• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

I only own a few, and I think I've been most impressed with Logan.

(I own Arrival, Fantastic Beasts, Logan, La La Land)

Wish my digital copies would redeem as UHD.

Have a bunch saved up waiting for these studios to catch up. Anyone know if Lego Batman redeems as UHD in Vudu yet? (I already have access to that spreadsheet going around, but not sure how frequently it's updated).
It did for me on VUDU.

It's very accurate to the source but it's not a showcase UHD disc IMO.

After owning an OLED for over a month now... I honestly have to say that it looks great, but would I have spent twice as much or more for it than I did my Samsung JU71000, which I thought, and still think, looks great? Fuck no. Honestly the biggest pros for me are the fact that it's bigger by 10 inches and that it actually displays HDR correctly. I think a lot of the people here that have one tend to put it on a pedestal... and rightfully so, as it is the best technology out there are the moment, but is it head and shoulders above every single LED on the market? No. Not even compared to TVs a fraction of the price.

Ultimately it is a luxury item. It's like a Benz. Yes, the Hyundai is gonna get you to the same price, probably in the same amount of time... but you ass is going to feel slightly better knowing you got there in better fashion. It's real technology, compiled by a placebo effect that makes you justify that much higher expense, and most people really are going to give a damn. But we're nerds, every single one of us here... so it does matter. Just not as much as you think it does. Buy what you can afford and be happy with it. Do your due diligence, but don't fret over it if you can't get one for a reasonable price. It's really not as big of a deal as a lot of people here make it out to be.

If you spent twice as much, you overpaid. A 2016 55 inch has been available for $1,050 or less using credit card price matching and the 65" for ~1800-1900 or less. Doing your actual due diligence means getting benz quality for barely above Toyota price

After owning an OLED for over a month now... I honestly have to say that it looks great, but would I have spent twice as much or more for it than I did my Samsung JU71000, which I thought, and still think, looks great? Fuck no. Honestly the biggest pros for me are the fact that it's bigger by 10 inches and that it actually displays HDR correctly. I think a lot of the people here that have one tend to put it on a pedestal... and rightfully so, as it is the best technology out there are the moment, but is it head and shoulders above every single LED on the market? No. Not even compared to TVs a fraction of the price.

Ultimately it is a luxury item. It's like a Benz. Yes, the Hyundai is gonna get you to the same price, probably in the same amount of time... but you ass is going to feel slightly better knowing you got there in better fashion. It's real technology, compiled by a placebo effect that makes you justify that much higher expense, and most people really are going to give a damn. But we're nerds, every single one of us here... so it does matter. Just not as much as you think it does. Buy what you can afford and be happy with it. Do your due diligence, but don't fret over it if you can't get one for a reasonable price. It's really not as big of a deal as a lot of people here make it out to be.
Really depends on what type of media you're consuming on it. If you're in to film it's massive. Gaming right now? Not insignificant but not mind blowing. That day is coming soon though.

torontoml

So the LG 65 C/B7 is on sale here in Canada for $4400, $600 off, anyone have an educated guess on how much lower it may go later in the year?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Im assuming you tried a different hdmi cable already.

I've tried the one that came with my Switch, same problem.

Did you enable UHD on the HDMI port...?

I did, that's the only time the problem happens, if it's disabled everything works ok since it's not in HDR mode.

Only HDR content suffers, specific games or shows in Amazon and the whole netflix app seems to dislike it.

BumRush

So the LG 65 C/B7 is on sale here in Canada for $4400, $600 off, anyone have an educated guess on how much lower it may go later in the year?

So hard to tell. Do a price track on the B6 / C6 and use that as a guage, but with economic differences, more competition, etc it's not going to be apples to apples.

For example: via camelcamelcamel.com (Amazon price history graphs), the 65" C6 went from $5000 to $3000 at the end of the same year it was released...a 40% reduction.

So hard to tell. Do a price track on the B6 / C6 and use that as a guage, but with economic differences, more competition, etc it's not going to be apples to apples.

This is correct.

Prices later in the year willlargely be dictated by things we don't know yet; how many weeks of supply dealers have yet, how LG is stacking up vs competition, how aggressive they wanna get about taking market share etc.

Also, the C7 is being very well reviewed it seems, so it's not like they have some set no one wants that they're gonna need to burn the house down to get rid of.

Who knows.

If you spent twice as much, you overpaid. A 2016 55 inch has been available for $1,050 or less using credit card price matching and the 65" for ~1800-1900 or less. Doing your actual due diligence means getting benz quality for barely above Toyota price

I didn't... I said I wouldn't spend twice as much... I bought my 55 inch Samsung JU7100 2 years ago for $1,400. Bought the 65 inch E6P last month for $2,400. Most people aren't going to be as lucky as it retails for 4k.

I didn't... I said I wouldn't spend twice as much... I bought my 55 inch Samsung JU7100 2 years ago for $1,400. Bought the 65 inch E6P last month for $2,400. Most people aren't going to be as lucky as it retails for 4k.

If those are the prices you paid and that's how you feel, I can't see you doing a lot of critical viewing in a dim environment. You got a tv 10 inches bigger which destroys all non-local dimmed lcds by a huge margin in low apl and mixed apl content and you're lukewarm about it? Odd

BumRush

I'm always curious about this, when it comes to TVs...what's the % breakdown of content you watch:

-cable TV
-streaming @ 1080p
-streaming @ 4K
-UHD
-Gaming @ 1080p
-Gaming @ 4K
-Other

I game in 4k on my PC, watch UHD BDs, and stream Netflix mostly. I don't watch TV at all outside of streaming... which is a combination of 1080p, 4k UHD, and DV. I also have a standard PS4, Wii U and Xbox One S. Honestly, most of my time is spent just browsing the internet on my PC. I'll watch an episode of something on Netflix every night if I have the energy. I honestly rarely play games these days, but I buy a lot. I have 18 UHD BDs.

167891_full.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm probably going to end up buying sooner than later because I do that when I really start researching stuff.

I'm in the same boat.
I wanted a 65" B6 last year but convinced myself to wait for this years models instead.
The lowest price will for 99% be on black Friday or the days after christmas. However it's more appealing to make a purchase in the end of september or somewhere in october and when it's cozy time. Could be worth it to pay a couple of hundred dollars/euros more but don't have to bother with black friday madness.
If the 65" C7 reaches 3000 euros I'll make an instant purchase. But I'm sure it'll be cheaper than that during BF etc. It's now 3700euros in Sweden.

Also, when the X1X releases I want a shiny new 4k to be ready and set in my living room. And not to wait another two weeks until BF.

I was set to get the C7 55 inch at 2,300, now it's bumped back to 2,500. I'm told it'll come down to 2,300 later this month. Might as well wait.

Fowler

I just got the Sony A1E. My first OLED, and a huge upgrade from my old (1080p) TV. Really blown away by it... but it helps when you haven't upgraded in a while, because then everything is a "whoaaaa" moment :)

BumRush

I just got the Sony A1E. My first OLED, and a huge upgrade from my old (1080p) TV. Really blown away by it... but it helps when you haven't upgraded in a while, because then everything is a "whoaaaa" moment :)

Super interested in the Sony OLEDs. Glad you're enjoying yours

ApharmdX

Banned
Local dimming LCDs can completely turn off zones to black at basically unmeasurable levels, so how is that true?

Well, this is part of the answer:

They've been able to do that for a decade...I had the 81F from Samsung when it released. Then I got a Kuro and said, wow, those fake '0' blacks were sure a neat parlor trick. Obviously the comparison isn't as stark today but it still applies to some degree. Saying local dimming is equal to oled in 'certain conditions' is basically saying, "don't ever turn out the lights"

A FALD LCD will offer black-level performance that varies between the perfect blacks of an OLED to (in the worst case) the panel's native contrast ratio, which for a modern VA LCD panel, is worse than the best plasmas. A good local dimming algorithm will help but can't eliminate this, it's a weakness of LCD technology even with local dimming.

As an owner of a Kuro and 2012 Panny, I can say that good local dimming VA LCDs have them beat overall.

I don't agree with this necessarily. You lose 4K and HDR, of course, along with smart features, but better contrast ratio/motion/uniformity.

In reality, they are hanging with OLEDs in certain conditions because they can basically achieve pure black by shutting off LEDs.

Definitely don't agree with this. Like I said, best case, yes, but any time a FALD LCD has to do particle effects or light/dark in a single zone its performance will suffer. Even the Sony Z9D with all its zones will have situations where black level performance reverts to the panel's rather average native contrast. And you can see this on demo content when you compare it alongside OLED.

Also, the excellent anti reflective films we're seeing on TVs these days vastly increase the effective black level under normal lighting situations.

Agreed. They've come really far with anti-reflective coatings in the last couple of years. I'm very impressed with Samsung and LG's anti-glare films, off the top of my head. They are far better than what plasmas had even in their final year.

kaizoku

So I had to replace my Xbox one s which solved my problems, super weird. Some xboxes switch to HDR mode but just refuse to broadcast a HDR signal.

So about LG C6, I know there was a patch to introduce HDR game mode, but what about non-HDR games? What's the best low input lag mode to use?

There's a game picture mode but it's constantly greyed out??

Izuna

Banned
So I mentioned before about making a Calibration OT. I decided to wait until I had my own iRite Pro to do so, but after playing around with it from tomorrow evening I should get back to work on it.

Mrbob

So I had to replace my Xbox one s which solved my problems, super weird. Some xboxes switch to HDR mode but just refuse to broadcast a HDR signal.

So about LG C6, I know there was a patch to introduce HDR game mode, but what about non-HDR games? What's the best low input lag mode to use?

There's a game picture mode but it's constantly greyed out??

Do you have HDR Cinema modes? I prefer HDR Cinema Home because it's a little brighter than HDR Cinema but both work fine.

Edit: I'm dumb I was thinking you are talking about regular TV watching sorry. I change my input to PC on my C7 when I game in non HDR because the input lag is the same 21.2 ms no matter what Mode I'm in. Not sure if that's the same on the 2016 models though. If the 2016 model adds input lag to pc mode then I think you should go into standard Game mode.
Looking here seems like you should go into regular game mode:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c6-oled

kaizoku

Do you have HDR Cinema modes? I prefer HDR Cinema Home because it's a little brighter than HDR Cinema but both work fine.

Edit: I'm dumb I was thinking you are talking about regular TV watching sorry. I change my input to PC on my C7 when I game in non HDR because the input lag is the same 21.2 ms no matter what Mode I'm in. Not sure if that's the same on the 2016 models though. If the 2016 model adds input lag to pc mode then I think you should go into standard Game mode.
Looking here seems like you should go into regular game mode:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c6-oled

Yeah but I can't select game mode for some reason :/

vpance

They've been able to do that for a decade...I had the 81F from Samsung when it released. Then I got a Kuro and said, wow, those fake '0' blacks were sure a neat parlor trick. Obviously the comparison isn't as stark today but it still applies to some degree. Saying local dimming is equal to oled in 'certain conditions' is basically saying, "don't ever turn out the lights"

Didn't say equal, I said hangs with, at times :) At what point do these differences essentially become purely academic, to the average eye? FALD can get black in the dark, but that's already been discussed ad nauseam in here. See below for my main point.

Well, this is part of the answer:

Was only really talking about black level singularly, not on the whole in every kind of scene. Dimming artifacts are a different bag, which plasma has none of, of course. Agree with what you said though. But certainly the average model plasma is not in the contest anymore against the best LCDs, which is what I owned.

Agreed. They've come really far with anti-reflective coatings in the last couple of years. I'm very impressed with Samsung and LG's anti-glare films, off the top of my head. They are far better than what plasmas had even in their final year.

I think the ZT's were even better than the 9G Kuro's in that department. Hats off to Panny for getting one big checkmark against the Pios :)

Mrbob

From that article...

In the demo area, Samsung was playing content in HDR10+ on one screen and the same content in HDR10 on the other, as seen in the photo at the top of this article. I didn’t see much difference between the two, but most of the content was fairly bright. I wish the content had a greater range of bright and dark scenes, which would have illustrated the advantages of HDR10+ more dramatically.

Wish Samsung would have had a better setup.

Also, the way I interpreted that article is HDMI 2.1 is required for disc based hdr10+, but online streaming can be encoded with hdr10+ to work on current TV's.

So basically basic hdr10 is probably going to stay the standard for awhile. Also I think Dolby ends up winning here too because hdr10+ can be converted to Dolby Vision.

Theonik

requires hdmi 2.1? doesn't that make it useless for a majority of people until they buy a new tv? people are barely even on the hdr10 train
One benefit of Samsung's setup is that all the hardware sits on an external box.
If Samsung wanted they can just sell people the new processing box to upgrade.

On the one hand I'm tempted to wait until 2018 sets but on the other, I don't feel like there's any guarantee that we'll get a brand new range of fully HDMI 2.1 sets off the bat. They could be limited to just one port per TV except at the ultra high end, or there could be sets entirely lacking them.

BumRush

On the one hand I'm tempted to wait until 2018 sets but on the other, I don't feel like there's any guarantee that we'll get a brand new range of fully HDMI 2.1 sets off the bat. They could be limited to just one port per TV except at the ultra high end, or there could be sets entirely lacking them.

If you have the ability (and self-control) to wait until January's CES, maybe do that. If what's announced doesn't do anything special for you, you could grab a 2017 at a great price.

Kyoufu

I would just get an el cheapo set until devices use HDMI 2.1 as standard in a few years.

Mrbob

Get the TCL P607/P605 to tide yourself over if you are worried about not having HDMI 2.1.

If you have the ability (and self-control) to wait until January's CES, maybe do that. If what's announced doesn't do anything special for you, you could grab a 2017 at a great price.

Self-what now?

I would just get an el cheapo set until devices use HDMI 2.1 as standard in a few years.

Get the TCL P607/P605 to tide yourself over if you are worried about not having HDMI 2.1.

I don't know if the TCL in question is on sale in Australia. I vaguely recall having a lookey loo when they started making waves in reviews but don't think I could find it.

tokkun

The HDMI 2.1 spec is vaporware at the moment. It was supposed to be released months ago. So we will probably be lucky if any 2018 sets support more than a small fraction of the new features.

What's been your favorite UHD thus far (visually)?

Going to throw out some of my top 4K blu-rays at the moment too.

I think John Wick 2 is my current pick for demo video.
Then my other top ones are probably Pacific Rim, Batman v Superman, Star Trek Beyond, Life of Pi, Deadpool, and The Revenant.

I wouldn't be surprised if the visuals of Ghost in the Shell gives the John Wick 2 disc a run for its money in a couple of weeks, if Paramount doesn't skimp on the video encode and HDR work for the disc.
Really looking forward to the Resident Evil: Vendetta disc.

Grabbed Lego Batman on UHD Bluray today. Hope it blows me away on the B6.

Nice to hear this come up again. This movie seems to get on a lot video quality lists. Have thought about picking that up because of that, and because I just really want to watch some more animated movies (2D and 3DCG) with impressive video quality in the format since there's not a lot of animated movies yet.

If those are the prices you paid and that's how you feel, I can't see you doing a lot of critical viewing in a dim environment. You got a tv 10 inches bigger which destroys all non-local dimmed lcds by a huge margin in low apl and mixed apl content and you're lukewarm about it? Odd

I disagree with the "bigger is better" thought. I originally wanted a 75 inch tv, and had budgeted space/funds for it. But after seeing OLED, and just how massive a jump in quality it is compared to anything else available, I "settled" for a 65 inch. Getting complete black, and zero bloom, is huge. While I appreciated FALD as a band aid solution, nothing was more distracting to me than having an area glow around a visible object.

Picture quality is paramount. I'll always pass up a large set for a smaller, sharper looking one.

One day 75 inch OLEDs will be available for under 10k, and it'll be awesome.

Anyone with a B/C 7 using HDR effect?

I have been using almost all devices with either Cinema or ISF Dark Room, and I'm now catching up on Game of Thrones through the Amazon app. HDR effect helps highlight darker areas, but it seems it's a separate mode, and even in "light" mode, the blue push compared to ISF Dark Room is definitely not ideal. HDR Effect seems like it more closely aligns to Standard.

I'm planning to get the set calibrated at some point. Do I need to get it separately calibrated for the HDR Effect setting? It would be great to use that on light or medium with the same color temp as ISF Dark Room...

I'm not sure if there's a source for that, but below is an excerpt from an interview with Chris Pasqualino, HDMI Forum Chairman, from mid-April:

S&V: When can we expect to see the first HDMI 2.1-capable products?
CP: We can't speak for the manufacturers as their product plans are up to them. But many of the 83 HDMI Forum member companies have been actively working on the specification for quite some time, so there is already some momentum in product planning.

So, I'd think that we likely see stuff in 2018...

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/taking-hdmi-next-level-page-2

Wish my digital copies would redeem as UHD.

Have a bunch saved up waiting for these studios to catch up. Anyone know if Lego Batman redeems as UHD in Vudu yet? (I already have access to that spreadsheet going around, but not sure how frequently it's updated).

They really need to clean this UHD digital copy redemption mess up as soon as possible to make it easier and more reliable so that it's not necessary to go info hunting.

I was just reading this article about it too.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...here-to-redeem-digital-copies-in-4k-uhd/39456

Lightning

Banned
Umm maybe this has been answered. Is there really that much difference between a 55" OLED TV and a 4K HDR? When playing a game cause that's all I'' be using it for will I really notice the difference? Cause there's a $3500 NZDollars difference between the TV's and while I want to get the purchase right I don't want to waste that much money if it isn't going to make that much difference to the experience.

For reference the OLED tv is $7499, 4k HDR $3999.

DieH@rd

Banned
Umm maybe this has been answered. Is there really that much difference between a 55" OLED TV and a 4K HDR? When playing a game cause that's all I'' be using it for will I really notice the difference? Cause there's a $3500 NZDollars difference between the TV's and while I want to get the purchase right I don't want to waste that much money if it isn't going to make that much difference to the experience.

For reference the OLED tv is $7499, 4k HDR $3999.

Aim for X900E and you will be fine. It's a great TV for HDR and gaming.

It's brighter than OLEDs, support great wide color gamut, Sony image processing is top of the line, and lag is low. While it has FALD, of course OLEDs are a bit better when managing extremely dark content.

Still, I would go with Sony.

RedAssedApe

Banned
are the night time scenes in the last of us supposed to look this bad in hdr?

just did a run through of the section where ellie, tess, and joel are running from the police and its raining outside. screen is so washed out looking.

Lightning

Banned
Aim for X900E and you will be fine. It's a great TV for HDR and gaming.

It's brighter than OLEDs, support great wide color gamut, Sony image processing is top of the line, and lag is low. While it has FALD, of course OLEDs are a bit better when managing extremely dark content.

Still, I would go with Sony.
Thanks man. I'll look into that one.

Macaco84

just did a run through of the section where ellie, tess, and joel are running from the police and its raining outside. screen is so washed out looking.

Sony xe90 owner here. Could be your hdmi video setting. I had a similar question a couple of pages back and was given advice to leave this at auto. Interestingly the auto setting when connected the ps4 hdr output actually defaults to 'limited' rather than the 'full' setting. Which is contrary to what you assume the setting should be. But if i set it to full things do look washed out and too bright. Apparently the rgb setting from the ps4 is bugged. Could be why. In any case, this 'limited' setting transformed my hdr content. Everything has superb contrast now.

Xiofire

I had this exact problem, and apparently it's a bug that was brought in with the first update to 1.01

I thought the same and it looks terrible, but I doubt they will fix it now after so long.
If it's any consolation, Left Behind isn't effected and is completely fixed.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I had this exact problem, and apparently it's a bug that was brought in with the first update to 1.01

I thought the same and it looks terrible, but I doubt they will fix it now after so long.
If it's any consolation, Left Behind isn't effected and is completely fixed.

Huh...I guess its not related to HDR then. I wonder if I just hadn't noticed it my last playthrough or if I had played those levels before the patch.

Man...this is like a torture test for dirty screen effect/nit picking your tv's grey uniformity. I think this is worse than sports and panning around on a blue sky...it makes me want to return my new TV since its literally like playing one of those rtings test slides lol

Top Bottom