• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Currently looking at a LG oled65e6v. Is this TV any good? I'm new to the whole HDR thing. Will this work with PS4 PRO And XBOX ONE (ONE X as well?) Any good? Or not right for me?, Cheers! :)

Yes, it's a good TV. Of course, everything is "good" for the right price, so that context might help.

All of the 6 series (last year) LG OLEDs are great. Rtings noted in the review of the C7 (this year's) unless you have a couple specific needs related to PC use, the 6 series are mostly as good as the current new ones for this year.

dsk1210

Don't use your monitor regularly on the TV unless you want it to burn in. You're gonna get some burn in.

Nonsense.

I have used oled tv's for 3 years as a monitor and never had burn in. Just be sensible and have a screen saver on for when you are idling.

Hackbert

i am moving end of month, and will get a bigger livingroom. so i guess i will switch and upgrade my tv soon. looking at the Sony X900E right now, for use with the ps4 pro. are there any users here with a few impressions maybe?

i have to say i like LGs webOS, so i will see how i like android.

Klotera

i am moving end of month, and will get a bigger livingroom. so i guess i will switch and upgrade my tv soon. looking at the Sony X900E right now, for use with the ps4 pro. are there any users here with a few impressions maybe?

i have to say i like LGs webOS, so i will see how i like android.

I just got the 55" x900e this past weekend. Balance of price/quality/features seemed to be the best fit. I've been very happy with it. Coming from a non-HDR 4K TV, the color was amazing. Horizon: Zero Dawn immediately jumped out at me when I loaded it up after having played about 15 hours into on my previous TV. In fact, I accidentally had it at 1080p with HDR and didn't even notice the lower resolution, as the color added so much on its own.

The regional dimming does a good job of creating dark black and balancing bright areas in part of the screen with dark areas elsewhere. There is minor glow when you have just white text against a black background, but that's expected from an LED with regional dimming. In most scenes, it's not noticeable. I had an edge lit before, so this looks great to me.

I was impressed with how little calibration was needed out of the box. If you choose Expert 1 for color temperature, it's just about right. Most TVs I've had, I've had to jack with the settings for a while to get colors to look right to me. I basically went with the settings suggested by rtings for regular TV and HDR. For gaming, I actually like the default game mode settings.

I already used an Nvidia Shield, so I'm accustomed to and like Android TV. It has all the apps I need, including some specialized ones I need like Ds Video for Synology and Kodi. It doesn't run as well as my Shield does, but it's nice to have it integrated.

One minor note is that the included YouTube app doesn't do HDR yet for some reason. I also picked up a Sony Ubp-x800 UHD Blu-ray player and the YouTube app on that does do HDR (I've actually just sat and watched HDR demo clips on there for a while, it looks so good).

Macaco84

I just got the 55" x900e this past weekend. Balance of price/quality/features seemed to be the best fit. I've been very happy with it. Coming from a non-HDR 4K TV, the color was amazing. Horizon: Zero Dawn immediately jumped out at me when I loaded it up after having played about 15 hours into on my previous TV. In fact, I accidentally had it at 1080p with HDR and didn't even notice the lower resolution, as the color added so much on its own.

The regional dimming does a good job of creating dark black and balancing bright areas in part of the screen with dark areas elsewhere. There is minor glow when you have just white text against a black background, but that's expected from an LED with regional dimming. In most scenes, it's not noticeable. I had an edge lit before, so this looks great to me.

I was impressed with how little calibration was needed out of the box. If you choose Expert 1 for color temperature, it's just about right. Most TVs I've had, I've had to jack with the settings for a while to get colors to look right to me. I basically went with the settings suggested by rtings for regular TV and HDR. For gaming, I actually like the default game mode settings.

I already used an Nvidia Shield, so I'm accustomed to and like Android TV. It has all the apps I need, including some specialized ones I need like Ds Video for Synology and Kodi. It doesn't run as well as my Shield does, but it's nice to have it integrated.

One minor note is that the included YouTube app doesn't do HDR yet for some reason. I also picked up a Sony Ubp-x800 UHD Blu-ray player and the YouTube app on that does do HDR (I've actually just sat and watched HDR demo clips on there for a while, it looks so good).

Out of interest, did you have to lower the gamma to avoid the picture looking a bit washed out? On sdr and hdr content.i spent quite some time tinkering with the settings as everything seemed a bit 'bright' at first. Lowering gamma did the trick.

Klotera

Out of interest, did you have to lower the gamma to avoid the picture looking a bit washed out? On sdr and hdr content.i spent quite some time tinkering with the settings as everything seemed a bit 'bright' at first. Lowering gamma did the trick.

For HDR, I haven't had any issues with it looking washed out.

For SDR, I did play around with various options, particularly whether or not to lower brightness and use extended dynamic range or turn off xdr and up the brightness. I've landed on keeping the brightness low (at 4) and turning the xdr on. Looks okay so far to my eyes. With the brightness higher and xdr on, it did look washed out.

Edit: Didnt mess with the Gamma. I may try tonight, just to see what it looks like for me.

Necron

Burn In? No, not an issue, unless you plan to display the same picture for several days or something which is why personally I would still not recommend an OLED TV as a pure PC desktop monitor.
For gaming? Fine, absolutely and the few unlucky cases that DID have burn in are more the expection than Plasma owners.
Not to be confused with image retention that is more common, though in my case I have only seen it like 1-2 times.

I think you are confusing burn in for image retention. Burn in is permanent, image retention is not, it's easy to get the terms confused though since most people will use burn in for image retention.

Most oled's don't have burn in issues like plasma's did, they do have image retention issues though. However it's something that is usually cleaned up via the built in software that will clean it automatically (or you can run it manually on most sets if you want).

Using a pc monitor it shouldn't cause burn in as long as you don't leave the screen on 24/7 on the exact same view and never play games/watch movies or anything and let the tv run its image cleaning program every so often.

Rtings has only ever encountered 1 oled that had actual burn in (IE permanent image stuck to screen) issues.

Thanks! Yeah, I didn't know the distinction between the two terms and thought the were the same. So very little to worry about then, fortunately.

Macaco84

For HDR, I haven't had any issues with it looking washed out.

For SDR, I did play around with various options, particularly whether or not to lower brightness and use extended dynamic range or turn off xdr and up the brightness. I've landed on keeping the brightness low (at 4) and turning the xdr on. Looks okay so far to my eyes. With the brightness higher and xdr on, it did look washed out.

Edit: Didnt mess with the Gamma. I may try tonight, just to see what it looks like for me.

Interesting. U took the opposite approach to me. I have brightness high (about 30) for sdr and it defaults to max for hdr. Then black level 45 and gamma -2 to balance the blacks. My xdr is completely off, so is advanced contrast enhancer.

Saw the x900e today along side an A1 oled and C7. Very impressive how comparable 900e is when sitting head on, it has the look of a hybrid lcd/oled. Could also see how oled has some black detail and brightness flaws in some scenes, they couldn't really handle this daytime horizon sky view where the 900e excelled but obviously overall in other scenes black level was better and viewing angle is stunning on oled. A 65" oled in the living room takes the cake for sheer spectacle.

For my mostly PC use and overall balance I'd go for the X900e. I was thinking of 49" but 55" is the way to go if you can if sat at 5-8ft. Now I just need to see the x930e.

QLED, looked nice enough but uniformity was quite off for some reason, not really looked into the tech behind it but was surprised, I suspect maybe the local dimming, it's like a large hot spot in the middle and fades out.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
How much did you guys buy a LG OLED 55B6V for? I'm starting to look into it and it's seriously tempting.

Is this TV lacking anything that I should be concerned about over the next 5+ years? OLED is cutting edge right?

I was looking st the KS7000 and this seems like a step up.

How much did you guys buy a LG OLED 55B6V for? I'm starting to look into it and it's seriously tempting.

Is this TV lacking anything that I should be concerned about over the next 5+ years? OLED is cutting edge right?

In the next 5 years? Well, while we can't predict the future, 5 years isn't really that much time. I think you'd be ok. OLED is godly beautiful, it has HDR (which might end up taking 5 years to sort itself out, to be honest), and the input lag isn't too bad thanks to updates.

I've got this year's C7 (and only upgraded from last year's E6 because 34 ms input lag is too high for me), and plan on keeping it for the next couple years.

I think you'd be fine and loving it over the next 5 years. Hell, most would love to be in the position to be able to get an OLED. The only thing to be concerned with: is 55 inches big enough for you? ;)

Stiler

I was looking st the KS7000 and this seems like a step up.

If you are wanting to buy a tv for future proofing and to last you for 5+ years then you might want to wait til this coming year. That's when HDMI 2.1 is coming and it's going to be the next big step up.
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

Especially if you are a gamer because of this:
"Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing."

Which is basically G-sync/freesync for tv's.

As far as current panels, OLED's are the best (and most expensive) right now. Then you have FALD (full array local dimming) lcd's, and then edge-lit lcd's at the bottom.

The best budget-tv is the recently released TCL 55P607 (and 55p605, which is the same tv but with a different remote sold via bestbuy). It's an FALD tv that'll run you $599 and offers 4k/hdr10/dolby vision and uses the roku app built in.

A lot of people are going budget route to tide over until the big HDMI 2.1 tv's come out next year and seeing how that plays out.

Kambing

I just bought a Sony 43 800D for use as a desktop monitor... holy shit that size is still too big for me for desk usage. Really cements waiting for that 27 or 34 inch HDR monitor. Seems like 32-34 inches will be the sweet spot for me tbh. The picture quality is average enough, decent with ambient light. But going to return it.

Not that OLED needs more praise, but christ almighty is the quality apparent switching from the edge lit... I've been spoiled by the damn contrast ratio and 0.1 ms response time. Godly. Good thing i don't have my Kuro anymore because compared to the 800D the C7 hands-down beats it in motion. This is with BFI enabled. Good stuff. You don't know how good you have it until you've spent some money on something worse lol

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Nonsense.

I have used oled tv's for 3 years as a monitor and never had burn in. Just be sensible and have a screen saver on for when you are idling.

Let him go ahead and get burn-in on that TV whilst acknowledging that it's irrelevant how many OLED TVs you have used as monitors. I've seen it happen on this specific model. Different televisions have differing susceptibility to retention, but I like your sweeping generalizations better.

OK guys,

Anyone with a OLED with optical input that doesn't have a great home cinema set but DOES want to use the internal TV speakers and wants some extra punch when watching movies or playing games with gunshots and explosions, get the LG SWH1. It only set me back 40 euros and it makes watching movies and playing games lovely. Much fuller sound, much more power behind things that should have a bit of bass. :)

If you are wanting to buy a tv for future proofing and to last you for 5+ years then you might want to wait til this coming year. That's when HDMI 2.1 is coming and it's going to be the next big step up.
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

Especially if you are a gamer because of this:
"Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing."

Which is basically G-sync/freesync for tv's.

Is anything known about the support in 2018? Consoles and AMD GPUs?

I'm sceptical that 2.1 will roll out in 2018 given the wait last time but if it does I'm expecting 2019 to see worthwhile suppor and maybe Nvidia to adopt last?

MacAttack

Anybody using RTings.com picture settings on the TCL P607? I was testing them out last night in a dark room and they seemed pretty dark. Im not sure if Im just used to the default settings that have the brightness cranked way up.

Two settings that Im unsure about:

Picture mode: Movie - This has a huge effect on the overall brightness relative to the other modes. I like the overall picture but it loses a lot of the "wow" factor.

Backlight: rtings recommends setting at "0". I dont mind this change but Im wondering what everyone else is doing with this one since the default setting is set on 50.

There's also the picture setting for Dolby Vision and HDR. (ie Dolby Dark, Dolby Bright)? Not sure what to choose here.

Im definitely a novice with this stuff so any advice or sharing of settings would be appreciated.

Mrbob

HDMI 2.1 is interesting....that was my main hold up too with buying a TV. However when I read XB1X is going to have HDMI 2.0 I decided to go with a HDTV now. It's great that a TV has HDMI 2.1 but you can't firmware update HDMI 2.1 into existing devices that have HDMI 2.0. You need a physical HDMI 2.1 port. The next console that will have HDMI 2.1 will be PS5? I could see video cards in 2018 having HDMI 2.1 but even then, free sync is not Gsync. So then I'm waiting for a TV with HDMI 2.1, Gsync, and hopefully at a fair price. I'll let this all play out over the next couple years and grab another HDTV in 2020/2021.

Guys, is it possible at all to go back to older firmware on a B6? For some reason i can't try it out now because the LG site is insane slow, firmware downloads take ages now.

HDMI 2.1 is interesting....that was my main hold up too with buying a TV. However when I read XB1X is going to have HDMI 2.0 I decided to go with a HDTV now. It's great that a TV has HDMI 2.1 but you can't firmware update HDMI 2.1 into existing devices that have HDMI 2.0. You need a physical HDMI 2.1 port. The next console that will have HDMI 2.1 will be PS5? I could see video cards in 2018 having HDMI 2.1 but even then, free sync is not Gsync. So then I'm waiting for a TV with HDMI 2.1, Gsync, and hopefully at a fair price. I'll let this all play out over the next couple years and grab another HDTV in 2020/2021.

Where I'm at right now.

I'll buy a 4k HDTV soon then go deep in whether it's 2019/20/21. I can't see NVidia being on-board until 2019. Consoles could start using 2.1 later on but I just can't see anything worthwhile coming until 2019 or beyond and by that time I'd rather getting an up to spec OLED or whatever in 2019 onwards.

dsk1210

Let him go ahead and get burn-in on that TV whilst acknowledging that it's irrelevant how many OLED TVs you have used as monitors. I've seen it happen on this specific model. Different televisions have differing susceptibility to retention, but I like your sweeping generalizations better.

Retention is different to burn in.

Retention is temporary.

Burn in is permanent and does not happen.

Do you use an Oled TV? I am guessing not.

I was thinking about buying the lg c7 65 inch sometime this year cause it seems to provide a really good picture quality and low input lag. The question I have is, if I connect the picture via HDMI through my receiver and to the TV, will the receiver cause additional input lag? If that's the case, are there any info on which receivers has the lowest input lag?

Sorry for my shitty English, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.

Stiler

Anybody using RTings.com picture settings on the TCL P607? I was testing them out last night in a dark room and they seemed pretty dark. Im not sure if Im just used to the default settings that have the brightness cranked way up.

Two settings that Im unsure about:

Picture mode: Movie - This has a huge effect on the overall brightness relative to the other modes. I like the overall picture but it loses a lot of the "wow" factor.

Backlight: rtings recommends setting at "0". I dont mind this change but Im wondering what everyone else is doing with this one since the default setting is set on 50.

There's also the picture setting for Dolby Vision and HDR. (ie Dolby Dark, Dolby Bright)? Not sure what to choose here.

Im definitely a novice with this stuff so any advice or sharing of settings would be appreciated.

Movie mode = more accurate colors, they get you the closest to what the movie/tv show makers had in mind in regards to the colors that you see on screen.

Vivid/dynamic and others focus on a cooler image that will look more vibrant and have a "pop" to it (what most tv's in the stores are set to) but the colors you are seeing aren't as accurate to what the director had in mind when shooting the movie.

This explains it more:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/whats-the-best-picture-mode/

I was thinking about buying the lg c7 65 inch sometime this year cause it seems to provide a really good picture quality and low input lag. The question I have is, if I connect the picture via HDMI through my receiver and to the TV, will the receiver cause additional input lag? If that's the case, are there any info on which receivers has the lowest input lag?

Depends on the AVR.
They shouldn't add any input lag when using passthrough and/or game mode, but my old one, an Onkyo 807, added a bit, while my current Denon 4300 doesn't add anything thankfully. Measured myself with my Leo Bodnar lag tester.
I don't know of any site measuring input lag of AVR's.

Mrbob

Good to know. I recently purchased a Yamaha 681 receiver to go with my LG OLED TV and will set it up this weekend.

I have home theater pc with a GTX1070, from what I understand the scaling of Nvidia CPUs isn't too great? So I should just set the resolution on my pc and let the LG TV scale? My eventual goal is 4k/60 games but I won't hit that now, so I'm thinking about going to 1440P and let my TV scale to 4K.

Not sure on lag, but how old is your current receiver? 4K60 has only begun to be supported within the last couple years. Limited to 4K30 before that, and no 4K at all a couple years before that.

E: This applies to HDR and Dolby Vision as well.

Good to know. I recently purchased a Yamaha 681 to go with my LG OLED TV and will set it up this weekend.

I have home theater pc with a GTX1070, from what I understand the scaling of Nvidia CPUs isn't too great? So I should just set the resolution on my pc and let the LG TV scale? My eventual goal is 4k/60 games but I won't hit that now, so I'm thinking about going to 1440P and let my TV scale to 4K.

Eh, I just went through this entire scenario on my c7. HTPC with gtx 1080 here. You're better off scaling on the PC. The set will natively take 1440P, but not anything between that and 4K, and the 1070 is likely to be able to run some games at 1620p and 1800p, which the C7 can't take.

Also, curious where you saw that the scaling on the GPU is inferior to the internal scaler of the TV. That seems unlikely, but I guess anything's possible...

Mrbob

I was just doing some searching online and some people were complaining about the Nvidia scaling. Hard to find stuff current though as most postings were 6 to 12 months old. But if it's working for you I'll just use the nvidia gpu scaling then.

I was just doing some searching online and some people were complaining about the Nvidia scaling. Hard to find stuff current though as most postings were 6 to 12 months old. But if it's working for you I'll just use the nvidia gpu scaling then.

This will walk you through how to do it. You'll likely need the CRU tool they discuss, but it's pretty simple and straight forward

https://youtu.be/wSpHONwyBqg?t=5m51s

You can use any resolution but you need to activate the scaling.

THIS

And, I'm guessing, since HDMI 2.1 requires a physical port, it would also require those of us with audio receivers to upgrade those as well, correct?

It'll be awesome tech when it arrives, but (and this is where I may eat some crow, but I doubt it) it's years away. Enjoy the TV now.

THIS

And, I'm guessing, since HDMI 2.1 requires a physical port, it would also require those of us with audio receivers to upgrade those as well, correct?

It'll be awesome tech when it arrives, but (and this is where I may eat some crow, but I doubt it) it's years away. Enjoy the TV now.

This is incorrect.

The physical port is identical to 2.0. It's (to the poster you quoted's point) just a matter of whether manufacturers are going to release updates to support the features, as well as what (if any) of the features are even supportable.

e.g. I'm not sure if variable refresh rate is more of a hardware issue (the tv needs a new/diff processor) or a software issue. obviously, the latter is something that could be addressed through firmware, the former not so much.

And this is before we even get into the "does it make business sense to do that" conversation. it doesn't. Mfgs make more money when you buy TVs with new features, not update the ones you already have with the features you want.

That being said, that's also why I'm with you on buying today. I bought my C7 and it's great. No regrets. There will certainly be bugs and issues to iron out before we're down to one standard for VRR anyway, so i'll buy another one in 2-4 years when that's all sorted.

ascii42

Xbox One X is supposedly going to support HDMI 2.1's VRR, but I guess that remains to be seen.

AddiF

I am now convinced my E6 has burn-in. Link's hearts are forever imprinted into the red pixels on my TV. Do not see it in any other color but red. Noise clean, Youtube stuck pixel videos, regular TV use, has not had much success so far.

Anyone else had this happen? Any other advice on what to do? Love my Zeldas but would love to get rid of this.. Sigh..

This is incorrect.

The physical port is identical to 2.0. It's (to the poster you quoted's point) just a matter of whether manufacturers are going to release updates to support the features, as well as what (if any) of the features are even supportable.

e.g. I'm not sure if variable refresh rate is more of a hardware issue (the tv needs a new/diff processor) or a software issue. obviously, the latter is something that could be addressed through firmware, the former not so much.

And this is before we even get into the "does it make business sense to do that" conversation. it doesn't. Mfgs make more money when you buy TVs with new features, not update the ones you already have with the features you want.

That being said, that's also why I'm with you on buying today. I bought my C7 and it's great. No regrets. There will certainly be bugs and issues to iron out before we're down to one standard for VRR anyway, so i'll buy another one in 2-4 years when that's all sorted.

OK, then I guess I need to do more research on the subject before I continue to spread (possible) misinformation.

Either way, I'm enjoying my C7 now. If/when this new tech shows up then I'll worry about it. I'm not going to hold out indefinitely waiting for new/better. This is ALWAYS new/better around the corner. At some point you need to jump in.

Chipmungus

Neo Member
Update: My EG960V has had its second panel replacement repair (this is panel #3!!!) and within 10 minutes of being turned on, my Discord window was burned - sorry, "retained", on the screen. Clearly visible against any dark colour, especially grey. No settings changed at all, out of the box "standard" preset.

As I type this, the panel has been on for 3.5 hours and 2 hours were spent playing Elite Dangerous. All of my desktop icons are visible, as are parts of the Windows taskbar which I have set to "auto-hide".

I'm done with OLEDs for the foreseeable future.

OK, then I guess I need to do more research on the subject before I continue to spread (possible) misinformation.

Either way, I'm enjoying my C7 now. If/when this new tech shows up then I'll worry about it. I'm not going to hold out indefinitely waiting for new/better. This is ALWAYS new/better around the corner. At some point you need to jump in.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/taking-hdmi-next-level-page-2

Probably the most important bits, with the connector callout being the last question. Connector hasn't actually changed since 1.4b (I don't believe)

S&V: The FAQ page on HDMI.org says, “HDMI 2.1 supersedes HDMI 2.0b and HDMI 2.1 continues to make reference to, and rely upon, HDMI 1.4b.” What does this mean in practical terms?
CP: HDMI specifications are always backwards compatible so there is always support for the huge installed base of HDMI devices. HDMI 2.1 is the latest version and therefore will supersede and eventually replace 2.0b. The 2.1 specification builds upon the foundation of the 1.4b specification and continues to make reference to it to ensure backwards compatibility with the billions of existing HDMI devices.

S&V: Will HDMI 2.0/a/b products be upgradeable to some or all aspects of 2.1 via a firmware upgrade?
CP: That is up to the individual manufacturers. They would have to plan for upgradability by designing and building it into their products. For some features it may be difficult and the best path will be to incorporate HDMI 2.1-enabled silicon.

S&V: Is the 2.1 connector the same as the one on current HDMI cables?
CP: Yes, the connector is the same.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/taking-hdmi-next-level-page-2#FUG2vytd1G0S2kWq.99

Mrbob

That answer regarding an upgrade to 2.1 is interesting. Seems like perhaps it is possible but the TVs have to already have been planned with the silicon to handle 2.1 specification. Will be interesting to see if any manufacturer offers an upgrade on existing devices. I'm going to guess no because the internal silicon won't be there. That seemed like a nice non answer to pass it off to TV manufacturers.

I am now convinced my E6 has burn-in. Link's hearts are forever imprinted into the red pixels on my TV. Do not see it in any other color but red. Noise clean, Youtube stuck pixel videos, regular TV use, has not had much success so far.

Anyone else had this happen? Any other advice on what to do? Love my Zeldas but would love to get rid of this.. Sigh..

Ugh, not happy to hear this at all. I have had something similar recently happen on my B6. I have put in around 185 hours of Persona 5 in 2 months. I haven't played the game in around 2 weeks now. I was watching some Youtube videos and some picture flaw happened to catch my eye and when I decided to check a red screen to check for any residual image persistence to my shock I found a very faint "Day" outline from the game in the top left of the screen and a couple of faint lines on the right hand of the screen where the "days left" would appear. The tv probably had around 50-75 hours of content watched on it since I've played Persona 5 and numerous compensation cycles.

Sure, during that time I played with relatively high OLED light (95) and contrast (90) but that should not be an issue. The longest individual session I had with the game was like 6 hours or so. I have ran another full hour compensation cycle to see if it would help and it has maybe a tiny amount but it is still there. I will be monitoring the situation over time to see what happens but I am disappointed in this development. Due to the fact that I have seen at least 5 different store demo units that have been running in torch mode with horrendous colored image burn doesn't bode well with me and is making me kind of regret my purchase. I have 1500 hours of power on time so far. What will the red layer look like after 3000 hours? 5000? 10000? This is frankly making me consider selling the set.

I have a 2008 1080p mid tier Panasonic plasma tv that has around 20000 hours of use with heavy gaming and it has no permanent damage to the screen. It might retain an image for days but it always went away eventually. After first hand experience and various accounts on AVS Forum and here among other places, I'm unsure if OLED will do the same.

Perhaps my use case isn't right for the current state of OLED?

Update: My EG960V has had its second panel replacement repair (this is panel #3!!!) and within 10 minutes of being turned on, my Discord window was burned - sorry, "retained", on the screen. Clearly visible against any dark colour, especially grey. No settings changed at all, out of the box "standard" preset.

As I type this, the panel has been on for 3.5 hours and 2 hours were spent playing Elite Dangerous. All of my desktop icons are visible, as are parts of the Windows taskbar which I have set to "auto-hide".

I'm done with OLEDs for the foreseeable future.

Like I have said above, I might be as well for the foreseeable future. OLED has produced some of the most beautiful images I've seen for a consumer television but I can't deal with any sort of "babying" of televisions anymore. I hate the fact that I even have to think about compensation cycles at all. Sorry about your issues.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Retention is different to burn in.

Retention is temporary.

Burn in is permanent and does not happen.

Do you use an Oled TV? I am guessing not.

Heh, foremost, I work in video production and we have a lot more displays around than your average consumer that is posting in this thread. I mean no offense in saying that or to question your credentials.

That said, pretending that "retention" and "burn-in" are unrelated terms as you did to imply I am not well-versed in this subject is misleading. I clearly stated different TVs have different susceptibility to retention, which—to me, and I don't mean to go inside baseball on you here—implies that some TVs have very little to no retention, and some have such an issue with retention that it becomes burn-in. Images that become "burned in" are first at a stage of retention; a point that could, reasonably and usually, be mostly cleared if proper steps are taken at the right time.

If you meant to say "burn in is permanent and does not happen on OLED displays", you could not be more wrong. Simply because burn-in is less common now with OLED than with Plasma does not mean it does not happen, because it can, does, and will. In fact, there are people not just in this thread but on this very page of this thread reporting as much.

And yes, I do have an OLED TV. And, I would wager off-hand that I've used, calibrated, and tested more OLED TVs than you've actually seen in person. Given you cannot admit or don't understand that OLED is susceptible not just to retention but burn-in, that wager's looking pretty safe.

Korezo

Just got a LG 2017 oled, and so far 2 hdr games I tested GT sport and R&C I feel look much better on my old plasma with R&C donwsampled. GT sport was a shocker though.. it looked like pure shit at higher res, aa all over. Love the tv though looked great when I trued my pc games.

Stiler

Heh, foremost, I work in video production and we have a lot more displays around than your average consumer that is posting in this thread. I mean no offense in saying that or to question your credentials.

That said, pretending that "retention" and "burn-in" are unrelated terms as you did to imply I am not well-versed in this subject is misleading. I clearly stated different TVs have different susceptibility to retention, which—to me, and I don't mean to go inside baseball on you here—implies that some TVs have very little to no retention, and some have such an issue with retention that it becomes burn-in. Images that become "burned in" are first at a stage of retention; a point that could, reasonably and usually, be mostly cleared if proper steps are taken at the right time.

If you meant to say "burn in is permanent and does not happen on OLED displays", you could not be more wrong. Simply because burn-in is less common now with OLED than with Plasma does not mean it does not happen, because it can, does, and will. In fact, there are people not just in this thread but on this very page of this thread reporting as much.

And yes, I do have an OLED TV. And, I would wager off-hand that I've used, calibrated, and tested more OLED TVs than you've actually seen in person. Given you cannot admit or don't understand that OLED is susceptible not just to retention but burn-in, that wager's looking pretty safe.

Through normal use most oled's should have no burn in. Oled's come with programs that run auotmatically when the tv is off that is meant to clear up image retention as well as the ability for you to run it manually if you wish.

Most oled's have a warranty and burn in should definitely be covered by it, so if anyone has burn in then they need to have it replaced because something is wrong somewhere.

In the cases of burn in on oled's it's usually from floor display models in stores that literally have them turned on all day showing the same channel with the same logos on them day in and day out without letting them cycle or changing channels.

Through normal use most oled's should have no burn in. Oled's come with programs that run auotmatically when the tv is off that is meant to clear up image retention as well as the ability for you to run it manually if you wish.

Most oled's have a warranty and burn in should definitely be covered by it, so if anyone has burn in then they need to have it replaced because something is wrong somewhere.

In the cases of burn in on oled's it's usually from floor display models in stores that literally have them turned on all day showing the same channel with the same logos on them day in and day out without letting them cycle or changing channels.

Now, I'm not saying that the guy who is claiming burn in is lying, but could he try posting a picture of it? I'm curious to see.

I had an E6 and played the hell out of Zelda, well over a hundred hours worth. There was never any burn in, or even image retention on mine at all. I'd go so far as to say OLED is rock solid on that front.

Maybe my set had the pixel shift or whatever on, and his doesn't?

I'm not worried about it on my new TV at all. Games will be played.

Korezo

Now, I'm not saying that the guy who is claiming burn in is lying, but could he try posting a picture of it? I'm curious to see.

I had an E6 and played the hell out of Zelda, well over a hundred hours worth. There was never any burn in, or even image retention on mine at all. I'd go so far as to say OLED is rock solid on that front.

Maybe my set had the pixel shift or whatever on, and his doesn't?

I'm not worried about it on my new TV at all. Games will be played.

My friends E6 has burn in, and he is mad. He went from his plasma to the oled because his plasma had image retention and burn in and it bothered him. He new oleds had the chance of getting burn in and image retention but we thought it was going to be super rare.

upload to album

Jay Sosa

Every oled review I've read warns about image retention. Which means stay the fuck away if you want to use it for gaming or, even worse, as a monitor. I've learned my lesson with Plasma TVs.

or you can let it run on some channel for a couple more hours after your gaming session to make sure there's no retention
welcome to the future of television

gamz

Every oled review I've read warns about image retention. Which means stay the fuck away if you want to use it for gaming or, even worse as a monitor. I've learned my lesson with Plasma TVs.

I've own and still own two plasma and haven't had a problem

Jamiaro

I ordered the LG OLED55B6V this morning. Price was 1499 euros, sot that's a plus! I'll get the PS4 PRO at the end of the year, so I thought this was good deal.

Thank you TheBoss1 for recommending it!

gamz

I’ve got a Panasonic Plasma and have an Xbox Logo Burned into the top right of the screen

No shit huh? Sorry about that.

I've had a Kuro and Panny and broke them in before unleashing them and got retention but never burn.

Top Bottom