get 4:4:4 in pc mode :)

Sigh... I am running on stock firmware as I really didn't want to upgrade with fear the lag would go up, especially in pc mode with ISF settings as currently they are at 21.3ms

BUT ..

In the interest of potential LG C7 buyers, I will upgrade the firmware and test with my Leo Bodnar.

Give me an Hour ;)

Edit... my guess is he measured the top box which is 17.4ms but I will upgrade and test it.

Ok tested my LG C7 with firmware 3.51.20.

Input lag in pc mode in either ISF modes and game mode went down to 21.2ms ( was 21.4ms on stock firmware). Outside of pc mode, game mode shows 21.3ms.

All numbers are middle bar, top bar shows 17.4ms. Maybe the Germans go by the top bar? I still feel we should all be going by the bottom bar but whatevs.

The picture with exact same setting with oled light 35 looks significantly brighter though which is interesting, its only brighter in pc mode though, outside pc mode looks the same as before. It looks like pc mode before may have had lower light output but no longer.

We ask and you always deliver with your Leo Bodnar. And that's why you are a boss. Thank you!

Kaldaien

Neo Member

They use an excessive amount of electricity while doing this :) That's the only way I can tell, I look at my battery backup and it shows the TV burning through about 150W while it's off for a good minute or so.

TLZ

Banned
Use PC mode and select ISF bright or dark. You get 4:4:4 and 21.2ms of input lag AND you can choose auto color space which is not wide and is accurate unlike game mode. No need to use game mode anymore on the 2017 LG oled's. Also make sure you put hdmi deep color on to get 4:4:4 in pc mode :)

Can this be done on a C6? Do you know what the input lag is on C6?

Lima

Just make sure to disable pc mode when playing back HDR games. There is some nasty banding in pc mode.

LG has opted to give proper CMS to game mode on their 2017 sets yes iirc.

That's great! Some people are okay with the issue, and good for them, but the issue would be way too annoying for me to consider a 2016 OLED at this point. It's not like LG is going to fix it, either.

By the way, Ach1ll3us: does that mean the game mode thing is fixed, or that there's a workaround on 2017 OLEDs?

Caayn

I can tell when my EG920v is cleaning itself when it doesn't instantly make the "click" sound after turning it off.

Caayn

I havent bought it yet but where does it say that? I thought tvs were still stuck in 60hz?
The 7 series OLED support 1080p @ 120Hz. The panel used in those TVs is a 120Hz panel.

4K with >60Hz isn't possible yet due to HDMI limitations. (Displayport can achieve it but that isn't used on TVs).

Schlomo

Just make sure to disable pc mode when playing back HDR games. There is some nasty banding in pc mode.

Are you sure? For me, PC mode turns off automatically for HDR content (I know because there's visible lag unless I turn on Game Mode in HDR).

Paertan

Damn my Panny Plasma is starting to make some noice. Maybe it is finally dying. Love the low input lag and great picture. I have been thinking about getting a new tv but only tv I want is Vizio and they are not sold in Europe.
Are there no other sub 20ms input lag tv:s in Europe? With good picture quality.

ACH1LL3US

That's great! Some people are okay with the issue, and good for them, but the issue would be way too annoying for me to consider a 2016 OLED at this point. It's not like LG is going to fix it, either.

By the way, Ach1ll3us: does that mean the game mode thing is fixed, or that there's a workaround on 2017 OLEDs?

You are stuck with Wide gamut color in Game mode on the 2016 and 2017 Oled's.

Why would you use game mode on the 2017's??? You should be running them in PC Mode with ISF bright or dark!!

Also remember to set oled light to 35 and contrast at 85 to get NO ABL !! Rtings even confirmed this as I brought this to their attention.

Can this be done on a C6? Do you know what the input lag is on C6?

This cannot be done on the C6, when I had a C6, in pc mode with hdmi deep color on with game picture it was showing 68ms on the Leo Bodnar and ISF modes were 92ms. So completely unusable on the 2016 oled's even the b6 in pc mode to get 4:4:4 was showing similar lag numbers. Just can't run pc mode on the 2016's due to high input lag imho.

On the C7 why is Standard mode so much brighter than any other mode. Even when all the settings are made exactly the same the luminous I guess seems so much brighter on standard picture mode

Leedogg

I can tell when my EG920v is cleaning itself when it doesn't instantly make the "click" sound after turning it off.

Ohhhhhh....So that's what that clicking sound is on my E6. I always thought it was my audio receiver turning off and not the tv.

You are stuck with Wide gamut color in Game mode on the 2016 and 2017 Oled's.

Why would you use game mode on the 2017's??? You should be running them in PC Mode with ISF bright or dark!!

Also remember to set oled light to 35 and contrast at 85 to get NO ABL !! Rtings even confirmed this as I brought this to their attention.

This cannot be done on the C6, when I had a C6, in pc mode with hdmi deep color on with game picture it was showing 68ms on the Leo Bodnar and ISF modes were 92ms. So completely unusable on the 2016 oled's even the b6 in pc mode to get 4:4:4 was showing similar lag numbers. Just can't run pc mode on the 2016's due to high input lag imho.

That's a fine workaround. I was just checking whether they actually fixed the issue. Guess they still havent figured out how :/

Plum

Hello! Asking for a recommendation not for a 4K HDR TV but *gasp* for a regular old 1080p TV instead. This is entirely out of choice for a number of reasons:

- I'm gonna be using my Switch on it and, considering some of its games are still 720p, I want them looking as good as possible
- I've yet to really see HDR or 4K so I don't feel the need to upgrade
- I'm able to but don't want to spend upwards of £1,000 because I'd like to save money and, considering it'll be in a student house, I don't want to risk it being stolen/broken
- I'd much rather have a high-end 1080p TV than a low-end 1080p TV, especially for input lag and upscaling

So, with that out of the way, my budget is about £500 or so. A decent set of inputs would be great, non-terrible input lag is a must and viewing angles should be decent as it'll be in a corner. Smart TV features don't bother me since I generally use Netflix/Amazon/YT on my PS4 anyway. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'd prefer 50 inchs as I'll generally be sitting 6+ feet away from the screen.

hitgirl

Hello! Asking for a recommendation not for a 4K HDR TV but *gasp* for a regular old 1080p TV instead. This is entirely out of choice for a number of reasons:

- I'm gonna be using my Switch on it and, considering some of its games are still 720p, I want them looking as good as possible
- I've yet to really see HDR or 4K so I don't feel the need to upgrade
- I'm able to but don't want to spend upwards of £1,000 because I'd like to save money and, considering it'll be in a student house, I don't want to risk it being stolen/broken
- I'd much rather have a high-end 1080p TV than a low-end 1080p TV, especially for input lag and upscaling

So, with that out of the way, my budget is about £500 or so. A decent set of inputs would be great, non-terrible input lag is a must and viewing angles should be decent as it'll be in a corner. Smart TV features don't bother me since I generally use Netflix/Amazon/YT on my PS4 anyway. Thanks in advance!

I don't even think you can buy a high end 1080p TV now adays. I'm using a Sony 1080P 600 series TV until 4K VRR Tvs come out. Sold my high end 1080p Sony 950 while the prices were high to hold out for better 4K TVs and a video card that can do 4K 60fps.

Plum

I don't even think you can buy a high end 1080p TV now adays. I'm using a Sony 1080P 600 series TV until 4K VRR Tvs come out. Sold my high end 1080p Sony 950 while the prices were high to hold out for better 4K TVs and a video card that can do 4K 60fps.

There are definitely 1080p TVs about. I just generally want the best I can get for my money, and I'm not sure the upsides of a £500 4K TV (if it even has proper HDR) would make up for the downsides.

Theonik

High-end 1080p TVs aren't really a thing anymore. You can try some of the older Sony sets.
The W902B is still a solid 1080p set iirc if you can find one.

With regards to 4K sets though, 720p actually upscales better on a 4K set than a 1080p one. This is because a 4K 16:9 display is a perfect 3x3 scale of a 720p image as well as a perfect 2x2 scale of a 1080p image. The displays also tend to have better upscales in general so will look better. Panasonic and Sony have pretty good upscalers but it depends on how much you can tolerate latency.

Plum

High-end 1080p TVs aren't really a thing anymore. You can try some of the older Sony sets.
The W902B is still a solid 1080p set iirc if you can find one.

With regards to 4K sets though, 720p actually upscales better on a 4K set than a 1080p one. This is because a 4K 16:9 display is a perfect 3x3 scale of a 720p image as well as a perfect 2x2 scale of a 1080p image. The displays also tend to have better upscales in general so will look better. Panasonic and Sony have pretty good upscalers but it depends on how much you can tolerate latency.

Ah, I didn't know that. I was just worried that games like Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2, both likely being 720p, would come out as a blurry mess. I'm willing to bump my budget up to £650 or so if I can get a pretty good HDR (proper HDR) 4K TV for the price. As long as it doesn't have horrible input lag (33ms+) it shouldn't be too bad. If not I think I'll go with this Sony set ... have no idea if it's the one you talked about or not, names between regions mess me up.

TLZ

Banned

Ah crap. Looks like game mode it is then. Thanks.

Have you tested C6's game mode input lag?

Anyone have experience of Panasonic's DX900 series for gaming?

Yeah baby! I've used it pretty much solely for gaming for around 6 months (PC, PS4 Pro, X1S and Shield) it's awesome quite honestly, and that's coming from someone who had a 22ms JS9000 beforehand.

BFI mode is superb, being that these sets get so bright, it's easy to make the dimness back up, and with no visible flicker to my eyes anyway, guessing the refresh rate disguises it, my Sony W905a has very visible flickering using BFI.

You won't regret getting one.

TRios Zen

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the 55" KS8000 (on sale at Best Buy) but not sure if I should wait for 2017 screens to come out?

Any insight here?

Someone in here owns one. The lag is not the lowest but apparently the motion settings are very good and also viable in gaming too.

Yeah baby! I've used it pretty much solely for gaming for around 6 months (PC, PS4 Pro, X1S and Shield) it's awesome quite honestly, and that's coming from someone who had a 22ms JS9000 beforehand.

BFI mode is superb, being that these sets get so bright, it's easy to make the dimness back up, and with no visible flicker to my eyes anyway, guessing the refresh rate disguises it, my Sony W905a has very visible flickering using BFI.

You won't regret getting one.

Thanks guys. I currently have a Panny VT50 plasma and am thinking about replacing (for HDR mainly). The Panny OLEDs are a little too expensive yet so considering the DX902.

Can someone link to me an explanation or explain to me why calibration goals are of 100 nits?
Rtings talks about that as well as other tv review sites.

Ok I'm considering this television:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZF7WCT/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm a little nervous about burn in for OLED though. I know image retention is somewhat common and permanent burn in is not unheard of. If I used the television for video and games only I wouldn't be too worried but I regularly have my PC connected to my television where browser windows and other static elements could be on the set for an extended period of time. Is OLED a bad idea for my use case?

MrJames

Look down through the air vents in back behind the display. There is a red light that turns on and off along with the TV. When you turn the TV off and the light stays on, it's running a comp cycle.

Schlomo

Ok I'm considering this television:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZF7WCT/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm a little nervous about burn in for OLED though. I know image retention is somewhat common and permanent burn in is not unheard of. If I used the television for video and games only I wouldn't be too worried but I regularly have my PC connected to my television where browser windows and other static elements could be on the set for an extended period of time. Is OLED a bad idea for my use case?

I use my B7 as a PC screen and haven't seen even a hint of image retention. If you use it for whole days it might be different, but if it's just a few hours with maybe a few YouTube fullscreen uses in between and screen saver activated for when you're away, you don't need to worry at all.

So Guys i need a little bit of help. First I don't quite understand the PC/Game HDR mode thing on 2017 oleds. Pls. keep in mind i dont have a 4k set right now (50w656 Sony).

If I game with my Pro, aren't all new games with HDR? When not, PC mode with correct colour it is. If HDR in PC mode, I would get banding artefacts? Or Game mode, wrong colour setting but no artefacts. Correct? Do you notice the difference in the colour output?

The day I will get a new TV is coming closer, will move to a new apartment. There I will have two windows in the back, reflections on the TV.So I am wondering if something like a XE90 or XE93 wouldn't be the better choice.

To complete my post, 55 inch, 80% movies (mostly animated ones) 20% gaming. Nearly only watch at night.

Top Bottom