• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Mrbob

So I have a question regarding Netflix and HDR. It seems like HDR10 kicks in on my C7 every time I start Netflix on Xbox One S. I'm not complaining but I find it curious since I don't have the 4k stream subscription. Only the HD. Its weird to me because I can choose all the HDR modes when watching House of Cards and I don't even think that show officially supports HDR. I watched House of Cards on both my PS4 and Xbox One S and there is a noticeable difference in quality. The PS4 stream looks more grainy and lacks any of the HDR effect. Wonder if I'm getting some down sampling benefit on the XB1S stream that I'm not receiving on PS4?

Speaking as a 4K media player, I have to say the PS4 is pretty disappointing now. I know Sony spoke against having a 4K UHD player in favor of streaming content, but even their streaming apps are worse than what's available on XB1S. PS4 Netflix and Amazon Prime movies both do not support 4k and HDR, neither does youtube I believe. XB1S has 4K UHD movie support, 4K HDR Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Youtube. Sony needs to get to work as a media box, they are slacking.

Other than name is there much difference in 4k Blu-ray players?

Not really unless you want to pay 500 dollars plus for an Oppo 4k uhd player which is supposed to be the cream of the crop. Considering the ability to use it as a 4k media player box overall the XB1S looks to be the most versatile. Not only is it a 4K UHD player but the big apps like Netfli and Amazon support 4K HDR as well. Only thing the XB1S is lacking right now is Dolby Vision. Hopefully MS firmware updates this support in the future.

TheBoss1

PS4 Netflix and Amazon Prime movies both do not support 4k and HDR, neither does youtube I believe. XB1S has 4K UHD movie support, 4K HDR Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Youtube. Sony needs to get to work as a media box, they are slacking.

Isn't that the vanilla PS4? I think the Pro supports 4K/HDR streams but I never checked since I just use the TV apps. It's kind of unfair to compare the X1S to the original PS4.

Mrbob

Yeah sorry I'm actually using a PS4 pro. But base ps4 can do hdr too.

I'm not seeing hdr support on PS4. From what I've read you can get 4k support on Netflix PS4 but not hdr.

So I have a question regarding Netflix and HDR. It seems like HDR10 kicks in on my C7 every time I start Netflix on Xbox One S. I'm not complaining but I find it curious since I don't have the 4k stream subscription. Only the HD. Its weird to me because I can choose all the HDR modes when watching House of Cards and I don't even think that show officially supports HDR. I watched House of Cards on both my PS4 and Xbox One S and there is a noticeable difference in quality. The PS4 stream looks more grainy and lacks any of the HDR effect. Wonder if I'm getting some down sampling benefit on the XB1S stream that I'm not receiving on PS4?

Yeah, the Netflix app for XB1 does HDR, but it also converts all non-HDR content to HDR as well, making the colors washed out. I would suggest turning HDR off in your Xbox settings when watching non-HDR content using the Netflix app. Youtube unfortunately doesn't support 4K on XB1 yet. And about PS4 Pro... it's a terrible 4K media device all around. Nothing seems to support 4K on it.

TheBoss1

Oh wow I never knew that. A system promoting 4K doesn't even do much 4K. You'd think Sony would be the one to be on top of the media game. I'm sure it will come eventually but it should have already been there.

Cross posting from another thread: If anyone owns the KS8000/9000, may I ask how's blooming in those TV's? I read somewhere that local dimming is quite terrible and you can't turn it off.

Stiler

Cross posting from another thread: If anyone owns the KS8000/9000, may I ask how's blooming in those TV's? I read somewhere that local dimming is quite terrible and you can't turn it off.

I can only speak from my experience, but the blooming for me was what killed it.

I had the tv for about 20'ish days and watching movies mainly (in a dark room) the constant "pillar of light" that the set did was just too annoying for me.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Xi8TDF2sA

Basically on the tv when you have a bright object in a mostly dark scene, instead of simply highlighting that one area it would highlight the entire vertical slice of the screen and this created a "pillar" of light basically.

That's why I decided from then on, FALD or OLED, never edge lit lcd going forward (though the x900 series is supposed to be decent in this department).

RedAssedApe

Banned
I can only speak from my experience, but the blooming for me was what killed it.

I had the tv for about 20'ish days and watching movies mainly (in a dark room) the constant "pillar of light" that the set did was just too annoying for me.

See:

Basically on the tv when you have a bright object in a mostly dark scene, instead of simply highlighting that one area it would highlight the entire vertical slice of the screen and this created a "pillar" of light basically.

That's why I decided from then on, FALD or OLED, never edge lit lcd going forward (though the x900 series is supposed to be decent in this department).

fald helps some. more so for letter boxed content but unfortunately only in some cases. for example i have the tcl 55p and all of the sets seem to have some degree of flash lighting in the corners. in full screen content you'll still see the brighter corners if anything in those corners are keeping the leds in that area active.

Cartho

GAF HELP!
So I'm on a v tight budget and have just seen this prime deal pop up:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW3Z78R/

I don't have a lot of space in my living room at all so 43" is a perfect size. Is this TV any good? £380 seems like an excellent price for a 2017 model LG 4k HDR screen. Is it too good to be true?

GAF HELP!
So I'm on a v tight budget and have just seen this prime deal pop up:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW3Z78R/

I don't have a lot of space in my living room at all so 43" is a perfect size. Is this TV any good? £380 seems like an excellent price for a 2017 model LG 4k HDR screen. Is it too good to be true?

Looks to be this?

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj6300

I'm assuming some continuity between US/UK model numbers...

E:

This might also be helpful

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/40-42-43-inch

Really want to get a 4K OLED before the release of the Xbox One X, have my eyes set on the 55" LG C7 but should I wait for TVs that will have HDMI 2.1? Has it been confirmed that Xbox One X will support HDMI 2.1?

Really want to get a 4K OLED before the release of the Xbox One X, have my eyes set on the 55" LG C7 but should I wait for TVs that will have HDMI 2.1? Has it been confirmed that Xbox One X will support HDMI 2.1?

It is in fact confirmed that it does not support 2.1, in so much as you believe the One X specs page.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one-x

(you have to click the "+" to see "full tech specs")

E: As an aside, that's the first time I noticed the page says "AMD Freesync"

Interesting. So there must be some manner of support for VRR w/ out the need for 2.1

It is in fact confirmed that it does not support 2.1, in so much as you believe the One X specs page.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one-x

(you have to click the "+" to see "full tech specs")

E: As an aside, that's the first time I noticed the page says "AMD Freesync"

Interesting. So there must be some manner of support for VRR w/ out the need for 2.1

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Brand new TV it is!

Edit: Another question, any chance of a price drop for the LG C7 in the next month or two?

Dang, was hoping the answer would be no so I can go get the TV today. Guess I gotta play the waiting game.

Haha, sorry, a little bit of snark in my answer. No one knows what deals retailers/vendors have planned and for when.

I was speaking more towards your question of "is there any chance?"

There's always a chance, that's just the risk you run buying any piece of technology, esp considering that the C7s have really just gotten out there in the last couple months.

You could:

A) Find some price tracking tool or site if you wanna see what historical has been

B) Buy from somewhere like Costco (B7 = C7 except color of frame/stand) and you have a 90 day return/price match policy

C) Find another retailer that has a good price match policy

D) Wait until we get closer to fall-ish when sometimes mfgs will run deals for "football season" (in the US anyway)

E) Wait for Black Friday (though that's usually cheaper sets, not premium/OLED)

F) Wait for TV clearance time, usually starts Feb/Mar and runs through April/May depending on supply of sets.

Or, just buy, enjoy, and don't worry about it =)

nOoblet16

So guys I need a quick answer actually as time's running out. Is this a good 4K HDR TVs? LG 43UJ630V.

It goes by model number uj6300 in US I think. IPS display, supports 10 bit, is 350nits (which is low I know).

My current TV is a fantastic 42 inch Panasonic Plasma, but I want to see 4K and HDR and use my PS Pro's ability.

Edit: So it's already been asked, the answer didn't seem as clear. I guess what I'm asking is that for that price is it a good buy?

So guys I need a quick answer actually as time's running out. Is this a good 4K HDR TVs? LG 43UJ630V.

It goes by model number uj6300 in US I think. IPS display, supports 10 bit, is 350nits (which is low I know).

My current TV is a fantastic 42 inch Panasonic Plasma, but I want to see 4K and HDR and use my PS Pro's ability.

9 posts up.

Yea just checked, guess what I'm asking is if it's a good buy for that price? Since the answer didn't see that clear apart from ratings on that website.

Dyk what model Panasonic you have? Or what year?

E: Prolly worth noting that it doesn't support Dolby Vision, but it remains to be seen how much stuff will support DV, especially on the gaming side. Only ME:A on PC so far iirc. Other than that, seems solid for the price. Even 350 nits is still very likely to outperform your Panny plasma from a brightness standpoint.

Topias

Banned
I feel terrible, creeping regret over buying the B7. It has not been delivered yet, but I feel like I will be disappointed. What I feel like I should have gotten is the Sony 900E. I saw my friend's 900E and it literally had the perfect picture to me. I'm afraid the oled will be too dark for me with overdone blacks.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I feel terrible, creeping regret over buying the B7. It has not been delivered yet, but I feel like I will be disappointed. What I feel like I should have gotten is the Sony 900E. I saw my friend's 900E and it literally had the perfect picture to me. I'm afraid the oled will be too dark for me with overdone blacks.

This is the first I think I've seen someone express regret of going pled over LCD that wasn't price related...

If I buy a 900e will you trade me?

If you know you like the picture on the 900E, and don't like darker blacks, and you can get the 900E cheaper, those are three very big reasons that you should consider the 900E.

Just because people like OLED, doesn't mean it has to be for everyone (speaking as a C7 owner)

I think you'll be happy. That OLED is plenty bright.

Topias

Banned
Let me express myself with this meme shitpost, the only way I know...

agQ0dKX.jpg

See:

Holy fuck, that looks absolutely terrible. Why is there no mention of this on RTINGS? I guess I'll have to go for OLED or one of the Sony sets.

Edit: is this with Smart LED off or above?

Mrbob

Dang, was hoping the answer would be no so I can go get the TV today. Guess I gotta play the waiting game.

Get a price quote from Cleveland Plasma. I bought my C7 from them cheaper than retail sale price.

Only downside is you have to wait for Fedex ground delivery and set it up yourself, but if you have someone to help you it's not a big deal. They double box the TV with hard styrofoam on all four corners to help minimize any damage in shipping.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Cleveland_Plasma

I've heard we have a new champ in the gaming standard.

Is the C7 really that amazing? I'm not really happy with the ks7000 and paid a small fortune here in Brazil.

Mrbob

Do what you want man but I dunno what your regret is. Do you like to have a torch on screen? I actually turn the brightness down (go to energy saving mode minimum to do so) when watching in the dark on my C7, but hey, maybe you want it bright as the sun. It's your money, we can't tell you what to do. For the same price I'd be hard pressed to choose the X900E over the B7.

I got the B7 for 1979€ with a great discount. The 900E would be 1899€.

Looks like the TV won't be delivered until the 19th earliest. The 900E is in stock right now... I don't know what to do!

Hmmmm....

That's a tough call, but I guess you can always try the B7 and exchange?

For me, it's not even close, as I absolutely value the shadow detail OLEDs provide over a bit more peak brightness. I also work during the day, with most watching being at night, so the nits issue doesn't really concern me at all; I think the C7 gets plenty bright for my tastes.

Also, all the motion handling is perfect for gaming imho.

They're great sets, but I'd send it back if you really don't think it turns out to be as good as the 900E.

I've heard we have a new champ in the gaming standard.

Is the C7 really that amazing? I'm not really happy with the ks7000 and paid a small fortune here in Brazil.

Yes. I have zero complaints. Except that I shoulda bought the 77. but, ya know, money.

Do what you want man but I dunno what your regret is. Do you like to have a torch on screen? I actually turn the brightness down (go to energy saving mode minimum to do so) when watching in the dark on my C7, but hey, maybe you want it bright as the sun. It's your money, we can't tell you what to do. For the same price I'd be hard pressed to choose the X900E over the B7.

That's where I'm at. I watched two diff calibrated plasmas since 2007 and watching TVs in standard/vivid with all that blue push and the colossal amount of brightness TVs have as standard is really hard to look at for me. It's all what you're used to and what you like. There's a reason that Vivid exists on TVs. Some people look at that and genuinely like the picture.

The C7 still needs some calibration too. Even in ISF dark, the reds are eye searing.

Holy fuck, that looks absolutely terrible. Why is there no mention of this on RTINGS? I guess I'll have to go for OLED or one of the Sony sets.

Edit: is this with Smart LED off or above?

That is a really poor video though, as the whole video was going white, not just the screen.

Look at this: 4.40 In, just a black screen with nothing else on it, absolutely atrocious, I'd never go edge.

https://youtu.be/Ve3QzrNMmVk

Topias

Banned
Hmmmm....

That's a tough call, but I guess you can always try the B7 and exchange?

For me, it's not even close, as I absolutely value the shadow detail OLEDs provide over a bit more peak brightness. I also work during the day, with most watching being at night, so the nits issue doesn't really concern me at all; I think the C7 gets plenty bright for my tastes.

Also, all the motion handling is perfect for gaming imho.

They're great sets, but I'd send it back if you really don't think it turns out to be as good as the 900E.
I will just check it out. For the price I got it, it should be straight as day. I will definitely give an "oled doubter's" opinion on it. Not sure how returning it would work. Surely I can't set it up, try it out and expect to get a full refund for it still, all the packaging ruined?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
so hows the x930e compared to the x900e. i want to go 65" but torn between the two. will be using it for gaming and movies.

I will just check it out. For the price I got it, it should be straight as day. I will definitely give an "oled doubter's" opinion on it. Not sure how returning it would work. Surely I can't set it up, try it out and expect to get a full refund for it still, all the packaging ruined?

Not sure where you bought it, or how it works across the pond, but that's exactly how it works here if you buy from Costco, BBY etc. You just take it back within the return policy.

The 900e is €1550 on amazon.fi. Is it not possible to order from there?

Best to try various settings on your B7 before sending it back.

Was wondering about this. Thought the 900E should be decently cheaper than a B7, but again, in US here.

so hows the x930e compared to the x900e. i want to go 65" but torn between the two. will be using it for gaming and movies.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930e

The Sony X900E is another great Sony LED TV. They're both quite similar, but the X930E gets a lot brighter which is great for HDR. The local dimming of the X930E also performs slightly better than the X900E, but it's difficult to justify paying more for the marginal differences. Because of this, most people should get the X900E instead.

Topias

Banned
The 900e is €1550 on amazon.fi. Is it not possible to order from there?

Best to try various settings on your B7 before sending it back.
Amazon.fi just forwards to the German site, it would be a hassle to order it from so far. No Amazon in Finland I think.

Was wondering about this. Thought the 900E should be decently cheaper than a B7, but again, in US here.

Yeah 900e is generally a lot cheaper in Europe and US but Topias got a B7 on limited special offer and the 900e has an inflated price on the Finnish site Topias used so there wasn't much price difference.

Or, just buy, enjoy, and don't worry about it =)

Thanks for the responses. I like this advice the best :)

Get a price quote from Cleveland Plasma. I bought my C7 from them cheaper than retail sale price.

Only downside is you have to wait for Fedex ground delivery and set it up yourself, but if you have someone to help you it's not a big deal. They double box the TV with hard styrofoam on all four corners to help minimize any damage in shipping.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Cleveland_Plasma

Appreciate the suggestion but when it comes to getting a TV, would rather buy it a local retailer so if I need to return for any reason, it would be most convenient.

TehOh

About to order a new TV. Is the Sony 900e worth the extra money over the TCL P607/5? $1000 is my hard limit right now. I've been hovering over that buy button on the TCL. That price is great. But, if another TV is way better within the price range, I'll go with that.

Stiler

You shouldn't be,
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled55b7v-201705074461.htm

The 900E doesn't hit that much brighter either in terms of it's sustained hdr/peaks:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

The B7 will have better blacks then the 900e as well the input lag is better on the B7.

About to order a new TV. Is the Sony 900e worth the extra money over the TCL P607/5? $1000 is my hard limit right now. I've been hovering over that buy button on the TCL. That price is great. But, if another TV is way better within the price range, I'll go with that.

I think it is worth it but I imagine it depends on who you ask.

Izuna

Banned
That sounds like a great idea. I've been calibrating my own displays as a hobby for the past few years. Through the DIY route, I've learned quite a bit about calibration and can help out if you'd like.

Oh nice, great thread idea.
Be sure to make it clear that the thread is about display calibration specifically (and not e.g. audio equalization).
Also consider that there are people who just want "good-enough" calibration without buying a calibration device (like myself lol).
Might also want to consider discouraging the sharing of white balance settings and the like due to display variation.

I like this topic, here are some good links to get started with:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226328947&postcount=130

Hey guys, I've just done a full calibration with the X-Rite i1 Display Pro so I'm ready to start work on the OT. I'm going to PM each of you (and anyone else who wants to contribute) the Google docs for the thread in due time (tomorrow maybe?)

I am actually surprised at how good some of the resource images I've got are for eye-calibration, but of course the wording and making it newcomer friendly in the OT is important. I'd also like to link to various resources if possible.

I've been thinking that including stuff like Custom Resolutions, Refresh rate Overclocking should be there as well even if it's not the meat of the OP.

III-V

Hey guys, I've just done a full calibration with the X-Rite i1 Display Pro so I'm ready to start work on the OT. I'm going to PM each of you (and anyone else who wants to contribute) the Google docs for the thread in due time (tomorrow maybe?)

I am actually surprised at how good some of the resource images I've got are for eye-calibration, but of course the wording and making it newcomer friendly in the OT is important. I'd also like to link to various resources if possible.

I've been thinking that including stuff like Custom Resolutions, Refresh rate Overclocking should be there as well even if it's not the meat of the OP.

Sounds good. Maybe include a link to that visual acuity test we did a few weeks back.

Izuna

Banned
Sounds good. Maybe include a link to that visual acuity test we did a few weeks back.

Yeah. Also I have a personal belief that Gamma and Brightness/Contrast settings are the most important, so I really want to nail he resource on those.

My LG24GM77 is actually having issues calibrating even with the X-Rite.

That picture I posted before is so good. Gunna spend all night on this after work :D

Appreciate the suggestion but when it comes to getting a TV, would rather buy it a local retailer so if I need to return for any reason, it would be most convenient.

Chris from Cleveland is actually quite active on AVS in the C7 thread. I'm sure you could PM him if you had worries concerns, or even just to feel out if you want a price

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930e The Sony X900E is another great Sony LED TV. They're both quite similar said:
[/QUOTE

thanks for this.

no problem. I've been a pretty big fan of Rtings the last six months. They do a really good job overall. They aren't always perfect, but they work really hard to keep information up to date and the overall structure/flow of their reviews is great; slices into areas you care about like "gaming performance" and then always has a section at the end that's like "here's the other sets you should consider if you're looking at this one" with pros/cons.

No misaligned incentives either. They buy their sets from retail, vs most places getting review samples, and I think the only way they get paid is through the Amazon links on their site? not sure on that part, but they seem like a good group looking to provide useful info for customers.

Top Bottom