• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Sanctuary

Most people like bright pictures.
If you're coming from an LCD rather than a Plasma TV, an OLED might appear dimmer than the TV it's replacing unless it's maxed out.

I understand that a lot of people have their TVs brighter by default out of "necessity" simply because they never pull the blinds in the day, or always have a bunch of lamps or even overhead lights on at night. But most? Do most actually like the picture brighter, or is it just something that they are used to? As far as I know, a lot (most?) of people don't even bother adjusting their sets out of the box either.

Have many simply never been inside a movie theater? Never watched TV at night in a bedroom? Who watches horror movies with the lights on?
Don't answer that.

I'd be curious to see everyone who says they keep their OLEDS cranked up and have no burn in post pictures of a red scale on their screen.

You're more likely to only see those with the issue posting than those without.

I'd be curious to see everyone who says they keep their OLEDS cranked up and have no burn in post pictures of a red scale on their screen.

Here ya go my man :)

Red screen on 65B6 OLED, everything fine

https://imgur.com/gallery/p7fCf

Ignore the flash, forgot to turn it off.

But I have both contrast and OLED light at 100 basically since I got it. I just make sure never to display any very bright images for too long. I am allergic to things like IR.

After I've had the GTA IV map temporarily burned in on a Sammy plasma years ago I am so careful with that.

Probably posted but Rtings updated their review of the TCL P607...

Update 8/1/2017: Local dimming now works with 'Game mode' enabled, as of software version 7.7.0 (build 4111).
Update 7/18/2017: It was discovered that 4:4:4 color is only properly displayed in PC mode. The TV forces PC mode when it detects a PC input. The review has been updated.

aravuus

A thread that averages less than 6 new posts a day and has a grand total of 4 people that have run into burn-in problems in the first 100 posts from what I could tell? e: the thread seems to be full of helpful people though, might read it a bit more tomorrow at work. So thanks for the link lol.

Stanning for a certain panel technology is embarrassing, but let's not blow things out of proportions here. Nobody is saying burn-in can't happen, in fact, I think everyone has fairly explicitly said "it just hasn't happened to me" or some variation of it. I mentioned thinking Kyoufu's panel might be faulty because a Netflix logo burn-in seemed absurd to me at first, but if accumulated wear is a thing - fair enough. I'm not gonna doubt it.

Burn-in is a real possibility, but none of the proof has yet to convinced me you really have to baby your TV at all, like some users like to think.

Anyway, I dropped OLED Light back to 60 for games. KH2 and Rocket League were simply too bright with the setting at 100. Might have to change things up depending on what I'm playing, though, since DA:I looked great with it at 100.

Kyoufu

This thread has been unbearable the last few pages. Sorry your TV is fucked, but let's stop blaming the technology that 99% of people have had no problem with. One incident does not effect all. My OLED has 2500 hours on it, no issues. This is simply a matter of a vocal minority plus a handful of non-OLED owners trying to justify their purchase. Sorry to paint such a broad brush but their is seriously some unjustifiable dog piling going on in this thread.

If anything, you need to be more aggressive with your issue and get LG to replace your panel. Call them. Lawyer up. Contact John Archer at Forbes who has a great relationship with LG and writes about OLEDs all the time. Do something other than talking to a chat or help person who gets paid $7 an hour.

I don't recall blaming the tech for burn-in. If anything I'm the one being blamed for burn-in lol.

Not sure why people are losing their shit suddenly.

I don't even care about a panel replacement. It's not visible in most content. Calm down fellas. I still like OLED...

manakel

I currently have a Samsung PNF8500 - one of their last (maybe the last?) plasma they made. I hate constantly worrying about burn in from logos/HUDs on video games, and was thinking about possibly selling it and putting the money toward an OLED.

It looks like that may not be the wisest thing to do?

vpance

I have owned MANY Kuro's and still have one that I gave to my Mom 2yrs ago, it Still has the best motion for 60fps games out there except a crt :,(

Having said that, my Mom watched CNN and left it on the tv all day everyday for about a year and guess what??

It has permanent image burn in. I tried many many times to get it removed, running the hour long screen wipe etc and nothing will get rid of it. So just to be clear, even the mighty Kuro can get burn in with extreme cases. I mean, i played games on that beast for years and never had a problem, so the whole thing that gaming will do it is nonesense, watching one of those news stations with permanent banners on the bottom for months at a time all day will do it!

As for the current scare of Oled's and burn in or inage retention. I have over 500hrs on my C7 and it is only used for pc/console gaming and I have had NO issues with image retention staying for any long period. I do use PC mode ISF bright , gamma 2.2 with contrast at 85 and oled picture at 35 so there is no abl.

Before the C7, I had a 65 B6. If you look at my posts in this thread, I accidentally left youtube on it and it stopped on the screen after a video with many boxes of videos with black behind then. I had absl turned off and auto dim on the tv turned off and it was left like this for 8-9 hrs. Not only did I screw this up once but I did it twice lol!! I only had to run the 1hr screen clean and the inage retention went aeay both times. So to me I wouldnt worry about normal gaming causing any issues.

For people getting burn in or inage retention on the C7, what is your contrast and Oled picture settings at??

Without any degree of babysitting the TV at all, then yeah, burn in is coming no matter which plasma or OLED. But with the Kuro I didn't have to do it even half as much as I did with the Panny. I don't doubt most people's non-significant experiences with retention on LGs though. But is most like, 80%? 95%? Who knows.

Rahvar

Ok, I am scratching my head here. I can't find a way to turn on HDR while in game mode on my B6. I should have the correct firmware, 4.31.10 (swedish tv). The ps4 pro recognizes the tv as a 4k RGB unit and HDR mode works. But I can't find HDR game mode at all. I saw some people saying that you need to have an HDR game running on the console, while a youtube video I saw of a guy from the UK managed to switch into it from the XMB.

Love the tv but it's a bit frustrating to be unable to use hdr while gaming.

Weevilone

I don't recall blaming the tech for burn-in. If anything I'm the one being blamed for burn-in lol.

Not sure why people are losing their shit suddenly.

I don't even care about a panel replacement. It's not visible in most content. Calm down fellas. I still like OLED...

It brings up the old opportunistic LCD vs higher quality tech argument. The old LCD vs plasma stuff was ridiculous. Heck you had sales people telling people that plasma needed to have an occasional gas recharge.

I was told that I had to baby my rear-projection sets, and I was told that I had to baby my plasma. Other than taking some care the first little bit of ownership, we just used them. Heck, it's possible to burn-in images on an old-school CRT if you try hard enough.

In October I subscribed to Playstation Vue (for the election, I hadn't had TV service in five years) and started watching a couple of hours of MSNBC a day and by spring I had burn-in on my 2008 Kuro.

Back in the first two or three years of ownership I also watched a couple of hours of MSNBC a day and no burn-in happened.

So my Kuro plasma finally has burn-in. Dozens of hours of repair videos haven't helped.

My hypothesis is that the sets actually get more susceptible to burn-in later in their lives as I think the phosphor brightness declines faster. I'm probably nowhere near the 60,000 half-life for the brightness but the set definitely isn't as bright as it was nine years ago.

It still has a stunning picture and the burn-in is almost always undetectable during normal use. Only during one movie do I recall noticing it. It's easily verified by putting up a solid grey or white screen, of course.

Since the burn-in I have started using low-contrast settings for viewing the news. Something I should have always done, really. When I get my OLED in November I'll only watch the news with contrast and brightness reduced.

Paragon

I understand that a lot of people have their TVs brighter by default out of "necessity" simply because they never pull the blinds in the day, or always have a bunch of lamps or even overhead lights on at night. But most? Do most actually like the picture brighter, or is it just something that they are used to? As far as I know, a lot (most?) of people don't even bother adjusting their sets out of the box either.
Yes, in my experience most people prefer to watch SDR well above the intended 100 nits brightness.
I have friends that keep the backlight cranked on their TVs - which can be many times brighter than an OLED at 100 brightness.
If they bought an OLED they would be complaining about it being dull.

Have many simply never been inside a movie theater? Never watched TV at night in a bedroom? Who watches horror movies with the lights on?
Don't answer that.
The funny thing is, theater projectors are only specified for 2000:1 contrast, and theaters are restricted from being too dark for safety reasons.
While there are some advantages to viewing films in theaters, brightness and contrast are usually lacking - even compared to a home theater projector.

Since the burn-in I have started using low-contrast settings for viewing the news. Something I should have always done, really. When I get my OLED in November I'll only watch the news with contrast and brightness reduced.
This is exactly what people want to avoid.

Kyoufu

After watching many of Vincent Teoh's reviews on his HDTVTest YouTube channel I've become more interested in specular highlights and the improved HDR performance that comes with higher peak brightness on LCD TVs. I'm really wondering if my HDMI 2.1 upgrade should be an OLED or a 2000+ nits FALD. I'm very curious to see how Dolby Vision performs on Sony's LCDs when they get the update in a couple of months and that will probably help with making a decision at some point in the future. I feel like OLED HDR, at least on my 2016 model which has somewhere in the region of 650 nits peak brightness doesn't do HDR justice. Maybe it's more of a case where SDR performance on OLED is so good that the jump to HDR isn't as pronounced? Someone who knows more about this can pitch in, but am I the only OLED owner here not terribly impressed with HDR games?

btkadams

After watching many of Vincent Teoh's reviews on his HDTVTest YouTube channel I've become more interested in specular highlights and the improved HDR performance that comes with higher peak brightness on LCD TVs. I'm really wondering if my HDMI 2.1 upgrade should be an OLED or a 2000+ nits FALD. I'm very curious to see how Dolby Vision performs on Sony's LCDs when they get the update in a couple of months and that will probably help with making a decision at some point in the future. I feel like OLED HDR, at least on my 2016 model which has somewhere in the region of 650 nits peak brightness doesn't do HDR justice. Maybe it's more of a case where SDR performance on OLED is so good that the jump to HDR isn't as pronounced? Someone who knows more about this can pitch in, but am I the only OLED owner here not terribly impressed with HDR games?
I tried Area X in Rez Infinite last night on my B7 and it blew my mind. I’ve yet to really try too many others outside of WipEout though (also amazing).

Kyoufu

I tried Area X in Rez Infinite last night on my B7 and it blew my mind. I've yet to really try too many others outside of WipEout though (also amazing).

Does Rez support HDR? When I played it, it didn't. It looks great in SDR already, that's for sure.

Jeez, some folks must have some super sight. I had uploaded these two photos

https://imgur.com/gallery/p7fCf

And one person commenting there says he/she sees some ever so slight burn in. The person posted this pic to show what he means

https://imgur.com/a/gEV12

I seriously don't see a thing. Doesn't seem the person is trolling though.

I'm not seeing anything, but if you're curious about that certain patch that was pointed out then you need to go closer to the panel to see if there's anything there.

There's something there, but I think it's just reflection.

Does Rez support HDR? When I played it, it didn't. It looks great in SDR already, that's for sure.

I'm not seeing anything, but if you're curious about that certain patch that was pointed out then you need to go closer to the panel to see if there's anything there.

Yeah. I did some really good checking and I don't see a damn thing. Phew :)

This is exactly what people want to avoid.

Honestly, watching the news using a low contrast preset doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's just the news.

Also note that I got over eight years of use out of the TV before burn-in, which is insanely good. And the news station logo is the ONLY thing that burned in. Once I went through a stretch where I played like 500 hours of Modern Warfare 2 with HUD and nothing burned in, for example.

molnizzle

Saw an open box 65" LG C6 for $2,000 in the back room of Nebraska Furniture Mart. Started licking my lips and then I noticed the "sold" tag. Feels bad man.

aaaaa0

Exactly. Honestly I'd rather not watch news on my set than get an LCD. Watching news on my tablets is something I'm completely willing to do if necessary.

I used to feel this way too, which is why I was always a plasma TV person, was always careful, always calibrated my screens properly, installed auto-cycling wallpapers, auto-hid the task bar, made sure to never leave windows maximized all the time, never to play a single game for more than a few hours at a time, always used stretch on 4:3 content, all the OCD stuff plasma owners did.

But I guess my feelings have changed over time, I'm just tired of having to be careful.

What sold me was this year I accidently left an ancient Dell UltraSharp 24" monitor (2405FPW, VA panel, was very expensive when I bought it 12 years ago) on at the Windows login prompt for 6 months. It was the worst case bright white text on black background. I had somehow changed the settings so the display would never go to sleep and left the machine powered on.

After realizing it, I discovered what looked like horrible burn-in.

But it turned out to be just image retention, and it went away completely after a day by itself. I'm still using that 12 year old monitor.

At that point I thought "screw it", and decided I'm not going to buy any display technology where I have to do anything at all to maintain it or preserve its performance. I'm just tired of worrying.

Hmm, yeah. I'm looking at the Sony STR-DN1080, and it is getting a FW update to add DV support, but I can't figure out whether that also means it will pass it through to the TV. Although, really, what else would it mean? What else is the receiver gonna do with it?

Yeah, I can't think of anything else either lol. If a receiver is getting an update to support DV then I would think that would mean that the update is to enable it to be able to allow it to pass it through.

vpance

The funny thing is, theater projectors are only specified for 2000:1 contrast, and theaters are restricted from being too dark for safety reasons.
While there are some advantages to viewing films in theaters, brightness and contrast are usually lacking - even compared to a home theater projector.

Some run of the mill theaters are shockingly dim.

Paragon

Jeez, some folks must have some super sight. I had uploaded these two photos https://imgur.com/gallery/p7fCf
And one person commenting there says he/she sees some ever so slight burn in. The person posted this pic to show what he means https://imgur.com/a/gEV12
I seriously don't see a thing. Doesn't seem the person is trolling though.
I was wondering about that too, but it seemed to change position in the two photos, so I assumed it must be a reflection of something else in your room.

J-Rzez

No burn in on my old 65EF9500, nor on my 65A1E. The fear mongering is real. And I will never go back to LED for my main tv. Contrast is the foundation of all picture quality. There's a reason people that see my TV (even those with no knowledge), peoples reaction on forums, and why professionals all pick the OLED as the most impressive. FALD is a solid band-aid for LED, but, still not better than OLED though.

Can you get burn in? Sure. If you do things you really shouldn't of course. If you're that worried about burn in, buy your set from Best Buy and get Geek Squad Portection plans on the set, they cover burn in. You might as well get it on LED Tv's while your at it in case a zone/diode burns/shorts out, or filament burn through light bleed.

Kyoufu

No burn in on my old 65EF9500, nor on my 65A1E. The fear mongering is real. And I will never go back to LED for my main tv. Contrast is the foundation of all picture quality. There's a reason people that see my TV (even those with no knowledge), peoples reaction on forums, and why professionals all pick the OLED as the most impressive. FALD is a solid band-aid for LED, but, still not better than OLED though.

For SDR, yeah, OLED wins that battle all day but not the case for HDR as professionals prefer high-end LCDs right now.

At the end of the day, no TV is perfect. Both have pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses.

holygeesus

Banned
I don't watch enough HDR for it to be the priority when choosing a TV. It might be country-dependant, but there aren't even enough discs in UHD format for me to justify even buying a UHD player yet. Especially at £20-30 a disc! Crazy.

aravuus

I don't watch enough HDR for it to be the priority when choosing a TV. It might be country-dependant, but there aren't even enough discs in UHD format for me to justify even buying a UHD player yet. Especially at £20-30 a disc! Crazy.

After seeing how goddamn good SDR content looks on the B7, I kinda feel this way too. Watching Breaking Bad last night in a dark room with those perfect blacks, that insane contrast was just amazing. Stayed up until 2am I think and now I'm feeling it lmao.

That said, maybe things are different in a few years. But right now, I'm definitely feeling the OLED more than the LED.

e: speaking of Breaking Bad, there were some low-light scenes that had this weird bit of flickering going on in it, like the light level of the darker backgrounds and such kept jumping up and down ever so slightly. Problem with Breaking Bad and/or Netflix itself? I never noticed anything like it while playing, going from pitch black to bright outside conditions felt as smooth as it could be in DA:I. I was thinking of the automatic contrast or color options, but turning them off didn't seem to do anything.

Grechy34

Just picked up a 55" C7 LG OLED for the pad yesterday. Don't move in until the end of the year though. Can't wait to get it going.

torontoml

Can someone help me out here, I rented Kong Skull Island through the PlayStation store and noticed a couple lines.

After turning up the brightness on my LG B7 I noticed this white line at the bottom of the screen, was also on the right side of the screen sometimes. Only showed up when the brightness got above 55ish.

mqlCvAn.jpg

Also noticed it when I started up Netflix on my PS4.

My aspect ratio is set to "Original" and just scan is set to "Auto"

Edit: If I play around with the Just Scan settings it seems to go away.

For lg owners i discovered WebOS will only read fat32 and ntfs format usb drives. So for OSX that's a pain as you need to download frialware to format a drive as ntfs or write to it. FAT32 is limited to 2gb per file and ex-fat wasn't recognized. Of course the lg tv doesn't tell you this - it just says no files found.

Nothing like spending 3 hours downloading a 20 minute ultra hd 4k MP4 from a site to realise how you will need to buy ultra hd blu ray discs and player.

Rahvar

Ok, looking at videos and such it doesn't seem like I am getting the HDR mode to show up at all. No matter if I try through my ps4pro or streaming through apps. Talked with a guy at Lg support who seems stumped as well. What is going on? I checked through netflix andgot the dolby vision menus to show up whileplaying hdr materials..

Really stupid question:

What's the point of removing the plastic off the back of the TV? I've got a C7 and just now noticed the film is still there. Just leave it on as an extra layer of scratch protection?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For lg owners i discovered WebOS will only read fat32 and ntfs format usb drives. So for OSX that's a pain as you need to download frialware to format a drive as ntfs or write to it. FAT32 is limited to 2gb per file and ex-fat wasn't recognized. Of course the lg tv doesn't tell you this - it just says no files found.

Nothing like spending 3 hours downloading a 20 minute ultra hd 4k MP4 from a site to realise how you will need to buy ultra hd blu ray discs and player.

Can't you stream over the network instead of loading it onto an HDD?

Ok, looking at videos and such it doesn't seem like I am getting the HDR mode to show up at all. No matter if I try through my ps4pro or streaming through apps. Talked with a guy at Lg support who seems stumped as well. What is going on? I checked through netflix andgot the dolby vision menus to show up whileplaying hdr materials..

Dumb question, but do you have the most expensive Netflix account tier? You won't get 4K/HDR otherwise.

LeleSocho

Banned
This thread has been unbearable the last few pages. Sorry your TV is fucked, but let's stop blaming the technology that 99% of people have had no problem with. One incident does not effect all. My OLED has 2500 hours on it, no issues. This is simply a matter of a vocal minority plus a handful of non-OLED owners trying to justify their purchase. Sorry to paint such a broad brush but their is seriously some unjustifiable dog piling going on in this thread.

If anything, you need to be more aggressive with your issue and get LG to replace your panel. Call them. Lawyer up. Contact John Archer at Forbes who has a great relationship with LG and writes about OLEDs all the time. Do something other than talking to a chat or help person who gets paid $7 an hour.

Wow this post is the worst of the worst, that's what you get when trying to warn people about an objectively immature (in the reliability department) technology, you get called names and painted as someone who tries to justify a purchase.
The situation is actually the opposite of what you paint.
On the internet you can't talk about the (once again objective) problems of OLED without going trough a sea of people that either downplay or straight out deny them... This is Plasma vs LCD all over again only this time the bad guy is LCD.
And this only because some kind soul would like to see when recommended an OLED set a warning that is a hundred fold more susceptible to image retention and burn in that the other sets and to take that into account when choosing a tv.

The AV community on the net is incredibly toxic and can't accept that people might have different needs or sensibilities over what has been decided what's the "absolute best".

It's not about shitting on the technology its just being aware of its shortcomings. OLED is flawed. That's just a fact at the moment.

It's beautiful. I had the galaxy tab s 10.5, and just had the s3 which has the finest super AmOLED display made. I'm a big believer in the tech. I destroyed my S3 when it got wet from the rain, and I am planning on getting another.

But its not appropriate for everyone. It depends your needs. If you're displaying stating images frequently enough, it will cause IR, period.

If you have the money, and your needs suit it, OLED is a brilliant option. Even though its like 2.5 times the price, if it didn't have the IR issues, i'd get one immediately. But with how I use it, its not a good option. I would definitely get IR, since my computer is frequently hooked up to it.

Wiped89

Sure, but again, having to keep adjusting it in fear of burn-in is just not something I think you should have to deal with. A TV - especially an expensive one - should be usable to its fullest extent without being damaged.

Have your missed the big Netflix logo tragedy that has transpired in this thread?

No I saw that. But one example of one TV with a problem is not indicative of a problem with all OLED TVs. That particular set was clearly faulty. Like I said, mine has been on 100 OLED light for four months and I have suffered no burn in at all. You don't need to baby these TVs, unless you get a faulty one, in which case it was faulty anyway.

Sanctuary

e: speaking of Breaking Bad, there were some low-light scenes that had this weird bit of flickering going on in it, like the light level of the darker backgrounds and such kept jumping up and down ever so slightly. Problem with Breaking Bad and/or Netflix itself? I never noticed anything like it while playing, going from pitch black to bright outside conditions felt as smooth as it could be in DA:I. I was thinking of the automatic contrast or color options, but turning them off didn't seem to do anything.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the exact issue, but are you sure you aren't just talking about compression artifacts? If you aren't getting the full quality of the stream (and even sometimes when you are), dark scenes can be notoriously bad looking on these sets at times. Essentially a blizzard of darkness. Take the same scene and view it on a good quality transfer on a Blu-ray though and it's almost never noticeable, if it's there at all.

If it's streaming/compression related, you shouldn't ever notice the same thing in a video game typically during normal gameplay.

Here I am still rocking my plasma, lol.

I still use mine for 720p/1080p console games. I don't care what anyone else says, you can definitely tell the difference when playing those on a 4K screen.

aravuus

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the exact issue, but are you sure you aren't just talking about compression artifacts? If you aren't getting the full quality of the stream (and even sometimes when you are), dark scenes can be notoriously bad looking on these sets at times. Essentially a blizzard of darkness. Take the same scene and view it on a good quality transfer on a Blu-ray though and it's almost never noticeable, if it's there at all.

I don't think it's the compression since it just looks so bizarre, but then again... What else could it be if it's not something I've noticed with anything else? I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by a blizzard of darkness, and it's not that. If there's a good blotch of dark, I don't know, a background wall for example, the whole wall looks like it's pulsating slightly but evenly.

I'll see if I can record a few seconds of it later today.

I don't think there's a 4k bluray set of BB, unfortunately?

Sanctuary

I don't know, a background wall for example, the whole wall looks like it's pulsating slightly but evenly.

There have been a handful of shows that have had an entire area of shadow "shift" from light to dark again and again. Maybe it would help if you could list the episode and time? I can't speak on the 2017 models, but the 2016 LG OLEDs might have "perfect blacks", but they don't have perfect above blacks up to around 10% above black. So it's going to stand out more in scenes that aren't uniform shades of dark grey. It's not really an issue on Blu-rays at least most of the time though, because there are ways to get around it, or you simply get used to the slight crush going on.

aravuus

There have been a handful of shows that have had an entire area of shadow "shift" from light to dark again and again. Maybe it would help if you could list the episode and time? I can't speak on the 2017 models, but the 2016 LG OLEDs might have "perfect blacks", but they don't have perfect above blacks up to around 10% above black. So it's going to stand out more in scenes that aren't uniform shades of dark grey. It's not really an issue on Blu-rays at least most of the time though, because there are ways to get around it, or you simply get used to the slight crush going on.

Now that I'm really staring at it, I'm kinda starting to feel like it might just be a combination of the compression and the good amount of noise BB has. It's there no matter what picture preset I use, and it's particularly pronounced in sports mode.

Still, if you want to check, it's pretty visible at around 25:11 in s2e1, when Walter is driving down a road in the middle of a night. The dark green bushes on the right are pulsating like no tomorrow. Same goes for the driveway under the two cars at 25:30. Pulsating and very noisy.

Breaking Bad looks terrible on my E6.

Game of Thrones looks even worse.

Game of Thrones looks terrible on everything. It really pisses me off that such a visual show is being streamed is such a shitty quality on everything...

(Did you watch Breaking Bad on Netflix? It should be sort of remastered in 4k there...)

Top Bottom