• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

That's not beyond bad at all for an Edge Lit LCD. Note that the backlight is set at 20 (max) for this test.
Well, doesn't this also depends on both the amount of backlight from the TV and the room you play? My room is bright so I don't notice much of the flashlight issues. My current TV has some bleeding or whatever is called, if I go full dark on my room, I can notice it. If I turn on the lights, which is how I normally play, I can't notice it.

Most disappointing thing of all this is that I have easy access to buy a Samsung TV on discount.

robertoci

Hi guys, was redirected to here from the Rtings thread, just gotta quick question for those far more knowledgeable than I (all of you in that case!)

I'm looking for a good TV for playing the PS4 on, I currently have a Samsung T32E390S but have had no end of problems with it (flicker, picture cutting out and so on).

I can probably spend about £400 on a new one so any recommendations would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, was redirected to here from the Rtings thread, just gotta quick question for those far more knowledgeable than I (all of you in that case!)

I'm looking for a good TV for playing the PS4 on, I currently have a Samsung T32E390S but have had no end of problems with it (flicker, picture cutting out and so on).

I can probably spend about £400 on a new one so any recommendations would be great.

Thanks in advance!

size?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I haven't played The Last of Us on PS4 for awhile and when I did it was on a Kuro plasma. Has there always been a bit of motion blur in this game or is it the TV/move to LCD? I know motion resolution is going to be a lot less than a plasma and this TV doesn't have motion related settings but something feels different (game mode or not) on both 30/60fps modes. Plasma is dead so I can't really A and B it with my new TCL 55p. All the grays in this game kind of make it easier to notice DSE though heh...

Guess I should try more games.

For owners of a B6 or any 4K LG OLED, what Dolby Vision setting is the best? I know Dolby recommends Dark but man I really don't like that at all. Seems lifeless and too dim to me. Bright and Vivid make it more vibrant but to a point where it's far from realistic.

It takes quite a bit of experimenting, doesn't it? Personally HDR for movies hasn't yet blown me away. Recommend me a show/movie on Netflix that is a must with Dolby Vision please. :)

For owners of a B6 or any 4K LG OLED, what Dolby Vision setting is the best? I know Dolby recommends Dark but man I really don't like that at all. Seems lifeless and too dim to me. Bright and Vivid make it more vibrant but to a point where it's far from realistic.

It takes quite a bit of experimenting, doesn't it? Personally HDR for movies hasn't yet blown me away. Recommend me a show/movie on Netflix that is a must with Dolby Vision please. :)

I checked out that okja movie a couple nights ago. Looked pretty good. But I'm the person who likes the way "Cinema" and ISF Dark modes look.

There's a scene in a forest and anything else made the leaves look suuuuper green. Either way, the picture quality was really good overall. No idea what the movie is about (other than a big hippo looking thing).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

you watching in a dark room? Use dark

You watching in a bright room? Use bright.

That looks like screen uniformity issue and not burn in.

^ Either take it back or call LG for a panel replacement.

Your best option might be to contact LG to get that uniformity issue fixed under warranty.

Otherwise I'd take it back.

Can see the LG logo on the red and the green is just a mess, never a good idea to buy a display oled as they are usually run on torch mode with a limited display change.

That needs replaced dude.

As I kept getting some mixed signals online about whether this was burn-in or screen uniformity, I decided to give LG service a call. I let the lady know what the problem was, then video conferenced with her to show her the issue, and she then stated that I would need to have a local TV repair place diagnose the issue first.

So I call the number she gave me and talked to the technician. I was upfront about the fact that the TV was previously a display model and that I wasn't sure if the problem was with the panel, or if it was simply just burn-in. He said he would come out and check it out.

Fast forward to today, when he comes by to check on it. While he agreed that the LG logo on the red screen was obviously burn-in (I pointed it out), he didn't feel like the rest of it was. He's going to order a replacement panel through LG, which should be in within a couple of days, and then replace it right there in my living room.

I'm pretty ecstatic. I mean, I could have just taken it back to Best Buy, but I'm really glad that I can just get the issue fixed instead. And, as a bonus, this should take care of the ACTUAL burn-in on the set as well! So I'll basically have a brand new OLED. Niiiiiiice.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I'll basically have a brand new OLED. Niiiiiiice.

image.php

LG needs to add gain and offset controls, to achieve a proper and accurate 2.2 gamma, DV requires a 2.2 gamma, because current displays are still gamma based. So unless LG sends out firmware with a accurate 2.2 factory calibration, you will have to deal with bright.

Do it yourself calibration software and hardware isn't cheap, but you may be able to do it with 20 pt white balance.

blakdeth

I have what I think should be a simple question about the audio pass-through capabilities of the LG OLED55B6P, but I am having trouble finding any concrete answers. I am hoping the fine folks here can help me out.

When sent a DTS-HS MA signal, will the LG OLED55B6P pass the DTS core via its optical audio out, or will it pass 2 channel PCM?

I don't have a receiver with HDMI inputs, thus it will only accept DD and DTS signals via optical. I would like to insure that when playing a Blu-ray that has a DTS-HD MA track that I am at least receiving the DTS core portion of the audio signal.

tmdorsey

so hows the x930e compared to the x900e. i want to go 65" but torn between the two. will be using it for gaming and movies.

I think the 900e has the better lag for gaming. For movies the 930e would be better.

I had the same decision to make and opted for the 930e mainly because of the higher nits it can achieve (which is important for the contrast ratio for HDR content) and the newer processor it has. I believe the higher nits, new processor, and the more advance local dimming algorithms are the main reasons for the price difference. The more advance processor will allow this set to be updated with Dolby Vision in the next couple months also.

Kyoufu

As I kept getting some mixed signals online about whether this was burn-in or screen uniformity, I decided to give LG service a call. I let the lady know what the problem was, then video conferenced with her to show her the issue, and she then stated that I would need to have a local TV repair place diagnose the issue first.

So I call the number she gave me and talked to the technician. I was upfront about the fact that the TV was previously a display model and that I wasn't sure if the problem was with the panel, or if it was simply just burn-in. He said he would come out and check it out.

Fast forward to today, when he comes by to check on it. While he agreed that the LG logo on the red screen was obviously burn-in (I pointed it out), he didn't feel like the rest of it was. He's going to order a replacement panel through LG, which should be in within a couple of days, and then replace it right there in my living room.

I'm pretty ecstatic. I mean, I could have just taken it back to Best Buy, but I'm really glad that I can just get the issue fixed instead. And, as a bonus, this should take care of the ACTUAL burn-in on the set as well! So I'll basically have a brand new OLED. Niiiiiiice.

Awesome. LG customer service always comes through with panel replacements. You don't need to worry about burn-in when it's all fixed. Store displays are abused in the worst way.

Macaco84

Quick question for Sony xe90 owners regarding abl. Do you notice this kicking in? Especially when gaming. I loaded up gta v today and the sudden brightness changes when looking between the sky and surroundings was quite noticeable. Also the lag before the brightness changes doesn't help.

Am I being paranoid or is thus a thing with most LEDs?

I checked out that okja movie a couple nights ago. Looked pretty good. But I'm the person who likes the way "Cinema" and ISF Dark modes look.

There's a scene in a forest and anything else made the leaves look suuuuper green. Either way, the picture quality was really good overall. No idea what the movie is about (other than a big hippo looking thing).

Oh that's a good idea. That movie looks interesting as well. It's a shame that shows like Daredevil and Luke Cage really don't look all that great with DV. But that's mostly thanks to the film grain.

you watching in a dark room? Use dark

You watching in a bright room? Use bright.

Oh shit it's that simple huh. I am so damn stupid, I never realized that dark is meant for a dark room and bright for a bright room. Not very bright of me. :)

LG needs to add gain and offset controls, to achieve a proper and accurate 2.2 gamma, DV requires a 2.2 gamma, because current displays are still gamma based. So unless LG sends out firmware with a accurate 2.2 factory calibration, you will have to deal with bright.

Do it yourself calibration software and hardware isn't cheap, but you may be able to do it with 20 pt white balance.

Yeah I don't know if I'm ever gonna really go all the way with those settings. I'm not extremely picky when it comes to movies, I am with games. But I want to watch movies and shows with DV looking the best they can naturally. So who knows, maybe one of these days I'll sit down, take my time and properly calibrate it all.

But not until I am absolutely sure that this TV won't be returned or repaired and thus reset. I say this because I still worry about the retention but it's a very weird thing....

If I leave YouTube or the Xbox dashboard on for a minute or even less, I can clearly see the rectangle shapes of the YouTube app and Xbox dashboard. Especially when something is bright red or white it will be visible way too quickly. However I tried out some games that have a constant HUD like GTA V and I didn't see any retention of that. If it stays that way, I can live with that.

MetalDeer

I'm kind of surprised how decent the TCL S Series is, honestly considering saving some money and getting that instead (I only have an old 32" Vizio right now, and I'm planning to get a wall mount and some other stuff along with the new TV). Anyone here happen to have it and like it?

gimic26

Neo Member

I have a 55C6p and just picked up a 4k Blu Ray player a couple weeks ago. Total game changer for HDR and 4k. The Netflix 4k DV streams are nice and are definitely a step up compared to their normal 1080p streams but they cannot compare to a 4k HDR10 Blu Ray. Planet Earth 2, Despicable Me, Passengers and Logan are the first 4 I picked up and all of them look incredible on this TV. There are scenes in Planet Earth 2 that are beyond insane as far as clarity and expanded color and brightness.

The only games I've had a chance to play so far are ME: Andromeda on PC and Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 slim. Both are amazing in HDR.

As far as what Netflix has in 4k hdr, nothing I've seen yet is really spectacular though I hear Marco Polo and Glow look pretty good.

I have a 55C6p and just picked up a 4k Blu Ray player a couple weeks ago. Total game changer for HDR and 4k. The Netflix 4k DV streams are nice and are definitely a step up compared to their normal 1080p streams but they cannot compare to a 4k HDR10 Blu Ray. Planet Earth 2, Despicable Me, Passengers and Logan are the first 4 I picked up and all of them look incredible on this TV. There are scenes in Planet Earth 2 that are beyond insane as far as clarity and expanded color and brightness.

The only games I've had a chance to play so far are ME: Andromeda on PC and Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 slim. Both are amazing in HDR.

As far as what Netflix has in 4k hdr, nothing I've seen yet is really spectacular though I hear Marco Polo and Glow look pretty good.

That big a difference between Netflix and BR disc 4K and HDR huh? Man I can't wait to see it. Good news is, a friend of mine visits me next week and he brings his Xbox One S and PS4 Pro with him. So I'm finally gonna see some proper 4K games and movies on this monster of a TV because he also brings Star Trek Into Darkness on 4K BR disc with him.

When I get my One X later this year I will for sure buy Logan on BR. And you watch these with the standard DV bright or dark setting? Hopefully more movies will have 4K releases because the selection is still a bit on the slim side.

Mrbob

I've heard netflix 4K streaming is like having regular blu ray disc quality. Which makes sense considering Blu Ray disc is better than HD netflix streaming. Not shocked at all 4K disc crushes Netflix 4k. For TV shows I don't mind the downgrade in quality ( heck i'm still on hd stream on netflix ) but for movies I'll purchase them on disc.

I watch in low light situations and prefer ISF Bright Room.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This amused me.

TCL USA‏Verified account @TCL_USA 8h8 hours ago

The new P-Series TCL Roku TV is great for gaming with an unrivaled low lag-time, stunning 4K HDR and wide color picture performance.

DEdnp3vXgAEClWh.jpg

I've heard netflix 4K streaming is like having regular blu ray disc quality. Which makes sense considering Blu Ray disc is better than HD netflix streaming. Not shocked at all 4K disc crushes Netflix 4k. For TV shows I don't mind the downgrade in quality ( heck i'm still on hd stream on netflix ) but for movies I'll buying them on disc.

I watch in low light situations and prefer ISF Light Room.

Well, some shows like The Blacklist are very nice looking but I can't compare it with blu ray, but if it's actually going to be much better looking when I finally see a 4K BR, man that's crazy.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I feel terrible, creeping regret over buying the B7. It has not been delivered yet, but I feel like I will be disappointed. What I feel like I should have gotten is the Sony 900E. I saw my friend's 900E and it literally had the perfect picture to me. I'm afraid the oled will be too dark for me with overdone blacks.

Did you return it?

I think given the price difference is minimal, OLED is clearly the tv tech King and is considered the future that hasn't quite reached mainstream yet. The only reason it isn't everywhere is cost, so given your cost was very close you're doing ok! For me it was a choice between last years OLED vs this years LED and I chose OLED because when you take cost out of the equation it's an easy choice on picture quality. The only thing that could've swung it was 55 vs 65 but they're too pricey for me.

OLED is plenty bright. Once it's in your house it just feels like a tv, doesn't feel dim at all when its not sat next to an LED on bright. Colours pop when they're expected to and disappear when supposed to. Overdone blacks? That's not a thing is it? Don't worry it's not like watching stuff through sunglasses.

III-V

Yeah. Also I have a personal belief that Gamma and Brightness/Contrast settings are the most important, so I really want to nail he resource on those.

My LG24GM77 is actually having issues calibrating even with the X-Rite.

Yes, I agree those are the most important factors. For your monitor are you using the built in software or something else?

How important is local dimming in regards to HDR? Ive been eyeing up the samsung ku7000 which has better then average hdr scores on rtings but im not sure about the local dimming being absent.

Mrbob

Bought some 4K movies off of Amazon today with Prime day sales.

Mad Max Fury Road is like 17 bucks but only for 5 more minutes...caught it on a lightning sale at the last moment.

Also picked up Deadpool, Kingsman, and The Revenant on Prime daily deals.

Want to pick up the lego movie but not until it's under 20.

Izuna

Banned
Yes, I agree those are the most important factors. For your monitor are you using the built in software or something else?

I just found out that the 24GM77 has a broken gamma curve at the bright end which is what I was seeing. Crushed whites, basically. Confirmed by a few users.

edit: but yes, I've downloaded a bunch of other software but outside of being better for reporting how shitty the TN panel is, iProfile seems good enough to make the ICC profiles.

I stupidly decided to drink with flatmates so I didn't get any docs done, but I'm hoping to have the thread finished by the end of this or next week. I have a few questions myself, haha.

I'm trying to figure out layman's terms for D65 etc. so I can simply state that D65 is basically 6504k, no perceivable difference from 6500k -- without it sounding pointless.

I also need to find out, outside of certain versions of iPad, which mobile devices have fairly accurate colour temperature to make them a good starting point...

And that calibration for a TVs should have more information since most people won't be using PC's with ICC profiles bring available (for use with console).

Dave_6

Now it just needs to be available to pre-order. Got Spider-Man Homecoming earlier today.

EDIT: Really need to figure out what I'm going to upgrade to for a DV capable player..

The Oppo 203 is an incredibly nice piece of hardware. I've had mine for two months and definitely noticed an improvement in PQ over my One S (viewing on a B6). I know it's kinda expensive but it's easily worth it if you're an enthusiast like I am.

Wish those UHD/3D combo packs also existed over here.
Actually not sure whether to go for the UHD or 3D version since the movie is supposed to have some decent enough 3D effects?
What about the imax scenes? Will those be on the UHD disc as well? The 2D blu-ray for the first one didn't have them AFAIK, only the 3D blu-ray.

ElNino

The Oppo 203 is an incredibly nice piece of hardware. I've had mine for two months and definitely noticed an improvement in PQ over my One S (viewing on a B6). I know it's kinda expensive but it's easily worth it if you're an enthusiast like I am.
That's great to hear. I'm getting the B7 tomorrow, and I have a new receiver coming as well for 4K pass through (Marantz NR1607). I've been looking at UHD Blu Ray players and I almost bought the Philips player last week when it was on sale, but I was scared off by how small and "cheap" it looked, at least compared to traditional players. I'm 99% sold on the Oppo now... this is becoming an expensive month for me.

gimic26

Neo Member
That big a difference between Netflix and BR disc 4K and HDR huh? Man I can't wait to see it. Good news is, a friend of mine visits me next week and he brings his Xbox One S and PS4 Pro with him. So I'm finally gonna see some proper 4K games and movies on this monster of a TV because he also brings Star Trek Into Darkness on 4K BR disc with him.

When I get my One X later this year I will for sure buy Logan on BR. And you watch these with the standard DV bright or dark setting? Hopefully more movies will have 4K releases because the selection is still a bit on the slim side.

Since my 4K player doesn't have Dolby Vision yet, supposed to come in an August update from LG, these are all HDR10 on the C6's HDR standard setting I've tweaked a bit. I use DV dark when watching 4k DV Netflix although I've tweaked that setting a bit as well.

e90Mark

Thanks. The 4K + 3D combo for me, definitely. I always forget about these retailer exclusive packs. Will always go for the 4K+3D combo i fpossible
I have a One S right now. I was going to pick up the UP970, but doesn't officially support DV yet and the last time I checked it wouldn't be til late August for a FW update. It may line up with this release if true, so I'm going to hold out a little while longer before I drop some money on a new player.

I have a C6.
That's great to hear. I'm getting the B7 tomorrow, and I have a new receiver coming as well for 4K pass through (Marantz NR1607). I've been looking at UHD Blu Ray players and I almost bought the Philips player last week when it was on sale, but I was scared off by how small and "cheap" it looked, at least compared to traditional players. I'm 99% sold on the Oppo now... this is becoming an expensive month for me.
Don't bother picking anything up but a DV capable player. (Either supporting it now or promised for the future), which the Philips doesn't support.

TheBoss1

LG launches A7 OLED with HD resolution

LG has added a new member to its OLED TV family. The A7 is a more affordable OLED model with Full HD resolution but without HDR support.

LG 55-inch A7 OLED
Earlier this year, LG unveiled a full line-up of five OLED models (B7, C7, E7, G7, and W7). All of them feature 4K resolution and support for High Dynamic Range. LG is now adding the A7 model to the line-up.

As the name implies, A7 will be LG's most affordable 2017 OLED TV. To hit the lower price point, LG has implemented 1080p HD resolution, excluded support for HDR, and equipped the TV with an old version of webOS, namely webOS 2.0 that was introduced in 2015.

The Korean manufacturer has in the past few years offered several Full HD OLED TVs but most of them have seen limited uptake by consumers due to a curved form factor. LG's new A7 is completely flat and the look largely resembles that of the current B7. There are 20W stereo speakers built-in.

Despite missing 4K resolution and HDR, LG says that A7 offers the ”supreme image quality the world longs for". This includes perfect blacks, very fast response time, vivid colors, and close to perfect viewing angles.

LG A7 OLED is available only in a 55" size (55EG9A7) in select European countries, including Germany, France, Netherlands, and Austria, as well as Asia. It is listed for between 1500 to 1800 Euro, depending on your country. More information is available on LG's webpage. No launch details have been announced for the US.

TheBoss1

At that price point, I doubt this TV sells much. What they should've done is sell smaller sized OLEDs (32-50") if they wanted to reach consumers in the low-end market. I'm trying to figure out who this is targeting because this makes no sense.

Top Bottom