• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

tmdorsey

Game of Thrones looks terrible on everything. It really pisses me off that such a visual show is being streamed is such a shitty quality on everything...

The live broadcast of GoT. It's one of the worst things I've seen on my set so far. It's disappointing that the producers don't give a shit about the picture quality of their insanely popular show.

I believe I've said this before, but once again the HBO Go stream on my 930E looked damn good. Close to Blu Ray quality. I saw no artifacts in the cave scenes either.

ApharmdX

Banned
I believe I've said this before, but once again the HBO Go stream on my 930E looked damn good. Close to Blu Ray quality. I saw no artifacts in the cave scenes either.

This mirrors my experience with HBONOW- the stream quality for this season has been better. There was a lot of detail for a stream, a surprising amount really.

I didn't see artifacts in the cave or the tomb but there wasn't a lot of detail in the dark, either. I'm not sure if that was source or my display.

tmdorsey

This mirrors my experience with HBONOW- the stream quality for this season has been better. There was a lot of detail for a stream, a surprising amount really.

I didn't see artifacts in the cave or the tomb but there wasn't a lot of detail in the dark, either. I'm not sure if that was source or my display.

Yeah, I didn't see a lot dark details either so I'm thinking it was the source.

To be clear, the second statement here was my experience. I didn't see any artifacting or banding in the cave, there was simply not much detail. esp when compared to what they obviously intended you to see shown in the snippet after the credits.

Bustanen

GoT isn't even that bad, not Netflix or BD quality but watchable. Now go watch Fargo season 1 and 2, absolutely horrible during dark scenes.

I tried it on Roku and PS4... Would Xbox App be better? There's no LG app... So far it's been terrible on every TV (LG, Samsung, Hisense)

torontoml

You can try a 5% gray slide from here that will be more definitive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9FgjTtNzSy0dTZwZ3p1eGVnTG8/

but from what I can see this is a normal amount of near-black banding on a 2017 OLED. I wouldn't return it from that unless you have vignetting. There are much worse panels out there than yours.

Finally got around to doing this, opinions?

HcfWBeN.jpg

torontoml

not the absolute best I've seen, but seems like you'd barely see any of that in content beyond the one darker band.

probably wouldn't play a panel lottery over that panel.

Yeah that is pretty much the only one I've noticed. And I really don't want to end up with something worse, it will be a pain to get this packaged up again and back to where I bought it.

So I'll stick with it.

Rahvar

Can't you stream over the network instead of loading it onto an HDD?

Dumb question, but do you have the most expensive Netflix account tier? You won't get 4K/HDR otherwise.

Yeah I do. Had to redet all the settings and it worked. Weird. Love the tv though. Even non-hdr material looks stunning. Wish the ps4 youtube app supported hdr though.

Sanctuary

Wow. If your phone isn't enhancing that in a negative way somehow, I'd be super pissed. I've done all of the slides as well, and I don't have anything close to that. What I do have though, that is a minor annoyance is reverse vignetting, despite claims that the 2016 models removed it. Thing is though, you can only really see it in a pitch black room and at 1% through 5% black full screen. I think it might actually be partially why RE7 had horribly glitchy shadows too, but with normal content, you can't ever see it at all.

In that scene, when they go inside, my E6 just gave up trying to process it. There was a good few seconds of blurry nonsense. This was on Sky Atlantic HD btw, not a streaming service.

It was shockingly poor and I hope the Blu Ray doesn't have anything that bad.

Not all players (upscaling), panels and settings are the same, but even using a PS3, almost all Blu-ray content that I have looks amazing on this set, and that's not even my default way of viewing most content. The Game of Thrones Blu-rays look like Blu-rays. They don't look like compressed streams or broadcasts. In virtually every case that I've noticed so far where the picture looks like shit on this TV, it has always been compression related. You aren't wrong. Shit in, shit out, and it's not that different from music files either.

Dave_6

Here's a 5% slide on my 65" B6. Took this in a 100% pitch dark room (using the ISF Dark mode) with my iPhone 7+, and yes this makes it look quite a bit worse than it actually is. I've owned this TV since January 27th but I don't know how many hours are on it; probably used it on average an hour or two a day since. I have run two manual comp cycles and that's it. The only part of this I actually see when watching (certain) material is the right edge of the bigger middle band.

Again, this looks worse than it actually looks in person.

^The slide shown a few posts up is much lighter in their photo than mine for whatever reason.

Kyoufu

I'd be looking at getting a replacement because at least one band there looks like it'd show in regular content. Yuck.

Like JStevenson says it's a panel lottery but I'd still look at getting a replacement tbh. I wouldn't be able to deal with banding that bad.

If you don't see anything in regular content then feel free to ignore this.

GOT has to be one of the darkest and murkiest shows ever produced. Even on my plasma, it was constantly difficult to pick out detail in a great number of scenes.

Salaadin

Got my cable set up today and trying to get my X900E remote working with the cable set top box using the IR Blaster. I follow the directions exactly but get stuck on a setup screen that says "make sure the ir blaster is firmly plugged into the port"...except it is plugged in. I'm not sure what I'm overlooking here. Anyone familiar with this?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Here's a 5% slide on my 65" B6. Took this in a 100% pitch dark room (using the ISF Dark mode) with my iPhone 7+, and yes this makes it look quite a bit worse than it actually is. I've owned this TV since January 27th but I don't know how many hours are on it; probably used it on average an hour or two a day since. I have run two manual comp cycles and that's it. The only part of this I actually see when watching (certain) material is the right edge of the bigger middle band.

Again, this looks worse than it actually looks in person.

^The slide shown a few posts up is much lighter in their photo than mine for whatever reason.

hard to know if the photo is over exposing the bands there, but if that's what it looked like to my eyes I'd be swapping it.

also, god dammit people, don't look at grayscale slides unless you notice a problem in content, all it does is retina burn your eyes where banding might be. It only leads to sadness.

Same thing with the dumb red slate, if you don't see any retention in content, don't put a red slate up.

you can torture test any TV into recognizing its flaws, your best bet is to make sure you keep yourself as blissfully unaware as possible.

GoT isn't even that bad, not Netflix or BD quality but watchable. Now go watch Fargo season 1 and 2, absolutely horrible during dark scenes.

Horrible in what way?

I remember when I was watching Better call Saul and some of the night scenes looked damn right bad. I think it was showing noise and other weird artifacts. It didn't look good. Daytime scenes were a world of difference.

hard to know if the photo is over exposing the bands there, but if that's what it looked like to my eyes I'd be swapping it.

also, god dammit people, don't look at grayscale slides unless you notice a problem in content, all it does is retina burn your eyes where banding might be. It only leads to sadness.

Same thing with the dumb red slate, if you don't see any retention in content, don't put a red slate up.

you can torture test any TV into recognizing its flaws, your best bet is to make sure you keep yourself as blissfully unaware as possible.

This is very true. Never start looking for it because you won't be able to unsee it. I've had a lot of tvs in my life and none of them were flawless. Well maybe the EC930 came very close. But today while watching Hunter X Hunter I definitely noticed some banding and other things in very bright scenes. It'll always be like this.

Kyoufu

I didn't put up a red slide, not at first anyway. :(

I first saw it when using the Patapon Remastered theme on PS4. I saw a faint "NETFLIX" in the corner and was like wtf is that?! Thought it could just be something weird with the theme so I tried some slides and it wasn't the theme, it was my panel :'(

Haven't seen the burn-in in a couple of days. Our eyes rarely ever look at the corner edges of the screen.

Guys, I'm looking for a 55 inch set with 4k HDR 120hz. Is there any solution out there right now under 1000? This TV is purely a want seeing as we have a TV in every room. Really want the sony x900e, but looking for other opinions a d experience with other sets. 120 hz with good HDR and motion is what I'm looking for. Also will be watching tons of football and also gaming on it.

That's a really good set: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

And was their mid-range pick this year, like last year's Samsung KS8000 (US).

Technically the 930E is even better and brighter and fyi will get the dolby vision firmware update, not that it's necessary for good picture, but it's like $500 more so rtings also says that given the price increase (not sure if it was $500 back when they reviewed) to jump models the 900E is close enough and cheaper enough that for most the 900E, which is closer to your $1000, is recommended.

Rtings said:
The Sony X900E is another great Sony LED TV. They're both quite similar, but the X930E gets a lot brighter which is great for HDR. The local dimming of the X930E also performs slightly better than the X900E, but it's difficult to justify paying more for the marginal differences. Because of this, most people should get the X900E instead.

aaaaa0

Technically the 930E is even better and brighter and fyi will get the dolby vision firmware update, not that it's necessary for good picture, but it's like $500 more so rtings also says that given the price increase (not sure if it was $500 back when they reviewed) to jump models the 900E is close enough and cheaper enough that for most the 900E, which is closer to your $1000, is recommended.

I wish the 930E was available in 75".

I want 75" but that means I have to step up to the 940E, which is a lot more expensive and has awful motion blur.

ApharmdX

Banned
I rewatched that Game of Thrones scene on my 2011 Panasonic plasma, and it pulled details out of the dark that my OLED didn't. So my B7 still seems to be crushing above-blacks a bit. A few of the shots were still crushed so some of it is the source but not all.

That's been the story though with OLEDs, right? The later Panasonic plasmas, especially the 2013s, simply resolve near-black detail better.

Your banding is acceptable for an OLED IMO. My gripe would be the vignetting, which looks worse on the right side? Your full white side also shows some pink tint. Are you still in your exchange period? I might consider playing the panel lottery once.

If not, that's not a terrible uniformity result. I could live with it.

Dave_6

Your banding is acceptable for an OLED IMO. My gripe would be the vignetting, which looks worse on the right side? Your full white side also shows some pink tint. Are you still in your exchange period? I might consider playing the panel lottery once.

Are you talking about the slides I posted?

Kyoufu

For those of you posting slides with heavy banding, it might be a good idea to run a manual comp cycle. It can apparently improve uniformity.

Dave_6

just re-posting the 5% slide again, as I had my brightness up at like 68 in that last one which is why it was so bright, usually have it at about 50.

That explains the difference in why mine looked so much darker. I used ISF Dark and the OLED light is at 28 and brightness is 50.

J-P

Neo Member
I rewatched that Game of Thrones scene on my 2011 Panasonic plasma, and it pulled details out of the dark that my OLED didn't. So my B7 still seems to be crushing above-blacks a bit. A few of the shots were still crushed so some of it is the source but not all.

That's been the story though with OLEDs, right? The later Panasonic plasmas, especially the 2013s, simply resolve near-black detail better.

It's all depends on the source. With 4K material near black is fine. Even 1080P really. These TVs just don't handle lower resolution shit all that wall.

How's your 4K HDR on that set?

Lol hey it's ok, no tech is perfect but i do believe oled could be the best when they iron out all the differences like panel uniformity, higher nits and (most important to me) motion resolution. The MR on a c7 is 300 lines...there is no way i am buying a premium 4k oled when it can't even do 1080 lines. My plasma resolves 1080+ lines, you might not notice when you watch 24fps movies but when you switch to 60fps it's a complete game changer playing Nier: Automata for example. I think i'll keep my plasma for a little while longer until they iron out the kinks ;).

Motion Resolution comparison:

ZT60
zt60motioneul60.png

C7
c18wxxi.png

Again i am more impressed with everything the oled has going for (the amazing infinite contrast with HDR). However to me especially when playing high framerate games MR is King and i will gladly jump on the oled bandwagon when the display can natively do more than 1080 lines of MR beating my plasma. No BFI that ruins the hdr or introduces flickering, just natively. I believe the phillips oled is the only one that does 600 iirc natively without introducing bfi or lowering the brightness. That's impressive so hopefully Sony and LG follow. However to me 300 lines is unacceptable.

edit: Updated with higher res picture.

StMeph

I've been looking at sets recently, and what I have a hard time grasping is relative value. With GPUs and such it's easier to gauge value because performance is benchmarked and I can judge for myself if the price increase is worth the extra money to go from a 1070 to 1080 or 1080Ti.

But with TVs, even with rtings's reviews, it seems like the whole thing is still pretty vague when trying to determine for value.

TCL's 605/607 ($600-650) seems like a pretty decent set for budget HDR, and rtings even suggests it over Vizio's M-series ($700), but the P-series ($820 for 2016s) is considered superior to both, but is it $200 better?

And Sony's X900E is supposed to be a great LED set, but the prices seem absurdly high, even on sale, at $1000-1200, when OLED sets like LG's B6 or C7 can be had for $1400 on a good sale. What's the point of the X900E?

It seems like TVs operate in tiers, with major performance breakpoints, but what do you really judge when considering performance?

ApharmdX

Banned
Here's from my 65ZT60 if anyone wants to compare.

LMAO.

Lol hey it's ok, no tech is perfect but i do believe oled could be the best when they iron out all the differences like panel uniformity, higher nits and (most important to me) motion resolution. The MR on a c7 is 300 lines...there is no way i am buying a premium 4k oled when it can't even do 1080 lines. My plasma resolves 1080+ lines, you might not notice when you watch 24fps movies but when you switch to 60fps it's a complete game changer playing Nier: Automata for example. I think i'll keep my plasma for a little while longer until they iron out the kinks ;).

You're right about motion. I played Nier: Automata on plasma and it was a revelation. Plasma motion is second only to CRT.

OLED will beat your plasma in other areas, though. It's far brighter. You want higher nits but if you compare OLED alongside your ZT60 it will crush it.

Where can I get the 5% grey pattern from? Curious about my E6's uniformity since y'all are posting yours.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9FgjTtNzSy0dTZwZ3p1eGVnTG8/

It's all depends on the source. With 4K material near black is fine. Even 1080P really. These TVs just don't handle lower resolution shit all that wall.

I don't think near-black performance is any better with 4K.

LMAO.

You're right about motion. I played Nier: Automata on plasma and it was a revelation. Plasma motion is second only to CRT.
Yup, i have both a GT50 and ZT60 and the difference in fluidity is immediately noticeable. I still don't understand since they're both plasmas but the motion on the ZT is so much smoother.
OLED will beat your plasma in other areas, though. It's far brighter. You want higher nits but if you compare OLED alongside your ZT60 it will crush it.

I know, i've seen the amazing blacks along with hdr and it's amazing. Obviously my 2013 plasma doesn't compare. The nits have been increasing every year so this isn't an issue.

holygeesus

Banned
These slide pics from the 7-series OLEDs have killed any enthusiasm I had to upgrade my B6, so my wallet (and other half) thanks you.

They really seem to have taken a plunge with QC this time round. Even the Sony sets look poor.

Kyoufu

That's the one you want. I've just tested it. It isn't black, it's near-black. ;-)

My Macbook Pro was lying to me.

I loaded it up and it's so uniform, holy crap. I definitely got lucky with mine.

What I didn't get lucky with was my smartphone camera which sucks donkey balls. I can see a few bands but they're faint. No vignetting. Never seen a band in any content so yeah, I'm very pleased with the panel. Too bad about that burn-in.

Top Bottom