• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

BlizzyAzz

Ehhh. I was thinking about getting a new TV and read some of the reviews on rtings. But I'm really confused about the different models. I think this (XBR55X900E) one looks ace but I can't find it in local online shops. How can I get this thing in Europe/Germany? Any good site that lists the different model numbers?

https://geizhals.de/sony-kd-55xe9005-a1582448.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

Video Review in "Deutsch":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr58nc9v49I&t=473s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7H0y241ehc

geordiemp

I can effectively buy the LG 55 C6 for £1400 this week (B6 is basically sold out).

That price is almost the same as a LED of the same size. No brainier right? It's that or wait til 2017's models come down to that price range.

So can I, but noticed the B6 seems to be available onljne for same price, prefer the flat for wall mount myself

Awesome! That always feels good, esp with how's much you spent on the TV. Good to know LG has solid customer support too.

Oh for sure man. They were a great help and i am very happy about this. :)

I have one question about something else though, i don't really get it.

So i've been testing Netflix on the Xbox One and the TV app and i noticed something that i just can't figure out what is the reason of. I was watching a scene of The Force Awakens with TV volume on 17 and medium on the subwoofer, this was on Xbox One. The sound was very loud and the sub very powerful. With exactly the same sound options and settings enabled on the TV app i watch that same scene and the sound is very low and the sub very weak. I already tried putting the TV volume much higher, like 40 and the sub at high, but i never quite reach that same audio experience as on Xbox One.

Is this perhaps that there's a better soundcard in the Xbox One or something? It's unfortunete because there is plenty of 4K and HDR content on Netflix i can only watch on the TV app but the best audio experience is on Xbox One....

BumRush

Just watched The Lego Batman movie in Dolby Vision through the Vudu app on my B6 and the visuals were incredible! Dolby Vision is the real deal and it beats the performance of any of my UHD discs in HDR10. No black crush or banding I could spot.

I can only imagine how good DV discs look!

I haven't seen anything in DV yet but this is great to hear

kipsta

Guys, I need help deciding between these 2 TV's:
Sony KD43X7000E
Samsung MU6100

43 Inches it the max for my space at the moment, but I want 4k/hdr, and im tossing up between the 2. Any input is appreciated thank you!

Polo9

Neo Member
Question... LG 55 B6V at 1600 euro vs LG 55 B7V at 1800 euro...which one should I buy in your opinion? Thanks!

You should use the TV's Netflix.

Oh i am, but i was wondering how this is for Xbox One S since it supports HDR and when One X releases i plan to only watch Netflix on Xbox from there on. Reason why is:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=242327895&postcount=8853

Very very unfortunete that the overall sound experience is so much weaker than on Netflix on Xbox. I don't get it. It's the Netflix app causing this because i tested Youtube and the sound is exactly the same as on Xbox.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
So can I, but noticed the B6 seems to be available onljne for same price, prefer the flat for wall mount myself

Where you seeing the B6 for £1400? I'd order from somewhere with a good warranty.

I hear the C6 is actually the better tv and the curve is very subtle.

Mrbob

With streaming though if your device supports Dolby Vision would you really need xb1 to support dv as well? DV is part of the digital encoding so shouldn't the tv process that?

Gaenor

Banned
Is there a website that rates the quality of UHD Blu-Ray movies ?

I'd like to know which ones are in true 4k and not just upresed 1080p.

RomeoDog

Banned
Is there a website that rates the quality of UHD Blu-Ray movies ?

I'd like to know which ones are in true 4k and not just upresed 1080p.
Movies were originally rendered in 4k for cinema projection.

Remasters from film are also higher than 4k.

No up ressing on UHD needed.. they already have movies in 4k.

Movies were originally rendered in 4k for cinema projection.

Remasters from film are also higher than 4k.

No up ressing on UHD needed.. they already have movies in 4k.

There's actually a lot of so called UHDs that the original source material was FHD or 2K. A lot more than I'd like tbh.

Klotera

There's actually a lot of so called UHDs that the original source material was FHD or 2K. A lot more than I'd like tbh.

And strangely, some that were actually shot above 2k, but then used a 2k digital intermediate (I believe John Wick 2 falls in this category).

That being said, if it has a good HDR presentation, it's probably still worth picking up over the regular Blu-ray.

The content on Netflix that is offered in Dolby Vision, is that always 4K? I ask this because i don't see the Ultra HD 4K written next to the Dolby Vision logo, but i doubt HD content is in Dolby Vision as well? I also ask it because shows like Blacklist for example or Meredian are very sharp, very crisp, while Marco Polo isn't nearly as crisp.

Mercador

I need some suggestions to trying to find the TV I need

I got a new TV for my 40 years old anniversary, I can choose whichever I like but I'll limit myself to 1500-2000$CDN.

What I'm looking for is:
- 65'' flat
- HDR (if possible)

It will used mainly for gaming (70%), a bit of movies and sports (30%).

I'm used to Samsung products, but I don't mind Vizio, LG or Sony.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm looking for a starting point (too much tv nowadays)

JB1981

I got a new TV for my 40 years old anniversary, I can choose whichever I like but I'll limit myself to 1500-2000$CDN.

What I'm looking for is:
- 65'' flat
- HDR (if possible)

Any help would be appreciated, I'm looking for a starting point (too much tv nowadays)

Sony X900E

dEvAnGeL

Sony X900E
Have they really got their act together with tv's now? I've had to Sony tv's and have regretted purchasing them, Samsung on the other hand have never been bad for me, i still have the first Samsung HDTV that i bought over 8 years ago and it works like a charm.

Problem with the Sony X900e is it won't get updated to Dolby Vision apparently. Only the one's with X1 extreme chip like the X930e and up will get it. Probably goes for many other HDTVs.

Some are hoping for HDR10+ to be as good so no need for it. Sucks that in 2017 this stuff is still going on.

Mercador

Well, I could wait for Thanksgiving so I could end up with something better for the same price. What's the HDR fight ?

vpance

Problem with the Sony X900e is it won't get updated to Dolby Vision apparently. Only the one's with X1 extreme chip like the X930e and up will get it. Probably goes for many other HDTVs.

Some are hoping for HDR10+ to be as good so no need for it. Sucks that in 2017 this stuff is still going on.

Wouldn't really worry about it. The difference isn't earth shattering for brighter TVs with less tone mapping to deal with. And by the time all content has DV, there will be HDR10+ which is looking like it will replace HDR10 eventually. 90% sure they will make it work on HDMI 2.0 too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On my Sony x93d I often see blacks/shadows appearing as red. Any ideas what area in the settings I need to tweak for that? Don’t want to adjust things willy nilly

Playing Horizon Zero Dawn in 4K and HDR on the X900e has been a terrific experience. This thing can get so bright, and lighting looks so natural. This technology definitely exceeded my expectations, and the X900e is a very good quality tv in terms of screen uniformity, clarity and contrast/black performance. I previously had a Panasonic plasma so I was afraid I'd miss out on the uniformity and black levels. A great tv, hope others give it a real look if you're not compelled to go OLED.

MrFlooD

What I'm looking for is:
- 65'' flat
- HDR (if possible)

Vizio P series at Costco. Perfect gaming TV.

Lima

So Dolby Vision is more future proof

If anything with HDR10+ coming next year part of HDMI 2.1 DV has less of a future.

HDR10+ is basically the same thing under the open standard for HDR which means neither TV manufacturers nor content creators have to pay the DV license fee.

Mercador

Well, I'm looking for something for the next 8-10 years. I still have a Samsung 46" from 2009.

If HDR+ is software based, then I guess I should look for Samsung.

MrFlooD

Well, I'm looking for something for the next 8-10 years. I still have a Samsung 46" from 2009.

If HDR+ is software based, then I guess I should look for Samsung.

Your asking alot for your budget. Call around to try to find a 65' Samsung KS8000. If do find one, it will like be closer to $2500 CDN.

If that's out of the budget, than I highly suggest the Vizio P. Vizio has been excellent with firmware updates as well.

Klotera

Have they really got their act together with tv's now? I've had to Sony tv's and have regretted purchasing them, Samsung on the other hand have never been bad for me, i still have the first Samsung HDTV that i bought over 8 years ago and it works like a charm.

I'd have to know more about what your history with Sony TVs is. I've had no issue. My previous TV (which I actually still have, but is no longer my primary) was a Sony non-HDR 4K and I loved it and the x900e has been solid. Part of the reason I went for the Sony is that I feel like their upscaling from non-4k is far superior to other TVs (purely based on my own observations). Given that most content is still 1080p, that's a big deal to me.

Mercador

Your asking alot for your budget. Call around to try to find a 65' Samsung KS8000. If do find one, it will like be closer to $2500 CDN.

If that's out of the budget, than I highly suggest the Vizio P. Vizio has been excellent with firmware updates as well.
Since I don't change often, I'm trying to get the sweet spot at 1500$. 2000$+ is too much for a TV since prices drop often. I don't mind waiting for the black Friday.

I wish I could put 11k on the tv but my wife won't be happy with the price tag *grin*

Edit: I don't know why but the KS8000 is unavailable, don't tell me it used for ether mining :p I postponed my PC purchase because of it.

Stiler

Since I don't change often, I'm trying to get the sweet spot at 1500$. 2000$+ is too much for a TV since prices drop often. I don't mind waiting for the black Friday.

I wish I could put 11k on the tv but my wife won't be happy with the price tag *grin*

Edit: I don't know why but the KS8000 is unavailable, don't tell me it used for ether mining :p I postponed my PC purchase because of it.

The Ks8000 is the 2016 model, it's been replaced by the newer models. Like most tv's when they phase out a model it gets a price drop at first, but at the tail end when it's harder to find them it goes up.

KS8000 is not a tv that I'd recommend, especially if you want one for movies. It's edge lit and isn't fald, suffers from blooming with a pillar effect since it isn't fald.

It was a good tv at the time for gaming/hdr (it was one of the brighter hdr screens and had low input lag) but its not as good for movies as some others.

The X900E is a good mid-range fald tv for right now if you don't want to wait for the tcl 65" coming later this year.

The LG B6 oled is probably the best higher end tv you can find at a decent value compared to other oleds, but like the KS8000 (since it's a 2016 model and has been replaced by a newer model this year) it's going to get harder to find as the year goes.

Black Friday and after Christmas are usually the two best times to buy a tv during the year because of the sales.

Stiler

OLED is out of my league, too expensive.

I don't know TCL, it's a new brand?

The B6 can be had via ebay/open box from time to time for like 1300-1400 usd.

TCL isn't a new brand, in fact they are the 3rd largest tv maker in the world, ahead of Sony and just below LG/Samsung.

In the US they have made tv's under the RCA name in the past (which is why a lot of people here haven't heard of the brand name) but have shifted to making them under their own TCL name in the past few years in the US.

Mrbob

So I set up my OLED today and had an interesting first impression. At first I was slightly disappointed because I tried forza horizon 3 and planet Earth 2 on my xb1s and didn't see a big improvement for what I thought was hdr. Then I realized my yamaha amp and OLED tv were not in 444 mode. Enabled 444 mode, then HDR kicked in and my God. I'm a believer now. Don't really care as much about resolution increase but hdr is the real deal. The lighting in Forza horizon 3 is insane. Playing the hot wheels area is a real treat with hdr enabled. And planet Earth 2, wow. If you want a 4k uhd that will sell anyone on hdr get planet Earth 2. It's breathtaking in hdr.

I now need hdr in everything in my life. I am officially saddened that hdr support on PC is garbage. But hopefully with hdr monitors coming out this year more PC games will support hdr.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So, I'm surprised and kind of shocked that my new TV doesn't have Picture in Picture. It's a 2017 50" Samsung UHD TV. PIP would be amazing. I'd use it all the time. Do TVs not come with PIP anymore? Or did I just luck out? I mean my 2006 32" Polaroid had PIP. Seems like a feature that they could literally build in with a software update or something. Is there a technical reason? Did PIP just die off in the last 11 years and go the way of 3D?

I would totally have the YouTube app constantly open in PIP while playing my games full screen. (Like I can on my MacBook.)

So I set up my OLED today and had an interesting first impression. At first I was slightly disappointed because I tried forza horizon 3 and planet Earth 2 on my xb1s and didn't see a big improvement for what I thought was hdr. Then I realized my yamaha amp and OLED tv were not in 444 mode. Enabled 444 mode, then HDR kicked in and my God. I'm a believer now. Don't really care as much about resolution increase but hdr is the real deal. The lighting in Forza horizon 3 is insane. Playing the hot wheels area is a real treat with hdr enabled. And planet Earth 2, wow. If you want a 4k uhd that will sell anyone on hdr get planet Earth 2. It's breathtaking in hdr.

I now need hdr in everything in my life. I am officially saddened that hdr support on PC is garbage. But hopefully with hdr monitors coming out this year more PC games will support hdr.

How did you switch them into 444 mode?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I was thinking you did something else.

RedAssedApe

Banned
For those of you who picked up a tcl 55p605/607 how's your gray uniformity? rtings and cnet mentioned it being pretty bad on their test sets but always seem to downplay it and DSE. On my second set and scheduled to exchange for a third:

First: a couple of off center dead pixels you can't see. all corner flashlighting (seems to be the norm)

Second: no dead pixels. same corner flashlighting but also some clouding near the top. worse gray uniformity. I can pick out darker horizontal splotches/banding center right when viewing the blue ps4 ui.panning the camera and looking at the sky during gaming I see the DSE. Quite annoying. Overall worst than the first

Was too focused on the flashlighting on the first set I guess to realize there were probably worse things. Damn that panel lottery...

Top Bottom