• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Great pics and impressions of the B6, man. Been lurking this thread and the old one for several months as I hope get a new TV this year. I settled on the B6 a couple weeks ago as the best middle ground between quality, price, features and lag - and that decision seems to have been confirmed many times over since CES. I have 2008 46" Panasonic plasma and I love it. I know I want OLED and I'm not going under 65" this time. B6 seems the best set for now.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Do I have to put up with uncalibrated images for 2 weeks to break in? I'm dying a little inside every minute.

no, do minor stuff now, just don't invest a ton of time (or money) into a calibration until the TV is up and stable for a while

J-Rzez

So reports of closed door comparo between the Sony and LG oleds gives Sony the edge. Better dark detail, and noticeably better motion. The motion thing was expected and I'm glad to hear it.

Just have to see it in person and its a done deal. Time to retire my 65EF9500, already, wow.

Now I just need Sony or LG to make a 40/43" OLED for usage on my desk as a computer monitor.

TLZ

Banned
No.
You just may have to recalibrate a bit after it "breaks in". With an OLED it won't shift much anyway.

no, do minor stuff now, just don't invest a ton of time (or money) into a calibration until the TV is up and stable for a while

Oh God thank you! I cannot bear this torture any longer :D

I just want to fix all the basic stuff. The picture is all over the place.

I found out Australia still doesn't have HDR game support! This is silly. Even though US and EU and probably elsewhere all received it in past FWs, our latest FW 4.30.95, which both US and EU have, skipped the HDR game mode :/ Had a chat with LG and they don't know when it's coming. This is just great isn't it..

Evo X

Settings on tv that I took the pics on:

Game Mode
Oled light 40
Contrast 83
Sharpness 0
Gama medium
Brightness 50
Color 47
Color Temp w43
Everything else turned off

You actually want to use a sharpness of 10. 0 artificially blurs the image on these sets.

vpance

Hands on with Sony A1

For starters, Sony showed me evidence that, like Panasonic with its EZ1000 (previewed here), it has ‘solved’ the issues with sudden greyness and noise when handling near-black image content that’s troubled LG OLED TVs up to this point. Black levels looked consistently deep and rich in detail - even with shots that caused obvious greyness on an LG E6 they had running alongside their 65A1. I should add, though, that both TVs were running in their Vivid preset - a preset which Sony now recommends you use on its OLEDs, but which certainly does not do LG’s OLEDs any favor

Sony is not a brand prone to talking about the specifications of its TVs, and wouldn’t be drawn into revealing brightness specifications for the A1 OLEDs. I was struck, though, by how unexpectedly bright the A1s looked, especially the models out on the Sony stand, where they were running consistently bright, color-rich HDR images that filled their entire screens (rather than the bright elements only taking up a small area of the available screen space as we usually get with OLED demos).

Other noticeable strengths of Sony’s OLED TVs versus previous LG models were really natural looking motion, less color noise, zero color banding in areas of fine blends, and excellent clarity and detailing - all courtesy, no doubt, of Sony’s X1 Extreme processor. A processor without which, according to Dolby, it would have been impossible to add Dolby Vision to Sony’s Z9 LCD TVs, as well as introducing it from launch on the A1 OLEDs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/01/10/hands-on-with-the-sony-a1-oled-tvs-show-stoppers/

holygeesus

Banned
I'm not trusting any show demos. I wouldn't set your heart on any of these new TVs until they are up and running in people's homes and respected sites start reviewing them. It is easy to make rivals look bad in direct comparisons, though word of improved motion and near black performance are certainly welcome.

DieH@rd

Banned
32120013431_3c91497224_z.jpg

O yeah.

vpance

Sony micro LED displays close to commercialization

Sony showcased CLEDIS (crystal LED integrated structure) large-size displays at CES 2017 in Las Vegas during January 5-8, signaling that commercial application of micro LED will soon take off, according to Taiwan-based LED makers.

Sony unveiled crystal LED display technology as early as 2012 through adopting 6.22 million micro LED chips for a 55-inch TV, the sources said. Sony dubbed the technology as CLEDIS in 2016 and plans to start production in 2017, the sources noted. Sony-developed CLEDIS large-size displays are 403mm x 453mm RGB LED panels without bezel, with each CLEDIS unit having a resolution of 320 x 360.

Since required resolution level is below 100ppi (pixel per inch) for large-size displays, 200-300ppi for smart wearable devices, over 1,000ppi for VR (virtual reality) devices and higher for smartphones, micro LED is expected to be initially applied to large-size displays and smart wearable devices, the sources analyzed.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170110PD206.html

Production this year, nice!

watership

So reports of closed door comparo between the Sony and LG oleds gives Sony the edge. Better dark detail, and noticeably better motion. The motion thing was expected and I'm glad to hear it.

Just have to see it in person and its a done deal. Time to retire my 65EF9500, already, wow.

Now I just need Sony or LG to make a 40/43" OLED for usage on my desk as a computer monitor.

Since these models are not out yet, who would be giving that closed door demo? Never trust CES impressions. :)

BumRush

So, to be fair it's not like LG and Sony had a face off at CES. If Sony showed a head to head I doubt the LG sets was optimized (not saying the Sony set isnt better, just don't trust this marketing stuff until impartial reviewers get their hands on these sets)

I know the new TVs usually become available in spring, but do the reviews come before that? Seems many reviews of 2016 TVs I read were dated in the fall. That's a long gap between ... what's up with that?

holygeesus

Banned
I know the new TVs usually become available in spring, but do the reviews come before that? Seems many reviews of 2016 TVs I read were dated in the fall. That's a long gap between ... what's up with that?

The sites that guarantee good reviews get their sets first, then the impartial ones come later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do I have to put up with uncalibrated images for 2 weeks to break in? I'm dying a little inside every minute.

Of course you can calibrate. At least get it in cinema mode and tweak basic settings. If you're really supposed to run it in then that just means the panel characteristics will change, so not worth paying for an ISF calibration day one

Basic calibration now, then in a couple weeks have another look at the settings and tweak if needed

Ein Bear

Is there a good guide to calibration that you guys can recommend?

Should be picking up an LG OLED in the next couple of weeks. I set my last TV up about 7 years ago though and am sure things must have changed a lot since then.

Dave_6

Got my 65B6 from Cleveland Plasma today.....

Comparing to the 55C6 I had this B6 blows it away. No pee stain in the middle like the C6, granted I bought the c6 new from Best Buy las month and it was an April build so it very well could have been a repackaged refurb, the b6 I got is a November build.

Updated to the newest firmware and tested with my Leo Bodnar and it is a concrete stable 27.5ms in the middle bar, no changing like the ec9300 oled I have. Bottom bar on the 65b6 shows 31.2ms which means it is less then two frames of total lag which is fantastic and my worries that this tv would be noticeable lag over the ks8000 I had had been totally alleviated.

I would 100% recommend the B6 over the C6 and the ks8000 and ks8500, which I have had all of them for. Same exact settings on the b6 shows it being so much brighter, its incredible.

Take note that comparing the newest firmware with the firmware the tv acame with 4.30.40 the tv is alot brighter and it seems that the ABL is less agressive and of course lag is bang on now.

Here are some pics, native 4K images on the tv. Please not the Monitor Audio Speakers pl300's are not hooked up yet and yes I did remove the LG Emblem and have the tv sitting flush on the floor. I plan to use some nice teak wood coffee tables for the tv to sit on and the PC.

Water cooled pc in Xforma case that I building to run 4k games on this :

Settings on tv that I took the pics on:

Game Mode
Oled light 40
Contrast 83
Sharpness 0
Gama medium
Brightness 50
Color 47
Color Temp w43
Everything else turned off

Man that looks amazing. If I didn't want to experience the passive 3D of an E6 I'd just go ahead and get a 65" B6 if I came across a great deal. I mean if home 3D is really dead then maybe I shouldn't experience it :p Love the way you have it setup as well, even it's temporary.

What's the specs of the PC?

muu

55in oled prices are getting ridiculous. I want a 65 but having a hard time justifying paying nearly double for not a whole lot of extra screen...

TLZ

Banned
Of course you can calibrate. At least get it in cinema mode and tweak basic settings. If you're really supposed to run it in then that just means the panel characteristics will change, so not worth paying for an ISF calibration day one

Basic calibration now, then in a couple weeks have another look at the settings and tweak if needed

Yes I couldn't take it anymore heh. Love the quality. I've used the isf setting to calibrate and I'm just using my eyes so far. No disc or anything.

Noticed the picture auto dims sometimes. Anyway I can turn it off?

J-P

Neo Member
55in oled prices are getting ridiculous. I want a 65 but having a hard time justifying paying nearly double for not a whole lot of extra screen...

65 vs 55 is actually pretty substantial. I totally get the budget concerns but whenever I've gone smaller to save $ I always have the nagging feeling that I should've got the bigger version.

so it seems for the b6 the color gamut in hrd game mode has been recommended to stay at normal, but when in non-hdr game mode the color gamut auto switches to wide and cannot be changed. does this impact anything at all?

Feeeling the same but I'm comittted to a 65. I went from a 27" CRT to a 46" plasma in 2008 and it only took about a week before I started wishing I'd gone bigger then. To my surprise, even my wife thought the same. She's on board for a 65" now, too. I won't settle!

Only matters to me if that better motion is in gamemode/with extra processing turned off. Can't wait till full reviews start hitting the public.

Kyoufu

Only matters to me if that better motion is in gamemode/with extra processing turned off. Can't wait till full reviews start hitting the public.

Yeah, will that better motion come at a price? Enabling TruMotion on LG's OLEDs makes games unplayable due to high input lag.

Theonik

Depends on what is used. Frame Interpolation is inherently laggy. There are many different types of processing to enhance motion though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What kind of deal you get there? They don't seem to have any OLED's in stock anymore.

I'm now also in the market for a 65B6 or B7, just want to find the best deal before I commit.

Absolutely

Every time I check their site the OLED category doesn't even work, like it's blank.

You're going to their old site. New one is: https://www.clevelandav.com/

Still though, you have to email or call for their price. It's good.

Has anyone put LED lighting strips on the back of their LG OLED? I ordered a pair of Luminoodle strips for my wall-mounted 65" B6, but I haven't decided how I'm going to attach them when there is such a difference in the in the depth of the TV between the top and bottom.

It seems if the I just attach the adhesive strips directly to the back, I'm going to wind up with a different look to the lighting between the top and bottom, especially since the TV will only be two inches or less from the wall. I figure I'll have to put some kind of inch-and-three-quarter spacing strip (styrofoam?) around the top half, set back a bit from the edge, to get the LED strip at a uniform distance top and bottom.

Before I try this, I was wondering if anyone else has tackled this issue?

Absol

Has anyone put LED lighting strips on the back of their LG OLED? I ordered a pair of Luminoodle strips for my wall-mounted 65" B6, but I haven't decided how I'm going to attach them when there is such a difference in the in the depth of the TV between the top and bottom.

It seems if the I just attach the adhesive strips directly to the back, I'm going to wind up with a different look to the lighting between the top and bottom, especially since the TV will only be two inches or less from the wall. I figure I'll have to put some kind of inch-and-three-quarter spacing strip (styrofoam?) around the top half, set back a bit from the edge, to get the LED strip at a uniform distance top and bottom.

Before I try this, I was wondering if anyone else has tackled this issue?

Yeah, I put the same led strips on mine.

I don't have mine wallmounted so I've got a bit of clearance behind. I just stuck it there lol.

Here is what it looks like from the couch:

Looked fine for me so I just left it like that lol

It would never have be any different, LG will move to the bottom of the OLED quality pile just like they have been with LCD for many years, finally some bloody competition.

BumRush

It would never have be any different, LG will move to the bottom of the OLED quality pile just like they have been with LCD for many years, finally some bloody competition.

Don't put too much stock in a "behind doors CES comparison" though...again not saying Sony's LED won't be better, but still

Top Bottom