• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

//DEVIL//

I have a question about backlight in general. Doesn't the screen brightness / longevity get effected by putting the backlight to maximum ? I want to enjoy hdr but I don't want to kill my screen

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Now, I'm not saying that the guy who is claiming burn in is lying, but could he try posting a picture of it? I'm curious to see.

I had an E6 and played the hell out of Zelda, well over a hundred hours worth. There was never any burn in, or even image retention on mine at all. I'd go so far as to say OLED is rock solid on that front.

Maybe my set had the pixel shift or whatever on, and his doesn't?

I'm not worried about it on my new TV at all. Games will be played.

Another poster just posted an example you can take a look at. There are a litany of factors that play into whether a screen will burn-in, and the sensitive nature of "omgijustruineda2000dollartv" muddies the waters a bit on both sides.

I've seen OLED screens burn-in plenty of times and it's always something to keep in mind, though it shouldn't necessarily scare anyone away from the tech presuming they're willing to take precautions and understand its vulnerabilities. Suffice it to say, I've seen burn-in on OLED screens enough that I'd advise everyone to be careful and not use static images like desktop icons, taskbars, and browser windows on them for extended periods of several hours daily. It's fine if people don't believe me and want to chance it on their very expensive TVs—some may encounter no problems or not even notice it, but those that do will wish they had thought it over first, that much should be pretty universal.

TheBoss1

I ordered the LG OLED55B6V this morning. Price was 1499 euros, sot that's a plus! I'll get the PS4 PRO at the end of the year, so I thought this was good deal.

Thank you TheBoss1 for recommending it!

At that price, you can't get a better set.

BumRush

Questions for 4K owners:

Are you satisfied with the availability and volume of 4K content out there?

What medium has impressed you the most (e.g. 4K blu rays, Netflix 4K, games, etc.)?

Questions for 4K owners:

What medium has impressed you the most (e.g. 4K blu rays, Netflix 4K, games, etc.)?

Yes.
Especially now that 4K blu-rays are here and pretty much all the main new movies (other than currently Disney mainly, which will hopefully start with GotG 2) are releasing on the format so I'm now building up a sizable library of 4K HDR movies.
It was quite slow to build before the discs launched but now I feel like we're starting to get plenty of content unless someone doesn't care about movies at all of course. I'd like to see some of the series filming in 4K to start to make the jump to disc to further fill out more content.

4K blu-rays and games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Rachet have been the most impressive to me.
Amazon 4K HDR can also be quite good though for streaming. I don't currently have Netflix but a lot of people regularly post good things.

KevinG

Questions for 4K owners:

I wish there were more content, but I got my B6 for $1150 in March and feel like I knew what I was getting into.

4K Bluray and the PS4 Pro have impressed me the most so far.

AddiF

Hard to get a good picture of it and it's more visible in person than seen here. Actually the red color on my TV is starting to look rather rough. Clouds here and there.

BOTW hearts

eG5DFB3.jpg

EDIT: pixel shift has always been on

tokkun

Now, I'm not saying that the guy who is claiming burn in is lying, but could he try posting a picture of it? I'm curious to see.

I had an E6 and played the hell out of Zelda, well over a hundred hours worth. There was never any burn in, or even image retention on mine at all. I'd go so far as to say OLED is rock solid on that front.

Maybe my set had the pixel shift or whatever on, and his doesn't?

I'm not worried about it on my new TV at all. Games will be played.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-general/2804065-oled-screen-burn-photos.html

Questions for 4K owners:

As somebody who has always historically been a videophile, I can tell you that I'm not majorly impressed with UHD Blu-rays compared to 4K HDR streams. We've hit diminishing returns for bitrate, and within a few years, we may be using the AV1 codec for streaming, which will be more than high enough quality for most people.

In the meantime, most UHD discs are only 1080p masters, upscaled, so it's almost like why make the investment when, by the time 4K masters are commonplace, streaming will be able to offer bitrates to the point of diminishing returns?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
As somebody who has always historically been a videophile, I can tell you that I'm not majorly impressed with UHD Blu-rays compared to 4K HDR streams. We've hit diminishing returns for bitrate, and within a few years, we may be using the AV1 codec for streaming, which will be more than high enough quality for most people.

In the meantime, most UHD discs are only 1080p masters, upscaled, so it's almost like why make the investment when, by the time 4K masters are commonplace, streaming will be able to offer bitrates to the point of diminishing returns?

there's some discs which are definitely better (the actual 4k stuff)

audio wise the discs are definitely better.

but yeah, it's not a runaway win for the discs over streaming in many cases

Matticers

I'm wanting to buy a 4K TV soon and I'm thinking about a few options so I wanted to post here and see if anyone had some opinions.

I'd like to get something that's at least 55". 65" is my preference but if 55" is that much cheaper, I don't mind going with that and upgrading to 65" down the road. I was thinking about just going all out and getting the LG65C6P since it does 3D and I'd like to have that if possible. Plus, well, it's OLED. The main downside that I know of aside from the price is that it only had 3 HDMI ports which kind of sucks if you're a gamer who owns a bunch of consoles like me. I'd like to have at least 4 HDMI ports. And the screen is curved, which isn't really a negative to me but I don't really care if it's curved or not. I've never used a curved TV so I'm not sure if I'll enjoy that or not. I guess that's a non-issue.

But I'm also thinking that maybe I'm better off just getting a 65" Samsung, Sony or something similar for half the price. I don't know if anyone here has seen all of the above TVs and has some opinions on the matter. I'd probably go with a 4K LED TV if was 3D capable and was solid in that regard like the LG seems to be, had 4+ HDMI ports and was good for gaming but it seems like any newer models don't have that. I've read that full array is the thing to go for as well but I'm sure there are some people here with personal experience so I wanted to ask. I suppose I could live without the 3D feature but I own a bunch of 3D movies so having the option to watch them that way would just be nice. If not, it's not a deal breaker. And I know it would have to be an older model TV if I was really set on 3D and those are probably harder to find at this point at a good price.

I was kind of looking at the KS8000 and the X9000E since people seem to really both of those sets but I'm open to anything, really. I was also starting to look into the Vizio P series but I'm worried those all silver metal bezels will just be distracting to me. With 65" in mind, I'd probably have a limit of $3000 for an OLED which is what the LG is at but that's the high end of what I'd feel comfortable spending. And I guess I'd like to keep it around $1500 to $2000 for LED. I'm not sure what a great price for a TV with these specs would be but I'm guessing you don't see many deals going on this time of the year regardless.

Edit: Wanted to add that both 4K gaming and 4K movie watching are very important to me. I'd be watching a lot of standard blu-rays as well. But I guess I'd give gaming the slight nod of importance if I had to choose between the two.

Lima

Streaming is currently my main source for 4k content. I watch a lot of Prime and Netflix stuff. Bit PS4 Pro too and in November the X. There have been a few impressive Blu-rays but I watch pretty much everything that interests me in the cinema.

Planet Earth 2 and The Revenant were the most impressive to me so far.

Questions for 4K owners:

Yes. Very. The original cooking shows on Netflix look amazing. And I've started buying disks again for movies I like. I wish Marvel/Disney would get on the 4k UHD wagon. Seems like GotG Vol 2 might be the first.

Part of that may be the jump to OLED though. It's a massive massive upgrade versus every plasma/lcd/fald set I've previously had. Simply amazing.

Sucks about the burn in to those that have it. I guess I've been lucky? Or just play in shorter sessions?

Madness

Questions for 4K owners:

Hell no. Not even close to satisfied. Every major fucking content producer, network, television manufacturer and even software maker signed onto created the UHD Alliance and UHD Premiun spec and we have jackshit to show for it. Uprezzed 1080p content passed off as 4K, or random and poorly created content passed off as HDR. There have been very few actual 4K remasters so far. Very disappointed. I have been most impressed with UHD discs. Nothing comes close. Netflix HDR content is extremely sub-par when you actually see some quality HDR UHD discs. What can you do though.

Mrbob

Yes. Very. The original cooking shows on Netflix look amazing. And I've started buying disks again for movies I like. I wish Marvel/Disney would get on the 4k UHD wagon. Seems like GotG Vol 2 might be the first.

Part of that may be the jump to OLED though. It's a massive massive upgrade versus every plasma/lcd/fald set I've previously had. Simply amazing.

Sucks about the burn in to those that have it. I guess I've been lucky? Or just play in shorter sessions?

Agreed. I've been waiting years to finally dump LCD and have a true successor to Plasma.

Setting up my OLED tomorrow, can't wait.

Set up my new 55" X900E.. It's absolutely stunning. The HDR is immediately noticeable, and the overall image quality is beautiful. Great clarity to the image, colours look vivid and the 4k quality is also very impressive. Extremely happy with this TV.

Questions for 4K owners:

As of right now, not really but mostly I am at fault here. I only own a PS4 Pro and that doesn't support UHD Blu-Ray playback so no 4K movies to check out, that will change come November 7th tho.

I am pleased with the 4K content on streaming platforms such as Netflix and Amazon, for example The Grand Tour is visually stunning, downright amazing. Watching Stranger Things in 4K was something else as well, the image is just very crisp. I must note that my tv is 65" and I sit about 4 feet away.

So far the medium that has impressed me the most have two. Videogames and YouTube's The HDR Channel. The HDR Channel houses short videos that are specifically made to show off HDR/4K and they look absolutely stunning, with the LG Jazz video being my favorite one to watch and occasionally, show off.

https://youtu.be/mkggXE5e2yk

Gaming has also been great on the TV and I can't wait for Xbox One X. With PS4 Pro even games that don't support HDR, like Titanfall 2 I can immediately notice the bump in resolution. The Last of Us, Uncharted 4 are also visual treats. They're two games in particular that have blown me away, both in their 4K presentation and notably their use of HDR and those are Ratchet & Clank and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Imo it's those two titles that do both 4K and HDR the most justice on a capable 4K/HDR display. Absolutely taken aback when I popped in R&C for the first time and saw a night scene. Horizon is also outta this world.

RedAssedApe

Banned
As of right now, not really but mostly I am at fault here. I only own a PS4 Pro and that doesn't support UHD Blu-Ray playback so no 4K movies to check out, that will change come November 7th tho.

I am pleased with the 4K content on streaming platforms such as Netflix and Amazon, for example The Grand Tour is visually stunning, downright amazing. Watching Stranger Things in 4K was something else as well, the image is just very crisp. I must note that my tv is 65" and I sit about 4 feet away.

So far the medium that has impressed me the most have two. Videogames and YouTube's The HDR Channel. The HDR Channel houses short videos that are specifically made to show off HDR/4K and they look absolutely stunning, with the LG Jazz video being my favorite one to watch and occasionally, show off.

https://youtu.be/mkggXE5e2yk

Gaming has also been great on the TV and I can't wait for Xbox One X. With PS4 Pro even games that don't support HDR, like Titanfall 2 I can immediately notice the bump in resolution. The Last of Us, Uncharted 4 are also visual treats. They're two games in particular that have blown me away, both in there 4K presentation and notably their use of HDR and those are Ratchet & Clank and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Imo it's those two titles do both 4K and HDR the most justice on a capable 4K/HDR display. Absolutely taken aback when I popped in R&C for the first time and saw a night scene. Horizon is also outta this world.

that jazz video cracked me up. its so weird but mesmerizing. i think my favorite one so far was the x-mas lights at the zoo.

EvB

No shit huh? Sorry about that.

I've had a Kuro and Panny and broke them in before
unleashing them and got retention but never burn.
id actually had the TV for 18months before I even got the Xbox One. That was why it surprised me

A while ago i read a very positive comment, not sure if it was here, about Breaking Bad in 4K Netflix on an OLED. Sadly i'm gonna have to say i completely disagree with that. I've checked this amazing show out on my 65B6 and i don't like how it looks at all. It shows grain and overall it just doesn't look all that pleasant to look at. Take Better Call Saul for example, a much cleaner look. It's not the TV because i checked it out on my Surface Pro as well and while it's of course not as easy to notice on a 10 inch screen i can still see this show really doesn't have the clean and crisp look of many other shows. Too bad.

And this was at a viewing distance of 3 to 4 meters, let alone how it looks when it's only 2 meters. Super resolution is off, sharpness is at 10.

gamz

Welcome aboard :D As someone who also finally retired their pioneer pro plasma, i can safely say you wont be disappointed from the get go :)

Dammit. I REALLY want one but it'll be another year or two before I get one.

If I didn't have kids I wouldn't think twice, just like when I put down 4500 for my 8G Kuro Elite.

Dammit. I REALLY want one but it'll be another year or two before I get one.

If I didn't have kids I wouldn't think twice, just like when I put down 4500 for my 8G Kuro Elite.

The kuro here when i bought it (australia) was 8000AUD (it was scarce at the time and retailers were scalping lol)

Ill be honest, i regretted it for a good 6 months mainly because it hurt my wallet HARD at the time, but looking back, i would do it all over again. Lasted me SO long and not until OLED did i see a good enough upgrade. EASILY the best piece of consumer electronics i have EVER bought.

gamz

The kuro here when i bought it (australia) was 8000AUD (it was scarce at the time and retailers were scalping lol)

Ill be honest, i regretted it for a good 6 months mainly because it hurt my wallet HARD at the time, but looking back, i would do it all over again. Lasted me SO long and not until OLED did i see a good enough upgrade. EASILY the best piece of consumer electronics i have EVER bought.

I never ever regretted it. It still to this day is an incredible looking TV and it's, what, 9 years old? I remember when I got it a friend came over who just got the newest Sony LCD model and wasn't sold on plasma's. I but in a few Blu-Rays and 1/2 hour later he got up and left. I said where are you going and he said "I'm selling my Sony" LOL! He ended up with the 9G.

I've owned Panny's but they never scratched the itch like the Kuro's. The LG's are the only TV's that gave me that same wow factor. Damn kids!

Macaco84

Perhaps someone that owns a sony xe90 could comment on something that is concerning me. I own the 65 inch version, not sure if it makes a difference.

I know this set uses a panel that isnt great for viewing angles but im not sure if the issues are seeing are normal viewing angle problems or is something specific to my tv.

When i switch off all the devices connected to the tv and i am left with the black screen saying "no signal check the external input..." etc there are three items of white text on the screen. One in the top left that shows my current connection (e.g. Hdmi1), one in the top right that shows the time and one in the bottom right with the no signal message. All three of these cause the surrounding area (as much as 8 or 9 inches for the cloud around the no signal message) to significantly brighten and the degree of this brightness increases as i widen the angle away from centre i.e. the more to the side of the tv i am the more noticeable it is. Obviously more noticeable at night compared to the day. Viewing the screen straight on it is barely noticeable. A slight cloud around them but nothing serious.

Is this normal? It looks pretty damn ugly. I thought this set was fald so wouldnt show such a cloud of light around white text.

I have great news. The repair service has just left my house. To make a long story short....

The guy didn't even need to see the videoclips of the issues my 65B6 was suffering from. He went into the service menu and saw a row of information about the TV's CPU and at several of these it said ''abnormal'' and that's clearly not good. He replaced the mainboard with a new one and it should be fine now. :)

gamz

I have great news. The repair service has just left my house. To make a long story short....

The guy didn't even need to see the videoclips of the issues my 65B6 was suffering from. He went into the service menu and saw a row of information about the TV's CPU and at several of these it said ''abnormal'' and that's clearly not good. He replaced the mainboard with a new one and it should be fine now. :)

Glad to hear it worked out man!

Great. :)

Marmelade

Perhaps someone that owns a sony xe90 could comment on something that is concerning me. I own the 65 inch version, not sure if it makes a difference.

I know this set uses a panel that isnt great for viewing angles but im not sure if the issues are seeing are normal viewing angle problems or is something specific to my tv.

When i switch off all the devices connected to the tv and i am left with the black screen saying "no signal check the external input..." etc there are three items of white text on the screen. One in the top left that shows my current connection (e.g. Hdmi1), one in the top right that shows the time and one in the bottom right with the no signal message. All three of these cause the surrounding area (as much as 8 or 9 inches for the cloud around the no signal message) to significantly brighten and the degree of this brightness increases as i widen the angle away from centre i.e. the more to the side of the tv i am the more noticeable it is. Obviously more noticeable at night compared to the day. Viewing the screen straight on it is barely noticeable. A slight cloud around them but nothing serious.

Is this normal? It looks pretty damn ugly. I thought this set was fald so wouldnt show such a cloud of light around white text.

Seems normal for a FALD TV with only 20 or so zones.
Blooming will always be more apparent if you're watching the TV from an angle.

From rtings X900E review:
" Is there much blooming/haloing with specular highlights? Can you confirm the X900E does not and will not support Dolby Vision? Thank you!

The TV does produce some blooming when displaying our test pattern, but this is mostly visible on a black background and shouldn't be a big issue in most scenes. The X900E does not support Dolby vision currently and Sony hasn't announced any plans to update the TV with support for it. "

Lethal

Neo Member
Guys...quick question about B7P55

Got one coming on Sunday. However, this is China so no Google apps. However, I will be using it in Hong Kong which is outside the great firewall. Is it possible to side load on webos? Or change the region or something? A Google gave me info from years ago

Macaco84

Seems normal for a FALD TV with only 20 or so zones.
Blooming will always be more apparent if you're watching the TV from an angle.

From rtings X900E review:
" Is there much blooming/haloing with specular highlights? Can you confirm the X900E does not and will not support Dolby Vision? Thank you!

The TV does produce some blooming when displaying our test pattern, but this is mostly visible on a black background and shouldn't be a big issue in most scenes. The X900E does not support Dolby vision currently and Sony hasn't announced any plans to update the TV with support for it. "

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Just for reference i did a quick check on my 32 inch sony led i bought a few years back (i assume edge lit) and i dont get the same blooming problems. The screen uniformity is worse for sure and there is light bleed at the edges of the screen but the blooming around white text (when viewing at an angle) is vastly reduced. Is this kind of blooming specific to fald?

TheBoss1

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Just for reference i did a quick check on my 32 inch sony led i bought a few years back (i assume edge lit) and i dont get the same blooming problems. The screen uniformity is worse for sure and there is light bleed at the edges of the screen but the blooming around white text (when viewing at an angle) is vastly reduced. Is this kind of blooming specific to fald?

Yes.

Awesome! That always feels good, esp with how's much you spent on the TV. Good to know LG has solid customer support too.

Macaco84

Ok, seems like a significant weakness of the technology. I assume the more zones you have on the panel the less an issue this becomes.

The tv is still quite obviously superior to edge lit in all other areas but this is a proper eye sore when viewing any white on black when the room is dark.

Just watched The Lego Batman movie in Dolby Vision through the Vudu app on my B6 and the visuals were incredible! Dolby Vision is the real deal and it beats the performance of any of my UHD discs in HDR10. No black crush or banding I could spot.

I can only imagine how good DV discs look!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I never ever regretted it. It still to this day is an incredible looking TV and it's, what, 9 years old? I remember when I got it a friend came over who just got the newest Sony LCD model and wasn't sold on plasma's. I but in a few Blu-Rays and 1/2 hour later he got up and left. I said where are you going and he said "I'm selling my Sony" LOL! He ended up with the 9G.

I've owned Panny's but they never scratched the itch like the Kuro's. The LG's are the only TV's that gave me that same wow factor. Damn kids!

I still have my 9G Kuro and it's been, and still is, amazing. It'll hopefully last me a year or so, before I jump into OLED.

TheBoss1

Ok, seems like a significant weakness of the technology. I assume the more zones you have on the panel the less an issue this becomes.

The tv is still quite obviously superior to edge lit in all other areas but this is a proper eye sore when viewing any white on black when the room is dark.

Well unless you always watch TV with white text caption this shouldn't be a big deal. Did you try turning down the Auto Local Dimming setting to low or medium? Maybe it might help with the blooming.

Just watched The Lego Batman movie in Dolby Vision through the Vudu app on my B6 and the visuals were incredible! Dolby Vision is the real deal and it beats the performance of any of my UHD discs in HDR10. No black crush or banding I could spot.

I can only imagine how good DV discs look!

Have you compared the same movie using both? I think DV looks better than HDR10 as well, but I'll take a UHD blu-ray with HDR10 over streaming DV any day. The higher bit rate outweighs any benefits DV has, IMO.

geordiemp

Has the LG b6 now had the patch for low input lag.

Its been a while since I checked, and every time I did the UK was still waiting.

Thinking of getting an LG B6 or 8000 mainly for gaming on Ps4 pro

Has the LG b6 now had the patch for low input lag.

Its been a while since I checked, and every time I did the UK was still waiting.

Thinking of getting an LG B6 or 8000 mainly for gaming on Ps4 pro

It did get the patch. HDR Game mode is slightly dimmer than the other HDR modes but input lag is very low and games still look great. I would go with the LG B6 over the KS8000 if you aren't worried about money.

J-Rzez

My personal picks to help people out:

Can afford a LG x6/7 or A1E OLED and don't have ridiculous amounts of light? Buy OLED.

75"? Sony Z9, Sony 940E. Maybe 900E.

Budget premium $1,000-2,000 for 55-65" LED? Sony 900E.

Low price sub-$1,000? TCL or Hisense.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I can effectively buy the LG 55 C6 for £1400 this week (B6 is basically sold out).

That price is almost the same as a LED of the same size. No brainier right? It's that or wait til 2017's models come down to that price range.

RomeoDog

Banned
I can effectively buy the LG 55 C6 for £1400 this week (B6 is basically sold out).

That price is almost the same as a LED of the same size. No brainier right? It's that or wait til 2017's models come down to that price range.

2017 models don't have 3d if thats something you might enjoy. The C6 is secretly the best 3d tv on the market.

schlynch

Ehhh. I was thinking about getting a new TV and read some of the reviews on rtings. But I'm really confused about the different models. I think this (XBR55X900E) one looks ace but I can't find it in local online shops. How can I get this thing in Europe/Germany? Any good site that lists the different model numbers?

Stiler

Ehhh. I was thinking about getting a new TV and read some of the reviews on rtings. But I'm really confused about the different models. I think this (XBR55X900E) one looks ace but I can't find it in local online shops. How can I get this thing in Europe/Germany? Any good site that lists the different model numbers?

It's in the rtings like you posted, scroll down to where it says "Differences between sizes and variants" and it lists the EU model numbers.

XE9005 in the EU.

Top Bottom